#ResistTrump homophobia misogyny trump

#ResistTrump today by calling your senators about sleepy weirdo Ben Carson

Ben Carson: Lost in space

Set aside pee jokes for a few minutes and call your senators about Ben Carson, Trump’s terrible pick for Housing and Urban Development.

If you’ve been calling about Trump’s other picks, you know the drill.

Get phone numbers and other contact info for your senators here.

Carson is testifying before the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs; check here to see if either of your senators is on the committee.

Tell the staffer who takes your call who you are, and note that you are one of the senator’s constituents — i.e., someone who will actually be voting for or against them in future elections.

Raise your concerns about Carson.

Like, say, the fact that he has absolutely no expertise on housing issues and no experience in government at all; he’s a retired neurosurgeon. Not only that, but when the possibility of a cabinet position for him was first raised he said that he felt unqualified to run a federal agency.

Carson is also a raging homophobe with regressive views on women’s issues. And he holds a number of odd beliefs that raise questions about his judgement, to put it mildly. In the brief video below, he explains a few of his, er, positions.

The video below has nothing to do with Ben Carson, but, I dunno, it’s pretty great.

Back to your call about Carson.

Ask if the senator plans to vote against Carson, or if they have spoken out against him; offer support if they say yes, tell them that you are disappointed if they say no.

If they are on the Banking Committee, encourage them to give Carson the “extreme vetting” he deserves, or something along these lines.

If you can’t call, writing a personalized email is also effective. See my posts here and here for more advice on how to call/write your reps.

And here’s some advice on calling politicians if you have social anxiety.

See my post here for a schedule of all the cabinet confirmation hearings this week.

Falconer

Oh just listen to that soothing, soporific tenor. That’ll put you right to sleep. You won’t even care about the regressive DARVO-ing things it says.

Bob Corker’s phones are still blown up, but I got through to someone in Lamar Alexander’s DC office and left a comment encouraging Mr. Alexander not to vote to confirm Dr. Carson.

Go me.

I think I’ll have to start emailing Corker.

Pie
Pie

In his defence, Carson has worked very hard to dispel the myth that brain surgeons are particularly intelligent people.

PaganReader

One of my senators is on this committee. I wonder if I should remind him that he complained that his opponent would ‘be a rubber stamp for Hillary’ again so soon.

Playonwords
Playonwords

He said this:

Carson: It will not be my intention to do anything to benefit any American.
Read more at http://wonkette.com/610394/ben-carson-is-idiot-all-over-his-own-confirmation-hearings#RUczeFtgkMBCmUPg.99

Mistake or Freudian slip?

IT WILL NOT BE MY INTENTION TO DO ANYTHING TO BENEFIT ANY AMERICAN

oh my god — so much laughage!

PaganReader

I looked at my senator’s tweets after emailing him. I doubt he’s actually going to listen to me. Ah well. I tried.
I mentioned that quote from Carson in the email. I also asked him to give Carson the same vetting he would if Obama had nominated him instead of Trump.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

@Falconer But he’ll do anything to benefit the Putonian Overlord? 😉

GODDAMMIT

12 Democratic Senators voted against a Democratic provision to import drugs from Canada, seeing as how we’re all going to be losing our healthcare.

Who voted for the provision? Every other Democrat in the Senate and 12 Republicans including John McCain, Rand Paul and TED MOTHERFUCKING CRUZ

Seraph4377

@PaganReader – It’s not just about changing his mind on this one particular issue. It’s about keeping on the pressure. It’s about keeping his staff harried and stressed. It’s about making him nervous about the next election. After all, he doesn’t know you’re some bleeding-heart Democrat liberal who would never vote for him anyway. All he knows is that you’re a constituent. And if his phone and email inbox are blowing up all day every day, that means that there are a lot of engaged voters who want him to do something other than what he’s doing. What if they all turn out next election? He counts on a low turnout among everybody but scared old white people. Maybe he’d better throw these bleeding hearts a bone…

Think of it this way (and forgive the violence of the analogy): dozens of bullets are fired in combat for each hit. Does that mean the other bullets were useless? No. If the enemy is forced to keep their head down, if they have to retreat, if they’re denied territory, if they have to change their plan, then the bullets have done their job.

Monster-Teeth
Monster-Teeth

Much like the rest of Chump’s cabinet, Carson has the same level of empathy as Hannibal Lecter.

Seraph4377

@ Falconer – Right. Time for their mailboxes and inboxes to get flooded with angry calls and emails. A big part of the next few years is going to be keeping our Democratic senators and reps in line and making them fear the primary if they don’t present a united front.

Falconer

Obama just presented Joe Biden with a Medal of Freedom.

They’ll scream cronyism and favoritism. Let ’em. He deserves the medal. It’ll probably be the last one that means a damn for years.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Called 1, need to rest up before I call the other. Stressful af! For those who could use a reassuring pick me up after 4 days of this shit, remember that Trump is historically unpopular. Approval rating 37%, majority in opposition. This will only get worse for him as he actually tries to lead. The resistance is never as small as it might seem. Get in on the ground floor, and contact your senators, everyone!

iknklast
iknklast

He counts on a low turnout among everybody but scared old white people

Hey, you just gave me my in with my Senator (also on this committee) – I am white, I am (cough,cough) old, at least according to the standards of a youth culture, and damn, am I scared, thanks to November 8. So…scared old white person me, I’ll e-mail Ben Sasse, and suggest that Carson is a bad deal for me, for him, for scared old white people everywhere, and maybe that will get him? Because he is a bad idea for all those “scared old white people” that voted for Trump, even if they don’t realize that yet.

PaganReader

I’m going to keep emailing him. Even if I’m just an annoying thorn in his side, I’m going to keep my Republican mother updated on this. I might be a bleeding heart liberal who would never vote for him, (seriously, that was so accurate it was almost scary) but my mother isn’t. And by the time he’s up for reelection, I could probably have converted her to my side. Heh heh heh.

leftwingfox
leftwingfox

Favorite comment overheard regarding man bites dog narratives:

“If Trump put on his white hood, it wouldn’t be newsworthy. If Ben Carson did so, that would raise eyebrows.”

…to which another replied:

“If Ben Carson put on a white hood, I wouldn’t assume racism, I would just assume that Carson forgot how pillows work.”

Seraph4377

@ iknklast – great idea. It’s important for old white people to use their powers for good, rather than just trying to force the culture-at-large back to the days when they were the only people who mattered. Here I’m thinking of Patrick Stewart.

I myself am only a middle-aged white person, a middle-aged white guy, to be specific, and I’m thinking of wearing a suit and tie to protests to make it harder to dismiss the protesters as a bunch of dirty hippies or brats throwing a tantrum.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

Not strictly relevant, but I’m genuinely intrigued.

Carson struck a blow for freeze peach in the clip by uttering the words ” Nazi Germany”, despite “political correctness” telling him not to. As a card-carrying feminist and PC something-or-other, did I miss a memo?

I mean, obviously it’s not correct to refer to Germany that way if you’re talking about a time other than 1933-45. Not politically, just factually.

Plus, as evidenced by his usage in the clip, reference to it is best used sparingly, because comparisons to Nazi Germany are often huge over-statements, and the user risks Godwinning all over the shop. By which I mean that it usually demonstrates the user has nothing helpful left to say and has lost the argument. But again, that’s advice rather than a PC rule, and he can say it if he likes. I’m all for him signalling he’s lost the argument.

All I can come up with is it being a touch disrespectful to victims of the Nazi regime to trivialise their experiences by analogy. But that’s all I’ve got.

Other than guessing that he’s straw manning in order to look like leadership material. Yuck.

numerobis
numerobis

Please don’t import your drugs from Canada. When you do, phrma starts to restrict access to drugs in Canada. Our market is small enough that they can afford to do that, but our government compliant enough that we don’t do like India and tell phrma to just bugger off with its bullshit of using “patents” and “intellectual property” as an excuse to let people die.

eli
eli

Seriously, numerobis, why are we (the US) trying to solve our prescription drug affordability problem by trying to sponge off Canada? I know people are really that stupid, but come on…

Shadowplay
Shadowplay

@Falconer

Don’t email. Keep phoning until you get through.

Your first unsolicited email will get read. Your second will probably get read. Your third will most likely get you a coveted place in the crank filter to be subsequently ignored.

It doesn’t matter what flavor your rep or senator is – they all do that.

Kat
Kat

This book — slapped together (albeit in a disciplined way) in two weeks — looks like it could be valuable.

Surviving President Trump: “This happened,” author Gene Stone says, “because not enough of us did something”
The writer behind the crisp, pragmatic “Trump Survival Guide” tells Salon about his blueprint for action, CODE B

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ pie

the myth that brain surgeons are particularly intelligent people

Well, brain surgery’s not exactly rocket science is it?

Margot
Margot

Can anyone explain to me what this means in practice? http://theslot.jezebel.com/the-senate-started-dismantling-obamacare-in-the-middle-1791112847

It’s about dismantling Obamacare; I’m not too familiar with how the American system works, so does this mean that there’ll soon be real life, noticable consequences for US citizens, or does it simply mean ”they’re working on replacing it and it’ll take forever but they started”?

In the Jezebel article, they placed this link: https://apnews.com/1792f4029b9d49a39e5676d89be9c82a?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

So what this means is that they’re dismantling the ACA, and plan to replace it with something else, but don’t have an actual good plan/idea yet?

If so, when will they be able to repeal the ACA? And… there’ll just be a void/gap in the mean time, before they make a replacement?

“We’re going to do repeal and replace, very complicated stuff,” Trump told reporters

Oof, that sounds scary.

But this means in practice that they’ll repeal it soon with no backup or alternative?

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

seraph4377

Well worth doing. And to jog your possibly too young to remember memory, many anti-war Vietnam era protesters were very conservative, church-going, hats, gloves and handbag types. Same thing goes for the women’s movement.

leftwingfox
leftwingfox

Margot: What they passed was a resolution to direct the ACA to be dismantled through the budget process, which will prevent a filibuster.

Mitch McConnell and Trump’s stated plan is to repeal the ACA then come up with an alternative “eventually”. There are still a few within the Republican party who think this is a terrible idea, and want an alternative to replace the ACA immediately, since tearing up the ACA and claiming some nebulous solution will come “soon” results in a lot of uncertainty for insurance companies.

Unless the Republican Senators hold firm on that, this means with simple majority votes in the future, there will soon be laws eliminating subsidies and the medicaid expansion, insurance companies will once again be allowed to discriminate against pre-existing conditions, and create plans which cover virtually nothing to keep the premium costs down.

Falconer

@Margot, it’s a procedural thing. If the Rs just introduce a bill to repeal the ACA in the Senate using the normal procedures, then the Ds can filibuster it and prevent it from ever passing, the same way the Rs were obstructionist for the last 8 years. (A filibuster is a tactic to take up all the debate time and prevent a vote.) What they’ve passed allows them to repeal the ACA using budget reconciliation, which does not allow a filibuster because the Democrats killed the filibuster back in 2013 because the Republicans were being so obstructionist.

They don’t have a replacement. They’ve had many years to come up with a replacement, and they haven’t. They just want to repeal it so that they can give tax cuts to lots of people and increase taxes on the poorest.

They can’t even agree on when to replace it. Trump just promised that it’d be replaced right away, but some Senators want to vote now and delay the effects until after the midterms.

It’s a clusterfuck and there’s a real chance that insurance companies are going to remove themselves from the exchanges in the meantime, which would be a disaster.

EDIT: Ninjas!!

rugbyyogi
rugbyyogi

yes, if GOP is smart (and they are, in a crafty way) they will repeal ACA now but that law won’t come into effect until 2019 or whenever – essentially they time limit it. This gives them the opportunity to say “in the mean time we’ll come up with something great” and then they won’t come up with anything great – or they won’t come up with anything at all.

Falconer

And in the meantime, the insurance companies weasel out of the exchanges, the exchanges collapse, and the ACA and thousands of people die.

EDIT: Got through to Lamar Alexander’s local office and asked encouraged him not to confirm Puzder, the Labor secretary pick.

Margot
Margot

@ leftwingfox and Falconer:

Thank you for your explanation! I’m scared for American people now… Republicans care so much about ”life” that they’re doing extremely irresponsible stuff like this. Terrible.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Yeah, Republicans and their deep concern about life

I need a better fluttershy-rolling-her-eyes gif. I really do.

All they care about is making everyone else shut up and disappear. Everything else is just convenient excuses.

Falconer

@Margot, and it’s gone on forever.

comment image

That’s Geo. H. W. Bush there.

Political cartoons from 30 years ago ought to be completely opaque.

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina
GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

There are any number of parliamentary tricks that can be used by Congresscritters to avoid taking responsibility for votes. One of the most venerable is to vote for a bill, and then vote against providing the funds to carry it out.

In the Senate, bills are passed by a simple majority, but it takes 60 votes to end debate and proceed to voting on the bill. This is the filibuster. A “reconciliation bill” cannot be filibustered but can only deal with money; thus it can be used to strip funding but not repeal Obamacare. The Republicans are currently trying out the idea of threatening to disapprove the continuation of CHIP — the children’s health insurance plan, which must be reauthorized this year; the Democrats don’t have enough votes to continue it, but the “optics” of killing health insurance for kids is pretty terrible.

The Republican problem is that 75% of USians don’t want Obamacare repealed unless there is an adequate replacement. They could do it in a sneaky manner by ending the unpopular individual mandate, which might get 8 Democratic votes and would send the insurance companies scurrying away — they aren’t going to let you wait until you get sick to buy a policy and still agree to cover pre-existing conditions. But there is a substantial part of the Republican base that wants Obamacare killed instantly by being bashed over the head with a blunt instrument with plenty of resulting gore, and then the Republicans would have to own the resulting chaos.