#ResistTrump actual activism Islamophobia racism trump

#ResistTrump today by calling about Sessions, DeVos, Russia, the Muslim ban

Old-school speakerphone

Your mission today? More calls!

I know we’re all sick of making calls, but they make a difference. Republican members of congress are feeling besieged, and Democrats are standing up to Trump more directly because of pressure from their base. That is, from us.

There are a lot of things to call about. Here are a couple of ideas:

SAY NO TO JEFF SESSIONS

Is your Senator on the Judiciary Committee? Find out here. If so, call as early as you can to tell them to vote against Jeff Sessions for Attorney General — the committee is scheduled to vote on him this morning!

SAY NO TO BETSY DEVOS

Is your Senator on the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee? See here for a list of members. If your Senator is a Republican, tell them to vote against Betsy DeVos for Secretary of Education. She’s also up for committee vote this morning. If your Senator is a Dem, thank them for pledging to vote against her, as all Dems on the committee have done.

Also consider calling or Tweeting these Republicans, even if they’re not your Senators.

INVESTIGATE TRUMP’S RUSSIAN TIES

Congresswoman Maxine Waters has a plan:

Ask your congressperson to support her!

THE MUSLIM BAN

Check out 5calls,org for a handy script to use when calling about the Muslim ban, as well as ideas for other issues to call about.

GIVE YOURSELF A BIG PAT ON THE BACK BECAUSE YOU ARE AWESOME

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

DeVos is such a fucking nightmare. Sessions is even worse. If we can stop one of them, it would actually save lives.

pk1154
pk1154

I made my Muslim ban calls yesterday. I actually could not leave a message for one of my senators as her voicemail as well as the staffs voicemail was full, but was able to leave a message with my other senator. (Both of them have made statements that put them on the side of decency on this issue.) I was able to speak to someone in my representative’s Washington office on this issue. So far he’s been mum but has (this is so lame!) put up a poll on facebook. Yes, he is a typical back-bench gop invertebrate.

Today I called my senators about Sessions and DeVos. This time I was able to talk to someone in the office I couldn’t reach yesterday but only got busy signals at the other. I know both of them oppose DeVos and one is on record as opposing Sessions. However, neither are on the relevant committees. *sigh*

Tomorrow I hope to make more calls. These are very hard for me.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

It may be too late to help but the following article shows Sessions asking Yates whether she felt able to say no to an improper presidential order, during her confirmation hearings. It may be useful in talking about Sessions’ confirmation.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ weatherwax

Yeah, just been watching the video of that. It’s actually Sessions who warns her it’s her duty!

LindsayIrene

I posted this on another thread, but I think it’s worth a double post–send a free fax:

To your congressperson

To your senator

dreemr
dreemr

OT, but I haven’t seen anything about this until today….

This is Drumpf’s America. I’m surprised the MGTOWS etc. aren’t hailing him as a hero of the Beta Uprising.

Tragic.

Jesalin
Jesalin

Senate committee approves DeVos nomination:

I had to check the calendar to make sure today wasn’t April 1st..

dreemr
dreemr

Senate committee approves DeVos nomination:

Sigh.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

More and more I find reasons to want corporate dems out of office. This women is a scam artist and advocate of fly by night chaters schools, wants to gut public education which is a major source of new voters for dems, and wants to install christian charters. And they just let her in, just like that. Then again why should I expect better from the people who let Trump in office by sheer incompetence?

dreemr
dreemr

Let’s just hope for some heroes in Education try to make it impossible for DeVos to do much damage.

PreuxFox
PreuxFox

I’d just like to remind everyone to take time and rest if you need to. It’s easy to feel like you’re letting people down if you don’t participate in every single action, so here’s a bit of truth that might help put things in perspective: one of the tools in the arsenal of a fascist regime is using their opponents’ passion against them. It’s not unusual for an elected fascist to start out ‘big’, pushing egregiously oppressive legislation, for the purpose of overloading and wearing out the citizens in opposition. Then, when people start falling into complacency out of sheer exhaustion, they start quietly slipping in the really dangerous changes to government and law.

Better to rest and recover when you need to, so that we can all continue to remain vigilant in the coming months and years. Unless he’s impeached, we have four years to go. Pace yourself.

Falconer
Falconer

DeVos was just voted out of committee. She hasn’t been confirmed yet, the full Senate needs to vote on her. Every Dem on the Committee voted nay.

I know the Dems are going to boycott the full votes on Price and Mnuchin. I don’t know if boycotting the committee hearing on DeVos would have prevented the Rs from passing her or not.

rogue angel
rogue angel

@ PreuxFox: thank you. I was thinking along similar lines, of this being basically the Trump-style version of a Blitzkrieg.

Of course, I still feel guilty for not having made any phone calls–I’ve done some protest marching, but that’s it. In my case, it’s “function like a normal person on my days off from work” or “spend hours on the phone and then crawl into a bottle of vodka”. (And this would be after writing scripts, finding out who and when to call, and all the rest of it.) I see a lot of people here who are braver than I am, though, and I pull away because I’d probably hit the bottle if I didn’t.

*goes back to corner of shame*

@ Falconer: that sounds like good news.

Falconer
Falconer

Diane flippin’ Feinstein just came out against Jefferson Beauregard Sessions The Third, when she has voted for every other single Trump nominee so far.

EDIT: Oh my god, Trump’s had his two Supreme Court choices flown to DC for the big announcement this evening. Jesus Christ. Like government is some kind of TV show.

pk1154
pk1154

Just heard on the radio that my representative backs the EO and claimed it’s not a ban on Muslims (even though nearly all of the people it impacts are, you know, Muslims).

http:/www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/01/chart-day-90000-people-are-affected-trumps-travel-ban-about-87000-are-muslim

So I called his office just a little while ago, and among other things mentioned that someone writing for THE NATIONAL REVIEW (!!) described it as “likely to undermine the national interest.” Things are just that craptastic.

I also mentioned Steve “destoy the state” Bannon.

*sigh* Trying very hard to not run upstairs and take a Xanax.

gijoel
gijoel

Someone thought that Trump’s signing photo ops looked a lot like a baby eating. The photshops are hilarious

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@pk1154, rogue angel, don’t get down on yourself if you can’t contribute every day, or even if you can’t contribute most days. This is going to be a long, long process – two years at a minimum. You need to pace yourself and contribute when you can and how you can.

It’d be a good thing for us to brainstorm things to do when you want to contribute but can’t muster the energy to phone or march or write letters. Knitting pussy hats is a good one, nice and quiet. That could be extended to making, like, larger props and flags for protesters. Even if you don’t go yourself you could send your flag or sign, and I’m sure someone would carry it. Can anyone think of anything else?

dreemr
dreemr

@rogue angel – all I’ve been doing is sending e-mails, to my local, state, and federal representatives. It’s hard for me to make phone calls during work hours. I know e-mails aren’t as effective but it’s better than nothing, I think.

I also encourage my fellow Resistance fighters online and in person as much as I can, to keep our energy up.

I mean, the guilt and shame – it’s nonsensical if you don’t mind me saying. There are non-contact, supportive things you can do. And when you can’t, just take care of yourself, rejoin the fight at another time, we’ll still hold your place.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ dreemr

I don’t know about MGTOWs but the Incels are hailing Trump’s victory as proof that if you’re a rich misogynistic asshole, women will throw their underwear and votes at you.

And that’s apparently why nice guy Bernie Sanders finished last.

So in their world Trump is the ultimate ‘alpha’.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

I made a cool dinner.

It’s meatballs with mashed potatoes – in the same ball!

The mixture is fake ground meat, mashed potatoes, egg, cream, onions, flour, soy sauce, salt, black pepper, and allspice, rolled into balls and coated with flour, then egg, then bread crumbs, deep fried in half ‘n’ half sunflower and rapeseed (they really need to change the name of that seed) oil.

The sauce is a lingonberry teriyaki, made from dark syrup, soy sauce, water, rice vinegar, pressed garlic, grated ginger, corn starch, and lots of lingonberries.

Served with thinly mandolined cucumber, pickled in rice vinegar, salt, and sugar.

Quite a bit of work, and lots of dirty dishes, but it was a fun dinner!

dreemr
dreemr

@Alan – sorry, I meant the 15-year old boy in the story I linked, not Trump (although Trump definitely normalized the misogyny that fueled this boy to murder).

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@IP, that looks super tasty! A lot of work but it looks amazing. Lingonberry teriyaki sounds amazing too. I should try that.

As for the whole problem with rapeseed oil, we started calling it canola instead of rapeseed a long time ago. So, canola plants and canola oil. At this point, the only people who call it rapeseed are a) really old farmers who refuse to change, and b) asshole edgelords trying to make people angry. So, maybe calling it canola could catch on there?

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Scildfreja

THAT’s what canola is?!?!?!

I always thought canola oil was some generic mix of various neutral oils. Thanks! :p

dlouwe
dlouwe

DeVos – nominee for Secretary of Education – may have plagiarized answers to written questions submitted by the committee: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/31/politics/betsy-devos-plagiarism-obama-official/index.html

The irony would be delicious if I weren’t so certain that it won’t change anything.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ dreemr

Actually that was my fault for not parsing your post properly! Sorry.

And I’m very appreciative of the link to the story. It’s quite relevant to something I’m working on at the moment.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

I did a wikipedia!

Canola (apparently) means “Canadian Oil, Low Acid”. It’s a group of cultivars of rapeseed that’s very popular, and was bred to be very low in an acid that may be harmful, and that prevents rapeseed from being used as animal feed. It’s a very important crop here – almost all of our vegetable oil is canola, and we export quite a bit.

Now you know! And I do too!

Abars01
Abars01

Today I tried to ring my local MP, Adam Bandt, to congratulate him for condemning the ban, but got his secretary instead. Nevertheless, she thanked me for the congratulation and said she’d pass it on to him. He’s hosting an emergency meeting on Sunday to discuss what citizens of the countries listed by the ban residing in Australia should do, and if no protests take place that same weekend, I’ll attend the meeting. I asked whether it would be possible to discuss initiating some protests in Australia – and thereby motivating Turnbull to take people’s letters more seriously – at the meeting, and she said it would be.

I’ve also got some more ideas for people I could write to, but I’d like clarification as to whether they’re appropriate:

* The Australian ambassador to the US. To either congratulate them for condemning the ban if they have, or condemn them for not condemning the ban if they haven’t. I’m not sure, though, if ambassadors are allowed to comment on the policies of the countries they’re ambassadors to.

* The Queen. To ask her to break protocol and express political opinions just this once, owing to Trump’s particular odiousness, by condemning the ban and refusing to receive him. I suspect, though, that this would be completely futile unless literally millions of Commonwealth citizens similarly wrote to her.

* Obama, Clinton and Sanders. To tell them I’m still with them and ask them to not just retire, but rather to keeping fighting and lead the resistance against Trump. I suspect, though, that it’d be more effective/appropriate for Americans to do this.

What do people think?

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

@IP
Looks tasty!

@Scildfreja
I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. I come for the misogyny mockery and the like-minded company. I always go away knowing more than when I came. And about such varied topics! Now I know about canola. Thank you.

(A few years ago, some one asked me “how do you know so much about so many things?” I’m still trying to find a polite way of saying “I read” – at the moment, I rely on “my brain is good at retaining inconsequential facts”.)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ weatherwax

“how do you know so much about so many things?”

I must confess a fondness for the wonderfully snarky line in ‘Lake Placid’

“They hide information like that in books”

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

@Abars01

Re the Queen, I understand why you say it, but the only way as a Republican I can be comfortable with the continued monarchy is by her continued silence. On everything. But I believe you’ll enjoy what Charlie has been up to.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

@Alan Robertshaw

Love it!

kupo
kupo

@Scildfreja
I knew it was another word for rapeseed oil, but didn’t know it was an abbreviation. Interesting! Also, am I the only one annoyed when people refer to canola oil as “grapeseed” oil?

tim gueguen

The Saskatchewan town of Tisdale had “The Land of Rape and Honey” as its town motto/slogan until 2015, despite more than one attempt to change it. Rapeseed and canola are commonly grown in the area, and honey production is also a local staple. Supposedly Ministry’s album of the same name was inspired by someone in the band seeing the logo on a Tisdale souvenir cup. In August of 2016 Tisdale adopted the slogan “Opportunity Grows Here.”

eli
eli

There is such a thing as grapeseed oil. It’s another neutral oil. I use it all the time.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

@tim gueguen

I’ve had some wine so I feel compelled to share with the world that my home town, Reading (pronounced like Otis, rather than literacy), 40 miles west of London, was known for Bulbs, Biscuits & Beer. The three major industries at one point were Sutton Seeds (a Quaker family), Huntley & Palmer (again, a Quaker business) and Courage brewery (no idea how they snuck in under the wire with all the teetotal Quakers; maybe the workers weren’t as convinced).

No clue why anyone needed to know that.

ETA Oh, and I went to Alfred Sutton Primary School. A name lost in the mist of history, except for the Seeds thing.

Faerie Bard
Faerie Bard

Hello, I’ve been lurking here for about a year now. I’ve enjoyed the mocking, the cats and other furry animals, and the enlightenment I have gained. I haven’t said anything, but reading through your posts at least reassures me that I am not alone in this nightmare. So thanks, to all of you, for that. I’ve struggled with shyness and social anxiety my whole life, but lately I have been trying to push myself out of my comfort zone and into action. I feel at this point, there is no choice but to speak up.

@LindsayIrene

Thank you for those fax links! I find it is much easier for me to speak out in written form than over a phone, yet I was worried that snail mail is too slow and emails are too easy to ignore. Harder to ignore a fax!

MillenniumCrow
MillenniumCrow

Something I do to keep my spirits up is read positive/uplifting political commentary. I’m a fan of John Scalzi’s and I’ve seen him linked here before, here are his first musings on Trump post-inauguration:

He seems to believe that Trump is generating so much resistance in such a short time that there’s no way he’ll last four years. I took from it the idea that Trump is susceptible to fatigue just as much as we are, if not more so.

Falconer
Falconer

Vanity Fair is reporting that apparently, Steve Bannon is taking advantage of Jared Kushner and Ivanka’s devout observance of the Sabbath and goading Trump into implementing *his* agenda. Trump sure does seem more prone to tantrums in the early weekend.

Headologist
Headologist

@ IP

That looks, and sounds, amazing. I may have to copy you sometime because fried (faux)meat and potato balls are definitely something I need in my life right now.

@ Faerie Bard

What a wonderful nym! Welcome 🙂

Karalora

I haven’t been able to make calls for a few days due to having a bad cold. I know it’s no sin and I need to take care of myself first, but I still feel like I’m letting the team down.

LeftWingFox
LeftWingFox

Heh, I grew up in the middle of Canola country… lots of fields outside Edmonton in the summer run bright yellow with canola and blue with flax. Didn’t hear about “rapeseed” until college.

The conversation about canola also reminded me a little of a political fic I was writing about two friends discussing morality over french fries.One of the two “briefly wondered what a canola was.”

(Sorry haven’t been around much, had a backslide into depression recently; the massive bolus of awful trump is forcing down America’s throat hasn’t been helping either)

tim gueguen

Hate to bum anyone out more, but someone might like to know. John Wetton, bassist/vocalist for Asia, King Crimson, and UK, has died of cancer at 67. He was a tough guy, having also been dealing with heart problems and arm/shoulder problems that left his picking hand numb, but still gigging when he was able to.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

whee, temperature of 103.3 degrees right now \o/ fortunately i tend to be pretty lucid throughout pain and illness, so it can be a good time for creative thinking.

(Just for the love of god do not ask me to math anything. I will prove P=NP by infinite regression, or something stupid like that)

@Faerie Bard, welcome! And please find your free-of-charge complimentary gift basket on the right. It is filled with scented candles. They smell like misandry!

Also welcome to anyone else new!

Take your me-time, everyone. Don’t feel bad for not contributing if you are unable to. The next couple of years are gona be rocky and chaotic, but your voices will be heard. I’m feeling like the progressives and democrats and liberals and lefties are gonna crush the House and the Senate in 2 years.

Also, someone somewhere posted a blog post from Scalzi, with a great point – Trump hates this. Odds are good that he may resign if you keep the pressure up. Or at least the odds are present.

Feeling frightened, but a little positive. Outcry isn’t letting up against the Trump administration. Keep calling, go to town halls, go to offices! You can do it guyse!

Falconer
Falconer

@Faerie Bard: Welcome! Have you had a welcome package yet? It’s over on the right, just under “Mammothy Fun” and above the mammoth picture!

@Scildfreja: I hope you feel better soon!

I feel like we can harangue Trump out of office, or at the very least make it not fun enough to run again, even though he’s already filed his candidacy for 2020. Which is Not Normal. I’m just worried that the momentum may die down if they lay off and lay low for a while.

EDIT: And if, heaven forbid, we have another 9/11, Trump’s support may skyrocket.

epitome of incomprehensibility

@Abars01 – that’s great! @Everybody, Just wanted to say hi and send a bit of encouragement.

Although I guess you folks are the encouraging ones. I’ve been a bit down lately because work is busy and I’m not fast at things. But that’s not a big deal. Xenophobic violence is a big deal, and the terrorist attack in Quebec City still is a shock – six people died and others were injured at a mosque shooting. The murderer was a white guy who targeted Muslims, but Fox News made an “innocent” mistake and reported that he was Moroccan.

Okay. That part I’m not surprised about. I was a bit upset at the Montreal Gazette, though, for putting the word “terrorist” in quotation marks in its headline on Monday. My father pointed out that this was exercising caution because the shooter’s motives weren’t confirmed – and it was a quote – but it gave me a “white people aren’t really terrorists” kind of vibe.

@Faerie Bard – Welcome!

@Scildfreja – Get better soon! The last time my temperature was that high, I felt dizzy whenever I stood up. It was not fun.

Faerie Bard
Faerie Bard

Thanks, everyone. I sent out a wave of faxes to my senators, focusing on DeVos and Sessions for today. I’m from a red state, so I’m not sure how much good it will do, but I have to try. At minimum I suppose I am helping to keep their fax lines tied up.

I have been depressed and angry on and off since the election, and it didn’t help that many of my family members voted for that man. I’m probably pissing some of them off by finally calling out their BS! It’s scary for me, but it also feels good.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Scildfreja:

I did a wikipedia!

I had to look at the official definition from this source:

Apparently at least three species in genus Brassica have these low acid oilseed cultivars, which were first developed around 1970. Before that, Brassica seed oils had only limited use.

AFAIK, by far most the common canola species worldwide is B. napus, botanically called rape (Swedish raps, Finnish rapsi). This species also has a root vegetable form known as swede or rutabaga.

Another important canola species in very cold areas is B. rapa, botanically called turnip rape (rybs, rypsi). In Finland any locally produced canola is usually sold by the name rypsi. This species also has a root vegetable form (turnip) and several leafy vegetable forms (“Chinese cabbages” such as pechai, pakchoi and mizuna).

(/botany geek)

Croquembouche of patriarchy
Croquembouche of patriarchy

Re: https://twitter.com/TrumpDraws
The short feathered vulgarian turkey is particularly wonderful.

Alan Robertshaw