#ResistTrump open thread

Open Thread to discuss the terrible event today #ResistTrump #TheResistance

A sad day for America

So here’s an open thread to discuss the inauguration of popular vote loser and possible Russian agent Donald Trump. No trolls, Trump fans, etc.

I think I might go all Chuck Tingle and live-tweet a bizarro world version of the event. Or not. I don’t know.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

I remember Obama’s first inauguration, and how Roberts muffed the oath a bit, but Obama correctly stating it as written.

I cried during that ceremony, because it was such a life-altering event, and I watched the light and the hope that shone from Obama…which the GOP spent the next 8 years trying to extinguish.

I cried today, but for a different reason. I watched Obama saying goodbye to his staff, and all of the emotions that flitted across his face…

I will miss Obama. Very much.

I did not watch Trumphole being sworn in, because to do so would tarnish the memory of the 2009 ceremony, when the last truly decent person was sworn in.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I don’t know about presidents, but my congressman, Keith Ellison got sworn in with Thomas Jefferson’s Koran and the right threw a tantrum over it.

I love having a representative who induces so many white tears.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

….Something has to crack eventually.

Someone has to object.
Someone has to garner a following
Someone has to demonstrate that this simply can’t stand.

If it means a new nation entirely, so be it.

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

Eighty thousand voters in three states. That’s what this comes down to.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

I love having a representative who induces so many white tears.

OMG, BWA HA HA HA HA!!! That is flipping hilarious!!!

This reminds me of my late mother, who unfortunately lived next door to an especially virulent racist bigot. (He built a house next door to hers.) Every time she saw him, he would regale her with the most nasty rhetoric, especially against the couple who lived on the next street over. (“If I’d known there were going to be [slur] here, I’d have never built this house, blah blah”)

So, in a very passive-agressive way that defined her sense of humor, when she sent out holiday cards that year, she purchased one Kwanza stamp, especially for his card. (He did get the hint…and when he started on gay people, she asked him, “have you seen the new rainbow stamps?”

Damn, I miss her.

mcbender

Eurgh. I can’t watch. I won’t watch. I know I don’t comment here often, but seriously, this is just intolerable.

I’ll be at the Sister March in Philadelphia tomorrow, so at least I’ll feel like I’m doing something, but I just feel so powerless in light of all this. Still, I’ll do what I can.

This piece by John Pavlovitz is pretty fantastic and sums up a lot of what I’ve been feeling: http://johnpavlovitz.com/2017/01/19/let-the-record-show/

And to add insult to injury, I’m pretty sure my dog is afraid of me leaving him, because he ATE MY FUCKING PASSPORT last night and now I have to desperately hope the State Department remains functional long enough to issue me a replacement. This is not the time to render me incapable of fleeing the country, you goddamn canine.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

I spent the whole day away from american news, but I guess it’s time to stick my head out of the sand for a while.

… please tell me it’s not too late for a dumb miracle yet.

Falconer
Falconer

Police gassed protesters on K Street in DC.

The righties are spreading images on Facebook of people smashing into a Starbucks and saying it’s the inaugural protesters but I have not been able to find anything else about it yet.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Fitting, that Trump would be inaugurated amidst police firing tear gas into crowds. It’s an angry day today.

Falconer
Falconer

Well fuck, someone smashed and burned a limo that wasn’t even involved in the parade. Thanks, morons, you just gave Fox News an evening’s worth of content. ON A FRIDAY. That means a WEEKEND’S WORTH.

nparker
nparker

The smashing and burning and suchlike is really angering me at the moment. I know it is likely mostly those people who join protests just for the hell of it rather than actual legitimate parts of the protest, but that just saddens me even more.

@Falconer
I wonder when Trump and his team are going to decide that Fox News isn’t adoring enough of them. I am in equal parts scared and amused to wonder when they’ll decide that even that cesspit of bigotry is ‘biased’ against them, but they’re far right enough that it is likely to happen.

@Alan Robertshaw

That’s brilliant! It reminds me of an item several years back about UKIP on BBC Radio 2’s Jeremy Vine Show, where Jeremy played ‘Making Plans for Nigel.’

Falconer
Falconer

@nparker, they’ve already decided to let Jim Hoft and the Gateway Pundit into the White House Press Room. It’s only a matter of time until “traditional media” gets shut out in the cold.

I wanted blogs and new media to succeed, but not like this. Not like this. It’s like Josh Marshall wished on a monkey’s paw or something.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

The traditional media have no one but themselves to blame if they get shut out. They’ve been enabling right wing extremism for the sake of ratings for years. This is where it got them. An ill informed public voting in a 1st amendment hating wannabe dictator.

Ooglyboggles

@wwth
All of them have been bought out my major corporations who control the kleptocracy. “Balance both sides” is the biggest scam that has ever been fabricated in mainstream media. Any talk of corruption? Any talk about infrastructure? Any talk that implies them to be critical or in disagreement of something? Nope. Let’s just not have any form of a critical eye, calling others out for falsehoods is unprofitable. Here lets give Trump 2billion in free advertisement what’s the worst that could happen?

Some Guy
Some Guy

jesus christ I didn’t watch the speech but I heard it was basically a huge pile of alarmist “THE COUNTRY IS SICK AND DYING AND ONLY I CAN SAVE IT”

I shouldn’t be surprised, but at the same time it’s so ridiculously fascist that ._.

Maybe related: I live in Australia and I got ill and threw up at around 2AM on the 21st. Probably allergic to evil!

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

I saw the swear in at work. And ABC’s live coverage with George Snuffleupagus (Jimmy Dore’s only worthwhile contribution to society). Fuck everything and anyone that, in any way, enabled this

Worst part, it was boring. It was normal. It looked like an inauguration. Hillary Clinton was in the wrong spot, but otherwise… Ugh

Elizabeth Regina
Elizabeth Regina

Newsnight (BBC2) just did quite a good piece on Trump and race.

Worth seeing on iPlayer.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

@Elizabeth Regina

Thanks for the tip, Your Majesty. I’ll get right on it.

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)
EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

Are any other London mammotheers going to the march tomorrow?

Kat
Kat

@David Futrelle

I don’t think I’ve been fully relaxed since he was elected. And now it’s worse.

I went straight into hypervigilant mode and have stayed there.

JoeB
JoeB

While I don’t condone punching people in the head while they are being interviewed, even if they’re a neo-nazi, here’s a gif of a neo-nazi getting punched in the head while being interviewed.

Kat
Kat

@JoeB
That’s Richard Spencer, the dapper Nazi.

His hair may have gotten mussed.

Elizabeth Regina
Elizabeth Regina

@Weatherwax (Bows)

*Plummiest accent*

One lives to serve.

Also serious piece was cut through with clips from Beyonce’ s ‘Formation’ and I thought it a)worked quite well and b) deserved to be seen more widely as an outsider’s analysis of race issues in the U.S.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I was planning on attending the protest in St Paul tomorrow but it’s going to be raining during it. It’ll be just a few degrees above freezing so it’s going to be cold rain. I just got over being really sick and I can’t afford to get sick and miss more work. So I’m gonna have to skip it. I’m disappointed.

Sadly there will likely be more opportunities to protest in warmer weather months though.

Sigh.

Nequam
Nequam

Pity these aren’t valid US postage. (Also they were issued 3 years ago and are probably mostly collector’s items now.)

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

Nequam, knowing my beloved mom, she would have had them framed as the art they are, and would not have wasted them on that neighbor.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

“America First?”

As Woody Guthrie once pointed out, “they say America First but they mean America next.”

Abars01
Abars01

Okay. Just got back from the march in Melbourne. My first ever protest. At first, I was scared witless that it was going to be small and that there’d be neo-Nazi counter-protestors, so I must say, I was rather encouraged by the fact that there were hundreds and hundreds of people but literally not one single counter-protestor.

Will be going to the next one.

Captain Bathrobe
Captain Bathrobe

I listened to “A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall” this morning. Seemed appropriate.

Sarity
Sarity

I’m so glad to be off in Colombia for this shitstain of a day for our country (all I had to witness was its brief coverage on the local news). At least my dual citizenship is official (thank you dad for being born here), so if things really go to shit we have wonderful family that will take us.

I want our will to remain US citizens to survive the next 4 years though (please be no more than 4). It shames me to admit this is the closest I’ve ever felt to quitting on America. Hopefully it’s just temporary -_- So many lives at stake and so much progress made over the USA’s short history. The preservation of those victories are worth staying and fighting for.

Ray of Rays
Ray of Rays

Months ago, I’d planned to spend the day listening to (and singing at the top of my lungs) “Baba Yetu.” Then November happened. So instead, I find myself singing “Jericho.” Probably gonna be a ton of Celldweller for me in the next couple of years. But in the meantime…

You’re looking down and feeling so profound
You’re so impressed by your own false humility
The sky descends, the ground is rising up
An unhappy ending to your sense of deity

You feel so safe inside the walls you fortified
Supremacy implied, who dares to overthrow?
Arrogance justified, self-importance amplified
It’s down you go, we’ll all enjoy the show
Can’t wait to see you go when your walls fall like Jericho…

Jesalin
Jesalin

Trump signs 1st executive order targeting Obamacare regulations

Kat
Kat

@Abars01

Okay. Just got back from the march in Melbourne. My first ever protest.

Yay! Congratulations!

I was only sixteen when I went to my first march, but I was not the youngest person there.

The under-three crowd were there with their moms, who pushed them along in strollers.

Kat
Kat

@Jesalin
I clicked through to the CBC article. Thanks!

I also found this story on the same website:

Women’s March on Washington prompted by a grandma’s 5-word Facebook post

A day after Trump’s inauguration, march could draw 200,000 demonstrators from all walks

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

Congratulations Abars01. It’s a momentous occasion for your first one, too.

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

Somebody (glares at HOA property management rep) didn’t schedule a crew to come out and clear the drains of debris, so I stepped out my front door…into several inches of water. As did all my neighbors. Southern California tends not to expect flooding, but after we had more than an inch of rain fall in an hour during the Thurs night/Fri morning storm, and then some – blocked drains are not helpful! There’s yet another storm coming on Sunday and into Monday, with thunderstorm activity rolled into it, so those drains had better be draining (still have a couple inches of standing water out there right now) or we might be looking at flooding *indoors*.

The one good thing about this mess is that it kept everyone occupied and thinking about this problem and nobody mentioned a thing regarding the orange menace.

Valentine
Valentine

Ой пиздец. Will say nothing about choice of picture for this one because fuck, now US has its thug too.

In other news I’m really enjoying all the people sharing Agent Orange tweets from Obama’s inaugeration.

‘Can a president be impeeched for incompetence?’ is my favorite:D

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

@Valentine, I’ve been thinking, and it’s nice that you’re here because I’d like your advice.

I would like to acquire a Ukrainian flag to wave during protests against Putin-backed nationalist leaders, as a reminder to everyone that Euromaidan was a symbol of hope for all of us.

At the same time, I’m aware that Ukraine (like all countries) has issues with extreme nationalists of its own, and I don’t want to look as though I support them.

Which Ukrainian symbols should I use if I want to show my dislike of Putin and my sup of Euromaidan? Is the blue-and-gold flag okay? Is the blue trident okay?

EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)
EJ (Marxist Jazz Weasel)

*and my support

Podkayne Lives (Effortless Chicken)
Podkayne Lives (Effortless Chicken)

Nope. Someone correct me if I’m remembering wrong- I think Kennedy said “affirm” instead of “swear” in the oath of office but every president has used a Bible to be sworn in.

No…some of this was mentioned above, but at least two have used law books or copies of the Constitution. Lyndon Johnson used a Catholic missal–Jackie Kennedy’s–because there wasn’t a Bible on Air Force One, and they were in kind of a rush.

The Constitution gives the option to affirm, but only Franklin Pierce has used it. Hoover and Nixon both said ‘swear’, even though they were Quakers.

Skiriki
Skiriki

Hey I got several sheets of Tom of Finland stamps, so I can afford to send out some sheets to Mammotheers.

Anyone interested?

miriam
miriam

The gift of this is realising how many lovely people there are across the world that give a shit, and that things like this are getting us to join together. There are dark times ahead, but I look forward with hope.

Lea
Lea

The highlight of my day was watching that Nazi get punched. I hope we see more of that this year and every year until we run out of Nazi scum to punch.

GardenGallivant
GardenGallivant

There is already a bill in Texas presupposing Roe v Wade being overturned shortly.
I found Texas Bill 948, which would make abortion a felony. This conviction would revoke the women’s right to vote. The bill is from (R) Tinderholt.

On a local note there was a shooting on the UW campus. A person protesting the Milo Yiannopoulos speech in Kane Hall was shot in the abdomen. The police had to take the audience out by the large underground parking area under red square where the shooting victim lay.

kupo
kupo

@GardenGallivant
Damn, I hope he’s okay.

RosieLa
RosieLa

I’m struggling.
I want to march. I really do. Ever since our G20, though, seeing cops in their protest formations has given me massive anxiety and all sorts of trauma symptoms. I’ve been watching them bring their horses out in increasing force over the past week and it’s getting to me.

Skiriki
Skiriki

This thread is all the proof you need that Trump’s admin has no creative thought and will steal others’ work and take credit for it:

Also ties to earlier “fascists cannot art” threads.

Conan the Librarian
Conan the Librarian

And….professional CNN troll Piers Morgan weighs in with a tweet suggesting a “Men’s March” to protest against the ongoing feminist “emasculation” of the male gender, then subsequently pronouncing himself “amused” and vindicated by the outraged reactions that ensued:

Don’t know if it’s worth a post David, but here we have a CNN commentator going into full MRA mode.

Conan the Librarian
Conan the Librarian

@RosieLa

Don’t feel bad if you don’t make it to a march. We must take care of ourselves as well. We all have a role to play, not necessarily doing the same things.