#ResistTrump actual activism racism transphobia trump

#ResistTrump today by standing up for trans students and immigrants

Jeff Sessions: Kind of a dick

Just a quick #ResistTrump post today. There’s a lot going on. Here are two important developments that we need to respond to.

First: Jeff Sessions has started off his new job as Attorney General with an attempt to undermine legal protections of trans students.

What he did is a bit complicated to explain; see here and here for details. But Sessions’ intention is clear, and the effects of his move will be felt immediately. Here’s the Human Rights Campaign statement on the issue:

Tonight, HRC responded to the Trump Administration’s decision to withdraw a request to halt an order against the Obama administration’s protections for transgender students. This action will effectively continue to halt the protections nationwide.

“After being on the job for less than 48 hours, Attorney General Jeff Sessions has signaled his intent to undermine the equal dignity of transgender students,” said HRC President Chad Griffin. “Transgender students are entitled to the full protection of the United States Constitution and our federal nondiscrimination laws. It is heartbreaking and wrong that the agency tasked with enforcing civil rights laws would instead work to subvert them for political interests. President Trump must immediately reverse course and direct the DOJ to uphold guidance protecting transgender students. “

If you want to help, consider supporting HRC or The Trevor Project, which offers crisis intervention/suicide prevention services for LGBTQ youth and twentysomethings.

And if you know of other good organizations to support, please email me or post them in the comments below.

Second: The Trump regime has launched a wave of deportations — and has triggered protests across the country against these deportations.

See here and here for more details and a rundown of some of the protests that have happened so far.

And here are some protests taking place tomorrow, courtesy of the RESISTABLE newsletter:

Sunday, February 12
11AM ETJewish Community Action for Refugees, Manhattan, NY
10AM PTWorker and Immigrant Solidarity March, Burlington, WA
3:30 CTChicago Moons Trump Tower, Chicago, IL
4PM MTNO WALLS PROTEST: Holding hands in unity, International Border U.S. El Paso, Tx / Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua Mexico

If you know of other protests or good groups to check out, please email me or post them in the comments below.

MrsObedMarsh
MrsObedMarsh

Godammit, this is the kind of thing I was afraid of.

ScarlettAthena
ScarlettAthena

On a slightly different note, any readers live in South Dakota?

“South Dakota state Rep. Wayne H Steinhauer [R-9]… was part of a group of eight male, GOP reps who killed a bill that would have guaranteed workplace accommodations to pregnant South Dakotans. During the hearing, Rep Steinhauer told women “It’s not prison. You can quit.””

“The law — which parallels legislation in 18 states and DC — would have required employers to provide pregnant workers with water, a stool to sit on, and bathroom breaks.”

butheremails.jaypeegee

I guess I have some donations to make. Resist!

@Scarlett
Remember, most Republicans don’t actively want to hurt people. It’s wrong to group them with the fascists in the White House, cos… That is… But, like… Cos reasons, OK?

A cup of water, a cheap stool, and a minute to pee. Fuckers 😠

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy

These fuckers don’t waste any time, do they?

Ooglyboggles

@Makroth – Agent of the Great Degeneracy
When it comes to making a theocratic state for the rich white man they go forth with haste. At this point the GOP thinks this is prime time to start zerg rushing their plans for making non WASPS into third class citizens.

Falconer
Falconer

Well, I was going to stop my monthly donation to HRC and send it plus $10 to the ACLU, but maybe I should leave it be and just give $10 to the ACLU every month.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

First they came for….pretty much everyone, all at once. Fascism moves more quickly than people think.

@Scarlett – Wow. That is so pointlessly cruel. They really, really hate women, don’t they?

I’d like to see the bill get reintroduced, only this time reworded to require employers to provide water and rest for the unborn fetuses inside pregnant women. Then watch the Republican’s heads explode. They’re pro-life, but only to the extent that they can use it to control and punish women.

epitome of incomprehensibility

Ha! That would be interesting, at least.

I gave a bit of money to the Trevor Project. I didn’t fill out all those details they were asking for in the form, but I hope the funds do some good.

Faerie Bard
Faerie Bard

So it’s a woman’s fault if she can’t afford to quit her job if her employer is a scumbag who won’t let her pee or have a damn glass of water or rest her swollen feet? Where have I heard this sort of blame redirection before? *scratches head*

authorialAlchemy
authorialAlchemy

Please don’t support HRC. They are too capitalistic and support war in the middle east. There are better organizations to donate to. They have also thrown trans people under the bus in the past and continue to not provide enough support for trans people.

I’m really glad I’m almost done with college. But then, I’ll be vulnerable in the workplace if I come out. :/

@authorialAlchemy

Well, fuck. And I was very much considering donating (I have other orgs I’ve been waiting to support 1st). Tho… Might I ask for a link or summat cataloging this bus throwing? Don’t doubt what you’re saying in the slightest. I’d just like to know what exactly was done. Thanks in advance 🙂

Ooglyboggles

@Axe

Transgender and undocumented activists claim they were told to lower their flags and keep quiet at the March rally supporting same-sex marriage before the Supreme Court.

Despite years of objection by health advocates for the trans-community, the HRC continues to omit medically necessary transition care as a requirement for a perfect 100% CEI score. Employees who suffer distress with their physical sex characteristics or ascribed gender role (often termed gender dysphoria) are singled out by many employers for exclusion from coverage for corrective procedures that are not excluded for other employees. By rewarding these employers with 100% scores, the HRC perpetuates this discrimination.
Read more at http://www.bilerico.com/2009/02/hrc_throws_trans_health_equity_under_the.php#MqcxgKVTEL5CJEEf.99

Having a homogenized leadership staff of mainly gay white males.
You can go over it if you want.

@Oogly

Having a homogenized leadership staff of mainly gay white males

And there it is. Thanks, buddy. I’ll read thru the links. But yeah, fuck em. Trevor Project it is!

Dalillama : Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles.
Dalillama : Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles.

@Buttercup

They really, really hate women, don’t they?

Among others, yes.

Ooglyboggles

@Axe
No problem mate. Here’s to hoping Trevor Project continues to do good. On another subject of how low can someone go.

“Well Jeff Sessions is a horrible POS but that doesn’t mean he hates his own kin right-”

Jeff Sessions, Who Has An Asian Granddaughter, Praised Era When Asians Were Banned From U.S.

But one reason that Sessions’ Asian granddaughter was in the spotlight was because her grandfather has expressed admiration for racist immigration policies ― specifically those that targeted Asians. The Atlantic noted on Tuesday that the senator had once favorably cited a 1924 law that barred Asian immigration entirely.

During an October 2015 radio interview with Breitbart News, Sessions said:

In seven years, we’ll have the highest percentage of Americans, non-native born, since the founding of the Republic. Some people think we’ve always had these numbers, and it’s not so. It’s very unusual, it’s a radical change. When the numbers reached about this high in 1924, the president and congress changed the policy, and it slowed down immigration significantly, we then assimilated through the 1965 and created really the solid middle class of America, with assimilated immigrants, and it was good for America.

Is there no fucking bottom to the sludge barrel that is this person? Chalk this up as another example of how “one of the good ones” mentality facilitates unbounded cognitive dissonance.

Jesalin
Jesalin

At this point I just take it as read that LGBT groups (especially the larger ones) are primarily interested in the G, somewhat interested in the L, barely interested in the B and utterly uninterested in (and all too often Anti-)T.

Cerberus
Cerberus

The stripping of Title IX protections has been expected, but still hits like a brick. This is going to give the green light to a lot of campuses to increase harassment of trans kids by the administration and otherwise deny equal accommodation. And it’s going to increase the already too high suicide rate among trans youth.

So, the Trans Lifeline and the Transgender Law Center should be the focus of support. Especially as both the Trevor Project and HRC have left the trans populations out in the cold before (though of the two, the Trevor Project has been a lot better and is still a very valuable thing to support).

Also queer youth homeless housing programs like Lark-Inn or Ali Forney.

@Cerberus

Well, fuck again. What did Trevor do?

Lysistrata
Lysistrata

Surprisingly often anti-B, too.

Jesalin
Jesalin

True, sadly bi-erasure is still a thing.

Weird (Don't Mourn, ORGANIZE!!) Eddie
Weird (Don't Mourn, ORGANIZE!!) Eddie

re: LGBT abandoning its own; too often when one disenfranchised group in a social movement gains a bit of acceptance from the oppressors, this happens. Stonewall (and Comptons Cafeteria and Coopers Donuts before that) was first and almost exclusively a trans women uprising, but the Stonewall Memorial has statues that (to my eyes) do not look like they were meant to represent trans women.

Ooglyboggles

@Axe
I’m having a bit of trouble finding material compared to HRC. The most damning thing about them is this:
Note how the date is “2016.” One comment claims that they often necglect the “T” of LGBT but I can’t seem to find an article about a singlebad thing Trevor project did.

Jesalin
Jesalin

I read the comments on the linked article and that last one left me with a strong urge to punch my monitor.

Cerberus
Cerberus

Ooglyboogles –

“Recently changes in the Healthcare plan were done poorly. Although Trevor is an LGBTQ organization, the healthcare plan disregarded the Trans issues. Staff who are trans were no longer able to get the medical treatment and benefits they received from the previous plan (another bad HR move) because Trevor saw it more beneficial to save a couple dimes than look out for their staff.”

And some of their staff are poorly trained on how to respond to non-binary suicidal folks and I’ve had to do intervention after a bad call.

Again, not really deal-breakers and I’ll still refer a trans kid to Trevor Project first because they have much better 24/7 coverage and overall, they’re a lot more responsive to fuck-ups than the HRC which have a bad cycle of fucking over trans folks and then belatedly apologizing before fucking up again.

Ooglyboggles

@Cerberus
Thank you for that information. That’s a relief to hear.

On a side note it’s “boggles”, not “boogles.”

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

Re: Bias and gay, white, male bigots. I try to include intergroup bigotry in my functional definitions (most useful to current situation) of bigotry. The tension within LGBT groups and between radical feminism and trans people have informed it as much as race, sex and LG.

I think of it as a weaponized definition that I refuse to abstain from using with other aggressive white male-types. They often get very intense when I use this definition. Intersectional-izing is a thing. Oddly I think it’s a a benefit of white privilige. I own the cultural bigot software and it was installed as I grew and matured. I can introspect it’s nature and make cultural weapons (know myself and my culture and know the ways of bigots).
Bigotry : irrational* dislike of a person from an out-group [X]resulting in irrational beliefs, thoughts, actions, and communications.
Common bigoted phenomena are irrational prejudice and irrational discrimination (“prejudice” and “discrimination” are political contractions** that increase speed of use at the expense of accuracy).
Specific examples of bigotry require definitions suitable for social and individual use on bigots. So race gets it’s social factor to deal with the functional expression of racism. Similar for all the others because racism must delt with on the individual and social level. It must have effective language for intense communication with respect to individual, group and self.

*The focus on the irrational nature of bigotry allows strategy against the “Racism, sexism, etc… is all discrimination between or prejudice towards an out-group” people. To see racism, sexism, etc one must look for differences in how ourselves and others believe about, think about, act with respect towards, and communicate with people in an out-group.

You have to rationally look at race and race connected phenomena to discriminate between in research. You get to prejudge the reputation of bigots so you can prepaid for bigotry.

**”Tolerance” is another political shorthand because it meant “tolerance for other races, sexes…”. Including the irrationally intolerant in tolerance is strategically unwise so rallying to “tolerance” has limitations. Political use of “tolerance” has been adopted by the irrationally intolerant bigots.
“Spreading hate” is another. That metaphor tends to harm legitimate expression of hate. The danger in hate is applying it to a whole group of people, even if for rational and logical means. That makes a person a statistical asshole (so likely as to be certain of functionally expressing bigotry in an insulting and/or harmful manner). The trick to hate is to limit it to beliefs, thoughts, acts and communications.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

Third paragraph from the end should be “…prepare for bigotry.”

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

And I should have said that in-group membership is an advantage in functionally undermining bigotry from one’s group. White/male/man/straight/aggressive/ and more are relevant intersectional axes here.

Victoria
Victoria

And some of us aren’t sure if we’re we’re cis or not but feel like either way, some large faction of the LGTBQIA sphere is going to resent the fact I exist. I’ll experience anti-trans prejudice whether i identify as trans or not. If I don’t identify as trans people within LGTB spaces will see me as having “internalized transphobia” because I dress like a man, obviously it means I identify as one.

I don’t like this focus on either being exactly about cis gay people or exactly about trans people. some aren’t sure or could easily pass as either category. And the bigots don’t care what I identify as. They just see that I look different and react. Full stop.

Victoria
Victoria

I guess what I’m saying is that it hurts to not know what exactly your identity is in a world where you have to tell everyone exactly what you are so they can place you on the LGTBQ+ privilege scale or say that your identity doesn’t exist or that your existence is problematic

Sometimes I’m very intimidated by the queer/nonbinary/gay community and I don’t think I’d ever be truly welcome.

@Cerberus
Understood. Thank you. And sorry everyone for not looking this stuff up myself. Didn’t really have it in me to scour google. But I’m sure it was annoying, and it’s my job to educate myself. I’ll do my own due diligence in future 🙂

eli
eli

Well maybe Axe felt he had to apologize, but I appreciated all of the links and education today. So thank you everyone who posted anything. And thank you Axe for asking.

But what’s going on here? Where is everyone?

Grammys? Walking Dead? Where’d everyone go?

If you’re all out fighting injustice, nevermind.

Carter
Carter

It’s me again, I just wanted to let everyone know that @PDeciusMus went and deleted his twitter account. I managed to get a screenshot of him talking with Heartiste, but is there any way to access a deleted account? Google cache works for the main page, but I’d need access to the “tweets & replies” section.

authorialAlchemy
authorialAlchemy

Hey David, can you help people find local anti fascist groups, or would that require too much vetting to find active, well-organized, and politically diverse groups?

A good place to start is Food not Bombs. They do a lot of community food distribution work and feed protesters.

Antifa isn’t the only group, but they vary in methodology and general activity. Check out your local group if you have one, make sure you vibe with it and that they’re not the aimless riot types. You’re going to want to find people who are interested in counter protesting and non violent disruption. Look for mixed groups of anarchists, socialists and communists. If you’re none of those things and your’re just interested in fighting Trump, I think Antifa groups will become more open to moderates/liberals in the coming months/years.

occasional reader
occasional reader
Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

But what’s going on here? Where is everyone?

Can’t speak for anyone else, but I just haven’t had much to say lately.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

But what’s going on here? Where is everyone?

Uhh… I got a PS4 for my birthday and PokeBank dropped the same week, so… Yeah. Too many video games, not enough non-Trump threads.

lith
lith

@Jesalin:

In many ways I have an incredibly lazy approach to hating on things:

– Is it causing anyone problems (real ones)?
– If yes, could be something to hate, depends on details.
– If no, meh.

Where ‘meh’ means WTF are people getting riled up about, they should either show support or get out of the way.
I may not personally enjoy whatever it is but as long as I’m not being made to do it…
Seems a fairly robust policy, as things go.

What I’m trying to say is, I don’t get being pro-gay and anti-bi, or anti-trans.
I don’t understand how people can be aware of the negative shit that happens if you’re in one group, support that group but put the same negative shit on another group that’s got a lot of shared experience.

Dan
Dan

Feminist tears. I drink them. President Trump has feminists catching feels. LMFAO.

Christina Nordlander, Emperor's White Knight
Christina Nordlander, Emperor's White Knight

Fuck.

I’m not in the USA, but I really wish I could do something about the deportation raids.

Weird (Encouraged by the RESISTANCE!!!!) Eddie
Weird (Encouraged by the RESISTANCE!!!!) Eddie

@ occasional

Surfing for info on the new Netflik, I discovered this fro UK Independent….

Article is ok, but I’m waaayyyy happy to find the gem “broflake” which the author coined to satirize MAGA/MRA types!!

the comments section, mostly from broflakes, is great, I’ll summarize it here:

“waaaaaaaaaa!!!! MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!”

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

I’ve been building utopian communities in Prison Architect working.

Gussie Jives
Gussie Jives

Brony hit on something that I think a lot of us SocJus folks in general need to get to work on: refinement of language. I’ve never been one who thinks lining up words and firing them off will change a mind, but stories are powerful things that can slowly influence culture.

This medium article explaining how progressives are not the tolerant people we’re portrayed as because we don’t tolerate the hateful points of view is spot on in that respect and it points to a rhetorical issue that I think merits more serious discussion. In the same vein, I’ve seen the “intolerant left” memes making the rounds, and while the mocking memes are classic (like Red Skull getting a shield to the face lamenting “So much for the tolerant left!”), it speaks to a flaw in progressive/liberal thinking that we need to confront.

“Tolerance” was the SocJus branding against the intolerance of racists, sexists, homophobes etc. It was a handy shorthand that was broadly understood what the tolerance in question meant. What the right is very good at is branding their opponents and playing these rhetorical word games to paint themselves favourably. In response to the “pro-choice” argument, abortion opponents became “pro-life.” Masjid Nawaz’s very narrow term “regressive left” now means anybody who isn’t a free-speech absolutist. The Affordable Care Act became “Obamacare.” “SJW” has become shorthand for “shrill naysayer who can be safely disregarded” and on and on it goes.

Now “tolerance” has been deliberately misread to mean not merely begrudging acceptance of viewpoints privately held, but opposition to publicly held points of view that are demonstrably harmful to others. It’s all part of the effort to shift the Overton window further right.

If we’re always fighting with styles the opponents have chosen for us, progress will slow to a stop. But more than just styles, as the Pro Left podcast says (and I’m convinced of this), we win when we lead with our values. We just need language that makes our values plain in a few simple words.

Because while many edgelords seem to think their lack of values is a strength that keeps their “feels” at bay, it’s also their biggest rhetorical liability. If the only (I hesitate to say ‘concrete’, more a ‘plywood’) value they have is “free speech uber alles”, that value’s applicability gets put to the test in the face of a story of real people. A documentary about Matthew Sheppard I watched over the weekend provided a perfect example: Fred Phelps did picket his funeral and as much as I’m sure the internet edgelord of 20 years in the future would be eager to debate Phelps’ free speech rights, when the citizens of Laramie, Wyoming made it clear Phelps wasn’t welcome, he left. And the Matthew Sheppard story is an incredibly powerful symbol to this day.

The values are there. The language must be there too.

nparker
nparker

@ Dan

>Sigh.< The trolls don't even try anymore…

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ gussie jives

Apologies if I’m teaching you to suck eggs, but you might find Karl Popper an interesting jumping off point for a further exploration of the points you raise.

“Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them.”

(once again thanks to dalillama for the reminder)

Paradoxical Intention: Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Policy of Madness | February 13, 2017 at 5:08 am
Can’t speak for anyone else, but I just haven’t had much to say lately.

Same here, honestly. There’s only so many words to describe what’s going on in the USA.

And, to be honest, I know David’s doing his best, but I miss the non-Trump threads. I understand Trump’s a big deal right now and it’s slowly getting worse and worse, but I need to get away from it every once in a while.

Dan | February 13, 2017 at 6:57 am

You know whose tears I’m drinking? The tears of all the people who enthusiastically voted for Trump and are now regretting their votes for whatever reason. The salt is fucking delicious.

People who got their health care gutted because they believed the GOPs bullshit marketing scheme about “Obamacare” to the point where they thought the ACA and “Obamacare” were two seperate things.

People who got separated from their families thanks to his “It’s Not A Muslim Ban! (Except is totally is)” executive order because their loved ones were in those countries that Trump has banned solely because they’re mostly Muslim.

People who thought he was going to “drain the swamp!” but ended up hiring a bunch of predatory fucks from Goldman Sachs, including one who foreclosed on an elderly woman because of an error that amounted to 27 cents.

People who were so very pissed off that Hillary Clinton had an unsecured server full of emails (that actually didn’t have anything in them), but haven’t said a damn peep about Trump still using his unsecured Android phone.

Y’all made this bed, now you get to lie in it with us. Trumplethinskin wasn’t just going to fuck over all the people you didn’t like and leave your sorry asses be. You threw us under the bus to get that Mango Dick Tater in office for whatever reason you thought was good at the time, and now y’all gotta suffer just like the rest of us.

I normally don’t like to say “I told you so”, but in this case, I’ll make a huge exception.

In the meantime, we feminists and other Assorted Liberals will keep fighting for your health care, your freedom of protest, and your basic human rights. Because you deserve that much, despite the fact that you don’t think we liberals (and other people you don’t care for) do.

In the meantime, have an awesome protest sign:

comment image

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

I spent the weekend out and about! Didn’t have a lot of screen time, which was nice. I hope everyone had a lovely weekend.

@Paradoxy, that picture made me laugh. I feel like a close up of his face would be the best reaction pic ever 😀

@Dan, sweet fancy Moses. “Catching feels”? you sure got us, Dan. Feelin’ feelings, like a bunch of women. Unlike you hard-as-nails super-objective no-feelers.

Jesus Christ. The only people afraid of “catching feels” are teenagers trying to show their friends how tough they are. You’re just as transparent. Try to grow the fuck up.

PaganReader

Purring Kitten!

Dalillama, Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles
Dalillama, Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles

My work schedule has been sucking my energy for commenting lately.

@Dan

1st, racists shouldn’t say “catching feels”. 2nd, it’s feelings. 3rd… Is ‘desperate for attention’ not a feeling now? Cos I was pretty sure…