hypocrisy irony alert kleptocrat in chief shocked SHOCKED trump

I’m shocked, SHOCKED, to see the Trump kids selling access to their dad for big $$$

Also, you get to kill some animals

Apparently it’s only wrong when Hillary (allegedly) does it.

Even after repeatedly attacking Hillary — without evidence — for allegedly operating a pay-for-play scheme when she was Secretary of State, selling access and favors in return for big donations to The Clinton Foundation, the Trumps don’t seem to understand that selling access for money is a bad thing, even when they do it.

First, it was lunch with Ivanka that they were selling. Then, apparently, it was an inauguration weekend hunting and fishing excursion with the Trump boys that also included a few moments of facetime with daddy. For which they were asking a ONE MEEEEEELION DOLLAR donation on behalf of a charity that lists the two brothers as directors.

Here’s how the Associated Press tells the story:

Two recent fundraising pitches featuring the incoming first family were meant to benefit charities, but they also raised questions among ethics experts that the Trumps might be inappropriately selling access.

Oh reeeeeeally.

Last week, Eric Trump tried auctioning a coffee date with his sister Ivanka to raise money for a children’s hospital. Now, Eric and Donald Trump Jr. are named as part of a nonprofit venture that offered the chance to rub elbows with their father during inauguration weekend and go hunting or fishing with the sons in exchange for $1 million donations that would go to conservation charities.

These events are dissolving as quickly as they become public, suggesting the family is learning on the fly what’s acceptable.

I think what the AP writer meant to say was that “the family is still trying to figure out what they can get away with.”

Slate notes that

A Trump spokeswoman now claims that the details in the report “are merely initial concepts that have not been approved or pursued by the Trump family,” and that Don Jr. and Eric “are not involved in any capacity.” The statement, however, did not address the fact that on the paperwork the non-profit submitted to the Texas secretary of state, Don Jr. and Eric are listed as two of the group’s four directors, which suggests they are involved in what could safely be called “some capacity.”

It’s not really a shock that the incoming Trump regime is corrupt to its core. But it is a little surprising just how brazen they’re being about it.

NOTE: Feel free to repost the graphic at the top here, or any of the other Trump-related memes I’ve posted here. Let’s get some memes out there! Also, I like making them, even though my photoshopping skills are rudimentary at best.

Judas Peckerwood
Judas Peckerwood

Just the latest unsurprising development in America’s downwardly spiraling reality-TV culture. It’s what a critical mass, if not an outright majority, of people want, and it’s some fucked up shit for sure.

BGHilton

The weird thing is that kleptocracy is the better side of the Trump presidency. It’s almost preferable that he concentrates on that side of things rather than all of the other awful shit rattling around his orange head.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

Kleptocracy, destruction of the environment and social safety nets, another war to the pile to divert attention from even more tax breaks for the rich, deconsturction of social progress to a Christian Sharia, pick your poison.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I overheard my Trump voting coworker saying he considered himself an environmentalist who distrusts the financial and real estate industries.

He also likes James O’Keefe videos. I can’t even express my reaction in words. I’ve really truly finally run out of evens to can’t.

comment image

The mental gymnastics people have to go through to justify not voting for an icky girl must be exhausting.

Conan the Librarian
Conan the Librarian

@weirwoodtreehugger

An “environmentalist” Trump voter? What, is this guy sincerely ignorant of Trump’s stance on environmental policy, his cabinet picks, etc?

Podkayne Lives (Soulless Golem)
Podkayne Lives (Soulless Golem)

This inability to get that the same standards apply to your guy and other guy has been a marked problem for a while. The thing I’m still seething about…nine or ten years ago, Britney Spears’ little sister had a baby. I don’t know if anyone else remembers this, it wasn’t a big story. She was sixteen or seventeen, the father was a high school classmate, and the kids decided to keep the baby and be engaged to get engaged once they got done with school. It was a really normal kind of thing, not good timing, but pregnancies happen.

Bill O’Reilly ripped the fuck into the family on his show. He called the parents pinheads, and ranted about how this was all the parents’ fault, and if they’d been taking care of their teenagers this wouldn’t have happened, lowering moral standards of America, blah blah.

Then, less than a year later, Bristol Palin’s pregnancy was announced to the world, and Bill sang a different tune. Accidents happen, even in such great families as this, and obviously the Palins are great parents, and how dare liberals not be thrilled that she was being so brave and mature and having the baby?

I wanted to fucking kill him, because I remembered how venomous he’d been about Jamie Lynn Spears in EXACTLY THE SAME SITUATION.

Let’s not even think about what would have been said about Malia Obama if the same had happened in her life.

All of my remaining conservative friends on Facebook brushed this away, ‘it’s for CHARITY, ha ha, dumbasses’, and even the liberals kind of felt they should not be too critical about that, and it was like WAIT, what was that whole pay for play thing supposed to be about again?

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

The Clinton Foundation is a charity, too. That didn’t seem to stop everyone from tearing into Hillary. Why is it okay for Trump to do this for conservative charities, when it’s the same damn thing? Worse, even – the Clinton Foundation fights disease and poverty. A “Conservative Charity” is like a Super-PAC waiting for someone to fund.

Oh, wait, it’s because they have no ethics or morals, it’s all about whose flag you’re waving. Forgot about that.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

I am already so sick and tired of the bullshit duplicity by these goddamned talking head bobbles I want to spit. Nothing fazes these jerks. Nothing.

No lie they can’t spin. No corruption they can’t excuse.

I am so disgusted by these people. Assholes.

Rhuu
Rhuu

@Scildfreja: I read ‘conservative charity’ at first too, but it actually says ‘conservation’.

So still wrong, but not quite AS wrong.

JSun
JSun

@Rhuu

That depends on what the charity is “conserving”
Probably the trump family bank accounts though if we’re being honest here

Nobody Special
Nobody Special

If I had a spare million kicking around I’d happily spend it on a Trump-hunting expedition. Maybe for an extra million they’d release his cabinet choices into the wild too, to make a real weekend of sport.
Let’s be honest, the only facetime I want with Trump would be in the crosshairs of my sights.

Kat
Kat

I’m on pins and needles waiting for Donald Effin’ Trump to become president.

For Melania to become First Lady.

And for the kids to become First Kids.

These Trumps are thoroughly unconventional. Blazing their own effin’ trail.

I’m scared. And really mad.

But, as I remarked the day after that terrible, awful, shocking election, I guess this is why the virtues of inner peace are extolled.

Not to mention the virtues of revolution.

That’s the challenge that I hope we can meet.

Inner peace. And a revolution in our politics.

Kat
Kat

@Nobody Special

Your feelings are understandable.

But this is David’s comment policy:

No threats or violent comments. That includes telling someone to “die in a fire” or remarking that so-and-so would probably be better off dead. This rule is in effect even when you are talking about vile misogynistic shitbags.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@Nobody Special

Concurrence with Kat. It is, however, generally acceptable to wish those troubling this world with myriad fates relating to LEGO.

Snowberry
Snowberry

No, no, see, it’s bad when Hillary does it because she’s so sneaky that you can’t prove a thing. Even when there’s proof she didn’t do it, that only shows you how sneaky she really is! But on the other hand, it’s okay when Trump does it because it’s riiiiight there in your face. No sneakiness there at all, ya see?

BaronJenks
BaronJenks

@Troubelle : Sadly, my standard “I hope you step on an upturned plug” doesn’t always work with an international crowd. US electrical plugs are meek and inoffensive things, compared to the British plug which is like a medieval caltrop and is one of the most painful and unpleasant things to step on in bare feet.

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

And then of course there’s the Kuwait National Day event. Always, for yeeeears, hosted at the Four Seasons in Washington. Not any more …
next time it will be at Trumporama-by-White-House

I’m getting the impression that these people are trying to convince themselves, as well as the rest of us, that it really isn’t kleptocracy, nepotism, fraud, theft or any other misfeasance in public office so long as you are unabashedly brazen and bare-faced about it. You’re not lying to anyone about anything. And that means there’s absolutely nothing wrong with whatever you might be doing. Getting caught while being sneaky seems to be the only sin within this family’s comprehension. Never sneaky. Never wrong.

These are people with the moral compass and sophistication of impulsive four year olds who think that, as long as they say they didn’t mean to do anything wrong, it’s okay to do whatever you happen to blunder into. The shattered remnants of your friend’s favourite toy underfoot and the icecream drips adorning your T-shirt are trivial annoyances. Yeah, it’s broken and yeah, there’s no more icecream. And?

May the whole bang lot of them step on solid gold Legos forever.

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy

They’re draining #Theswamp and filling it with #sewage. Turning it into #TheSewer.

Neremanth, 329 year old Contributor to Society
Neremanth, 329 year old Contributor to Society

I wonder whether the double standard has anything to do with that bit about there legally being no restriction on conflicts of interest for the president that Trump gleefully trotted out? I mean, when Hillary did it, she was Secretary of State, so clearly that was a big no-no, but Trump’s President(-elect), so he can do no wrong. Or something.

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

Double standard? I think there’s one standard for Trump … anything goes. For the rest of the world, it depends on how much he wants to punch down – but there’s no ethics freedom like Trump ethics freedom.

I’m beginning to think that Trump knows he’s won election as president. But he feels as though he’s been elected king.

That would make having his princes and princesses nearby, to learn their roles for when he abdicates in their favour, essential for royal succession rather than prohibited as nepotism. And he’s assured them that he won’t abdicate until he’s settled the most important law he needs to pass.

Abolish inheritance tax. That’s the biggie and that’s the one that will do his family the most good.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

What’s the over/under on Trump being impeached at least once?

(reminder: impeachment isn’t the act of kicking the president out, it’s enough Congress members deciding together to essentially set up a trial and force other Congress members to vote on whether or not to actually kick the president out. Impeachment wouldn’t necessarily have to succeed)

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

meek and inoffensive things, compared to the British plug which is like a mediaeval caltrop

I find that I am inordinately fond of your turn of phrase. Those plugs are indeed evil little buggers.

Jesalin
Jesalin

OT (but I thought it was worth mentioning):

FADA would prohibit the federal government from taking “discriminatory action” against any business or person that discriminates against LGBTQ people. The act distinctly aims to protect the right of all entities to refuse service to LGBTQ people based on two sets of beliefs: “(1) marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman, or (2) sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage.”

The more of this drek I see, the more I wonder if somewhere along the way I stepped through Alice’s looking glass and ended up on some strange and dystopian alternate earth.

ETA: I’m really disappointed that the CBC doesn’t have a single thing about this.

Holytape

Is a conservative charity the one that buys all the birth control to save women from having access to it, or the one that takes in millions of dollars to spend yelling at poor people to work harder.

GiltyPleasures (formerly Owl)
GiltyPleasures (formerly Owl)

@Neremanh: The Newt has said explicitly that DJT can allow family and friends to violate these laws and can then issue executive pardons. (Newt and his buddies of course see nothing objectionable about this.)

Austin Loomis

Jesalin skrev:

I think we’re seeing proof, either that time travel wioll never haven be* invented, or that doomed timelines continue to exist even after someone travels back to redact them.

(* Tip o’the Hatlo hat to Dr. Dan Streetmentioner, author of the seminal Time Traveller’s Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations.)

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

That’s literally what he’s said in his defense, yes. It’s not corruption if he’s not hiding it.

Still trying to set things on fire with my mind. Will let you all know if I have any success.

(Will let you know by setting his hair on fire)

epitome of incomprehensibility

@Austin Loomis – I UNDERSTOOD THAT REFERENCE.

On the original post: yeah, a big stinkin’ heap of hypocrisy.

And this is rather tangential, but it reminded me of being disappointed in the Nature Conservancy of Canada. It’s a thing I donate a bit to each year, and it does vital work buying land to protect animal and plant species, but I’ve seen more and more lately that it’s politically weak and prone to compromise. E.g.:

-One of the surveys NCC sent a couple of years back (I filled it out – this was before I had a full-time job) mentioned something about protecting nature and remaining non-political. I wrote in the blank that they could stand to be a bit more political. Stephen Harper, then prime minister, was openly cutting off funding for environmental science.

-In the same year (2014?) it displayed its list of donors, and one of the big ones was Enbridge. I mentioned this to the NCC staffer who called me on the phone, and she didn’t seem happy about it either.

-A more recent letter was talking about an environmental initiative… in partnership with Shell. Much environment!

I’m conflicted on this. On one hand, too much political advocacy and the charity could potentially lose its tax status – plus, compromise is often necessary to push important deals – but on the other hand, cozying up to big oil/gas companies isn’t a great sign.

Snowberry
Snowberry

Welp, looks like Newt Gingrich declared that Trump is incapable of following ethics laws, so congress should just repeal ’em. Sure ya wanna go down that road, Newtie?

Playonwords
Playonwords

Every single attack that the Breitbart/Trump campaign made on Hillary was projection of his own weaknesses and designed to short circuit similar attacks that might be made on him. “Crooked,” “Traitor,” and “Corrupt,” are obvious. The assault on the (admittedly) awful sexual history of Bill weakened the effect of the reports Trump’s vile actions against women.

Similarly the largely unjustified volleys launched at the Clinton Foundation were deliberately designed to distract from the concealment of Trump’s tax records and the uncharitable status of his “charity”.

Nobody Special
Nobody Special

Kat
December 20, 2016 at 11:43 pm
@Nobody Special

Your feelings are understandable.

But this is David’s comment policy:

Whoops, sorry about that. I was actually thinking of using tranquilisers rather than bullets,kjust enough of a dose to keep them out for long enough to transport the lot to a very remote, uninhabited island before they awaken. Then, leave them to their own devices, and whilst they’re playing at Lord of the Flies, maybe the grown-ups can get on with running the country.

LLE
LLE

Good way to virtue-signal. Bad way to actually get anything done, I fear.

People are sick of lies and slanders, and after the major media themselves openly became sources of propaganda, trust is gone. It’s the “boy who cried wolf” syndrome, and the continuous series of attacks on Trump (and indeed, to stop him) before he’s even become president, just add to that sentiment.

Get it through your minds: unless we treat Trump fairly and with the dignity befitting a president, conservatives will value our words exactly as much, as we valued the words of the Republicans who stonewalled Obama from day one. In both cases, rightly so.

And before your gut response kicks in, remember: The GOP got its ass handed to them, their prime candidates, Jeb and Rubio, got utterly annihilated.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

Trump deserves the exact same level of respect that President Obama received from everyone the last 8 years, LLE.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

How about fuck to the no? How about hell the fuck no? How about hell the fuck no to the flagrant corruption he flaunts as he sells the country for his profit and ego? How about screw the idea of wanting to play nice with neonazis.

You delusional abbreviation of a company’s operations, the GOP WON EVERY BRANCH OF GOVERNMENT.

dlouwe
dlouwe

Holy false equivalence, Batman! Like, I don’t even know where to start about how this is not at all the same thing because of how obvious it is. Maybe the problem people had with Obama getting stonewalled isn’t about the president deserving some default level of “dignity” by virtue of the office, but rather because it was partisan politics bullshit. If the president is a bigoted conman trying to turn the USA into a kleptocracy, then he deserves to be treated as such.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I’ll treat Trump with the dignity afforded to the office of the presidency when he acts with the dignity expected of the office of the presidency.

Also, we don’t live in a totalitarian dictatorship just yet. We’re still allowed to express dissent if we want.

I like that this new troll used a term like virtue signalling and then pretended to be a concerned progressive trying to help the other progressives who are doing it wrong.

comment image

I think my favorite part of that gif will always be the Music Band shirt.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger