racism trump war on reality

Poll: Trump voters more worried by “war on Christmas” than possible war with China

Thanks, Trump voters, thanks a lot!

It’s official: Trump voters are Wile E. Coyote. Like that clueless would-be-roadrunner-murderer, they’ve run our country off a cliff. They just don’t realize it yet.

Evidence of their inability to grasp what exactly they’ve gotten us all into comes in the form of a new poll from the creative folks at Public Policy Polling (PPP). According to a poll of 1200 registered voters conducted earlier this month,

60% of Trump voters … think there’s a War on Christmas to 25% who say there isn’t … In fact 24% of Trump voters say that the War on Christmas concerns them more than a potential war with China would.

Yep, they’re more worked up about people saying “happy holidays” instead of “merry Christmas” than they are by Trump’s reckless escalation of tensions with China, a country with a population of 1.36 billion and, you know, nuclear weapons.

As that that same poll reveals

Trump voters say by a 69-4 margin that they prefer the phrase Merry Christmas to Happy Holidays.

And while we’re on the subject of Christmas, Trump voters also have strong opinions about the color of Santa’s skin.

A majority of Republicans may not believe in Santa but if he does exist they know one thing about him- he’s white. GOP voters nationally by a 54-6 margin say that Santa is white … .

Most Clinton voters, by contrast, don’t actually give a shit what race Santa is. Because seriously.

Meanwhile, a poll by Qualtrics reveals that most Republicans — 52 percent — think that Trump won the popular vote. Seven percent of Democrats think this as well.

Needless to say, Trump did not win the popular vote, Santa is a fictional character who can be whatever color we want, and China really truly seriously is a bigger threat to America than people saying “happy holidays.”

While Trump voters freak out about  imaginary dangers like the “war on Christmas,” we all need to worry about their ongoing war on reality.

Conan the Librarian
Conan the Librarian

@Nequam
@argle

People have strange attitudes about Christmas indeed. While many conservatives use it as a litmus test of resolve to restore “American conservative cultural Christianity ” to predominance, a minority of Christians note the pagan trappings of the holiday and consider the whole thing an abomination. My wife knows people like that. In fact, in many parts of the States Christmas was not even a public holiday until fairly recently!

Don Quijote
Don Quijote

¡Boas festas!

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Conan the Librarian | December 20, 2016 at 8:51 am
[…] a minority of Christians note the pagan trappings of the holiday and consider the whole thing an abomination.

You’re welcome, by the way. 😉

Ariblester
Ariblester

What would the alt-right make of the greeting “Merry Christmas”, if they weren’t on roughly the same ideological hemisphere as those demanding its use? I’d imagine that they’d deride it as ‘virtue signalling’, a hollow gesture only meant to show one’s adherence to social strictures. Sad.

ikanreed
ikanreed

This just continues to reinforce in me the notion that the hard-right believes in magic words.

That certain specific words will magically benefit or harm people. It’s why they think they can’t be racist if they’re not using specific racial slurs. It’s why they think the president using the exact phrase “radical islamic terrorism” will magically help reduce terrorism. It’s probably even why they say “cuck” so much.

Weird (pinko since 1969) Eddie
Weird (pinko since 1969) Eddie

the hard-right believes in magic words

In addition to “magic” words, the hard right is very conscious of words that indicate whether you are “with us” or “ag’in’ us”

“Merry xmas” tells me that, yes, you agree that our white cultural bedrock is under siege by “others” (though it might not mean that to YOU at all)… similarly, “Happy holidays” indicates that either you are one of the others or you don’t realize that you are complicit in the destruction of our culture.

To the white culture fundamentalists, the refusal to use the public treasury to fund a nativity on the courthouse grounds is an act of genocide.

Fabe
Fabe

This article just made me realize that I haven’t seen one facebook meme demanding that people say ‘merry Christmas’. Usually I start seeing those around late October/early December .

Personally I think people should be allowed to use what ever greeting they prefer and other should try and accept it in the spirit it was given provided it was a friendly one.

Hambeast (fan of diversity)
Hambeast (fan of diversity)

During my ten years as a retail worker I learned the easiest way to get through the holidays* is to just mirror back what you get from the custys. I still do that. Here in one of the California red zones, surprisingly, it was generally no specific holiday greeting at all. Thankfully, store management didn’t require us to offer seasonal greetings.

*I am thoroughly enjoying my second holiday season of ignoring (to the extent that’s possible) Christmas. I worked in a craft store and we started getting the Christmas fabric in May. May!! Because baby Jesus requires new seasonal quilts and tree skirts every year or something?

Ten Christmas seasons in retail has killed my holiday spirit for a good, long while.

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

As Santa was a Russian bishop, it’s pretty safe to say he was white. But Jesus on the other hand, certainly was not. He would have been dark skinned like most Mediterranean people.
The White, blue eyed Jesus is Hollywood fiction.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

I’m quite partial to “Have a cool Yule”. That does get me the occasional eyeroll. I think that’s because I still say cool though, rather than not saying Christmas.

As a pleasantry to random people I usually just go with the standard ‘Happy Christmas’. I note a few of our American Mammotheers seem to find that one unusual. Is that not used across the Pond?

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

In the States, “Merry Christmas” is more common than “Happy Christmas.”

Virgin Mary
Virgin Mary

Christmas is a pagan festival anyway, it’s highly unlikely that Jesus was born on December 25th. That used to be Saturnalia, and also the birth of Nimrod/ Osiris the Sun God.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

There is a theory that 25 December was chosen, not to usurp Saturnalia or Sol Invictus or Mithras etc, but because it used to be a belief that righteous men always died on the date of their conception.

So they did a back calculation from one of the suggested dates for Easter.

Falconer
Falconer

@Alan: Presumably not the one that eventually won out. That’d be a hell of a preemie.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Falconer

Well as you’ll know settling the date of Easter was a major controversy in the early church.

But presumably someone in authority decided on 25 March l (or would it be April? My arithmetic skill not up to taking 9 away from 12). Which then meant Jesus must have been conceived on the same date, hence the 25 December birthday.

Or maybe they just assumed anyone that cool must have been a Capricorn. 😉

Karalora
Karalora

@Alan Robertshaw

“Now, history says Christ was likely not a Capricorn
But if you want to share our Yule, we won’t care when he’s born
Come celebrate the dawning of the Sun King’s bright rebirth
And if you practice what you preach, we’ll all have peace on Earth”

–Emerald Rose, “Santa Claus is Pagan Too”

One of my favorite Yule songs! Full of ever-so-gentle salt thrown at self-righteous Christians who think they own the month of December and the concept of celebrating therein.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ karalora

I’m not that bothered about Christmas but I love the solstice.

That’s less my pagan sensibilities though and more “Hooray; the days are getting longer again!”

I Blame Myself
I Blame Myself

Wait… wasn’t the historical figure of St Nicholas from Turkey? In that case, he’d very obviously have brown skin. Are Republicans just misinformed about history, or are they willfully ignorant of historical fact?
On reflection, the likely answer is both.

Podkayne Lives (Heretic-Puncher)
Podkayne Lives (Heretic-Puncher)

Well, nothing is obvious when it comes to the ancient Mediterranean. Many Turks themselves are very fair, but Turkey at the time was the Eastern Roman empire, and mostly Greek trade colonies. Nicholas’ family were ethnic Greeks.

The reconstruction of the bones at Bari that are reputedly his end up looking like this,

or this

The coloring’s an informed guess, of course. But he probably didn’t look like someone’s German grandpa.

Of course, the Nicholas thing I love is the tendency of Catholic bloggers over the past few years to reference his infamous showdown with Arius at the Nicean Council. My favorite meme’s text reads: “I came here to give presents and punch heretics, and I’m all out of presents.”

joekster- (betas bearded)
joekster- (betas bearded)

Question: wasn’t it less than a hundred years ago that conservative Protestants wanted to ban Christmas as a Catholic holiday?

joekster- (betas bearded)
joekster- (betas bearded)

And Conan and fridges virgin both ninja’d me.

@alan: as I understand it, Easter was originally directly tied to the Jewish Passover, as the Synoptic Gospels state quite clearly that Christ was crucified during the Passover festival.

However, after Jerusalem was sacked by the Romans, various communities of the Jewish diaspora started disagreeing about their calendar, which left the Christian community at some odds with each other about when to celebrate Easter.

So, at Nicea I, they just decided to make it the first new moon after the spring equinox. Probably to make their sun worshipping emperor (Constantine) happy.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Sarah of Libraria
Sarah of Libraria

Hello all,

I lurk often but don’t think I have commented before. Personally, my favorite explanation for Christmas is this one.

There is something pretty badass about the idea that when our ancestors, whomever they may be, were faced with an annual event that would have definitely killed a large percentage of their friends and family, they decided to have a kick ass party. Though, I guess that only applies to those who lived above the equator. Maybe aboriginal peoples had a “Christmas in July” for lack of a better term.

Unrelated to anything but David (or anyone else), have you ever read the book “The Authoritarians” by Bob Altemeyer? I am kind of interested on your thoughts on the ideas presented in that book in light of the manosphere and “alt-right” movement. You can read it for free with the author’s full permission here.

And now I move back into the shadows.

epitome of incomprehensibility

This reminds me of a recent Onion article: “Nation’s Oppressed Christians Huddle Underground To Light Single Shriveled Christmas Shrub“.

A sample: “At great personal risk, the Christians were said to have smuggled in a few strings of colored mini lights, tinsel, popcorn garlands, Hallmark Keepsake ornaments, and other contraband in order to trim the shrub inside the subterranean chamber, the last place in America where they were safe to celebrate Christmas.”

In personal news, it’s my first day off work for the holidays and I’ve got a cold. Sniffles, headache, etc. Grrr.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ jokester

That tallies with what I’ve always been told. Those early church convocations are pretty fascinating. It’s interesting to see how what people regard as the inerrant will of god was so often decided by a committee after arguments and a vote.

What amuses me about the Nicean Creed is how it’s so obviously not a prayer or religious invocation but a statement of agreed principles. What with all the qualifications and subclauses, it reads exactly like what we call a compromise agreement; the sort of thing you get after lawyers have settled a dispute.

LeftWingFox
LeftWingFox

My condolences, epitome. I’ve had a cold for two of my last three Christmases, and while I’ve so far resisted all the colds rolling through the office, I’m not looking forward to the potential from the 6 hour bus trip on Thursday.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

For seven years or so, I lived in Tooting, South London. I loved that the “Christmas” street lights were up from end of October to beginning of January. They were pretty non-denominational, so could cover Halloween, Guy Fawkes/Bonfire Night, Eid ul Fitr, Diwali, Hannukah, Christmas, Yule, Saturnalia, New Years Eve and probably many other holidays.

As I lived on a hill, most weekends over the same period, I got to see fireworks.

No one ever policed what I said. Everyone took everything in the spirit in which it was meant.

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

I now live in Brighton. Our lights this year spell out Believe, Dream, Wish and Ding Dong.

I’m not saying anything. Except I miss the phallicly suggestive lights. They were less bland.

Lagertha
Lagertha

When I grew up (in the 1950s) people used Happy Holidays as a way to include all the holidays, Christmas Eve and Day, and New Year’s Eve and Day. The week between Christmas and New Year was spent visiting friends and relatives. Happy Holidays just made sense. Perhaps if these Christians spent more time “doing unto others,” they wouldn’t have time for such silliness.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

@Weatherwax

Lights that say “Ding Dong” sound phallically suggestive enough to me. =P

Lurker (and tiny funder) who can't think of good names
Lurker (and tiny funder) who can't think of good names

On the “Happy Christmas” note, it is interesting that the last line of the 1822 poem “A Visit from St. Nicholas” (or commonly, “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas”) is “Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night”. It still sound odd to me, though, having grown up with “Merry Christmas” or “Happy Holidays”.

peep
peep

The War on Christmas has been an utter failure. Mandatory minimum sentencing has done nothing to keep people from celebrating. I propose we legalize it, or at least reduce the penalty to a fine.

(I’m talking about the same War on Christmas, right?)

SpleenyBadger
SpleenyBadger

I say “Happy Holidays” (a) because I’m an atheist and it feels more comfortable for me, and (b) because it’s non-specific and all-inclusive. Who doesn’t want a happy holiday?? The possibility of annoying/upsetting conservatives is just an added bonus.

Podkayne Lives (Effortless Chicken)
Podkayne Lives (Effortless Chicken)

Does it say that? I learned “Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!” I think I did. I can’t remember saying it any other way. Must have been modernized for my generation.

‘Happy Christmas’ sounds terribly wrong to my American-tuned ears.

Of course, in Yiddish, Christmas is ‘Nitl’. Perhaps I should just start wishing everyone a freilacheh nitl.

chesselwitt
chesselwitt

How hard is it to acknowledge that everyone is not you? Not everyone celebrates the same thing you do, get over it. (Not directed at anyone here. I’m just sick of having to have this same stupid “War on Christmas” argument every fucking year because people can’t seem to comprehend that not every single person is a Christian and acknowledging that fact is not a war on your religion.)

Whenever I see Season’s Greetings on something I always think of Dave Barry’s comment that it doesn’t mean anything. It’s like walking up to someone and saying, “Appropriate remark!” in a loud, cheery voice.

Nobody Special
Nobody Special

Virgin Mary
December 20, 2016 at 12:20 pm
The White, blue eyed Jesus is Hollywood fiction.

True, but try telling your average American Christians that their blue-eyed boy, had he actually lived, would have owed his looks more to Osama bin Laden than to (insert name of any white actor who played Jesus) without making their heads explode.
Go on…..I dare you 🙂

Regarding how people pass on their seasonal greetings, ‘Merry Christmas and a happy New Year’ is how we always said it.

Karalora
Karalora

I hear far more people complaining that they’re “not allowed” to say Merry Christmas than complaining that someone else said Merry Christmas.

And I live in L.A.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

The alleged War on Christmas is what I like to awkwardly call a “wrong context problem.”

When you see “Happy Holidays” in place of “Merry Christmas,” it’s usually at some storefront or in the context of some TV or radio show or something like that. Lots of people think this is because of shadowy (((investors))) demanding the people they pay not remind them that Christians exist. But it’s actually because advertisers on those shows and the owners of those storefronts want all the money. And they’re completely aware that Jewish and Muslim people have money. And “Happy Holidays” is cheaper to print than “Merry Christmas, and also Hannukah, and also some people celebrate Mawlid around December, right?”

So it’s not a “War on Christmas,” but a “War on non-Christians’ wallets.”

Racka Rornoshy
Racka Rornoshy

I was under the impression that Blue Eyes White Jesus sounds like it would make a good addition to Yu-Gi-Oh.

Kevin
Kevin

I’ll just park this here. Happy Hogswatch.

Simon
Simon

Do they know the Russians don’t even celebrate Christmas on December 25th

I presume you refer to the Russian Orthodox Christmas? Actually they do celebrate it on the 25th of December, they just have a different view on when that falls. That said, you could convert on December 27th and have a second Christmas on the 7th of January by Gregorian Calendar.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

1)I don’t say any phrase. Small talk is my nemesis, and ‘Happy Holidays’ and its variations are the nadir of that

2)when customers say whatever phrase, my response is the same as when anyone wishes me well. ‘You too’

3)70% of the country is some kinda Christian, yet 90% celebrate Christmas. That’s the opposite of a war on your fuckin holy day

4)China, Russia, and Germany are gonna be the new superpowers. And the ‘Murica 1st’ types are just gonna let it happen, cos brown people are scary and girls shouldn’t be President. Ugh…