empathy deficit men who should not ever be with women ever MGTOW misogyny

Men Going Their Own Way declare war on flowers, flower recipients

Bummer, dude

Today’s POST-VALENTINE’S DAY 50% OFF SALE ON BELATED VALENTINE’S DAY POSTS continues with a little peek into the Men Going Their Own Way subreddit, where the locals have declared war on flowers, men who give women flowers, and of course the women who have flowers given to them.

In the waning hours of Valentine’s Day, a MGTOW calling himself davisyoung posted a photo of a man buying flowers at a supermarket — traditionally the most romantic place to buy last-minute Valentine’s day flowers because you forgot it was Valentine’s day.

“Suckers!!!!!” davisyoung crowed. “And Happy Int’l MGTOW Day to everyone.”

International MGTOW Day is the alternate holiday that MGTOWs celebrate every Valentine’s day. Traditional International MGTOW Day activities include posting bitter misogynistic tirades on Reddit, posting bitter misogynistic tirades on places other than Reddit, and muttering bitter misogynistic tirades under one’s breath.

Naturally, the MGTOW subreddit regulars were happy to share their holiday spirit.

Someone called dot_dot_beep won dozens of upvotes for this lovely sentiment:

Women and consumerism are complementary parasites on the backs of the beasts of burden that are men. Look at those simps–psychologically broken there hoping some flowers will gain their master’s approval.

Andreas-mgtow agreed, declaring that these pathetic flower-buying men only “do it [so as] not to elicit the wrath of their live-in she monsters.”

Really? My live-in she-monsters prefer catnip, or even just a fresh can of cat food. (Note for extremely literal-minded readers: That’s because they are cats. That’s the joke. Not because I live with a group of women who demand I feed them Friskies.)

TheCommentMutilator offered a little field report:

This year was my first in 17 years of not going through these motions. Went to the grocery this evening to grab some things for dinner and it felt so good to not have to search for the obligatory Valentine’s Day gift.

No ring on my finger, no chocolates or flowers in the cart. Just me and my steaks and vegetables. The vacant, hollow eyes that gazed at my cart bolstered my pride in being a single man on this day.

The “vacant, hollow eyes that gazed at your cart?!” Where the hell are you shopping anyway?

I’ve never been a big fan of Valentine’s day myself, but jeez guys, get a fucking grip.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I’d really recommend The Disaster Artist. It’s by the guy who played the infamous Mark and it’s a memoir of the making of The Room. Shockingly, Wiseau totally creeped on the female cast members/actresses who auditioned.

dlouwe
dlouwe

@LindsayIrene

Oh, that scene. That scene.

For those who haven’t seen it, (and for the repeat enjoyment of those who have), I present to you the greatest scene in film history.

Perfect. Everything about it is perfect

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@Sinkable John

About that dream, err… I’ve had the same one. If you figure out how to bleach that one out of your memory, you gotta tell me how. I’ll tell you if I come up with anything (I can already tell you, smoke don’t help with that).

Really? I mean, at least he didn’t do anything rude, per se. He wasn’t making a mess, and technically speaking he offered to share. Or is it just him existing?

Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution
Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution

Married for 17 years, apparently hated what he saw as an empty annual flower-buying ritual, but did not once think of talking to his wife and changing their tradition. Yeah, that figures.

We don’t tend to do much for Valentine’s. This year we’re going to go to a nice Thai place when I go home for the weekend, because we both enjoy going out and can no longer afford to do so more than a few special occasions a year. Last year we… made spaghetti together, I think? You can be partnered and have a low-key V-day, angry men of the internet. Believe.

Actual Valentine’s day sucked for kind of the same reason as it did for you, PI, although being 3 hours away and commuting home on weekends is obviously not the same as what you two have to deal with. But spending the day apart was emblematic of the fact that I have chosen to be here, away from my partner and my home, and I’m probably going to have to do goddamn summer school which means even more time, and we had Big Emotional Conversation Monday night so it was kind of a perfect storm of suck. Also, he’s probably going to keep holding onto that damn ring for yet another week because he won’t want to give it to me too close to Valentine’s, for fear of being cliché. I JUST WANT THE SPARKLY.

hippielady
hippielady

Hubby and I didn’t want to wade through the Valentine’s day crowds at a restaurant, so we decided to go out for a drink at a local hotel that plays music in its lobby and anyone can go in. There are couches in addition to the traditional bar stools, so we grabbed our drinks and cuddled in an unoccupied couch corner for about an hour or so. It was so nice and relaxing after both of us working all day.

Steampunked
Steampunked

Last night I got home and the stairs were vacuumed. The stairs and their vacuumed state are a constant source of angst for the entire household, as the carpet is shit and accumulates EVERYTHING but vacuuming stairs is hard for everyone because of everyone having back problems. Stairs being vacuumed is a big deal to us, so I provided heartfelt thanks, because, seriously. That was awesome!

Then I was given a rose, because he picked it up while running out to get something for dinner. I’d been unable to get my traditional present for him – a Mylar balloon. I used to pick the worst one I could find, but we’re a little broke. Not sure where the rose came from!

Small person wanted to be the one giving the rose, so we used her to pass the rose back and forth between us as a sort of multiple gift thing – “Now you give daddy HIS Valentine’s present, aww, a surprise rose! Now pass it to daddy to give back to you -”

And that was about it. Getting the rose was nice – I love cut flowers of all kinds – but I grow a lot myself, and we decided they would be nicer in the garden than indoors right now. But there was no exhausted trauma or slavery. No angst. The rose was a surprise, but a low key nice one. Why do these folks turn it into such drama? No one was harmed.

Lea
Lea

These guys want everything thing they do to somehow be a sign of how exceptional they are. When you need buying yourself dinner to demonstrate your superiority, you protest too much. When you need to make yourself out to be a martyr because you have occasionally purchased cheap grocery store flowers for someone on a holiday, you’re laying it on way too thick. Other than themselves, who exactly do they think they’re fooling?

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

Every standard yellow banana is a clone (no seeds, see?).

In the defense of banana farmers, if you bit into a wild banana, you’d probably chip a tooth on the seeds.

Pavlovs House
Pavlovs House

I bought flowers for Ms. Pavlov’s House on Valentines Day but….are you sitting down for this?….sometimes I buy them for her on regular days too, like once in a while just for the hell of it. She’s neither live-in nor a she-monster but she’s a she. Sometimes she buys me things like a shirt she thinks will look good on me.

Am I manning wrong? Maybe I’m just a deluded mangina. I should read more MGTOW blogs. Aren’t they also experts on all manly things like military history?

No, wait, that’s Roosh….

Pavlovs House
Pavlovs House

@hippielady

What a lovely description of an evening with a significant other.

Ray of Rays
Ray of Rays

In my defense, hers and my plan for meeting after the workday precluded me keeping flowers around for very long, and Ralphs was the only place in walking distance on my lunch break.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I feel quite ignorant now. I had absolutely no idea wild bananas were so different than commercially grown bananas. I assumed there were size, texture and color differences but was totally clueless about the seeds.

I always learn so much here.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Here’s a side by side comparison

comment image

Damn.

reimalebario
reimalebario

I spent Valentine’s Day playing RPG’s with my mates. My girlfriend spent it on the sofa enjoying TV shows that she knows I don’t like. All was well.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Axecalibur:

Side note: I really like sunflowers and sad sunflower makes me sad…

Years ago I visited Portugal together with my fellow Finnish agriculture students. We’d practically never seen a sunflower field, and photos only ever show them in one development stage (blooming).

Now there were harvest ready sunflower fields, seeds were ripe and the plants were dead and dry, looking vaguely like human skeletons, colored dark grayish-brown. All the heads were drooping in the same direction, creating an impression of an army of very sad supernatural skeleton soldiers frozen on an endless march. We thought it was kinda impressive.

booburry

I was working the overnight at a grocery store the night before V-Day and SO many men were coming in telling me “my wife told me not to buy her flowers. They’re so expensive and they just wilt and die…” as they had me wrapping 80 dollar bouquets. (Kind of a fancy pants grocery store I guess??)
I told them all they should listen to their spouses but they insisted the whole thing was a trick and if they didn’t get the flowers they’d be in “trouble”. I wondered if they could spend 5 seconds thinking of a cheaper and more thoughtful gift that wouldn’t die but alas I am just running night operations at a grocery store so wtf do I know? Moral of my story is that I think most of the V-Day stress on hetero dudes is conjured by themselves and I suppose society. I’m thankful my partner listens to me and just got a cute card.

The mgtows are just as delusional as ever. Oooh this man is buying FOOD?! At a grocery store?? Stop the fucking presses we got a big lede here ya’ll.

booburry

Now that I think about it more I also had a ton of guys buying valentine’s doo-dads and candy for their daughters but can’t recall any mentioning buying them for their sons.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

@Sinkable John
Somehow I missed you saying you were interested in me tearing the bigot apart yesterday. I’ll get it together, put some black boxes on the other participants and post it after work.

At some point I need to find someone willing to critisize my approach for effectiveness. I’m sure there are many places where I can be more effective.

Dormousing_it (formerly RoscoeTCat)
Dormousing_it (formerly RoscoeTCat)

My husband had a kidney stone attack last weekend, so I told him to forget about purchasing me anything at all. He didn’t. He’s still feeling soreness from the stones, but we’re hoping he’s passed them.

I got him a card.

We did go out to dinner the next day, for his birthday.

When you’ve been married for a quarter century, these things just don’t matter anymore, I think.

occasional reader
occasional reader

Hello.

> Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Speaking seriously for a moment, these MGTOW dudes show all the sighs of extremely high anxiety. It’s not surprising, honestly – our society generates anxiety better’n it does carbon emissions – but the constant hammering of their fear response couldn’t be more apparent. These guys are mortified, and have just learned to express it as anger. Which only makes it worse, of course.

Well, venting sometimes to unstress a bit is not that bad. The problem is venting in a closed place. I mean, if we use a literral asshole example, if you fart in the open, it fades quickly in general. Now, if you do it in something like the toilets or the shower (+2 to the odor, thanks to the water), it lasts longer. In their case, not only it will hardly disappear, but as they repeat always the same things and always aknowledge and agree each other, it has the opposite effect, progressively increasing their anxiety level. Group effect at its worse.

Have a nice day.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Anyone hyped for the new Pokemon Go update? 🙂

Also, anyone playing the new Fire Emblem mobile game?

kupo
kupo

There’s a new Fire Emblem mobile game? Downloaded! Google play also found a Sword Art Online game which I may have also downloaded. Two mobile games in one day, and I never play mobile games. 🙂

PreuxFox
PreuxFox

I’m so excited they’re adding 2nd gen to Pokemon Go! It’s my favorite gen, I think. (The first game I ever played was Crystal, so…)

I need a cyndaquil <3

Falconer
Falconer

I’m excited for more Pokemon!

And I tried Fire Emblem Heroes, but the abysmal chance of getting a five-star hero, the amount of grinding needed to increase stars, and the overall slot machine feel of it turned me off.

Seriously, I spent every minute playing that game remembering all the other Fire Emblems I’ve played, especially the ones I haven’t finished.

Also they didn’t seem to have anybody from the console games, which are the ones I played first.

Sorry to be such a downer.

Christina Nordlander, Emperor's White Knight
Christina Nordlander, Emperor's White Knight

That sad sunflower in the photo is the cutest thing I’ve seen in a while.

@John: Damn, I feel for you.

Pavlovs House
Pavlovs House

Can you imagine the even greater outrage MGTOWs would express at the idea of a man giving a woman flowers on March 8, International Women’s Day? It’s a Russian custom, going back to Soviet times. Keep in mind that International Women’s Day already outrages MGTOWs enough just by existing. David had a great post about that last year.

I given Ms. Pavlov’s House (who is Russian-American and born in Russia),flowers for both Valentines Day and again on International Women’s Day so I’m probably even a worse mangina than I thought.

On another holiday related note (though not a romantic holiday one) I wish Elbe Day was an official holiday. Observances by the Russian and American militares for Elbe Day in recent years have been small, informal and muted for obvious reasons, but April 25, 1945 in Torgau and its *spirit* deserves memory.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Falconer

Nah, you’re right about all of that. It’s a slimmed down, freemium, mini-version of a Fire Emblem game, with characters mostly (but not exclusively) from the more recent games. It’s not like a real FE, but it is what it is.

@kupo

What is Sword Art?

@PreuxFox

Gen II is sort of the lost generation for me. I started with Red, then I reviewed Gold/Silver for a website. That meant I had access to the game for 2 months, and then I had to send it back. After that, I never actually bought a Gen II game. Since Ruby/Sapphire started the full backward compatibility link, with Gen I remakes added, I kinda forgot everything about Gen II until the remakes came out years later. Even now I’m fuzzy on the Gen II pokemon. Looking forward to this! 🙂

lith
lith

@Imaginary Petal:

SAO is an anime that ran for two seasons about people being trapped in a Virtual Reality MMORPG.
I liked it.

PreuxFox
PreuxFox

IMO gen 2 has some of the cutest Pokemon, but I’m probably biased.

I wonder if enough people will start playing again that we’ll see bad server problems like when it first came out? And I’m curious how the addition of a bunch more Pokemon will change the balance of the game…

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Oh by the way, I had a fun Pokemon Go adventure the other day.

There’s a gym close to my apartment, in a radio tower in the middle of the woods. I’ve sometimes seen occupants in that gym, but it doesn’t seem hotly contested. I tried to walk out there and realized the road to the tower is fenced off, with a padlocked gate. Luckily I could sneak around the fence by walking through the woods. Behind the gate, the dirt road continued into the forest without any kind of lighting. It was still light outside when I went in there, but it gets dark early and quickly this time of year. The area behind the gate totally looked like the kind of place you’re not supposed to be. I found an old wrecked car.

An old container with graffiti, with the radio tower looming in the background.

This was the inside of the container. I was half expecting to encounter a sleeping lynx in there, but it was just full of garbage.

I got closer to the tower itself, and, well… fuck.

Another padlocked gate. This fence went all the way around the tower, so there was no way for me to get any closer. I walked all the way around the fence in order to find the spot that was closest to the gym.

I found that by standing directly to the right of the tower, I could sometimes access the gym when my GPS got confused, just barely long enough to start a battle.

Well, someone had apparently jumped the fence at some point in order to tag the base of the tower. Clearly someone in better shape than me! At this point it had a few Valor pokes in it, and I had to raise the prestige in order to put mine in. I needed to battle the gym 3 times in total, but after the first time my GPS wouldn’t let me come close enough to initiate battle. I tried walking a few circles around the fence until I finally found a sweet spot and quickly finished the job.

It was already getting dark at that time, and I had to make my way out of the forest semi-blindly.

Interestingly enough, other Valor trainers shortly thereafter raised the gym to level 10, and in the last 5 or so days all 10 pokemon have been completely untouched. I think the location of the gym combined with the prestige level scare off other teams from even attempting a takeover.

The radio tower is actually close enough for me to monitor the gym from my apartment. Woop!

Along with this one, I found 3 other hard to reach, Valor dominated gyms in my city. I can now collect 40 coins/day without doing a thing. 🙂

Neremanth, 329 year old Contributor to Society
Neremanth, 329 year old Contributor to Society

@Brony

I too would like to see the debate transcript!

Leda Atomica
Leda Atomica

Came here to say I just finished The Disaster Artist!

Now a dog overlord has new orders so have to run again!

Falconer
Falconer

@IP, one of the more irritating aspects of combat was that I was often not able to get my ranged units in a spot to make an attack.

Which is, like, the foundation of my entire FE strategy: Offense with the ranged units, block with the melee units.

Also, grrr I am jealous of your PKMN exploits. Six months and I don’t have a Gyarados yet.

There’s two Pokestops that are just barely out of range of my office. Taunting me.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Alan:
You can still get ‘heirloom’ carrots in a lot of places these days, which will often be off-white or purple in colour.

I seem to recall the modern orange carrot was created by deliberately breeding a set of orange mutants that showed up to create a strain that bred true. Breeding done by the Dutch, whose royal family had orange as their colour.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Falconer

It can still be done, but requires an entirely different approach to strategy because of the mini-map.

Gothenburg has a lot of Magikarps! There’s water everywhere in this city, especially downtown. Karps all over. I have 400+ candies right now, just waiting for a worthy Karp.

The only downside to these near-eternal gym inhabitants is I haven’t been able to use my 4 best pokemon in battle for the last week, and I haven’t been able to power them up either.

I just got the PokeGo update, by the way! Genders and new interface, but seemingly no gen II pokes so far. I’ve checked an online map of the city and there’s nothing. I wonder what’s up with that.

Falconer
Falconer

@IP

We bought our kids pedal bikes (with the training wheels) at the end of January. A is uncomfortable on his, but S took to hers like a Squirtle to water.

So we were out biking on the path down by the lake/river thing in town, and there’s one pokestop along the way we usually go, on a pavilion.

I thought I was pretty lucky when two Magikarp popped up right by that Pokestop. I managed to catch both of them.

Then a couple in their 40s came by and the woman pointed at the ground and told her husband, “There’s two Magikarp right here!”

So that was cute.

A promises he’ll get on his pedal bike when he’s four, which is this Saturday.

EDIT: I was just checking my Pokedex to see if the new ones had been added, and it looks like I saw but failed to catch a Gyarados. That’s probably my best bet for one — catch it rather than evolve it.

AngrySince11/09/2016
AngrySince11/09/2016

Was a laid back awesom day with my SO, but then it usually is everyday. We have been married for 22 years and I wouldn’t trade my spouse for all the wealth in the world. MGTOWs are sad in a way, though the choice to be single for some people can be joyful.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Urgh, guysssss

a friend I’ve had for like two decades now has been sliding into right wing town (as I’ve said in a few other places so far) and it’s just killin’ me. He tells me that he watches Rebel Media (Fox News North, basically) but, ‘to balance it out’ he watches The Young Turks. I’ve known this awhile and have actually watched a little Rebel Media just to see if I was horribly miscalibrated or something, but it’s still the most horrible, misleading garbage.

So politics came up in a conversation just now (group text chat convo) and I asked him to point me to what he considers a good Rebel video, ’cause everything I’ve found so far is misleading garbage. His reply is that “Both TYT and Rebel are pretty biased. I prefer watching videos from Sargon of Akkad, because he’s a moderate leftist that blasts both the left and the right.”

I can’t take this, guyse. I can’t deal. I’m surrounded by this shit.

Sorry for venting. Ain’t much to do about the situation.

Falconer
Falconer

@Scildfreja, all the hugs.

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)
EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

Hugs, Scildfreja. You’re among friends and may vent as much as you please.

Of all the disingenuous positions that Carl Benjamin has taken, this is perhaps the most puzzling. Does he know what “lefty” means? Is he familiar with the positions of his fellows? Is he attempting to shift the Overton window through simple mislabelling? Or is he simply too arrogant to care?

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Scild
You hahe my sympathies. That is just pure ugh.
@EJ
The answer is “yes.”

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

The last one, I’m willing to say. He’s Left, because Left is the position that cares about people’s welfare, and he’s a nice guy. But he cares about being right way more than he cares about other human beings. So I’m gonna go with that.

dlouwe
dlouwe

@Scildfreja

Ugh, you have my sympathies. I recently had someone cite Sargon as a “rational, independent thinker,” but it was a friend-of-a-friend thing, and I can only imagine what it’d be like hearing that come from a long-time friend.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ jenora

You can still get ‘heirloom’ carrots in a lot of places these days

We’ve got a few trendy farmers market type things and they sell just about every colour carrot imaginable. Weirdly the purple ones are still orange inside. They assure me they’re not just painted though. I do sometimes buy the posh ‘bugs bunny’ style carrots when I have certain guests, but for regular cooking I just use horse carrots cos they’re like literally three quid per hundredweight.

(horse carrots are the same as people carrots, just not as aesthetically pleasing supposedly)

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Alan:
I’ve seen purple ones that are practically white inside, and ones that are nearly white all the way through. A friend usually gets a bag of them when we come over to watch anime, because carrots are a lot healthier than chips (or crisps to use the more English terminology). Not that we don’t have chips as well, he just likes variety.

Honestly, I expect the only difference between horse carrots and people carrots is that for ‘people carrots’ they throw out some of the more twisted ones and strip off the various branch roots.

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

@Scildfreja

IDK if this will work but maybe pointing out that getting things from Sargon, Rebel and Turks is pretty much getting news and opinions from talk radio. Wouldn’t it make more sense to try to get actual news from non-show sources to form your own opinion on things rather than listen to someone else’s?

Not that written media can’t be any less bias but at the very least they have to quote people and put down sources and studies* which can be read instead of just claiming things are happening and that’s bad or good. He’s should be smarter than just letting someone’s opinion rule over him instead of making his own.

There’s also the fact that talk shows often sensationalize things and with internet shows like Sargon, they talk about things that only matter to them, which may be things that may not actually matter to the world at large, and does he think that some of these pettier problems the shows may bring up really matter?**

*I’ve heard that Sargon is really bad at linking to actual sources and reading data and what I mean by heard is that I saw an H.Bomberguy video about it which was really funny.

**Also isn’t Sargon that dude that’s so bad with on the fly debating he had to go back in post and call a dude the r-word a lot because his ego is so fragile? Maybe instead of petty insults you should work on your debating skills.

zesty
zesty

regarding mobile games: I’ve been playing Tales Of Link for a while now…anyone else?

Laugher at Bigots
Laugher at Bigots

That was actually Thunderf00t. These whiners about women tend to run together, don’t they?