announcements

Still feeling cruddy

Sick and tired of being sick and tired

Hey, folks. Just a note to let you know that I’m still, you know, alive. So, alas, is my flu.

That said, I do seem to be getting a bit better, day by day. I’m hoping I’ll be back posting again pretty soon.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

@PA : I feel for you. I chose Paris to make my life in because there is a sensible mass transit system. Back when I was in a “remote” country city (~100.000 inhabitant or so), and it was ridiculous. Especially when my father bought a mansion in an outlying small city. I could go to school with a bus, but not come back from school, because there were only one bus per day -_-

@Hambeast : well, “dangerous one need to be kept in check” is more likely. I would be very surprised if humans can survive for long without virus.

But, yes, if diseases of all sorts could never have grave consequences, it would be good. Also, it would be cool if people weren’t assholes, dementia did not transform loved one into husk of themselves, and gender dysphoria wasn’t a thing.

(for the last one : I don’t mean “transgender”.I am more or less into a bout of gender dysphoria, and it’s not particulary pleasant. It is better than when I was insomniac, so there’s that)

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Congrats, Viscaria!!!

Also happy birthday to everyone with recent birthdays!

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

Happy birthday Monzach, Rhuu!

@Ohlmann
*hugs* if desired, I know how much that sucks. Feel free to message me at my nym (Just the first part) at gmx dot us if you need a sympathetic ear/someone to talk with.

re: Buses
On the topic of bus/mass transit systems in the U.S. (the stories are different elsewhere), there are many books to be written (and many that have been), but once again it boils down to ‘fiscal conservatism’, which actually means ‘systemic economic racism’.

shartheheretic
shartheheretic

Hope you feel better soon, David. The flu this year is a rough one!

Happy Birthday, y’all!

shartheheretic
shartheheretic

Meanwhile, I know I’ve seen it explained a million times here, but how to I add/change my avatar?

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@shar
Use the email you comment with here, everything else should be self explanatory. If not, I’ll be happy to answer any questions

We seriously need to put a gravatar link on the front page or something

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger | February 26, 2017 at 10:20 am
@Paradoxy
Yooo, fuck buses down south tho! Schedules don’t make no sense, routes make even less. I can either take a bus and then walk 20 min to work, or take 2 buses. By some fuckery, both take the same amount of time. By even more fuckery, it’s a 7 min drive from my house

That’s the same problem I have with the first/last bus I would take to work/home every day.

It would take me the same amount of time to actually walk to the next stop/my house than it does for me to walk to the stop and wait for that bus.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve walked home, only to see the bus I would have taken pull up to the stop I would have gotten off at.

Of course the thing is, as someone with an injury that affects how long/far I can stand/walk, I have to consider if standing at the bus stop and waiting for the bus and taking the bus is better for my leg than just straight up walking.

I mean, most people would say “You should walk, it’s healthier!” but then I have to take my injury into account.

It takes me TWO HOURS sometimes to get to work/internship, and another two hours to get home.

That’s FOUR HOURS of travel time for a five mile distance. This is why I’m working on overcoming my fear of driving, because this is some bullshit.

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer | February 26, 2017 at 1:12 pm
re: Buses

That’s something I’ve noticed as well. There’s a very obvious racial change when I head into work vs. where I live.

Where I live, there’s a lot of African American people and Latinx people. Where I work (across the street from one major state university) it’s 99% white people.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Paradoxy

My brother drives, but he has a job and a social life. He takes me most of the time. Still bullshit

^Yup! I live in a pretty white suburban city but in the browner part thereof. I work in an ‘unincorporated community’ where affluent white people go to die. Me and @Dali have taken to calling said community the Heart of Whiteness. And the walk is entirely up and down hill. No flat land at all. Not a single bus will go from my area to the other even tho it’s literally the same street. And a major roadway at that. Coincidence I’m sure *grumble*

LeftWingFox
LeftWingFox

Congratulations Viscaria and Happy Birthday Monzach!

🙂

Kylo Ronin
Kylo Ronin

Congratulations Viscaria and Happy Birfday, Monzach and Rhuu!

Hope you have a speedy recovery, David!

Lord Pabu
Lord Pabu

Hey gang, so I just got messaged by a self titled MRA on Facebook. (I’m guessing it’s because I responded to one of the ridiculous memes on the Male Lives Matter Facebook page, and I am questioning the wisdom of that move.) This is what he has to say;

“Are you a feminist? I am a men’s rights activist(MRA). Instead of going by these terms I would like to examine individual points to see if there is some similarity.”

That sounds reasonable enough, but I’ve seen enough of the MRA trolls that have shown up here to know that even the reasonable ones can turn into spewing hate fountains when the conversation progresses far enough, and I don’t want to have something I say copied and pasted on an MRA forum along with my personal information. I use my real name on Facebook, after all.

I should just block him, right? …right? I hate to just block someone without even answering them when they’ve asked for nothing more than a reasonable discussion, but I’m not obliged to talk to anyone and everyone, and I didn’t sign up for this.

Anyway, sorry for interrupting! I only just saw his message, and the whole thing has me feeling uneasy.

Pie
Pie

@Lord Pabu

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a self-titled MRA argue in good faith, or even politely, on the internet. If there were reasonable ones, I’d like to think that they’d look around at the vile cesspool they’re standing in and think long and hard about whether they want to continue to be associated with it.

I think you’re sensible for not wanting this sort of stress attached to your real name and regular facebook account.

DanHolme
DanHolme

@David

Sorry to hear you’re still not well, try some echinacea – I actually find it works, and I don’t usually bother with herbal remedies.

@Viscaria
Please allow me to join in the general congratulations!

@AlanRobertshaw
Re your bus story – was that in Dentdale, by any chance? When I worked at the Youth Hostel there eleven years ago, I used to run a mile and half down to the pick-up point for the bus on a Wednesday so that I could spend 2 hours in Sedbergh before having to return. It’s amazing how many books you can buy/pints you can drink when it’s your one opportunity in the week.

occasional reader
occasional reader

Hello.

> David
Keep going to beat the crap of the flu. I would suggest a grog (honey + strong alcool – traditionnaly rhum + some drops of lemon juice – not mandatory but who can really dislike lemon juice ?) to help you fight. The grog generally have to be a bit heated (but not to much or the alcool will lose any effect).

> Viscaria
Congratulations. Enjoy the engaged life !

> Monzach and Rhuu
Happy birthday ! But remember the birthday cake is a lie.

I have been to the Salon de l’Agriculture this week-end, with some family. Seeing animals is fun, but there is no gestion of the traffic of the (walking) visitors, so it is full of bump, push, elbow and shoulder play, which is kind of annoying if you do not like big crowds (or even just crowds). If you have this kind of phobia, avoid week-ends at all costs.

Have a nice day.

Lord Pabu
Lord Pabu

@Pie

Yeah, I sort of agree with you. And by sort of, I mean completely. A truly reasonable and fair-minded person wouldn’t find the company of your average MRA to be very palatable.

I’m just going to block him and save myself the pain. I run into misogynist types in the real world too often already.

@Viscaria, Rhuu, and Monzach;

The warmest of congratulations and the happiest of birthdays to you three!
comment image

((Meme shows two kittens leaping toward each other in the most epic and fluffy of hugs))

occasional reader
occasional reader

Sorry for the double post.

Being a famous morroco singer seems to grant you a few (sarcasm) privileges…
Mind you, he is already inculped of rape in USA, but he refuse to go to the trial. And he is already charged in France for under an aggravated rape accusation (end of october 2016), and it seems that it makes another victim to have the courage to stand up (the accusation discussed in the article is from november 2016).
Of course, innocent until proven guilty. But having the King of Morroco to pay for one of your trial… So much for the equality… There are even conspiracy theories about some of the accusations.

If you read french, i suggest not reading comments of articles (slut shaming, conspiracy theories, racism, and so on).

Kat
Kat

Visualize birthday kittens for all more-or-less current birthday havers!

*********

@Lord Pabu

I’m just going to block him and save myself the pain.

IMO, you did the right thing. Strike preemptively!

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

@Occasional Reader : I find vomit-inducing the fact the original title (visible in the URL) was “le chanteur Saad entendu dans une affaire de moeur”, which more of less imply it’s just some consensual sex.

I prefer to not even read the comments. It’s bad for my pulse.

@Lord Pabu : that look like a trap. Don’t subject yourself to it.

Rhuu
Rhuu

@eli: THANK YOU! Bookmarked!

@all the birthday wishes: THANK YOU! It was a weird day. Normally i’d have a party, but a friend organised two events this weekend, so i couldn’t really? And it just felt like too much work.

So instead i stayed home. Which was good too, one of my room mates was very nice and spent time with me, and we baked a cake.*

Also i installed my kickstarted copy of night in the woods, and got to play it for like 10 minutes. Yay!

(*Though i CANNOT make a damn sponge cake. I will try again! Stupid eggs as a rising agent!!!)

Ledasmom
Ledasmom

Note to everyone who may have a doofus dog who needs a wound repaired: Please listen to what the vet says about keeping the Cone of Shame on.
We just had a dog come back in yesterday because the owner wasn’t watching the dog “for a few seconds” while the cone was off. Dog pulled the drain out of the repaired wound and possibly ate it. The vet said a few things when he heard about this.
It’s quite possible for many dogs to eat with the cone on, if you put the dish on a sort of pedestal so the dog’s mouth can reach the food while the cone goes around the bowl. Otherwise, constant vigilance, especially if you own a nervous dog who tries to suddenly sprint from the room and dive off the exam table and so forth.
Also, my cat got her tail caught in a door and had to go in on a day I was not working and now has a shaved section in the middle of her tail and looks like a doofus. I swear she doesn’t realize she has no fur there. I keep laughing whenever I see her; there’s a furry tip, then this section of opossum tail, then more fur.

Lea
Lea

Hope you get plenty of rest and feel better soon.

Paradoxical Intention: Resident Cheeseburger Slut

So, I had some chicken Shawarma today from a local restaurant by my internship. It’s alright. I liked the flavor, but I felt like they would benefit from a touch more chicken. I had a little too much wrap for my tastes. It was like a 7/10 though.

I don’t know if it’s because it’s how they make it today or what but I don’t think I’ll be ordering again, and instead I’ll get their really yummy gyro pitas, which are the same price and I know I like those.

As for my internship, I signed up to sit at a table for an hour at the college across the street and talk about our corporation’s app, which tells people about the area and lets users know about sales and events and stuff, and that’s in about an hour.

I’m mostly sitting on my hands today, waiting for people to get back to me with necessary information so I can complete my projects. I hate this part of the job, it makes me feel lazy for not doing any work, even though I know I can’t move forward and do any work without these other people’s input.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

The Guardian has a clickbait article on some study suggesting that hetero/bi women are sexually out of luck compared to men and lesbians:

While 95% of heterosexual men reported that they usually or always orgasmed during sexually intimate moments, just 65% of heterosexual women did. By contrast, the figure was 89% for gay men, 86% for lesbian women, 88% for bisexual men and 66% for bisexual women.

Before reading the article, I tried to guess, as a totally inexperienced hetero guy, what these three magic moves might be:

1. Frankly discuss the options before starting.

2. Subtly solicit and follow feedback after starting.

3. Have the towel ready in its place and don’t panic.

OK, turns out that

combination of genital stimulation, deep kissing and oral sex is the “golden trio” for women when it comes to increasing their likelihood of reaching orgasm with a sexual partner.

Apparently, “genital stimulation” is used to mean any other than penile or oral stimulation. At first the list looked a little redundant.

Also, close to the end the researcher herself is quoted noting that women actually have individual desires. So there’s that.

@Arctic Ape I remember reading something a while back that was a real eye-opener for me. Studies or surveys comparing straight men to straight women with respect to sex don’t acknowledge that in general hetero sex happens with whom and when the man wants it to happen; straight women have less ability to choose whom they have sex with, and when they have sex. Given that, it shouldn’t be a huge surprise that straight men are more sexually satisfied, and happier with their sex lives, than straight women.

I remember being really impressed with how Saga in The Bridge has sex when she feels like it, with whatever man she picks–I would love to be able to do that, and would if I were younger, fitter, more attractive, better able to defend myself if something went wrong, and lived in a society where it wasn’t likely I’d be treated badly (by the men in question or by society in general) for behaving that way.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

I see how that might be one root cause. To be accurate BTW the study mentioned above didn’t discuss sexual satisfaction generally but orgasm specifically.

Jules
Jules

Paradoxical

So, I had some chicken Shawarma today

That’s on my list to try.

I recently found a good Persian restaurant; had a chelo kebab sandwich, which consisted of saffron rice, beef kebab, and chopped tomatoes (I don’t know what they do to those ‘maters, but somehow they’re absolutely delicious) in a flaky lavash wrap. A lot of food for the price, too.

numerobis
numerobis

I just told my landlord I’m moving.

Oh god this is really happening!

I hope the kitties like the arctic.

Tovius
Tovius

Get better soon, David

Dalillama: Irate Social Engineer

@occasional reader

That’s a new usage of grog for me; I’d call such a thing a toddy, and suggest whisky as the alcohol. Heat some water to boiling, dissolve honey in it, then pour in whisky and lemon to taste*. Brandy is also an excellent choice. I hold that grog properly refers to watered rum, but I’m something of a traditionalist in my booze.

@Paradoxy

There’s a food cart a few blocks from here that makes a wonderful lamb gyro, usually 2 meals worth for me, for only $5. I keep meaning to try something else, but for whatever reason everything else costs more, and I know I like the gyro, so…

*Use in moderation. The drunkest I think I’ve ever been was when my girlfriend made me three or four of those for a terrible sore throat, that was bad enough I’d not eaten solid food in a week.

varalys the dark

I picked up a cold from my two and a half year old nephew a couple of days ago and think I have blown about a gallon on mucus out of my nose since. My sister is two months off giving birth to her second and I keep reading all the horror stories on r/badwomensanatomy and freaking myself out.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

For listeners of Citizen Radio, Allison Kilkenny has just outed Jamie Kilstein as a serial abuser. As a fan of the show and of Jamie’s comedy, I am devastated. Sadly, it’s never a surprise when feminist, progressive cis men are revealed to be creeps. This time it was a very upsetting non-surprise, at least for me. 🙁

Rhuu
Rhuu

@Paradoxical:

😀 I love chicken shawarma! There’s also this really great eggplant sandwich at this one shawarma chain that I have decided is the absolute best. Mmmmmm…. I could go for one of those right now mmmmm….

@artic ape: Your list is clearly unrealistic, clearly. 9__9

@numerobis: I’m excited for you! Good luck with packing!

@IP OK I am genuinely shocked by that–it’s been a while since I listened to them, but they always sounded very close and happy.

Kat
Kat

@numerobis
Wow! All best wishes to you & kittyz in the Arctic!

**********

Trump’s assertion:

“Nobody knew health care could be so complicated.”

Hmm. I did!

And poor Kellyanne Conway!

Drexel dean to seek disbarment of Kellyanne Conway in N.J.

Her Tweet from three days ago, possibly a simpler time:

Loved less TV, more sleep/kidtime. + @POTUS best messenger: presser, rally, CPAC, Joint Session, daily roundtables.…

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@PI, others:
I like shawarma as well, though I often go for the falafel. There’s a place within two blocks of where I live that sells it. Granted, within a few blocks I can find multiple pizza places including some local specialists, a few places doing jerk chicken, a few low-end sports bars, and at least one churrasqueira. (I live in Toronto, in what an old roommate of mine used to call ‘the middle of a very interesting demographic slope’. I’ve got Little Italy to the south, Little Jamaica to the north, Portuguese mostly to the west, and a lot of old money to the east. I refer to it as ‘the part of town that used to be the suburbs a hundred years ago’.)

Toronto has a reasonably decent transit system for such a sprawled-out mess of a city. And a lot of the modern suburbs are taking transit seriously, trying to not repeat Toronto’s mistakes and instead get some of the work done before there’s too much traffic and gridlock to be able to do the work easily. York Region to the north has built dedicated bus lanes along a couple of the major thoroughfares through the region. Everybody’s moving to a single payment system of the ‘Presto’ card (which is the same basic technology as the ‘Oyster’ card in England).

It can still take me almost two hours to get to work, but that’s because it’s some 25km to go, and at least I have a netbook I can use to write stories on.

numerobis
numerobis

The move will be in June. In the meantime, I need to find a job!

My sweetheart just flew up to the actual arctic today, for a one-day work trip. By which I mean one day of work. Add on one day each way of travel. Apparently it’s slightly cold. The temperature where F or C match up.

Skiriki
Skiriki

Well! I am now in possession of a new, fancy, two-inch long facial scar.

What I will tell people: I got it while wrangling a small Asiatic leopard.

What actually happened: Carisma didn’t want hug-tiems & scritchies in bed, and made a sudden leap for freedom, kicking my face with her hindleg and cats jump using their claws as launch-boosters.

In any case, OW.

eli
eli

@Skiriki

OW

@Birthday and Engagement havers

Congratulations and all the happy days!

@Arctic Ape

Jezebel did a Friday post on that article and, of course, that guy was in the comments. You know him, the one who can’t get a second date and is hostile and makes it all about his boner! He was ALL OVER the comments about how straight sex is so difficult for men. Women just have to lay there, I tell you. It was really gross.

@all sick people

I hope you get better soon!

mywall
mywall

@numerobis

Good luck with the move. Where abouts are you going? Arctic could be Canada, Norway, Russia..

I’m also doing a big move. Today I told my boss I’m going. I’m not sure I did it right.

Kat
Kat

My boyfriend took a long time to get home from downtown San Francisco today. Here’s why:

A block of San Francisco’s busy Market Street was shut down in both directions for more than two hours at rush hour Monday evening because of a bomb threat at the offices of the Anti-Defamation League, authorities said. . . .

The threat was one of 28 called into Jewish community centers and schools in 17 states on Monday. A threatening phone call was reported at the Oshman Family Jewish community center in Palo Alto.

SF’s Market Street reopened after bomb threat to Anti-Defamation League

Thanks, Trump, for emboldening haters!

No, there’s absolutely no way that encouraging them could come back to bite you in the butt.

None at all.

numerobis
numerobis

mywall: there isn’t really a right way. The best you can hope for is that your boss answers yes to “would you hire this person again” for later references.

Skiriki: you’ve watched the sad cat diaries I hope? If not, google it. It appears your cat did not follow protocol, which is to bite the shit out of you — not to claw your face off.

I’m headed to Iqaluit. There’s apparently no shortage of work, but the response time is slow. I’ve got contracts to work through in the mean time.

Kat
Kat

@mywall
Big move?

Congratulations! Hope it goes really well.

MrsObedMarsh
MrsObedMarsh

Mammotheers: consider signing up for the White House mailing list so you can learn exactly the kind of bullshit the administration is pushing. Sometimes they send you links to surveys full of leading questions trying to get you to support Trump; I like to use them to slam him and everything he and his people are doing. It’s a small thing and doesn’t amount to much, but it makes me feel better – and the more discouragement Trump’s collaborators get, the better. The surveys do ask for your name, email address, state, and ZIP code, but you can easily put in fake ones.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

In somewhat more lighthearted news, towns in Germany are celebrating Karnival with floats satirizing politicos. WEG.

IN PICS: German Carnival floats show Trump no mercy

Skiriki
Skiriki

@numerobis:

Carisma is such a rebel. She’d never follow any kind of protocol.

She also seemed to feel bad about having cut me/icky about having human blood on hind-paw and joined me in bathroom as I washed the cut. Didi was upset, overly dramatic and meow-demanded to know if I am going to die and if I am, who will give her kibble.

List of things that upset Didi:
* Sounds (sneezing, birds, kids in staircase, etc)
* Sights (things dropping, things wriggling, etc)
* Smells (her own poop, pee, human food, etc)
* Carisma
* Everything. Really everything. There’s no way to predict what will upset her, so assume everything.

Once she was convinced that I wasn’t going to die, she lost most of her interest and wandered away, still vaguely upset that this was happening, even if I wasn’t making a big production out of it in RL (when it happened, I just remarked aloud in calm voice “well that wasn’t nice”), just dabbing my cheek and occasionally tossing the wad of paper to toilet.

Kat
Kat

@Skiriki

Well! I am now in possession of a new, fancy, two-inch long facial scar.

That sounds painful. And you’re a lot more calm than I would have been.

I hope that it turns out to be a scratch, not a scar. Unless you want a scar, that is. You could say that you dueled with a small Asiatic leopard, who had an UNFAIR advantage.

Skiriki
Skiriki

@Kat

Putting together facts like age + skin type + depth — it is likely to leave a faint stripe on my face for a couple of years, at least.

At least it looks fairly badass, and might net me +1 Intimidation bonus.

And small Asiatic leopards DO have an unfair advantage — five of their six ends are sharp and pointy and they have fur and I don’t.

mywall
mywall

@Kat

Heading to Prague. All the stuff happening in the UK inn the past year got me looking abroad and the place jumped out at me as a really nice city.