#ResistTrump trump

Today’s #ResistTrump Menu: Scott Pruitt, Trump’s tax returns, Russia Russia Russia!

Scott Pruitt: Crushing the environment’s head

Three items on the menu today — do them all or pick your favorite(s)!

SCOTT PRUITT: With robot-loving, minimum-wage hating, allegedly wife-abusing fast food magnate Andy Puzder taking himself out of the running for labor secretary, the focus now turns to Scott Pruitt, the litigious EPA-botherer who now wants to run the agency. His confirmation vote is set for Friday, and it’s not a sure thing. Republican Susan Collins and Independent Angus King say they’ll be voting against him.

So call your senators! For more on what a disaster Pruitt could be as the head of the EPA see this MIT Technology Review piece; 5calls also has a quick summary of Pruitt’s flaws and a script for calling.

TRUMP’S TAXES: So it turns out there’s an old law that could compel Trump to hand his tax returns over to the House Ways and Means committee. Unfortunately, in a vote earlier this week, Republicans on that committee voted against using it to pry Trump’s tax returns loose.

If you’d like to give any of the 23 “no” voters a call, you can find their names and numbers here. Or call your rep and get on their case about making another request. If your rep is Bill Pascrell, send him a thank you for digging up the law and trying to put it to use.

RUSSIA, RUSSIA, RUSSIA: This is the thing that could bring Trump down. Call your senators. Call your representative. Demand an immediate and INDEPENDENT investigation. 5calls has more info and a brief script.

Hell, make this your daily call on any day you’re not calling about something else. Use any new news on Trump and Russia your excuse to call. Right now, obviously, that’s the Flynn resignation. But there’s new stuff happening with regard to Trump/Russia pretty much every day.

See my posts here and here for more advice on how to call/write your congress members. And here’s some advice on calling politicians if you have social anxiety. If you can’t call, writing a personalized email is also effective.

Oh, and if you need some encouragement, here’s the cover of the latest Time magazine.

I don’t think Trump is going to be bragging about this one.

Karalora

I’ve been calling my congresscritters about Russia. I specifically cited Flynn’s resignation as a cause for concern, that the administration would try to scapegoat him and pretend the whole thing is already resolved. The staffers sounded very understanding of this point, leading me to believe that it’s already a factor in how the Dems are approaching things.

lith
lith

Soooo much wrong with all of this.
So many secrets being really obviously withheld.

What is going on in there?
And when are the rest of the Republican party going to realise that it’s better to fold now than be caught (effectively) supporting whatever it is that’s so awful later?
Or will they? Is it all some enormous weird ruse to confound the opposition while they do something else?
Is Russia even involved? Are Deutsche Bank lying about there being no links between Russia and Trump’s money to protect themselves during the investigation of them by Trump that owes them $300m and is President and wow how complicated can this plot possibly get?

I feel like a ‘last week on’ would take an entire week. There is no summary.

MillenniumCrow
MillenniumCrow

@ lith,

Don’t know if you’ve seen it, but this site offers a pretty good day-by-day breakdown:

Granted, you could probably spend an hour or two on each day if you follow all the links.

PreuxFox
PreuxFox

A wealthy person who does not pay their taxes should never have been eligible for presidency.
Releasing your taxes should be a requirement for running in the first place.

I know this might seem like a minor thing to get hung up on, but it’s still so egregious to me that a significant portion of the U.S. sees a man who scams his way out of paying his taxes and thinks he is qualified to run the country.

Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution
Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution

Why. Just… why?? Why this? How could it possibly be politically beneficial to roll over for this historically unpopular President?

lith
lith

@MilleniumCrow:

I’ve been using a similar site, I could more do with one that tells me what he’s going to do next week. As I don’t think even he knows, that seems unlikely.

@PreuxFox:

He’s really obviously personally benefiting financially. Just like so many predicted he’ll do whatever makes the most money for him and screw everyone else.

@Viscaria:

No. Bleeding. Idea.
But I can’t see how this can keep up for 4 years, something’s got to give.
Maybe they’re aware that this is their best chance to get all the outrageous shit through and then they’ll hang him out to dry?

EDIT: Also, maybe they know that when the shit hits the fan it’s not just Trump that’ll be out but pretty much everyone in line for the presidency. Speculation I know but it certainly seems like something huge is being hidden (badly).

lith
lith

…put it this way. I can hear the Jaws music and I’m waiting for the shark.

PreuxFox
PreuxFox

@Viscaria maybe they’re afraid he’ll find a way to toss them out and replace them with whoever he digs out of the trash next?

Faerie Bard
Faerie Bard

I don’t understand why so many are behind him either, especially since some of these accusations, if true, could land him in jail for treason. I would have thought the “T” word would do it, at least for elected officials.

MillenniumCrow
MillenniumCrow

@ lith,

Unfortunately I don’t know of anything like that (and if I did I’m not sure I want to see it). I think it’s easy to predict how he’ll respond to certain stimuli (such as media criticism) but not easy to predict exactly what he’ll do. That being said, maybe you’ll find a few of these links reassuring.

Trump’s #1 pick to replace Flynn, VADM (ret) Robert Harward, appears to be hesitating. If he takes the job, I expect he’ll purge the NSC staff and get some competent people in there:

Gen. Raymond Thomas, the commander of US Special Operations Command hangs a lampshade on the chaos we’re seeing from the administration. Hopefully he doesn’t get fired for it:

This one speaks for itself I think:

My point to all this being, I think that the flood of leaks that we’ve seen up until now is about to become a veritable tsunami. Smart/responsible people in the U.S. national security community are going to become more and more outspoken until eventually congressional Republicans will be unable to ignore them without suffering political damage.

Falconer
Falconer

I don’t know that it’s the whole “he’ll sign our dream legislation” thing. Wouldn’t Pence do the same thing?

Or hell, maybe it is. He signs anything anybody puts in front of him. Without even reading it first.

But he hasn’t lost a majority of support among Trump voters. Maybe the Rs in Congress are afraid of the base? Lord knows my family’s been trying to vote out Mitch McConnell practically all my life and he hasn’t gone anywhere. So the Ds in KY wouldn’t bother him that much.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

I’m calling it: They’re covering for Trump because they’re all in on the scandal and have been from the beginning. All of them, the entire party. From Pence and Ryan to Sessions and DeVos.

Because “Party before country” doesn’t explain this anymore, but “Desperate self-preservation” does.

Jesalin
Jesalin

And when the shit finally hits the proverbial fan, they’ll all claim they didn’t know anything.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@SFHC
The current incarnation of the GOP was in a civil war between the rational actors and the true believers. The former are selfish snakes but the latter sincerely believe with every bone in their body the entirety of the GOP propoganda machine. Trump tapped into the voter and politicians’ base by exploiting this long plan in the making.

Falconer
Falconer

So when does James Comey have to report for sizing his ill-fitting orange overalls?

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

GOP wants to kill the Endangered Species Act:

Trump and the GOP literally want the Bald Eagle and countless other plants and animals to die out.

MillenniumCrow
MillenniumCrow

Let’s just terminate the Environmental Protection Agency while we’re at it:

Falconer
Falconer

Because everything that exists must be monetized for the profit of, like, eight whole humans, and if it can’t be monetized it doesn’t matter.

Juniper
Juniper

The Republicans have been trying to repeal the Endangered Species Act for decades and haven’t managed to do it yet. On the other hand, maybe they will finally succeed this time.

I don’t know how they could end the EPA without also repealing all the laws they enforce, like the Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act, and the Safe Drinking Water Act. How would that work?

On the bright side, my husband works for a water utility company. Not having a Safe Drinking Water Act would sure make his job easier. He could just pump water straight from the lake to people’s houses without bothering with all that pesky water-treatment to remove bacteria and parasites and stuff. They’d save so much money without those burdensome federal regulations!

Sure, people would have to boil water before they drank it, but what about personal responsibility? Why is it the nanny state’s job to ensure you can drink water straight out of the tap?

Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@Juniper, they could end the EPA very quickly without repealing those laws. Those laws would still be on the books – there would just be no organization to enforce them. That’s how they’ve been doing things for the past decade or two by de-funding and cutting budgets, but killing the EPA itself would be the final nail in the coffin. It’d mean that environmental laws would rely on the honour system. ‘Cause that works…

abars01
abars01

Going to my second protest tomorrow! I’m feeling a little more confident after the lack of counter-protestors at the last one, so this time I’m bringing a sign. Although I’m still wary of becoming an alt-right meme, so I tried to write something fairly clinical (“Prevent conflicts of interest! Make Trump release his tax returns!”) rather than something too flashy (i.e… a picture of an uterus with the words “Don’t tread on me!” superimposed over it). But that, as David points out here, is another thing that needs to be agitated for.

Moggie
Moggie

There’s a Safe Drinking Water Act? How did that help the people of Flint, MI?

magnesium
magnesium

Hey David, did you see that that Sargon asshole has started stalking/harassing young women when he has his children with him https://lilythelostgirl.com/2017/02/15/a-shirt-that-says-feminism/

Fucked on multiple levels.

Falconer
Falconer

@Magnesium, that’s disgusting. I’m glad so many people have rallied around her.

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

I wouldn’t be surprised but also I would because it’s like a fucking pulp novel.

It seems this presidency is something they’ve been scrambling for, with the repeal of the Voting Right’s Act and all the gerrymandering since ’12. They got a patsy like Dump in office who will sign shit without reading so they can do whatever they want to get whatever their little black hearts desire and possibly even push all the blame on Dump instead of them, the puppet masters.

They get all the legislation they want from Dump, Dump gets impeached, Pence takes over to save face as long as no one investigates into the Russia Incident.

Although, honestly, I really hope I’m just being a conspiracy theorist right now because I really don’t want there to be widespread corruption. At all. But it looks like there is.

I mean, I can understand racist/sexist/transphobic/whatever people getting in office to do racist/sexist/whatever things but this shit seems like they’ve organized and are on the attack now??

This may have been a plan decades in motion for all we know. There’s literal nazis and evangelicals in office, we’ve got KKK members in the police force–what is their plan? What is their purpose? What do they want? Are they connected at all? I don’t like this at all. I don’t like feeling like I’m one step away from saying “jet fuel can’t melt steel beams.” I’m anxious and paranoid as it is without government interference thanks.

Gussie Jives
Gussie Jives

@magnesium I knew about this whole situation (which given the circs just makes it clear how tribal Carl and his ilk think), but I hadn’t read her take on it. Now that I have, all I gotta say is: you go, girl! Don’t take shit from nobody, especially not from Carl of Wikipedia and his cringingly short attention span.

MrsObedMarsh
MrsObedMarsh

@lith:

If it all seems overwhelming, just take it one day at a time. And it’s not the end of the world if you take a break for your own sake.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@Magnesium, thank you for linking that. I love that woman. She says that his shit-slinging stops with her. Love it, love it to pieces. Go get’em, girl. Go punch a Nazi. Metaphorically! (Unless actual Nazi. Then go ahead)

@Jack, just saw on Twitter a pretty chilling account. Exxon bought 60,000 square miles of land in Russia for oil extraction in 2012. Russia, obviously, is in on this. However, Ukraine is heavily taxing 3 out of 60 pipelines for export out through the Black Sea. 2014, Russia illegally occupies the Crimea, where most of those oil exports happen. Obama applies sanctions on that oil. Now, the ex-CEO of Exxon is the Secretary of State, and the Russians have been told by the (now ex) National Security Advisor to “not worry” about the sanctions, because Trump will be lifting them. I also seem to recall evidence that Trump was given 20% stock in that oil company as well.

Not sure on the source for that, so don’t believe it. Still pretty chilling.

lith
lith

Thanks @MrsObedMarsh.

It does get to me.

Currently watching Kindness Diaries, which is doing a great job of reminding me that Trump and his ilk are not the rule.

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

Oops, double post hahahahahaha aaaah.

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

@Jack, just saw on Twitter a pretty chilling account…

comment image

Why…why must it always come down to oil…

There doesn’t appear to be a source so I’ll have to keep that at the back of my mind. Where it will fester.

But ffs OIL.

IT’S ALWAYS OIL. ENOUGH WITH THE OIL. FUCKING EVERYONE GET A FUCKING PRIUS ALREADY GOD DAMN.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

On the tax returns… I’m still pretty sure he won’t release them because he doesn’t want everyone to know that he’s been exaggerating his own fortune for decades.

He really always just boils down to “tiny – not tiny”.

2-D Man
2-D Man

Easy. They roll over for Fuckface, or get primaried by someone who will.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Oil is money. Every industry, every economy, everything runs on oil. Our infrastructure is oil based.

It just makes me cry sometimes. We can print solar panels with the same efficiency as we can print newspaper now. Literally, we can print the things in rolls – cut it to the length you want, solder on some contacts, bish-bash-bosh, solar panel.

(Yes, I’m aware that the rolls are plastic. That’s entirely beside the point.)

China and India, love you guys, are currently charging as fast as they can into a sustainable energy network. I don’t blame them – it will help free them from the grip of imperialistic western oil-based economies. The future is theirs. In the west here, though, those same imperialistic economies have us completely on lockdown. They’re killing renewable so that they can squeeze as much as they can out of the current crumbling infrastructure.

It’s one of the biggest reason why Trump terrifies me. There’s a big block of people who don’t care about Trump’s corruption, the willingness to throw women and minorities under the bus, the lies, the graft, his blatant moneymaking, the cronyism, the assault on the press, the destruction of regulation. None of that matters, so long as they get a decent job out of the deal.

So Trump’s gutting the endangered species act, which will allow extraction companies to move into protected areas – primary industry jobs at the expense of a massive dieback of north american biodiversity. So Trump is killing the EPA, which will allow more of the same. And Trump is removing regulations preventing companies from dumping heavy-metal-rich mining tailings into streams and water sources, so that there will be no recovery.

All of this is horrendous – but it’ll make jobs. They’ll live out their retirements in big houses paid for with oil money, die fat and happy, and then their grandchildren will choke and starve. It’s all so nauseatingly awful. Fucking white baby-boomers. (Deep apologies to white baby-boomers in the room)

2-D Man
2-D Man

All of this is horrendous – but it’ll make jobs.

I don’t think I need to say this around here, but, it actually doesn’t.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Oh, I agree – it’s not going to make good jobs. They’ll be resource extraction jobs. I’ve worked in that field before. Camps will be built, giant holes will be dug, oil will be pumped, ore will be crushed – and then it’ll disappear. The jobs will move elsewhere, the national parks will be pock-marked with gravel pits and tailings ponds, all the water in the watershed will be full of mercury, and people will talk sadly about how the geese don’t come around anymore these days. Enough to make me cry, I tell you.

Dormousing_it (formerly RoscoeTCat)
Dormousing_it (formerly RoscoeTCat)

@Scildfreja: When I was a child, in the mid to late 1970s, the air was considerably more polluted (compared to today) in the New Jersey and New York areas. Do people really want to return to that? Like in China, where people wear masks to filter the air they breathe?

Just taking a nostalgic little journey here…my late grandmother lived near Newark, NJ. I’ll never forget the ODORS that assailed us as we neared where she lived. There must have been a rendering plant near where she lived. You know how you boil hot dogs in water? Well, imagine that odor, multiplied by 10,000.

PAPER MILLS – unbelievably bad-smelling, too. Of course, these industries have to be located somewhere, I’m just saying that they are a mixed blessing for the people who live near them.

I had several great-uncles who died from emphysema – they called it Black Lung – from mining coal. They told the younger generation, whatever you do, don’t be a coal miner! And there are people who want to return to THAT?

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Dormousing_it (formerly RoscoeTCat)
B-But muh satisfy male insecurity and jerbs. When it comes from folks who say that sincerely, it usually means they have zero experience with professions that have a track record of killing your body. Or do know what will happen but are too empathy deprived to reflect/care.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@Doormousing it, i know right? We’ve done this before. We know what happens. We can look at countries with less regulation and see what’s happening there right now!

Friend of mine says that all most Trump voters seem to care about is whether they’ll have a job. I think it’s more than that, but I can certainly agree that they don’t care whether minorities suffer or the world goes to hell; they don’t care about the lives of their children and they certainly don’t care about their grandchildren. All they care about is what’s happening in their own little life, right here, right now. Nothing outside that circle matters.

They’ll learn that they were wrong to think so small. We’ll all unfortunately have to go along for their lesson, if it gets to that. We may not get the opportunity to repeat it, either.

@magnesium I shop in that Lush! Next time I’m in I’ll offer moral support in person. Hopefully won’t run into Carl of Swindon.

EDIT: Oops never mind. ‘Either way, it’s creepy and unnerving to hear that people are actively seeking you out in person after something like this has happened.’

Re Russia oil deal:

‘Putin and Sechin announced on Russia’s national television that the country had sold to foreign investors 19.5 percent of Rosneft, almost exactly the portion cited by the dossier.’

Zephkiel - Feminist MGTOW
Zephkiel - Feminist MGTOW

@Guest

Yeah, I think a supportive comment on her blog would be more appreciated than in person – she can’t know that you’re a good stranger after all.

Sheila Crosby

Thought: a while ago trump was saying that if the Russians hadn’t interfered, he would have won anyway because he’d have done more campaigning in swing states.

If the Russians hadn’t interfered, he would have done things differently.

That’s only possible if HE KNEW.

Although good luck basing a court case on trump’s word.

@Zephkiel They probably do know me–I shop there, and I’m kind of distinctive (as in, unusual for this particular area).

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ guest

I’m kind of distinctive (as in, unusual for this particular area).

Of course round there that could just mean you don’t have an electronic ankle tag. 🙂

Burrrnnnnn…. Actually Swindon kind of grows on you. It’s funny how places like Swindon or Hull get these reputations….

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ guest

I quite like the place. Got some friends who live there (technically they live in South Marston but we insist on saying Swindon) and we do occasionally venture to the bowling alley. Plus it’s always fun playing with the roundabout (“Shall I clockwise or anti-clockwise this time?”)

And Hull (or Kingston, Hull’s the river) is great. Got an old flame there and she works on a street called “Land of Green Ginger”. How cool an address is that!

Karalora

@Scildfreja:

And it has to be the right kind of job. Something manly and traditional, so they don’t have to challenge their minds or their assumptions about the world. A transition to renewable energy would create so many jobs, building and maintaining the new infrastructure, but these guys don’t want to hear it.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@Karalora, that really is it, isn’t it. They don’t just want a job, they want an appropriate job. A job that’s manly enough for a manly man like them. I mean, perhaps it’s generalizing to say that? But a unifying factor amongst Trump voters is that we know that every one of them voted for Trump – which means that at the least they were willing to vote rampant sexism and racism into the office.

I like how Keith Olbermann put it on one of his recents. All the jobs that those 11 million illegal immigrants do? Picking cucumbers in the hot summer sun, scrubbing toilets at the downtown stadium? Yeah, line up, Trump voters – oh, you aren’t willing to work those jobs? Even if you get paid better than the immigrants trying to feed their families? Imagine that.

God, they’re a bunch of whiny babies. Nnnngh.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Dormousing_it, Scildfreja:
I was born in Prince George, B.C., and while I don’t remember it all that well, I spent some of the 70s in Quesnel, which is just a little south of it.

You could always tell there when the wind was coming from the north because you could smell the pulp and paper mills from Prince George, 120km to the north.

As for rendering plants, I now live in Toronto, not too far from the old Junction stockyards that originally gave Toronto the nickname ‘Hogtown’. Those actually got significantly cleaned up just in the mid-1990s; when I first moved to Toronto, you could still smell them even if they hadn’t been in active use for years at that point.

I remember acid rain being a big thing in the 1970s and 1980s.

I remember flying into L.A. in about 1990 and being able to tell when we got over the main valley from the smell… from inside the airplane.

It reminds me of anti-vaxxers, where a lot of these people must obviously be too young to remember what things were actually like back in the ‘good old days’ they keep talking about…

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

(Land of Green Ginger? I read that book so many times when I was little! … now you’ve made me want to see if it’s on the shelf anywhere … ::long pause, searching dark corner with torch:: … no, it seems to be gone :-((((((
oh, and I have some rellies in Kingston. T’other one, though)