aggrieved entitlement alt-right empathy deficit entitled babies excusing abuse homophobia irony alert literal nazis men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA racism reactionary bullshit trump twitter

Complete idiots respond to the #WomensMarch on Twitter

Trump’s worst nightmare?

You may be wondering what the dregs of humanity are saying on Twitter about the Women’s March.

The answer? Some pretty amazingly dumb things. Here’s a sampling:

That last one makes me embarrassed to be a David.

Let’s end this with a few tweets from the lovely Ann Coulter. She mad.

What really strikes me about so many of these Tweets is how defensive they are. These are people who know the world is against them and are desperately trying to convince themselves that this is not the case. Get used to it, guys.

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

@opposablethumbs:
It may well have been. It was one of the most surreal things I saw that day.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Sort of related.

My music biz friends are having a bit of a giggle over the fact that Toby Keith sang “Made in America” whilst playing a Japanese manufactured Takamine guitar.

(In fairness they’re great guitars)

Karalora
Karalora

And sooner or later, Trump will understand that most Americans don’t want him to be president of the USA.

Oh, he knows. He’s just deeply in denial. And pants-stainingly terrified of the day when, by one means or another, he must leave office, because he knows every headline in America and maybe the world is going to say the same thing:

TRUMP, YOU’RE FIRED!

Lysistrata
Lysistrata

So, I’m still marveling at the logistical coordination involved in thousands? of women making tens? of thousands of “pussyhats”, including consensus on name, basic design, and colour, in a very short space of time. I realize this is an odd detail to fixate on, when the other logistical achievements, never mind the awe-inspiring oh-holy-shit-wow of it all, are so big.

And then I read, above:

“These idiots could never build anything. They don’t work.”

(retyped here in sentence case)

Astonishment.

Oh well, never mind.

To re-warm your hearts, I offer these links (assuming I can make it link)

Lea
Lea

They’re scared of us.
🙂

Pie
Pie

@Lysistrata

Naturally, a real “grass roots” movement could never have accomplished this, and as such these hats are yet another indication that the whole anti trump, anti-america movement is bankrolled and orchestrated by Soros.

Aaaaaand, here you go:

Thought I’d remembered seeing this. Not happy that it’s in the New York Times.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

THESE IDIOTS COULD NEVER BUILD ANYTHING. THEY DON’T WORK.

Actually, fun story: I couldn’t make the march in my city because I had to work.

Not only did I have to work, I had to work at my unpaid internship (thanks capitalism!), which is for a government subsidized organization that plans events and helps businesses in the area get the word out about themselves to help brand their area as a tourist destination (and also works directly with another group that’s there to make sure everything’s clean and tidy on the street so they’re both pretty beneficial to the area). So, go fuck yourself.

And on top of that, I’m trying to quit my awful retail job that isn’t giving me enough hours to live on (thanks capitalism!), and I’m going to training TODAY for a job at a restaurant close to my internship. If that goes well, I’ll be working THREE JOBS for the course of two weeks, and then after that, I’ll hopefully be working seven days a week between my two jobs. No days off, always working.

So you can suck an egg about the whole “WIMMENS ARE LAZY AND DON’T WORK AND MOOCH OFF OF MEN!” bullshit.

Lea
Lea

That NYT article is such spin. These protests happened everywhere. They happened in small towns. Of course Planned Parenthood was involved. Of course no Republican orgs contributed. They’re the misogynists who voted for Trump in them first place.

Pie, are you serious? The pink hats mean women are just puppets of George Soros? Bullshit.

Of course the efforts begin to discredit and ignore such a huge turn out in support of women. Of course attempts to gaslight those women has begun. Why would this be any different from anything else?

Pie
Pie

@Lea

I often wonder about adding sarcasm tags, but generally don’t because seriously, who’d imagine that anyone could believe this stuff? Poe strikes again.

Personally, I’m waiting on the stories saying that all the protestors were actually paid $1000 each and bussed in by organisations controlled by Soros. Because blasting a billion dollars on a faus protest is exactly the sort of thing billionaires do and an entirely sustainable activity, and way more likely that people objecting for free.

Pie
Pie

@guest

That’s… kinda surreal. The author purports to be a muslim woman, unhappy about the failure of “the left” to deal with islamic extremism. So she felt that voting for trump was the only reasonable thing to do.

I generally even, but this time I think I just can’t.

The Adjunct
The Adjunct

They sure are sore winners.

Also, I didn’t realise Donald has cancelled the 1st Amendment already. Lol, silly ladies with your lady parts and lady brains must have missed that bit of news. /s

Protest is Patriotic!
Protest is Democratic!
Protest is American!

I am not afraid of sore-winner anti-democratic rightwing nationalists any more. Come at me bro!

sunnysombrera
sunnysombrera

Women’s March protests democratic transfer of power & the rts of 65 mill Americans.

Oh fuck off. Fuck off with this mentality. Fuck off with this “he won the election therefore if you have any problem with him you are ANTI-DEMOCRACY.” Democracy is a fluid, ongoing process. Winning slightly more votes than the other side on ONE day (and yes I’m aware he didn’t actually win the popular vote) does not mean that the winner takes all. It does not mean that the winner shouldn’t ever be challenged, even if the challenge is towards their electoral victory itself. When democracy is used and abused for wicked ends it is in fact our duty as citizens to fight back.

Christ I’m sick of this shit. /rant

Rhuu
Rhuu

@guest: I made it through about five paragraphs before nope-ing out of that tab. Railing against “identity politics” and “hijacking the issues” indeed.

I don’t understand what identity politics actually are, honestly. Do they mean people saying ‘Hey, I’m a lady and a person, let’s get some laws in place that will assure my treatment as such’? Or ‘I’m LGBTQ+ and a person, and would like some laws that will protect me?’ Or ‘I’m a PoC and also a person’ etc etc etc. Or, of course, “I fall under one or more of the above categories and really need protection.”

I guess these things are identities, but so is ‘blue collar white america’. How is one okay to rally around, and ALL THE OTHERS not?

(It’s partly because blue collar america votes haven’t been gerrymandered into non-existence, I know, but how is the blatant voter suppression legal in the first place…?)

Is it hard to believe that non-partisan groups will have problems with a politician? They aren’t anti-trump, they are anti-hate. And if being anti-hate happens to coincide with being anti-trump, that should give all the trumpsters pause.

I admit I don’t know much about Soros, besides the fact that he apparently is running half of America. 9__9 Is it surprising that someone with a lot of money who apparently donates to groups that help to fight oppression would donate to multiple groups, and then that people that fight oppression might find common ground fighting an oppressor??

Pie
Pie

@Rhuu

The key thing to remember is that the people who think Soros is behind everything simply cannot comprehend that anyone would oppose them of their own free will. They’re just totally assured of their own rightness and reasonableness. It must be a conspiracy, and Soros is literally the only person they can think of who might be behind such a thing, because most american billionaires appear to be either actively supporting trump or just letting him do his stuff.

They’re also projecting light a fleet of imax rigs, because of the number of billionaires supporting the regressive right. If the backers of the regressives are engaging in dirty tricks, then surely, surely the backers of the left are doing the same, right?

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

America first? America voted for Clinton.

Kelllyanne Conway said this morning that Spicer was presenting “alternative facts” about the size of the crowd.

Really.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

CNN in a rare act of fact checking this morning posted a side by side comparison. A picture of Trump’s inauguration next to a picture of Obama’s. The difference was clear. But the right has long been of the mindset that facts are whatever they want them to be. So I’m sure they’ll find a way to disbelieve the pictures.

ScarlettAthena
ScarlettAthena

Re: the NYTlive article and seconding Lea

That article seems really off to me.

The person claims to be a liberal, Muslim woman but rails against identity politics and complains that America isn’t doing enough against radical Islam. The vocabulary does not seem typical of the way liberals talk but is more in line with conservatives. I’m not saying it is false, but it smacks of “I’m totally on the political side of these people but I denounce everything they do.”

On another topic, despite all these cries of people saying we need to unite, I do not hear any talk that encourages me to do so. I see a president (who I didn’t vote for and whose policies I oppose) who is more interested in talking about himself, the attendance at his rallies, and the mean old press, who a couple of times, maybe, has said he wants to be president of everyone, but won’t even make some empty verbal gesture of outreach, and who has already begun work on hurting anyone who isn’t wealthy.

When the tea party started after Obama was elected, I saw very privileged people take the streets and enact protests that were horrible racist to oppose paying more in taxes (“taxed enough already”). They didn’t seem to listen to Obama’s actual words but listened to the carnival barkers on their teevee. I also saw people in power, like Mitch McConnell, overtly wish for the president to fail and they vowed to oppose him at every turn. Obama was always gracious, and in his speeches, I heard him address all Americans.

These marches, in contrast, address Trump’s actual words as well as the actions that the power of his position has inspired in other politicians and in private citizens. At my march in Trenton, while there was some anti-Trump talk, most of the talk was about maintaining the rights we have earned (women’s rights to control their bodies, LGBT and PoC rights in general), about rejecting various bigotries, especially Islomophobia but also racism, homophobia and transphobia, and about upholding the dignity of everyone, which included calls to treat people with disabilities with respect.

The march I was in also called people to individual action. It wasn’t just about asking the government for stuff, but it asked us participants to remove our complacency and take part in the political process through action.

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

@Rhuu:

There’s a lot of symmetry in this one, oddly. A lot of progressive people blamed the entire Tea Party movement on the Kochs, because the alternative was to admit that there were an enormous number of racists out there. Sadly, it turned out that regardless of how powerful the Kochs were, there were indeed more racists out there than anyone wanted to believe – myself included.

Similarly, a lot of fascist people blame the entire progressive movement on Soros, because the alternative is to admit that most members of their precious White race don’t fucking want them.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

1)NYT has been clearly shit for months now. This is not an exception. Remember where the ‘economic anxiety’ shit gained traction

2)There’s nothing suspicious about someone who identifies as ‘liberal’ berating identity politics. Someone like that ran for President. This isn’t an anomaly, it’s a large contingent of the broader ‘left’. It was the dominant contingent, so most people just didn’t notice it til people like us became a strong enough alternative

3)Soros is Jewish. Just as a reminder…

Skiriki
Skiriki

Apparently Kellyanne has come up with this now: “It’s really time for [Trump] to put in his own security and intelligence community.”

If so…

…Well.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Skiriki
Gestahpo/SS 2;American Edition
“Because we want to install the fourth reich don’t you call us neonazis this is for the good of the country.”

Skiriki
Skiriki

@Ooglyboggles:

Pretty much where my mind went. Or all dictatorships etc. Apparently they really want to make up more alternative facts to justify everything, such as — oh, well, it is kinda war crime to rip off Iraq’s oil, but that’s just a word for these Humpty Dumpties and they can make “war crime” mean “give me pancakes” or whatever.

Dormousing_it (formerly RoscoeTCat)
Dormousing_it (formerly RoscoeTCat)

@Paradoxical Intention: I’ve felt your pain, in trying to juggle several jobs, just in order to get by. It was some 25 years ago, though. I think I probably had more jobs to choose from.

At least with an internship, you’re working towards something better, something with a future for you.

Things will get better for you, as they did for me, it’ll just take time.

From reading your posts over the years, I think you have strong convictions, and confidence in yourself and your abilities, something I Iacked when I was in my 20s.

I’ m fortunate to have a good job now, but if it were to evaporate, I don’t know what I’ll do. I’m pushing 50 years old.

SciFiGeekForever
SciFiGeekForever

In regards to the massive amounts of hats I saw at least one woman who during the rally was standing knitting more. If you know how to knit it seemed like a pretty simple pattern that could be done quickly. Plus others used pink felt to sped up the process.

I did see a few hateful posts on FB against the marchers. One woman confused me because after a really horrible rant she commented on a photo of me at the march super positively.

Aufbin Can ton nac
Aufbin Can ton nac

Do these comments work?

Trial.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@SciFiGeekForever

When Ravelry gets mobilized….

And yeah, it’s a simple pattern that can be knitted flat or in the round. If I were up to my earlier knitting speed, I could knock one out in a day, depending on the weight of the yarn.

nparker
nparker

Yes. Unfortunately for people like this, the election of Trump hasn’t proved to these people that they are supported- in fact it has made it even more clear just how much they are failing to get anyone onside.

They’ll keep being just as desperate as before, but it won’t help them. The world is against them and they know it, they’re just too scared to admit it and accept that the world isn’t going to help them get happier.

FluffPigeon
FluffPigeon

Hi there,
I’m a long time reader and first time poster. I really appreciate the writing that Mr. Futrelle has done on Trump. This might be asking a little much, but I’ve been lurking a lot of left leaning sites and I’ve been seeing a lot of decrying of identity politics by liberals – as Axecalibur mentioned. They’ve gone so far as to viciously attack minority members of the Democratic party such as Cory Booker and Elizabeth Warren. Meanwhile, Sanders gets a free pass for some of his less than ideal support for the gun industry.

I’m not saying that the the Democrats are perfect and above criticism but the amount of venom from mainly white straight and male groups directed towards these Dem party members is far over the top.

I am hoping that Mr. Futrelle would be interested in covering these “brogressives” as well.

I think its easy to say that we expect the right to be misogynist and racist but the left can be just as toxic but not as obvious about it – so while they may criticize Trump, they also cause damage to progressive causes.

This opinion article by Marcus H Johnson sums up the issue perfectly. https://medium.com/@marcushjohnson/we-should-call-brocialism-what-it-is-white-populism-ad257608ed52#.sxksdb65e

I apologize if Mr. Futrelle has already done articles like this. A lot of the left leaning sites that I lurk – such as Daily Kos have been overrun by this type of “progressive” and its started to become a little worrisome. Thank you for your time.

Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy

I found, to my disappointment, a lot of tone-policing on my FB, with people complaining about the “vulgarity” and others reposting articles doing the same.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

I am pleased that most of the reporting I’ve seen is talking about Trump’s “misstatements, errors, and falsehoods.” It’s still too kind to him, but his mostly free ride with the press may finally be coming to an end.

nparker
nparker

@ Laugher at Bigots

Nearly the same with me, but with just one person! I responded by sharing various march-related support.

Dalillama, Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles
Dalillama, Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles

@Paradoxy
Solidarity. I’ve got two jobs and a seven day schedule right now as well.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

Man the new Bladerunner is really nailing down the cyberpunk aesthetic
comment image
…wait

Scoots
Scoots

@SciFiGeekForever and @Victorious Parasol: There were some cool variations on the pussy hats. Mom said the stores were running out of pink yarn. She had a gorgeous shades of pink one she was making. And a friend of mine did one in multiple people colors instead of pink, which was kind of awesome.

My mom took up crocheting and then knitting during the Iraq War. She had to do something to calm herself down and channel her feelings. Now she knits up a storm.

It’s really vital to call out ALL the lies, not just the “important” ones, and not to get distracted by the temper tantrums while the Heritage Foundation and Focus on the Family quietly takes over. I wish the media weren’t so hesitant to use the “l” word, as in “lies.” “Falsehoods” sounds prettier, which is a good reason not to use it.

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)
EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

Ooglyboggles wins the internet.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Oogly
😁😁😁

@Fluff
Hiya, newbie, call me Axe! Way easier to spell 😀

And, of course, Hillary Clinton

Funny what they’ll let you get away with if you’re a white dude…

the left can be just as toxic but not as obvious about it

^^^^^Thisssss, like a trillion timesssss^^^^^

I apologize if Mr. Futrelle has already done articles like this

There’s a lotta overlap between brogressives and the manosphere, so it comes up. Then there’s this from a while back:

Welcome package on the right side of the page. And don’t be a stranger, eh? 🙂

Snork Maiden
Snork Maiden

I know this forum is very strong on inclusiveness and trans advocacy, but I’m observing that most of the posters here are supportive of the concept of the pink hats, so what do people think about this?

Could it be that the accusations of cissexism/transphobia are coming from trolls trying to stir up dissent? Or do people here think this might be a legitimate issue?

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)
@Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Thank you, thank you, I aim to please.

@FluffPigeon
Welcome to WeHuntedTheMammoth! There have been a few articles pertaining to brogressives. You bring up a very valid point that we should make sure that we don’t allow the types of classist/sexist/bigoted rhetoric of the economically liberal&socially conservative to go unnoticed. While I am a fervent Sanders supporter and support many things of his like bills to negotiate drug prices, I’d rather have you be able to criticize the bad points of his rather than be silenced when it is inconvenient to other parties of interest. Again welcome to WHTM I hope you have a good time posting and lurking here 🙂

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

Sadly there is often still cissexism/transphobia in progressive groups, and it’s possible that there are people who do exclusively equate pussy=woman.

The pink pussy hats AFAIK are a response to Trump’s ‘grab ’em by the pussy’ remarks. Transmen (who also have vaginas) would just as likely (if not moreso) be vulnerable to such sexual assault, so I don’t see the cissexism as a foregone conclusion.

Bina

“These idiots could never build anything. They don’t work.”

Ahem:

Idiot was saying?

Also, speaking of idiots saying dumb shit about women: Here’s Drumpf, wondering why the estimated 3 million + marchers “didn’t vote”.

Uh, as I recall, wasn’t that also the approximate number of voters who DID vote, but not for him? The number of the popular vote, in fact, by which he was beaten? (And that’s not counting disenfranchised voters and uncounted votes in three contested states, which constitutes a likely vote theft on his part.)

Bina

@Snork Maiden:

I saw plenty of male marchers happily wearing pussyhats in pictures and videos yesterday, so it’s obvious you don’t have to be a pussy-haver to wear a pussyhat or support those who don’t want their crotches grabbed by a Drumpf. Therefore, I’m leaning trolls. They will literally use anything to try to split movements, whether the issue they’re using is legit or not. In fact, legitimate causes tend to be more effective than something just ginned up out of thin air, because they are bound to cause lengthy derailments.

Could of course be a legit person with a legit grievance, but the timing makes me wonder. I’ve just dealt with way too many trolls not to recognize the signs. Trolls always come out of the woodwork when something big is brewing and someone is desperate to disrupt it.

The only real way to know is to do a search and see if the people in question have long been advocating on the issue on other forum threads, and if they’re doing the same on stories germane to trans issues. Also, watch the frequency of their posts: Do they post regularly in good faith on the subject, or do they just do a drive-by and then buzz off? If they’re new and only bringing it up now and because of this march, they are very likely trolls looking to stir some shit.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

I agree with Bina. Trump feels entitled to grab women’s genitals. The fact that not all women have the same kind of genitals is not going to stop him from grabbing.

Hypatia's Daughter
Hypatia's Daughter

The Pussyhat Project was launched Thanksgiving weekend to prepare for the Women’s March on Jan 21st. https://www.pussyhatproject.com/

Snork Maiden, “I’ve been reading accounts of people criticizing the pink pussy hat theme and calling them cissexist, because ‘pussy’ is in reference to vaginas, and not all women have those.”

Sorry, but this really irks me. Is gender only defined only by one’s genitals? No. Is pussy used as a slur on people, of whatever gender, who aren’t hypermasculine? Yes.

As FishyGoat points out, trans men can be sexually assaulted. Trans women have been beaten or killed when a potential partner finds out they aren’t “real women” and wants to punish them for “lying to them”. If you have a pussy, you’re a target. If you don’t have a pussy but identify with the sex that does, you’re a target.

Look, not all women have the same issues with sexism at the same time. Do we cease to support and identify with other women because “your problem with sexism is not my problem with sexism”?

For example, I am in my 60’s and many years postmenopausal, so issues of reproductive rights don’t matter to me any more. Should I whine that all this emphasis reproductive rights aren’t important because they are no longer important to ME personally?
Or do I care, as a woman, that they are very important to my fellow women and are a basic human right? (‘Cause, you know, they are.)

Hambeast (fan of diversity)
Hambeast (fan of diversity)

I think the hats are cute. I crocheted one in about half a day but I think I’ll knit the next one (which will take me longer.) No pink, though, don’t like it. I had some day-glo variegated yarn and used that.

I’m also hoping that there will be other rallies/marches to wear them to.

History Nerd
History Nerd

During the economic crisis in the 1970’s, most leftists realized that the white working class wasn’t a progressive force for change. So they shifted their focus to women and minorities and the working class in poor countries.

As a group, white working class men prefer to be dominant over some other group when they’re going through economic difficulty. The more “scholarly” MRA’s argue that improvements in the status of women and minorities in society are causing increases in white male depression and addiction. But studies tend to show this is because white men are taught that they’re entitled to have poor self control and express destructive emotions without consequences.

For example, a few generations ago white teenagers could get a slap on the wrist for pretty serious offenses (like stealing a car, making explosives, or child molestation).

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

Out of curiosity, I did a little googling on pussy hat anti-trans. I found one article and one tweet, both of which made the point that anatomy isn’t destiny. I found quite a few more posts from anti-trans people who were pre-emptively defensive about the criticism they thought the hats would bring.

So yeah, trolls.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@FluffPigeon, welcome, and a wonderful comment. The rise of the Asshole Progressive as a left-wing parallel to the Nazis, and their weird, nausea-inducing alliance, really has me concerned! I do hope David puts some time into exploring that side of things. Just go look at the comments on the Jimmy Dore show and you’ll no doubt have a pile of gross content, I’ve got no doubt.

Also, floofy pigeons are the best <3

comment image

Hello little floof!

As for the hats, I imagine they're going to become a thing for the left wing to wear. Simple, practical, iconic, and cute. Not only that, but a daily reminder about what’s going on. I hope they become a common occurrence.

Leda Atomica
Leda Atomica

CW: Possibly problematic TERFy issues? Because I just don’t know.

@Snork Maiden

Not just trolls, sadly. I was a member of a feminist group since its beginning and people there know me and know I’m “safe”. I’m friends with many of the admins. It’s a safe space group and you get booted for a problematic eep, so trolls are few and far between.

There was a post about the pink hats being TERFy and I was reading the conversation at first, not knowing how to express myself. Everyone was saying that it’s not inclusive how they connected vaginas with womanhood. I eventually opened my big mouth and said they’re called pussyhats, not womanhood hats because Trump said that awful thing.

I was booted without a warning. Unless “bye” counts as a warning.

I wasn’t the only one, the same “bye” message was also addressed to a non-cis person who tried to make a point that while their genitalia doesn’t define their gender identity, it certainly defines their oppression.

I am a bit dismayed that a feminist group pretended there is no such thing as oppression based on genitalia. But I guess TERFs make that same argument so everyone who says it, including known, self-crit ready allies, are out without strikes.

I am really sorry if this post was problematic, I hope David takes it down if it’s not appropriate. I admit this was a vent and I am still a bit salty over the boot. (Other admins were sending me messages saying they’ll get me back but I honestly don’t feel safe in the group after that.)

LindsayIrene

I have seen some pretty vehemently anti-hat posts on Tumblr. Basically, any mention of uteruses and pussies at the marches were considered cissexist and exclusionary and White Feminism. But that’s Tumblr social justice, which is a world unto its own.

Other than that, I saw one commenter on Instagram call this sign cissexist and transmisogynistic, even though the woman holding it is trans (that’s the person in my avatar, actually):
comment image

This sign has nothing to do with the rest of my post, I just thought it was cute:
comment image