alt-right empathy deficit entitled babies irony alert literal nazis oppressed white men racism YouTube

Racist YouTuber JonTron is even more racist than people already thought he was

Well, he’s already got the uniform

So another YouTube videogamer dude with a ludicrously enormous number of subscribers has started talking like a Nazi.

Jon “JonTron” Jafari built up his fanbase — he’s got more than 3 million subscribers on YouTube — with videos big on jokes and light on politics. But in recent months he’s started talking politics, and of course, this being 2017, it turns out that his politics are pretty terrible Trumpian/alt-right garbage.

Dude, take another look at the picture you just posted. The Founding Fathers wore leggings and powdered wigs. I don’t think a man wearing a pink hat would really faze them. But I digress.

Even some of his most devoted fans began to worry a little when, late in January, JonTron appeared on a 5-hour livestream with reactionary YouTube blabber Carl of Swindon Sargon of Akkad and basically came out as an alt-right fellow traveller.

This Sunday he managed to top even this with a surreal two-hour online debate with fellow YouTube videogamer dude Destiny. It did not go well for him, debate-wise, and over the course of the debate he revealed just how much of a racist idiot he really is.

In the JonTron subreddit, because of course there is such a thing, most of his fans seem to be a bit alarmed by his terrible opinions; he’s also lost more than 10,000 YouTube subscribers.

One industrious Redditor transcribed a number of JonTron’s more, well, colorful statements. Here are a few of them. (I haven’t gone back and checked these against the video because, well, life is short, but I believe these are mostly accurate.)

• “Wealthy blacks … commit more crime than poor whites, that’s a fact.”
  • “What is so offensive about white people saying they’d like to preserve their demographic majority?”
  • “It’s clear that whites are not allowed to speak up against their demographic um… oblivion.”
  • “[Whites] are not being killed, they’re being displaced. You are the same guy who says that Europeans displaced the native Americans but apparently, when other people do it to white Americans, it’s okay because fuck white people.”
  • “Why is it when the chinese were trying to colonise tibet, why was that a save tibet situation but when it’s white people… I’m using an analogy to try to give a parallel situation so you can see the hypocrisy.”
  • “There is an absolute disproportionate of crime committed to whites by nonwhites. There’s no arguing that, that’s just FBI statistics. But white people are not allowed to address this because it’s called racist by people like you.”
  • “I don’t recall Trump ever saying anything explicitly racist.”
  • “Nobody wants to become a minority in their own country. Why is it bad if they (whites) remain a majority?”
  • “Not all Mexicans are going to go on welfare but a lot of them are going to commit crimes. The El Salvadoreans are going to create the MS13 gangs.”
  • “These days the confederate flag has been banned, they’re burning american flags in the streets. … And I think immigration policies that haven’t been the smartest are partially to blame for that.”
  • “We’ve gotten rid of discrimination in our western countries. If you don’t think we’ve gotten rid of discrimination, you’re living in a fantasy land.”
  • “This oppression in America, it doesn’t exist.”

Though JonTron likes to present himself as a champion of Truth and Reason, most of these are alleged truths are not in fact true, and most of his opinions are decidedly unreasonable. Adding to the surreality: the earnest defender of all things white is himself half Iranian.

I think this calls for the infinite facepalm.

If god forbid you want to listen to the whole damn debate, you can find it here, all 2 hours of it.

I tried to find a watchable video with some excerpts in it, to no avail; the only ones that did contain actual clips tended to be by pasty white dudes more or less defending JonTron.

This video doesn’t have any clips in it, but it summarizes the whole JonTron mess in a relatively non-annoying way, which is really the best you can hope for on YouTube.

Oh and I forgot

@EJ

As a side-note, what I would really like to find is someone who can do proper artistic interpretation and cultural critique of games as a medium. That person would get all, and I do mean all, my viewing hours.

So… I know someone like that… but he’s French. Usul is what happens when you cross the cool teacher stereotype with a gamer and a hardline leftist. Head over to NesBlog and have a gander if you want. There’s a lot of other people writing and uploading there, and there’s a huge amount of very interesting stuff for those who can read and hear French.

Oh and, since what goes without saying still goes better when you do say it, I’ma say it : as far as cultural critique of the medium goes, FemFreq is one amazingly useful place.

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

Oh, I love PushingUpRoses! I like her reviews and her videos about old horror and point and click adventure games, especially her video about depictions of Death in video games plus her Halloween specials with her cool makeups​ she did for them. A channel she pairs up with a lot is Lazy Game Reviews (LGR) who I also like. He reviews games and does videos about the history of tech companies. His recent Tech Tale about the history of AOL is quite interesting.

PUR and LGR have done a few LPs together that I liked a lot, like Dropsy and the Dagger of Amon Ra. They’re both definitely channels to subscribe to in my book.

(Also, I know all these gaming channels because I can’t afford all the games I want so I either have to borrow them or watch LPs of them because I DO want to at least SEE the game. Plus I love commentary. The kind of LPs I like are basically podcasts you can watch.)

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

Goddamn, I need to stop writing crap on mobile. And at 4am. I did not write anything well at all.

Just go watch those channels what what I said we’re good.

GMBigKev
GMBigKev

@dslucia:

Generally anyone who got their start from the SomethingAwful forums tends to be okay (TieTuesday, Smite, Psychedelic Eyeball, Chip and Ironicus, Slowbeef and Diabetus.) I’ve seen them rip into people who use “triggered” as a joke.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Moar OT : I feel like I’m spamming but it’s probably just because it’s the slow hours of the day and all. Anyway, this shit came up.

Okay, so, comparing marijuana use to heroin addiction.

Look, I got experience with weed both as a medical and recreational drug. I also got experience with, and painful memories involving, heroin addiction. Hey, guess which one helped me off the other one’s hook ?

So obviously I’m gonna get super pissed-off if you try to teetotalsplain to me that one is “only slightly less awful” than the other.

“Our nation needs to say clearly once again that using drugs will destroy your life,” Sessions said.

Except for all the times where it won’t, and all the times where it will actually save your fucking life. And if there were any justice in life, Mr. Sessions, it’s your worthless ass that’d need that kinda saving, not mine.

Weird (Encouraged by the RESISTANCE!!!!) Eddie
Weird (Encouraged by the RESISTANCE!!!!) Eddie

@ Sinkable;

He went on to call for a revival of hardline ’80s- and ‘90s-style “educating people and telling them the terrible truth about drugs.”

I call bullshit. The “80s – 90s style” was about putting people in jail, period. What passed for “education” was a re-packaged “Reefer Madness” totalitarianism ported to pander to white suburban schools.*

Sessions reeks of the Nixon/Haldeman mentality that holds that drug users are “bad people” who aren’t going to support my agenda anyway, and I can score points with the bigot base if I speak against drugs and drug users — and the more outlandish my words are, the more the bigot base is going to eat it up.

*… and we haven’t modified the 80s – 90s style much for the new millennium, either

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I can’t believe anyone ever bought the idea that recreational marijuana use and heroin addiction are remotely equivalent. Even when I was a child going through the DARE program (that still a thing?) I knew it was bullshit. We used to laugh at the Bush Sr. era antidrug PSAS.

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

@IP:
I adore that phrase. May I quote it?

@Sinkable John:
Thanks for the recommendation. My French isn’t that good, but I might be able to follow along.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Re : Sessions. Look, don’t wish harm on others, yadda yadda. But I ain’t gonna lose any sleep over it if he catches something that calls for medical mj and dies in painful agony because relief is EVIL.

Of course he won’t, because conservatives are first and foremost fucking hypocrites and he’ll rush to the solutions as soon as he’s the one who needs them, but still, I can daydream.

@EJ

I dunno much about most of the other folks on that blog, but Karim’s CHROMA series is real nice (focused on movies though) and Usul has shifted entirely to political subjects in a series called Mes Chers Contemporains. Both are found on the Tribune Libre tab. As far as what you were looking for goes, I’d go for Usul’s older videos (where he would pick one specific aspect of gaming and game development and explore it in depth), but I’m not too sure where to find those anymore. They predate the creation of NesBlog and were originally hosted on jeuxvideo.com when it still held some semblance of relevance, but I avoid that site as much as possible now and I’m not sure they’re even still there.

The NesBlog community usually holds a rather feminist stance – they aren’t exactly flawless on that, but they certainly aren’t shitheads and own their mistakes when they happen.

So, like, as far as French independent gaming-related media goes, it’s my go-to site.

As a nice little bonus, regarding Usul at least, he speaks in a manner that is understandable even with a poor hearing of French. That’s not exactly something I have to care about, but I’ve had enough difficulties with Anglophone LPers to understand how it matters.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

Thanks to everyone pointing out the good and bad youtube video game personalities. I’ve recently started watching a lot of “top 10 X” and skyrim videos and it’s useful.

Paradoxical Intention - Mobile
Paradoxical Intention - Mobile

I have to go to work my day job soon, but I just wanted to say thank you to the people in the comments section who at least checked out my channel. <3

And a double dose of thanks for the wonderful compliments! 😀

I'll respond with something more substantial after work when I'm at a computer and not on my phone.

Newt
Newt

The only good thing that could come out of this is a new HBomb video.

While we’re waiting for that, there’s Point and Clickbait:

YouTube Launches New ‘YouTube White’ Spin-Off For Racist Gamers

Weird (Don't Mourn, ORGANIZE!!) Eddie
Weird (Don't Mourn, ORGANIZE!!) Eddie

Steve King doesn’t want his country invaded by people who have contempt for his culture and people! NAZI!!!

… and, just FYI, Jon, this ain’t “his country”….

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

re: comparing addiction to marijuana and heroin

Concurrence on the clarion cries of bullshit. I don’t know any specifics, but my girl mentioned that she used to be on some “harder things” and now I’m far more likely to hear her talk about toking (though this is far less often as of late, due to her now having a job and living in fear of random urine tests…). I may be able to infer that her path was not unlike Sinkable John’s.

Even my parents, who are normally pretty conservative, seem to advocate for marijuana legalization if nothing else–Mom because our state of Kentucky is already known for growing tobacco and making bourbon, and she thinks marijuana is no worse than either of those (plus the state could tax it as they do both of those), and Dad’s actually told me that he’s considered using it if it’s recreationally legalized–at least once, for the experience. (I’m taking the same approach.)

@Weird Eddie

Something I’ve heard before: “Pot is less illegal for affluent white people than for poor black people.”

The Bacongineer (Republican (no, not the political party in the US)
The Bacongineer (Republican (no, not the political party in the US)

I’m just gonna give out my opinions to these Youtubers:

Pewdiepie: He’s gone batshit insane and it’s more preferable to watch his old vids then unsub

Markiplier: Still a good guy and my all time fav.

JonTron: Honestly I never watch his vids

Jacksepticeye: Still a loud bastard like before

Rafael

And yet some of the same people “defending” Jafari would have us believe that games and politics don’t mix. Nothing could be further from the truth:

@Troubelle

I may be able to infer that her path was not unlike Sinkable John’s.

For her sake, I hope not, though I’m glad to hear that she’s past that now. There’s really nothing quite like experiencing that kinda pain around that age when it’s basically the last thing you need.

Urine tests are… okay, just fucking shocking. I know they’re a thing in America, but everytime I hear about it I just can’t even. It’s like jobs are basically the Matrix and people have to be miserable for better output ? ’cause I guess that would make some sense at least. More than the “health” excuse anyway.

I dunno that it’s a good kind of thinking though. Tobacco and alcohol are demonstrably more harmful than weed so it does stand to reason that if they’re legal, weed has to be too, but the taxing ? Hell naw !

Higher costs means reduced access, and it’s not exactly a rich man’s drug to begin with. Libertarians make the point that it should be more expensive than black market if legal because “luxury good” but fuck that noise, these assholes can keep their noses in their dust and out of my health necessities. Just because they’re prepared to burn ridiculous amounts of money on designer drugs for shits and giggles doesn’t mean that I should be prepared to spend even more on something that is a requirement for me to live even a semblance of a normal life.

I wouldn’t recommend the “once, for the experience” approach, heh. First time’s usually pretty bad unless you’ve got an experienced user babysitting you and watching your intake closely – and even then. Bodies tend to react in extreme ways the first time they’re introduced to THC. “The experience” starts after your brain’s adapted to this strange new chemical that makes such a mess of every train of thought. First time feels kinda queasy, to be fair. It’s a very short-lived thing, but it’s enough for some people to walk away in disgust not knowing that it gets better the next time.

“Pot is less illegal for affluent white people than for poor black people.”

Arguably that works with pretty much anything. Incidentally, and not-really-related-but-oh-well, that’s where King got his idea that “rich black people commit more crime than poor white people” – it comes down to a gross misinterpretation of the fact that a lot less whites go to jail for the same crimes.

‘course I can’t not finish on a reminder about this waste of mass and energy, who knew the real dangers of cannabis : that white women were using it and then having sex with black men.

Keep that on hand for the next time someone tells you that no, cannabis law ain’t racist.

ETA : @Bacongineer

Mind the comments policy, please. I’m batshit insane. Pewdiepie’s just an asshole. That distinction’s dear to me.

Rhuu
Rhuu

@The Bacongineer (Republican (no, not the political party in the US)

batshit insane

Comments policy, please.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ sinkable john

Obviously with the caveat that everyone’s experience may differ, I must confess my ‘first time’ was amazing. It really was a case of “Wow; why isn’t this stuff in the tap water?”. I was lucky that I’d did have good babysitters. Like you say, I think that’s pretty essential. The worst part for me was that I didn’t smoke straights so there was just the general coughing anyway.

But it reminded me of when I first smelled curry as a kid and thought ‘wouldn’t it be great if it tasted as good as it smells?’ and then found out it did.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

@The Bacongineer

Pewdiepie: He’s gone batshit insane

I haven’t seen you around before, so if you are in fact a newcomer, welcome! However, please read the comments policy (link at the top of the page) especially the part about using references to mental illness as an insult (short version: don’t).

Does anyone have the link to the welcome package? I can’t seem to find it. 😛

edit: ooops, i’ve been ninja’d 🙂

Hambeast (fan of diversity)
Hambeast (fan of diversity)

Guess I’ll bookmark this for later since I’m not looking to subscribe to more YT channels right now (I spend more time on YT than I’d like, IOW.)

I really hope the current US administration has other shiny things to capture its attention besides cannabis because they’ll have to pry mine out of my cold, dead hands. Jeff Sessions can walk on all the legos and forever have that one piece (that you can never seem to evict) of kitty litter in all his socks!

Pot was the only thing that disrupted my horrible cycle of pain/NSAIDs/disrupted sleep. I hadn’t really realized how bad it was until I went through my bank records a few years ago and started looking at my drug store receipts; I was buying more ibuprofen, aspirin, and naproxen than I ever realized! It was a bit scary…

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@Sinkable John

re: my girl’s experience || your experience

I don’t know, and I’m not about to grill her about it, maaaaaaan. She wants to reveal her backstory, that’s on her own time, not by my command.

re: taxing the weed

Hey, it’s my Mom. Her view was that the tax makes the state money. But your point is more vital when it comes to quality of life.

re: approach to actually trying weed if legalized (because a. I’m chicken and b. I have no idea where the hell I’d actually get it right now even if I wasn’t)

Fair point. Still, maybe Dad would gimme a hand if that happened. (I’d make him find a friend of his own, though–in case of A Bad, he’d probably be too much for me to handle.) And as Alan said, it can apparently be subjective, so…-shruuuuuuuug- Guess I’ll buy several? Do I get bulk discounts?

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

General disclaimer ’cause that’s always useful : I always go on and on about medical weed but I don’t really draw a line between that and recreational (cure me of my insomnia, you betcha I’ll still smoke a few around bedtime). And I’m entirely against advocating for medical use only while keeping recreational use illegal. That makes no sense on a strictly health-related basis anyway. It carries a hell of a “it’s nasty, but it’s okay for sick people because lesser evil / because they’re worthless anyway” vibe. There probably is some odd parallel to make between that and how religious folks see sex as a necessary evil for the sake of procreation – I mean, dat overlap, rite.

@Alan

“Wow; why isn’t this stuff in the tap water?”

That was pretty much my first thought too. Yeah, it is different for each person, but I operate under the assumption that anyone can have a bad first go and walk away disgusted*. I had the best babysitters and I’m pretty sure I owe my entire attitude about drugs to them, including my own tendency to act as babysitter when needed.

*My mother’s a good example. She’s all for complete depenalisation without government or corporate control of the supply, she’s entirely aware of the related health matters and also advocates for legal recreational use. But she also remembers her own queasy feel in her youth that one time she smoked, and stays as far from it as possible. Now she’s got a lot of pain issues and I’m in the weird situation where I got exactly what she needs in my drawers (and shit, she’s the one paying for it in the first place !) but I still can’t help.

@Troubelle

I don’t know, and I’m not about to grill her about it, maaaaaaan.

Heh, I wasn’t suggesting that. Chances are she doesn’t exactly wanna talk about it.

Hey, it’s my Mom.

Yeah I also figured that :p you did say you have rather conservative parents.

My advice : pick someone stronk enough to carry him, in case he blissfully curls up on the floor to sleep. You wouldn’t believe how many people have pulled that one on me. I mean it’s fine, I just don’t think it’s worth the back pains for them. Oh yeah, and be warned about Increased Talkativeness Syndrom too. Side-effects include saying shit that makes no sense because you just started a sentence but then got distracted into another, completely unrelated subject, while still in the same sentence. (And now y’all know why my walls o’ text.)

I keep hearing about people who lose it and become rather risky after a smoke, but honestly I don’t buy it and I’ve never seen it happen with weed. Other drugs including alcohol, yeah, but the only way I can see weed being risky is if they have cannibalistic tendencies to begin with – it can give you some pretty bad munchies. So yeah, not likely a real problem.

The real risk is that you can have a real nasty trip and you’ll just feel miserable for a while. Not exactly dangerous per se, but unpleasant enough to warrant having someone nearby whom you trust and feel comfortable around – that’ll go miles in preventing bad trips, or helping to climb out of them and into something actually recreational.

Guess I’ll buy several? Do I get bulk discounts?

Heh. That’s where you need an experienced user with you, if only to 1) ensure you don’t get ripped off, and 2) give you an idea of how much of the stuff to roll in a single joint. Quantities sold are usually based on weight, not a “how many” basis ’cause those are extremely subjective.

But yeah, usually cost per weight tends to go down as the size of the purchase goes up. Though my experience is limited to France, where everything is basically the opposite of America. Like, weed is more expensive than hash here, for Pete’s sake.

SJW Sister
SJW Sister

Semi off-topic but YouTuber related:

Does anyone have any links to rebuttals or take-downs of Chris Ray Gun? My brother is a fan and he doesn’t understand why I think he’s awful.

I would also appreciate any good rebuttals of The Red Pill movie. I’ve been trying to Google this stuff, but I always get bombarded with exactly the opposite of what I’m looking for.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ sinkable john

I tend to agree with the description of weed as an “emotional amplifier”. So if you’re in a bad place to begin with…

If you’re generally chirpy though it’s just the cherry on top. I have literally pulled something laughing on occasions. I do though have a distinction between being stoned and being high; although they’re both enjoyable in their different ways.

It does bug me when people suggest one only does drugs for ‘bad’ reasons. Obviously sometimes they may be a crutch or a palliative. But for me they’re just one more thing that’s fun. And no one ever says “What must be missing in your life that you feel the need to go surfing?”

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@Sinkable John

Oh yeah, and be warned about Increased Talkativeness Syndrom[e] too. Side-effects include saying shit that makes no sense because you just started a sentence but then got distracted into another, completely unrelated subject, while still in the same sentence.

Buddy, I don’t think my dad would be able to tell the difference between me now and me under that!

In all seriousness, thanks for the advice. I know more now.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Troubelle

Plus, there’s already a huge amount of weed being grown there. Before the recent spate of state legalizations (mostly cos that’s when the figures I found are from and I can’t be bothered looking for more just now), Kentucky was the third-largest weed producing state, after California and Tenessee.

@Alan

So if you’re in a bad place to begin with…

I dunno about that, usually it helps me feel better, but it could be a matter of general attitude and mindset toward it ? Also depends on what kinda bad place it is, I guess. Like, if you’re not motivated to do anything today, smoking one probably won’t help.

This a hundred thousand times. That mentality might stem from the whole “there’s a catch” thing, I think. Like people assume that there’s many reasons NOT to do drugs and therefore you have to be pretty messed up if your non-strictly-medical reasons to do them outweigh those.

@Dali

B-b-but what about those evil Mexicans who smuggle it through the border ?

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@WWTH
I don’t know about now, but DARE was still going when I was in school. They hit that shit haaard…

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

This is a paper that seeks to create a rational scale of harm for drugs that can be abused. The link is to a copy that needs to be paid for, but there is this means of getting one.

There is also a Wikipedia page on drug harmfulness that contains the main comparitive harmfulness figure from the paper.

comment image

There is little to no accuracy in public discourse when it comes to drugs and harm from abuse, as well as virtually no conception of safe use levels of drugs. AND alcohol is rarely called a drug leading to inaccurate thinking and dishonest rhetoric with respect to drugs and harm.

Carl Gordon Jenkins Gordon Jenkins
Carl Gordon Jenkins Gordon Jenkins

I’ve finally found something I want to say!

Yesterday I listened to the whole debate clip and I thought I’d bring up two of my favourite parts from the conversation.

Jontron did at one point agreed that it wouldn’t be a problem for a large group of people of colour to immigrate to the US that immediately integrated properly because they would, in his words “enter the gene pool eventually and just… you know”.

There was also a fun exchange where Jontron wouldn’t explain his views on why he felt young black men were causing a disproportionate amount of crime in the US because Destiny was just trying to trick, or trap him into saying something racist. It felt like he was close to a self-realization that sadly never seemed to happen.

And finally, after hearing mentions of it here and watching a couple of reviews I picked up Horizon: Zero Dawn and it is a delight! I’m not quite finished yet but my only complaint is that there isn’t more of it.

Thanks!

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Sinkable John

B-b-but what about those evil Mexicans who smuggle it through the border ?

I suppose that goes to Texas, Arizona, and the Midwest. Cos the Southeast has been growing their own ever since the moonshiners realized there was money in it, the Northeast gets it from them, and the West Coast is full of hippies who grow their own; Cali produces more than the next three top states combined. Oregon and Washington have lower net production, but we also have hardly any population to speak of.
Around here, smuggled weed used to come down from BC if anyone bothered smuggling it anywhere. Among cannabis aficionados on the West Coast, Mexican weed has a rather poor reputation, and is generally considered to be the sort of thing that inexperienced people or those who are totally unconnected to any other users would purchase (Note: Nobody thinks that there isn’t any good weed in Mexico, just that it doesn’t get sent up here). Much like beer and wine, folk around here get really snobby about the local varieties. And it’s not like there’s ever been a shortage of local weed in Ca

By the way, is there any truth to the stereotype about neo-nazis living way out in the middle of nowhere and growing very large quantities of weed to sell ? (I personally know of one such occurence in France, so for all I know it could be a fluke.) I’ve also heard that same stereotype with nastier stuff like crank (fitting, ennit).

Dunno about back East, but around here the hippies have the weed business pretty well sewn up; crank is another matter, and yes, there are totally white supremacist gangs (some of whom call themselves militias), that make their money that way.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

@Troubelle (sorry didn’t see your comment for some reason)

The warning goes both ways, heh. He might be the one who gets talkative. (But yeah, fair point, reminds me to mention that it’s a good way to get spotted by your parents if they don’t know. I came pretty close to learning that the hard way, a few times.)

@Dali

Okay that makes a lot of sense to me. It wasn’t intuitive though, ’cause here a lot of our stuff is imported. Of course we’re told repeatedly that it all comes from [Current Middle Eastern Country We Hate]. We got this day uh when you turn 18, you have to go to your local military base to follow a “citizenship” course on Defense or something. Fucking mandatory, of course. They started that shit when they killed the draft, so I guess its entire purpose was to give the tantrumming militarists something to replace it.

The officer lectured me that the shit I smoke finances terrorism.

Like, I guess the old hippies outside town who make a living out of staffing concerts and organize a yearly punk festival in the small village next door are terrorists then. I guess, from that guy’s point of view, they probably were anyway.

Damn, so it is fitting and true. Cranks cook crank. Dat hypocrisy tho, but I’m not surprised.

Thaaaanks for all that info. Definitely helps fill the gaps I had.

So huh… hate to bother you further with questions, but huh, what’s the deal with hash ? In Europe, it’s cheaper than weed (unless you count the really good uncut stuff, which is pretty rare) but I hear it’s the other way around in America ? Do you only have the good stuff, or does weed like really come cheap, or…?

Hambeast (fan of diversity)
Hambeast (fan of diversity)

Alan & Sinkable John re:

This is true for me, but only with edibles (which I actually prefer). I have to smoke if I’m anxious, cuz edibles will turn the anxiety up to 7 or 8 for me. I think the election cemented that reaction because I was high on edibles when I found out about Troomp winning. 🙁

I live in California and saw a lot more hash before cannabis was legal for medical use. Nowadays, oils and waxes are pretty popular. Oils are used for vape pens and waxes are used with a dabbing apparatus. Dabbing is *super* potent; I still cannot do an entire hit and it lasts for 4-6 hours but I’m a bit of a lightweight.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@sinkable John
Here in Oregon, I always saw a lot more bud than hash; I was amazed by the relative prevalence of hash when I visited France as a teen. And by the weakness of the bud; the stuff around here runs considerable more potent. Which may be one reason for the lack of hash; people didn’t usually bother. On reflection, though, the hash being cheaper there makes sense:It’s a lot easier to smuggle (on which note, I’d take bets that most of the bud that’s smuggled to y’all comes down from the Netherlands, not across the Med). As Hambeast notes, since legalization I don’t think I’ve seen hash at all; everyone goes for oil or wax if they want something more concentrated than the bud.

Freemage
Freemage

Sinkable John:

The white supremacist gangs tend to focus on methamphetamines. Rural trailer parks are considered the best place for cooking the meth, because you don’t want to either A: share ventilation with another apartment or B: invest too heavily in a building that’s likely to get blown up by bad chemistry. Trailer homes fit the goal. The history of the U.S. white flight that has left many trailer parks as monochrome (in reverse) as inner-city black neighborhoods makes them more ‘friendly’ to the Neo-Nazis and others of that ilk, too.

I used to be okay with the idea of taxing weed, but then, I used to be okay with the general idea of sales taxes, period. It’s a consistent position to hold, at least.

(And in any case, legalized growers would be subject to proper income taxes, just as any other farmer, which is fine and actually would boost government revenue.)

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

*superpowered cynicism on*

I kinda figure that taxing weed is going to be a necessary evil, whether or not any of us personally agree with it – I can’t see any American politician legalising it recreationally on the federal level because it’s safer than tobacco and booze, or because it helps the chronically ill and disabled deal with their pain, or because the obscenely racist bias in enforcement is little more than a modern continuation of Jim Crow, or because fuck knows how many people have been killed in the name of the futile prohibition of a substance that itself cannot kill, or because it was only criminalised in the first place because “Oh noes black people,” or any other real, human reason… But I can sure as shit see them legalising it for the tax money.

*superpowered cynicism off*

Paradoxical Intention - Mobile
Paradoxical Intention - Mobile

SJW Sister | March 16, 2017 at 12:25 pm
Semi off-topic but YouTuber related:

Kevin Logan has a good general video about Ray Gun’s views on his “Descent of Man-osphere” series on his YouTube channel. (I’d give you links, but I’m waiting for the first of three buses home. :p)

Other than that, I couldn’t tell ya.

JM
JM

Never followed him, but a couple of channels I did watch had him appearing occasionally. Would be interested to see how many continue to do this. I really doubt Gregory Brothers would invite him again, not so sure about AVGN.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

That’s a fair point. It is difficult to pass any legislation without an appeal to greed.

@SJW Sister

Oh hey, you’ve just come out of moderation limbo, welcome !

I dunno about Chris Ray Gun, but regarding the movie, WHTM is probably a good place to start. David’s mentioned it a few times – those articles might include links to more in-depth rebuttals, if anyone’s bothered to make any.

It’s kinda difficult to disprove anything in that movie, seeing as it never leaves not-even-wrong territory.

Rhuu
Rhuu

@PI, @@SJW Sister

Here’s the link PI was mentioning:

And as John pointed out, this website is a pretty good start. Check out her tag!

@Rhuu

Whoa for some reason I was thinking about the Sarkeesian Effect, not the Red Pill, hence the “not even wrong” part.

Well, I guess the Red Pill is slightly more relevant and worthier of a nice proper rebuttal, so there might be a bunch of those out there and if I remember correctly at least some were linked to in those pages. Thanks for the links, by the way.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@SFHC

Not quite. Link to an old thread where I laid out the risks (my cites are at the bottom of the page)
As i said then, lemme know if the sources are no good/shit science. 🙂

a.k.

Since you fine folk were discussing online games I thought that I’d delurk and engage in some shameless self-promotion by suggesting that the occasional gamers amongst you might enjoy a couple of my own:

Endarkenment
Turning Sixteen

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ hambeast

edibles (which I actually prefer).

Edibles is really powerful (but nice) for me. Some years back a friend and I went to a festival protesting a particular Criminal Justice Act (my main objection being I’d have to learn a load of new stuff). We got the munchies pretty bad. We no longer had the competence to go to any of the food stalls, but as luck would have it a couple of girls were going round selling some homemade brownies. They were really nice but they gave us the munchies even more, so in the end we bought their entire supply off them. (I think that’s what they call ‘runaway positive feedback’). Anyway we slipped into a state of pleasant bliss and complete lack of awareness. Eventually we mustered the wherewithal to head home.

Upon arrival my mate’s girlfriend expressed concern. “Oh my God, thank goodness you’re ok”. We had no idea what she was on about until she turned on the news. The thing had turned into a massive riot between the protestors and the police. We’d literally walked through the middle of it completely oblivious.

“Oh, so that’s what those bonfires were”

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Axe

My propaganda senses are tingling, but I’ll take a look.\

THC and CBD have opposite effects

‘Opposite’ is simply wrong. Different, certainly. This is well known; many medical applications call for CBD rather than THC, and some strains have effectively no THC at all (>.1%).

Lung cancer. This source says it’s worse than cigarettes, other’s say the opposite. It’s complicated

No correlation has been found between cannabis usage and lung cancer

Up to 9% of users experience dependency

They say ‘dependency’, I say ‘lifesaving daily medicine’.

Stroke risk can increase with use. Again, complicated

See cancer above. Meta-analysis fails to find a correlation.

Cannabis is a ‘component cause’ (1of many, and the spectrum is vaguely defined anyway) in developing or exacerbating schizophrenia

See dependence above, and note that correlation is not causation. To wit, none of the studies which claim this appear to have thought of the possibility that persons suffering from schizophrenia are likely to self-medicate, especially in the absence of treatment.

1.8% of MJ related hospitalizations were fatal. Really low, but not nothing

I’m not turning up any other studies on this topic, everyone seems to reference this one. So I’m gonna have to call that one inconclusive.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Not to sound like a smart-ass (no, I mean that seriously)

1.8% of MJ related hospitalizations were fatal. Really low, but not nothing

Huh, are those actually MJ-related, or like… people who do things both dangerous and requiring your full attention after a smoke ?

I mean, I ask because most statistics like that I’ve ever seen usually take great pains to avoid mentioning that little thing.

Sure, don’t use power tools or drive or cook meth while baked outta your mind. Shit I barely trust myself with a keyboard right now, let alone anything that involves a lot of mecanical force and/or volatile chemicals.

Also, this :

They say ‘dependency’, I say ‘lifesaving daily medicine’.

I have what you might call a dependency. Because of the pre-existing, crippling condition of insomnia. Weed’s not the problem here, it’s the solution – sure, it’s not gonna cure me, but at least I get to sleep almost every night as long as I can stay well-supplied, and that is freaking awesome. Pretty much everyone I know’s got something they use it as a crutch for, it’s not uncommon nor especially concerning. Just means it’s useful in dealing with some of the problems of this world.

dlouwe
dlouwe

Does marijuana even have any significant withdrawal effects? Like, if I drink tea every day for a week and then stop, I’ll be wicked sleepy and have a bad headache for a day. If I smoke up every day for a week and then stop, never noticed a thing. But like, I don’t smoke a ton, so I’m not sure if there’s an impact with longer-term use.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

The Bacongineer (Republican (no, not the political party in the US) | March 16, 2017 at 9:56 am
Markiplier: Still a good guy and my all time fav.

I actually unsubbed from Mark after he put out a video semi-defending Pewdiepie after the whole “Kill all Jews” thing. It just rubbed me the wrong way. I’d been subscribed to him for years, and he’s done some questionable shit, but that was really what did it for me.

Mark didn’t defend what Felix did, mind you, just making a (very valid) point that not even Felix deserved death threats and harassment even though he was a huge scumbag, but also going “He’s not anti-semitic” over and over again, completely ignoring the fact that what he did was EXTREMELY anti-semitic, even if Felix himself doesn’t really “believe” it.

The topic of the video was “respect”, but he completely neglected to mention how disrespectful Felix’s actions were, and instead focused more on how people were harassing Felix after the fact. Which, again, is a very valid point that no one deserves to be harassed, but it’s still not where his focus should have been.

However, HBomberguy made a good point in his video on the subject that only one of Felix’s more well-known friends, Jacksepticeye, said anything remotely negative about what he did (and it was a REALLY MILD criticism too, along the lines of “I think he’s got some things wrong”), and Felix’s more rabid fans all jumped down his throat and called him a “backstabber” and the like because he gave the MILDEST of criticism of his actions.

So, I guess I can’t fault Mark for not completely disowning him for fear of dealing with the more rabid fans and facing harassment himself, but at the same time, I wish he had shown a bit more spine about it and had said something that showed he wasn’t going to defend what Felix did, and called him out for being disrespectful, instead of just addressing people harassing Felix.

Kereea
Kereea

If people are looking for LPers, Rooster Teeth’s Let’s Play channel is pretty liberal. It’s creators very much do not like Trump, either.

JackSepticEye actually did call out PDP for the joke being bad (pointing out that while he likes the man as a friend he thinks the joke was a bad idea and thinks Felix should own up to that) and PDP’s fanbase went nuts on him for it. He’s always been very pleasant in his LP’s that I’ve seen. He likes to be enthusiastic and smiley, it seems. I like his stuff.

RabbidLuigi has seemed fine so far in my viewings. Mostly Top 10 lists but he’s got some good LPs.

JoshScorcher’s done some good stuff too. Mostly a pony reviewer and he is a conservative, but he’s had some nice Let’s Plays and is a very nice guy who prefers to keep politics out of his stuff. Also loves music and did a great video about Kingdom Hearts’ twisted plots and weird release schedule based on Hellfire from the Hunchback of Notre Dame.