empathy deficit men who should not ever be with women ever MGTOW misogyny

Men Going Their Own Way declare war on flowers, flower recipients

Bummer, dude

Today’s POST-VALENTINE’S DAY 50% OFF SALE ON BELATED VALENTINE’S DAY POSTS continues with a little peek into the Men Going Their Own Way subreddit, where the locals have declared war on flowers, men who give women flowers, and of course the women who have flowers given to them.

In the waning hours of Valentine’s Day, a MGTOW calling himself davisyoung posted a photo of a man buying flowers at a supermarket — traditionally the most romantic place to buy last-minute Valentine’s day flowers because you forgot it was Valentine’s day.

“Suckers!!!!!” davisyoung crowed. “And Happy Int’l MGTOW Day to everyone.”

International MGTOW Day is the alternate holiday that MGTOWs celebrate every Valentine’s day. Traditional International MGTOW Day activities include posting bitter misogynistic tirades on Reddit, posting bitter misogynistic tirades on places other than Reddit, and muttering bitter misogynistic tirades under one’s breath.

Naturally, the MGTOW subreddit regulars were happy to share their holiday spirit.

Someone called dot_dot_beep won dozens of upvotes for this lovely sentiment:

Women and consumerism are complementary parasites on the backs of the beasts of burden that are men. Look at those simps–psychologically broken there hoping some flowers will gain their master’s approval.

Andreas-mgtow agreed, declaring that these pathetic flower-buying men only “do it [so as] not to elicit the wrath of their live-in she monsters.”

Really? My live-in she-monsters prefer catnip, or even just a fresh can of cat food. (Note for extremely literal-minded readers: That’s because they are cats. That’s the joke. Not because I live with a group of women who demand I feed them Friskies.)

TheCommentMutilator offered a little field report:

This year was my first in 17 years of not going through these motions. Went to the grocery this evening to grab some things for dinner and it felt so good to not have to search for the obligatory Valentine’s Day gift.

No ring on my finger, no chocolates or flowers in the cart. Just me and my steaks and vegetables. The vacant, hollow eyes that gazed at my cart bolstered my pride in being a single man on this day.

The “vacant, hollow eyes that gazed at your cart?!” Where the hell are you shopping anyway?

I’ve never been a big fan of Valentine’s day myself, but jeez guys, get a fucking grip.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

I just now worked at a grocery store on St Valentine’s Day. Literally nobody cares whether or not you have flowers or chocolates in your cart. Literally nobody. MGTOW: so far from their own way they can’t even shop for food without overclocking their complexes

Side note: I really like sunflowers and sad sunflower makes me sad…

But it’s also hilarious…

Hartwick
Hartwick

I bought my wife flowers for Valentine’s Day. She was happy. She made me a delicious Valentine’s Day dinner. I was happy. How is this troubling to anyone?

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Hartwick
You and your SO being happy is the problem for them.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Axe,

Yeah, they think that because they obsessively judge everyone, everyone must be doing it to them. It does not occur to them that other people can go through the day without deciding that every little thing they see is a sign that western civilization is collapsing.

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera

@WWTH

It’s like they have to constantly reaffirm their beliefs to themselves or else…what, exactly? They’ll melt?

Hartwick
Hartwick

@Oogly. Yeah, I know.

I was asking rhetorically because I simply don’t understand the mindset of people who publicly dedicate themselves to self-improvement and self-sufficiency, yet get so worked up about other people’s lives.

Mine MGTOW doth protest too much, I guess

Judas Peckerwood
Judas Peckerwood

International MGTOW Day = No woman is willing to spend even five minutes in the same room with me, on this or any other day

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Speaking seriously for a moment, these MGTOW dudes show all the sighs of extremely high anxiety. It’s not surprising, honestly – our society generates anxiety better’n it does carbon emissions – but the constant hammering of their fear response couldn’t be more apparent. These guys are mortified, and have just learned to express it as anger. Which only makes it worse, of course.

Speaking less seriously, lol, holy shit, dudes. dial back the holier-than-thou bullshit a notch, would ya? No one gives a hot damn, or a cold one, whether you buy flowers on a manufactured, commercial holiday. The only one judging you is yourself. Which is why you feel like that judgement is omnipresent. The call is coming from inside the house, assholes.

Edit: Thank you so much for this string of Valentines’ day posts, David. Just what the doctor ordered. Best Valentines’ Day gift I could ask for, ya sweetie <3

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

DAVID. WHERE IS MY CATNIP?

(((VioletBeauregarde))): Crooked Nasty Social Justice Necromancer
(((VioletBeauregarde))): Crooked Nasty Social Justice Necromancer

@Iseult: That comment wins the thread!

Also (re: the OP): Parasites, live-in she-monsters? Katie on a cracker! Talk about the radical notion that women are people!

That said I’ve got a band name and album name:
The Live-in She-Monsters present their hit album Complementary Parasites

Paradoxical Intention: Resident Cheeseburger Slut

I worked at a pizza place yesterday. I had a few couples come in for a lunch or something, and one woman called to see if we sold heart-shaped pizzas (I asked my coworker about it, and he said that they used to a few years back, but since they hand-make all of their whole pizzas to order and they didn’t have many people order them, it’s a pain in the ass they never wanted to really do again).

I do have to admit, I do get a little depressed around this holiday. In previous years it was because I was alone and seeing so many other people happy and in love made me a bit envious of them. This year, it was mostly because Jackie is all the way on the Pacific coast and I had to see so many other people happy and in love and with their SOs.

But, Jackie brought my spirits up by sending me silly little valentines, and I did the same for them. I was a bit sad, but also roommates are going to get some half-priced (and employee discounted) chocolates today, and they said I could have some too, so yay!

We literally spent zero dollars on one another this year. Hell, I didn’t even pay for any of my food yesterday because I skipped breakfast (I can’t eat for a few hours after I get up or else I just get violently ill) and my pizza job gives me two (HUGE) slices of pizza for free for my lunch break if I want them. I ate one, took the other home and had it for dinner. (NY style pepperoni, with oregano and parmesan, and a side of made in-house ranch dressing for the crusts. So good.)

And today, my Internship has leftover food from a meeting they had yesterday, so I got free bacon and donuts to go with my homemade mac n cheese. Score!

Hu's On First
Hu's On First

In other news: Puzder has withdrawn. There were already 4-12 GOP no votes, making it impossible to confirm him.

lkeke35
lkeke35

Oh, wow! How bitter do you have to be to see EVERYTHING in the world as a slight against you? Or be angry at any form of other people’s happiness? Flowers! Really?

These people really can’t see ANY kind of relationship dynamic outside of one where someone is either dominant or submissive.

I don’t understand this mindset at all. When I get grumpy and start thinking bad thoughts about total strangers, I know I’m being out of bounds. I take myself off somewhere, figure out why I’m upset, have a snack and a nap, until I’ve calmed down, and then I’m okay.

What kind of life do you have where even people being happy is antagonizing to you?

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

Envy is a toxin that affects higher brain functions.

As that well-known bitter man Jim Morrison put it:

People are strange when you’re a stranger
Faces look ugly when you’re alone
Women seem wicked when you’re unwanted
Streets are uneven when you’re down

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Not to sound like a bitter asshole, but one Valentine’s Day is already far more than enough, do we really need overtime on the 15th ?

Okay, joke aside. DUDES, I don’t even know why you care about Valentine’s Day. Aren’t you supposed to not give a fuck about romantic and/or sexual relationships ?

No, don’t answer that question.

ScarlettAthena
ScarlettAthena

I always find it fascinating that people can look at random strangers and *just know* everything about their lives.

I mean, there are days that are just terrible, horrible, no good days, and you still have errands to run or something. Maybe the hollow eyes are because that person was tired or just lost a contract or a customer or got yelled at by a boss/manager or in terrible traffic.

It is too easy to project whatever you want onto others.

As for the old Valentine’s Day, my husband gives me the same card every year. It is literally the same card he bought and signed something like 10 years ago. He keeps it in a sock drawer with other cards he keeps for those occasions. He gets it out every year and hides it.

Then we had dinner with friends. I had bought chocolates for everybody, including the waitstaff. Valentines day love can be spread around, ya know.

Her Grace Phryne (brave, not strong)
Her Grace Phryne (brave, not strong)

I’m not a big fan of Valentine’s Day, but I don’t think that should affect other people. I mean, I guess it’s too much to ask for them to *communicate* with their partners about this being an issue (assuming partners are a thing, which may be a faulty assumption).

I really don’t get thinking like this. “I don’t like it so nobody else should and I’m going judge people for it if they do.” When does that get fun?

Chayanov
Chayanov

Traditional International MGTOW Day activities include posting bitter misogynistic tirades on Reddit, posting bitter misogynistic tirades on places other than Reddit, and muttering bitter misogynistic tirades under one’s breath.

So, a regular Tuesday for them.

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy

Next up: Bees declare war on MGTOWS in retaliation.

dlouwe
dlouwe

Um, my partner was straight up like “Hey don’t get flowers.” Because she thinks the floral industry is kinda awful and isn’t really all that down with rampant consumerism. But she’s been having a pretty sad time lately so I got her some knee-high socks with seals wearing bowties on them, and a little metal “pocket box” that says “World’s Best Bitch” on it, and it brightened her day. And that’s something worth doing any day.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Do you not have filling stations in the US?

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

Socks are so much better than cut flowers. And who DOESN’T want to be the world’s best bitch?

@Alan – had you not heard? We get our gasoline delivered, because we’re spoiled.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Mr. Parasol and I don’t really exchange cards as much as we used to, but we had a special smoochies moment where we wished each other a Happy Valentine’s Day. No special dinner, but we usually can’t do that on a work day anyhow thanks to schedules. We’re more into special dinners for anniversaries and birthdays – without telling the waitstaff, I might add, ‘cos we don’t want a public fuss.

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)
EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

My partner and I had a cute day sending our favourite Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal strips back and forth to one another. In the evening we made a superb vegan soup, then curled up and watched a film. It was fun.

Hambeast (fan of diversity)
Hambeast (fan of diversity)

I love flowers. Husbeast isn’t a flower guy (he’s an enthusiastic card-giver, though) so I buy myself flowers when the mood hits. No tantrums, no recriminations, no fuss, no muss.

Trader Joe’s has wonderful bouquets for reasonable prices but my favorite treat tends to be when they have bunches of daffodils or irises in buckets at the checkouts.

Valentine’s Day is pretty bogus, though, if you don’t have a SO around. A ‘holiday’ that makes lots of people feel bad for not having an ideal relationship isn’t a great thing, IMO. We’ve all been there, so why do we keep it going?

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

Valentine’s Day is alright. You make (purposefully) shitty Valentines for your buds and bake some shit for people to enjoy and buy all sorts of cool cookies, chocolate and strawberry/cherry/raspberry flavored crap at stores. S’alright.

There’s more to love than just romantic love, and while I’m not a fan of holidays which make such a big deal about giving stuff to people on this specific day (ooooh capitalism), it’s at least a day that you can celebrate all sorts of love–platonic, romantic, familial–by just eating a shit ton of candy with people you like to hang with and be happy that you know cool peeps.

I mean, it ain’t no Halloween, but at least it isn’t fucking Christmas.

Hambeast (fan of diversity)
Hambeast (fan of diversity)

Lots of new comments since I made mine.

Scarlett Athena said

l love this idea! Make it more like elementary school and appreciate everyone in your life.

dlouwe – I googled Trader Joe’s flowers and caught an article (from The Oregonian in 2015) that said TJ’s and Costco get their flowers from Columbian growers that provide free childcare for their workers. The cost is subsidized by the grower and the government.

ETA: Handsome Jack: I mean, it ain’t no Halloween, but at least it isn’t fucking Christmas.

Hear, hear! (can’t seem to do the lazy quote thing in edit)

dlouwe
dlouwe

@Hambeast

That’s good to know if I ever do need to get some flowers – we don’t have any TJ’s around here, but there is a Costco.

Youall got me so excited for Cheap Chocolate Day that I actually made a special trip to my favourite discount store, which had had loads of leftover Xmas stuff…and they had zero Valentine’s chocolate. So disappointing. They already had Easter chocolate out–which was not on sale.

JS
JS

TW: plant genital removal, and flowers.

I would like to apologize for the following, which I believe I learned from a wonderfully weird science fiction novel…

“Forcibly removed vegetable hermaphrodite genitalia” AKA “Flower”

Oh, and now for my rant on flowers:

There’s some serious oddness about the flower industry. Floral roses can’t reproduce because we decided almost every part of the flower must be a petal. Diseased tulips were once considered more beautiful than the “regular” ones. Every standard yellow banana is a clone (no seeds, see?). Plant an apple seed from any variety of apple, and you get a tree with a different tasting apple. Production tulips get mown down to make sure the flower bud in the bulb gets more energy to build on for when they bloom them for sale. Poinsettias have to be treated to particular (and cold) temperatures so they bloom properly.

Anyone complaining about GMO foods, should consider also complaining about what we put the poor flowers through, just so we have something pretty to look at. If they were animals, we’d have PETA up in arms about almost every commonly sold flower.

Oh, and “Singles Awareness Day” should be a thing.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

I think I’m gonna cry. I just found out by chance that my ex has just made a new fb account (friend just became friend with X, X being a pseudonym which I know has to be hers) and, well… the cover pic is a pic of Milo standing in front of a murican flag.

For fuck’s sake it’s only been a year and a half, how can a feminist and antiracist fall so fucking low in such a short time ?

But hey, Fate was kind to me, making me learn about it the day after Valentine’s Day.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Me and Dali said nice things about each other in between her super long workday, my extra short workday, rather disparate timezones, and lotsa sleep. And I helped her a little bit to pay for something she was gonna buy anyway. Not specifically Valentine’s shit. If that’s gynocentrism, I can manage…

@WWTH

It’s exhausting me just thinking about it

@John
*hugs, hugs, hugs*

tim gueguen

Betcha dot_dot_beep doesn’t think spending money on stuff he’s really into is consumerism. A woman wants to buy a bunch of shoes? Consumerism! dot_dot_beep wants to buy a fancy 1/2 ton, or a bunch of guitars, or expensive fishing gear? Those are necessities.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@Sinkable John

If I could, I’d offer ya a hug or a reasonable equivalent. Also a joint.

And now I’m suddenly reminded of a weird dream I had where Milo or a close lookalike was in something that looked like my Dad’s house except with more antique wood, doing coke and offering me an elaborate glass bottle of codeine (or was it laudanum?), which I declined.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Tim Gueguen,

That would be the correct assumption. We once had a troll here that was saying women are shallow because they want their homes to have furniture but he was also going on about how much time he spends on video games. Spending money on something practical like a sofa or table is shallow but spending money on a hobby isn’t?

Not saying it’s shallow to spend your disposable income on gaming, just pointing out the hypocrisy.

He also told us he’d kill himself if he didn’t get rich enough to marry a hot 20 something trophy wife by the time he was 40 and complained about he had to dump his cool, smart and not shallow GF because she wasn’t hot enough to be arm candy. So yeah, he was full of the usual logic and consistency one expects from an MGTOW.

Gods, I wish I remembered what thread that was so I could read it again. It was comedy gold.

Hambeast (fan of diversity)
Hambeast (fan of diversity)

Sinkable John – so sorry about your ex. ETA: I’d offer you some edibles if I could, since I don’t like to smoke.

JS – Singles Awareness Day is apparently a thing. It has a Wikipedia entry and everything. It seems that some people don’t approve of this, either.

How about plain old Appreciation Day? Celebrate someone, or as many someones as you like. Shouldn’t be too hard to get American Greetings and Hallmark on board. I’d favor this taking the place of Valentine’s Day, though.

tim gueguen – there’s a Chevy (I think) commercial where a guy gets down on his knees and kisses the bumper of a big-ass pickup truck and growls “Come home with me!” I actually feel embarrassed for him because it’s one of those commercials with ‘real people’ instead of actors and this is what the world is seeing of him. Yikes.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

@Axe, Troubelle, Hambeast

Thanksies

Thankfully I already happen to have the joint in my hand right now. Actually, two of them.

Lucky for me, I was just about done rolling them (’tis the sleeping ritual, roll two big ones, take as long as needed to smoke them and enjoy what’s left of the evening, then hit the hay) when I saw it but now I think I might have to roll more.

This has gotta be one of those cases where ignorance is indeed much better than knowing, and the worst part is I saw it by the sheerest fucking dumb bad luck. Computer froze for a second, I misclicked on the “friend became friends with” link, saw the Milo cover pic and went eww, how the hell did I get here, and then saw the pseudonym.

… when I first met her she was a 17 yr old who’d been bible-thumped her whole life and swallowed it whole (despite being pansexual). Two years and a half of heated disagreements about the usual things that her kind of person and mine would disagree on, she’d entirely shed that skin and learned to accept and embrace herself and others. After we broke up I looked back and figured that at least I’d done a good thing for the first and only time in my life.

And then it’s gone in even less time than it took to do. The fuck happened to you, America, that you had to do that to her.

@Troubelle

About that dream, err… I’ve had the same one. If you figure out how to bleach that one out of your memory, you gotta tell me how. I’ll tell you if I come up with anything (I can already tell you, smoke don’t help with that).

Fabe
Fabe

I’m 40 and been single all my life but I’m thankful I’m not as bitter and hate filled as these guys. I’m sure any lurking trolls reading this are laughing at me and calling me a beta cuck or some other nonsense but I don’t care,at least I’m not blaming the entire universe for my situation.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

I’m experimenting with “going all out” on a homophobe on a facebook debate group am part of. Would screenshots be anything anyone might be interested in? I’ll find a worthy LGBT related thread to bump with it if anyone is interested.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

@Brony

I’m interested in seeing that, and not just ’cause I need the schadenfreude right now, heh.

CleverForAGirl
CleverForAGirl

Based on that image we had friends over to eat fun size candy and watch horror movies projected against the fence. Can’t say I felt the urge to rant about our friends that had dates and flowers and such. . .

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

@Brony: I’m becoming less convinced about the utility of “internet debate”, as it seems to play directly to the behaviours of the very worst sort of people. If you enjoy it, though, by all means do it.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

@EJ
I fully agree. That’s why any debate is directed at potential audiences and I’m enjoying pointing out the deficits in behavior and reasoning ability. It’s a teaching moment and a guilty pleasure.

I can think of a lot of reasons why that might be unwelcome to some so I decided to ask everyone first. I can do things like linking and not letting it post the actual image or other things. This person is a nasty piece of work.

(((VioletBeauregarde))): Crooked Nasty Social Justice Necromancer
(((VioletBeauregarde))): Crooked Nasty Social Justice Necromancer

@Ikeke:

Not a life at all, just a hollow existence. I feel the strangest mixture of pity and disgust for people like that. Instead of seeking and finding ways to build themselves up, they seek and find ways to tear others (and themselves) down.

@John: Holy shit! My condolences! *hugs/hug alternatives*

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@John, <3. That's terrible. I'm sort of discovering that sort of stuff about a few close friends right now, so I totally sympathize.

You still did a good thing. Don't forget that.

@PI,

(I can’t eat for a few hours after I get up or else I just get violently ill)

Sleep brings along a whole host of stress hormones; that shuts down your digestive system and makes you feel nauseous. Coffee/caffeine will make this worse, as it also reinforces the production of the same response. Needless to say, anxiety or stress will make this issue worse, but it’s often just poor sleeping habits that are disrupting your circadian rhythm.

Eating something may actually help your body realize that it’s wakey-wakey time. Toast, fruit (I think watermelon is a good choice), and light, non-sugary pastries can be a good choice. Just a little bit of something non-greasy and light encourages production of MAO-A, which is a metabolic agent that’s part of digestion – and it also breaks down adrenaline, serotonin, etc. So jamming some calories down the face-hole and getting your digestion system going, even if you’re nauseous, can actually help wake you up and reduce the feelings of nausea (As well as being a good de-stresser if you wake up anxious)

Sorry if this is pedantic! I don’t mean it to be. I actually suffer the same thing, often, and I’m pretty terrible for not eating breakfast. Bad at taking my own advice!

LeftWingFox
LeftWingFox

Ugh, watching people you care (or once cared) about journey into the asshole empires always rough. My condolences.

I had a few rough days leading up to VD, but decided to go see The Lego Batman Movie that night. Had a good time. 🙂

Nequam
Nequam

One Valentine’s Day my husband and I were walking about town and saw a huge line in front of a florist’s kiosk. All men. I’m sorry to say we laughed loudly enough to earn a score of dirty looks, but it’s not often you see a bad romcom sight gag brought to life.

As for flowers? Only once have I got them from my husband, but it was still grand– 13 (artificial) black roses, picked up the day after Halloween. (The clerk was apparently puzzled by this being a romantic gesture). For us, the 14th is Cheap Chocolate Eve, if anything, and we just let the day play out as it well. A day off because it coincides with my husband’s day off? Great! If not? Something else, maybe…

Anne Lewis, Jib Creatr
Anne Lewis, Jib Creatr

@Sinkable John: Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Zephkiel - Feminist MGTOW
Zephkiel - Feminist MGTOW

I bought myself ice cream for Valentines day. Actually I bought myself ice cream because I wanted an ice cream, and it happened to be Valentines day.

I did get a Valentine though! My friend’s seven year old made me the most lovely card, using approximately two tons of glitter.

LindsayIrene

Last night, I finally got around the watching ‘The Room.’ Yes, it totally lived up to its reputation of Ed Woodian-level ineptitude. But I noticed something else. Tommy Wiseau has made a movie for MGTOWs!

Tommy plays Johnny, a total beta. He can’t get a promotion at work, and he totally dotes on his girlfriend, whom he has been supporting for years, since she is unable to make a living on her own. He’s such a beta, he buys her flowers! In a flower shop!

His fiancee, Lisa, is an evil woman. Johnny is such a generous soul that he takes in an orphan, but she still accuses him of beating her, lies to him about being pregnant, and then has sex with his best friend, who is a total Chad Thundercock.

Johnny is so overtaken by beta feels that he kills himself. But–HA!!– literally over Johnny’s dead body, Chad rejects Lisa. The evil woman is sorry!

The movie has such a warped view of women, I wouldn’t be surprised if Tommy Wiseau actually haunted MGTOW message boards.

1 2 3 4