#ResistTrump announcements

Program Note: Yes, this is still We Hunted the Mammoth, not #ResistTrump-central

Me, very soon.

Just a quick note to reassure regular We Hunted the Mammoth readers that this blog hasn’t turned into a #ResistTrump-only blog — despite what it might look like at the moment.

This has been a strange and monumental week politically. And it’s also been a crappy week for me. I’m still feeling a bit under the weather, and so I’ve been devoting my limited energy to getting these #ResistTrump posts out because, holy crap, you saw what happened this week.

Anyway, I’m hoping that I will be able to resume my regular posts shortly. The #ResistTrump posts will continue as well, but they wont be the only thing.

Thanks for your patience, everyone!

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

Get well soon, David!

Bina

Feel better soon! (And that typing kitty always cracks me up, every time!)

eataTREE
eataTREE

I think the biggest threat to the rights and status of women, and all people marginalized for reasons of sex and gender in the Western world right now, is Trump and his “deplorables”. Pointing and laughing at the silly manospherians isn’t working.

If you’ll permit me an allegory: we mocked and laughed at the Manosphere loser and let him know that his views weren’t welcome in the clubhouse of polite society. So he left — but now he’s back with his new friends, the Nazi biker gang. Who are threatening to burn the place down.

Pointing and laughing is easy, but the time for pointing and laughing is over. The time to fight is now.

kupo
kupo

I agree with eataTREE. I was wondering about the direction of the blog back in the Fall when it seemed impossible for us to get to this point, but ever since the election I’ve not once questioned the importance of the political discussion.

And to throw out some more political discussion, have a happy (ish) story:

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

@David

Rest well for as long as you feel you need to. I’m looking forward to laughing at the usual idiots again, but the #Resist threads have been extremely interesting as well. There isn’t much a foreigner can do, besides spread awareness in their own country, and this blog is the best material to show others.

Judas Peckerwood
Judas Peckerwood

@eataTREE

Nope, there’s nothing that precludes us from pointing and laughing AND fighting.

Mocking Trump, the MRAs and related monsters is an important means of exposing their outrageous lies and unconscionable behavior while pissing them off. It’s also an crucial way of keeping ourselves from losing our shit.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

May good health return soon! <3

painteyelash
painteyelash

I hope you feel better soon!

Elizabeth Regina
Elizabeth Regina

Enjoying the Resist Trump stuff.

He’s pure, distilled manosphere with added vitamin C for extra obnoxiousness.

I think it’s important we mock him *and* fight him.

ChrisW
ChrisW

I think what David is doing here is absolutely essential, and everyone should be doing what they can to resist Trump and his stooges. I don’t think it is hyperbole to say that the Trump regime is the biggest detriment to saving the planet from catastrophic climate change that there is.

I’d like to see some ideas about what those of us who live in other countries can do to resist Trump. If anyone has a brilliant suggestion, please let us know!

I hope you’re feeling better soon, David.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

My only suggestion for those in other countries (Speaking as a not-American) is to wake up and start paying close attention to your local scene, things you can effect. Prevent the lying, truth-free nonsense from infecting your own political sphere. Keep them pushed into the margins.

MrsObedMarsh
MrsObedMarsh

Gesundheit!

Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution
Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution

I think the resist Trump threads are an incredible service. As a non-American I’m less likely to personally interact with them, since I would be a distraction, but that doesn’t mean I resent them or wish there were fewer of them.

@Scildfreja

Well said.

Falconer
Falconer

Rest up and get well, David!

I think there’s value in laughing at Trump. He’s so thin-skinned, compelled to respond whenever someone criticizes him.

Getting him so fed up he quits is about as likely as pegging a two-meter exhaust port with a dumb missile, but we can regularly goad him into revealing that he has no chill.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Take your time

mywall
mywall

Get well soon David.

As a brit, I can’t do much about Trump and I kinda have other things to focus on. I’m getting out so I won’t have to fund the haters and their schemes. I hope the nationalists like the thing they voted for.

nparker
nparker

Speaking as both a British person and someone who can’t do much as I’m recovering from a total breakdown (the recovery is going well!), I’d also like to hear ideas on what us non-Americans can do to help. Not necesarily for myself as I’m not sure my mental health will let me do much at all, but for others around me too.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

I do miss the Other Mammoth, but I fully understand the need for the current focus. This affects all of us, not only those in the US (although you guys are in the front line 🙁 ).
A lot of the advice and strategies discussed here are useful and applicable to those of us in other areas of the globe, too.

@Scildfreja,

Too late for that in Aust. I’m afraid. But excellent advice nonetheless – we don’t have a demagogue here, but in many other respects the situations are similar (Australia as US in microcosm, yet again. Sigh).

Yesterday a guy on Twitter was berating a Muslim-Aust woman whom I follow, and telling her to go back to the Middle East (she was born here, but never mind). This guy had a Pepe avatar and a “pro-Trump” tag. According to his bio, he’s Australian 😐

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

I’m British and I think #ResistTrump is the most important thing you can do right now.

Focus on the head of the snake.

This website is a wonderful resource and I’m so happy it’s here, but it’s yours; you’re in charge. Do what you want to do.

Peace and love.

MillenniumCrow
MillenniumCrow

@ChrisW,

This isn’t about resisting Trump per se, but if you’re interested in helping to combat catastrophic climate change (or helping other areas of research), consider downloading BOINC and participating in some of the studies they support:

I participate in climateprediction.net’s Weather At Home program, among others. The best thing about it is that once you’ve set it up, all you need is some idle time on your computer that you’re willing to part with.

It seems to me that as we face the prospect of funding cuts in several areas of research, citizen-science initiatives are going to be increasingly important. Is anyone else involved in one that they’d like to share?

Bluecollarnerd
Bluecollarnerd

So i just got my first job through the union in 2 months, putting up fences for the inaguration. I feel like the guy whos job it was to hang swastica banners in germany.

anon

test

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

So, regarding the peaceful and efficient transition of power: Trump is requesting the resignation of the chief of the D.C. National Guard DURING the Inauguration.

It’s one thing to recall all diplomats immediately. It’s a dick move, and it’s stupid, but it’s his decision. But this is… bizarre.

Major General Schwartz is responsible for security for the Inauguration, but he’ll only be employed until the minute after Trump takes the oath of office. He is then expected to resign and leave.

This actually made me tear up a little: “My troops will be on the street,” he added. “I’ll see them off but I won’t be able to welcome them back to the armory.”

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

@Scildfreja I’ve narrowed down the picks for CPC leader to Maxime Bernier and Erin O’Toole. Any (brief) thoughts? [Yes, I’ll be voting.]

latsot
latsot

David is better than most at pointing and laughing. Especially the pointing. I found my way here because of the pointing and laughing and I’ve learned a few things here, changed my attitude a little.

Don’t dismiss a long game as not working without good reason.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@Fishy Goat, I’ve sort of fallen off the wagon on the CPC race. Can you tell me why you like those too?

PaganReader

Feel better soon, David! We have a cold going around our house, too.
@Iseult
That is horrible, but I can’t say I’m particulary suprised that Squatter Trump is doing something that low.

bearpelt
bearpelt

I keep thinking about it and then forgetting to ask. How does one notify David of things he might wanna write about? I found something rather… special.

And also, I hope you feel better soon, David, if you see this!

RosieLa
RosieLa

Dave…. do you need help with posting? Like, a columnist?
I care so much and don’t want for you to be suffering for us, or to burn out!

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Email? There’s a link at the top of the right sidebar.

bearpelt
bearpelt

@Policy of Madness

Email? There’s a link at the top of the right sidebar.

aaaaaaughghghgh how did i miss that omg *headdesk*
i was like, do i really have to make like a twitter account or something? XD

Falconer
Falconer

@Iseult, christ on a pogo stick, the man’s pettiness knows no limit.

Jason Chaffetz wants to yell at Walter Shaub, head of government ethics, so I guess the pettiness rubs off.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

@bearpelt

David responds to emails pretty quickly. It’s the most reliable way to get in touch with him.

Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution
Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution

@Bluecollarnerd, that’s shitty, but I hope you’re not blaming yourself. It’s not your fault that you need money to live under capitalism.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

I looked at the link the Iseult the Idle shared, too. Each Trump-related headline shows a wee ball of vicious pettiness, doesn’t it?

Dismiss the head of the DC Guard asap
Recall ‘political’ ambassador appointments asap
L L Bean person found to have donated too much to Trump campaign
Trump tweets to his followers: buy L L Bean
Chief of Ethics reminds all of endorsement rules after L L Bean tweet
Chaffetz threatens Chief of Ethics

WOW. Just wow.

Bluecollarnerd
Bluecollarnerd

I console myself with the fact that this job needs to be done no matter who is being inaugurated.

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

It really feels like he’s dismissing ALL political appointees, no matter how long they’ve served, because at this point they were either appointed by President Obama or one of the Presidents Bush, and he hates all of them. My gut says that he will replace them with Trump loyalists.

Not Republicans, necessarily. Not conservatives, necessarily.

Trump loyalists.

Also, this little bombshell: US Intelligence officials are warning Israel to be careful about what they reveal to the US going forward, because Russia. Let that sink in a little.

Lea
Lea

Thanks for all you do and get well soon.

Ooglyboggles

@Iseult The Idle
Trump loyalists vs other gop and dems
This is going to be rough.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I’ve got to go against the crowd here. I’m already burnt out from all Trump all the time and he hasn’t even taken office yet. I’d prefer a resist Trump once or twice a week and a mocking manosphere thing the rest of the time. There are a bazillion politics blogs out there, but this was the only mocking misogyny site I know of. I’d hate to lose that. It’s a good way to blow off steam.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

I’m here for you guys. Write what you feel you ought, David. I’m sure you’ll consider what everyone wants, and will come to a good balance.

htintin
htintin

I don’t agree, you’d better change the name of this site :

1 – you only writing for anti-trump for 6 month
2 – It’s not people like you who hunted the mammoth, at that time you will probably defend the mammoth against man oppression …

Kat
Kat

@Bluecollarnerd
Sometimes a worker’s gotta do what a worker’s gotta do.

Not all of my clients have had politics that aligned with my own.

You can still resist Trump in your own ways.

Kat
Kat

@htintin

I don’t agree, you’d better change the name of this site :

1 – you only writing for anti-trump for 6 month

I get that you’re a manospherian.

But beyond that, huh?

Catalpa
Catalpa

The #ResistTrump posts are very important, and you’re doing good work! I certainly don’t begrudge you putting in the effort to hinder the efforts of what is essentially the embodiment of all the awful and toxic sentiments that have been mocked on this blog. It’s even more admirable that you do this while feeling ill! Take care of yourself, and don’t push yourself too hard.

…As a non-American, I also wouldn’t be opposed to any posts that might have suggestions about how non-citizens might help in the fight against facism and bigotry in the States (since all the rest of us are also impacted by what the US does) and in the rest of the world. That said, I do understand that you have to pick things to focus on, and it’s easier to employ leverage with people who have governmental representatives than it is for those of us who do not.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@htintin,

I don’t understand at all what you’re trying to say. Take it slow, it’s okay! We don’t bite!

Kat
Kat

@Iseult The Idle

Effin’ A.

Here’s more from that article:

American intelligence officials expressed despair at the election of Trump during a recent meeting with their Israeli counterparts, Bergman reported. They said that they believed that Putin had “leverages of pressure” over Trump, though they did not elaborate.

Effin’, effin’ A.

LindsayIrene

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I probably would have enjoyed me some mammoth steaks if I’d lived 20,000 years ago.

Shadowplay
Shadowplay

@LindsayIrene:

Always loved this one (and the whole story arc) and it fits.

Remmet
Remmet

I’m glad there’ll be a bit normalcy back here soon. I’ve stopped checking every day because I’m not American and I can only read so much about Trump.

1 2 3