Uncategorized

Open Thread to discuss all things Trump, I mean holy crap

Have at it, folks. No Trump fans, etc.

Lone Galtian Bootstrapper
Lone Galtian Bootstrapper

Apart from all the other things that make Trump revolting and awful and unfit for his position (OMG SO UNFIT), the one thing I’ve been thinking of today is how much damage he is doing to the already ‘wobbly’ reputation of the US worldwide.

Almost no one outside of the US istaking him even the slightest bit seriously whatsoever. So instead of making America great again, he is making America More Ridiculous.

dr. ej
dr. ej

I saw part of the press conference and he didn’t seem to give much information. I’m not sure what the point was (unless it was to distract from something else, which is entirely possible).

In other news, my dad tried to tell me that Fox News has a liberal bias. I don’t know which Fox News he’s been watching, but it must be different from the one I’ve seen.

Cynical Optimist
Cynical Optimist

So I’ve heard a lot of bullshit reasons for voting/supporting Trump, but for some reason the one I heard today struck me as especially bullshit.

“I want to see more capitalism.”

I mean, I’m not even sure if they’ve realize what country they’re living in at this point. They started on the slippery slope when they said the didn’t like the need-based ACA because it didn’t treat everyone equally and it looks like they’ll go downhill from there.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

dr. ej : as usual, reality have a liberal bias. So if Fox ever have covered something true, it henceford have a liberal bias.

kale
kale

I wish people were more disgusted by literally raping children. I dont really care if adults wanna do consensual relatively safe stuff I find gross. I mean yea I can laugh at it but at the end of the day who cares.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

Oh, sweet! My very own opportunity to blog about Trump!

That’s an article about the time the company that owns Mountain Dew asked people to vote for the name of a new flavor of The Dew, allowing write-ins. In the screenshot accompanying the article, you can see that the two most popular options were the write-ins “Hitler Did Nothing Wrong” and “Gushing Granny.” I want to bring this up because I want to remind everyone that Donald Trump being elected president of the United States is a natural evolution of pranks like this one.

Donald Trump is a joke. Even the people who support him know that he is a joke. His being a joke is exactly the reason he was elected. Yes, an idiot was given the Electoral College for teh lulz. Remember that whenever you have a conversation with a Trump supporter. They are completely aware of his incompetence, and would not have voted for him if he wasn’t a perfect storm of a shitty human being, if he had any redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Donald Trump has always been a joke. This is public knowledge. Remember The Apprentice? A dozen random human beings, made to look as awful as possible, are enticed to compete and backstab one another. And what reward is given to the most callous, most devious person who survives an entire season of that show? An opportunity to grovel before Donald Trump. He was a punchline to a cruel practical joke where people were tricked into humiliating themselves on television.

And now we’re seeing a joke played on Washington insiders exactly like that played on The Apprentice’s contestants. Look at Ted Cruz backpedal and apologize for suggesting people “vote their conscience.” Look at Chris Christie meekly accept one humiliation after another. Look at Newt Gingrich publicly apologize after suggesting that perhaps Donald Trump wasn’t really interested in “draining the swamp.”

Trump supporters watch politicians expose themselves as valueless charlatans when exposed to Trump, and they say, “mission accomplished.”

Keep that in mind when you oppose Trump. When speaking to people inclined to support Trump, remember that for them Trump’s stupidity is an asset, not a liability. Keep in mind that Trump supporters can be your ally, in that they laugh and jeer when someone abandons morals and pretense to work with him, just as we should. Mock and jeer Trump himself. Turn it into a spectator sport. Remember that Trump supporters don’t actually like the man, and consider him as big a joke as you do; find common ground with your opponents in laughing at him.

Keep in mind too that not only is Trump a joke, but on top of his many, many other flaws, he isn’t even smart enough to realize he’s a joke. Don’t try to be subtle. Don’t try using left-handed complements. Don’t use sarcasm. As unlikely as it is that Trump will ever see the things that you personally say about him, never, ever speak a word of him that could even vaguely be interpreted as positive. Alternately, be as snide and shade-throwing as possible, just on the miniscule chance he sees your insults and thanks you for the words he can’t even comprehend as insulting.

I am slightly afraid of being flippant. I know if you’re a woman, or black, or an immigrant, or LGBTQ, Trump is legitimately dangerous to you. But even if you’re a black translesbian who migrated to the US from Morocco, he’s still a joke. He’s still beneath you. He, and any politician who tries to get in his good graces, are still worthy only of contempt.

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

@dr ej:

That is legitimately the worst thing I’ve heard all day.

(Are you back in the States for good, now?)

@banned@4chan.org (we need a nickname for you that doesn’t have an @ in it):

That’s an excellent analysis, thank you. May I quote it to people?

Lucrece
Lucrece

Mammotheers – I know you’re probably all committed to the cause of resistance, which is a grand thing, but if anyone just needs to get outta Dodge as it were, I’m a single female living in Australia and all proposals would be considered.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

@EJ
I’d be honored

Snork Maiden
Snork Maiden

Apparently 4chan are claiming responsibility for having supplied fake documents about this Moscow scandal. Odd that they would be trying to embarrass Trump?

dr. ej
dr. ej

@EJ
I’m not sure. I’ve been applying for a lot of jobs and most of them are in the US, but there is always a possibility that I will find something abroad.

Also, if anyone is interested the Washington Post has a pretty funny recap of the press conference.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

FWIW we now know the source of the information is Christopher Steele. He was an MI6 officer posted to the British Embassy in Moscow. He had a pretty senior cover position there which would suggest he was at least second in command (maybe first) of the SIS office there.

He now runs a company called Orbis (along with some other ex 6 people). They specialise in providing business intelligence in regards to Russia and Asia. They have a particular niche in cyber security.

Of course that doesn’t mean the information provided is correct but it’s a company that one would imagine was keen to keep its excellent reputation; and CIA seemed to think it worthy of consideration.

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

@ Snork Maiden – It could be a kind of double-play, where they think they can discredit the reports by laying claim to their origin, thereby defending Drumpf?

Maybe Putin himself is behind the leak, the media reports, the defense of Drumpf and the 4chan trolls, in order to stir up enough controversy that it diverts attention from whatever else is going on.

What if the entire US Election was just Putin’s Realpolitik at work, and it’s all just been a huge diversion from something that has taken over 3 months to accomplish?
All bets are off thses days. I feel like I might as well reach straight for the conspiracy theories.

Schnookums Von Fancypants, Purveyor of Misandrist Klondike Bars
Schnookums Von Fancypants, Purveyor of Misandrist Klondike Bars

@Lucrece

Stop, you had me at hello.

(I am, of course, just teasing, but it was the nicest offer I’ve had all day) 😉

LindsayIrene

In 2009, Obama had Bruce Springsteen play at his inauguration.

In 2017, Trump will have… the world’s most popular Springsteen cover band.

PaganReader

@Sinkable John
Thank you. I didn’t get SFHC’s picture until you said that.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

TIME FOR JEERING!

I’d love to hear the reactions of Cait’s far more interesting trans friends from her short-lived reality TV series, I Am Cait.

kale
kale

Most trans ppl I know (I am one) dont like Caitlyn bc of shit like this.

LindsayIrene

Ugh. “What are all you LGBTs worried about? Trump is friends with Caitlyn Jenner!”

Dalillama: Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles.
Dalillama: Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles.

what kale said. I loathe that woman.

BritterSweet

Thanks, David, for introducing me to Chuck Tingle. I didn’t hear much about this pee-related stuff, but he is on it. Butts and dinosaurs make lots of things better.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I hope no one minds a totally off topic question. This one goes out to our dear troll Miggy Toes if he’s reading.

Does anyone here know a lot about gynecology?

My period came 5 days early. I’m typically very regular and almost never deviate from a 27-29 day cycle. The only two things I can think of that might cause menstrual cycle changes are that I gave up meat just recently and I was sick last week. Those things both seem more likely to cause a late or missing period than an early one though. And can a vegetarian diet really have an effect in only 11 days?

Sorry for the off topic TMI. I was just hoping someone had any ideas about what gives. ETA: I’m not on any medication and I don’t take hormonal BC.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

If wwth has an ob-gyn or even a GP, this would be a good question to ask them. However, I suspect that even with your own doctor, you’d be counseled to just watch and call back if something really weird happens like menstruating for much longer or much more heavily than normal.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Yeah, at this point I’m not concerned about my health. I’m sure it’s not a big deal. I more just found it puzzling and annoying that it showed up early out of nowhere. I was just kind of curious if a dietary change could have an effect that quickly.

All the Google searching I did pretty much said any little thing ever can make your periods wonky.

Headologist
Headologist

I don’t know what could be causing period woes, but as someone with endometriosis and who thus has never had a regular period in my life I am intrigued and now trying to think of everything I’ve ever read on phytoestrogens (is that what they call the stuff in soy?) even though I’m pretty sure it’s been roundly debunked.

Nequam
Nequam

Now if only we could get this chap to play the Inauguration…

Kat
Kat

Russian Parliament Passes Law Decriminalizing Domestic Violence Through First Round of Votes

Of course it did.

And of course it was introduced by a woman, in this case ultraconservative Russian lawmaker Yelena Mizulina.

Kat
Kat

TW: Violence against women

This article is from 2008:

Every Hour, One Russian Woman Dies At The Hands Of A Male Family Member

TW: Violence against women

Kat
Kat

@Hu’s On First

What if the sex worker IS an ape?

I know that you weren’t trying to make a joke out of this animal’s suffering.

But I do feel a need to point out an unbearably sad fact: this ape was a sex slave, not a sex worker.

@WWTH I know stress/change in routine can make a period start early–I’m very regular, but have had experiences of periods starting early if I’m travelling. And I’ve had a lot of personal and anecdotal experience in general of ‘my body always does x…until it doesn’t.’ Things just change as you get older.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Another off topic, but you know are there are some legendary troll occurrences around here? You read about them when you first arrive here. Well, I always read stories about how MRAL’s first time socking as a fake woman. He outed himself when he expressed when he expressed excitement about seeing a woman’s bra in the laundry room. For whatever reason, this was my favorite troll of yore story ever.

I finally found the thread where it happened!

Sorry for more randomness. I’m kind of in a weird mood tonight!

comment image

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ WWTH

I asked some of my vegan advocacy friends and they say that it’s really common for menstrual cycles to change when people shift to a veggie or vegan diet. Quite often periods stop altogether for a while too.

There are all sorts of theories why. There is some proper research into this but that hasn’t pinned it down to a single cause. The general medical conclusion seems to be that changing diets often correlates to other changes in lifestyle or circumstances and it may be those that are actually having an affect. Veggie diets can also involve a change in uptake levels of all sorts of things, especially iron and fat, and those can have an affect too apparently.

There is some support for my vegan friends’ favourite theory that you’re no longer being affected by all the hormones that are pumped into animals in commercial farming.

There’s also support for a theory my friends don’t subscribe to that shifting away from dairy products to soya based alternatives also has a hormonal affect (soy milk can emulate oestrogen).

Sheila Crosby

I notice that the dossier alleges that the Russians offered Trump “various lucrative real estate development business deals in Russia” and Trump didn’t take up any of them.
Assuming this is true, either
a) Trump didn’t have the funds, or
b) he doesn’t know a good deal when it’s offered, or
c) both.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

This is as hilarious as it was predictable. Those kids who did that freedom song at Trump’s rally are now suing him because he stiffed them over payment.

Joekster-betas bearded, sheeple shamed, dragons derailed. Reasonable rates.
Joekster-betas bearded, sheeple shamed, dragons derailed. Reasonable rates.

@wwth (the following should be taken with this grain of salt: I’m a geriatritian, so most of my patients no longer have periods. Therefore, I’ve a GP’s knowledge of the subject, not a gynacologist’s): I’d suspect the dietary change myself. 11 days is too short for the nutritional deficiencies to kick in, but there’s more than a bit of backing for Alan’s theory about hormones, both in animal meat and soy products (if you’re using soy as a protein source.

There are various diseases that can cause menstrual irregularities, such as fibroids, endometriosis, and the like, but I wouldn’t go down that rabbit hole based on a single early period (unless it’s also abnormally heavy as well)

There is another possibility, but I’m not sure the best way to politely raise it. I’ll just jump in. The ‘change of life’ often starts with more irregular periods. I have no idea as to your age, so I don’t know if that applies at all, but if your in your 40’s or 50’s, that could be what you are dealing with, and the dietary change could be coincidence.

Ultimately, if you were my patient, I’d probably advise you to keep an eye on it and let me know about further problems. A single irregular period could be coincidence. A pattern of irregular periods is more concerning.

Hope this helps.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

@PaganReader

Yeah it took me a good while to figure it out. Glad I could help another who didn’t catch it immediately :p

Margot
Margot

I think, if I were an American, I WOULD care about the piss stuff. Not because of the ”icky” or ”perverted” fetish or anything like that, but because apparently, his pettiness and thin-skinned rage after the 2011 roast by Obama was so bad, that he even felt the need to express his hatred and anger by defiling the bed that Obama slept in. As in, that’s supremely unhealthy and bizarre. Who even thinks of doing that, years after some jokes that you disliked?!

Nequam
Nequam

@Margot: The kind of man who holds a grudge for almost 30 years over a tossed-off insult?

(The article is from 2015. The earliest use of “short-fingered vulgarian” was apparently 1988.)

Margot
Margot

Nequam: Wow, that’s bizarre and scary. I can’t keep my eyes off the news these days. I can’t believe what I see. It actually feels surreal, as in surrealistic.

Conan the Librarian
Conan the Librarian

Meanwhile the Senate has moved ahead with plans to deprive millions of health insurance, and the rumor mill is rife with Republican schemes to hold other programs, like child health care, hostage to force Democrats to vote for some shoddy “replacement”.

Note: They only need 51 Senate votes to pass a budget measure defunding “Obamacare” but currently need 60 to pass a replacement.

Falconer
Falconer

@Margot, the same guy who still sends big old glossy photos of himself with his hands circled (in gold Sharpie, no less!) to the guy who once called him a “short-fingered vulgarian” over 20 years ago.

The guy who calls anybody who crosses him “over-rated,” “failing,” “sinking” or just plain old “sad.”

And to top it all off, I can’t remember whether I read this here or elsewhere, ‘short-fingered’ doesn’t even mean someone has physically short fingers. ‘Short fingers, long pockets’ refers to someone who’s happy to spend other people’s money but not his own. So he doesn’t even understand the insult.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Here’s a thought I wanted to share.

French sociologist and writer Julien Salingue (by the way, that guy’s awesome, look him up if you can read French) believes that we’re living in a time where, more than ever, anything is possible. The best can happen just as well as the worst.

He says he figured that due to events that happened years ago, namely how Clément Méric died at the hands of fascists, and how the Greek government gutted national TV and radio – those events but also the reactions they elicited across the world.

So yeah, Trump and the “alt”-right weren’t a thing yet when he formulated that idea, but I think it’s still valid even with the recent events. Actually, maybe even more, because those events had much more reach.

So, huh, yeah, the worst has already happened. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t any room left for the best. I get to see all the crap from outside the US, but I also see Resistance popping up everywhere, the kind that brings to mind what happened in France during the Nazi occupation – the kind that definitely deserves the Big R. That right there is exactly what Salingue means : the best is definitely within reach. You guys have mounted your Resistance, and I think that alone not only proves you’re already winning, but that it won’t stop at Trump either. I think such a movement is what was needed before Trump, and I think it can do much more than stop the Orange Menace.

A lot of progress happened in France after fascism was booted out, mainly because progressives had gained power from their heavy involvement in the Resistance. You’ve got a similar opportunity, with additional difficulties that our Resistants didn’t have to deal with, but I think you can deal with those too.

So please keep on Resisting. You pull that off, you’ll have a chance to create a better world for all of us (but no pressure, heh.)

Gussie Jives
Gussie Jives

@banned@4chan.org

A cogent analysis to be sure, but I think that’s still only half the picture. Putting Donald Trump in the White House is certainly a natural extension of Boaty McBoatface and 4th line goon John Scott being voted NHL All Star Game captain to a certain brand of nihilistic chan-surfing edgelord who believes himself (it’s likely a guy) to be too clever for “the system” and just needs to prove himself by breaking it, but everything I’ve read regarding his hardcore supporters suggests to me they put him there to do two things:

1. Simply occupy the space meant to be occupied by a white conservative straight Christian man (or at least somebody willing to tell them they’re right). These people ignored politics in the George W. Bush era for a reason and they want to return to that familiarity. Any hardships they face (economic, environmental) can be safely blamed on liberals who hate God.

There’s a lot of ink that’s been spilled about the Trump voter, what they want, why they thought he would do it, what their anxieties are, whether it was racism or the economy etc. The Deep Story is easily the most complete picture drawn, but I think even that comes up just short of what it is that will actually satisfy a Trump voter, which is simply not to challenged on anything. Don’t challenge their belief in God. Don’t challenge their faith in the free market. Don’t challenge their belief on gender. Don’t challenge their faith in racial order. Whatever needs to happen so they can turn on the TeeVee and never see anything that challenges them the way Barack Obama did day in and day out for the past eight years.

2. Hurt “the other.” It’s not mandatory if there’s a status quo that benefits the in group and the out group knows their place, but if “the other” gets too noisy, drop a train on them.

You’re absolutely correct that a lot of his supporters view him as the joke that he is, but then whatever clownishness he has will not impact 1 or 2. Hypocrisies abound as they brush off his massive conflicts of interests, his sexual assaults, his extramarital affairs, corruption, thrall to foreign powers (!)… as long as he functions in the advancement of 1 and 2 (in that order), they’ll accept anything.

I’m convinced the one thing, the only thing that can break the spell of Trump for his base is to admit wrongdoing to a press they perceive as liberal. Admitting liberals were right about anything will make you persona non grata, just ask Mann and Orenstein.

The Pepe brigade will of course be there to support him, but I’m hesitant to lend them more power than they actually have. The True Believers like your Angelins and Spencers are mixing with the attention trolls like Milo for cover and they’re definitely an attention grabbing bunch, but the rest are not interested in ruling as much as they are hacking systems (or so it would seem).

I could be wrong on that last point, but that’s how I read them.

Hambeast (fan of diversity)
Hambeast (fan of diversity)

wwth – I started perimenopause in my late 30s and endured menstrual fuckery until I started menopause in my early 50s. Hope it’s just the change in diet, though!

I didn’t watch the Orange Julius Caesar’s speech* but caught a portion of it on the Rachel Maddow show. Dumbfuck thinks the leaked dossier was put together and leaked by U.S. intelligence** when all reports say it came from a private intelligence group and was leaked by BuzzFeed. Katie help us!

*I don’t watch political speeches; it saves a whole lot of yelling at the teevee machine.

**Not that they couldn’t have something to do with it, but it seems doubtful.

Pie
Pie

@Hambeast

I dunno about “thinks”, to be honest. He’s got a throbbing rage-on for the CIA and the DNI right now, and he’ll say what he likes to provide a pretext for dismembering them once he’s ascended to the throne. I don’t think he cares whether they did it or not; they committed lèse-majesté and they’re gonna pay for it, one way or another.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

… aaahahahaha wowwww

Billionaire Asshole “Venture Capitalist” Trump Advisor says that the big thing wrong with the Obama administration was that there wasn’t enough corruption. Which made things boring.

That’s seriously the quote.

Venture Capitalist.” If there isn’t a better synonym for “Amoral Fiscal Predator” I don’t know what it is.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

@Scildfreja

“He also likens Trump to Tesla chief executive Elon Musk.”

What a savage burn. Oddly, everything I can find through Google indicates Thiel and Musk are friends.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

@Scildfreja

… it’s funny because nothing matters anymore !