armageddon men who should not ever be with ponies ever MGTOW misogyny

MGTOW meme of the day: “When society collapse, who will females go to?”

That’s not how this works. That’s not how any of this works.

A lovely little MGTOW meme for Friday night. Inside of every Man Going His Own Way is a delusional doofus who fantasizes about society collapsing in a heap so that he can say “told you so” to all the women he’s ever had an unrequited crush on.

Now, I’m no expert in post-apocalypse survival, but I’m pretty sure that if (when?) society collapses no one will be feeling particularly cocky. And that it will be the people who cooperate with one another who will be the most likely to survive, not the prickly MGTOWs still holding a grudge about the girl who turned them down in 8th grade.

EDITED TO ADD: I found this meme on a MGTOW Facebook page here. Lots more ridiculousness there.

JS
JS

This is definitely a silly question, but someone earlier mentioned “bowery and archery”. I understand what archery is, but what’s bowery? “Leafy”, and “an area in NYC” doesn’t seem to fit.

I’m guessing “crossbowery”. I tried putting “definition crossbowery” into google gets, as the first hit, a page with the following “All weapons have an invisible core which is used to define a collision between your weapon and something”. Which instantly crosses from our current topic of odd MGTOWs, to videogame discussion.

Welcome to my mind on Daylight Time change.

booburry
booburry

These guys are so dumb. I know its not the same but here in the Rochester NY area where I live, we just had a day of wicked fast winds that royally fucked up so much stuff and left people without power for days as cold&snow set in. Amazingly, I didn’t see women running topless down the street begging every man for help. I saw communities banding together to help one another in whatever way they could. I saw some folks leaving rude messages to power workers who had the audacity to take a lunch break get chewed out for being assholes. Neagan might be an interesting character in a show but in real life people don’t want to be around assholes, especially when things are already shitty. Theyll just kill you in your sleep little MGTOW and take your stuff.

numerobis
numerobis

Bowery is a clearing in a forest. Bowyery is the art of making bows. I miswrote.

Bow-making is another way to spell it, and less error-prone.

Steampunked
Steampunked

You know, it is kinda awful, but making and growing a lot of my own stuff has taught me that rubbish is a resource – if someone is threatening useful people, absolutely do they then stack further into ‘look, high protein chicken food is hard to get, post apocalypse’.

YV
YV

Oh no the apocalypse has happened! Should I team up with my (female) friend who knows how to do carpentry, grow a vegetable garden and crochet, or with the guy who promises to protect me from rapists in exchange for getting to rape me? Hmm, such a hard choice.

faintingcouches
faintingcouches

@ Peevee (delurking again after a few years) thanks for the Margaret Atwood link sorry if this is a little late. Just re-read Madadam and there is a great line about fixing votes…

“His first employer was Ristbones, an outfit that specialised in the hacking of electronic voting machines. that had been easy in the first decade of the century, and also profitable – if you controlled the machines, you could slip in whichever candidate you wanted, as long as the real vote was close to being split”

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

Everyone should watch City of God.

Truth. That movie was so good that it made City of Men look mediocre by comparison.

whatevermynameis
whatevermynameis

* “…when society collapseS”. That word needs an extra “s”, Dave. (I’m being nitpick-y, I know.)

That being said, I’d be quite useless in an apocalypse (though I can learn), but I’d still prefer to starve to death than put up with one of these guys.

whatevermynameis
whatevermynameis

Oh… sorry. I take back my earlier nitpick. ^_^

Nernir is a moderate tip the rest of the world.
Nernir is a moderate tip the rest of the world.

As a woman who can grow and can enough basic food for her family for a good nine months of the year, (could do twelve if I had too but it stops being fun and becomes work) bake bread from scratch including grinding the wheat, keep chickens and goats and knows the basics of beer making etc. I think I’ll be fine post apocalypse. Strangely surviving takes more than having a gun, guns are hard to eat.

Hambeast (fan of diversity)
Hambeast (fan of diversity)

Luzbeltix – Great article, congratulations!

Buttercup Q. Skullpants said

At lesst the rest of us are used to operating day-to-day within a system which isn’t designed for our benefit. These guys have no idea what real injustice, oppression, and deprivation look like. Do they really want to knock down the supports holding up their platform?

This.

It just pinged something in my haven’t-had-enough-coffee-yet brain: This explains why these types think women* are childlike victims; they don’t believe in patriarchy because they don’t acknowledge the injustice, oppression, and deprivation they refuse to see. They just see people complaining about these things while they live their own lives on the easy setting with the unseen support of the oppressed.

We* live with difficulty, danger, and frustration as a baseline while they figure since “we all live in the same world” and they find it easier to be successful, it must be because of their superiority and/or our* inferiority.

So, yeah. There’s a big unseen disadvantage for them from the get-go in a post-apocalyptic world.

*The non-white, non-male, non-neurotypical, non-straight, non-cis-gendered, etc.

numerobis
numerobis

I wonder how long a post-apocalypse world has various forms of modern conveniences. Bullets, guns, gasoline, drivable roads, ATVs, shovels, knives,..,

Some of those will go away pretty quickly no matter how handy we are.

Eventually we’ll have lost enough spoons in the wild that we’ll be getting low on metal.

What next? Back to the Stone Age? Anyone here know how to flake obsidian?

Fabe
Fabe

@numerobis

If we start to run out of knives,shovels and spoons then we’ll make new ones out of the scraps of the old world. and if we start to run out of scraps them we’ll start to dig new ore out of the earth just like was done long before the modern world existed.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@numerobis
There are grades of apocalypse, but I can’t envision one short of actual extinction of the species that would knock the whole world back further than the late 1800s, tech wise. People in especially hard-hit or remote areas might not be able to maintain that, but overall, most places would short term (decades) stabilize at a kind of mishmash of things from 1840 to 1940, depending on specific gadgets

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

Like Dalillama said. If mankind survive at all, il will be extremely implausible that it will devolve technically to late 18th century.

Note that just knowing something work give a very big jump start in searching how to do it again. That’s why, while it took several thousand year to start iron working and farming, thoses would be reinvented within years after an apocalypses. And if the survivor find a way to create explosives, they will immediatly try to make muskets.

Also, basic hygien knowledge is easy enough to implement even after the end, and would make a world of difference in term of life expectancy. Cavemen did know that being dirty was a bad idea, but did not know what exactly to avoid doing.

Fabe
Fabe

making gunpowder will be super easy to do as long as the world doesn’t run out of sulfur,charcoal and saltpeter/potassium nitrate .

Jamesworkshop
Jamesworkshop

MGTOW and the End of the World

I sleep
I fap
I sleep again

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

I’m not sure I want to stand anywhere near someone who’s trying to make black powder based on a pop-science simplification of the process.

That said, I think Ohlmann is right: a lot of the most important discoveries that humans made in history, like electricity, quinine or the Haber process, would be possible to reinvent from first principles once you know what you’re looking for. Many of them are social concepts rather than technologies, and thus are harder to destroy: fiat currency, mass literacy or representative democracy, for example.

Also, I now want to play a recovering-from-an-apocalypse RPG. Like Dalillama, I am not a fan of Apocalypse World, but it scratches a particular itch.

Fabe
Fabe

@EJ

Well I was probably over stating how easy it actually is to make black powder and I would never attempt it myself but for those who do know what they’re doing I would still imagine it would be easy

Alan Robertshaw

Cornwall used to be a world hub for gunpowder manufacturer. Initially because of all the mining and quarrying but then for the military. Accidental explosions were a common hazard (powder factories had individual rooms with very thick walls but lightweight roofs to minimise the damage). Then someone built a place called Kennal Vale. They took a steep valley and diverted a river through it. They also planted various trees and shrubs designed to ensure the atmosphere was *very* damp. They then put 10 water wheel driven powder grinding mills along the valley. They never had a single explosion. Some people suggest it’s one of the most beautiful places on earth. I wouldn’t disagree. I love it there (and my doggy did too). But anyway, that’s a model we can adopt if we have to make our own gunpowder.

Alan Robertshaw

There’s like a channel half way up each side of the valley. They provide the power for the watermills and create a series of artificial waterfalls to keep a mist in the air. They feed into a river at the valley bottom that goes over loads of rocks to create yet more spray. It’s pretty clever.

Anonymous coward
Anonymous coward

Okay, I’m sorry but I couldn’t resist making and sending an improved version of the meme, with everyone’s favorite Furiosa.

AsAboveSoBelow, Male Gaze Harvester
AsAboveSoBelow, Male Gaze Harvester

@Alan: Stunning images. Thanks for sharing those.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

@faintingcouches: You’re welcome!

Maybe Atwood can predict the future…

She is so, so good.

ETA: @Alan, the photos are gorgeous. Magnificent.

@Anonymous coward: Yeah, baby!!

Morning all,

A couple of quick points because I’m very late to this party (I don’t have the internet at home, so I’m halfway to the post-apocalyptic lifestyle already…)

Post-apocalyptic water – get an aquabox. Everything you need to survive infrastructure collapse, including a filter that can turn anything into clean water. I’ve drunk muddy water from the school playing fields through this and been totally fine. http://www.aquabox.org/

Post-apocalyptic power: get a mini-centrale hydroelectric generator. I read about some home made versions of these in a Joe Sacco graphic novel about Bosnia, and there are ready-made versions available.

Post-apocalyptic shelter: when caving, my friends and I have been ‘scoring’ the systems for use as a zombie apocalpyse refuge. Our current favourite is Mouldridge Mine in the heart of the Peak District (no big settlements nearby, doesn’t flood but does have water in lower levels, flat floors, lots of storage space, easily defended, good air flow). Pop by if you’re in the neighbourhood! Photos here:

Post apocalyptic society …will be full of tedious bores like me. Probably don’t bother. Like Zimmerman in Stark, just ‘party like there’s no tomorrow’ instead.

misophistry
misophistry

I took an interest in survivalism for a while so I had so much to say, but ya’ll got there first!

[spoilers]I second The postman the book being so much better than the film. I especially loved the whole “President Eden” style AI bit that they totally left out of the film. The whole thing should come with a trigger warning and doesn’t, but I’m used to that. Many books are horrible beyond words and you’d have no idea till you open them up. But its usually worth it for the stories.

I recently chucked a Ben Bova post-apocalypse after chapter one because there was just sooo much rape and all of the female characters left alive were poorly written manipulative bitches. Are all his books like that does anyone know?

I think the thing about the post-apocalypse when you live in Britain is that a full scale breakdown would be the most unlikely event. All sorts of things could stop working but we would still form orderly queues for what was left. Its just that much easier to organize a small island in time of disaster than a continent wide, unevenly populated amalgamation of states. There are no great empty wilderness in which warbands could form and there wouldn’t be unless tens of millions were to die. Nothing short of that would do it. So what I expect from the future is a slow worsening and rationing out of such things as electricity, imported goods, luxury foods. So ‘prepping’ in the UK is about co-operation in the community and maybe having a secret stash of spam.

misophistry
misophistry

I love spam

Traffic_Spiral
Traffic_Spiral

I feel it should also be mentioned that in post-apocalypse times, women won’t be shaving their legs or underarms and won’t be using makeup or spending hours on their hair, so these sad little Miggies wouldn’t want any of the horrible ogre-women that remained.

@misophistry

Did you ever read a YA novel called ‘Noah’s Castle’ by John Rowe Townsend? It describes an authoritarian father in the 1970s who stockpiles food and resources and refuses to share with locals in need, to the dismay of his children, who try to rebel against his control. (Apparently it was a TV series too, though it was a bit before my time). The story essentially shows that ‘prepping’ is synonymous with ‘hoarding’. It’s worth a read to look at some of the moral dilemmas that would result from long term ‘shortages’.

@ asabovesobelow & peevee

Glad you liked the pics. It is a magical place. It still sort of works; it’s almost impossible to light a roll-up there, they just get too soggy. Apparently it was even wetter when operational cos the waterwheels threw up yet more spray. But some of the artificial waterfalls are still working a bit.

@ danholme

Ah kids’ TV in the 70s. If a water ghoul didn’t drown us then we could look forward to the collapse of society before our inevitable fiery death in nuclear oblivion. It’s amazing we’re not all still just huddled under the stairs.

@AlanRobertshaw

Cracking photos sir, I love the green of wet moss. I can almost smell it from here. If you’re ever near Matlock, visit Lumsdale, which is similar, and worth a look.

@AlanRobertshaw

It was the boy who goes into the electric substation to retrieve his football that did it for me. To this day I shiver when I walk past them, and I hate walking under pylons, too.

misophistry
misophistry

His smoking corpse haunts my nightmares…

No I never read that one Danholme but I know what you mean. Best keep the secret stash of spam small and very very secret.

@ danholme

Lumsdale

Just had a quick google at the pictures. Wow, it is very pretty. I love C19th hydraulic engineering. It’s so beautiful in that form follows function way. And of course, to keep on topic, it’s relatively apocalypse proof. Its not like we’re going to run out of rain (specially in the Peak District).

occasional reader
occasional reader

Hello.

Hmm, they seems to forget that it also could be an androcalypse, removing any human biological male on earth, or a gynocalypse, being the opposite of the former. In both cases, they would be busted.
And if it is the religious Apocalypse, with her trumpets and her four hoursemen, they can stick it themselves where the sun does not shine, because they would hardly get any sexual partners this time too…

On other words, being an asshole will not get you laid, apocalypse or not.

Have a nice day.

@misophistry

It was his smoking legs… Brrrrrr…

@AlanRobertshaw

Water power is how we intend to keep the lights on in the Independent People’s Republic of Mouldridge Mine (President-for-Life DanHolme); underground farms are a ‘thing’ now so I confidently predict increased crop yields throughout the first Five Year Plan.

Lumsdale is, apparently, where the shirts for the 1966 World Cup were dyed. One of the mills was used for grinding the pigments, they were dyed in one of the troughs, and then pegged out to dry in an adjacent field. This was told to me by a well-informed but occasionally hyperbolic local and may, in fact, be bollox, but it’s a well-established story nonetheless.

PreuxFox
PreuxFox

I think it’s very telling about the level of privilege these men have that they think of an apocalypse, and can only imagine that it would /benefit/ them.

Sure, they see that bad conditions might result from the collapse of society – but they can only foresee those bad conditions impacting other people. Somehow, they will be an alpha male super-protector and provider, and also have the energy to f*ck all the women they assume will be falling at their feet.

Anyone with a real concept of what an apocalypse would be like (at the very least, a lot of hard work and manual labor…exhausting, annoying, kind of gross depending on the conditions) wouldn’t be fantasizing about it. But they assume the apocalypse will treat them well…because they are cishet white men and conditions have always treated them well.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@Misophistry

Are all his books like that does anyone know?

I’ve never managed to get far enough in one to find out. Or, as best I can recall, meet a female character. So…

@DanHolme

He’s remarkably lucky the neighbours didn’t just kill him straight out after the first time he refused to share. Or at least make him share at gunpoint. A single person, or family, that sets up a big hoard to keep for themselves may as well paint a bullseye on their backs.

Croquembouche of patriarchy
Croquembouche of patriarchy

@ Alan, Dan, and other fans of mossiness and boskiness, or fans of human endeavour in creating the kind of world you want to live in:
If you are ever in north Queensland, check out Paronella Park.
It’s a physical and aesthetic pleasure to be there.
There’s a brief construction history here: http://www.paronellapark.com.au/about/brief-history

My remarks :;Jose and Margarita were working class immigrants. They could have considered themselves lucky to just build a house to live in. Instead, they also built these stairs, castle, pavilion, crenelations, pleasure gardens, parklands and so forth, solely with their own planning and labour.
For things like the hydroelectric generator, tunnel, suspension bridge, and fountains, they also contracted help from professionals (hundreds or thousands of miles away), and paid for it. And made it work.

@Dalillama

RE the neighbours shooting the hoarder – yes, and that gets mentioned in the story (they move to a crumbly estate with high walls and do their best to be inconspicuous), though it would have been more of a case of pitchforks and cricket bats than guns in 1970s suburbia.

@Croquembouche

That does look awesome! My chances of getting to Queensland any time in the next decade are remote, but I’ll add it to the list of places to go.

@ croquembouche

I had to look up ‘boskiness’. I will now though be trying to squeeze it into conversations.

I like Paranella Park. Nice one Jose and Margarita. I’d love to build somewhere like that; then populate it with rescue donkeys (that’s pretty much my ambition these days).

Sticking with the Cornish moss theme, there’s an old Iron Age village near here. It has a fogou. That’s a kind of underground passage that you find in this region. No-one’s quite sure what they’re for. Suggestions range from defence to ritual to storing cheese. But the one at Carn Euny has moss that’s phosphorescent. It’s pretty spooky.

(If it’s the case that all moss glows please don’t spoil the magic for me 🙂 )

misophistry
misophistry

I tink we are in the same Postcode Alan. wazzon m’cok.

@ misophistry

Right on me lover.

I’m in glamorous Perran these days (actually it doesn’t look too bad today)

But was over in West Penwith for a while indulging my love of all things standy and stoney.

misophistry
misophistry

Stones wot stand, we do have a lot of em. Good luck with the rescue donkeys!

@ misophistry

Stones wot stand, we do have a lot of em.

Indeed you do. You ever get up to Boscawen-Un? Love that place. If I ever get hitched that’ll be the venue.

Subtract Hominem, the Renegade Misandroid
Subtract Hominem, the Renegade Misandroid

All of the above: A ritual for defending cheese?

@ subtract hominem

A ritual for defending cheese?

Or a defence using cheese? You could probably have someone’s eye out with a slingshot and one of those mini Babybels.

EverythingIsRidiculous
EverythingIsRidiculous

I have impressive fat reserves, am strong as an ox, can spin wool and make stuff with yarn, and have been trained to choke a man unconscious in less than two seconds. That must count for something.

numerobis
numerobis

Fear me, for this is what I can do:
comment image

(Simulation of how much electricity a 250W solar panel will produce, depending on how you tilt it, in Iqaluit.)