#ResistTrump actual activism trump

#ResistTrump today by urging congress to treat him like a failed president

Mike Pence, his family, and possibly some demons walk past nearly empty bleachers in the inauguration parade

Build on the momentum of this weekend’s massive protests by calling your members of congress with a blunt message: Trump’s behavior in the first several days of his presidency — from his belligerent inauguration speech to his petty and dishonest squabbling about crowd sizes — indicate that he is dangerously unfit and temperamentally unsuited to be president.

His plunging popularity and the massive size of the Women’s Marches against him represent a clear vote of no confidence in him from the general public.

We need to treat Trump like the failed president he will inevitably be. And we need to convince our elected representatives to do the same.

Tailor your message depending on which party each of your elected representatives belong to.

If they are Democrats (or independents who caucus with Democrats):

Find out if they boycotted the inauguration. (Here’s what I think is a fairly complete list of congresspeople who boycotted; no Senators joined in, AFAIK.) Thank them if they did; express your disappointment if they didn’t.

Urge them to stop treating Trump like a legitimate president, and to block every single thing he puts forward from this point onward. Urge them to vote no on every single one of Trump’s cabinet picks.

If they are Republicans:

Tell them that you think Trump is too dangerous and erratic a person to run the country — and have their hands on the nuclear codes. Note that Trump’s popularity is crumbling and his inauguration weekend was a disaster. The sooner they break with Trump, the less Trump-stink will cling to them once his presidency inevitably implodes.

Tell them to start by voting against Trump’s cabinet picks. (You might mention one or two picks you find especially unfit and/or reprehensible. See my #ResistTrump posts about his various picks for more info.)

Obviously, tailor your message however you want; these are just suggestions that I think will help carry the message of the Women’s March into the world of practical politics.

You can find the name and contact info for your representative here, and for your senators here.

See my posts here and here for information and advice on how to make your calls and emails effective. If making these sorts of calls is tough for you, here’s some advice on calling politicians if you have social anxiety.

We’ve got the momentum on our side. Let’s not lose it!

megalibrarygirl
megalibrarygirl

You can also fax your representatives here: https://faxzero.com/fax_senate.php

Apparently, a call is better than a fax, but a fax is better than an email… in terms of the weight they assign them in most offices. (This sounds pretty arbitrary, but most people seem to agree.)

I’ve been doing all 3 if I have the time. If you can’t get through to the DC office, call the senator or representative’s local office. 🙂

Moocow

It sickens me how Trump’s bullshit is being treated as business as usual. Somehow I thought the blatant violations of ethics would raise a few eyebrows, even among conservative congressmen. Of course I also believed that conservatives congressmen had integrity.

Also, unrelated to this post but I can’t not post this: https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2017/01/23/alt-right-event-seattle-devolves-chaos-and-violence-outside-truth-twisting-inside

Fuck milo and his ‘alt facts’, a protestor outside his hatespeech event was SHOT, he’s trying to flip the script.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

Not really OT; the gag rule is back.

This man is so vile, he doesn’t even have the inventiveness to come up with new horrible ideas.

Ahh shit.

I’ll go one better, Weatherwax. For certain horrible values of “better”.

H.R.586 – To provide that human life shall be deemed to begin with fertilization.

This is worthy of a #ResistTrump article, I think. Also, worthy of a lot of screaming.

Georgians, it’s your turn up at bat. Here’s the guy who introduced this horrible bill:

Excuse me, time to go take care of that screaming.

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)
EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

Excuse me, time to go take care of that screaming.

It’s dangerous to go alone. Take this.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes

The day after the Woman’s March. The one that brought millions to the streets across the entire world. It’s hideous, but the Republicans can push it through. It’s unconstitutional, but the Supreme Court’s divided. It’ll mean misery for millions, but the carrion-feeders will have something to crow about.

Democrats, you have a fucking job to do. It’s go time, assholes. Here’s where we see whether you have what it takes to fight this home-grown despot. God help us all of you don’t, because I dread to think of what’ll happen otherwise.

I’m much more in the mood to take the 40 Ronin with me than the Armies of the West right now.

Guest
Guest

@Moocow

A video of the shooting:

kupo
kupo

@Scild
Holy mother earth. What the everliving fuck? I hope PZ chimes in again with his info about how complicated “at fertilization” is to even define biologically.

I’ll start sending used menstrual products directly to the white house for inspection to determine if fertilization occurred. If that’s a life then an investigation must go into any death, no?

Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Don’t forget to report them in your tax deductions as dependents.

The Republicans don’t care about the actual science. The time for using rational discourse is quickly coming to an end. They’ve got an endless supply of “alternative facts” to disregard anything they’re told, and have the political means to push through what they want if the Democrats don’t fight like hell. You’re the last line of defense, Dems. Don’t screw this up.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Addendum: PZ and the gang at FTB need financial help to defend themselves against a litigious asshole; if you can, hop over to Pharyngula and give’m a hand. Even if it’s just sharing a link to their story and the GoFundMe. Which is here.

Jayne
Jayne

I . . . don’t even know what to say. It seems like overnight the US has gone from the country I spent my childhood in to a dangerous dictatorship.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

@Scildfreja

Holy hell, it’s impossible to articulate just how much these people hate women, isn’t it? And they’re puzzled why we march. Is it because they don’t understand how we are responding in a measured and peaceful manner? Here’s the answer; we’re adults, not toddlers (no disrespect to actual toddlers, just those aping toddler behaviour after their fifth birthday).

Just… Yuck.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I guess it’s time to incorporate my uterus so the GOP will leave it the fuck alone.

kupo
kupo
Banananana dakry

I did call my GOP Rep’s office today. And had all the coherence and aplomb of an Alsatian after a head-swap operation and blathered mostly something about ‘this man is bad don’t go with him’, but gosh darn it, given how much I dread phones, I DID IT.

I also emailed Sens. Feinstein and Harris on my concerns. I think much better in text, sadly. But damn it, I did it.

I’m trying to use this to make myself feel better about all the feces coming down the turnpike regarding the Tangerine Tiny-handed Toddler Turdmuffin.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

@Banananana dakry

Good for you. Good for all of us for not giving up altogether. Every little helps (even if it’s hiding under the duvet today; there’s still tomorrow).

Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Good job, @dakry! If you think you do better in text, maybe try writing your thoughts first, then phone and just read what you’ve written? Not sure if that’ll really work for you, but maybe it’ll help. I always write things out before I make a serious call at least.

no kiddin’, @kupo. Here’s the short list:

H.R.595 – To amend the Federal Reserve Act to reform the Federal Reserve System.

a.k.a. let’s make sure #NoDAPL doesn’t happen again.

H.R.594 – To establish the Securities and Derivatives Commission in order to combine the functions of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission and the Securities and Exchange Commission in a single independent regulatory commission.

a.k.a let’s make sure our regulatory bodies are as small, inefficient and corruptible as possible.

H.R.589 – Department of Energy Research and Innovation Act

a.k.a. let’s make sure our shitty big-business science secretary has an easy time cutting funding to anything that doesn’t provide an immediate economic payoff. (This one actually has the bill submitted and it’s not terrible, but in the hands of the current appointees it’s as terrible as the rest)

H.R.590 – Advanced Nuclear Technology Development Act of 2017

a.k.a. let’s solve the energy crisis by building a whole bunch of fucking nuclear power plants, ’cause that’s never caused problems. Not sure at the verbiage of this one, but it sounds like they’re talking about licencing them? As in, nuclear power provided by private companies?

Fuck these guys

Ooglyboggles

So media any chances of saying that these things are bad and will screw over millions of americans? No? You’re going to instead either ignore it or pretend there’s validity in them? I really hope that those democrats that killed the bill to allow people to get medication from Canada don’t end up facilitating this because certain parties are offering more campaign money.

Playonwords
Playonwords

January 20 has ex post facto been declared
NATIONAL DAY OF PATRIOTIC DEVOTION

Here’s the PDF

Yes, it’s real. Trump’s inauguration day has been renamed the NATIONAL DAY OF PATRIOTIC DEVOTION.

Can self issued medals for bravery or executions by anti-aircraft fire be far behind?

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen
Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen

Two links I found today, one OT, one a bit more OT for this thread.

The OT link (TW for rape): https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2017/01/23/father-son-duo-accused-of-rape-wants-only-law-book-that-truly-matters-at-trial-the-bible/?utm_term=.4e1cb4576ce7

Almost afraid to ask what laws in the Bible they think they’re going to use in their defense here. O.o I mean, the Bible is lots of things both good and bad, but not a good reference for laws governing modern society.

The more OT link: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/politics/a8624356/inauguration-deploraball-hillary-clinton-911-video/

Yes, the guy who filmed Clinton’s stumble at the NY 911 memorial was hailed as a hero by the good folks running the DeploraBall. And yes, the guy really does think he did a good thing for the US by doing that.

Ugh. >.<

@Scildfreja

In retrospect I probably should have written it down– it’d have certainly been more coherent. Sometimes, though, I need to mentally sidle up on something I need to do and then jump on it while it’s not looking lest I get cold feet. It’s not the prettiest plan, but this time it got something done. Better results next time.

God damn, but I hate calling people. Especially when my brain’s full of fuzz.

Jayne
Jayne

@redsilkpheonix
Those guys had better be really sure they won’t be found guilty; I’m pretty sure Old Testament biblical law calls for rapists to be stoned to death.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@dakry, brains don’t work very well when they’re full of stress and anxiety hormones, that’ll totally make you fuzzy. That’s okay! You got through it anyways! And I bet next time will be easier, and you’ll feel better afterwards. Jump on it if that’s what it takes! You can do it \o/

@Scildfreja

Actually I was still half asleep, as well, vampire sleeping hours. I would have waited to wake up, but that wouldn’t have made it any easier and just would’ve given me an excuse to procrastinate. I just would’ve felt worse if I’d procrastinated myself into not doing it. 😀 Thank you.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

Playonwords,

January 20th has been the Presidential Inaugeration Day since 1937, unless it falls on a Sunday, which is why Obama’s 2nd Inaugeration was on the 21st.

But yeah, the Ego has landed.

Patriotic *devotion*, though? What’s next? An official proclamation changing the title of President to “Dear Leader”?

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

Playonwords, I apologize; he didn’t make every January 20th the NATIONAL DAY OF PATRIOTIC DEVOTION. Just his Inaugeration Day.

Fuck me to tears.

@PeeVee

The First Dump’s hair certainly is on a Kim Jong Un level of hideousness.

I also exhibited my patriotic devotion to him on that day by being asleep. Or maybe peeing. ….urgh, wait, he *likes* pee…

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

Banananana dakry,

I read your story and I join the others in saying “well done!”

As an aside, I just completed a 24-hour urine collection for a lab test, and every time I went in the collection thingy that went over the toilet, I giggled. I thought of putting a pic of him on the underside, but damn, that’d be too juvenile, even for *me*.

I have also contemplated changing my username since those revelations came out, but you know what? Out of my own patiotic devotion to Trump, I’m going to leave it.

(I get thirsty every time I see your name, btw.)

@PeeVee

Don’t worry, I can be juvenile enough for both of us. >:)

Actually my handle is a Pratchett ref as a few people like Victorious Parasol know, but if you get thirsty reading it, that’s good too. 🙂

@Lindsay Irene

Chancellor Merkel according to the popular vote WE weren’t exactly wild about him either, and I’m terrified of any Trump we get. For what that’s worth.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

@Banananana

I know; you’re just not sure how to stop spelling banana! I’m currently rereading Witches Abroad, as it’s the perfect antidote to current affairs.

Pratchett handles of the world unite!

Kat
Kat

This video is intriguing. Trump seems very insecure here. Also, check out the difference between the way Trump greets Nancy Pelosi and the way Obama greets her. Of course, Obama has known her for a while, so that’s presumably why he kisses her. But really, Trump’s handshake with Pelosi looks like he’s trying to break her arm.

Inauguration: Donald Trump mimics Barack Obama as they walk out of White House

Outgoing and incoming presidents met at the White House before travelling to Capitol Hill

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@Banananana dakry

I am now imagining Nanny Ogg taking the measure of Donald Trump.

Let’s enjoy that thought, shall we?

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)
EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

I am now imagining Nanny Ogg taking the measure of Donald Trump.

On the off change that there are any necromancers in the community, I would really really like it if we could bring PTerry back just long enough to write a book in which Gytha Ogg and Esme Weatherwax tear an expy of Donald Trump into thin strips.

Just sayin’.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Well, they came close in Wyrd Sisters, though admittedly the duke was marginally more competent than Trump. And Melania is no duchess.

Moggie
Moggie

Sam Vimes would understand Trump instantly.

C.M.O.T. Dibbler would regard him as unfair competition.

Vetinari would find uses for him.

THERE’S ONE OTHER DISCWORLD CHARACTER I WOULD LIKE TO MEET HIM, BUT I WON’T SAY WHO THAT IS.

Pie
Pie

Wʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴇᴅ ɪs ᴀ sᴍᴀʟʟ ᴄᴀᴘs ᴛᴇxᴛ ɢᴇɴᴇʀᴀᴛᴏʀ. Aꜰᴛᴇʀ ᴀʟʟ, ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴇʀsᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ’ʀᴇ ᴛʜɪɴᴋɪɴɢ ᴏꜰ ᴅᴏᴇsɴ’ᴛ sʜᴏᴜᴛ, ᴀs ᴀ ɢᴇɴᴇʀᴀʟ ʀᴜʟᴇ…

numerobis
numerobis

Scildfreja:

H.R.590 – Advanced Nuclear Technology Development Act of 2017

I need to read more carefully the bill to see the awful catch, but this seems like a bill I could reluctantly support.

Nuclear energy is one way to get off fossil fuels. It’s very expensive and slow to build, because of all the safety requirements. Newer designs are far safer than older designs, so if you build a whole bunch of the new ones you’ll still only get a major problem every generation, like we do now.

So the downside: lose a small city every generation. The upside: greatly reduce carbon emissions.

It’s interesting that the GOP loves nuclear energy so much. It needs huge subsidies to be worth building, but once built it’s cheaper to operate than any fossil fuel plant, so it kills coal and natural gas. It’s almost like they aren’t actually sincere about their free market ideals.

“Licensing” is that the federal Nuclear Regulatory Committee (or some other C — acronym is NRC) gives a license to the plant before it’s allowed to get built, and again before it turns on, and at various other points. We have the same process in Canada, just with different acronyms.

Typically it is a private corporation that operates it. Canadian provinces mostly nationalized their electric companies, but not so much the rest of the world.

numerobis
numerobis

Moggie: I’m pretty sure HE is a republican.

Both parties bring him lots of work around the world, but the GOP is particularly effective.

Oh but I bet Trump would stiff him on payment.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Toshiba build nuclear reactors; including ones at the Fukushima plant.

That’s a reassuring thought next time your laptop fucks up.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

Kat,

It’s been said that Trump doesn’t like to shake hands because he’s a germaphobe. Most of his handshakes are very awkward-looking.

This is also an excuse some of the alt-right commenters are using as the reason the Russian pee dossier is false.

I’ve read that he has had to practice handshaking because he doesn’t normally do it.

Pie
Pie

It’ll be interesting to see where all the reactors get sited. Lots of scope on the west coast to get smooshed fukushima-style when the cascadia lets rip. Lots of opportunities to sink beneath the rising sea on the carribean coast and south east. The former largely affects democrat-voting hipster libtards though, so maybe it wouldn’t be seen as a risk as such.

I wonder if this is all just a stick to threaten the coal providers with, something that no-one has any intention of following through. Fun times ahead, there’s no doubt about that.

Moggie
Moggie

I’ll need to watch that video to see whether Pelosi’s hands are bigger than Trump’s.

occasional reader
occasional reader

Esme being canonically dead, it may be Tiffany Aching then ?
On another way, you can hardly do headology if there is none to apply first (hair does not count).
And is there already any representation of US in the Discworld ? There are expy for many places (XXXX for Australia, Agathean empire and the time monks hidden temple for Asia, Quirm and the surrounding for western Europe, Uberwald for eastern Europe, and other places i do not remember the used names like the one with pyramids, the one with “greek-like” philosophers, the jungle one and so on), but the only one i can connect to US is the Holly Wood stuff in Moving Pictures.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ pie

I wonder if this is all just a stick to threaten the coal providers with,

That’s an interesting thought. One of Trumps ‘Art of the Deal’ guiding principles is that you should always make clear in negotiations that you have an alternative (nothing revolutionary there of course, BATNA is a standard consideration). But who knows with Trump? It could be anything from being beholden to the nuclear industry to sticking two fingers up to the environmental lobby.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

Loving the transportation of Trump to Discworld. Although what have these beloved characters done to deserve it?

Seconding the Nanny Ogg takedown though.

ETA What about the baddy in Making Money whose name I’ve temporarily lost? Isn’t he a bit Trumpish? Right down to his fascination with the Patrician.

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)
EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

I had a good friend in university who was a very strident supporter of nuclear power on environmental grounds, and so chose to do his PhD into it. His opinion was that:

1) Unless renewable power manages to become vastly more reliable, nuclear is the only realistic alternative to hydrocarbons.

2) Nuclear power is far safer than hydrocarbon power once you take the mineral extraction process into account. (Coal mining is a horrible process.)

3) Nuclear waste is far less dangerous than a lot of the waste and byproducts produced by hydrocarbon power. (Deepwater Horizon, I’m looking at you.)

4) We need better nuclear reactor tech anyway, because that’s where we’ll be getting power once we go into space.

For these reasons, I’m cautiously in support of Trump’s nuclear program. However, I would append a fifth point which Smithers did not make, because he was more into the science and not the politics of it:

5) Government spending on one-off construction projects is often used as a cover for graft.