armageddon from russia with trump kleptocrat in chief trump

Delay the Electoral College vote until electors are briefed on Russia’s election hacks!

Does Trump even know that Putin is playing him like a pro?

Time is running out! The Electoral College is scheduled to vote on Monday. Please add your voice to those demanding a delay in the vote so the electors can be fully briefed on Russia’s interference in our election, interference which arguably cost Hillary Clinton an electoral college victory.

There are a number of different petitions to sign on Avazz, and MoveOn.org to demand that the electors be given a briefing before they vote on Monday or that the vote be delayed until such a briefing can be arranged.

Avazz has a petition demanding that electors get a briefing before they vote.

MoveOn.org has one demanding that the government declassify all evidence of Russian interference and host intelligence briefing for electors before Electoral College votes on December 19. There are a number of related petitions there as well.

Post information about these petitions and the issue in general on Facebook and Twitter and other social media. Post some of the memes I’ve made on the subject or make your own.

At this point, these petitions may be something of a futile endeavor, as the CIA has reportedly said that there will be no briefing, but I think it’s still worth it to stand up and say something about this travesty.

If the vote isn’t delayed, consider joining one of the candlelight vigils that will be held in all 50 state capitals tomorrow night, intended to support those electors who do what’s right and vote against Trump. You can also support this campaign by taking a photo of yourself with a candle and posting it to social media.

For more information on the vigils, see here.

As I see it, there are three main reasons why the electors should vote against Trump.

He lost the popular vote by more than three million votes, demonstrating just how screwy it is that we decide our elections not based on who gets the most votes but on a convoluted system that essentially makes the votes of white rural voters worth more than those of people of color. Electors, protest this absurdity by voting against Trump!

The Russian hacks. Do we really want the outcomes of our elections to be determined by dirty tricks engineered and overseen by Vladimir Putin? Do we want to have a president who is beholden to the autocratic Russian leader?

Trump has made clear that he intends to oversee a kleptocracy designed to benefit himself and his friends. He has refused to take even the most basic steps to disconnect himself financially from his businesses. He will be violating the laws, and the constitution, from the moment he takes office.

Any of these things would be enough to render Trump an illegitimate president. But all three? Voting against Trump is not just an option for the electors. It’s their duty to their country.

Six months from now, none of us want to wake up to this:

Not an unthinkable scenario, unfortunately

Here’s another version of the puppet graphic:

And a blank one if you want to add your own words:

I’m going to be making a lot more of these little propaganda posters in the next few days and weeks. Please spread them around! And make some of your own!

Michael Brew
Michael Brew

Saw those in my email earlier today. Didn’t think it’d do much good, but I went ahead and signed, anyway. I guess I can see why the CIA wouldn’t want to brief the Electors. After all, wouldn’t want to influence the results! Nevermind that the hacks and foreign fake news propaganda influenced them, already. “Two wrongs don’t make a right.” Of course, such platitudes, while good rules of thumb, are hardly universally applicable, and I personally believe leveling the playing field in this instance is justified. Still, can you imagine the uproar if the Electors actually did vote against Trump?

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Good luck with this. The day the electors meet is chosen by Congress. Although Congress can change it, I don’t see a Republican Congress acting in a way that might get Hillary Clinton elected. They support Trump because they know they can blow their agenda through and he will sign everything, and they don’t give a fuck about the country beyond that.

Karalora
Karalora

they don’t give a fuck about the country beyond that.

Lately I’ve been wondering how this happened. What brought the party of Lincoln to this point?

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

??? Racism, and to a lesser extent misogyny, of course.

Croosters
Croosters

I have a friend who worked for the German security services as a cyber-intelligence analyst. He thinks that it’s very unlikely Russia directly hacked DNC servers, as the NSA would’ve spotted it almost immediately. It’s more likely they had an inside man. Given the FSB’s skill, that wouldn’t surprise me.

BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink
BoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoinkBoink

@Karalora

What brought the party of Lincoln to this point?

I blame the Atlas Shrugged mentality and it’s persistent myth that people who aren’t already born with all their benefits are nothing but “moochers”.

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

PoM

Nobody believes it’s either desirable or possible to replace Trump with Clinton. One proposal going around (real kumbaya round the campfire utopia this one) was for Clinton’s elector’s to vote for another Republican. Names floated by most are Romney, McCain, McMullin and to encourage GOP electors to do the same. If enough defect to get Trump’s total below 270 then it goes to congress.

At which point everyone will sit down together nicely and play properly at break time and they will agree on a “moderate” Republican for president, a “moderate” Dem for vice president and draw up a list of suitable candidates for cabinet positions to be equally split between the two parties.

I smile a bit at the thought of President McMullin standing beside Vice President Caine. It’s a bit of an impossible dream but waaaay better than the all too possible nightmare if things go the way they’re headed.

Karalora
Karalora

Well, I know they embraced racism largely as part of the “Southern Strategy,” but it seems to me there must have been some thread of cynicism present already if they decided to sacrifice their party’s ethics in order to maintain power.

It seems to me that when the Democrats discover their platform isn’t playing well to a particular demographic, they do one of three things: 1) try to figure out what that demographic wants and offer it to them as best they can given their existing platform, 2) try to win over hearts and minds, or at worst, 3) just ignore them and court other demographics instead. When Republicans find out they aren’t appealing to a certain demographic, they try to prevent that demographic from voting at all. It’s basically a tacit admission that their party’s goals have no place in a free democracy.

Handsome (Punkle Stan) Jack

Hasn’t Trump made the CIA mad by refusing to go to briefing anyway? It’s the FBI that wouldn’t want the info to influence the results since they were the ones who released that email shit the week before elections.

Michael Brew
Michael Brew

Sure, the CIA in general might prefer that Trump was not elected, but I mean that they probably still have some ethical attachment to the idea of impartiality which the FBI abandoned during the election.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

Every day I’m getting more pissed at the DNC not understanding how they dun goofed and their comments about being ignorant on how they dun goofed adds fuel to the fire.

Handsome (Punkle Stan) Jack

@Michael Brew

The thing is is that it’s pretty much confirmed that Russia interfered with the election. It’s a publicly known fact by now. It seems that it would be irresponsible to NOT inform them that possible outside interference could have tampered with the results.

Isn’t it?

Latte Cat
Latte Cat

The fact he lost the popular vote is the biggest injustice. The whole electoral system is so nonsensical.
Fingers crossed for you over here in the UK. There’s no point pretending the chance isn’t very small, but as it’s said, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Michael Brew
Michael Brew

Well, sure. But the whole “don’t influence the election” thing is usually held as pretty absolute among government agencies even when it deals with factual, indisputable information, which is why the FBI director’s thing was so shocking even to many Republicans. I’m not saying that’s right, but it’s probably the principles the CIA is trying to hold onto at this point.

Cynical Optimist
Cynical Optimist

@Handsome Jack

No it’s fine everyone’s informed and silly things like reality won’t get in the way at all.

Wait there’s something wrong with that sentence. /sarcasm\obliviousness

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Like it’d matter. They’d pretend to listen like a grounded kid and then just rubber-stamp the cishet white man with an R after his name anyway, like all those other Republicans who soapboxed about how they could never vote for a white supremacist child rapist yet still did, because party (and penis) before country.

Handsome (Punkle Stan) Jack

@SFHC

Listen…listen and hear this with a bit of sarcasm and despair and a miniscule amount hope for real…

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Loyalty above morality. In this case for them voting for a kleptocrat child rapist/work stiffer/racist/bad businessman/nazi dogwhistler/molester is moral. Why? Because white dick, big money and bigoted jesus.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@David
Their inactivity is their modus operandi when push comes to shove.

Bethd
Bethd

The problem with the abandonement of the electoral college is that then only highly populated areas would be of concern to presidential candidates. They’d only have to win the majority of major cities. The electoral college isn’t perfect, but it’s better than if only densely populated areas mattered. I live in a rural community, so I kinda care that the president takes into account rural unions and agricultural concerns. PLEASE NOTE: I did not vote for Trump –in addition to being horrific on every level he is also anti-union and doesn’t give a shit about workers. At least Hilary Clinton had was pro-union.

So how can it be fixed? I’ve always thought that if the popular vote exceeds a calculated quantity of votes based on overall population (for example, say this year the threshold was 2.5 million. It’d have to be adjusted every election year, though) then it would override the electoral college. Something like that. I’m no political scientist, that’s just my two cents.

JSun
JSun

@Bethd
I realize you might think that sounds logical but it doesn’t.

Sure the candidates might only focus on the bigger cities, but that will by no means invalidate the votes of rural areas.

Instead you rural people would be able to upset the vote quite considerably if you were upset at who the candidates were pandering to.
There are almost 50 million americans in rural areas. That’s enough to change the vote if you all wanted.

Karalora
Karalora

@ David, @ Ooglyboggles

How do we get them off their asses?

How do we get anyone in the government to do the right thing?

This isn’t my wail of despair this time; it’s a serious question.

Bethd
Bethd

@Jsun

I’m sorry, a popular vote would effect how/what politicians campaign for, overwhemingly favouring the needs/wants of the cities.

No politician would look at that map and say, “I should definitely look into the concerns of wyoming!”

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Karalora
Either
A) You manage to gather a significant following of people dedicated to a particular goal for months on end in efforts to create change through media and protest
or
B) Be rich (white male and christian improves chances to certainty) and fund politicians’ campaigns.
or
C) Get more people to vote in down ticket races and be involved in local politics.

theseventhguest
theseventhguest

I don’t think that my vote, as a Nebraskan, should count more than other people’s votes.

I also don’t think that Congress needs the extra power they receive in the presidential elections by gerrymandering congressional districts.

Every state has rural and city voters. The system as it is now makes many of their votes pretty useless unless they are in a swing state.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Beth,

The way things are now, rural voters have disproportionate power. As a person living in a progressive city in a purple to blue state, my vote does almost nothing. Cities are where the majority of the citizens live and metro areas the vast majority, yet the interests of city people are almost completely ignored both on the state and federal level. The outsized power of the mostly whiter and older rural citizenship has given us more racist, sexist, and homophobic policies and it enacted the very economic policies that help Wall Street but hurt those very same rural folk. So fuck the rural vote. We’d be better off with the cities – the majority of the populace – having more electoral power. Both metro and rural people would be better off.

BTW, I still remember last time you posted here. You called us mean. I forgot why. You admitted to showing your ass, trolling, and getting banned here at some point in the past. So I’m not sure why your concern trolling about how paying attention to the needs of the majority of the citizenry would be bad should be taken seriously.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

It’s really frustrating that Obama and the Dems in general are doing almost nothing to stop this travesty.

After eight years of “HE’LL REPEAL THE TWO-TERM LIMIT AND DECLARE HIMSELF PRESIDENT FOR LIFE!” conspiracy theories, even something as simple as taking the initiative here would almost certainly get him shot. The rest of the Dems have no excuse, of course, but I can’t really blame Obama for not wanting to end up dead.

JSun
JSun

@Bethd

As I said, there are almost 50 million rural voters in america.

If a candidate ignored you, then you could get together with others and protest in a way that’s guaranteed to get attention. There are certainly more than enough of you.
and the fact that you are commenting here means you have the means to connect with other rural areas throughout the country. So you can’t use the “we’re too far apart to gather” excuse.

There is no reason to have or to defend the electoral college. Your vote will still matter when it’s gone. It’s just that right now your vote matters more than certain other groups, and that’s not democratic in the slightest.

Ariblester
Ariblester

@Bethd

Why would “politicians” choose to ignore the less densely populated areas of the country? The USA is still a federal republic, with elected representatives from each state in the bicameral legislature, right? A legislature which has, and which continues to exert, more power on the functioning of government than the Executive? Not to mention the various state governments? How would abolishing the Electoral College change this?

Snowberry
Snowberry

As it is, presidential candidates only have to pander to the concerns of a handful of “swing” states, which are all medium-sized. Except for Florida. Well, maybe also Pennsylvania, but that’s kind of borderline. So while low population rural states may have disproportionate representation in general, their concerns still don’t matter that much on the presidential level.

Angry Since 11/09/2016
Angry Since 11/09/2016

David, the sad truth is that we went high and they went low and most Americans are low. The truth isn’t fun enough for most Republicans…they must have a conspiracy or a Bible moment. The world didn’t go forward when we did…the rest are in the 50s and think that women really wanted to be with those dildos.The rest are just homophobic and racist and think that is the right way. They are wrong but that doesn’t seem like something we will see in my lifetime and I’m young.

Pie
Pie

Complaining that you must have the greatest influence over both the senate and the president despite making up a minority of the populace is a sizeable “fuck you” to both the other 250+ million folk you share your country with and the notion of representative democracy. Why should you be a privileged class?

It also says that the president has far too much power and influence. The position clearly needs to be cut down to size, given that the office and the hugely elaborate and extended song-and-dance that builds up to the election is just one big tumor that’s sucking the life out of the rest of the country.

Kat
Kat

Thanks, David! I signed both petitions. We’re at 68,000 signatures.

Fun fact: Once you sign, Avaaz will take you to another page. If you quickly return to the original page, you might be able to see your name flash by, along with the flag of your country.

Moocow

The electoral college is basically, in its effect if not in intention, a big gerrymandering scheme that advantages rural and white people.

And I would love nothing more than Trump to go down in history as the straw that broke the camel’s back.

I hope something happens. I’m unfortunately worried, so many electors remain steadfast in their support for Trump. Electors all over the country are receiving death threats, which really needs to fucking stop because that is doing less than nothing. Michigan is especially a problem, since laws prevent even the hope of a faithless elector vote.

Bethd
Bethd

Everyone who replied:

Thank you. Thank you so much. Up until about a year ago I was of the opinion that the electoral college should be abolished. Then my parents (Trump supportors / major conservatives) made me feel very, very dumb for having that opinion. They pounded my head full of “facts” that we wouldn’t be represented, etc (I live in Idaho) and the arguments made sense, especially making me feel dumb… You reminded me of why I had that opinion in the first place; they act like the president runs everything and that rural areas have no representation, and that cities are just hiveminds that would trample everyone else.

Thank you. I know I’ve been a real assbag in the past, and I apologize once again for that. I’ve been having a tough time lately, feeling completely betrayed by my parents-two intelligent, very ambitious and sucessful people-suddenly supporting a demagogue and acting like he can do no harm. I am a transgender person, so it’s hard for me to fathom how they can say they love me when they support such an evil administration that will likely harm me.

Because I’ve lived so long under their chatter, and because I look up to them so much, I try to see things from their point of view. I try to give conservative thought a chance.

But it doesn’t really work anymore. How can I keep giving chances to views that are rooted in such toxic hatefulness? It feels like when I was younger Republicans weren’t this evil, so it feels like there are two choices:

Maybe they always were and it’s out in the open now, or they have zero integrity in the values they claim to stand for. Neither option is good.

But each day that passes I find it harder and harder to find commonality with my own parents… It feels like I don’t want to be around them anymore. It sucks.

Sorry for such a long post.

Otrame
Otrame

How did the party of Lincoln end up where it is today? Well nothing that big and that human is simple, but I think it comes down to racial politics and two decisions, one by LBJ, and one by Nixon.

In the mid-60s the Dems controlled the south, almost absolutely, largely because the Republicans had won The War of Northern Aggression. There was wiggle room for Republicans along the edges of the south, and they controlled the west, as they, for the most part, do today.

Then Lyndon Johnson took a look at the situation, especially the makeup of SCOTUS and what MLK called the arc of history. It was clear to him that the idea of civil rights was becoming more and more acceptable, even in the South. I think he decided that if Civil Rights legislation was going to happen anyway, he wanted the Democratic Party to get the credit.

Working with Republicans, he got the Civil Rights Act passed and actually started enforcing some of the rulings of SCOTUS and large segments of the South had a large hissy fit and some expressed their ire by becoming Republicans, which doesn’t make sense, but that is what they did.

Then Nixon saw all that anger at Johnson and decided on the whole Southern Strategy. The thing about the Southern Strategy that really fucked over the Republicans was 1) they had to pander to the more extreme conservatives (in this case conservative meant racist), thus selling their birthright with people of color for a bowl of Winning the next election and 2) set up an attitude where winning was the only thing. This attracted the really big rich, especially since the Dems had also taken up with those damned Unions. The whole thing was a political positive feedback situation that has done what positive feedback always does… gone completely out of control.

In other words LBJ took the long view and Nixon took the short view. The Republicans won a few elections but lost their souls. That does not make the Dems all noble and everything. I’m sure LBJ’s motives were far far more political than noble. But the result of all of this forced the Dems to be more inclusive. In the long run that will be the winning strategy, as Johnson realized. It’s just taking a little longer to win over the rest of the country to the idea because of the active and very expensive efforts of some very rich men to keep the average guy from realizing who is really to blame for the fact that these days a high school diploma will not automatically earn you a living wage by giving them a series of scapegoats and lying their asses off.

At least that is the way I see it. 🙃

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Bethd
At the very least you were able to come clean. I’m sorry that your parents’ cognitive dissonance had to be based on discrimination of all things. I’m still trying to get my devout Catholic mother to start treating trans people as real instead of “not a real gender” in between her passive aggressive demands for me to change my entire personality to suit her. I can’t imagine what it feels like to be in your boots.

Best of wishes to ya.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

I really wanna hang on to the tiny hope that he might not be POTUS in the end. Can’t really do anything from this side of the ocean though…

Are there petitions that allow foreigners ?

I’ll never repeat it enough, but what happens in the US doesn’t stay in the US, so it’s pretty legitimate for the rest of the planet to have a say. POTUS basically means president of the world, to a certain extent, so y’know…

(Yes, I fully realize the irony of being a foreigner and wanting to do something, while protesting other foreign interferences, but there’s gotta be a difference between making yourself heard and, y’know, what Russia did, right ?)

Unrelated, but the “party of Lincoln” thing mentioned above reminded me of something. I’ve been trying to do research on this before, but for some reason I really can’t figure it out, probably because I lack some key context. Can someone point me to a good explanation of the history of both parties ? I’ve read various things mentioning that Republicans used to be the progressives and the roles basically reversed at some point, and I’m extremely puzzled about that. For one, my country doesn’t really do the whole “centuries old parties” thing, so I guess that’d be the start of an explanation, but I don’t really get it.

I saw this posted somewhere a while back, possibly on this blog, and thought it was helpful:

joekster- (betas bearded)
joekster- (betas bearded)

@sinkable John: Otrame’s summary above is pretty good, as far as it goes. However, the swap started in the early part of the twentieth century.

Between the Civil War and Woodrow Wilson, the Republican Party pretty much ran Washington, largely by reminding everyone that the Confederates were Democrats. This caused the GOP to become the establishment party, and forced the democrats to become more progressive, culminating in FDR.

joekster- (betas bearded)
joekster- (betas bearded)

@Bethd: I grew up in Nevada, and my folks now live in Missoula, so I feel you.

Podkayne Lives (Soulless Golem)
Podkayne Lives (Soulless Golem)

While we’re on the subject, can anyone recommend me a good article or argument (you don’t have to find it compelling, just well-written, by someone who’s not ridiculous) on why the electors should NOT nullify Trump? I have a good one in favor of it, and would like my students to read a counterargument.

I asked about this on Facebook, but a certain conservative of my acquaintance decided to take over the thread ‘splainin’ to me how important the Electoral College is. We got nowhere. I tried to redirect him, but it was useless.

I have to say, I find it sort of frustrating that the same people who have been telling me for years how undemocratic and condescending and awful affirmative action is are now telling me how people in Wyoming need extra votes to make it up to them for…um…something.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Speaking of articles and the like, can anyone suggest a snappy title for a paper on why Incels present a terrorist threat?

Ideas for compelling sub-headings also welcome.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Can someone point me to a good explanation of the history of both parties ?

The history of party in the United States is the history of the United States. Party history goes all the way back to the Revolutionary War, and is inextricably intertwined with American history ever since. Unfortunately it’s difficult to get a solid American history that includes party, because most “for the masses” history doesn’t want to “get political,” so the politics are excised. This leaves people’s motives in doing what they did largely unexplained, and IMHO is one reason why American history is such a boring subject in school.

Valentine
Valentine

With a due respect. Fuck trump but fuck this anti-russian nonsense.

Valentine
Valentine

I dont have good internet so i cannot follow everything as close as David and some of you. Im on a ship in Black Sea at the moment. I have been since June. So if theres any info I’m missing here i am open to correction.

Karalora
Karalora

I feel like there’s still something missing in the Republican story. When did they start absolutely refusing to work with the Democrats on anything? That’s definitely behavior I see more on the GOP side. The Democrats are far more likely to “reach across the aisle” and offer compromise, even when they have a majority. You know, like good guys and grown ups.

When, in general, did this country develop the idea that people with different political views were not fellow citizens, but literal enemies?

And how do we change that?

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@Karalora, roughly when Fox News started, I think? Trying to avoid hyperbole, but it really did seem to become a widespread problem right around when Fox News started normalizing lies as truth.