Uncategorized

Open Thread for Personal Stuff, 12/16 Edition

Hug it out

A rather belated Open Thread for Personal Stuff. As always, no trolls, MRAs etc in these threads. Email me if someone starts acting obnoxious.

Glen

As a new follower and someone who just can’t stand mras, thank you for the site. Love your writing.

LeftWingFox
LeftWingFox

Heh, I kinda glurged on the funding thread already. Sorry about that.

But yeah, I just started therapy this week. It was good. Got some of the stories off my chest that I haven’t really shared with anyone. Made one interesting connection I hadn’t considered regarding my social anxiety. Despite pointedly not bringing up depression in my discussion, it became pretty obvious that it’s part of my current issues. We booked a second appointment next week, so We’ll see how things go from here.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

I am in the process of dissecting troll Yor from the Open Letter to Cassie Jay post. I’ll link it when it’s finished. The last full troll dissection I did was 6000+ words. I’m going to talk about how people try to redirect attention in a fight.

rogue angel
rogue angel

@ LeftWingFox: I hope your therapy helps. *hugs, if you want them*

@ Brony: that sounds interesting. I’ve never heard of anyone dissecting trolling before. Do you plan on posting it–or a link to it–here?

Got my annual review at work, about a month and a half late–but still. My pay went up by nearly forty cents, and (in spite of some anger issues I’ve had this year) the managers said in writing that I was “a pleasure to work with”. They even put the quality of my work in the “exceeds expectations” category.

I’ve also been looking at going back to my local community college. I took a few lower-level courses there, but it turned out I wasn’t passionate about the possible major I’d have been working towards (through the transfer-degree program). I also had personal problems at the time. Now it looks like a global-studies thing could lead to a job I’d rather have, one that better matches my interests, so…yeah. One step at a time, though.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

I had a gum graft last week, and it seems (knock wood) to be healing properly.

I also (finally) have an appointment to turn in my cheating VW.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Shortly after I wrote about how everything sucked in the last thread, I hit bottom and now I feel better. Such is the way of bipolar. I still don’t feel great and I don’t enjoy having emotions, but I’m not crying at every stupid little thing anymore and I no longer feel like my life is over.

I passed a milestone at work today and leveled up, which genuinely made me happy for like an hour. Progress!

The Last Unicorn
The Last Unicorn

I don’t talk on WHTM often, mostly because I feel like a doofus. I want to join discussions more, though. The community here is so kind to one another, supportive, and overall mature… I don’t see that often, honestly.

Well, I’d like to say that I got an acceptance letter from my dream college today. I’m a bit apprehensive, but overall excited and happy and even a little proud of myself. Now I’m just hoping I’ll be able to attend. Money is an issue. Father figure is an issue. Ugh.

Nequam
Nequam

Kept fighting thoughts that the only way to achieve peace on earth would be to kill off about 90% of the human population. :/

More… well, I said “trivially” but I should have said “pleasingly”, the holiday cards (Christmas-themed in their way, but I have friends and family who are pagan/Jewish/nonreligious) that I sent out last week were well-received, which is something. (Short description of cards: I set this poem in this font. Who knew Baudelaire and Christmas could work together so well?)

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

Last open thread I said that my seasonal depression wasn’t acting up yet and that it usually occurs a bit later in the season. Then we had a couple weeks of unrelenting gloom and now we’re in a deep freeze and that shit hit me hard. I’ve been so exhausted all week that I think I’m going to have to call in sick tomorrow although I’ll play that my ear. I already feel crappy because of my cold and my mood and pretty much cannot bear the thought of trudging out to the bus stop in -30f windchill.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

@rogue angel
That’s what I call my attempts to analyze social conflict in internet comments. I like to argue and it’s creatively cathartic for someone with social language pattern sensitivities. It’s also technically a move in a fight as criticism since Yor basically had it coming to them. They were, all feeling and no object. All insulting characterization and nothing one could connect name-calling to. A morally satisfying mock for me.

I hope you get to work with things you love in global studies.

LeftWingFox
LeftWingFox

*Hugs back to everyone*

(Todays hugs brought to you by Thornbury Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand.)

LeftWingFox
LeftWingFox

numerobis
numerobis

We celebrated Christmas last night in the family because I’m taking off to see my sweetheart in the frozen north on Friday.

(A) Oh my god I’m going to end up an icicle like in two lovers and a bear!

(B) My parents gave my sister and I the best Christmas gifts EVAH. Bureaucratic proof I dropped out of kindergarten in Edmonton. An unopened birthday card from my grade one crush (I don’t recall even having this crush!) — popout Care Bears! My sister got her Gingerbread pony. I got lots of multi-sided dice. And the best of the best: we each got a USB key with pictures of our artwork.

Seriously parents, send your 30-something kids pictures of their childhood artwork.

LeftWingFox
LeftWingFox

numerobis: Aww! That’s adorable. 🙂 (Wait if you went to school in Edmonton, where if your sweetheart located that you consider it the Frozen North?!)

Mary M

My 2nd most beloved artist (David Bowie is first) is J.G. Thirlwell. I love him so much I think I’m going to send him a Christmas card and tell him that I adore his work.

His music from the 80’s is intense. On his album NAIL there’s a piece that literally spells out the worst of the misogyny that’s pouring out of the woodwork now called D.E.S.T.R.O.Y. (all girls). It is hair-raising, in the voice of PIGSWILL (I’m using upper case as it appears on the lyric sheet that came with the record).

The chorus goes:

There’ll be a HOT TIME in the old town tonight
BLOODY SKIRTS A-FLAPPIN ON THE FLAG POLE TONIGHT
DESTROY…DESTROY…

He called his style “negative positivism” but it was his own definition, I think, nothing to do with the legal version.

I’ve been sheltered and only recently started reading about MRA’s, MGTOW’s, PUA’s, ALT-RIGHT etc. When I first encountered some of the astonishing rage on one of the Reddit forums I thought Oh God, it’s like PIGSWILL has come to life and is riding into town.

Thanks so much for your blog! I enjoy your writing very much. I’ll donate for sure at the next telethon.

numerobis
numerobis

Iqaluit! Technically not above the arctic circle.

I mentioned the high in montreal might not pass -15 tomorrow; she replied that -15 sounds outright warm. And it’s been a record warm autumn so far up there.

I didn’t go to school in Edmonton: I dropped out before school even started. But in day care, reportedly they’d keep us indoors if it was below -35. Which by implication means they’d bundle us up and pitch us into the yard if it was a balmy -30. So I’ve been exposed to that weather, but not much in recent years.

NiOg, Adorator Culorum Actus Lesbiis
NiOg, Adorator Culorum Actus Lesbiis

Hey, all. NiOg reporting in.

I have some good news to share: after being out of work for more than a year, I got hired today! First day is tomorrow and it’s not the mostest wonderfullest paying job in the world, but I am cautiously optimistic. It’s in my industry! I know a lot of people there! It’s an easy commute! It’s work I can do! The hours are good!

(tw: suicide mention further down)

Being unemployed has been terrifying. I was already struggling with depression, and watching my savings slowly dwindle to nothing, being supported by my surviving parent until I exhausted her savings and she said she couldn’t help anymore, selling my things and taking odd jobs and day labor to scrape by has not… been… great. For a while I was pretty certain I wasn’t going to live out the winter. Suicide was looking like a better option, because at least then I wouldn’t be taking anyone down with me, you know?

I know a lot of people were tweeting it as a joke, but I really did hang on through the election entirely out of spite. I was very lucky in that I had some friends who let me sort of cling to them even through my low spots and have someone to talk to. I was surely miserable company, but they kept me from giving up.

And then there was you guys: a tiny island of good in a sea of endless awfulness. I rarely post, but I read WHTM’s comment section almost every day, just to remind myself that there are good peeps in the world. So, thanks for being here you guys. I persist, in part, because of this website.

So, new job. Less financial anxiety. Life up at a very exciting 40% non-terrible quotient. Hurray!

Cynical Optimist
Cynical Optimist

@NiOg

Good to hear you’re doing better.

More generally, thanks to everyone here for expanding my knowledge of the topics covered in this blog. I don’t think I would be nearly as invested in these issues if I hadn’t found this place.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Hello all!

I am still going to vocational school and I am kind of terrible at the thing that I am learning to do, but I’m also glad that I’m sticking with it and slowly improving, instead of following one of my usual two courses of 1) immediately excelling at something or 2) quitting the moment it gets hard. I’m also unmedicated, which I feel like is probably not helping.

Boyfriend and I brought home a ring the first week of October and he has yet to give it to me and I wannnnnnts it. Mine. Gimme.

LeftWingFox
LeftWingFox

numerobis: Yep, that’ll do it. Hope you two manage to keep each other warm. 🙂

I grew up in Edmonton, 1980-1997. I joked that the city schools wouldn’t close for anything less than a direct nuclear strike*. It was the height of irony that the movie “Snow Day” was shot in Edmonton, a city that doesn’t do “Snow Days”.

*rural kids were often excused during extremely cold days, since standing in an exposed field for any length of time waiting for the school bus was inhumane. City kids went to school no matter what.

@NiOG: Hugs to you too. Been there. Glad to hear you got a new job. 🙂

hippielady
hippielady

@The Last Unicorn

Congratulations! I won’t say good luck, I’ll say be persistent because that will get you a lot further than luck.

As for myself, I finally got my professional counselors license. Woo hoo! Now I can hang out my own shingle.

Karalora
Karalora

I could definitely use some bucking up. I’ve been leaving bits of my gloom ‘n’ doom in other recent threads, but I don’t expect anyone to go hunting for it.

Basically, The Problem facing us as liberals in America (and all over the world, really) seems insurmountable to me. It’s not just that Hate is making strides; it’s that the strides they are making can potentially cripple Love forever. Any strategy we could use against Der Pumpkinfuhrer (except one, about which more in a bit) requires the machinery of a functioning democracy, and I have a hard time believing the Republicans will allow us to keep one. Why should they? They have everything, starting with an incoming administration that just gives one middle finger after another to the Constitution, the standards of our national government, and basic human decency. They have proven time and time again that all they really care about is their own power. If they can fix it so that they don’t need votes to stay in control, they will.

As for that one exception – physical violence – as soon as we resort to it, we become no better than Team Hate… and I’m not sure I care anymore. As I put it to an Australian friend, if the only way we can fight back is by becoming as evil as they are, at least it will be our evil, and not theirs, that wins.

I can feel myself turning into something twisted and ugly as a result of all this, and I hate hate hate it, but it seems like the only alternative is to lie down and die.

Headologist
Headologist

I don’t normally comment in these, because I’m not around that much, but:

I finally finished my degree this week.

I may have to save up for a few years to do another one before saving up for further study,depending on which grading system is used and if they take my (many) extenuating circumstances into account. And knowing the University, they may pull what they pulled last time, move the goalposts again and find more hoops for me to jump through. But for now, I have done everything I possibly can think of, handed in my last exam, and hopefully in a few months I’ll have the undergrad I’ve been fighting for for the past 6 and a half years.

So I guess the moral of the story is you can defeat bureaucracy, incompetence and money-grabbing boards of directors; you just have to send a lot of angry emails and be prepared to do a couple years extra work XP
And I fucking did it.

Karalora
Karalora

Congrats, Headologist! (Love your ‘nym!)

Kat
Kat

@Hippodameia

I also (finally) have an appointment to turn in my cheating VW.

Kate McKinnon played German chancellor Angela Merkel on SNL last weekend:

“It’s been a real Volkswagen of a year.”

*********

I’m happy to hear about Mammotheers’ successes.

To those Mammotheers experiencing significant challenges, hang in there!

We’re gonna Take on Trump and win! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Aunt Podger
Aunt Podger

Really ridiculous personal anecdote with ZERO point: I pan-fried fish for lunch yesterday, and shared a bit with my cat. I finally convinced her today that I am not going to make her more fish (at least until she stops pestering me). She has now stalked over to the stove (cooker, in the U.K.) and is alternating between giving it a hard stare and her “pretty, plaintive” mioauw, and glancing at me to make sure she sees that I am seeing her ask the stove so nicely to make her delicious fish treats.

rogue angel
rogue angel

@ Karalora: I’m in much the same boat, actually. (Trans + queer + non-religious = persona non grata in Trump’s America.) The notion that the bigots might not only win but hang on to that victory for the long haul actually makes me more determined. (“Don’t let the bastards win!”) As for whether or not said bigots would destroy everyone who doesn’t agree with them…well, I don’t see that happening unless nuclear bombs start flying, and that’d jeopardize the entire human race (bigots and non-bigots alike).

I don’t believe that the global far-right/fascist movement we’re facing is going to keep its power forever. I look at (what I understand of) recent history for this. Russia had a Soviet Union for roughly seventy years, Germany had the Nazis for not even fifteen years, and even the former East Germany hung on for roughly forty-five years (from 1945 to about 1990 or so–I’m fuzzy on that part). Then I think of various overthrown, murdered, or otherwise-now-dead dictators in the last several decades whose regimes at least seemed to go when they did. Mussolini, Franco, Milosevic, Gadhaffi, and possibly even Mubarak come to mind. Overall, I figure every regime, dynasty, empire, or movement has its time and ends eventually. It’s cold comfort, but I’ll take it if I can. Your mileage may vary, though.

I also don’t see it so much as one abstract force attempting to wipe out its opposite, as some powerful people scrambling for what they can get their hands on for all-too-human reasons. Do they have way too much power and money and too little connection to (or empathy for) the rest of humanity? I’d say yes. I’d also say, however, that their endless lust for money, power, and status makes them as pathetic and flawed as anyone else we typically mock on this site. For all their brutality, they’ll never rise above being human–something I find helpful to keep in mind.
I have mixed feelings about violent versus non-violent attempts to overthrow–for example–our President-elect. I don’t support violence myself, but other people might, and I don’t feel I have the right to tell other people what to do. On the other hand, I have a lot of skin in the game (as I mentioned above) and I may end up in a situation where I have to survive any way I can. Overthrowing a leader, however? I’d say that’s above my pay grade.

Maybe all this could give you some comfort, hope, or even grim determination to get through a day at a time. My brand of cold comfort, however, might not be helpful for you. I just figured you’d had enough of bland clichés and platitudes.
I’m still working things out for myself, though. I don’t have all the answers–far from it–and I’m at least as terrified as anyone else.

rogue angel
rogue angel

@ Aunt Podger: “just kitty things”, I suppose. That’s cute. 🙂

Seconding the congratulations for Headologist. *applause*

Snowberry
Snowberry

However many
demagogue haters may win
middle finger them.

gijoel
gijoel

Theme music to go with the picture of cat’s hugging.

dr. ej
dr. ej

Hello all,
I’m still here, buried under a stack of marking for one of the courses I’ve been teaching. I have to get it all done by next week since I am headed back to America. I handed in my final thesis yesterday, so I am officially done with my degree, which means I can’t stay here unless I find a job. I’ve been putting in applications, but no luck yet.

Kevin
Kevin

Nil illegitimati carborundum totus populi Mammoth. Please excuse my awful dog – Latin. The sentiment is heartfelt.

The Last Unicorn
The Last Unicorn

Thanks, Hippielady.

And, congratulations! I’m going to college to hopefully end up with the same thing.

dr. ej
dr. ej

Also, I forgot to mention that I got some manosphere repellent last week in the form of a tattoo (my first). I now have Rosalind Franklin’s X-ray image of DNA on my ankle. It’s all dot work and I love it. If you’re interested, here’s a video about Rosalind Franklin and why she is amazing, even though she doesn’t get the credit she deserves.

RosieLa
RosieLa

I got a new tattoo last Saturday. It’s entering the itchy phase of healing.
I have one more exam: tomorrow.

If anyone knows how to get UPS to release a package that’s sitting in their warehouse… I’d like my package.

Fred_the_dog
Fred_the_dog

At the end of this coming January, I am officially eligible for full retirement at my job (which makes me entitled to my full pension)…

dr. ej
dr. ej

@RosieLa
Mine is about a week old now and it’s just starting to peel. I just have to keep reminding myself not to pick at it.

RosieLa
RosieLa

@dr. ej Mine isn’t even scabbed over yet, except in certain sections? It’s weird. It should be scabby by now.
I’m looking forward to the peeling, mostly because I somehow always forget how much of a chore aftercare is, for me.

dreemr
dreemr

I am so heartened to hear of the positive changes going on in many lives here on this thread. New jobs, positive reviews, raises, persevering in a challenging field of study, simply refraining from actively wishing harm on others (sometimes that’s the best we can manage) – it’s a pretty optimistic thread for the depths of the cold dark winter here in the northern hemisphere.

@Kalalora – I’m with rogue angel. I get pretty down, too, but after the first week or two I no longer feel its hopeless. Hard, painful, all of it, yes. But not forever. I don’t know what’s going to happen but I know I can’t live with unrelenting worry and hopelessness.

I take good signs wherever I can find them – I am far more able and likely to speak up now and engage with my Trumpist-leaning friends and co-workers. Scildfreya as always has set what I use as a personal example to reach out to others with compassion and humanity during a discussion (argument), to emphasize what we have in common rather than distancing myself by mocking and shutting down. (NOT saying this works for everyone, just that it has been useful with people I know who are still open to other opinions). I feel like I’m having a tiny impact on some.

In other news: after having my anxiety and depression medication altered a few months ago, I feel it is working at maximum benefit for me. No panic attacks in the middle of the night. Despite the blow the election dealt, I am slowly coming out of it and even able to watch the national news for a few minutes (I never did watch the news much but I like tuning in to the local news for the weather forecast – after the election I was afraid to even have the television on for fear of seeing anything about the election).

My new furnace was finally installed, so I’m grateful for that. I haven’t paid for it yet but the installer said he’d work with me on payments, and my boss is giving me a holiday bonus that will also help pay for it. I’m pretty healthy, my son is doing reasonably well and seems happy. My parents are both dead so they don’t loom over the holidays anymore.

My sister is still missing and homeless in Seattle somewhere as she has been for the past 2 years. Meth, sigh. My brother (for whom I do not care nearly as much as for my siter) is at least in a warmer state, but also…Meth. Might be in jail, not sure. So, it’s not all roses, but it’s okay.

PreuxFox
PreuxFox

(CW: parasites)

Our cat started leaking tapeworm segments over the weekend.

It was…not great. Petco only had a homeopathic treatment that shockingly did not work. We finally got a real de-wormer at Petsmart (hot tip for any of y’all who have to deal with a similar issue, Petsmart had a lot more good OTC medication and also sold pillers and other stuff) and I am pretty sure she is fine now because…she left what looked like a tapeworm head on top of my wallet. Thanks cat.

Falconer
Falconer

Hugs for everyone!

I gotta admit: I spend some time struggling, and then I distract myself and feel better, and then I feel guilty for distracting myself.

I can’t do anything about Aleppo except give a tiny bit of money to a charity, so I do that and forget about Aleppo for a while.

I can’t do anything about global warming, so I avoid news articles about the extent of Arctic ice this winter, and thawing Antarctica, and then I feel guilty about ducking reality and avoiding responsibilities.

Beloved tells me that, in the comments to a thread over on Slacktivist, someone linked to an Internet Tough Person who was giving us red state liberals six months to move out of red states, or they’d consider us to be Republicans and wouldn’t make a distinction when they invade and start shooting all the red staters.

My mom’s over 70 and my dad’s pushing 70, so there’s that to worry about, especially if Medicare is on the chopping block.

So I read this site, Wonkette, Daily Kos, Crooks & Liars, and when it gets to be too much I fire up New Vegas and shoot things and take their stuff.

Mostly I’ve just felt sad for years. It’s kind of a ground state.

dreemr
dreemr

@PreuxFox – poor kitty! Careful with that litter box! Glad she’s feeling better.

To everyone: I’ve never been much of a hugger, but I am getting better at it. I’m even told that I give great hugs (one of the benefits of being a fat gray-haired person?) so internet hugs to those that want them, and a nod of commiseration to those that don’t.

Karalora
Karalora

See, I read that, and my first reaction is “That’s hideous,” but right behind it is another voice going “Yes, that’s what we have to do – raze the red states, massacre everyone who brought this monstrosity upon us, because love and empathy and reaching across the aisle and patience do not work. Sure, we would become horrific villains, but by all the gods we would be the most egalitarian, environmentally responsible horrific villains imaginable.” And see? See how much more eloquent that second voice is?

dreemr
dreemr

Well in that case what’s the point of even having ideals or principles?

My inner voice is sneakier, making sure to keep blood off my own hands – my secret voice says, “Hey, maybe one of his rabid supporters will assassinate him when they realize he’s not on their side”.

Karalora
Karalora

Well in that case what’s the point of even having ideals or principles?

I dunno…why not ask a Republican?

dreemr
dreemr

why not ask a Republican?

Because it’s not a Republican making those statements? You aren’t required to justify anything to me. I think we both know that a bloody liberal uprising isn’t going to happen in our lifetimes. What’s the point of being liberal and promoting respect and humanity for all if we’re willing to throw that away in order to meet our end goals?

Rhetorical question.

Falconer
Falconer

We can oppose Trump, we can oppose our internal fascism, we can hate them, without becoming like them.

Reductivist thinking, action for action’s sake, ingroup-outgroup, redemptive violence: These are the ways of the dark side.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

OKAY SO

Good Things are happening in my life, so pardon me if I gush a little.

– I’m actually making headway in Borderlands 2, despite the fact that I’m having a bit of a hard time with some of the missions. I’m on Chapter 10 in the story, so I’m excited to see that I’ve gotten that far.

– I recently got an (unpaid) internship with a local community place for graphic design work, and it was made clear to me that they really want me to get paid work through my work for them (because it makes them look good, but I’ll take it).

– My mom sent me fifty bucks for Christmas.

– When I called to thank my mom for sending me the card, she also told me that my Bio Father is now paying his back child support, and she’s gotten three consecutive checks 275 dollars each.

This is a huge deal, considering he’s one, never sent consecutive checks (there would be years between them if we got them), and two, it was always for pocket change (we once got a check for a dollar). So, my mom is using that money for her living expenses right now (and I’m okay with this), and after she gets married (the wedding has been moved to New Years’, so the man my mom’s marrying can help with the planning) she’ll send me the new card for it and I can use it to pay my bills and such. So, hopefully that’ll happen and Bio Father will keep up with the payments on his owed support (mom said he’s like 80K in the hole from what she understands).

– I’ve gotten back into crafting, after years of not having the space, the motivation, the energy, the materials, or some combination of those. I’m being actively encouraged by my roommates, and I even bought a small desk off of them once they upgraded their workspace that I now use as my craft desk. I’ve also been able to find some good crafting materials here and there.

I’m working on a Pokemon Room in a Box, but it’s going to be Ghost-Type instead of just generic Pokemon. (I also added a panel to my room, so I’ll have another wall.)

I’ve got the box set up, and I’m working on the desk now. I kinda flubbed it though, so I’ll have to remake it.

The desk is the right width, and it’s super sturdy, but it’s just a teeny bit too short for what I want. My doll’s legs barely fit under it, so I’m going to add some height, and add a little pull-out keyboard drawer. (and yes, I am planning on making it so it can move. I have an idea of how to make this work.)

I also made a tiny little paper box that stores fabric and paper pads as well, if you look close. 😀

Also, bonus picture of Frankie riding a skateboard.

Falconer
Falconer

That’s great news, PI!

dreemr
dreemr

@Paradoxical Intention – as an artist myself I love when people are encouraged to pursue art and crafts. Your desk is adorable and I’m sure you can make it work the way you want. Very happy for you.

I hadn’t made much art since my son was born (what with being busy earning a living and raising a child on my own in a new state and whatnot) but now that I’m more settled I am drawing a lot more, almost every evening as I listen to music. Nothing calms me as much as getting into the zone working on a project, so I love to see others doing the same.

(Glad for the news on everything else as well just that the art stuff really sticks out for me).

ETA: Just saw that linked video for the Room in a Box and omg how cute!! I have always loved miniatures and dioramas of all kinds and that looks like something fun and not too difficult or expensive to make, now to see which of my son’s action figures I can make it for…

1 2 3