alt-right empathy deficit have you no humanity Islamophobia literal nazis racism red pill terrorism

It could not have been better: Why one alt-rightist is celebrating the Berlin Christmas market massacre

Mourners gather at a makeshift shrine in Berlin

It’s hardly news that extremists feed off of one another. ISIS was thrilled by Trump’s victory, knowing that his bigotry will send countless new recruits their way. Alt-rightists, meanwhile, seize on each new act of ISIS-inspired terrorism with something close to glee.

For many of them, the Berlin Christmas market attacks are an early Christmas present, a golden opportunity to win new converts to their foul cause. Alt-right bloggers are churning out post after post on the attacks, many of them unable to resist making Star Wars jokes about the fact that the current suspect comes from the Tunisian town of Tataouine.

Usually, though, alt-rightists are savvy enough to at least pretend to care about the actual victims of these terrorist attacks. But the anonymous alt-rightist behind the Diversity Macht Frei blog isn’t even bothering to pretend, hailing the attack and the chaos it left in its wake as a simply fabulous recruiting tool.

“As far as red-pilling of normies is concerned, the Berlin Christmas market attack is just about as good as it could be,” the blogger happily declares.

In his mind, even the fact that the authorities grabbed the wrong guy is great news.

First, an asylum seeker who came in on the Merkel wave is apprehended as the suspect. Second, it is concluded he is the wrong guy and the real perp is still at large, thus establishing an ongoing fear of further attacks from the same person as well as a sense that the authorities are incompetent and unable to guarantee safety.

As far as he’s concerned, the attacks are a gift that keeps on giving.

Then the next person sought is an “asylum seeker” who has already served 4 years in an Italian prison for burning down a school (!) but was nonetheless admitted to Germany where his asylum application was refused but he was not deported from the country. He was also noted as a potentially dangerous jihadi but the authorities were not able to track him.

Finally, he may not actually be the guilty person. The authorities have intimated that he may have some connection to the attack but is not necessarily the guilty party, thus creating a further impression of uncertainty and generalised fear.

He’s as happy about the terrorist attacks as ISIS itself must be.

An impression of all-encompassing chaos is created. People will conclude that the situation is completely out of control and the German government doesn’t know what it is doing. This entire clusterf*ck presses almost every red-pill button, validating almost every claim European patriots have been making. It really could not have been better from our point of view.

There is literally not a word in his post about those killed and injured in the attack, not even a pro forma expression of condolences for the 12 people brutally slaughtered while they were out Christmas shopping, for the 48 injured in the attacks, many of them seriously.

I suppose it’s a bit naive to expect basic human decency from someone whose very blog title is a Holocaust joke.

Nequam
Nequam

Necrophiles, the lot of ’em. (Well, maybe thanatophiles, but the point is they’re using death and the dead as jackoff material.)

Karalora
Karalora

Can’t we put all the extremists, on all the sides, in a fenced off wasteland somewhere and let them have it out on each other while the rest of us get on with our loving, peaceful civilization?

Latte Cat
Latte Cat

These people exist.

Wow

jenninsb
jenninsb

How am I still surprised at what horrible excuses for human beings these guys are? Sorry I don’t have anything more clever to add.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Can we ship these folks off to Snake Island? Or am I being cruel to the snakes?

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

One of many reasons the both side do it argument is false. The alt-right/manosphere is nothing like feminism/”SJWs.”

I’ve never seen feminists rejoicing at the prospect of a man being falsely accused of rape because it will make women properly afraid of men and cause chaos. And if feminists did do that, can you imagine how upset these same men on the alt right would be?

MrsObedMarsh
MrsObedMarsh

OT: I saw two things to make misogynists angry today. The first was a billboard with the words “STOP TELLING WOMEN TO SMILE” and the second was a fragrance commercial using “Lady Marmalade,” a song about a sex worker.

gijoel
gijoel

@Karalora. No they’ll get very angry that we’re ignoring them and demand that you take down the fence so that they can yell at us.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

Hey South Park, and all other shows/people/groups, for trying to compare people like them to literally anyone else call it “equal”, and saying I am supposed to meet them halfway, or you somehow being superior for being so haughty about doing jack and shit, how about go fuck yourselves okay?

You what’s (not) funny? All these people saying they DIE TRYING, but the second anything remotely dangerous comes within earshot it’s the SPOOPY SCARY MINORITY TAKING OVER EVERYTHING? It’s quite interesting to see bravado like that in a culture that hates knowledge and covets tin idols.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

I’m…just speechless.

My flabber has been ghasted. I…can’t even.

Snowberry
Snowberry

Some people would have no idea what to do with themselves if they didn’t have enemies. Even if bigotry was conquered and peace reigned forever, they’d still rage against humanity itself for failing to provide them with a hostile opposition. Fortunately, they’re a minority. Unfortunately, even as a minority they can still do some significant damage.

JS
JS

Now I’m looking for pictures of cats wearing head-scarves. Not sure why.

Monster-Teeth
Monster-Teeth

Disgusting savages, eager for more violence, fear, & human misery.

The Bacongineer (Polish Friend from across the Pond)
The Bacongineer (Polish Friend from across the Pond)

Poland’s next

I just know it

Kat

Wow, I’m really excited for you, Herr Frei.

More good news: Christmas is on its way!

I have a feeling that your stocking is filled with Legos — lots & lots of Legos.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

That’s what I was talking about when I said they stripped themselves of all empathy. Anglin was literally posting “HAHAHAHAHAHA” and some joke about how it’s the German Nazis’ fault.

And I’ll never say it enough, but ISIS and those fuckers are allies. They all want exactly the same thing : to rile up Islamophobia and make every Muslim person living in a “western” country pack up and leave. They won’t, because actual people have a tendency to not enjoy violent and thoroughly incompetent theocracies, regardless of the fantasies you hold about them or their religion – but that’s beside the point now. Both flavors of fascists are just gonna keep trying.

And stupid nazis being stupid nazis, they’re convinced that ISIS does their job for them, when it’s the other way around. Good job.

Christina Nordlander, Emperor's White Knight
Christina Nordlander, Emperor's White Knight

Fuck.

LittleLurker
LittleLurker

He’s wrong.

I feel no

sense that the authorities are incompetent and unable to guarantee safety.

I don’t have an

impression of uncertainty and generalised fear.

and there’s no

impression of all-encompassing chaos is created.

I conclude no such thing.

Over the last days I’ve been at home, watching the reports, the press conferences, the statements of our leading politicians.

The AfD and in part the CSU with their immediate attempts to use the attack for their own right-wing populist goals were what disgusted me.

Everything else made an impression of measured, sensible responses, of a responsible use of the means at the state’s disposal and adherence to the laws and civil rights of citizens.

I watched the people in charge of the investigation give the first press conference. I heard them insist that they had a suspect, not a guilty person. That they would not release information on him, since he was still to be presumed innocent. I heard them admonish some over-eager journalists who wanted sensational, emotional statements and basically telling them that no, we will not suspend any laws or legal procedures just because it was an OMG!TerroristAttack.

I watched the media reports that night and the next morning, before the first official statements from the authorities were released. I heard the journalists caution people again and again to not speak of islamist terror before we had proof of islamist terror.

I watched an interwiev with our secretary of the Interior that night. He was asked to comment on some of the populist statements made by the right earlier that day. He said that he refused to engage in any policy discussions or dignify the right’s garbage with any response while there were still people in the hospitals fighting for their lives and he had just returned from a memorial service for the victims, because using the suffering of people like this would be disgusting. When asked again he literally said: “I already told you all I’m going to say on the subject tonight.” And that was that.

The next day I watched the reactions from Berlin, the typical “You’re not going to get us down” that you would expect from that city. I watched a report of how the city of Nice expressed solidarity by taking down their flags, how they had German flags somewhere in that French city showing solidarity with us. Showing openly that we’re friends and that whatever disagreements we may have, if it matters we will stand together.

None of this makes me or anyone I know feel the way that man seems to think we should feel. Yes, it’s a terrible tragedy. We all feel that way. But when it comes to the reactions from authorities I feel as safe as is possible in a situation like this, I feel we have a government that deals with this as well as it can without falling into hysteria and that in the end our civil rights and the rule of law can withstand this and and so will our tolerance and our open and free way of life.

We all knew this would happen sooner or later. That doesn’t make it easier to deal with, but if the authorities’s reactions so far (as well as the reactions of most people in the general population) do anything, they reassure me that we will survive this, we will not fall into that fascist hell of hatred this guy apparently imagines.

Funny how he thinks measured, sensible, cool-headed responses will make us feel unsafe and make the situation feel out of control, while the hysteric, rage-filled, frothing-at-the-mouth antics of the Right whose “solutions” are either completely impractical or downright nonsensical and futile are apparently supposed to reassure us and lead to us taking their poisonous “red-pill”. Not to those of us who use their brains instead of…whatever it is the Right uses to come to their “solutions”.

Sorry for the long post, I have kind of strong feelings about this.
And for the record…I’m not a big supporter of Merkel or de Maizière normally as I’m quite a bit to the left of them. But, they have been a positive surprise in this situation mostly.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@LittleLurker,

Wow. Thank you for taking the time to write that post. It’s much appreciated. I hope things remain as calm as possible in the circumstances – and I also wish that we had more journalists and politicians like yours in Australia.

@LittleLurker

I’m glad to hear that the German police and government are being sensible and cool-headed and respecting civil rights.

Sorry about the USA bag o’ bluster, President-elect Trump. I guess the world will have to get used to him.

The account of Nice’s solidarity with Berlin is touching.

Stay strong and stay safe.

kale
kale

@WWTH

“I’ve never seen feminists rejoicing at the prospect of a man being falsely accused of rape”

in all fairness, thats also because that virtually never actually happens tho. not that we would if it did, obv! ….not trying to be a dick, idk, just sayin. but excellent point for real no shade. ;p

kale
kale

Does anyone know if the claims stated about the suspects (ie getting asylum despite arson) are even true?

Kat

Marion Pritchard, Dutch rescuer of Jewish children during the Holocaust, dies at 96

Rest in peace, rest in power, Marion van Binsbergen Pritchard.

Victoria
Victoria

I hate worrying each time some horrible thing happens “oh God, please don’t be a minority.” because if so it always gets the right all riled up to start talking about deporting people and tearing off head scarves and everything else they like to do.
and now that the future head of state here in America is going to be unable to keep a cool head and will indulge the far right in all of their paranoia and frothing joy over dead people… I just dont see much hope.
and I’m a white christian, I can’t imagine how much that fear is magnified for others. I got only a taste of that when people started that whole “autism leads to mass shootings” thing.

Praying for the families and victims, and that their memory isn’t overshadowed by either Islamophobia or whatever hateful/misanthropic ideology the attacker had.

Christina Nordlander, Emperor's White Knight
Christina Nordlander, Emperor's White Knight

@LittleLurker: thank you! I wish everyone in the world would realise that you fight terrorism by not letting yourself be terrorised.

@Victoria: you pretty much put into words how I feel.

Bina

@Karalora:

A terrorist cage-match? I could go for that.

On a related note, I read a Portuguese op-ed yesterday asserting that the far-right and the “Islamist” terrorists are actually on the same side, because everything the one does helps the other to recruit new members, and vice versa. I have absolutely no argument against that.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

Couldn’t this establish that immigrant phobia is distracting to crime investigations?

numerobis
numerobis

Both sides do it — both rejoice upon the bodies of the slain. Both sides predict (accurately!) it will help recruitment when innocents die at the hands of their supposed main opponent. Both sides know their true opponent is tolerance.

Today’s leftists are not one of the sides, neither are today’s tories. The sides are the various religious extremist groups.

LittleLurker
LittleLurker

@kale,

Here is some information about the suspect’s asylum status, what is known about his alleged criminal past and the German authorities’ monitoring him. The articles are in English.

First, he was not granted asylum. The main reason seems to be that he lied about his country of origin.

There are/were unspecified criminal charges against him in Italy, where he stayed between 2010 and 2015. That one of them was arson seems to be speculation at this point.

What he was granted in Germany was a “Duldung” (literally a “toleration”), meaning his deportation was temporarily delayed. The reason was that he had no papers so he couldn’t be deported. Because no papers and his known lies about his country of origin made it a bit difficult to figure out where to deport him to, obviously. And since the Tunisian government denied until yesterday that the man actually was Tunisian (they seem to have admitted it since and issued the neccesary papers on Wednesday), it would have been a bit difficult to deport him to Tunisia.

kale
kale

Damn fine work lilLurker! thanks!

dreemr
dreemr

@LittleLurker – thank you for taking the time to tell us how it’s going. Please be safe and take care of yourself. Know that even though we’re in our own mess over here in the US, there are many of us who do care deeply for our neighbors throughout the world.

@OoglyBoggles – adorable, thank you! I luuuuurve the babushkas. If you don’t mind, a brief personal story:

In the early ’90s I decided I was tired of interacting with my family through the TV, so I sold it. We also had 4 cats. Well, one evening we were a little bored (no TV remember) so my husband, sister, and I used an old pair of shorts to cut up and we sewed BABY BONNETS FOR EACH CAT. Oh the dirty cat looks we got! It was so hilarious, though (way before smart phones/digital cameras, so, no photos 🙁 ).

Your pics reminded me of that.

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

Thank you for that, LittleLurker.

LittleLurker
LittleLurker

I just read in a German paper that the Polish truck driver apparently tried to stop the attacker and thereby prevented even more deaths.

Here’s an English article I found about it:

We’ll see what the police reports after the forensic examinations are finished, but if this turns out to be genuine, I hope the petition is successful.

Weird (so, the president-elect was running a long con after all, SURPRISED?) Eddie

from CNN

Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway said on CNN’s “New Day” Thursday that Trump would not pursue a ban on Muslim immigration to the US based only on religion.

When asked by his supporters for an explanation, the Dumpster was rumored to have said “You knew I was a snake when you brought me into your home.”

(actually, I added the second part…)

Conan the Librarian
Conan the Librarian

@weird. Let’s not be too sanguine. Our favorite Trumpian spin doctor said that because a ban that openly excluded people based on religion would be flagrantly unconsitutional. On the other hand, regulations that tightly restricted migration from “certain countries” could have virtually the same effect but be much harder to fight in the courts.

Conan the Librarian
Conan the Librarian

This is the way of the ideologue. To the fanatical believer, it doesn’t matter if people are hurt as long as they “win the argument”. Based on that alone it should be obvious that such people, whether on the left or on the right, should not be let anywhere near any position of power over anyone.

Sea Wolf
Sea Wolf

A person who crows over loss of life is utterly foul and completely lacking in humanity.

When I first heard about the Berlin attack, my first reaction was “Oh no, now even more Islamophobic sentiment will be stirred up!” Seconding others who’ve said that ISIS and the alt-right are on the same side. I’d never thought of it that way, but it makes perfect sense to me.

Also, thanks Little Lurker for your posts; I’m very glad that the German authorities are keeping a cool head about the situation.

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

I’ve taken to responding to anyone insisting that they can’t possibly be racist/are proclaiming they are definitely not racist/that they can’t understand why ‘the left’ is calling them racist so it must be ‘the left’ that is actually racist…in the following manner:

“The more you protest and rail about not being a racist, the less inclined I am to believing you are indeed not a racist.” or some other similar statement.

It is particularly interesting that in all these recent conversations, until they brought up not being a racist, it wasn’t even part of the discussion at hand. However, problems such as racism and prejudice will never be possible to fix without recognizing and acknowledging where yours exist. And you have to want to fix them – fixing is not “send those other people I don’t like back to whence they came”, nor does it involve taking such horrible glee in an event that costs lives and leaves many more permanently harmed because one imagines it will eventually result in “sending those other people I don’t like back to whence they came” ultimately solving all their life’s problems without ever once realizing that THEY are the cause for their life’s problems, not ‘those scary others’.

Ghost Robot
Ghost Robot

Again an alt-rightist refers to the rest of us as “normies.” If they aren’t every bit like a cult, I’ll eat my hat.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Ghost Robot
Notice how normie is used like infidel? It’s not a coincidence.

cheesynougats
cheesynougats

Has anyone seen Trump’s Twitter feed since the attack? There is no way his response is going to be good.

Dalillama: Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles.
Dalillama: Shepherd of Demonic Crocodiles.

@Bina

It’s even simpler than that; they’re on the same side because they want the same things for the same reasons. It’s like the Packers and the Vikings; sure, they’re bitter rivals, but they’re playing the same game.

Kat

Jewish Family Flees County After Fox News, Breitbart Falsely Blame It for Cancellation of Christmas Play

Kat

Kellyanne Conway Says She Has More Time to Spend with Her Kids Than Her Male Colleagues Because She Doesn’t Have a Mistress

Dunno.

She’s lied about everything else. . . .

Nequam
Nequam

Well, of course she doesn’t have a mistress— I believe the term they use in cases like her would be “kept boy.”

Australia police: Christmas Day bomb plot foiled, 5 detained

Stay safe, Australian Mammotheers!

@Nequam

Ha, ha!

But given that Kellyanne Conway is such a liar, I keep an open mind about everything.

Bina

Snurk…I love how Kellyanne Conway thinks Der Drumpf is no longer keeping mistresses. As though that leopard will ever change its spots…

And we all know that he thinks it’s the wife’s job to stay home with the kids. He did it to Ivana, probably Marla as well, and he’s still doing it to Melania. And why is it the wife’s job? So the husband can gallivant around the golf course and rape any woman he can get his hands on keep mistresses!

MrsObedMarsh
MrsObedMarsh

“‘The more you protest and rail about not being a racist, the less inclined I am to believing you are indeed not a racist.’ or some other similar statement.”

Shakespeare phrased it nicely in Hamlet: “The lady doth protest too much, methinks.”