#ResistTrump abortion actual activism trump

#ResistTrump by looking at all the tasty resistance out there, mmmm good!

Still life with yelling Trump

If you’re feeling a bit discouraged by the confirmations of DeVos and Sessions, don’t be, because the massive wave of resistance to Trump that you and I are part of has accomplished several things that will ultimately be crucial to bringing Trump down. And we’ve accomplished these things less than three weeks into the Trump regime.

We’ve helped to push Congressional Democrats into a solid anti-Trump bloc. Democratic Senators stood together in voting against DeVos; only one Democratic Senator, West Virginia’s Joe Manchin, voted yes for Sessions — and I suspect he’s going to be getting a LOT of phone calls today, if not an office visit. (If you live in West Virginia, why not contact him yourself!)

We’ve alarmed Congressional Republicans, who’ve resorted to turning off their phones and sneaking out of town hall meetings through the back door. Literally. Yes, they’ve continued to support Trump and to vote for his nominees, but if we keep up our resistance (and I think we can) and Trump continues his erratic behavior (as I’m sure he will), some of them will break with Trump and then the whole equation changes.

Our resistance has also succeeded it taking the repeal of the Affordable Care Act off the immediate agenda. Trump, who not long ago was boasting he could fix everything wrong with healthcare in an instant, is now suggesting that, well, maybe we won’t get to it until 2018. Or maybe never? Never’s good with me.

The other big accomplishment?

Activists — old hands and newbies both — are taking the energy that propelled the Women’s March and all the other acts of resistance that have erupted in the last three weeks and creating a vast new infrastructure of resistance that will enable us to fight this fight as long as it takes to win.

To see what I’m talking about, check out The Nation’s very handy Guide to the Sprawling New Anti-Trump Resistance Movement, which discusses a number of these new initiatives and suggests ways to get involved with them.

And if you are interested in doing some activism yourself, right now, call your senators and urge them to vote no on Tom Price for Health and Human Services. His confirmation vote could come tomorrow. See 5calls for more details on him and the number of a Senator to call.

And if you want to do more 5Calls has a bunch of suggestions for other calls you can make. See my posts here and here for information and advice on how to make your calls and emails effective. If making these sorts of calls is tough for you, here’s some advice on calling politicians if you have social anxiety. But emails are also fine.

If you’re (rightfully) pissed off about DeVos, Upworthy has some suggestions of ways to defend students and schools and learning in general.

If you want to do some marching or otherwise get out of the house, here are some upcoming protests and other events, which I’ve pasted in from the RESISTABLE newsletter (sign up for it here).

Thursday, February 9
6:30PM ETCleveland Activist Bootcamp, Cleveland, OH
Freedom of Choice Cleveland Coalition (FOCC) is hosting “Roe Together,” an evening of education and activism on reproductive choice. The speakers will address the moral, legal, legislative, and practical consequences of recent attacks on reproductive rights, as well as providing insights on how to respond effectively through direct action.

Friday, February 10
5PM CSTRally for Reproductive Rights, Chicago, IL
Reproductive rights, including abortion, are under attack everywhere in this nation. Illinois, and the Chicago area in particular, have long been known as a safe haven for abortion care in the midwest region. We’re holding this rally to defend the rights we already have, and to demand their protection and expansion.

Saturday, February 11
11AM ETProtest PP Counter-Rally, Manhattan, NY

Protest PP is holding country-wide rallies to defund Planned Parenthood. If you think Planned Parenthood is vital and necessary and should receive government funding, then join others who stand with Planned Parenthood in Washington Square Park to peacefully support them.

8:30AM ET 11th Annual Moral March on Raleigh, Raleigh, NC
This annual mass mobilization brings together justice loving people from across the state and nation to stand against the legislative attacks on the people of North Carolina and to continue to fight for their moral agenda. Opening rally at 9:00 a.m., march and people’s assembly at 10:00 a.m. Will gather on South St. in downtown Raleigh.

12PM ET —  Support Planned Parenthood, Portland, ME
Join organizers on the steps of City Hall to show support for Planned Parenthood and their mission, which is to provide, promote, and protect access to reproductive health care and sexuality education so that all people can make voluntary choices about their reproductive and sexual health. **This event is in support of Planned Parenthood, but not representative of or affiliated with the organization.

That’s all I’ve got for today. KEEP ON PERSISTING!

Seraph4377

Another little bit of good news. And while it may seem little indeed, all politics is local. Building a bench is important, and most important of all, it’s an early indication that we’re turning all this energy and activism into vastly increased voter turn-out, which is how we win this thing in the long term.

Rhuu
Rhuu

@Seraph4377: That is indeed an excellent start!

Falconer
Falconer

There don’t seem to be any elections in Tennessee in 2017.

My heart says we need to maintain momentum but my brain says this is going to be a long haul. We need to build support from the ground up.

So good on New Mexico Dems for sweeping the school boards.

Faerie Bard
Faerie Bard

We lost the battle, and will likely lose quite a few. But I will not give up, and I will not shut up. There is too much at stake.

“Nevertheless, she persisted…”

Abars01
Abars01

I’m an Australian, but I’ve got not one, not two, but three protests coming up. As long as there’s at least one protest on the horizon, I feel reassured, but hoo boy, the stipulation that this has to continue until 2020 – or, heaven forbid 2024 – really racks my nerves… It kind of makes me hope that Trump will continue to regularly do outrageous things so that people’s resolve remains fresh.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Seraph
Woot!
The fight has just begun. Let’s fuckin go!

PaganReader

I called Sen. Toomey. I got his voicemail and left a message. I think his staff is at lunch. At least he didn’t have his phone off the hook this time, like I’m pretty sure he did a few days ago.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Seraph
Yes! That’ll certainly help in putting a wrench in Devos and her cronies’ schemes.
@Axe
Thank you for that site. I’m looking up a few condidates and I’m liking what I see from them. What do you think of Jon Ossof or Stephanie Hansen for instance? I’m not really familiar with them but it looks like if they win their respective districts they may do quite a bit of change.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Oogly

What do you think of Jon Ossof or Stephanie Hansen for instance?

I don’t. They have Ds next to their names, and that’s the important thing. That said, Ossoff’s good looking, he’s got money, and he’s worked with and endorsed by both John Lewis and Hank Johnson. He’s kinda perfect, and a blue win in the 6th is a big deal. The environment and the drug war are the hills Hansen’s chosen to fight on, so that’s nice

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Marginally related. Eugh

Justin Trudeau and Donald Trump to meet Monday in Washington

Statement from Prime Minister’s Office confirms date for first face-to-face meeting

I mean, I get it – we have to have a relationship just to keep Trump from destroying our economy, but… eugh.

FunnyDiva
FunnyDiva

Thanks for sticking with this, David

FYI, here’s a site for WA State resistance actions.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

I’m not sure Mr. Trudeau disagrees with you. Hope Sophie stays at home.

Mara
Mara

I’m a lurker (I used to come to this blog to amuse myself with stories about stupid mra’s) but I just wanted to say: good luck, everyone! Protest the hell out of this “president”, because he’s affecting my part of the world too. I’m from the Netherlands, and yes, people have been protesting here too. By the thousands!
We also joke about him (a lot). You may have seen our little video introducing our country to Trump…it’s fantastic. Really great. The best 🙂

Good luck! We have the best good-luck wishes in the Netherlands 🙂

authorialAlchemy
authorialAlchemy

I’m counter protesting some anti-choice motherfuckers this Saturday.

Hopefully I can also talk to some cis women about trans inclusion in reproductive rights. I’m going to make a “my body, my choice” with trans and genderqueer flags on it.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Resist!

@Mara, much love from Canada! 🌷

Zenobia Augusta
Zenobia Augusta

I think Stephanie Hansen is a good choice. This area has a really bad heroin problem. And increasingly, a really bad homelessness problem, with people living in the woods. On New Year’s Day my brother got into a knife fight with a homeless man.

ScarlettAthena
ScarlettAthena

I have made phone calls every week now. One of my senator’s voicemail is full. I’m from NJ, and all my reps are dems, but I think it helps them to voice my opinion. It gives them more spine.

I’m also planning to march when I can – March for Science in April, for example. I’m looking for other protests too.

Keep on persisting and resisting!

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Don’t just give’m spine, @ScarlettAthena; your calls also let them know that you’re paying attention to them. It’ll keep them from being tempted by the siren song of compromise.

“Just vote with me on this thing,” slithers The Republican, “Just this one thing – you’ll get a few thousand kicked into your campaign funds, and I’ll owe you. It’s how politics is supposed to be,” his siblant voice warbles, “compromise and co-operation. You like those things. You’re reasonable…”

Democrats want to compromise, they recognize that that’s how a functional two-party democracy has to work. Your calls are a stern reminder that we don’t compromise with fascists. They’re a reminder that they will be primaried into oblivion if they give Trump an inch.

Calls to Democrats are just as important, if not moreso. It helps keep them grounded to their voters. Keep it up!

authorialAlchemy
authorialAlchemy

In your phone calls, don’t be afraid to call Trump a fascist, or at least highlight how destructive he and his cabinet are.

The claim that Trump and Bannon are fascist is not unfounded. I feel like someone with political power and influence needs to call him what he is.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

And in Canada, there are Electoral Reform actions all across Canada:

Join the movement for proportional representation in Canada

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

Wait, you mean that isn’t a screaming orange in the picture?

MrsObedMarsh
MrsObedMarsh

I hadn’t been making my calls lately (bad girl!) but I called my senators about Tom Price and my Congress rep about Gorsuch today. The Congress rep’s phone went to voicemail, but the Senate staffers I talked to sounded upbeat and pleasant. (All my reps are Democrats, so I expect the staffers were happy to take supportive calls.) Let’s all keep calling!

Rhuu
Rhuu

@Fishy Goat: Thank you for the link!

History Nerd
History Nerd

It’s standard practice for the Senate to near-unanimously confirm judicial and cabinet nominees. The fact that the Democrats aren’t voting to confirm is a big deal.

PaganReader

@Axe
It looks like there mght be one in Knox County (May 1st) and one in the City of Knoxville (August 29th) and then there’s a state/federal/town of Farragut Municipal Election on August 2nd (primary) and November 6th (general). I don’t know where you live in Tennessee or what will be on the ballot, though. Hopefully that helps.
I know Pennsylvania’s this year is Municipal.

Carter
Carter

If anyone feels like ruining their day, might I suggest going to the twitter account of Publius Decius Mus (@PDeciusMus), presumably the author of “The Flight 93 Election” (Michael Anton) and see who he was talking with on twitter on April 1st, 2016 and April 6th, 2016. And remember that, if this identification is correct, where Michael Anton is currently employed.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Appeals court strikes down the Muslim ban! It’ll go to the Supreme Court, so it’s not over, but, this is definitely good news! And my state was one of the ones who were the opposition and took the case to the court. I’m not terribly proud to be an American right now (and never really was) but I can at least be glad to be a Minnesotan!

So that’s another small victory we can cling to.

I don’t know if it’s because we’re gaining daylight and it’s not so dark and gloomy anymore, but I’ve been feeling a little bit like the pall I’ve been under is lifting this week.

joekster (bearded beta)
joekster (bearded beta)

Hey everyone, just a quick reminder. I know I’ve been guilty of this before, but I’ve seen a lot of articles suggesting that Lord Dampnuts may be mentally ill, either with a DSM diagnosis or because of medication side effects. Just a reminder that ableism is not cool. Not that any of you cool people would do that…

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

Good work ScarlettAthena and MrsObedMarsh! Let’s keep it up.

@WWTH
That is some good news. Historically speaking most cases that reach the Supreme Court would default to the appeals court’s decision. However since we have a tie in the Supreme Court, and Scalia’s gone, who knows what will happen next?

@SFHC
“BLACK ROBED FIGURES FEAR THEM AND THEIR TYRANNY OF THE HOOMAN PEOPLES!!!” They just love to ignore the fact that judges actively changing things in accordance to their political views is a common practice.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

And, of course, the ‘wingers are already screeching in misspelled caps about “ACTIVIST JUDGES!!!”

Because every judge that rules in the Dems’ favour, even if they got there by following the Constitution and putting aside their own beliefs, is an “Activist” (and on the flip side, no judge that rules in the Repubs’ favour, even if they got there by putting aside the Constitution and following their own beliefs, is one). Words having meanings is a liberal conspiracy, damnit.

Hey, whoever runs the Merriam Webster Twitter account, there’s a WotD idea for you.

dlouwe
dlouwe

@SFHC

Sounds like projection to me! I wouldn’t at all be surprised to find that the sort of people who yell “ACTIVIST JUDGES” are also the sort who wouldn’t hesitate for a second to abuse any power they have to further their own goals, and so they assume everyone else does that too. Everyone is disgustingly selfish, nobody really has any moral convictions. So if someone does something you don’t like, call out their agenda, which they definitely have, and if they are doing things you like, then that’s fine because everyone does it, and at least you got yours.

Jules
Jules

To all the people protesting across the world:

Thank you. I mean, obviously what happens here affects you so your leaders need to hear your concerns (loudly), but it’s supportive for people in the U.S. too. On a personal level, it helps.

Let me know if you need some Americans to step up for you too. 😀 Even in the best of times we, uh, have a tendency to be myopic and…apathetic when it’s “some other country.” But the world’s been going in a weird direction, and we little guys got to stick together.

Sincerely, an American

JS
JS

If the Supreme Court actually “ties”, then it defaults to the Appeals Court verdict. Thank goodness the VP doesn’t get to cast a tiebreaking vote for that.

Unfortunately, once Trump gets his pick into the Supreme Court, I think he can have the Justice Dep try again, since a tied court does not set precedent. By then, hopefully he’ll have spent what political capital he had on recovering from other weird ideas, and have to come up with something that’s actually reasonable.

Anne Lewis, Jib Creatr
Anne Lewis, Jib Creatr

Does anyone know of a diplomatic way of telling Senator David Purdue (R– GA) to sit on a cactus and rotate? He’s taken money from the DeVos family, he echoed Dorito Mussolini in accusing Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer of faking tears in his statements about the Muslim ban, and he applauded Dorito’s executive order to resume construction on the DAPL and Keystone XL pipelines.
In short, he’s a fucking monster.

Kat
Kat

SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!

Tee-hee. Does the president think that he can threaten to sue and the other side will crumple due to a lack of funds? That’s his usual method. But this is a different ballgame!

This tweet looks like Trump himself might have composed it. Witness the runon sentence and the ALL CAPS!

Justin tweeted this:

Still waiting comment from President Bannon @realDonaldTrump

JB added,

Justin @xxdesmus
look it up Donald. 9th circuit is a “court” and you just had your ass handed to you. @realDonaldTrump

Kat
Kat

@Anne Lewis

Diplomatic? Hmm.

How’s this:

Go fuck yourself.

Or this:

You’re a mean jerk.

I got those from Miss Manners.

Autosoma
Autosoma

I feel that nearly all of the arrogant narcissist self-cocksucking idiots appointments are going to be utterly ineffectual, the moment he thinks they’re not doing exactly as he wants, he’s going to fire them. So they won’t actually be able to sign off on his dipshittery because the turn-over is going to be so high.

Each time they hit a bit of law that stops them in their tracks, he’ll have a hissy fit and they’ll be out the door, then his next appointment will have to pick up the pieces and by the time they’ve got themselves sorted, they’ve looked at him a bit funny and the next one gets fired.

I really don’t think any of his actual appointments will be in office for more than nine months or so maybe less, Christy for example didn’t last much longer than election day. He’s pretty much out of his depth right now wandering around the White House, in his dressing gown, looking for the TV remote.

I do accept that he could possibly do a shit load of damage, but the US has the rule of law and he isn’t the law maker, I know a lot of them are nearly as dopey as him but, they have to debate, and all that stuff and you have this crazy filibuster thing that is really gonna drive him bonkers.

Frankly, though I think you’ll be better with him in the White House rather than that evil slimey little turd Pence because he actually knows how the system works and will really bring about the destruction of the US

Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy

@Autosoma:

I appreciate your optimism, but why do you think that Devilman Domald Tromp and his minions will respect the law, especially with the Congress in his favour, and the Supreme Court soon to be?

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Random hilarity: I just accidentally Googled “Angry dickhead” instead of “Angry Trump” (I am very tired) and still got the picture I was after.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

This is for all of you lovely people <3

JS
JS

Well… even my dad, a trump voter, is beginning to realize just what we wound up with in the White House of Patriotism. It’s taken a while, but recently he did say trump should just shut up about Ivanka.

And it’s even possible that someone finally talked with the Trumpy Minister of Information (KellyAnne C) about using a Presidential office to pump up a business.

So maybe, just maybe, the persistence is slowly paying off.

Carter
Carter

Even more fun, look who Michael Anton cites in this essay about Tom Wolfe’s writing (http://www.claremont.org/crb/article/a-woman-in-full/). As a hint, who’s the white nationalist who ended up popularizing the be all, end all explanation for female behavior of the assorted group this blog tracks.

Autosoma
Autosoma

@laughter

Because law is complicated, there’s vested interest, lobbies, people will be watching and watching closely, there’s appeal, there is other big money involved. Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders will shout loud and you will all hear and the true power of democracy, the people, will stand up and stop it. Money and people won’t stand by idly.

You still have a democracy, you still have a voice and good Republicans will end up moving to stop it the moment Trump does something that stops someone else’s money.

Also Britain, Saudi and China own all your debt and Trump will find it very, very painful for his own bottom line if he fucks with the repayments, you just don’t go Chapter 11 on British owned debt. You may think we are a bunch of gormless tea drinking muppets who let Farage con us into Brexit, but we know the flow of cash and if you don’t realise we’re a bunch of bastards when it comes to finance, wait till the Chinese are really pissed off with him, because his idiotic take on how the rule of law works and international law works. Also Putin sure as shit wont bail him out.

Finally, when the money runs out and there are no Federal funds to buy up Iowa’s potato surplus, the spud farmers will certainly make their congess person change their mind.

But then again I’ve always been a mindless optimist and you’ll always find good no matter how bad it is.

Autosoma
Autosoma

Actually, sorry I got your federal bonds debt wrong 70-ish % is owned by US Citizens and Corporations. The rest of your National debt is owned By China, Japan, Britain and Saudi, I forgot Japan – my bad

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

Appeals court strikes down the Muslim ban!

Well, I guess we’ve pass the first few feet of Shitshow Mountain. Hopefully we can scale the rest before the fucking nuclear winter happens.

JS
JS

Local news recently did a story on “Surviving Apocalypse”, so we’re ready! Film at 11!!!1!

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Pagan

I don’t know where you live in Tennessee

1 state down actually. Speaking of which…

@Anne

Tell me when you figure it out. I can use it for Isakson too

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Can I use it for my senators too, who both sold us out to DeVos for less than 50K in donations each?

Like, I’m hella pissed about this. I’m not just pissed they sold our education system to a vile snake of a woman who has demonstrated she has ZERO qualifications for her office, I’m also pissed for the amount they did it too.

Apparently our education system and the future of our children is worth less than 50K to them.

So glad their children will very likely never have to deal with this. However, I hope the both of them realize that there’s a special place in hell for people who fuck with children.

I am grateful for the uprising of people voting for school boards who will hopefully fend off Umbridge’s DeVos’ greed and callous disregard for the public school system.

authorialAlchemy
authorialAlchemy

i hate to rain on the parade, but ICE raids have begun.