open thread

Friday Night Imaginary Karaoke Party with Weirdly Filtered Pic of Debbie Harry (Open Thread)

Soon turned out to be a pain in the ass

It’s Friday, at least in my part of the space-time continuum, so here’s an open thread for you all. No trolls, MRAs, Trump fans, etc.

And since I’m posting weirdly filtered pics, here’s a weirdly filtered pic of my cats in their kitten days:

And some random ladies having a drink:

RosieLa
RosieLa

I love your kittens! 😀
I want my package. Having something that you’re strongly looking forward to be lost in in the mail is just the pits 🙁
I had my last exam today and I had thought that I’d get to celebrate with said package’s contents… not sure what to do with myself right now.

Abars01
Abars01

Say, it was recently announced that Sonequa Martin-Green (Sasha, The Walking Dead) will play the protagonist of Star Trek: Discovery. You get three guesses as to what the alt-right’s response has been.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

I think I’ve got a bunch of weirdly filtered cat pics somewhere in the depths of my old-recovered-files folder :O

Weirdly filtered cat pics were a hobby of mine in my teenage years.

Sadly the cat on those pics died last year, at age 18. He was the laziest, scarediest, and hairiest cat in my world. He wouldn’t hunt, not because he was lazy, but because he just seemed to lack that instinct. I’ve seen him nap in the middle of a flock of birds happily trotting around the garden. Even the birds knew he was cool.

But the most amazing thing was one night when I was making coffee at maybe 3am, I heard a weird noise from the larder, and when I checked inside to see what was going on, he was just sleeping there. Then a mouse skittered down the shelves and ran to him and hid from me behind his tail while he was giving me the lazy stare. It was the most amazing thing ever.

Well, except for the mice shitting all over the larder, of course.

@RosieLa

If you don’t mind my asking, what’s in the package ? At any rate, I hope you get it quickly.

Snowberry
Snowberry

Wait, what happened to Michelle Yeoh?

Upon checking, it looks like that Martin-Green is the main character, but Yeoh is the captain of *a* ship. It’s not clear if they’re on the same ship. If they are, then this would be the first time where the closest thing to a main character isn’t the captain.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

I need to paint my Bill pendant.

NicolaLuna - epic slut
NicolaLuna - epic slut

I’ve just been to an amazing gig at Wembley arena and moshed for the first time in years. Felt like therapy to be honest.

A little drunk now and super happy. After the last few months have been so rough I really needed this.

dlouwe
dlouwe

@NicolaLuna

That’s awesome! Nothing quite like a mosh gone well – especially when you need to let out some excess energy. I’m a really timid person usually, but somehow I just love the feeling you get when a bunch people gather with the joint purpose of shoving the hell out of each other to loud music.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

(I’ve been laughing at this for the past hour and saw a flimsy excuse to post it, sue me.)

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@SFHC

what is this frooooooooooooom

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

Oh, and!

@dlouwe

dududududude we need to talk about Allegedly Free. Mixing could use some work, but yyou did a good.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I’m glad you’re happy, NicolaLuna.

Been watching Dark Shadows, the original soap opera. I’m in the first time-travel plot. I’m not sure what to think about the costuming. This is a show that aired in the late 60’s, and all of the kissing is closed-mouthed, but the men’s outfits let me see who dresses left and who dresses right. What was going through their minds?

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Does anyone know of a good image hosting/linking site that doesn’t require a login ? Haven’t used one in about a decade :s

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Well shit. I posted in the other open thread because there were no comments in this one and then all of a sudden this one blows up. I hate that 🙁

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

imgur doesn’t require a login.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

@Troubelle

One of Jim Sterling’s LPs. The whole video’s a glorious mess.

Handsome (Punkle Stan) Jack

@SFHC

Omg, I just recently rewatched that. XD

D. D. Webb

My serial novel just got a review titled “Absurdly feminist but otherwise fantastic.” Apparently the feminism cost me a star and a half off the rating. That’s the sort of thing that it seems ought to annoy me, but I just had to laugh.

numerobis
numerobis

I’m going to bed with my kitties, yay! They’re super happy to see me.

I’m not going to bed with my sweetheart. She would have been super happy to see me.

Now I need to figure out how to get myself to Ottawa by 9am Sunday, when Saturday is expected to be a snowstorm followed by an ice storm. Otherwise I’m stuck until Wednesday.

DD Webb: linky?

PaganReader

Dave’s tweet stream has an article about Florida Man breaking into their neighbor’s house to pet their (the neighbor) cat. If the cat in the picture is the one they broke in to pet, I can see why they did. I, personally, don’t think that cat is risk-a-felony-just-to-get-a-pet level cute, but I can see how somebody could. Maybe if they were a really floofy long-hair.

D. D. Webb

@numerobis tiraas.wordpress.com

Fantasy, so if you’re not into that, you probably wouldn’t enjoy it, fair warning. Also rather long, been updating two to three times a week for two years now.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Don’t let the headlines fool you. I looked up the case, and this dude was just breaking into houses, not to pet cats, but to break into houses. He just happened to be petting a cat when caught in one of the homes, by the homeowner, who was asleep in bed at the time when he crept into her bedroom and was noticed by the cat.

The story is super creepy and the dude’s actions are not remotely charming. Deceptive headline is deceptive, and numerous outlets used a similar one.

@Policy of Madness

I thought it did, I’m dumb. Thanks.

Sadly, turns out I don’t actually have that filtered pic anymore, for some reason. I got the original one, and a backup of an old filter I’ve used (probably not the relevant one), but that’s it and this computer doesn’t have the software I used for it.

So here, have some not-weirdly-filtered CAT.

dlouwe
dlouwe

@Troubelle

Thank you! I’m really happy that you like it. I did see your comment in the other thread and replied there, but to save you from having to go find it, I’ll just re-paste it here:

Agree that the recording itself could use some work; I wanted to get your ear on it before putting a ton of time in. I’ll very likely put together a more polished version… eventually. (I’ve got a small queue of my own songs that I keep putting off recording, hah.)

You can shoot me an email to let me know how you want to be credited and so I can send you any future recordings; it’s my username at gmail.com.

RosieLa
RosieLa

@Sinkable John – my day planner for next year (I know that’s more unexciting than you’d hoped for, but I need it).

@SFHC – reminds me of the tanks and the basements at Gagetown (a Canadian army special).

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent + Bard of the New Movement

@dlouwe

Check your inbox, darling!

Hippielady
Hippielady

Finished teaching my last class for the semester. Now I can relax a little.

@RosieLa

more unexciting than you’d hoped for

I wasn’t really hoping for an exciting answer :p and I can see how that’s bad, seeing as next year is in like two weeks…

Hope you get it fast.

ryeash
ryeash

@SFHC

I’m still laughing at that gif. I LIVE for video game glitches. My entire Xbox feed is pics or videos of glitches. My favorite is a Vertibird that crashed right in the middle of a conversation with a guy in Fallout 4. I was in that area with the concert shell where you have to rescue someone from what seems like a cult. Mid-sentence while the leader of the group is talking to me, there’s this huge boom, the screen shakes, the conversation stops, there’s fire and everyone running and screaming and losing HP, I’m running around trying to V.A.T.S. in every direction. I finally realized what happened when I ran into half of a burning Vertibird in the center of the open area. Better yet, when I picked the lock to the room where you find the person you have to rescue, what I found instead was the other half of the burning Vertibird. Fully enclosed in the room. No idea how it got there. Just opened the door to a fiery hunk of metal.

That was before I started playing with the mods, too. My feed is a lot busier now.

authorialAlchemy
authorialAlchemy

The semester is over!! I get to see my dog tomorrow.

I made good art this semester, and a kina shitty zine I manage to be proud of because of the content. I don’t feel adequate as an illustrator yet, but I’ll get there.

I get to play video games with my friend too. I miss him.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

@ryeash My kids used to be thrilled when the horse their character was riding would suddenly rise into the air and then fly into the distance.

ryeash
ryeash

@Fishy Goat

That one’s always fun. I’m teaching myself to make games now, and my most common movement glitch is my character just wandering off the screen like they decided they had something better to do at that moment. I’m guessing it’s the smaller-scale version of that bug.

Croquembouche of patriarchy
Croquembouche of patriarchy

@ Policy of Madness,
Ah, the tight trousers of the 60s.
I must now rewatch the Rutles.

Croquembouche of patriarchy
Croquembouche of patriarchy

Shucks. Wrong link.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

@Croquembouche

Actually the 60’s fashions are fine. But the storyline has taken an unmarked turn into 1795, and it’s the 1795 trousers that are kind of distracting.

I’m not crying about the time travel, because the 1795 plot is way more interesting than the 1967 plot, and the actors are clearly having a ton of fun with it. But whenever one of the male actors is dressed in light-colored pants, I get super distracted. How did this pass the censors?

Croquembouche of patriarchy
Croquembouche of patriarchy

@ PoM,

Adding ‘trousers’ to list of reasons to finally get around to watching Dark Shadows. I need distraction.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

@Croquembouche

Dark Shadows: come for the visible boom mikes and the actors struggling to remember their terrible lines, stay for the bizarre and addictive storylines and the trouser bumps.

I’m thinking I need to get a black cat to match my orange one–that seems to be a thing.

And it’s vay cay shuuuunnnn….

Hey Mammotheers !

Please be merciful. This is literally my first attempt at drawing in five years. File this under the “at least I tried” folder. And no, this is not an accurate depiction of my eyebrows. Just kind of a signature thing. (yes, those are eyebrows)

So, I’ve got a little pet project here. Nothing too big or difficult, but I thought I’d ask y’all if ya wanna contribute, because the subject matter is relevant to what goes on here in more than just one way, as evidenced by the amount of support that goes on between commenters.

Getting sick of the false equivalence being made in the media between fucking nazis and ess-jay-dubyas ? Me too. There’s already been loads written on that, but apparently still not enough. So I wanna add another brick to that wall. It’s gonna be a beautiful wall, a big, beautiful wall.

Erm. Sorry. I get sidetracked easy. ‘nother reason why I kinda need help.

So my angle is empathy and compassion. Those fuckers have worked tirelessly to remove these qualities from themselves and their “alt-right”. Just look at Anglin’s cherry-picking, selective “reporting” of black on white crime. Do you ever see any kind of compassion toward the victim there ? Nah. Smug satisfaction instead, because they think it supports their point. Remember Pox Bay’s “burn de coal” puddle of vomit ? Victim-blaming all the way, little else. Right now I’m staring at Anglin’s take on the failed attack yesterday night in Germany. The one involving a 12 year old boy with a nail bomb. He’s laughing. Literally laughing.

This is my whole point.

These are the people with whom we supposedly have a “difference of opinion”. Like, we’re supposed to debate with them. Fuck. That. Noise.

So yeah, since apparently exposing their rabid racism, raging misogyny, swivel-eyed homophobia and [I can’t think of another adjective, see, this is why I need help, ’cause I can’t engrish] transphobia doesn’t work, I wanna try with another angle.

And I’d be honored to get some help and make this a community work. ’cause that’s exactly the thing : we care about each other and support each other, and cooperate with each other. So it’d be fitting.

It’s gonna involve some wading through the fever swamps, some writing, stuff like that. But hey, if we’re more than one, then we can focus on specific tasks and if you don’t exactly wanna read nazi shit straight from the source, don’t worry, I got your back on this one.

So there we go. Anyone who wants to contribute, you’re welcome and I’ll be honored to take anything you want to add to this. We can work out the details to get in touch here, but there’s no need to post email adresses or the like, because EJ kindly offered a way a few months back.

@EJ

Do you still have that handy junk-shield email adress that you can post anywhere without worrying about a troll finding it ? ’cause now is a pretty good time to use it 🙂

If not, ehh don’t worry, I’ll make one meself.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@guest

YES! DO IT!

@wwth

Repost here? 🙂

Karalora
Karalora

@Sinkable John

So what exactly will we be doing?

@Karalora

Basically writing work : documentation, then the writing itself. Whichever you want, or both. The documentation aspect is not only the fever swamps, by the way.

I’m thinking a collection of examples and commentary for each, but there’s probably other, better ways. Just don’t expect me to think of them in my current extremely tired state – I’ll make a lot more sense tomorrow though. Probably. Hopefully.

The general angle is that we need to refuse, categorically, to give any ground to fascists. It’s not “a matter of opinion”, it’s not equally valid views that need to be settled in a debate. They don’t even want a debate anyway, so there’s no point.

The idea is that their ideology relies on fully denying empathy and compassion, as well as acceptance of anything that differs from their particularly sad view of what the world needs to look like. Pointing out the hate and stupidity hasn’t worked so well so far, because apparently racism and misogyny are now totally okay, y’know, “just different opinions”. But it’s pretty clear that they also hate even the people they favor, as shown by their reaction when those people are harmed by “the others”. Maybe showing that’ll have a different kind of impact.

I won’t lie, I got a sorta selfish reason for this : it doesn’t feel right to sit here on my ass on another continent watching and doing nothing. I got another six months or so before that rogue wave reaches my own shores, so I’d rather start doing something now, if only to prepare. And since the only thing I know how to do is write and wade extensively through the fever swamps, well I might as well do that. Otherwise I’m just gonna feel powerless. But since I ain’t that selfish, I’m sharing it, heh. I know I’m not the only one feeling powerless. I think you do, too, you’ve shown it when you mentioned the “evil you” that wants to just use their own tactics against them.

It’s self-care, really, but in a way that feels a bit more productive. I think we need that right now. Plus there’s momentum : there’s already a huge movement of resistance being built right now. Might as well add something to it, even if it’s only yet another particular take on the situation. It’s not much but it’s still something, doesn’t matter if it’s so small.

Karalora
Karalora

@Sinkable John

I don’t know how good I’d be at that sort of thing. When you have a piece to show, I can look it over and get a better idea of my skill at doing the same thing.

rogue angel
rogue angel

@ Sinkable John:

It sounds like you have a writing-related project in mind. I’m not sure what kind of writing it might be, but it seems interesting.
I’m more of a comedic writer in my spare time, mostly doing song parodies, but I’m fairly versatile. Seconding what Karalora said, though.

Weird (pinko since 1969) Eddie
Weird (pinko since 1969) Eddie

@ Troubelle; @ dlouwe

If I’m reading this correctly, dlouwe recorded Troubelle’s “Allegedly Free”??? Is it public, yootoob or ??? I wanna check this out!!!!

@Karalora, rogue angel

I’m bad at explaining myself, ain’t I* ? See that’s why I doubt I can do this on my own… I just can’t seem to get that whole structure thing. That’s how I failed my studies, by the way. I also get sidetracked pretty far by the smallest things. By now you’ll have noticed that my posts are often much longer than needed.

I’m more of a fiction writer. Articles and essays never were my thing, meh.

I’ll… try to make meself clearer tomorrow, and possibly provide a few examples, after I’ve had some of that much-needed sleep. To be fair I was already extremely tired when I came up with the idea, which means it’s probably either bad or definitely above my intellectual means. As long as it’s not the first one, it shouldn’t be a problem if someone smarter than me (easy : that’s everyone on WHTM) helps :p

I’ll get some sleep, try and organize my thoughts, and come back with something clearer.

ETA : *Case in point.

It sounds like you have a writing-related project in mind.

Yes ! That’s what I’ve been trying to say !

I’m really bad at this.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

Hope you might not mind if I try to pick your brains a moment – does anybody happen to know who/what bodies are (financially/in any other way) behind “Scenarios USA”?

Or just, anything about them?

Many thanks for any info!

Handsome (Punkle Stan) Jack

@Sinkable John

Oooo, I like the face. The facial hair in particular is really nice and, like, the chin that you made without drawing a jawline. I have no idea but I just really, really like that part. (I’m not very good at facial hair myself so maybe that’s why.) And I rather like how expression seems to have a bit of an attitude to it, like, they’re slightly disgruntled, but that may be mostly because of the cigarette and thick eyebrows. (Thick eyebrows A+.) Best part is how the detail of the beard and the more cartoonish look of the mouth, eyes and eyebrows clash–not in a bad way, but in an interesting way that I can’t quite explain.

I like it.

(Also draw more hands.)

Conan the Librarian
Conan the Librarian

@Sinkable John

There’s potential here, but I’d like to raise a couple of issues.

It’s true that these are folks stripped of basic human empathy and decency, even toward those who are supposedly “superior” in their book. Unfortunately, focusing too closely on that ends up erasing all the so-called “inferior” people from our discourse, and if that happens, who will stand up for them?

That of course should not stop us from doing our best to show that the fascists’ promises are empty, that they lead their followers by the nose with lies, and that they use those lies to get power without responsibility, authority without accountability.

Also, let’s not be too quick to concede that “racism and misogyny are now totally okay, y’know, “just different opinions”. They are to some people. But they are not necessarily even the majority, let alone the totality. There is no need to concede that the alt-right, or the Trump regime, speak for “the people”. Even if it sometimes appears that truth counts for nothing and that people generally “don’t care” about bigotry and misogyny, that is just the appearance that the far-right propagandists are doing their best to create. Let us never, ever, EVER mistake that appearance for reality!

dikdik
dikdik

I just found out a good number of white people I know are okay with Trump because he’s not Clinton. They bring up how she was on the wrong side of video games in the 1990s and how the Clinton Foundation is pay for play (a fact I haven’t vetted so have no opinion on). And when I ask how it is that White Supremacy isn’t a deal breaker for them they just say it won’t be that bad. I guess it’s just that easy for evil to win…..

How do you all talk to reasonable* liberals** about Trump?

*I don’t think you can call yourself reasonable if you are okay with White Supremacy
**I don’t think you can call yourself a liberal if you are okay with White Supremacy & anti-abortion & kleptocratic policies

numerobis
numerobis

“Ok with Trump because he’s not Clinton” is a non sequitur. “Not Clinton” does not imply OK!

It’s also an irrelevant comparison. Might as well say Trump is OK because he’s not Atilla the Hun, or Trump is ok because he’s not Zoroaster.

Focus the conversation on Trump, since he’s president-elect now. What is Trump doing that they actually like?

1 2 3