#gamergate aggrieved entitlement anti-Semitism cyberbullying harassment irony alert men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny stalking

Check out my NYT piece on the ideological battle over accused bomb-threatener Juan Thompson

Accused bomb-threatener Juan Thompson

Check out my NYT piece on the right-wing media’s tendentious takes on accused bomb-threatener Juan Thompson. Here’s the lede:

Fate seems to have dropped a giant gift on the doorsteps of right-wing pundits and Twitter activists. Last Friday, the F.B.I. announced the arrest of a suspect in a series of bomb threats aimed at Jewish Community Centers and other Jewish organizations across the country, and he wasn’t some Trump-loving white supremacist with a history of violence and a racist manifesto in tow. No, he was a man of the left, a reporter fired from the left-leaning website The Intercept for fabricating quotes and sources.

Read the rest at the NYT.

Some Guy
Some Guy

Commence nutpicking in 3…2…1…

Chiomara
Chiomara

That’s nice, congratulations!

Roadrunner
Roadrunner

New York Times? Fancy!

Seriously though, good (and important) article.

Ooglyboggles

Nice job getting an article on the NYT David!

Judas Peckerwood
Judas Peckerwood

Congrats on shining in the Big Leagues, David.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

*applause* 🙂

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Nice one David. Interesting article too. It is annoying that most people will just hear about this in 140 characters saying the threats were some sort of lefty false flag; so I hope your article propagates a bit.

Fabe
Fabe

So this was less about political extremism or antisemitism but a attempt to frame a ex-girlfriend?

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

Well done on the article!

So, yet again, violence against a woman is overshadowed by the current political lunacy. I’m shocked, shocked!, to find gambling in this establishment.

(Note for literal-minded people: it’s a Casablanca reference and implies that I’m not surprised at all.)

AsAboveSoBelow, Male Gaze Harvester
AsAboveSoBelow, Male Gaze Harvester

Congratulations!

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

This is wonderful! An opinion piece in the (failing, ha!) New York Times! Splendid! (And you’re spot on!)

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Tell me why an entitled harasser of women coming from the Intercept ain’t even kinda surprising. Glenn Greenwald is still batting for wikileaks ffs…

eli
eli

“Check out my NYT piece…”

NYT PIECE! WTG David!

I really hate the way this is being spun and this has a local component for me, which means lots of people flapping their gums in ignorant ways around and about me.

I’d love to make them all read your piece, but, you know, that NYT is all fake news.

But you’ve distilled the problem so well in such a short piece. And once again the harassment of women and the fact that he alone is not responsible for the threats being issued to Jewish centers (against children, no less) is getting lost in a gotcha game.

Thanks for sharing!

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

Fantastic piece, David!

This asshat has apparently been linked to eight threats, leaving only ninety-two to investigate.

Greenwald, bleah. When he wrote for Salon (many years ago) he decided to praise a fringe political candidate as a champion of liberty. Melissa McEwan at Shakesville pointed out that people who want to restrict abortion rights are not “champions of liberty.” Greenwald spent the rest of the day trolling Shakesville in a distinctly “how dare a mere woman challenge ME!!!?!” petulant tone.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Hippodameia
And who could forget the epic gaslightery of ‘Berniebros aren’t real’?

“how dare a mere woman challenge ME!!!?!”

To be fair, he does that to men too. To be factual, when he does it to men, it’s usually cos they stood up for a woman he’s got a hate boner for…

Ooglyboggles

@Hippo
I checked his latest articles. One was about Trump and more war crimes in yemen. The other was “blame Obama for dems Demonizing Trump, ignore how multiple core staff members have ties to Russia and got burned because of it.” Yep this is the two faced assholism you’d expect.
@Axe
“1) Trump presidency is dangerous.
2) CIA/DeepState abuse of spy powers to subvert elected Govt is dangerous.

One can cogently believe both.”

Deep State is a dogwhistle of shadow gov’ts i.e. Jewish people. Holding a dislike of Trump yet also believing in a shadow conspiracy in the face of a more damning conspiracy, all I can say is “fuck off.”

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@OoglyBoggles

shadow gov’ts

shadow conspiracy

And I am officially reminded of Joel of Vinesauce playing Shadow President and subsequently dropping the entire US nuclear stockpile on Norway.

Do not elect Joel Johannson to office.

Pavlovs House
Pavlovs House

David, the article is well-written and carefully argued. Fine work.

SeekingBarbie
SeekingBarbie

That was great. Thank you.

theseventhguest
theseventhguest

congratulations

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

Nice article and congrats on appearing in NYT! It’s almost like you’re a real journalist, I say, teasingly.

Kat
Kat

The New York Times?! Damn. It’s a well-written article, David. Congrats!

numerobis
numerobis

Wow. That’s kind of a big deal. Congrats!

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Commence nutpicking in 3…2…1…

Comments policy, guys.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

That aside, yes, excellent article, David! The fact that everybody in the media, on both sides (as much as “Right-wing idiots” and “Willing to pander for ratings to right-wing idiots” can be considered “Sides”), has brushed this point under the rug has been annoying the shit out of me.

History Nerd
History Nerd

Disclaimer: I don’t think Hillary or Bernie was an ideal candidate and I’m not taking sides on that or “internal Leftist issues” here.

The “Berniebros” are nothing new. They’re essentially libertarian-leaning Democrats who agree with right libertarians on everything except economics. So they’re thoroughly reactionary on almost everything else, and they would be labeled as right-wingers in a traditional sense. The “Left” is traditionally those who critique social hierarchy and support marginalized groups like poor people, women, people with disabilities, various types of minorities, etc. Leftists generally view freedom as a type of self-actualization in community rather than a lack of responsibility to help others. The notion of what a “left-wing” economic position is changed radically over time.

Unfortunately, it’s too common for stalkers to get really extreme if they’re seeking revenge for getting rejected.

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

Congrats, David!

I remember thinking, some months back, that “world politics have drifted in such a way that David Futrelle has accidentally become one of the most relevant writers in the modern day.” I’m glad to hear that the Grey Lady agrees.

occasional reader
occasional reader

Hello.

Good one, Mr Futrelle.
Indeed, they zap the domestic violence and harassment part, because to them, it is something that does not exist, some kind of pink elephant.

And to everyone, have a nice International Woman Day !

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

Clarifies both the criminal behaviour, its context and the mess the media have made of reporting it. It’s one hell of a thing, to be able to make an interconnected tangle of fuck-ups so clear – chapeau, David.

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

Congratulations! Good article. It’s about time your expertise on the harms of the entitled mindset that played a crucial part in gettingTrump into power is highlighted in ever more mainstream publications. Gods know this world needs more level-headed writers and journalists in the public eye.

Laserqueen
Laserqueen

Adding to the applause. Well done, David!

NoStandards
NoStandards

The NY Times has no standards anymore.

Pavlovs House
Pavlovs House

Best wishes for International Women’s Day also!

The women who inspire me:

My first cousin and aunt whose daily strength is only enriched by their ingeniousness at living life to the fullest: no challenge can withstand the force of their ingenuity.

My surrogate sister D., my sister-in-arms who jumped out of planes with me long ago, an amazing soldier, intellectual and bibliophile who shares a passion for learning. Long ago Saddam shot SCUD missiles at her but she was too tough for him. She has loved me as her own brother for 25 years and touched my heart always. I trust her with my life and soul. Having overcome as I did a difficult background, she is the true sister that the Goddess or the universe or whatever you believe in sent so I could feel the pure love between brother and sister.

My beloved partner the brilliant, amazing gorgeous and sexy Ms. Pavlov’s House who works 50 million billion hours per week as the most knowledgeable, professional and compassionate nurse in the entire history of the nursing profession and whose steel-trap of a mind is nevertheless always ready to talk about bibliophily, military history, Russian history, and art and look like a million bucks all the time. “Tireless Brilliance”=her.

Gussie Jives
Gussie Jives

Coming on the heels of the Jamie Kilstein revelations… I think it’s incumbent upon all of us to be wary of those who purport to be enlightened because they happen to hold left-wing views. With Kilstein, I’m getting this distinct Hugo Schwyzer vibe with an unhealthy dose of Jian Ghomeshi. I remember listening to his podcast with Allison Kilkenny probably back in… must have been 2009 and as much as I tried to like him, his voice was just insufferable.

As for this Thompson guy… if he was a former Intercept writer, that tells me so much about his character. And if he was too unscrupulous for Greenwald… just says it all.

Congrats on landing an NYT column, Dave! Now they just need to fire David Brooks and Ross Douthat and hire you permanently.

Oh, and happy International Women’s Day all! The Google Doodle was adorable! 🙂

Jamie
Jamie

Wow, congratulations. Its so fantastic to see your usual great research (and the article was great) get picked up by one of the big mainstream media outlets. Especially at a point where so much of the white supremacist and misogynist fringe has been normalized by the Trump candidacy and administration, as well as ambiguous coverage by mainstream media outlets. Really great news.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

@SFHC

Oops, sorry. My bad.

lith
lith

@David:
Nice going, congrats!

@everyone and OT:

We’ve got a stall at #WOWLDN at the Southbank center in London from Friday to Sunday. Just wanted to say please come and say hi if you happen to be there, would be nice to meet you.
Company’s called Ingenues, so you can find us.

dlouwe
dlouwe

Congrats, David! Great article.

Tate's Veery
Tate's Veery

Oh, hey, Dave. One card carrying liberal from the North East here at your service! So, to begin, let me say congratulations on getting published in the Times. It says a lot about you and the Times.

I chose the name Veery because a Veery is a bird that makes a beautiful, charismatic sound. It draws you closer. Makes you curious. Isn’t that the effect you seek when you write for the Times, a pulpit with enormous reach? Though I agree with the spirit of your Op-Ed, would you be willing to consider the following?

Is there really such a thing as a phony threat? Isn’t a threat a threat?

Can it really be said that Mr. Thompson’s threats are a-political and not deliberately directed at American Jewish organizations? It’s not as if he threatened The American Society of Numismatics, or Dunkin Donuts along with 97 other non-Jewish organizations.

Is it really fair to say Mr. Thompson’s threats aren’t serious just because they are fueled by an obsession with a woman? After all, John Hinckley shot the President and almost killed James Brady all for the love of Jodie Foster.

I think these questions are important because your piece pivots to the problem of violence against and harassment of women in our society. If carefully argued, an Op-Ed in the New York Times can direct even more attention and resources to this terribly important issue.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

You earned a byline on the NYT. Congrats.

MrsObedMarsh
MrsObedMarsh

My heroines, who work hard at everything they do:

My mother, who grew up in a small conservative town in the 50s and 60s and became a brilliant geneticist. She did some gene-mapping work back in the 80s (which helped pave the way for the Human Genome Project) and now manages a department at her local hospital. She also knits beautiful scarves, hats, and sweaters.

My mother-in-law, a retired lawyer and current professor. She’s also active in the community and in women’s causes, and her hobbies include belly dancing and fitness instruction.

My sister-in-law, an emergency doctor. Her job is harder than most, but she hasn’t given up yet. She’s a fitness enthusiast like her mother, and loves to ride her horse, climb, and run.

Bless them and all the other amazing, inspiring women out there.

Hambeast (fan of diversity)
Hambeast (fan of diversity)

Congratulations, David! May this be the beginning of even greater things for you!

I’m celebrating/supporting this Day Without a Woman/International Women’s Day by wearing one of my only* two red shirts, not spending money and nominally looking after my house guest (Husbeast’s nephew).
And, of course, tending to Catbeast, who is doing quite well for a cat we thought wouldn’t make it through the week last week.

*Don’t know why I only have two; I both like red and look pretty good wearing it, as long as it’s not an orangey red.

The Adjunct
The Adjunct

Congrats, David ❤

@Gussie Jives
I second firing David Fucking Brooks and replacing with David Futrelle. I’d buy a nyt subscription in that event!

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Agent of the FemiNest Collective; Keeper of a Hell Toupee, and all-around Intergalactic Meanie

Can anybody here access the comments to that article? It seems I can’t from my phone.

Just wondering if there’s any gems in them so far.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

I think it’s semantically correct to speak of ‘phony’ threats when there’s no evidence that they would ever actually be carried out. We do after all refer to ‘real’ threats when we mean there is a risk of follow up, so it’s not unusual to qualify the word ‘threat’.

I won’t bore you with the legal aspects; although of course there it’s often relevant whether a threat is ‘real’ or not in terms of legal consequences.

And whilst of course the mere making of a threat can have a traumatic effect on the recipient(s)/target(s); even or despite them not knowing if it will be carried out it’s common to ask ‘is this a serious threat?’ and I suspect most people understand what is meant by that.

Bina

w00t!

Aaaaand I hit the paywall. Oh well, I did get to read it on my iPad. Big congrats!

Boris