Categories
Uncategorized

Happy “Why Isn’t There an International Men’s Day” Day!

Seems rather SEXIST if you ask me

Every year, on the same day as #InternationalWomensDay, men and even a few women around the world celebrate “Why Isn’t There an International Men’s Day” Day! Let’s check in on some of the festivities already underway on Twitter!

https://twitter.com/LeeMagers/status/839531334464864256

https://twitter.com/oliveicarlos/status/839462632142815234

https://twitter.com/mikeydellavalle/status/839587009391968256

https://twitter.com/SeifellAlmancht/status/839584074159255554

https://twitter.com/FredWarsap/status/839583222338056197

https://twitter.com/Atzori_44/status/839581789886771206

https://twitter.com/therealswitzer/status/839580410032058377

https://twitter.com/amycotton_/status/839577146410614784

https://twitter.com/CGarbo87/status/839577496051933188

https://twitter.com/Layton_Easterly/status/839575626579337217

https://twitter.com/pmuldoon21/status/839576590048759809

Even the bots are celebrating?

https://twitter.com/giveawayvoxer/status/839559962993045504

Alas,, not everyone really understands how this day works.

This guy had a better question:

By the way, there is an International Men’s Day, as this dude points out to … himself.

Spencer Nelson‏ @Spencer8nelson Follow More Spencer Nelson Retweeted Spencer Nelson Update: International men's day is November 19thSpencer Nelson added, Spencer Nelson @Spencer8nelson When's international men's day? 12:58 PM - 8 Mar 2017

International Men’s Day is pretty much an MRA dumpster fire though. Don’t celebrate it. Celebrate World Toilet Day instead.

UPDATED TO ADD: Kudos to UK comedian Richard Herring, who’s made it his annual quest to answer every idiot who asks the accursed “why isn’t there an international men’s day” question on Twitter; he encourages everyone who appreciates his efforts on this front to donate money to Refuge.org.uk.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

81 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution
Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution
3 years ago

There is no wage gap. The supposed gap is just a difference in the amount women make compared to the amount men make nationally.

THERE’S NO WAGE GAP LADIES, WOMEN JUST MAKE LESS MONEY THAN MEN

Methinks the Wildrose Party is just another incarnartion of Preston Manning’s Refoooooooooooooooorm! Party. :/

I love that word refoooooooooorm!

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

If you can present me with one law in the united states that puts women at a disadvantage, then I will be more open minded. However, I know you will be unable to do this, because that law simply does not exist. And it never will in the United States.

Here you go.

https://www.guttmacher.org/article/2016/01/last-five-years-account-more-one-quarter-all-abortion-restrictions-enacted-roe

Just as Googling would’ve helped your friends on Twitter who were whining about no men’s day, a little bit of Googling could’ve helped you out here.

Of course, misogyny is not just a legal issue. But that seems to be too complex a discussion for you right now.

Also, it’s international women’s day. The US is not the whole world. Are you trying to tell me women have full equality under the law in every single country?

dlouwe
dlouwe
3 years ago

The supposed gap is just a difference in the amount women make compared to the amount men make nationally.

So the gender pay gap is just… a gap in pay based on gender? I fail to see your point.

Jesalin
Jesalin
3 years ago

@Fishy

Preston Manning’s Refoooooooooooooooorm! Party.

I still fondly remember This Hour Has 22 minutes ^^

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer
3 years ago

@Dalillama:
Well, we have Sovereign Citizens up here, too, despite the fact that a lot of the standard Sovereign Citizen rhetoric about admiralty courts and fringes on flags comes directly from American legal issues. The British version is the Freeman on the Land, and there is a lot of overlap (both being subcategories of what Alberta Associate Chief Justice John D. Rooke called ‘Organized Pseudolegal Commercial Argument’ litigants), but many of the Canadians of that particular bag of ‘rules should not be used against me’ seem to hew a lot closer to the American set of complaints than the British.

There do seem to be a disturbing number of Canadians who don’t realize how much difference there is between the two legal systems after a couple of centuries of divergent decisions. I blame the fact that we get far more American TV here than British TV.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
3 years ago

http://izquotes.com/quotes-pictures/quote-the-law-in-its-majestic-equality-forbids-the-rich-as-well-as-the-poor-to-sleep-under-bridges-to-anatole-france-64960.jpg

On the face of it laws are now (albeit a relatively recent occurrence) gender neutral. But of course in practice they’re not.

A law that restricts abortions is obviously going to have a disproportionate effect on people who can get pregnant.

You have the right to take advantage of all the relevant tax loopholes as the mega rich; so I trust you’re coining it in with your Nassau bank account. No? Well consider that maybe people who have to care for kids also lose out. And that may not be an equitable distribution of labour.

Mind you if you are taking a stance that equality before the law is the only thing that matters would you mind having a word with some of those MRA types? They’re always whinging about how the (gender neutral) law is biased against them.

dlouwe
dlouwe
3 years ago

On the face of it laws are now (albeit a relatively recent occurrence) gender neutral. But of course in practice they’re not.

Also worth noting is how everyone acts in accordance with the law 100% of the time, and the justice system is 100% accurate at prosecuting those who do not.

/s

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Plus, gender discrimination is illegal but it’s very difficult to prove. Companies get away with it all the time. Pretty much every woman I’ve ever talked to about the subject has experienced sexism at least one job.

Joseph Reese
Joseph Reese
3 years ago

@weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee
What I meant before, was that the pay gap is just a gap based on what jobs, and how many people from both genders actually do have jobs. Both genders have an equal advantage. A lot more women are stay at home than men are. It’s an earnings gap. Not a wage gap. And about the abortion, and how only women get denied abortions… that’s not sexist. If men could get abortions, then they would refuse abortions to them to. I’m really sorry that your biology just didn’t work out for you?
And of course women don’t have equal rights in Muslim based countries, and of the like. I didn’t put it into good enough words and I apologize. I should have said and I believe that it is not necessary in the united states. And yes misogyny is not only legally based. But there will always be assholes on this planet and nobody can ever do anything about that.

Tizio
Tizio
3 years ago

What I meant before, was that the pay gap is just a gap based on what jobs, and how many people from both genders actually do have jobs.

Even after taking into account differences in how many women work vs. how many men work, different jobs, different positions in the same job, different efficiency and different amount of hours worked, there’s STILL at least a 5% gap that cannot be explained with any of the previous. And that’s for white women – for women of color or Latina, the situation is ever worse.

Additionally, there is no reason to ignore things such as:
> Women being socially expected to be the stay-at-home parent, thus increasing the amount of women who stay at home.
> Hiring biases against women, thus skewing women by denying them the job they deserved.
> Promoting biases against women, thus skewing women by denying them the high-paid that what they deserved.
> Employers believeing that women tend to be stay-at-home parents, thus not promoting women who have children (or who are believed to eventually have children by said employers) because “They have to take care of the family, they don’t have time for these higer responsibilities”.
> Harassment against women in “male” jobfields, which excludes women from “male”, higher-paid jobfields.
> The devaluation of women’s work – aka: any jobfield that becomes women-dominated loses prestige and wages because it gets seen as “easier”.

And about the abortion, and how only women get denied abortions… that’s not sexist. If men could get abortions, then they would refuse abortions to them to. I’m really sorry that your biology just didn’t work out for you?

If“. Hypotethicals are not evidence.

And of course women don’t have equal rights in Muslim based countries, and of the like.I didn’t put it into good enough words and I apologize. I should have said and I believe that it is not necessary in the united states.

“Look at the eeeeeeevil Middle East!” is a bullshit excuse.

And yes misogyny is not only legally based. But there will always be assholes on this planet and nobody can ever do anything about that.

Let’s pretend for a second that it’s true (it isn’t).
Could you go to, say, A Voice For Men and tell them that misandry is not only legally based, but there will always be assholes on this planet and nobody can ever do anything about that, therefore they should all stop advocating for “men’s rights”?

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@MRA troll

I know you won’t actually read it, because your sort never do, but here’s refutation 1,001 of your tiresome PRATT. When you’ve read, understood, and internalized the information there, you might conceivably have something to say worth listening to. i doubt it, but it’s possible.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat
3 years ago

@Jesalin I’m glad someone got the reference. LOL!

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

What I meant before, was that the pay gap is just a gap based on what jobs, and how many people from both genders actually do have jobs. Both genders have an equal advantage.

Except for no. There’s been plenty of research on this. I’m not convinced you’re arguing in good faith at all, so I’m not sure I can be bothered to Google the studies when you can do it yourself. Aggression is perceived as a negative quality for women but a positive quality for men. So men have an easier time asking for and receiving raises and promotions.

As for the what jobs thing, you think it’s a coincidence that female dominated jobs pay less than male dominated jobs? One classic example is coding. It was originally seen as something that women were suited to and it wasn’t a prestigious or high paying occupation. Then the men started getting interested, the rise of the (usually white and male) computer nerd happened and suddenly it was a high status career. Women were pushed out of the field and still to this encounter a lot of sexism in the industry. Then what do you know, dudes come along to say there is no misogyny problem in tech, it’s just that women are mysteriously not interested in it!

A lot more women are stay at home than men are.

Yes, because we live in a culture where a lot of people still believe that a woman’s place is in the home and that child care isn’t real and valuable work because it is “women’s work.” Are you seriously using that as argument against the need to promote equality for women?

And about the abortion, and how only women get denied abortions… that’s not sexist. If men could get abortions, then they would refuse abortions to them to.

Who is this they? The people who made the laws against abortion in the first place were men. The religions that decided women shouldn’t get abortions are patriarchal. Where is the assumption that cis men would be denied access to abortion if they could get pregnant coming from?

And yes it is sexist. Women are denied bodily autonomy. Men are not. The only time men are denied reproductive autonomy are when they’re trans.

I’m really sorry that your biology just didn’t work out for you?

That’s very kind of you. I’m super sorry your pathetic excuse for an argument isn’t working out too well.

And of course women don’t have equal rights in Muslim based countries, and of the like.

Of course fail troll thinks it’s only Muslim countries that have gender inequalities.

I didn’t put it into good enough words and I apologize. I should have said and I believe that it is not necessary in the united states.

What isn’t necessary? International women’s day? It’s not a US only day and it never was. So why did you start talking about the US in the first place?

And yes misogyny is not only legally based.

Then why shouldn’t there be an international women’s day? It’s not just about sexist laws and never was. So why did you bring up laws?

But there will always be assholes on this planet and nobody can ever do anything about that.

Bullshit. Attitudes change all the time. Culture is not a static thing at all.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Of course I got ninja’d multiple times on the pay gap stuff. I like to take my time with my chew toys.

Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution
Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution
3 years ago

A lot more women are stay at home than men are. It’s an earnings gap. Not a wage gap.

And women do this because… they hate money! “No, husband,” says Mrs Homemaker, “do not leave your job to stay home and raise our children. I want to do it, because money makes my small, delicate, feminine hands smell like old pennies.”

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
3 years ago

@ dlouwe

There’s actually a school of jurisprudence (the philosophy of law) called “American Realism” that explicitly adopts your point. I got to write an essay on that once and it was cool cos I did it all in reference to Judge Dredd. Unsurprisingly it was called “I am the law”.

(but in essence it’s the recognition that dope isn’t as illegal for rich white kids as poor black ones etc.)

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
3 years ago

But there will always be assholes on this planet and nobody can ever do anything about that

Why. Are. You. Here?

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles
3 years ago

@Joseph Reese

But there will always be assholes on this planet and nobody can ever do anything about that

“Slavery is forever, non white cis males will never be allowed to vote, small pox is here to stay.” Yeah this must be true. Oh wait, those assholes are dead AND wrong.

Rhuu
Rhuu
3 years ago

@Jesalin and @Fishy Goat –

I googled and found the best clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ys1Y2-kSZs

This bit was also from Air Farce. I really enjoyed Air Farce! My family used to watch it every week.

@Joseph Reese:

Everything you have said is demonstrably wrong with about four seconds of googling. Do you have questions about the results? People might be willing to discuss that with you, to walk you through how white cis able bodied men do have things easier than non all of those things.

Not saying that white able bodied cis men have easy lives. I’m just saying this:

comment image

A. Noyd
A. Noyd
3 years ago

@Joseph Reese
Here’s more on the reality of the pay gap. Though I doubt you’ll actually read it or try to understand it given how, going by your barrage of irrationality so far in this thread, you seem to be very emotionally invested in your belief that women are not discriminated against.

dlouwe
dlouwe
3 years ago

@WWTH

What isn’t necessary? International women’s day? It’s not a US only day and it never was. So why did you start talking about the US in the first place?

I’m half-convinced his first post was just copy-pasta with “feminism” in the first sentence changed to “an international women’s day” so that it’d be topical.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

That would explain a lot.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
3 years ago

I always find these trolls so much more ridiculous than the angry ones who froth at the mouth. I mean, that “calm, polite and rational” shtick only works if you’re arguing in good faith. Also, your argument needs to make sense in the first place.

Putting on a beard don’t make you a philosopher, douche.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

He’s rational because he’s a man. He doesn’t need to be arguing in good faith nor does he need to argue his point well.

At least that’s what I got from his opening salvo, which was essentially just “sexism isn’t a real problem anymore, now calm down, hysterical ladies. Don’t get all emotional.” Because there’s no sexism in assuming we’re going to respond emotionally to his post.

Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution
Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution
3 years ago

If two populations are given equal opportunity to benefit, and one population consistently benefits from that opportunity to a greater degree than the other, there are only two possible explanations: Either the supposedly equal opportunity is not so equal, or the populations themselves are not equally worthy. If you believe the former, congratulations; you understand the need for IWD. If you believe the latter, congratulations; you are the reason for IWD.

CleverForAGirl
CleverForAGirl
3 years ago

@Rhuu – pfft, if those kids weren’t genetically inferior, or so damned lazy they’d just be taller. I mean, that guy one the left is tall enough cause he worked hard and wasn’t a filthy box moocher.

/s

Typing that just made me die a little inside, and good lord am I sleep deprived.

Fruitloopsie
Fruitloopsie
3 years ago

Everyone already explained everything I also want to point out that
white women make 77 cents to a white man’s dollar
Black women make 66 cents
Native/Hispanic women make 56
And disabled women (that’s me) make 33 cents. We get paid less than everyone.

And I absolutely hate it when people constantly tell us to stop complaining about ‘first world problems’ and think about women in other countries (ex Middle East) because they have it worse. I can tell you this the people in those countries are telling the women there the exact same thing. And also the same people (men and boys more specifically) who tell us to think about other women are the ones who complain about little things like ‘why is there no men’s day?’ “Wah! There’s female main characters in my favorite games and movies!” Etc.

But clearly we are the emotional and irrational snowflakes. /S

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
3 years ago

Joseph Reese,

International Women’s Day has been celebrated for over a century. It’s not going away anytime soon.

I implore you to kindly troll elsewhere.

Thank you.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat
3 years ago

@Rhuu I was a little disappointed I couldn’t actually find a clip of a comedian doing the Preston Manning ‘Refoooooorm!’ thing. 🙂 Bonus points if I could have found one of Preston himself doing it on Air Farce. 😀

Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy

Sorry if I’m necroing, but I just found this on /r/exmormon. It’s a link to a screenshot of some Facebook post or something celebrating “Why isn’t there an International Men’s Day” day. Reddit being Reddit, I’m not sure whether the “idiocy” is supposed to be feminism, or the whine against feminism. If it were elsewhere, it would certainly be the former, but /r/exmormon is more friendly to feminism than most subreddits.