#ResistTrump actual activism feminism trump

Did you protest Trump? Share your story!

Who’s got two middle fingers and opposes Trump? This gal!

An estimated 2.5 million people, mostly women, marched today against Trump worldwide. Others protested yesterday. Were you one of them? Share your story, share your pictures and videos in the comments! Or any good photos and videos you’ve run across online.

I think what we’ve got here is a real mass movement.

No trolls or Trump fans in this thread, please.

iknklast
iknklast

I signed up for the march in Lincoln; unfortunately, yesterday, I had a freak accident, and can’t walk. So I’m grounded.

But I did visibly protest the inauguration by wearing my cat ears (pussy ears) all day yesterday – and when anyone asked (as most did, though a few just stared), I explained I was protesting the president who brags about grabbing them “in the pussy”. Got a lot of support.

ScarlettAthena
ScarlettAthena

I was in Trenton, NJ, where an estimated 6000 turned out at the war memorial with a march to the state house. The crowd and speakers were diverse, lots of men and children were there, lots of pink hats.

I really enjoyed most of the speakers. We had representatives from lots of organizations like planned parenthood and NOW, our rep and some other politicians, a woman responsible for nearly all the LGBT legislation in our state, various religious leaders, immigration lawyers, and more.

I carried a planned parenthood sign.

Overall, the mood was optimistic and cheerful despite the chilly overcast day.

I hope these marches inspire further action: calls and letters to politicians, more marches, supporting vital organizations and standing up for one another against bigotry and stupidity.

We won’t go back!

authorialAlchemy
authorialAlchemy

I went to a protest and saw a guy with a Trump characticture costume that included a cardboard toilet. It said “Dump Trump” on the back of the water tank.

Abars01
Abars01

As stated in earlier threads, I went to the one in Melbourne yesterday, which was the first time I’ve ever been to a protest. At first, I was scared that there’d be neo-Nazi counter-protestors, or that I’d somehow become an alt-right meme like “Carl the Cuck” or “Trigglypuff” or someone, but there weren’t any counter-protestors, which I found rather encouraging. However; that was just the case for Melbourne, of course. Were there counter-protestors at marches anyone else went to? If so, what did they say/do?

Ginormica
Ginormica

Hey, ScarlettAthena, I was also at the Trenton march with a friend from my church. We had both wanted to go to DC but she couldn’t do that one physically. So we went to Trenton instead. I believe the turnout was three times what they had originally expected, and it was a pretty impressive sight!

authorialAlchemy
authorialAlchemy

#DumpTrump #WomensMarchDetroit A photo posted by IntergalacticHarbringerofDoom (@space_moggy) on Jan 21, 2017 at 8:48am PST

The costume guy.

Sporkey
Sporkey

Went yesterday evening. I don’t have pictures, but it was a peaceful march and a fairly large crowd in Milwaukee.

This is not my president. Nor my government. I’m tired of the rich white assholes who just want to pad their investments instead of thinking about the future, progress and advances be damned. They want to stay at the top of the mountain even if that mountain is made of the corpses of their victims.

This has got to stop. Bullies need to shut up.

Natalie
Natalie

I live in Australia and I would have attended the Sydney march – except I didn’t hear about it until it was over!! A couple of days ago I even googled to see if there was one happening. Must not have put in the right keywords because nothing came up. But I did stay up all night watching the live stream of the Washington rally. I know at least 4 people that were there.

ScarlettAthena
ScarlettAthena

@Ginormica,

It was impressive! We didn’t get into patriots’ theater! We were part of the crowd outside. We were pretty amazed that it filled up so quickly. I think we got there at 9:15 and it didn’t start till 10.

I was really encouraged by the turn out.

Amavra
Amavra

I was at the Denver march with estimates of 100-200,000 people!! It was so great! I saw so many wonderful signs. I keep playing this song on my speaker.

YV
YV

I went to a demonstration in Amsterdam, that protested both the inauguration of Trump, and our own Dutch equivalent of that monster – Geert Wilders (he even has the terrible hairdo). A terrifyingly popular politician who is very Islamophobic. He wants to ban the Koran and shut down mosques in the Netherlands, and years ago he proposed a tax on wearing the hijab (yes, really) and he wanted to deportate any Dutch citizen of immigrant decent with a criminal record. Shortly put, the guy is a racist maniac, and right now, he is leading in the polls.
The demonstration was larger than I expected, the Netherlands haven’t been a very protest-y country in a long while, but it seems that Brexit and the election of Trump formed a bit of a wake-up call.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

I got a tattoo to confirm my gender identity confusion. There was no women’s march or anti-Trump event in my city, but there was a protest against violations of asylum seekers’ rights. Sadly we both caught a fever and needed to cuddle up in bed for the rest of the day.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

I’m back from the London march. It was a fantastic day. Here are some thoughts.

The March was from the US Embassy in Grosvenor Square (in British memory, mainly famous for anti-Vietnam protests in the 60’s and the astoundingly imperialistic whopping great eagle leaning out of the building). We were there at 1140, and speakers started around 1200 although the only one I properly heard (due to amplification problems) was a wonderful Muslim woman who, amongst other things, paid tribute to Jo Cox. I can’t help thinking that part of the reason for the huge turn out in London was the frustration arising out of Brexit and its aftermath. But anyway…

The March started at around 1230. We were in the square itself (ie on the grass in the middle) and it took a LONG time to join the March on the street and even longer to leave the square. I was in front of the Embassy from 1140 to 1350. So I took 1 hour 20 to walk what usually takes 2 minutes tops. That might give you an idea of the crowds.

There was some fabulous banner work on display. My two favourites (amongst stiff competition) are “This is a Peaceful Protest. Unless we are all on our Periods at once.” and “We are in your homes. We are in your businesses. We have your kids.” Being London, we had a few self-effacing signs. I was marching with a “Down With That Sort Of Thing” (shout out to Father Ted fans), which got a lot of attention. I’ve also seen “Quite Annoyed” and “I’m Not Happy”.

Celebrity spots: I swear I saw Yvette Cooper (sorry to non-Brits who have no idea who she is, and Brits who have no clue either; she’s a politician, you may know her as Ed Balls’ missus), but there’s photo evidence that Gandalf/Magneto, Doctor Who and Bodhi Rook were all in attendance (aka Sir Ian McKellen, Peter Capaldi and Riz Ahmed – the pilot in Rogue One and all round star). I’d say male:female ratio was 25:75 and I’d have liked to see more BME faces, but all ages were represented. Plenty of Americans were here, and were welcome, whether here on holiday, here to study, here long-term or now in exile. There were a decent number of dogs (despite concerns of being trodden on) including my own Toby who did his best to keep the crowds feeling loved. There was also a cat, according to pictures, which is frankly astounding.

Judging from the Facebook page, there was a significant minority who had never marched before (including my friend and co-marcher). Lots of kids and the atmosphere was very positive. We counted 7 police officers for the entire March, which gives an indication. I saw one balaclava, but it was holes cut in a bobble hat (which displays a level of enthusiastic amateurism) and no unrest has been reported. I overheard a husband debate with his wife the feminist qualifications of the Spice Girls (“aren’t most of them Tories?”, “they are a symbol of what they were saying at the time”), so I interjected with ” If only ideologically perfect people get to protest, we’ll be protesting in a small room on our own” – they both agreed.

Reports are saying London was 80-100,000. I hope we all take this as fuel for future activism, rather than this being the sum total. I had IRL friends marching in Detroit and Canberra. Today has restored some hope for me.

Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy

I haven’t yet, but I’ll march in the Salt Lake City Women’s March on Monday, and return and report.

rogue angel
rogue angel

I marched last night in Seattle, after a rally put on by one of our local socialist groups. At one point, I heard some news-type tell a camera that it looked like we had about two hundred people marching. (I haven’t double-checked that, however.) We held up traffic at various points for a few miles and did a little die-in thing along the way before ending up at the University of Washington, but with support the whole time from people who were watching. Drivers honked their horns and waved, people on buses filmed us with their phones, we exchanged peace-sign gestures…that sort of thing.

So, yeah, about the shooting that happened–fortunately, I missed it by being part of a crowd that got there later. I still saw where the victim’s blood had spattered onto the ground, though.
Some Trump supporters lingered and shouted back at us. I saw a few, but only a few, and the rest of the crowd (socialists, anarchists, anti-fascists, and everyone else) outnumbered them by so much that I wasn’t surprised to see some of them leave.

I stuck around until it seemed like nothing was happening anymore, then left the campus to get water. I saw about three people rinsing their faces with milk (?) and crying and squinting like they’d been tear-gassed (no idea what had happened there), then briefly ran into a couple of Trump supporters who’d been there for the Milo thing. Then it was on to the nearest restaurant for food, water, and rest. (I guzzled my first two glasses of water before my sandwich showed up.)
I ended up getting home by about eleven p.m., sore and pumped-up at the same time.

Sorry for going on at length, by the way.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Wish I could have gone out. I also am hugely positive about what I’ve been hearing – wow! They’ve got the halls of power, maybe, but we’ve got everywhere else! I really hope that this inertia continues. Don’t let this become normal, everyone. Stay shocked.

It’s likely that protesting will become illegal in the US soon – there are a few states which are giving police the ability to clear roads and highways “by any means necessary”, effectively crippling the ability to march. The screaming turnip isn’t gonna slow that down at all. I don’t know what to do about that, but I do know that something has to be done about it.

Go get’em, everyone! Even if it’s just in little ways. We can do it!

@IP, ooh, what’s your tattoo? If you wanna share.

Ooglyboggles

You’re all doing a great thing with your efforts.
@Scildfreja Unnýðnes
“The only 1st amendment rights is the one that allows me to oppress you” /s

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Scildfreja

Transgender/NB symbol stylized as a combined pocket watch/compass. On the inside of my right wrist. My Otter drew it for my birthday. 🙂

I will take a picture once it’s healed.

CPphazor
CPphazor

My story? Bunch of my buddies commenting “why don’t they protest the Saudi regime or FGM?”

The best part? They’re mentioning this more today than any other time.

The US has a president and his cabinet who cast a shadow of uncertainty over gender relations. Just what will “there has to be some sort of punishment for the woman” pan out to mean? And how they intend to keep their main demographics committed?

Yet this, not any other time, is when my colleagues suddenly become vocal about FGM and the oppression of women in various regions of the world. And the butt of a collective logical fallacy no less. Anyone else get those kinds of comments?

rugbyyogi
rugbyyogi

My mom went to DC. My college roommate went to DC. My aunt was in San Fran. I had friends at NYC, Chicago, Charlotte, Atlanta, Sydney, OK City, Nashville, Knoxville and some tiny little town in Mexico – and I’m probably forgetting some! I was in London.

Unlike Weatherwax, I left Grosvenor square sometime around 12:30 because we just happened to be near an exit, but there were THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS ahead of me. It was massive. I’m no good at estimating crowd sizes. A friend of mine who was also there said she’d been to the Europe one in the summer and that was officially 50K, but she said this felt much bigger, so she thought the organisers’ estimate of 80-100K was probably right.

It was peaceful. Other than a bit of confusion leaving the start, it was well organised. I heard no official speeches.

There were very, very few ‘counter protestors’ and no trouble-makers. Because of my immigration status, I can’t get arrested and I sure as heck don’t want to get deported back to Trumpland and I was with my son, so my plan was always to get out of dodge if there was the least whiff of trouble. There was none. Cold but sunny. Some amazing signs – loads of people in high spirits.

I needed to do this for me. And I’m so glad I was part of the biggest protest I have ever heard of.

Dalillama: Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles.
Dalillama: Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles.

Not marching because I don’t do well in crowds and work is going to be hard enough on my bad leg. Our local march is staying in place because they can’t fit on the march route. Seems to be happening a lot of places :).

There was also a protest yesterday that went well into the night. That one was attacked with flashbangs and tear gas.

Bina

I couldn’t make it to any of the marches because the nearest one is in Toronto and I’m in the boonies (over an hour’s train ride away, which gets expensive since the GO trains don’t come out this far). So I’m watching all the other marches over the Internetwebpipes, and loving it. Kudos to all who made it out, and to all who didn’t, too. Keep up the fight on ALL fronts!

Fur Elly
Fur Elly

I marched in Ashland, Oregon. Tiny Ashland had the biggest crowd I had ever seen! Much enthusiasm, great sign-fu, and wonderful speakers. The organizers wanted to keep the tone positive and focused on women’s issues (which was not observed by some of the more hilarious signs/sign makers), so I went with a quote from a Renaissance play. Ashland is after all the home of America’s Shakespeare festival and it gave me the opportunity to let my nerdy/scholarly Renaissance freak flag fly! The quote: “I’m armed with more than complete steel,– The justice of my quarrel.” Frequently attributed in error to Christopher Marlowe, but more likely written by Thomas Dekker. See? I am a nerd!

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I couldn’t march today, but I’m collecting stories and photos.

comment image

Captain Bathrobe
Captain Bathrobe

My wife marched in our Bay Area community, while I took care of the kids. She wanted to bring the kids, but they really weren’t up for it. Maybe next time. It looked like it was a lovely march, with great feelings of solidarity and whatnot. Hope there are many more.

Mea
Mea

Marched today in Birmingham AL. There was an excellent turnout and a great variety of protesters but everyone was getting along great. I was happy to see a nice swath of age ranges there, as well as quite a few men among the crowd. There was even a woman who was born when the Voting Rights act was passed and was there to protest with us.

There were a number of speakers beforehand representing various groups for social change, including the mayor which surprised me a bit (in a good way). It was very organized and very peaceful.

All in all, it made my faith in humanity rise for the first time in months.

Went to Cardiff, as I’d bought my ticket before discovering there were marches in closer places (and apparently even a few people in my little city). Crowd was probably circa 1000, bigger than I’d expected, and I was too far away to hear any of the speakers, but I did hear when they (being Welsh) started singing:

AFAIK we didn’t have any big name performers, though Charlotte Church was apparently in the crowd with a funny sign.

Only saw one jovial cop.

I tweeted some of my pics and thoughts, and got some Twitter rando replying something like ‘it’s a shame you don’t take to the street to protest [bad things some people bigots hate do]’, and I just tweeted back ‘I hope you do!’

My favourite sign (not from Cardiff):

Oh, and best concept:

I wonder how all this will be framed/spun.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Unfortunately, my nearest march is 170 km of outback away and I don’t have any transport, but I printed out a bunch of links to the various things Trump’s done, from the Putin palliness to the child rape accusations, and just got back from pinning them up around town. Close enough.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

At the London UK march, somewhere vaguely towards the back of a crowd so big and so tightly packed that for quite a lot of the time it wasn’t really possible to move … and even so, there were a steady stream of people still arriving from the route and trying to get into Trafalgar Square.

Estimated attendance 100k.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

(not sure if this will post; if not, apologies for the blank!)
Took ages to even get into Grosvenor Square (which probably puts me about 10k people behind rugbyogi and weatherwax) and the road took us past the Argentinial embassy, so we had a little parenthetical protest on the way.

Karalora
Karalora

I just got back from the Los Angeles march. I don’t think accurate attendance numbers are in yet, but WAY more than anyone expected! The subways were PACKED. Let that sink in…in LOS ANGELES, the PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION was PACKED. They were running extra Red Line trains, an average of one every five minutes…still packed.

And yet 100% peaceful as far as I could tell. There were a handful of counter-protestors, but they didn’t start anything. Lots of pink hats, and not just on the gals. Lots of hopeful chanting in both English and Spanish. DIVERSITY galore.

I grouse a lot about this town, but today I was actually glad to be an Angelena.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

… from your descriptions, I reckon I must have been a good 10k people behind you at the very least, weatherwax and rugbyogi! 🙂

Scoots
Scoots

I went to a rally in Pasadena and then planned to come home. I had an evening event and knew I could not manage the march in LA and also the thing in the evening (oh, ok, it’s the opera), plus I am very bad with crowds. The Pasadena crowd was pretty big and then the lines at the Metro station to go into LA were NUTS. How nuts? Well, I could barely fit into the car going back home, and I was really puzzled about all these people going to Azusa, until I realized that they were riding to the end of the line so they could get on the next incoming train because all the Metro cars were full. Metro added extra-long train cars, but it didn’t matter.

My friends from the Harry Potter club who went said they could barely move. They all wore “Hermione” and “SPEW” shirts.

There are estimates of 750,000 people. Link to NBC Los Angeles article.

Trump said there “must have been a million and a half people” at his inauguration. He is, as usual, delusional.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

We happened to go past the Argentinian embassy on the way into Grosvenor Square …

Ray of Rays
Ray of Rays

Just got back from downtown San Diego for our march. Was a trip and a half actually getting downtown, since our public transportation is pretty limited, and the trolleys were inevitably crowded; my family made it down about ten minutes before the march actually started. Was a bit worried about the weather (we’ve been having minor flooding, with more promised to come), but after a bit of sprinkling (and a couple interspersed minutes of more intense rain), the sun came out and stayed out.

It was pretty heartening seeing so many people out, and I loved seeing all the signs (personal favorite: someone drew a stylized version of Bree Newsom taking down the Confederate flag). My parents and I didn’t quite make it to the endpoint of the march; we stopped a few blocks down from the county administration building to rest and eat lunch, then figure out how the heck we were going to get back home.

Apparently we had about 30,000 people march, three times as many as RSVP’d. Definitely something I needed to know, after the current white house news… >_>

Fred_the_dog
Fred_the_dog

I marched in my very red state, big turn out, no counter protesters great speakers. Lots of online trolls on the news websites, though — all that whining and complaining about how everyone else should stop complaining is pretty funny.

BritterSweet

I’m on my way home after marching in the Women’s March in Honolulu. I heard that at the same time there was another march related to protesting against Trump at U.H. at the same time. Plus a protest at the Trump hotel.

I don’t think I can post pictures here since they’re of other people. But despite the rain and wind I feel it was a success.

There were speeches given about women’s rights, education, healthcare (especially Planned Parenthood), and also the plight of the native Hawaiians, especially after the recent news of Mark Zuckerberg suing to buy hundreds of acres of Kauai.

Ledasmom
Ledasmom

Couldn’t quite make myself go to the closest protest, but thirteen of my hats went down to DC (assuming the designated hat transporter didn’t forget the bag). So I am not there, but some strands of my hair (it’s long and tends to get knit in by accident) made the trip. Waiting to hear about it, and hoping someone got pictures.

Dalillama: Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles.
Dalillama: Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles.

Roughly 1 person in 20 in the Portland metro area turned up for the march, which overspilled the park and filled transit downtown to the brim. One friend couldn’t get on a bus due to crowding, but a passing protester offered to share her uber.

Ginormica
Ginormica
Rhuu
Rhuu

Oops, should have checked to see if there was a new thread! As I said in the other one, this was my first march. There were so many people! Apparently 60 thousand?

Here’s a video of some of the Toronto march.

I took photos, but I’m hesitant about sharing them online as some have faces very clearly shown. Which is too bad, because I took a panorama of Nathan Phillips Square and it was packed with people, it looked really cool.

The speakers were all women, and mostly people of colour (barring one of the organisers). It started with a First Nations Elder blessing the crowd with Cedar and Sage. She explained what each meant, but I have a terrible memory… I do remember that they are both women’s medicines though, which I thought was a powerful touch.

One of the speakers was the first hijab wearing woman elected to public office in Canada, Asuma Malik. I both can’t believe that a woman wearing a hijab was elected to serve on a school board, and also that she is the FIRST in 2014. (TW: Islamophobia) She went through some things.

I didn’t see many police officers, though there were ones outside of the US embassy, which had been blocked off. Probably for the best, because people are people and there were 60k people there, I guess. There were also some horse cops (not mounties, those are people in the RCMP and there isn’t really much of an RCMP presence in Ontario, excepting Ottawa. ~the more you know~)

They pointed out that Kevin O’Leary was a Canadian Trump, which seems pretty true. (I do not want him as leader of the Conservatives, he seems to be pretty close ideologically to Trump with regards to having no regard for social issues. Here’s an opinion column from Arlene Dickinson about if the person we saw on Dragon’s Den is the same as he actually is. Spoiler: Yes. He is the same.)

They also spoke a lot about First Nation problems, especially all the missing and murdered First Nation women. They called on the Trudeau government to stand true to the promises they made during the election, and deal with the problem.

(Trudeau was recently asked while taking a selfie if he intended to implement UNDRIP, United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, and his face is hilarious when he attempts to get out of there. Hopefully the fact that this clip went viral will help push the government into doing something here?)

There were some sound issues at the end in Nathan Phillips Square, but there were luckily two mics to cycle through and then a bullhorn for when neither worked. I enjoyed the quip “Women have to work really hard to get their voices heard!”

In a smaller act of protest, I needed a new slowcooker. I try to shop Canadian when I can, and frequently that means the Bay. However, they carry Ivanka Trump’s design line and I don’t really want to support that. I have already emailed them about it, but when I checked today her stuff is still being sold.

So I decided to get my slowcooker at Canadian Tire, which has no results for ‘trump’ when I search their site.

That was seventy dollars that could have gone to the Bay that now went to Canadian Tire.

(oops that got long sorry)

I’m really enjoying seeing where people attended marches, or even where they were attending in spirit if they couldn’t attend in person.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

@opposablethumbs
@rugbyyogi

So pleased to hear we were all together, albeit with another thousand people (or ten) in between.

I meant to share one of my favourite pics of the day (only I can’t figure out how to); the little green man on a crossing had been replaced by the male/female/non-binary symbol. Which is quite a thing!

I’m told the London mayor Sadiq Khan authorised it at last year’s Pride, on the crossings close to Trafalgar Square, and it hasn’t been switched back yet.

In preparing for today, I saw a lot of trolling re Khan (who is Muslim) along the lines of “why March against Trump when your mayor supports sharia and the burka etc”. Leaving aside for a mo that he isn’t my mayor as I don’t live in London, he is a human rights lawyer and is a self-proclaimed feminist. Oh, and I’ve seen photos of him on today’s March.

Three cheers for Sadiq Khan.

kupo
kupo

Just got back from the Seattle women’s march. It was very peaceful. Before the march started the bicycle police were running laps around the gathering area and every time they passed people clapped and cheered. People also thanked the officers as they walked past the on the route. My favorite signs were “Females are strong as hell” and “Knope we can” with Leslie Knope doing the Rosie the Riveter pose. An estimated 125,000 people were there. Considering we got to the end, rested a while, walked back to our car and there were still over a mile of people (on the 3.5 mile route) marching as we walked back, I believe it.

I only saw one; a woman standing on a corner near the end point of the march shouting, “Build the wall! Make America great again!” over and over again. There was also a guy on the route with a megaphone asking everyone if they’re right with god. A couple of guys had set up next to him with signs reading, “Weed is Jesus” and “Jesus is weed” but that’s really not too out of the ordinary for Seattle (both the preaching on the sidewalk and the stoners), so I don’t know if it counts as a counter-protest.

Whitney S
Whitney S

I protested in Moscow, Washington, with several friends. It’s a small town in close proximity two local public universities, both conservative. The turn-out was great, and everyone kept talking about how empowering the experience was. The speeches at the end of the march emphasized intersetionality, alliances, and our political power as advocates. It was only the third political march of my life, but it won’t be the last!

Aqua
Aqua

RATS! I missed the march in Bristol, it was a very last minute decision to have it, but still a good crowd turned out.

WELL DONE EVERYONE EVERYWHERE!

And brilliantly, all the marches across the globe were peaceful. Even in Antarctica, bless em! 😉

MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)
MissEB47 (Resident Rainbow Lorikeet and Beak Typist)

Natalie-That’s the problem I have, too. I live in Brisbane and since Trump was elected I have been wanting to attend protests, but I never find anything on local protests in the search results. 🙁 I wish they put the right key words in so people can find them.

Abars01-I have just heard about what happened in Melbourne on Friday (I don’t have a TV so I missed it on the news. My mother just told me what happened). I was shocked because I lived in Melbourne until recently and my sister works in that area. I’m glad that you are ok! *hugs*

MCorbett
MCorbett

Reporting from Syracuse, NY. There were about 2000 of us protesting Trump. Mostly white women but some people of color as well as white men. I our bastion of liberalism the mood was peaceful and positive. I found this frustrating since my impotent rage towards Donald Trump made me want to scream obscenities and break things. I was uplifted by the less then peace rhetoric” of some of the speakers. One of which declared that “protest without the inclusion of people of color, handicapped people, trans people, undocumented people, lgbt people was bullshit.” I was uplifted by the amount of people that attended the rally but I ask “Where’s the outrage? “

Banananana dakry
Banananana dakry

I have a confession.

I’m operating from a place of shame right now. I loathe the First Yam and his policies as much as any other American here. I think that women, alternate sexual identities, preferences and races should should be treated like human beings. I was intending on going to the march in Santa Ana.

And what do I do? I fucking sleep through it all. To the point it’s nearly four PM when I wake up. Yes, I had trouble sleeping last night. I still set an alarm. And then I wake up, turn it off, and crash out again. Bzzt. And then I finally wake up, see the masses who made it at every city in the world, and feel nothing but shame for my own body betraying me.

Yes, I am only one person. But things like these all start with just one person. One person that’s willing to take the risks, stand up, and say to the powers that be, “I ain’t taking your shit anymore”. In that, I failed. And I feel like I failed my beliefs and those of others.

There is one thing I’m going to do Monday that I can still do. I’m going to call my Senators and give them kudos and tell them to not give them a damn inch of ground in DC, and I’m going to tell my GOP (albeit moderate) Representative to not cave to what they want, and remind them that I am a constituent and I’m going to be paying close attention to how they vote. Their employment depends on what kind of job we think they’re doing.

Trump and his cronies are likely hoping that once the upheaval surrounding the inauguration dies down our attention will go elsewhere, and then they can push through their shit without us noticing until too late. We all have to keep showing otherwise. It begins here, but it sure as hell can’t end here. The pressure has to be kept on, and even I know that.

I can do that much at least.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@dakry,

You’re allowed to sleep, it’s okay. You needed it. After the emotional drain of the last months, you earned it.

Consider it a rebirth of sorts, if you want. You’ve been through the worst of it, and now you’re on the other side, and now you’re ready to get in there! Just don’t be ashamed of needing to sleep, or work, or of needing to avoid crowds, or whatever. You’re allowed to be human.

kupo
kupo

What Scild said.

I forgot to mention in my post that on the drive over to the march my mother and aunt were talking about Milo Y. They knew who he was and that he gave a talk last night at UW. It’s so surreal how mainstream these horrible excuses for humans have become. What’s next? Is my niece going to start talking to me about Paul Elam?