#ResistTrump announcements

Program Note: Yes, this is still We Hunted the Mammoth, not #ResistTrump-central

Me, very soon.

Just a quick note to reassure regular We Hunted the Mammoth readers that this blog hasn’t turned into a #ResistTrump-only blog — despite what it might look like at the moment.

This has been a strange and monumental week politically. And it’s also been a crappy week for me. I’m still feeling a bit under the weather, and so I’ve been devoting my limited energy to getting these #ResistTrump posts out because, holy crap, you saw what happened this week.

Anyway, I’m hoping that I will be able to resume my regular posts shortly. The #ResistTrump posts will continue as well, but they wont be the only thing.

Thanks for your patience, everyone!

Ooglyboggles

@htintin

I don’t agree, you’d better change the name of this site :

1 – you only writing for anti-trump for 6 month
2 – It’s not people like you who hunted the mammoth, at that time you will probably defend the mammoth against man oppression …

Forgive me but could you please elaborate on your post? From your first point David has been writing articles of the manosphere other than Trump, in a sick sense it’s considered a break when MGTOW is the article of the day rather than yet another example of the the orange fascist. Your second point is already explained in the origins of the title, said origins is already explained in the site FAQ.

Social Justice Cyborg Ninja
Social Justice Cyborg Ninja

@htintin

Well, I will assume that you are posting in good faith, even though you have necro’d another thread here to display your inability to do math.
You seem to have missed the meaning of the title of this site. It is a joke, meant for humorous purposes. It is a reference to how many male internet misogynists will make an argument along the lines of “men did everything for you ungrateful gendered slurs! We hunted the mammoth to feed you!” This argument is ridiculous on many levels, as you cannot claim credit for things that people who are not you and merely happen to share your gender have done, and because women have, y’know, also contributed to society. Thus, the name We Hunted the Mammoth was chosen as a mocking reference to it, replacing the old name of the site, Manboobz. Incidentally, mammoths are neither human nor exclusively female, so “man oppression” would probably not apply to them if they still existed.

Also, hi all! I may possibly have delurked before on an old thread to be excited about physics, but I don’t know if that comment ever got through moderation. I enjoy explaining things, even if it probably won’t achieve anything.

Social Justice Cyborg Ninja
Social Justice Cyborg Ninja

Hey, the HTML worked! Yay!

Jarnsaxa
Jarnsaxa

I’m not overly enamored of the Trump stuff, because I listen to NPR every day and hear about whatever horrifying thing he’s done that day there.

The manosphere delvings are more difficult-to-find items that I can’t get elsewhere. Though when the “what is the Alt Right?” talk started up on NPR I knew we were in real trouble…

NOBODY
NOBODY

#ResistTrump-central is the best thing to happen around here. It really shows who’s a poser and who wants to get shit done. It’s the only thing that’s got me checking in again.

As for “blowing off steam”, too bad history shows that devolves very quickly into “unproductive friendly fire” and cliquishness when certain individuals appear to be “looking for a fight”.

I hate the rise of trump and still have a Hail Mary that he’ll get impeached for treason or SOMETHING on the 20th, and would have preferred Hilary won, but the one silver lining is getting the Left’s priorities straight.

I would also suggest, David, that hounding the alt-right and reporting on misogyny IS resisting Trump and everything he stands for.

Good luck.

NOBODY
NOBODY

And, after watching the “Man on Earth” climate change doco narrated by Tony Robinson, the truly ironic thing is half the time it might have been less “hunting” the mammoth, and more picking up after them and scavenging when a herd died from starvation. Not the he-man, ego boosting, romantic image MRAs would like to imagine….

Kat
Kat

???!

Something ‘Extremely’ Concerning Happened in a Confidential Briefing to Congress on Russian Hacking

This morning, members of Congress had a confidential briefing about suspected Russian hacking. We don’t know what exactly was said, obviously, but Democratic members emerged furiously angry, yelling about FBI director James Comey and darkly promising the public will hear more later. So that’s reassuring!

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

I’ve been trying to not say anything about it, because 1. Fighting back is the difference between living to see 2018 and global nuclear annihilation, and 2. David’s sick and feeling this way makes me feel like a selfish jerk… But, to be honest, the “100% Trump, 100% of the time” stuff, even as an accidental side effect of David’s illness, has kinda been making me feel as if women’s rights are being pushed to the back of the queue yet a-bloody-gain. Which always happens, everywhere, with every issue. Ugh…

AND THAT’S THE REAL REASON WHY I’VE BEEN A GRUMPY ASSHOLE ALL WEEK YAY. *hides* >_>;;;

JennyWren
JennyWren

David, I’m not in the US, so the amount that I can actually follow your suggestions is limited, but I’m really enjoying your #ResistTrump posts. They’re important and it seems like the US readers have been following through on your ideas, so they’re making a difference. Keep it up, man.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

I can’t shake off the suspicion that David’s cats have taken over his blog and have up him tied to a radiator. I think they’re just posting “David is ill” so we’ll assume that’s the reason for any changes in writing style.

Don’t be surprised if the next post is “#Resist Trump, by sending cans of tuna to the following PO Box address”

David, if you are ill then get well soon. But if they do have you locked up, try and sneak a message out to us so we can rescue you from your furry oppressors.

Apropos of absolutely nothing, but this just came up on my Twitter feed–thought a few of the regulars might get a laugh out of it.

Ooble
Ooble

Just popping in to echo all the get well soon messages! I only found this blog recently but I really enjoy reading it. I’m another non-USian who can’t do much to #ResistTrump right now, but I understand how important the threads are for those who can.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

I’m sympathetic to SFHC’s feelings about the Trump focus. I also acknowledge that the manosphere and the Trumposphere overlap almost entirely. Most of the usual targets of mockery are on the Trump-train right now. However, I wouldn’t mind having the blog focus specifically on the mammoth hunting-related Trumpist nonsense.

Kat
Kat

@Alan

OMG, I think you’re right!

David, tweet us: “The dog howls at midnight” means you’re okay.

“The dog howls at noon” means you need us to send help. Or possibly pizza, which is a form of help.

Destroy this message!

reimalebario
reimalebario

I made a meme and made myself laugh. Let’s see if I can make this work:

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Apologies for the O/T but there are a few folks here who know a lot about the horror genre so might be of interest.

It’s a call for papers for a conference about the portrayal of women in horror fiction from a feminist perspective. I bet some of our contributors could put forward some great stuff.

rugbyyogi
rugbyyogi

As an American who doesn’t live in America, I would like to say that there are several things you non-Americans can do that would be incredibly helpful.

1) Don’t be mean to Americans! Seriously, despite the fact that I voted against W and opposed him (in admittedly pretty lacklustre ways) I took a lot of shit from the citizens of my host country because of him. 8 years of shit and people who really ought to have known better saying some pretty despicable things to my face. You can’t be on the moral high ground from the gutter. This doesn’t mean put up with bullshit Trump supporters, but you should not assume that Americans – esp those who live abroad, are Trump supporters or enablers.

2) Give monetary support meaningfully. Don’t ever try to support American political orgs, that’s illegal for them (not for you). But why not make a contribution right here or to other individuals who are fighting the good fight.

3) Subscribe to real journalism. This could be in America (e.g. WaPo or NYT or Mother Jones) or it could be in your home country. Journalists need your support more than ever.

4) Ridicule Trump in online fora or report on local ridicule: Trump supporters honestly believe that a vote for Hillary would have put America into international disrepute. It’s amazing, I know, but they believed that. Burst their bubble and show them the reality of how Trump is viewed by well, most people.

5) Fight populism where you are. Don’t believe for a second that it “cannot happen here”. It can. The US, for all its faults and they are many, has one of the oldest continuous democracies in existence…for now. The US Constitution was designed to prevent things like this and it’s mostly worked, until now. If a system DESIGNED to prevent this kind of thing failed to prevent it, then it most certainly can and will happen elsewhere. The fascist axis of the 30s and 40s was able to support each other and it will be the same today. Smash the axis.

Conan the Librarian

I second @rugbyyogi’s suggestions. Certainly we Canadians need to be properly supportive of those Americans who resist the siren song of reactionary authoritarianism, and be prepared to resist it within our own borders.

@htintin
January 13, 2017 at 11:57 pm

It’s not people like you
The men (only men!) who
Hunted the mammoth
The hunting, that some say
Hounded the mammoth
Into extinction

Though some say
It was climate change
Of the type
We have nothing to fear
You hear?

But you, you’re the sort
Who’d protest the mammoth hunt
“Better we starve”, you’d say
“Better that we freeze for lack of clothing
Then to harm a hair
Of that noble beast”

And the others
Would look at you askance
And say “speak for yourself, mate”

Why, even now you protest
The hunting of the straw man
At which I have made myself expert

Anyway, the point I had
Which I believe I did have
I remember I did, before I spoke
Is…
I don’t get the joke

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

A person is a poser if they want to read about something besides Trump sometimes?

So, you antagonized people here in the past, right?

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

The real danger here is in people getting burned out. This includes David, but just in general as well: outrage fatigue is a real thing. People are worked up now, calling their Congresscritters in overwhelming numbers, but as time passes that is going to fade somewhat.

The key is to pace oneself, and I don’t think David is pacing himself at this point. That makes me worry about him.

Hippielady
Hippielady

@Policy of Madness

Congresscritters–love it. 🙂

Dodom
Dodom

If you’re looking for misogyny stuff (it’s not like there was a shortage of it) I got this from Twitter:
In short, a journalist tweeted about being sexually assaulted, and Twitter did the usual “several hundred threatening messages explaining there’s no harrassment”(tm).

kupo
kupo

@Alan
I’ve written such a paper in college! I’ll take a look and send it along to that professor if I can find her contact info.

Falconer
Falconer

“Who’s a poser and who wants to get shit done”

Y’know I’m only making phone calls, right? And it makes me pretty anxious to do so.

I’m not going to grab a gun and ambush the presidential motorcade, mowing down dozens of secret service agents, failing to penetrate the tank that is the presidential limo, all while shouting “Wolveriiiiiiiiiines!”, okay. That is not appropriate action. And I have a family.

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)
EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

Off topic:

SpaceX is about to launch a rocket. Watch the live stream, it’s gonna be cool.

Josh
Josh

I have burnt out a bit on the Trump stuff, personally. I definitely understand why it’s important and I don’t think David should feel bad about posting it, but I often just need a bit of a break from the Orange overlord.

Dalillama, Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles
Dalillama, Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles

@Rugbyyogi

No it wasn’t. It was designed expressly to ensure things like this. It was designed to keep rich white men in charge and PoCs in chains. And it’s mostly worked.

Singerdog
Singerdog
Singerdog
Singerdog

hmmmm…that was just supposed to link to the “accordian to trump” video, not the whole FB page….ah well, I must be off to work…my apologies…

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

Singerdog,

Life Accordion To Trump

Brilliant!

I am constantly amazed at how clever people are, and this includes the posters here, and particularly David…whom I feel is highlighting Trump because of the cabinet confirmations happening, and the inauguration coming up.

I think WHTM will strike its balance, soon.

Adding my fervent wish for David to get well!

Moggie
Moggie

Iseult The Idle:

Also, this little bombshell: US Intelligence officials are warning Israel to be careful about what they reveal to the US going forward, because Russia. Let that sink in a little.

I imagine other US allies are also wondering how safe it is to share intelligence with the US now.

Remember when everyone was laughing about Trump’s reluctance to attend intelligence briefings? That doesn’t seem so funny now, does it?

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Welcome, @Social Justice Cyborg Ninja! Nice to have you! Please, help yourself to one of the welcome baskets settle in!

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ moggie

Our intelligence services have been asking that question for a while now.

LindsayIrene

So Milo and Pharma-Bro teamed up. It’s like a pile of pigeon shit teamed up with a festering ass boil.

tim gueguen

Who has the better “I’m an asshole” expression, Milo or Marty?

And because someone has to say it, #TypingKitty2020

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

From LindseyIrene’s link:

Shkreli later came out of the venue and walked toward the crowd of demonstrators. Footage shows him backing away and walking back to the building.

When asked by a reporter how he feels about the event being canceled, he said, “I think it’s reasonable.”

He does, does he? Oh, ho… O.o

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

Is Milo back on Twitter as @OfNineHostages??

Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy

@PeeVee:

It appears that he is, unfortunately.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

@Scildfreja

As far as I can tell, they do not have any ‘obvious’ ‘Trumpisms’ in their platform (unlike Kellie Leitch and several others). The vote isn’t until May, so I’ll have lots of time to watch what happens and do more digging. Listed below are a few points, but not at all comprehensive:

Maxime http://www.maximebernier.com/home
positive: legalize marijuana; stop corporate welfare(will have to check nuances on this); cancel Saudi arms deal; get rid of omnibus bills; opposes ‘Canadian values’ testing; bilingual

neg: likes two tier health system; ending fed transfer payments for health care; ending funding to CBC and Canada Post; end supply management of farm products; remove tax on capital gains; change CBC’s mandate to mainly ‘public affairs (sounds like turning it into a propoganda machine to me); supports pipelines.

Erin: https://erinotoole.ca/home/
pos: has much more detailed info on his website re: platform; wants healthcare expansions in the north; update Healthcare Act; do more for veterans.

neg: runs on an ‘ideas-based’ platform; assumes that healthcare can only be sustained by balancing the budget first; supports a two-tiered healthcare system; update Healthcare Act (yes i put this twice – dont know if his ideas will work or if just more bait and switch to introduce two tier, gradually phasing out healthcare for those who can’t pay)

And for info on everyone:

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Is “of nine hostages” a reference to Niall, the legendary Irish king?

And if so, any ideas why Milo chose that?

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@Alan,

I had to go and look up Niall (anything to procrastinate). Probably coincidence, but a certain phrase caught my eye on this site:

Trinity’s team of geneticists collected a number of samples from men across Ireland. Their findings led them to the notion that Niall of the Nine Hostages may be the Big Daddy of Ireland

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

I think you’re reading too much into his new name; “Of Nine Hostages” is an anagram for “F*gs [presumably “Normalf*gs,” aka liberals] In The Noose.” It’s not anything clever, it’s just a death threat.

(I’m really good at Scrabble.)

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

Well, Milo’s FB page says “Ireland”, too…

OTOH, I am disappointed he’s back on Twitter, although I am surprised he waited so long.

Headologist
Headologist

@Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

I kinda agree with you re: women being put on the back burner. I don’t know if it will make you feel better or worse, but I found this article today:

Everyone else may also be interested in it. It’s a look at the history of abortion in the US and the ways the current and incoming government threaten the laws protecting reproductive healthcare. It’s biological essentialist (womb = woman) but otherwise very good.

@ thread

I agree with a lot here. As a non-American, the Trump posts aren’t overly relevant to me, although I would love ones that were. (I would also love suggestions for blogs similar to this but UK-centric, if anyone knows of any.) However, I think resisting Trump is important enough to warrant these posts, and still read them all. I also miss the manospherian posts, but worry about David feeling he must be all things to all people and burning out. Personally I’d be happy with a couple of Trump posts and a couple of manosphere posts a week, but whatever happens I will keep reading and sharing and am sure whatever direction David takes the blog in it will remain excellent and important.

One last thing, on the manosphere side of things: one of the LGBT+ groups I’m in linked this pile of toxic masculinity (trigger warnings! For horrendous transphobia, trans erasure, misgendering, and all the shit that comes with toxic manosphere masculinity):

I know tws aren’t the norm here, but it is very bad.
I think there’s an argument to be made about the acceptance of feminine hobbies only when given a male face, but ye gads this made me want to hold up any make up wearing man as my new saviour.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@Headologist,

JFC, that blaze article. No-one with attitudes like that better come near my awesome 14 year old son, ever. I will eat them.

This bit was just disturbing (out of a whole pile of deeply disturbing)

I am very aware of this responsibility with respect to my own sons. I constantly think about how quickly they might go off course as they get older, if I do not take this aspect of my fatherly duty seriously. It’s not enough to simply tell them that they must be men. I have to provide for them a daily, hourly, minute-by-minute demonstration. “This is what a man is. This is what he does. This is how he carries himself. This is how he behaves. This is how he dresses. This is how he speaks.”

Headologist
Headologist

@Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

Yeah, it made me worry for his sons, too. It sounds like they’ll be thoroughly monitored, and the minute they deviate from what this arsehole deems “proper masculinity”…. I just hope they have friends and future partners with welcoming families who will accept and protect those boys for whoever they are.

Ooglyboggles

@Headologist

Indeed, much of what we now call “transgenderism” and “gender non-conforming” and whatever else can be explained very simply: Dad didn’t do his job.

Translation Dad didn’t abuse his kids enough to make them small minded and intolerant.

A young boy cannot possibly come to “identify as a girl” because he doesn’t really know what a girl is, or what he is. He doesn’t understand anything about the gender he’s assuming or the one he’s rejecting. If he understood himself, and loved himself, he would not reject himself. If he is rejecting himself, that probably means that he has not been taught to love or understand himself. A true appreciation for his own masculine nature has not been instilled. And whatever appreciation he naturally possessed was not protected and sustained.

See note where he tries to enforce gender conformity by making out trans people as self loathing.

I hope his kids have other people they can turn to, I don’t see this form of parenting turning out well.

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

Ugh, that article. So much for Glenn Beck trying to reform.

Orion put it very well: the exclusionary definition of masculinity is fundamentally poisonous. Once you start saying “you must do X, Y and Z to earn your maleness”, then you encourage people to believe that their identity is contingent upon the approval of others, and then all sorts of rot creeps in.

@Mish, you sound like an awesome mom. I hope your 14-year-old is less trouble to you than I was when I was that age.

proudfootz
proudfootz

While there is a yuuuuge overlap between Trump fans and manospherians, it’s very easy to come across anti-Trump material on a lot of sites – but there is only one WHTM.