aw crap no trolls allowed open thread

Carrie Fisher Memorial Open Thread

Carrie Fisher: She will be missed

Carrie Fisher died this morning, several days after suffering a very public heart attack while on a plane from London. She was obviously best known for playing Princess Leia in the original Star Wars trilogy, returning to the franchise in The Force Awakens as General Leia Organa.

But there was a lot more to her than this iconic character. In addition to her roles in numerous other films, she was a bestselling novelist, best known for Postcards from the Edge and Surrender the Pink (both of which I’d highly recommend); her autobiographical one-woman Broadway show Wishful Drinking also turned into a book, and her most recent memoir, The Princess Diarist, came out this past spring.  She was also much in demand as a Hollywood script doctor.

She was always outspoken and didn’t put up with bullshit.

In short, she was pretty much a badass.

I’m opening up this thread for anyone who wants to talk about Fisher or any of the other amazing people that 2016 took from us — among them Prince, David Bowie, Muhammad Ali, and, just a few days ago, George Michael.

Here are some Tweets about Fisher I thought were fitting.

Theriault followed this up with a bunch of Tweets explaining just why she felt this way, collected into a Storify here.

2016 has been a hell of a year, obviously not in a good way.

Wondering
Wondering

And Alan Rickman! 🙁

That’s the one that gutted me most until Carrie Fisher.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

I was going to share that Sarah Kendzior tweet here myself. Everything she posts is incredible.

Yet another reason to admire Carrie Fisher (as if we needed more): she tried, constantly, to de-stigmatise mental illness and addiction, and not simply for celebrities.

I’m now going to sit in a corner and quietly chant “pls don’t take Nick Cave, pls don’t take Nick Cave”. I’m generally very non-superstitious but 2016 has me thoroughly creeped out.

Lucrece
Lucrece

She was the first princess I knew of outside of story books. Star Wars was released a year after my birth, but my parents recorded it from tv when it came out on free to air (in Australia) and I can’t think of a better princess to have had as a role model.

Very sad for her family, especially her daughter Billie Lourd and her mum Debbie – no parent wants to bury their child.

Thanks for providing this space David.

May the Force be with her, always.

—–‘——@

Zonuts
Zonuts

(I also posted this to social media.)

Princess Leia was my heroine when I was a teen just tasting life.

Carrie Fisher became my heroine as she overcame addiction, bravely owned her struggles with mental illness, and fearlessly spoke profane, salty, hilarious truth.

And General Organa modeled the courageous and resilient heroine that I want to be for the rest of my life.

R.I.P. Carrie Fisher. You’ve left us far too soon.

Falconer
Falconer

I’ve been devastated all evening.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

None of the others hurt. OK, Rickman a little. This one hurts

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I told Mr. Parasol, and his reaction was, “But she was stable just the other day!” I knew what he meant. I hated telling him “stable” isn’t the same as improving.

Leia Organa was my first feminist role model.

kupo
kupo

The past couple of days I’ve been having a really hard time processing everything to do with Trump (that’s why I haven’t been posting), and now I’m crying every time I open a Web browser because the lovely Carrie Fisher is being talked about everywhere. I’m still not over Rickman, either, but this one hurts so much more. And honestly these two are the first celebrity deaths that truly hurt for me.

You were a legend, Carrie. You taught me a lot about dealing with negativity on twitter and about how unimportant our bodies are (“My body is my brain bag, it hauls me around to those places & in front of faces where theres something to say or see”). I won’t forget you. <3

MrsObedMarsh
MrsObedMarsh

@Axecalibur:

I feel the same way. I loved her in all of the roles I’ve seen her play, and I was looking forward to seeing more of her as General Leia. I even told Captain Marsh “I don’t want her to die” just yesterday. So disappointed.

eli
eli

Tomorrow I have to play a funeral for someone I never met.

Wish I’d found out afterwards.

I’m going to go curl up with Postcards on the Edge. I must have read it in high school. I’ve sold a lot of the old ones. I was happy to find it still there.

Edit: FROM….I’m the one on the edge!

Lady Mondegreen
Lady Mondegreen

We lost Patty Duke this year as well. Another tough woman who fought to destigmatize mental illness.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

This one definitely hit me hard too. I really admired her responses to all the asshats who criticized her for daring to visibly age.

I also love that she took her dog Gary Fisher to the red carpet with her and he became a star too.

Handsome (Punkle Stan) Jack

I have never hated a measurement of time more than I hate the entire Gregorian year of 2016.

gijoel
gijoel

The tweet that really cuts me up the most is from her dog, Gary. Somehow it reminds me of Fry’s dog, Seymour.

Kariface27
Kariface27

Openly sobbing can’t even begin to describe the emotional wreck I am. David Bowie dying at the beginning of the year really set the emotional tone for the whole year. Now we lost Carrie Fisher, a huge role model to girls and advocate for normalizing mental illness. I’m so ready for this year to be over.

Naira
Naira

Carrie Fisher’s passing is the one that hurts the most for me too, this year. I went with my husband to work today (I’m off for the week, haha) to meet some of his coworkers and hang out.

I had to stop browsing Facebook, because all the memories, pictures, and references to her were bringing tears and I didn’t feel like bawling in the middle of an open office.

Sigh. Honestly, I think she got better as she got older. Seeing her back in the spotlight again for the new Star Wars movies and all of her comments about age, mental health, etc. has been great. She’s on point on all of it.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

😢

Kat
Kat

Like Princess Leia, the character she played, Carrie Fisher was a brave woman.

I saw the first Star Wars when I lived in Los Angeles. Often movies hit the theaters in LA before they’ve been reviewed. Reviews might come two weeks later.

So I saw Star Wars on a co-worker’s recommendation. Wow! Princess Leia was under siege but remained determined and true to her people and herself. Which is a pretty good description of Carrie Fisher too — under siege from mental illness but true to the human race and herself.

RIP, Carrie.

ETA: K O’Shea’s comment was kickass!

LindsayIrene

comment image
comment image

Mattie
Mattie

This was the first death this year that actively depressed me.
I was so sure she’d pull through.
She was really young and she seemed to be doing really well until the heart attack.
I’m really shocked.
(And I don’t want them just writing her out of Episode 8 or using more of that creepy CGI from Rogue One.)

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

2016 just had to take another from us didn’t it? Four days left in the fucking year, and it’s already taken another.

I’m honestly just depressed over the whole thing. This year was shitty. Personally, it could have been worse for me, but overall it’s just…shit.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Mattie,

I did read somewhere (Io9 maybe?) that Lucasfilm announced that Fisher had finished filming her episode VIII scenes so I would think her role in that film will remain intact. I do hope they find a non-awkward way to write her off offscreen if/when they do IX though.

BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink
BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink

“I tell my younger friends that no matter how I go, I want it reported that I drowned in moonlight, strangled by my own bra.”

Make sure you give that her headline on social media.

ryeash
ryeash

She was my childhood hero when she played one of the few women allowed to be capable in movies, and she was my adult hero when I was diagnosed. It would have taken me a lot longer to come to terms with it had I not found out that Princess Leia had the same illness. This is a tough hit.

I also lost the one father figure who cared about my existence and my cat this year. I have three days to figure out how to exact vengeance on a measurement of time, because this kind of feels personal. Can’t even leave a lady her cat.

gijoel
gijoel

@ LindsayIrene

Though It take a thousand summers, I will wait for you.

Dalillama: Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles.
Dalillama: Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles.

Also Richard Adams died today.

Banananana dakry
Banananana dakry

Dammit dammit dammit.

Fuck 2016. Seriously, fuck it hard. Carrie Fisher is dead and we’re still on schedule to have Dumpy the Talking Yam and his Amazing Fascist Friends take the oath of office in less than a month. My uncle passed away in May from complications of COPD at the young age of 57, and that’s not getting into everybody else we lost this year.

Seriously, the only good things about 2016 is the Cubs winning the World Series and a couple of kitties from the Tinykittens cam pulling it out against all odds (Felicity and Skye, for those as care, especially Skye). The rest of it can rot in a dumpster.

Seriously, fuck 2016 with a roto-rooter.

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

Seriously, fuck 2016 with a roto-rooter.

Yeah, this.

2016 was a really good year for science, but was a terrible year in every other way

Ooglyboggles

2016; The day the music died (repeatedly)

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

@Mish & Jack

I’m generally very non-superstitious but 2016 has me thoroughly creeped out.

Right ? For an arbitrary length of time, it sure is doing its worst… and to the very end. Even kept the best for last.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

I must admit General Leia was the very best moment of the Force Awaken. And she was talented as script doctor too.

A french saying is “it’s alway the better one who leave first”. It sure seem to apply here.

Weirdly, although I was in exactly the right demographic to love Star Wars and find Princess Leia a role model, for some reason it didn’t happen. I’ve never been a big fan of either, but developed a much stronger appreciation for and understanding of both after reading this:

Much more deep and ground-breaking than I’d ever realised.

Cat Mara

@Mish:

Seconded. I’ve started following her recently too and she’s great.

I think I’m still processing Carrie Fisher’s passing. Despite being a massive SF geek, Star Wars was never the cultural touchstone it seemed to be for so many of my generation, but the world is a slightly poorer place today for not having her in it anymore. Most people who had to deal with the problems Carrie Fisher had with mental health, substance abuse, relationships, etc. would have been too embarrassed to air them in public but she gave the world the finger and dared it to clutch its pearls at her… and gave a lot of people the strength to do the same. Ave atque vale.

Abars01
Abars01

Still three days left. Reckon another will go before then?

GiltyPleasures (formerly Owl)
GiltyPleasures (formerly Owl)

Until now, Gene Wilder was the one that hit me hardest. But yeah, General Leía Organa….

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@LindsayIrene,

Oh damn, that doggie tweet. Jebus.

@ryeash,

You lost your cat this year? I’m so sorry! In a year like this one 🙁

Someone in my Discworld FB group just lectured us (fairly gently) on how superficial it is to grieve for celebrities when innocent people, especially children, are dying all over the world, every day. He wasn’t terribly rude about it, but you know, (1) one type of grieving doesn’t cancel out the other and (2) read some sociology of celebrity 🙂
I remember, as a kid, crying when Marvin Gaye died, and a relative said “He’s just some famous person! You didn’t even know him!”

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@ Cat Mara, you’re on Twitter?
*clicks your nym*
Ah 🙂

Johanna "Actually Godzilla" Roberts
Johanna "Actually Godzilla" Roberts

Star Wars saved my life. I don’t think many people believe me on that, but I was bullied and literally beaten every day in elementary, middle and high school. A galaxy far, far away was a second home to me and Princess Leia taught me that I can be just as smart and badass as the men and get shit done while they stand being all macho.

And later in life she taught us all that mental illness is not a stigma and she spent her life making some pretty damn feminist quotes.

May you rest in peace. I will find and destroy the bra that killed you.

Moggie
Moggie
Leah
Leah

Hello. My name is Leah.

Not spelled or pronounced the same way as the iconic Princess, General and Badass (though my partner of almost four years persists in pronouncing it that way… I’m not complaining), but it was enough for my father to sit me down, when I was only a few years old, in front of a VHS copy of Star Wars and say “watch this film, Leah, it has a princess with your name in it!”

And yes, Leia Organa immediately became my heroine. She’s the first icon and role model I remember having, everything I could have wanted to be: smart, strong, independent, competent, sassy. As I got older and learned more about Carrie Fisher, the more I felt she and Leia may as well have been the same person, and I adored her for all the same reasons. I dearly hoped I would get the chance to meet her one day and tell her how important she was to me (I can’t help but think she would have loved to know she was my namesake-in-spirit), and having missed out on her LFCC appearance a few years ago, I was really hoping the new Star Wars movies would bring her back to a London convention sometime soon. I am heartbroken that this can never be.

I intend to honour her memory and importance to my life by continuing to live in a way that would make her proud. I will stand tall and strong, not only for myself in the face of my own mental illnesses, but for those who are victimised and oppressed in the face of a terrifying right-wing/fascist socio-political climate. I will be among those who stood up, said “no”, and resisted evil.

And hopefully, when I die, I too will drown in moonlight, strangled by my own bra.

Rest In Peace, Space Princess.

Cat Mara

@Mish:

Oh, I hate that, even when it’s done in gentleness. Someone I follow on Facebook called that out last night and this is what I wrote:

People who say this kind of shit are the worst.

There’s something called Dunbar’s Number (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar's_number) which suggests that human beings are only capable of maintaining meaningful relationships with about 150 others– a hard-coded limit, if you like. There is a finite number of people you can give a shit about and that’s an unfortunate reality.

And, do you know, it’s true: I don’t “care” much about the people in Aleppo, or the starving in Africa, or the kids half-blind from exhaustion and toxic exposure toiling in Chinese sweatshops to produce the devices on which you type your judgemental e-bilge. Occasionally, I feel some sort of abstract sympathy when the locus of my attention is momentarily diverted towards them, but not very often. But the one thing I never do is hold their bloodied, emaciated bodies up and shake them in the faces of other people trying to come to terms with the loss of someone who shaped their lives in some positive way, you scum. You’re not being edgy, or striking a blow for equality or taking a stand against the hollowness of celebrity culture or whatever empty mantra you recite to yourselves to justify your self-importance: you’re just fucking *ghouls*. How many include you in their Dunbar’s number… or begrudge you wasting one of their slots in it?

katjapants

She drowned in moonlight, strangled by her own bra.

Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution
Viscaria, product of 20,000 evolution

Sorry, I’m not sure what’s wrong with my image posting. It is a quote from Carrie Fisher that has great significance to me.

Edit: I’m not myself bipolar, it is the overarching sentiment that I relate to.

AKemp

I was sitting with my sister and her girlfriend when one of us saw the news on our phones. All three of us had to check to make sure it was actually real. I’ve never actually felt so close to tears over a celebrity death before. This year has been awful.

Look to the Force and you will find her.

Weird (so, the president-elect was running a long con after all, SURPRISED?) Eddie

We’re not grieving for celebrities, at least I’m not. I’m grieving for one more warrior… for a strong woman who lifted the struggle for understanding of mental health, of addiction… I’m grieving for the hero who turned the “notion” of a warrior who identified as female into a concrete reality…

I never met Carrie Fisher, I don’t know if she measures in my “Dunbar’s number” (or if I have one of those…) the closest I got to her was the infinite depth of a movie screen.

To mourn the passing of those whose contribution to the struggle was made very publicly, and who, in many cases suffered personal and career consequences for their public contribution is not shallow. It is not an erasure of the suffering of the innocent victims of wrongdoing to celebrate the deeds of those who would try to right the wrongs.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

And Richard Adams, too. And Vera Dunn…

I spent part of yesterday watching Carrie’s bit on QI and a few of her late night TV interviews on YouTube. :/

varalys the dark

Victoria Wood is my huge loss from this year, mainly for the same reasons Carrie Fisher is. Both gave a weird girl growing up in the 1980’s (Empire Strikes Back was the first film I ever saw at the cimena and stil recall every bit of that day clearly) the heroes and role models she needed to survive. I’m even in the middle of LEGO Star Wars TFA which she did extra voicework right now. Anyway I can’t add to all the fine sentiments already expressed, just give a vigorous nod in agreement.

Also her last appearance might be the UK panel show 8 Out of Ten Cats. I haven’t seen it but my sister, 12 years younger than me told me she was absolutely hilarious on it, so maybe that’s another thing for people to check out.

RosieLa
RosieLa

I’ve been crying for the past two days.
I didn’t realize how much I need strong mental health advocates in my life, until her voice was silenced.

pk1154
pk1154

Please, someone tell me that there was at least one famous, irredeemable asshole who died this year at something other than a ripe old age, because I can’t think of anyone right now, and maybe it would help a little…

dreemr
dreemr

Checking in. Sad. Haven’t been able to face much in the way of Trump lately, hence not posting much.

Back soon, hope everyone is okay.

RosieLa she set the tone, many of us also follow her example.

Really shitty to lose our witty, complicated, smart Princess.