open thread

Goodbye 2016, you bastard! A New Year’s open thread

I can has 2017?

Well, 2016, it’s been fun — by which I of course mean the complete opposite of fun. So here’s an open thread to say good riddance to 2016. And to look forward with trepidation but perhaps also a little hope to 2017. No trolls, Trump fans, MRAs, etc.

If you’re going out, be safe. If you’re staying in, curl up with this lovely Dumpster Fireplace to celebrate the end of this dumpster fire of a year.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@Axe,
Only 2 friends, huh?
*taps foot in annoyed fashion* 😒🙁

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Mish

*taps foot in annoyed fashion*

*yanks collar in nervous fashion* 😛
Forget the semantics. You and Oogly and John and EJ and Scildfreja and Jack and Troubelle and too many to name. Y’all are awesome. I like you and care about you. You’re my buddies, and the best thing that’s happened to me in a long time was getting the chance to know you <3

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Hello, and hopeful new year to all.

I haven’t commented lately, for some time I’ve been sick with cold or secluded with family but mostly I’ve just been lazy and tired and not feeling like I have anything worthwhile to say. I still greatly appreciate this community.

Dalillama: Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles.
Dalillama: Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles.

Finally home, except that I still can’t have any fucking quiet, because some fuckers downstairs are blasting their fucking bass loud enough to rattle my Windows on the 6th floor. I really wish there were a law prohibiting selling car subwoofers.
Or any subwoofers frankly.

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

The fireworks have stopped and the sun has risen for the first time in 2017. I was getting worried. Now if we can just fix the cold, 2017 will be fully debugged and ready to be used.

dontgiveahoot

@Dalillama and @Ooglyboggles – thank you. I must have missed that somehow.

And yes, I agree with David’s assessment of the situation – this guy is a powder keg just waiting for a match to set him off, and we should not be that match. I hope the authorities keep a very close eye on him, because I fear he’ll explode in violent rage if he doesn’t get his way soon (which he won’t). And even if that rage is expended solely on himself, that would be a terrible thing.

I hate the instinct that leads people to automatically correlate abusive, manipulative behaviour and/or selfish, entitled attitudes with mental illness, but in this case I think that he has genuine mental health issues that are clearly exacerbating the problem. Unfortunately, having a lousy attitude towards others and what they owe you, and being mentally ill/neurodiverse are not mutually exclusive prospects (if they were, I suspect the stigma wouldn’t be so severe in the first place).

Kereea
Kereea

Worst NYE of my LIFE.

So I was with my folks in DC for the holidays and my dog and I needed to fly back to CA. We take the dog and his crate–the one he flew out in–into cargo and it turns out that the SF branch never should have let him fly out in it since he’s a bit too tall and ducks his head a bit when inside. Thankfully they had a tall enough crate someone else left behind and gave it to us free but I still had a minor freak out.

Also I got my period the day before so cramps and fatigue. Also I was getting the sinus infection my parents were getting over so coughing and more fatigue.

So, get on the plane. It’s an hour longer trip going west cause of wind. I can usually sleep on planes. This time there were two babies in front of me and even when they were quiet I just couldn’t sleep.

Pick up car, pick up dog. New crate needs to be broken down to fit in car and it is a pain to do so. Moment of good fortune with no traffic on the way home.

Almost no food at home since I was gone so long so I make something small for me, feed the starving dog, and get ready for bed. I take some cough syrup because I am hacking.

I wake up at 10:47 almost unable to breathe and in very short order tossed my cookies. Of which there were very little cookies and a lot of phlegm. I can’t get back to bed until after midnight, at which there are not only fireworks but what sound like multiple less-fun explosions that had me checking the news.

I only sleep two ore hours and come to now when I’m just trying to get some water in me. Bleh. Going to the clinic in the morning.

mywall
mywall

Frequent lurker and occasional poster here. Happy new year to you all! Thanks for the articles and all the fun insightful comments.

Personally, I’m starting the year off on an optimistic note. It looks like I might be getting a job offer in Czechia and I’m tempted to go for it. I’m getting less and less keen on being in the UK; the move towards isolation doesn’t sit right with me. So, big change for me maybe…

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

@dontgiveahoot:

(if they were, I suspect the stigma wouldn’t be so severe in the first place)

I like you and I think you have an extremely deep sense of empathy; but could we not do this, please?

The assumption (that illness equals violence) isn’t there because some mentally ill people are violent. Some ill people are also very good at maths, or are very conventionally attractive, and yet there is no widespread assumption that being ill means that you’re good at maths or are pretty. People don’t refuse to hire sane people as scientists or as models.

The assumption is there (I think) because humans fear The Other, and want to project all our negative urges onto them. Unfortunately, this is pretty shitty for those people who happen to be The Other and are trying to get through their lives.

Myself included.

eli
eli

2016 has been mostly terrible and frustrating and soul-destroying for me, but some new things have the potential to make 2017 better if I can manage to stay out of my own way.

No celebrating for me last night. I have to play in a couple of hours (it’s still Sunday) and I need to get there early for last-minute emergency practice. I went to bed ridiculously early. Saturday nights are always terrible for me sleep-wise. It’s like I’m afraid I’ll oversleep, so I keep waking up, even though I have a very loud alarm far from the bed.

But today the plan is to make these:

Most of the recipes you have to make to make this recipe are already made (HA!).

Happy New Year everyone!

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

I made a sweet pilau with roasted butternut squash, potatoes, carrots and red onions.

There was pouring rain all night here, so we stayed home and got drunk as fuck. At midnight we grabbed the champagne bottle and a glass each and went to the parking lot down the street, which is situated at the edge of a mountain with a view over the surrounding suburbs and downtown far in the distance. Fireworks everywhere.

And thanks to the current Pokemon Go event, I finally got my Venusaur. Now my Pokedex is complete, other than the region specific ones, the new baby pokes, and the legendary uncatchables. Now what? :p

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

beth
There’s this 20 minute potted history of what’s happened with Russia, Putin and the oligarchs here.
You know your dad. Maybe he’d watch it. Maybe he’d watch a couple of 5 min segments if you identified them for him. Up to you,

But I found this gem(??!?!) on the way through.

Oh how we larfed.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

Happy new year to everyone.

Owen
Owen

Happy New Year, everyone. However good or bad 2016 was for you, may 2017 be better.

Shadow
Shadow

Happy new year everyone!!! 2016 can fuck itself for the deaths it brought and 2017 better behave itself if it knows what’s good for it!

kupo
kupo

Right, they’re not, so we can’t assume solely based on his rants about his lousy attitude towards others and what they owe him that he’s mentally ill. Don’t do that.

Plus what EJ said.

Latte Cat
Latte Cat

My new year’s eve was spent with family and a few friends, a sort of “lowkey party,” just eating loads of vegetarian junk food and watching TV, then watching the Jools countdown as is tradition for us Brits, then going out at midnight to see a huge firework display. And of course, lots of wine. But not enough to get drunk. At least not completely hammered! It was great. Roll on 2017! Fuck you, 2016!

CPphazor
CPphazor

Well, it’s been an odd journey around the Sun this time around and I’m hoping we can make an impact and prevent the next administration from wreaking total havoc.

For this year though I kind of want to just get out there and learn things without dealing with the reactionary vitriol that dots so much discourse.

I wanna have a chat about things like (for instance) video game sexism etc, learn things and get perspective, and have a sense of community in the process. I owe it to myself to be educated and it’s good to have pointers beyond just what internet articles and pundits have to say.

But to sum things up, I just wanna wish you guys a peaceful new year

Penny Psmith
Penny Psmith

Haven’t posted much here, lately, due to a combination of school&family stuff taking more of my time, amd the regular “by the time I get to a thread whatever I wanted to say has alrwady been said, and better” stuff (and not like I was that much of a regular before), but still reading, and wanted to wish you all a happy new year.
May your pronouns be respected.
May your trolls be funny, rather than exasperating.
May your cats (or other preferred pets) be extra-floofy.
And may your activism, on- and off-line, achieve what you hope for it to.

Here’s a new year manatee I found on Google:
comment image

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Happy new year everyone. Congratulations to those who walked out of an overall positive 2016, hugs and support for those who weren’t that lucky.

As for me, well… it wasn’t really a good year. But it could have been worse and in fact it was far better than the three previous ones, in no small part thanks to the Mammotheers who helped me come to grips with some of my issues. I’m super grateful for that.

I know there’s some pretty bad times ahead and I know a lot of you folks will suffer the most from them. I know there isn’t much I can do from this side of the ocean but I wanna add my voice where and when it’s needed, and maybe I’ll be able to do more in time.

These days, I wouldn’t never be able to even stick my head outta my hole, if not this awesome community.

So bring it the fuck on, 2017. I’m ready.

Shartheheretic
Shartheheretic

I haven’t been commenting much, but I read comments nearly every day. Most of the time, what I think of saying has already been said in the comments.

2016 sucked. I found out my 86 year old dad has pretty much gone to the dark side after being led by the evangelists and “news” stations he watches. He was not this person when I was younger. He was a union supporting, never vote Republican educator. He is too smart to believe this stuff, but it’s like he has been brainwashed. I have been trying to avoid talking politics because he will not hear me when I try to explain that he is listening to false information. No, Dad…Trump will not be an OK president. He is a fascist trash fire. At work, I lost my sales floor manager as an employee and a friend when I discovered he and the part time employee (prior owner’s sister) conspired to fuck me over and leave me with nobody to cover the weekend I was to visit my dad in MI.

On a positive note, the antique mall I manage was purchased by a new owner in the middle of December, and she immediately offered me a $4 per hour raise to stay on as manager. At least there will be less drama now, and my new assistant manager is awesome. 😎

I have been renting my house from a friend for 5 years and now she is going to sell it to me at a discount, and Dad is giving me a huge down payment to buy it. My mortgage will be almost $300 less than rent. So that’s a good thing as well. My online vintage store is also doing well enough to pay my new car payment each month.

As long as we can keep Mango Mussolini from destroying what is left of the US, I think 2017 will be a better year.

Fabe
Fabe

Or any subwoofers frankly.

You should try and see if this would actually work

rogue angel
rogue angel

Wishing everyone ends up with as happy a New Year as possible.

My 2016 was pretty much fucked, both for the usual reasons and some personal ones. On the upside: I’ve been able to at least get through the personal shit. It helps that we got some better managers at work, too. (We used to have one in particular who pretty much treated us like robots, but he left about nine months ago.)

I’m still biting my nails over my family, though. Stepdad is on disability, as is Baby Sister, and Mom has what I’d call “mobility issues” and can’t work either. Last I checked, she was looking at getting on disability herself. I don’t want to know what their situation would be like if they didn’t have that money–or their state-funded medical coverage–coming to them. I can’t move back in (for various reasons) to take care of them, and I’m hoping Kid Sister decides to finish college rather than drop out to do just that.
I also have my own challenges. Sure, I got a raise, but my rent could get pretty high–the apartment manager decided to finally charge us according to current real-estate values, which is why my rent went up back in October. I’m also looking at more transition-related expenses–top surgery in particular–and I don’t expect insurance to cover everything. And w/r/t my emotional life: I may not be suicidal anymore, but that doesn’t mean I’m anywhere near totally okay.

I’m gearing up for another rough year, in other words.
Sorry for rambling. Just needed to get that off my chest.

Fabe
Fabe
Shadowplay
Shadowplay

@bethd

If your Dad is at all religiously inclined, Putin’s ban on discussing Christianity outside of church (which includes in your own home) might crack his shell a bit. It may not, of course. *shrugs*

As for the New Year, it was quiet with storm clouds. Due to work (I’m being deployed yet again) and various home issues (the boiler died, for one) the wife was not a happy bunny, to put it mildly. Spent the evening cooking, wincing at the fireworks, and playing Starbound.

numerobis
numerobis

2016 was the hardest year of my life.

2017 looks pretty good, though the situation down South makes me think I need to start mandarin lessons.

Pearl Clutcher
Pearl Clutcher

2016 was weird.

I think I really got stuff done: started psychotherapy, got my candidate’s thesis done, learned some self-respect… But I can still easily slide back to the feeling that I’m trash. I was supposed to work on my master’s thesis today, yet got nothing done. And the state of the world politics worries me a lot. And money; I worry about it constantly. I stopped going to work to have more time for my thesis, now my savings are almost spent…

Usually when looking back I can imagine a timeline, often with some gaps (I have amnesia, ’cause of trauma), but still. Now it seems that all my experiences this past year are separate, like tossed in a basket and shaken. I pick one up and try to place it somewhere in context, and it takes a while before it majes sense. Did all that really fit inside one year?

And I look so much older now. Tiny wrinkles all over my face and the whites of my eyes are not that bright anymore. In just a year that’s quite a change, rven though I know it had to happen and happens to all.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

I’m reserving “Sub-Woofers” as the title for my all-dog remake of ‘Das Boot’.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Alan
Aight, that was amazing 😁

varalys the dark

Well I had a mostly shitty year, I spent the first half being put through the ringer by the Department for Workhouses and Pensions as they forced me to jump through hoops to prove I am still unfit for work. Hilariously though I ended up being judged even more unfit for work and had my benefits raised so now I am merely ” very poor” and not “I have to pawn some stuff to afford food poor”. Then just as I was beginning to relax I came down with pleurisy. And finally I recovered from that, only to then get flu. Huh-zah.

On the upside, I discovered this site and found an awesome community. So it wasn’t all bad.

Dreamer
Dreamer

There have been many deaths in my family in 2016. No more in 2017, k?

Robert Walker-Smith
Robert Walker-Smith

I’m making a big pot of black eyed peas with pork bones. My husband commented last January that I hadn’t made them for New Year’s Day.
Me: But I thought you didn’t like them.
Him: That’s not the point!

For those of you who don’t know, BEP are a traditional dish for celebrating NYD among many African Americans.

Our older son is settling down at the board and care home we found for him. It’s only a half hour walk from our house. Younger son will be going back to high school tomorrow; with luck, showered and wearing clean clothes. Husband got two days off in a row; can’t remember the last time that happened. Running a small business is quite demanding.

And I have a family, a place to live, and food to eat. That’s enough to satisfy my essential hobbit nature. The purpose of life is to live, and I’ve got that covered

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

And bluddy, bluddy 2016 simply can’t leave well enough (bad enough) alone. Somebody that everybody loves had to die on Dec 31st.

William Christopher – Father Mulcahy from M.A.S.H. – died on Saturday morning. Apparently, he was just as nice off camera as on. At least he had a good long life behind him unlike too many of the others gone in 2016.

Banananana dakry
Banananana dakry

@mildlymagnificent

Of course, it would. As I told the husband when I found out about Christopher’s passing, “2016 juuust had to flip us one final finger, didn’t it?”

Can we mulch years? I want to mulch 2016. And put it in a machine for mulching things that are already mulched.

eli
eli

Well, FML….

16 hours into 2017 and mom is having an emotional meltdown (she’s 82, I’m 46).

Lost my appetite eating my fancy nachos

I don’t think they’ll be any good reheated.

She’s throwing things around upstairs and I have tons to clean up.

I’m scared

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

Scared? Right now … or that this is going to get worse before it (if ever) gets better?

Is this her house, yours or joint … really, the question is do you know any relatives, friends, neighbours, doctors, church members who live nearby and who could help you out right now. Yours. Or hers. Whether that’s to get you to somewhere where you won’t feel so scared or whether they have some capacity to deal with her that you don’t have just now.

Is it possible for you simply to walk out of the house and go somewhere you could calm down and go back later when you feel better able to cope? (Some people do this when children get too hard to handle just to get through the next half hour.)

Sorry I can’t help much. Maybe others will have something better to offer.

dikdik
dikdik

@mywall

Congrats on the new job. I hope it works out for you!

eli
eli

Oh, thank you mildlymagnificent for the advice and it’s good.

It’s her house. I moved in to help take care of my father, who is now in a home. She has these meltdowns about once a month, although, holidays, this is number two.

Usually I have my keys, wallet, etc. in my room if I have to let myself out. She was trying to break down my door before, but I have one of those security rods. I didn’t have my stuff downstairs to sneak out either.

She’s melting down, but she always blames me. Its ugly. If it were diarrhea, she’d see the doctor, but “you think I’m CRAZY,” threatens to kill herself. She’s been drinking a lot today.

I told her through the door she was trying to bust down that I had to clean up the kitchen and she went away. Then came at me and said “what can I do to make you happy”

Total mindfuck…seriously FML.

Every neighbor, family member, church member…as far as I can tell, they all think she is just so nice. And she tells them I’m a monster. So…

I don’t know what set her off this time. I just got up rather suddenly to go use the bathroom. She can’t hear very well. I told her I had to pee. She seems to think she did something to make me mad and I can’t even talk to her ever, and especially not when she’s like this.

eli
eli

I’m sorry. She seems to have calmed down. I need to get a second job and save up and get out of here.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Seems like 2017 might be another sleepless year. 🙁

Dalillama, Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles
Dalillama, Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles

@Eli
*hugs* if desired, and all my sympathies.

Although that does remind me, having finally gotten a second job is another good thing about last year. Although it’s a mixed blessing, given that I have no scheduled days off anymore. I’ve got part of this week off, but that’s it for a while.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

You don’t have to be sorry, eli. You’re in a bad situation and there’s no need to apologize for it.

kupo
kupo

@Eli
When this happens, has she usually been drinking? Is there someone she trusts, like a doctor, who can convince her to stop? My family has very bad genes around drinking/drugs, and sudden mood swings are common. I doubt you did anything to provoke this. It’s hard to get them to stop, though. Wish I had better advice.

eli
eli

Thanks everyone.

Kitchen is finally clean (I made such a monster mess today). She went to bed early.

yes, kupo. She stopped drinking last year when I was around to witness how terrible she was being to my Dad. She started again a few months ago. A couple of years ago, the doctor told her to stop because of liver values, but she didn’t then. She usually starts at lunch with wine in a tiny little glass, thinking that she’ll drink less, but she just fills it more often. With hipaa regulations, am I even allowed to talk to her doctor about this?

Seems like the sort of thing she’d do to me. I don’t know how I feel about that.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Eli,

HIPAA only regulates people who work in health care or work with health information. You’re allowed to talk to her doctor and say to them that you have concerns. But the doctor can’t tell you anything about your mother’s health or what she says to them without your her permission unless you had legal guardianship over her.

Shadowplay
Shadowplay

@Eli

I’m an alcoholic. Dry, been dry for years, but it’s there. Always will be. So that is where this is coming from, OK?

Don’t talk to your mother’s doctor, if you are inclining to, until you are in a position where you can leave. Because chances are she’ll see it as a total betrayal and kick you out. She’ll certainly make your life hell on earth in “thanks” for your concern.

Good luck and good wishes.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Eli
Hugs and sympathy.

JS
JS

Re: The Manatee
Should name it Hugh. Then you could point to it, and say “Oh, the Hugh Manatee” in your best radio announcer voice.

Too soon?

Happy 2017 to everyone, whether they deserve it, or not. Assuming their happiness doesn’t screw up someone else’s.

To Trump: I hope you become a great President.

To the rest of us here: We’ll need a miracle, but hey, it _might_ happen.

Andy Cooper
Andy Cooper

2016 was bloody awful. Aside from all the geopolitical stuff, a beloved and elderly pet died, and my alcoholic sister finally went off the deep end, and farmed out her children to relatives/friends, because she’d rather spend her time boozing than caring for them. The upside of this shitty situation, is that my nephew and niece will finally get some peace and quiet/stability in their lives, as each is living with good and sensible people.

Globally, I think we’re in for a rough year. In my country, Brexit is going to start to bite. All the people duped by rightwing populism on these shores are in for a massive wake-up call as jobs disappear or leave for more practically-minded nations. The Middle East is going to carry on being the Middle East. Jason Burke wrote a great piece in the Guardian the other day, about Al Qaeda filing the nutty void that ISIS will leave when it finally pops it’s clogs. Worth a read. The South China Sea? Who knows. It’s a shitstorm waiting to happen. Putin will continue his foreign meddling, and will keep supporting the rise of petty nationalism across Europe. Much of what occurs now, hinges on the actions of an orange, reactionary and sociopathic pensioner, soon to move into the Oval Office. Funnily enough though, I don’t think he’ll last the year. For one thing the position actually involves work. The Republicans will certainly be looking to ditch him at the first opportunity. Maybe impeachment will be involved, or perhaps he’ll be provided with a more graceful exit route. If we aren’t all tiny piles of irradiated dust this time next year, I predict Trump will have moved on. He’ll probably be replaced with a mainstream Republican (which still spells trouble), but at least we won’t be hearing about him 24/7, which is obviously why he ran for Prez in the first place place.

occasional reader
occasional reader

Hello.

Have a happy new year, everyone.
Health and enough resources, successes in your life as many as possible, for those close to your heart and yourself.
Best wishes for the coming year !

Manosphere is going to be happy, it is the year of the Cock.

Oh, sorry, i mean the Rooster.

Have a nice day.