a voice for men antifeminism empathy deficit entitled babies evil sexy ladies irony alert men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA paul elam rape rape culture

Take a trip down memory lane with Kevin Logan’s video takedown of Paul Elam

The nightmare world of Mr. Elam

Remember Paul Elam, the would-be Men’s Rights king whose assholish personality and obvious hatred of women (and, to be honest, most men) helped to derail the very movement he was trying to lead, ensuring that its time in the media spotlight would be a brief one?

I haven’t written about him in a while, because, honestly, there’s not much left to say about a man who will be but a historical footnote. But YouTube vlogger and Manosphere critic Kevin Logan has finally gotten around to doing a video about Elam, and it’s a doozy.

While I don’t agree with the way Logan has framed some of the issues in the video — I think most of you will see what I’m talking about — he does manage to capture just what an odious and angry character Elam really is. Elam’s writings are abhorrent enough, but the video and audio clips of Elam that Logan has worked into his video are stomach-churning, driven by a wide assortment of grudges and a barely controlled rage.

I’ve written a lot of stuff about Elam, obviously, but I’ve only rarely watched his videos. He’s such a toxic human being that it’s deeply draining to listen to him for more than a few minutes at a time. Logan, who obviously has a stronger stomach than I do, has taken a hit for the team by watching countless Elam videos and pulling out particularly revealing moments, despite the toll this much exposure to Elam took on him. So thanks!

I make a few cameos in Logan’s video. Apparently Elam doesn’t like me very much.

Here it is!

Oh, wait, that’s not the video. That’s a video of expert pimple-popper Dr. Sandra Lee draining and removing an inflamed cyst, which is actually much more pleasant to watch than Elam is. (And Dr. Lee is probably the most charming doctor you’ll ever run across ever.) Here’s the actual video.

Ugh. I’m not sure I’ll ever feel clean again.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Goddamn it David, I wanted to sleep tonight, and now I’m going to spend a lot of time looking at pimple popping videos.

I didn’t want to go back down that rabbit hole, but it’s just so hypnotizing…

Lucrece
Lucrece

I love Doctor Lee! She’s amazing 😍

Paul Elam? Not so much.

Bina

Dr. Pimple Popper is definitely more fun to watch than Paulie. For one thing, she’s very sweet and professional. For another, one actually learns a thing or two from watching her. From Paulie, all I learn is how mean and ugly a man can get, from the inside out. Yuckier and grosser than the contents of an epidermoid cyst any day.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Ugh. TMI alert.

Thanks to PMS, I totally have a chest zit that looks just like that. It’s pretty gross. It should go away on its own in a couple of days though. No dermatologist assistance required. I hate how my period turns me back into a pimply, angsty teen though!

I hope Miggy Toes is reading this thread.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Oh, and since I’m sure we’ll get new readers soon: Welcome! There are welcome packages linked somewhere in the numerous sidebars!

However, I’m going to be a little blunt. As one of our delightful regulars is fond of saying: “Asshole is NOT a mental illness”.

It’s really detrimental to those of us who have mental illnesses to throw us under the bus to distance yourself from dudes like Elam (as tempting as it is. I feel gross sharing a species with him too).

Besides, none of us know his mental health history, that’s between him and his psychiatrist (which I’m sure is himself).

Ooglyboggles

I’d much rather see something rot into nothing but bones and dirt than see clips of Elam and puss any day.

Bina

@Paradoxy:

I didn’t want to go back down that rabbit hole, but it’s just so hypnotizing…

Interestingly, one of the many things she talks about on her channel is how many people watch her “popping” videos before they go to sleep, apparently finding it soothing (or at least cathartically satisfying) to see nasty* things removed from human skins. I find her manner is very calming and gentle…and yes, it is soothing to watch a couple of them last thing at night!

*Nothing she could dig out of people’s pores (or lower down in the dermis) is anywhere NEAR as nasty and gross as Paulie’s thought processes, though.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I never got the fascination with watching pimple popping videos. I watch all kinds of horror, including the really gory stuff. But that’s all fictional. Real grossness is just a big no for me.

Handsome :Punkle Stan: Jack

Actually not as bad as some tonsil stone videos I’ve seen recently. (Mostly because DO I HAVE TONSIL STONES?? OH GOD.)

Er, I’m talking about the cyst thing, not the other thing. I don’t think I have the stomach for that.

PaganReader

@Paradoxical Intention
Do you watch the Incredible Dr. Pol? He had this poor black lab (I think) who poor face was all swollen up with infection. He popped the abcess and the pus just poured out. It was nasty.
This video reminded me of that.This one was a lot grosser than the massive blackhead removal one of hers that I had seen.

gijoel
gijoel

Cyst lancing was more pleasant to watch

Vucodlak
Vucodlak

I’m another one who can’t understand the attraction to popping vids. I had a recurrent MRSA infection in my late teens and early twenties; I’ve seen enough boils, cysts, and pus to last me a lifetime. My favorite was probably the cyst I got on my tailbone, though honorable mention goes to the one in middle of my forehead. Said more than once: ‘No asshole, I’m not a unicorn. Go away or I’ll ooze on you.’ I get cranky when I’m full of pus.

Yesterday I discovered that one of my favorite musical artists (Cindergarden, aka Jaymie Valentine) has a couple of songs that I’ve somehow never heard before, despite owning the album they’re supposedly from. So my soothing thing since then has been listening to “Nothing Revealed” on a loop. Definitely better than listening to Elam (or Trump, whose smug voice currently fills me with nauseous stress).

FFS.

Pop-a-cyst video? (Yuck.)

Paul Elam video? (Yuck!)

I haven’t watched the former, and I got less than 3 minutes into the latter.

Notable so far:

1. Paul Elam thinks 80 percent of women are unworthy of his attention. (That’s women in their “raw state.” Oh goody, he wants to cook and eat us.) But Elam’s math is way off. I crunched the numbers and the figure is at least 1000 percent.

2. Elam’s Texas accent seems to come and go. It’s clear to me that the deal Elam made with Satan gives him this supernatural power. Most people don’t know about it because it didn’t get covered.

3. Like all abusers, Elam seems darned proud of the bile he spews; in his mind, it’s a mark of intelligence and leadership. He doesn’t understand that being nasty is easy peasy.

FFS.

Pop-a-cyst video? (Yuck.)

Paul Elam video? (Yuck!)

I haven’t watched the former, and I got less than 3 minutes into the latter.

Notable so far:

2. Elam’s Texas accent seems to come and go. The deal Elam made with Satan gives him this supernatural power. Most people don’t know about it because it didn’t get covered.

Moggie
Moggie

Hmm, youtube has repeatedly recommended pimple popping videos to me, even though I’ve never watched anything like that. Maybe the embeds at WHTM are enough to influence its recommendations, even if you don’t click on them?

Cat Mara

A bit OT but regarding the soothing effect of pimple-popping videos, there is this phenomenon called Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response or ASMR that some people experience: a kind of pleasant, tingling sensation in the back of the neck or across the scalp when you hear certain sounds or see certain actions being performed. I get it myself, often from hearing sounds like clicking, scraping or crinkling, or from watching someone perform a complex task with their hands like writing or drawing. There’s a whole sub-genre of YouTube videos devoted to it.

One of the theories to account for ASMR is that it is some kind of vestigial remnant of our primate grooming instinct which, if it were true, would explain why seeing pimples or other skin conditions being dealt with is so satisfying and soothing to many people…

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

Might explain some wound management specialist nurses – my daughter among them.

Since I’ve had this ghastly infection in the skin on my legs, it seems there’s a whole lot of Very Important work to be done in ensuring that as much dead skin as possible is removed before the area is dressed and bandaged again. My daughter who’s worked in the pediatric burns unit, the clinical nurse expert who runs/supervises the wound management clinics for this region, and a couple of others I’ve dealt with would happily – if their job allowed it – spend hours delicately using surgical tweezers &or scissors to pick up tiny, near invisible, flakes of skin and put them out of harm’s way. I’m pretty sure that, if they had time, nurses in this group would happily get one of those magnifying glass/ task light combinations and settle in for a satisfying session of identifying and removing Every Last Minuscule Particle they possibly could. Very much like our primate relatives seeking fleas, lice and every other little thing.

Quite different to the majority, I must say, who briskly get stuck into scrubbing it off as quickly as possible. Most are careful and considerate, but several can be pretty unhelpful when you complain about the pain – if you’ve taken oxycodone apparently pain is no longer an issue, even if you’re clutching the ceiling or crying your eyes out, or both.

Croosters
Croosters

You know what. Fuck Elam. Fuck him and his stupid ilk.

How can a man who claims to care about male suicide call a man (David) to commit suicide because he disagrees with him?

How can a man who literally repeats all the same stupid victim-blaming nonsense that my rapist used to discredit me claim to care about equal rights?

I just want to smash that guy’s face in so badly.

Anonymous
Anonymous

This Paul Elam guy is clearly a psychopath. If you read about psychopaths and how they think, you will see that their thinking consists almost entirely of rationalizations for blaming their victims, or those they would like to victimize. Paul Elam thinks just that way, clearly.

Sarah
Sarah

I have NEVER ONCE seen a photo or video of Elam in which he didn’t appear to be completely deranged.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

@Sarah, PoS? Fuckwit, fuckwit wearing his arse for a face? (comments policy … being a total arsehole is not a mental illness, as they say).

Sarah
Sarah

I’m aware of that, thanks. I’m pretty sure “deranged” hasn’t been a clinical definition since the 19th century.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

PaganReader | February 5, 2017 at 12:23 am
@Paradoxical Intention

Shortly before I moved out of my grandma’s house, she got into the habit of watching his show every Saturday. I love the guy, he’s so much fun to watch, and he and his family are really swell people. (Though I didn’t see that episode. :P)

Another animal show I really love is Call of the Wildman. It follows a guy nicknamed “Turtleman” who runs a animal control business. Essentially, people call him when nature invades where it’s not supposed to, and he comes in, humanely captures the animal, and releases it back into the wild.

My favorite part is where he names the animal. He sees the evidence of it being there, and he’s like “I’mma call it [Name], because it’s [something related to the name].” Like how one time he got called to a Christmas tree farm to catch a beaver, and he named it “Scrooge” because it was wrecking the Christmas trees.

It’s so gosh-darned sweet.

GenJones
GenJones

Are “dysfunctional” and”maladjusted” considered ablist terms? Seems more accurate

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

Deranged can be used as an ableist slur, but it also can be used as a description. I do think that Elam don’t just look like an arsehole. My bet on why he look unpredictable, erratic, and inconsistent is however on him being an alcoholic.

JoeB
JoeB

I’ve never been more transfixed by a video that made me physically nauseous, and I’m not sure which video I mean.

Lea
Lea

The cyst isn’t nearly as nasty as Elam.

LindsayIrene

There are men out there who know that a bug-eyed rage expression can easily trigger a fear response. Paul Elam is one of those men. Not deranged, just an asshole.

vaiyt
vaiyt

1. Paul Elam thinks 80 percent of women are unworthy of his attention.

And yet, he spends 100% of his time complaining about them.

Cat Mara

@Lea

The cyst isn’t nearly as nasty as Elam.

True, but they’re quite similar in that every time you think nothing more revolting can come out of either– ew! here comes some more vile discharge… 🙁

joekster (bearded beta)
joekster (bearded beta)

So, I watched the I&D video, and there’s a couple ways here technique is different than what the surgeons taught me in med school.

1: her incision was a great deal smaller than what I was taught to use. Obviously, a smaller incision would have a better cosmetic outcome (which is important), but I was taught that you had to get a big enough incision to get your fingers in there to look for any loculations (abscesses can often have layers to them, and if you don’t get through those layers, then they just come back).

2: I notice she doesn’t pack the wound afterwards. That’s probably because she’s giving the patient oral antibiotics, which should have the same effect…

Paul Elam? Who is Paul Elam?

Margot
Margot

I was wondering a while ago about Elam! Haven’t heard much about him since his latest fiasco, ”an ear for men”. Good that he’s irrelevant now.

PaganReader

Oooh, I love Call of the Wildman, too!

Dormousing_it (formerly RoscoeTCat)
Dormousing_it (formerly RoscoeTCat)

I made it about halfway through the Elam video, before I had to stop. I just couldn’t take it anymore. And to think, he has children and grandchildren.

I do like Dr. Lee. Zit-popping is fun and satisfying. I have a small bump on my chin right now. I think it might be a small sebaceous cyst. I’m not going to mess with it by myself.

I’ve had opossums in my basement before. I was able to take a few blurry photos of them. I think they were dazzled by the light, because they didn’t run. Strangely enough, they sat in the cat’s litterbox, as well as a laundry basket full of dirty clothes.

Flora
Flora

@joekster

I was taught and have done the same – larger incision, break the loculations, pack the wound. (We would break the loculations with a pair of blunted forceps though.) I’ve only done a few cyst drains though, and since I’m not in family med or derm it hasn’t come up again. Maybe this is the new standard of practice? Or the old one…

The difference between a cyst full of pus and Paul Elam is that there is a cure for the cyst…

epitome of incomprehensibility

Hm. The cyst video isn’t super-fun for me, but through it I discovered a video of her popping a bunch of blackheads with a special popping tool, and it’s weirdly relaxing.

I get (small) blackheads on my upper arms and shoulders and have a bad habit of popping them, which is a waste of time and probably a bit irritating to my skin. Oftentimes my fingernails leave crescent-shaped cuts and scrapes – I don’t have a special pimple-popping tool. So maybe I can watch Dr. Lee popping blackheads instead! Harmless fun! For the whole family!

(And Dr. Lee is probably the most charming doctor you’ll ever run across ever.)

Yes, she sounds nice, too – the way she’s talking to people, telling them what’s going on while being reassuring, chatting about their lives, etc.

eli
eli

I fell asleep this afternoon watching the Elam video, but did enjoy the song at the end.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

@epitome, you can buy those blackhead tools at any drugstore; they’re sold by the nail clippers and tweezers. They’re not very expensive at all…around 5 bucks, IIRC.

@mildlymagnificent
Oh my goodness, that sounds painful! Not to mention way too lengthy.

I hope that this infection clears up quickly and completely.

Take good care of yourself.

@Cat Mara

There is this phenomenon called Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response or ASMR that some people experience: a kind of pleasant, tingling sensation in the back of the neck or across the scalp when you hear certain sounds or see certain actions being performed. I get it myself, often from hearing sounds like clicking, scraping or crinkling, or from watching someone perform a complex task with their hands like writing or drawing.

Drawing! And here I thought I might be the only one. When I was very young, my mother used to draw pictures for me and I had this ASMR response.

Now, many years later, I don’t have that response automatically. There’s too much societal architecture in my brain. But I’ve never forgotten it and can will myself into it by not anticipating where the line of drawing will go. I just follow the line and I’m kinda hypnotized in a really pleasant way. I can do that with writing too.

I also have synesthesia (in my case, I assign colors to numbers). I thought I was alone in this until I was 20 and read an article on this phenomenon in Psychology Today. Mind blown.

eli
eli

@Cat Mara and Kat

Is this similar to the sensation you get when someone is braiding your hair?

Because sometimes I get it, too. Watching stuff. But not music, because I do that. And not popping zits/cysts.

But stuff that’s intricate and uses hands, like watching the Buddhist monks put colored sand in a mandala, that I had a chance to see once.

@eli

Is this similar to the sensation you get when someone is braiding your hair?

It is! No one has braided my hair since I was seven and got my first haircut. But I do recall that sensation.

eli
eli

I listened to an NPR podcast called “Invisibilia” and one of their episodes I remembered was about things like synesthesia. I can’t find the direct podcast link, but the entire series was very good. It’s also on iTunes.

They were talking about this phenomenon:

I’m always interested in synesthesia because certain composers, like Scriabin, possibly Amy Beach and others felt this as a connection with music and colors.

Sorry if this was a double post.

Ledasmom
Ledasmom

I work for a vet. We had somebody come in recently with a dog who apparently had a burst cyst. Well, it was a burst cyst, but there was a lot more cyst than the owner thought. If they aren’t surgically removed they tend to refill, but a lot of people aren’t prepared to pay for surgery, so – The doctor pokes the cyst. Stuff spews out. Owner leaps back. I lean out of the way. Flushing of cyst proceeds. Dog is very patient.
When all was done I went and described it to the person then at the reception desk: “There were two holes! Stuff spurting out! He stuck a cotton swab in there!” Response: “Was it chunky? I love it when they’re chunky!” We may be odd people.
We had a dog once with a facial abscess that the doctor poked lightly and the pus shot across the room and hit two sets of cabinets. One cup total, surgery involved.
And there is nothing I love like feeling through a dog’s fur for random dog lumps (old dogs can be very lumpy. Sometimes we give up and just record the ones over a certain size) or, better yet, ticks. Ticks are so satisfying to find.

@eli

Thanks for those links.

The second link, Discover magazine, says this:

Roughly 1 in 10,000 people have synesthesia, but these estimates are rough at best.

The Psychology Today article I read said that 90 percent of children experience synesthesia, but only 10 percent remember it. As I recall, this figure wasn’t based on research.

Talk about rough estimates!

eli
eli

@ledasmom

Oh my! My poor little long-dead beagle had such amazing lumps. His dad had them too. They were majestic and they impeded his mobility terribly. I regret that they got to the point that they did. But nobody wanted to do anything about them.

@Kat

yeah, pretty cool stuff. Estimates always seem to be rough!

Lucrece
Lucrece

@joekster (bearded beta) said:

1: her incision was a great deal smaller than what I was taught to use…

Dr Lee talks about loculations in other videos and sometimes uses a cotton tip or blunt forceps to explore, but you’re absolutely right that she keeps the incision as small as possible for cosmetic reasons. She’s said that based on her experience, making a bigger incision doesn’t necessarily reduce the risk of recurrence. But she will enlarge incisions if she needs to.

(Disclaimer – I watch a lot of YouTube doctors and am slightly addicted to pimple popping and cyst videos! Don’t judge me 😄)

2: I notice she doesn’t pack the wound afterwards.

Interestingly, there’s apparently recent research that shows, according to another YouTube doc Geoff Butler, there may not be any advantage in terms of healing time to packing a wound (although he says he prefers to do it for other reasons). Might be something you’d have an interest in so here’s a link to the video where he discusses it:

***CONTENT WARNING*** this video also had an infected cyst being drained!

Must say, this is still a more interesting topic than Elam – I do try my best to avoid even thinking about him these days. Remember the glory days, when AVFM, The Spearhead, and RoK were the worst things we had to think about? You know – before Trump? *sigh*

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Eli & Kat

There was an amazing Horizon documentary about our senses. During that it was explained that everyone is born with synesthesia.

That is to say our brains haven’t yet differentiated which bits are going to process which sensory inputs. Over time though the relevant pathways sort themselves out to one degree or another. Adults who experience synesthesia just don’t have the demarcation of the brain as rigidly defined.

However that demarcation isn’t fixed. Turns out there’s truth in the old myth about losing one sense making the other senses stronger to compensate. There was for example a blind guy who could ride a bike by echo-location. When they put him on a CAT scan they could see that the part of the brain that had previously processed sight was now processing hearing.

There was also an amazing thing where they managed to give someone the ability to sense the magnetic field of the earth, to the extent the could navigate blind folded.

Brains are a wonderful things.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

This guy. I’m doubly impressed because I can see but I still drive into the back of things.