open thread

Friday Night Imaginary Karaoke Party with Weirdly Filtered Pic of Debbie Harry (Open Thread)

Soon turned out to be a pain in the ass

It’s Friday, at least in my part of the space-time continuum, so here’s an open thread for you all. No trolls, MRAs, Trump fans, etc.

And since I’m posting weirdly filtered pics, here’s a weirdly filtered pic of my cats in their kitten days:

And some random ladies having a drink:

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Health update: Earlier this week I saw my neurologist for the formal review of my MRI, which means I also got the measurements for my brain bleed at the time of my hospitalization and how big it is now.

It’s shrunk to about a third of its original size.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

dikdik,

Translation: it won’t be that bad… for me.

People suck.

I personally think we should not be shy about telling people that enabling racism by passively tolerating it is effectively the same as actively supporting it. I think people like those you’re describing will just get worse if we coddle them.

That said, I know there are circumstances where you can’t be as aggressive like workplace.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Glad things are coming along VP!

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

VP that sounds brilliant. I hope it’s as brilliant as it sounds?

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Thanks, wwth and opposablethumbs. Yes, it’s a good result – as good as I could hope for, tbh. We’ll see how things look with my next MRI, spring 2017.

Handsome (Punkle Stan) Jack

@Victorious Parasol

comment image

Conan the Librarian
Conan the Librarian

how the Clinton Foundation is pay for play (a fact I haven’t vetted so have no opinion on)

Basically no evidence that the Clinton Foundation was/is “pay to play” despite months of digging by the media (“we haven’t found anything, but questions remain” was the usual mantra).

Besides that, anybody who can complain about the Clinton Foundation and be OK with the Trump Foundation, not to mention the massive conflicts of interest involved in the man’s business dealings AND those of some of his cabinet picks, his refusal to release his tax returns so we don’t know who he owes money to, is either woefully ignorant or just making excuses for taking a political position they were determined to take anyway.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@vp
That’s great news!

dikdik
dikdik

Thank you all for your input. It’s just so strange to me that people consider themselves liberal and are so comfortable with Trump. I mean, I get that it affects them less. I just can’t imagine looking at other people suffering and being like “Hmm…. This isn’t real.”

But she also doesn’t believe Bannon is a white nationalist. So I guess facts are just out the window here! So there is really no point to me saying anything. It’s hard not to feel defeated this month. I’ve been calling my reps every week and it seems like nothing matters.

Stephen Lawt
Stephen Lawt

There is a new HBomberguy Video on Cultural Marxism

Crip Dyke
Crip Dyke

How/why did Debbie Harry turn out to be a pain in the ass?

Enquiring minds and all that…

Karalora
Karalora

@StephenLawt

It’s a bit blink-and-you-miss-it, but HBomberGuy correctly identifies one often-overlooked component of the nationalists’ fantasy world: Everyone in it is beautiful. They really do seem to think that if they can just get their way, there will be no ugly or even plain people, especially women. It reminds me of the MRA assertion that in “the past,” when women “knew their place,” they were better looking. They don’t seem to realize that women in old paintings are lovely because the painters painted them that way, and women in old photographs are lovely because unlovely women were not frequently photographed.

If you judged the population of the current year from photos in celebrity magazines, you would get the idea that this is a gorgeous time to be alive.

epitome of incomprehensibility

@Sinkable John – I would be happy to volunteer some proofreading, if not creating content. Let me know a way to reach you when you’re ready to get started.

(Some background on me: I’ve got decent writing/editing skills, but also because of ADHD and/or bad habits I’m not terribly organized with time. I hope that isn’t too much a drawback, because your project sounds like an interesting thing to help with.)

Ellesar
Ellesar

Crip Dyke:

It is a line from Heart of Glass:

‘Once had love, and it was a gas.
Soon turned out to be a pain in the ass’.

numerobis
numerobis

… we are living in a time of widespread famine, but somehow rich other than in food.

dikdik
dikdik

@Stephen

IDK why that Miley Cyrus bit is sticking in my craw. Like, yeah, the lady who is a multimillionaire is more prosperous than the woman married with 4 surviving kids and a long skirt. I just can’t get over how that is even a question that pops up to these fellows.

ryeash
ryeash

@Sinkable John

I would also be interested in your project. I do freelance research/writing, and I’m starting to get a handle on HTML/CSS and JavaScript. It’s frustrating not being able to do anything about what’s happening…basically everywhere in the world right now.

@Victorious Parasol

Yay for good news, and I hope you get more of those come spring.

@Jack

Am glad you like it.

It started with a doodle I called Ed. Then it sorta went downhill from there, and I started drawing varied Eds based on everyone around me and myself, and Edified famous portraits. By the time I was 14 I had a poster-size Ed Guevara modeled after the uberfamous pic, for example. I think the only one of those giant portraits that could have survived to this day is Louise MichEd, because I gifted it to a friend. The others were lost in a hilarious accident involving a candle and a fork.

Ed is literally the only thing I can draw besides more abstract doodles. Gonna try and see if I can find one of the original Eds though.

@Conan The Librarian & epitome of incomprehensibility

To be fair it’s not really about them poor white cishet men who didn’t know that fascism isn’t actually gonna make them any happier, because frankly, fuck ’em. It’s more of another example of how utterly devoid of humanity that ideology is. The main focus IS the bigotry, just seen through the angle of what they had to strip themselves of to get where they are now.

I’m not terribly organized with time. I hope that isn’t too much a drawback

If it was, I wouldn’t have even formulated the idea to begin with, because I’m just terrible at this whole time and organization thing ._.
So don’t worry about that :p

Today I’m gonna scour the terrible, terrible corners of the internet and write a few examples. Just… mind that as I said, I can’t structure.

Sheila Crosby

Re Clinton Foundation: what Conan the Librarian said.

Part of the problem is that people think sexism (and racism) is something done by consciously evil people wearing a T shirt saying, “I am a willful bigot.” What usually happens is that people find rationalizations for their prejudice and never notice. -I vaguely remember a study where people had to decide on college admissions. When the black kids had better coursework, then exam results were more important, and when they had better exam results, coursework was more important. “Racist? Me? How dare you! I just happen to believe that coursework/exam results are the important thing.”

So people grade on one hell of a curve. The Clinton Foundation may possibly have allowed pay to play sometimes, but used the money to save lives? Terrible! The Trump Foundation quite definitely ran on pay to play frequently, and used the money to pay Trump’s legal obligations? No big deal. Clinton got paid $250,000 to give a talk to Goldmann Sachs? Waaaaay too close to Wall St. Trump gets paid $1,200,000 to do the same? Well he’s a successful man, what do you expect? Waddaya mean sexist? You can’t prove that Clinton is innocent, so I have to vote for the man – I mean Trump.

This sort of double standard doesn’t mean people are evil (although the results can be evil). Sadly it means they’re human. I’m sure I do it too sometimes, although I’ve no idea when. That’s what “subconscious” means.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Re: Clinton Foundation

During the election campaign someone gave a good illustration of how this whole ‘pay to play’ thing got distorted.

They gave the example of a Saudi Prince who pledged $20 million through the Foundation. That money was to be used in some education project in KSA.

About a decade later Clinton was on some junket as part of her job as SoS. There was a reception, and amongst the dozens of people there, that prince was one of the attendees. As a diplomat, and presumably just as a normal human, she exchanged a few pleasantries with the prince.

The story was then spun as Clinton using the Foundation as a way of taking money for access.

Of course “Clinton meets Saudi prince after he pays $20m to Foundation” was literally true. But it hardly encapsulates the reality of what happened. Don’t need to explain to folks here the difference between things happening one after the other versus cause and effect.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

I just found out about the Gay Agenda and it’s a thing of beauty. I wish I could afford one of those.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ vicky p

I’m so chuffed for you.

Funnily enough I was just thinking of you today. Farage is in the news again. He seems to be sulking that he’s dropped out of the news. He claimed it’s because government officials have been banned from talking about him.

There was a government minister on the next (unconnected) news story. At the end the newsreader asked if Farage’s claim was true. The minister replied that it wasn’t and the only reason no-one was talking about Farage is that the government is only concerned about important stuff.

numerobis
numerobis

“Clinton meets Saudi prince” to me sounds like “secretary of state does her fucking job.”

If she used her job to get donations to her charity, that’s shady, but surely someone somewhere could have demonstrated that she took money and actually did something untoward?

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

So I managed to make them cut the bigoted shit, and then they apologized and reconsidered why they were saying it. Small victory, I guess. A bunch of progressives became aware of a bigoted bias they had without ever realizing it was kinda bigoted.

Namely, it was about a friend we have in common. She often wears her late father’s old suits. Bit of a laugh about how many people, upon meeting her, think she’s a man. I remarked that it says a lot more about us that we think that, than it says about her, and that’s when the disagreement started, right on this sentence.

I guess what made me angry was that they so strongly disagreed and clung to their rationalizations. I’m glad we fixed that.

… but err, sorry to people who were waiting for my example stuff on this little project. I’d forgotten about this lunch (which took almost the whole day, ’cause we don’t fuck around with lunch) and didn’t get the time to do anything. Now I’m drunk and it’s getting late, so you’ll have to wait until at least tomorrow, sorry.

@ryeash

I’m sorry, I didn’t see your comment. I guess you posted while I was writing mine and I forgot to refresh and check before posting. Well, I don’t think coding would be useful to this, but research and writing are exactly what’s needed.

Does anyone who’s interested in this think they’d do a good job at coordinating the others’ work ? I know I’m kinda starting this shit, so the responsibility should be mine, but I really suck at that. True, I don’t exactly like it when people tell me what to do, but the one thing I dislike even more is to be the one doing it.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@ Alan

I’m pretty chuffed to little NAAFI breaks about it myself, though I’d like to get to the point where I don’t have that thing in my brain any more. The measurements themselves sound pretty little, given that they’re expressed in millimeters, and then you see how much space it takes up in your brain. Which makes you realize just how small the human brain is, and you start wondering how you can live in such a small space.

ETA: And now I’m being evil and thinking that Farage would probably be quite peeved to see that his brain isn’t as big as he thinks it is.

ryeash
ryeash

@Sinkable John

Just figured I’d throw that out there, in case it’d be useful (plus I was hoping for some real-world practice lol). I can do writing, coordinating, even braving the fever swamps if you need folks for that. I’m versatile.

@ryeash

Especially being willing to wade through the swamps is gonna be precious. Done that crap for about 10-11 years now and there’s still only so much I can stomach in a day. (Pretty sure David’s got a depleted uranium coating over his brain shielding him from the hate and stupid. And even he sometimes needs a break.)

Especially since we’ll be looking for specimens of one of the smelliest swamp monsters. But hey, at least it makes it easy to track down.

In other news, I only just discovered that “sometime” and “sometimes” are actually two different words, not one word that people sometimes spell differently for whatever reason. ESL is a beautiful thing. You can learn the most basic things even if you’ve been a bit comfortable with it for dozen years already.

Robert Walker-Smith
Robert Walker-Smith

Family update. We’ve found a board and care home for our older son. The one he’s been at (run by a local agency) is a transitional facility to help transition age youth learn enough self-sufficiency to do well in a B&C with minimal supervision. His SSI payment will cover most of the cost, which is enormously helpful. He’s doing much better these days; we went for a walk Friday afternoon (clear but cold) and he talked more than he has in a while. He complained about an earworm, so we sang “Yellow Submarine” together walking down the street. That was fun.

Some of the reactions we get from the ever-expanding cauldron of mental health professionals we deal with make me suspect that not all parents of mentally ill teenagers are as actively involved in their children’s care as we are; it certainly helps that we have the background and skill set to advocate for and support him. If we were both working full time and had a biokid with his illness/disability, whoo, that would be very bad.

This is a time of transition – in addition to the above, our younger son will be stopping therapy soon. His therapist has seen him for the last ten years (five to fifteen), and believes he’s improved to the point where she cannot justify keeping him as a client. So – good? He has to leave now that he’s become enjoyable to be with.

My own physician, who I’ve seeing since January ’88, is closing his office at the end of the year. I’ll need to get a new doctor. It feels strange. He’s known me since I was on my first husband.

To finish on a high note, my husband and I got to go out to dinner last Wednesday. Good food, pleasant company, very enjoyable. I managed to be and have a good time.

epitome of incomprehensibility

@Sheila Crosby – very good point, that the underprivileged are held to much higher standards than the privileged.

@Victorious Parasol and Robert Walker-Smith – I’m glad health/family situations are more stable.

@Sinkable John – Not that you’d need any help with writing, but I’d be interested to see some ideas/articles.

(I should attempt some rest. Still got two more days of work left before holidays, so I have no idea why I’m up at 2 AM. Anyway.)

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Not that you’d need any help with writing

I do. Right now I’m staring at a blank page with a specific brand of writer’s block and anxiety that I hadn’t had in years – namely, since high school and its fucking essays. I’m really starting to doubt whether it’s a good idea or not.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

So an old friend of mine (who was my teacher in primary school and she’s been close to me and my mother ever since – that school was a pretty tightly knit community) called today to ask me if I’d help another friend (who also worked at that school at that time) talk to her 18 year old son about his drug use (and abuse).

He got busted driving under the influence, so with the current state of French law he can kiss either his license or his drug use goodbye. Enter regularly-scheduled drug tests, a mandatory “civil awareness” course that he’ll have to pay for himself (and it’s ridiculously costly), and a series of other hurdles he’ll have to pass to even have a chance to get his license back someday. And it turns out he smokes worrying amounts even by my standards, and wasn’t well even before that – so I’m assuming he’s using weed just like I do, except he’s got way less control over his use, which is a risk I know far too well.

I… am not too sure what to do. I get why they asked me, of all people. Professional help is out of the question in this country, given how we get “treated”. Personal help is extremely difficult to find because while few people will even listen to you, even fewer will actually understand what’s up. So it makes sense that someone going through something similar and aware of that obstacle course would be suited to give advice to him, but also the people around him.

‘cept I’m not. Only reason I’m the most “qualified” person they could think of is because there’s no one else. I said okay, but I’ll talk to his mother first, so I can know her outlook on it and if there ain’t something she could do (or stop doing) and it’d start helping before I talk to him. That I guess I can do. But talking to the guy himself ? Fuck I don’t know…

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

Is “Cards Against Humanity” a fun present to give someone??????????

Basically, I am assuming that Mammotheers Know All.

Any opinions on the matter gratefully received.

I hate this time of year …

I hope you are all OK. I am (>.<) – if that is the appropriate image for frayed around the edges, that is.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

@Sinkable John, fwiw I think you would be a good person to talk to – no matter you’re not qualified/experienced/”suitable”/etc. and all that – because you’re smart, empathetic and you know where this person is coming from (not perfectly, no doubt, but better than most).

And above all because you will listen. And sometimes what we need and want more than anything is for someone to hear us.

If nothing else, you can offer this kid the chance to be heard, to be seen, to be listened to. And sometimes that is invaluable.

Whatever happens with that, I hope it goes well and I wish you all the best. You’re good people.

kupo
kupo

@opposablethumbs
Cards Against Humanity can be a fun gift, depending on the person. It can be suuuuper problematic, though. Here’s a review that explains why. It can also be really uncomfortable to play with family, so that might be a consideration.

Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Agent of the FemiNest Collective
Redsilkphoenix: Jetpack Vixen, Agent of the FemiNest Collective

@Sinkable John,

A bit of advice on coordinating people on your project: set up something like a Yahoo Groups or Google documents as a central hub for your group. Those can be set to whatever privacy level you need, so the wrong people can’t see your messages. Also having an independent hub is useful for those times the Internet gremlins eat the private emails.

Just a thought. Use / not use as desired.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

kupo, thank you so much for that link. It was exactly the kind of information I needed to decide (not to get it. I’ll get them something else instead 🙂 )

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Yeah, Cards Against Humanity (or as I call it, Punching Down: 4Chan Edition) is very much a love-it-or-hate-it thing. Personally, I tried playing it once, got to the first child rape non-joke and walked the fuck away.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

Sounds very StraightWhiteDude “humour”. I’d heard of the game, seen the name mentioned around a lot, and heard of people making their own modifications. So it sounded like a maybe … but from this it sounds like it would need rather a lot of modifying.

(Kind of like playing “Consequences” but instead of everybody making up their own lines with paper and pencil you pick from pre-written ones :-s )

(We always end up playing charades at some point, and somebody always makes somebody else act out “Where The Green Ants Dream” and “Amarcord” … I expect this year will be no different 🙂 )

Crip Dyke
Crip Dyke

@Ellesar:

Thanks!

I was actually alive when that song came out (and even if I hadn’t been, my mom loved it so it was inevitable that I was exposed to it), but I never knew the lyrics all that well.

I’ve always been partial to Debbie Harry myself, so I was worried that there was some public political decision she’d made (recently? at the time she was in the spotlight?) which would make me cringe.

Soooooo happy to find out that my fear was baseless.

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

I’m very fond of Dixit. It’s sort of a visual, non-4chan version of Cards Against Humanity.

kupo
kupo

Dixit is good. I can confirm.

dlouwe
dlouwe

@Weird Eddie

A bit late but yes! You can listen here: https://clyp.it/pmw0r0un

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I like Fluxx – and there’s some cool varieties out now:

dikdik
dikdik

Has anyone played Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes? Contrary to the name it seems like good clean fun.

kupo
kupo

@dikdik
I haven’t personally played it because it reminds me of my customer support days, but it’s good clean fun for people who enjoy cooperative puzzles.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Lots of replies here! I’m on my tablet so can’t really review them all. Lots of good news up there though. Yay Vicky!

@Sinkable John, eugh, that’s a tough spot to be in. Just remember that you aren’t responsible for his improvement – you’re just trying to help. Don’t let it burden you too much! Otherwise? Empathy is important. Less talking, more listening. Often when someone is overdoing it on a substance (addictive or otherwise) it’s because they’re trying to compensate for an anxiety or something making them hurt. Discovering that, and helping him deal with it, is what I’d be focusing on. Which isn’t easy! (Of course, it could be a more biological problem – there’s no way to know.)

Good luck! You can do it.

@opposeablethumbs, eeeuuuugh, Cards Against Humanity. Asshole-Jokes-In-A-Box. The game basically rewards players for being foul and insulting. There are so many better games out there.

Go to Shut Up & Sit Down – they do youtube video reviews of board games and card games. They’re hilarious and fun to watch, and you get a good idea of what the games are about. Watch some of those and I bet you’ll find something that your family will enjoy!

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

aaand i notice the linked review from Kupo is from SU&SD, and is exactly what I thought it’d say. Another reason to love SU&SD I guess! Those guys are great. Seriously, go watch them, or go to their website through Kupo’s link. They’re G-E-W-D gewwd.

Rhuu
Rhuu

Boardgames??? I love Small World (It’s like risk, but fun!) and the Farming Game (It’s like monopoly, but fun! Still takes hours and hours, but you’re playing against the game, and not other people, and you get to do something every turn, so it’s always fun.), Settlers of Catan obvs, Carcasonne, OH Scattergories! Also headbands, +1 for getting the ridiculously old version of it at a value village or something. Could someone explain what that board is for, haha?

A colleague was just recommending the Sheriff of Nottingham, saying it was a lot of fun to play.

Zombie dice is quick, which is nice.

Texas Zombies is all about telling stories, which I love.

OH Dead of Winter is really good! Watch the youtube video though, it’s a lot to explain. The game plays so well that once you understand, it’s really easy to do. It’s another one where you’re mostly playing against the game, and not people. I prefer not having the betrayer.

Pandemic is fun! Co-op game, playing against the game, trying to save the world!

And I should go back to work. XD

Also, check out Tabletop, it’s pretty fun!

Jaygee
Jaygee

I saw this on Tumblr and thought of Roosh V. I thought I’d share with you. (Let’s hope the link works.)

Is homophobia why Roosh thinks washing his butt is bad?

Rhuu
Rhuu

Also, open thread so… A little while ago, I decided to go to A-Camp, which is the autostraddle camp in the States. It was full of all kinds of LBT+ people, which was wonderful. It was strangely freeing to be in a space where you knew that everyone was there with the intention of doing good, and no one would think less of you for being queer in some way.

I had never been, so I wound up in a cabin with mostly others who also had never been. It was a wonderful experience, and one that I’d like to repeat.

Later, I get an email from one of my cabin-mates mentioning that she’d be in town for a reason. I talked to my room mates, and they were fine with her staying here. I was pretty non-specific on how I knew her, just like I was non-specific on where I was going for this thursday-sunday camp (the States, lololollllll yeah. I told my parents so someone knew where i was.)

So she drove on up, and we had the house ready. I had the air mattress set up downstairs, and said that I could take it, or she could take it, whatever she was comfortable with. She seemed reluctant, and just suggested we share my bed. It’s big enough, and we had already discussed her serious relationship, so I said okay. I figured that maybe she couldn’t sleep by herself, or something?

This is actually a pretty big thing for me, and a boundary I was pushing. I don’t know her that well, and being okay with sleeping near her was big?

Anyway, it was a nice trip. Later on though, she’s texting me a bunch, and I’m enjoying the contact with my international friend. Then it… shifts slightly, and suddenly I’m panicking because she has a girlfriend?? What is happening?

Eventually we talk it out, and I’m all “FUNNY STORY I’m pretty sure I’m ace so…?” and she’s all “darn it!” and we’re like
comment image

but now I’m feeling kind of lost. Like, where the hell do I fit? Do I go to a camp that is defined by the fact that all the ladies there love other ladies? Do I go to any of these spaces? Do I talk about any of this, since it feels like it’s just always going to be academic to me?

Also, maybe if she wasn’t already IN a relationship, something not-serious could have happened because I am so curious damn it!

Then there’s the holidays, and knowing that while some of my relatives are appalled at Trump, they would be far less appalled at say, Pence, because they believe in a lot of the same sort of policies. And how do you discuss that, without just having to hear (again) things like while they don’t believe in any marriage I’d be likely to enter into, they would still go and wish me well. Like that’s… Not homophobic? I guess?

(Asking questions is what I’m going to try to do. Let them explain. Don’t tell them they’re being homophobic, because homophobes know that homophobia is wrong and they’re not bad people, why would you say that??? UGH)

BUT I’m doing well at work, and they have me working overtime on a second project, so I like to think that I’m valuable there. I just found out that my d&d 5e beastmaster ranger character has been overhauled by Wizards of the Coast, and my pseudo dragon companion Wellesley might be able to actually fight???

I’m going to actually spend new years eve with friends for the first time in like, eleven years. Maybe fifteen. Hooray!

So on the balance good, though the world still feels like it’s going to hell in a handbasket. And I’m all WHY A HANDBASKET? Who even specifies which limb holds a basket, are there footbaskets? COME ON.

(wow that is a teal deer, sorry!)