#ResistTrump actual activism Islamophobia

#ResistTrump today by calling and/or marching against the Muslim ban

Found on Twitter

Let’s keep the momentum going!

CALL YOUR MEMBERS OF CONGRESS

You can find the contact info for your representative here, and for your senators here.

See what they’ve said or done about the Muslim ban here.

See my posts here and here for information and advice on how to make your calls and emails effective. If making these sorts of calls is tough for you, here’s some advice on calling politicians if you have social anxiety.

If you already left a message for your MoC’s this weekend, it’s perfectly fine to call again.

Or you can call about something else. 5Calls.org has suggestions.

Emails help as well, but calls are more effective.

MARCH AGAINST THE MUSLIM BAN

Here’s a list of protests TODAY, posted by a reliable anti-Trump Twitter account.

Check Facebook before heading out to make sure there these are legit and to see if there have been any changes/cancellations.

Sorry I didn’t get this list up earlier!

PLAN FUTURE PROTESTS

Go HERE to register.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

At that point, I have to ask : is there a list of such events in Paris or Lisbon ?

kupo
kupo

My state is suing. All of my representatives have spoken out, too.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

1st call done. Taking a quick break and moving on to the next Senator

@kupo
Yay!

Ooglyboggles

@kupo
Can confirm, I tried to call my constituents but they’re all either in session or the line is too busy.
@Axe
Every bit helps.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Oogly

Every bit helps

Thanks, fam! Call the 2nd is complete. That’s gonna be all for today, methinks. 5calls is awesome even if ya don’t do all 5 calls

Also, important:
I made 1 call on the Muslim ban and 1 on DeVos

Hambeast (fan of diversity)
Hambeast (fan of diversity)

I took a baby step today and snail-mailed my Republican congressman today about Orange Julius Caesar’s flouting of the U.S. Court’s stay of his Muslim ban. It was pretty short and I tried to stay on the one point because it’s fucking freaking me out.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Washington leading the way, thats great @kupo. I hope many, many more join the suit.

lkeke35
lkeke35

I took a baby step and dontated to the ACLU. I may make it a monthly event. I can’t go out and March or protest as I am dealing with family health issues (and the winter storms are killing us up here) .

But I am so proud of so many Americans today. They’re really standing for their Muslim brothers and sisters, and I’m so glad to see that. I don’t care about motivations either as long as they do it. Everyone is keeping up the momentum, and calling, and marching, and letting politicians know how displeased we all are with this situation.

And I’m proud of all you guys here for your dedication, and empathy, and compassion. After the election I was very disheartened. I had NO faith in humanity. I had none for white ppl at all, but lately I’ve been humbled by their activism. A lot of you are truly getting this!

Now! White ppl can seriously say with all truthiness: # Not all white people! (And I will not give the side-eye.)

Abars01
Abars01

Say, folks, remember how I said yesterday that I’d send Malcolm Turnbull an email stating that I wouldn’t vote for him again if he didn’t condemn the ban? Well, I’m gonna do it. Below is my draft. Unless anyone has criticisms or suggestions, I’m going to send it (go easy on me, I’ve never written a letter to a government official before):

“Dear Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull,
On January the 27th, Donald Trump, President of the United States, issued an executive order that, among other things, prohibits citizens of 7 majority-Muslim nations from entering the United States. Then, on the 30th of January, you elected not to condemn him for this order, stating: “It is not my job as Prime Minister of Australia to run commentary on the domestic policies of other countries.”

Shame on you! Donald Trump’s executive order is racist, xenophobic, discriminatory, unfair, heartless, callous, rash, haphazard, unconstitutional and a violation of everything that the United States of America supposedly stands for. It is alternately massively inconveniencing or outright endangering the lives of millions of innocent civilians throughout the world. It is creating bureaucratic nightmares for airlines, airports and immigration officials throughout the world. It is spurring the radicalization of disaffected Muslim youths and causing the ranks of ISIS to swell. It is encouraging and legitimizing anti-Muslim hate crimes, such as the recent shooting at the mosque in Quebec City. It is sullying international diplomatic relations. It is the target of massive public opposition, as evinced by the protests against it taking place throughout the United States. It is contributing nothing to the safety of the United States – Trump’s sole motivation for proposing and instigating it, I fear, is to attempt to pander to the portion of the United States’ electorate that is prejudiced against Muslims.

If Australia is uncritical of an act of such calibre, then Australia is complicit in an act of such calibre. I, as an Australian, do not condone this act, and neither, I am certain, do millions of other Australians. Donald Trump has made numerous statements critical of the United States’ allies. If it is acceptable for the leader of the United States to make statements critical of its allies, then surely it is acceptable for the leaders of its allies to make statements critical of the United States. Thus; if you do not reverse your stance and issue a statement condemning Trump for this act within the near future, I will not be voting for you, or the Liberal Party of Australia, again.

Yours sincerely, a concerned citizen.”

hippielady
hippielady

@Abars01 Nicely done. A+ 🙂

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Can confirm that the Louisville event is real. It was actually organized by Mayor Fischer’s office. Louisville’s elected leadership is very pro-immigrant and I haven’t heard a peep out of even the Republicans to support the ban.

@Abars01

Remember that the standard you walk past is the standard you accept. Might be pertinent that it was an Australian who said that.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

It looks good Abars! Only thing I would suggest is that you mail it as well, by regular post, if you are able. They often don’t read emails (at least not here) whereas a physical letter is somewhat more difficult to ignore.

Unrelated but awesome: They’re knocking down a barricade at Standing Rock! it’s prevented emergency vehicles from reaching the water guardians, and it’s prevented the water guardians from reaching the oil pad. It’s where the water spraying truck was parked. It’s coming down!

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@lkeke35, I’ve read your posts for a long time now – years certainly. You’ve always been so eloquent at expressing your frustration, and you’ve taught me a lot. It brings tears to my eyes that you would say that. thank you.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Abars01
Stirring, moving, but perhaps unconvincing. Maybe add a little something related to how this affects Australia or Australians. Were there any Aussies detained for example? Turnbull’s excuse is that it’s got nothing to do with him. Show him otherwise. Fantastic job, keep it up!

mywall
mywall

@kupo

Looks like the justice department isn’t going to defend it. That’s good, right?

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

I’m back from a protest in Brighton (UK), which had a phenomenal number of attendees given 24 hours’ notice. It also spontaneously turned into a march (you need to give 6 days’ notice to agree a march with the police), which the police facilitated.

On the ACLU, I’m astounded and heartened to read that their annual online donations are $4m, and they received $24m this weekend.

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

We have a new hero!

Sally Yates, the acting Attorney General has instructed government lawyers not to defend the travel bans.

“I am responsible for ensuring that the positions we take in court remain consistent with this institution’s solemn obligation to always seek justice and stand for what is right. At present, I am not convinced that the defense of the executive order is consistent with these responsibilities nor am I convinced that the executive order is lawful.”

Go, Sally.

The Dread Vampy
The Dread Vampy

I marched today in Edinburgh. The crowds marching have only got bigger since last week, it was legitimately incredibly uplifting to see how many people of different ages, races and backgrounds were out tonight. Did a bit to revitalise my faith in humanity

Abars01
Abars01

Welp, edited and sent the email. Later, I’ll buy and send a letter as well. Plus, I’ll ask my parents to write ones as well. (They probably won’t – they don’t support him, but they seem to have a pretty blasé attitude to his antics – but remember that another thing that everyone needs to do is spread the word, recruit new members, and ask their families/friends/classmates/co-workers to join in too.) I’d also like to start a protest, for their doesn’t seem to be one in Melbourne, but I don’t really know how to go about doing that. I have no clout – I’m just an anonymous nobody – and I have no experience at such things. Plus, Melbourne’s airport is notoriously difficult to get to-and-from.

authorialAlchemy
authorialAlchemy

I’m living that protester life!

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I’d like to thank everybody here who is marching in protest. I can’t. I’m physically incapable of that much exertion right now. (Stupid post-stroke fatigue.) I’m doing what I can on the cyberfront, but you’re doing so much more.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Karalora

I’m sorry to say I’ve had to put my activism on hold for today. I have a wicked cold sapping my energy and giving me a frog in the throat and a cough.

Headologist
Headologist

I didn’t make it to the protest at Downing Street…. Because there were so many protesters they shut down the transport system (and I’m unable to walk much right now.) I’ve never been so pleased to miss a protest.

Also I know one of the organisers of the Edinburgh protest. Estimates are ~5000 people in what was organised in a day. We are all very proud, of her and of the people in both cities.

kupo
kupo

@Victorious Parasol
The support from you and the other international commenters is really, really helpful to me. You may not feel like you’re doing much, but having this level of support that I have here and don’t even have on my (recently trimmed) Facebook feed* helps give me strength I know I wouldn’t have otherwise. And knowing that support spans the globe gives me hope.

*Most of my FB friends are supportive, but there have been some anti-protest sentiments recently, especially after the airport protests.

gijoel
gijoel

I’m an Australian and I called my local Federal MP to express my thanks that his party (Labor) has condemned the ban.

Thanks Dave for linking to the cartoon for social phobics.

tim gueguen

Trump has fired Sally Yates. The official White House press release about the firing accused Yates of betraying the Justice Department.

kupo
kupo

Totes adorbs resistance fighters: https://www.twitter.com/ResistKitten

Falconer
Falconer

I suppose we should feel relieved that they’re not offering Yates a blindfold and a last cigarette.

Silly me, I thought her being the only one who could sign FISA warrants would protect her until Sessions was rubber-stamped and sworn in.

Banananana dakry
Banananana dakry

I tried to get through to Sens. Feinstein and Harris, but both their DC and LA offices were ringing off the hook. Embarassingly, I called a consignment store in Santa Monica by accident somewhere in there and blurted out my lines before I realized my mistake. *headdesk*

Also, a friend of mine reffed me this thing:

Let’s do this! I was able to get through, take the poll, and leave a message. You will have to sit thru some serious anti-ACA propaganda, worded to confuse people into voting “no.” Don’t fall for it. Follow the instructions below to the letter and you’ll be fine.

Paul Ryan’s office is conducting a phone poll, hoping to hear overwhelming opposition to the Affordable Care Act. Here’s how you can participate:
Call 202-225-3500. There will be a silence for about 30 sec-1 min- DO NOT HANG UP. There’s a menu of several choices. (You will think you called the wrong number. You didn’t.)
Press 2 and you’ll hear a recording about the bill to repeal it.
Then Press 1 when prompted to SUPPORT continuing the Affordable Healthcare Act
I just did this. Please do it and pass the word!
Copy and paste to share.

I did get through on this and supported the ACA. I had to resist a MASSIVE urge to leave a message on voicemail to tell him to get stuffed and where he wanted his thirty dimes sent. >:(

Banananana dakry
Banananana dakry

@kupo

Resist Kitten is best kitten. <3

tim gueguen

It was two for one firing night in Trumpland, with Daniel Ragsdale, acting director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement(ICE) getting canned as well.

Abars01
Abars01

…and now I’ve sent a hardcopy version of my email. Also, I asked my parents if they’d write letters themselves, and they said they’d think about it. Tomorrow, I’ll ring my MP, Adam Bandt, to thank him for condemning the ban. Apparently, Bandt is hosting some emergency meeting on Sunday to discuss what citizens of the countries listed by the ban residing in Australia should do. I think I recall hearing at the protest I went to last week that there’d be a follow-up protest on Saturday two weeks hence, but I haven’t heard anything else about that yet. If the protest is on, I’ll go to it, but not the meeting. If the protest isn’t on, I’ll go to the meeting. I’m afraid I don’t have the energy to go to both. (I should mention that the meeting sounds more as if it’s for people effected by the ban than for protestors.)

I must say, these Trump shenanigans are certainly motivating me to do things I’d never otherwise have done. Until a few weeks ago, I’d never have dreamed I’d attend a 60/70s-style left-wing protest march, or write a letter to the Prime Minister. Here’s to hoping that more people are motivated to become more active as such, and that this is enough to both suppress Trump’s efforts, and to vote him out in 2020.

Middle Aged White Guy

On phone calls and emails…. is it better to keep calling on the same subject, or switch them up?

I’ve got McCain as my Senator so thought it best to just keep hammering Immigration, but am worried same guy calling on same thing wouldn’t have an impact after a while.

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

I really wish there were international marches against this travesty. I would jump into the fray in a heartbeat. Fuck Trump & Co. and their collective xenophobic asses.

Just chiming in to give my support to all of you fighting the good fight. Whether you’re marching, calling, composing e-mails, something else or all of the above or just cheering on the people who do these things, you’re awesome and the work you do matters. Ignore the cries for silent acceptance. Keep undermining the Cheetotalitarian at every turn.

comment image

Lord Pabu
Lord Pabu

Speaking of resistance, has anyone heard of this? http://www.dailydot.com/irl/witch-is-back/?llid=X7rwV&ls=dd&type=cpc&campaign=X7rwV

“Originally founded in 1968, the Women’s International Terrorist Conspiracy from Hell (the acronym was changed based on the protest, such as the Women’s International Troublemakers Conspiracy from Hell or Woman Imagining Theoretically Creative Happenings) is a group that argued women should fight not just to dismantle the patriarchy, but a number of left-wing causes. They dressed as witches, passed out leaflets and protested in the streets, “hexing” institutions of power.”

I sort of really love them. Now I’m thinking I should find a pattern for knitted witch hats to go along with my knitted pussyhats. And cats and witches totally belong together, so I’m lovin’ the over-arcing theme.

Let this be the year of unprecedented, undying activism. I am so inspired by everyone! Those of us who believe in compassion are throwing some serious wrenches in the gears of hate with this latest string of protests, and there are more already scheduled for the weeks ahead. This is a terrifying time to be alive, but I have never before seen such fire in my allies and it’s been a long time since I’ve felt so proud of my fellow citizens.

And now, to team up with Anarchonist with the cute dog memes.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Falconer:

Is this the modern equivalent of circular firing squad?

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

I sent off a letter to Turncoat as well, though mine was a lot less eloquent. =P Basically emphasising that, even if he’s a disgusting and/or spineless enough person to not care about the lives of refugees, he’s still playing the wise monkey to an incestuous child-raping neo-Nazi with a raging boner for nuking his own citizens, what the blithering ultrafuck. Just, y’know, not in those exact words.

There’s also a Change petition here, if any other Aussies want to sign it.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Also, it’s been leaked that Trump is preparing to sign another unconstitutional EO, this time doing to LGBT+ people what the first one did to Muslims.

Sigh.

Middle Aged White Guy

@David

Good news, though!? (small things)

It was something like 2 or 3 AM in DC when I was trying to call McCain. Couldn’t get thru, and when I finally did the tape said “Due to the high volume of calls”.

They start doing that directly to US Citizens, it WILL be civil war, literally.

And anyone see this? Lays out the worst nightmare, and makes clear how it really, really could happen: “How to Build an Autocracy”

Middle Aged White Guy

Ha! And can’t leave a message w Flake, “that mailbox is full”.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ lord pabu

This is Harry Dog. I’m sure someone can make a meme using him.

(We’d just been swimming, he doesn’t always dress like that)

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

For boycotting purposes (or rather, for trying to work out which companies to boycott):

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

They start doing that directly to US Citizens, it WILL be civil war, literally.

I dunno, remember that the Hitlersturbating assholes who voted for this vaingloryhole don’t consider us to be US citizens. Or even human.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

@MAWG

It doesn’t matter if you call multiple times with the same script. Staffers are only counting how many people call for vs. against a proposal, and check you out only if they suspect you are not a constituent. Unless you have a super unusual name, they won’t even remember you day to day.

I would advise against calling multiple times a day for the same issue, but for different issues it is fine, and calling multiple days is also fine.

Of course, as you’ve discovered, the hard part right now is actually getting through. I suspect the Republicans are just not picking up the phone right now and letting everything ring to voicemail, like a person with debt collectors calling them constantly might do.

LindsayIrene

Fax Zero will send free faxes to your senators and congresscritters:

Representatives

Senators

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

They’re even blocking people who were adopted from these countries as infants. We have many Swedes who were born in Iran and adopted very early, who are now automatically sorted as TERRORISTS by the Trumpist regime. Bleh.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Alan

The caption reads:

My ship sank in the Mediterranean and I’m the only survivor. Woof!

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ IP

I was going to suggest that he should have sunk off the Grand Banks, because he’s a Labrador! But then I remembered he’s more of a retriever.

In other news, it’s weird that two of the best sources of anti Trump stuff are now Teen Vogue and Duffel Blog, but here’s DB’s latest:

Trump’s Executive Order Forgets To Issue Travel Ban On Islamic State

WASHINGTON — Top U.S. officials sheepishly admitted today that their comprehensive ban on more than seven Muslim-majority nations from traveling to America had inexplicably failed to include residents of the Islamic State.

The ban, which was issued on Friday, covers all citizens of Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Yemen, the Nation of Islam, and the International House of Pancakes.

However, it does not include the Islamic State, the world’s premier capital of terrorism and jihad, which holds territory in most of eastern Syria and western Iraq.

Just hours after the ban took effect, a planeload of 120 ISIS fighters disembarked at Dulles International Airport and passed by a phalanx of immigration officials who were busy shoving several elderly Syrian women and a special needs Iraqi child into a van.

The ISIS fighters said they were in America to help institute Shariah law in Oklahoma, create several new execution videos, and perhaps, crash their plane into the first building to attract their fancy.

Officials from the Department of Homeland Security criticized the media for taking the event out of context, and said that any complaints that the ban was not effective were “simply not true.”

They highlighted that just in the first hour of the ban, officials at JFK International Airport in New York had detained an Iranian mathematician with a briefcase full of Arabic numerals.

White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus condemned media outlets for claiming that the ISIS fighters were able to “just stroll through customs.”

Priebus said the group was forced to wait a full hour to enter the U.S. after one of their members filled out on his customs declaration that he was bringing fruits and vegetables into the country.