"ethics" hillary clinton men who should not ever be president ever trump

It’s official: Vladimir Putin stole the US election. Now what do we do?

The 4th quarter 2016 We’ve Got a Bigger Problem Now WHTM pledge drive continues! If you appreciate the blog, please donate what you can! THANKS!

I guess some congratulations are in order for one Vladimir Putin, the Russian kleptocrat who used strategic leaks of hacked information to win the election (or at least the electoral college) for Donald Trump, a thin-skinned narcissist and easily manipulable geopolitical naif.

I mean, we knew that before. But now it’s pretty much official.

The Washington Post reports:

The CIA has concluded in a secret assessment that Russia intervened in the 2016 election to help Donald Trump win the presidency, rather than just to undermine confidence in the U.S. electoral system, according to officials briefed on the matter.

Intelligence agencies have identified individuals with connections to the Russian government who provided WikiLeaks with thousands of hacked emails from the Democratic National Committee and others, including Hillary Clinton’s campaign chairman, according to U.S. officials. Those officials described the individuals as actors known to the intelligence community and part of a wider Russian operation to boost Trump and hurt Clinton’s chances.

“It is the assessment of the intelligence community that Russia’s goal here was to favor one candidate over the other, to help Trump get elected,” said a senior U.S. official briefed on an intelligence presentation made to U.S. senators. “That’s the consensus view.”

Yep, that’s right. The outcome of our election was essentially determined by a hostile foreign power — with the active encouragement of Donald Trump, the candidate who benefited from Russia’s interference.

It’s also now clear just how selective Russia’s use of hacked information was. The New York Times reports that the Russians also successfully hacked the Republican National Committee’s email servers, but chose not to release any of these emails.

No wonder Trump is skipping most of his intelligence briefings.

Some people are comparing these revelations to Watergate. I don’t think that’s fair. This is ten times more significant than Watergate. It calls the whole election into question.

Trump is not our President. And he should not be sworn into office unless and until we have a full public reckoning of how exactly he “won” this election.

Thomas Beckett
Thomas Beckett

The Mrriage of Figaro is a tour-de-force of antifeminist Russian propaganda as well.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

And lo! He spelt a saint’s name wrong.

Book of B.S.- 1:1

For Yor hath changeth names!

Book of B.S.- 1:2

Gipsz Jakab
Gipsz Jakab

@Ouroboros:

ED is utter garbage. It’s only satire in the way that bigots and edgelords try to use satire as an excuse for their shitty behaviour.

Kat
Kat

@Podkayne

And the lady who drives my bus is black and from Richmond, CA, so I’m reasonably goddamn sure she did not vote for Donald Trump.

Sounds like you’re from the Bay Area. Me too.

Valentine
Valentine

@mish

You made it much clearer than i could! Yeah basically that’s what i was trying to say that it’s kind of tipping the balance in the extreme direction without so much good reason to. I was just concerned because ‘its the sneaky russians!’ Is such a cliché i don’t want people to jump to conclusions to much.

I’m glad you liked the article:)))) here is one more. https://www.emptywheel.net/2016/12/10/evidence-prove-russian-hack/

booburry
booburry

I’ll second that ED is utter trash.

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

The tragedy is that ED wasn’t always evil. It was set up as a place to document Livejournal drama and snark at it, and it did this until the shitlords took over.

I believe the original team behind ED moved on to set up Oh Internet, and then Know Your Meme.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@Valentine,

Yay, another link! Early Xmas 🙂

Hey, that Empty Wheel is a great site. Serious thanks – I wasn’t aware of it until now.

I’m also glad to know that I understood your original comment correctly – and I agree with your concerns. Many moons ago I was involved with the local chapter of the International Socialists, where the opposite problem would arise: extreme reluctance to criticise Russia (or USSR).

It can be difficult to step out of these ideological parameters when thinking about Russia, perhaps especially for outsiders?

booburry
booburry

Yea, I remember ED being slightly amusing back in the day. Although, they were never shy about calling women sluts, bitches, or attention wh*res even way back then. Whoever runs things now is definitely in edgelord territory. I think they were team GG when Gamergate kicked off.

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy

@EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

I’ve also heard these mythical accounts that 4chan used to be a much better place. Where trolls were genuinely just trolls. People having a laugh. And where heinous people used to be brought to justice by some of those same kind-hearted scamps. It all seems a bit far-fetched to me, given the sewer that it currently is and the worse sewers it spawned. But then again, my early memories of 4chan are a bit hazy. Never lurked there much. I wonder if banned@4chan could verify any of this?

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Somewhat interesting news story here today.

Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Löfven was the target of an alt-right style fake news campaign earlier this year, centered around the claim that Löfven had been wearing a wrist watch worth 275 000 SEK ($30 000). It turned out to be a gift Löfven received from a US workers union (I think?), in actuality worth around 700 SEK ($75).

Since the fake news sites continued spreading the lie that the PM was wearing an extremely expensive watch, Löfven has now decided to auction it out. He said:

Some people still insist that my watch is worth 275 000. This is a huge opportunity for them! They might be able to buy it for 200 000, or even less.

The money will go to charity, specifically to a project dedicated to building schools in war-torn countries.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Props for Stefan Löfven.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I’m genuinely confused as to why Chaucer troll keeps coming back. He doesn’t even really interact with us in any real way. His brand of lulz trolling could be done anywhere. Why is b it so important to come here that he changes IP addresses to do it? Seems like a waste of time.

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy

They think white, male and ”normal” people are the only ones that matter.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

And now Trump is expected to nominate ExxonMobil CEO and Putin buddy Rex Tillerson for Secretary of State. Does anyone else feel like we’re living in the Manchurian Candidate? Only Raymond Shaw didn’t stop it this time.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

The Trump Administration, brought to you by Goldman Sachs.

Those ED guys are all “everyone was on our side!” when it was actually 18%. They’ve swallowed the “economic anxiety” line about the election and are basically saying “you guys in your ivory towers need to respect the common workin’ mans!” with that. A.K.A. every Republican / Conservative argument ever, basically.

(How’s that workin-mans argument going for you now that Trump’s bringing in every corporate bigwig in town into his administration, guys?~)

They keep on saying that we Liberals live in ivory towers, and they keep defeating themselves by doing it. They keep forgetting that average people in America are more progressive and liberal than the government line. Despite this election, that hasn’t changed. We aren’t the ones in ivory towers, disconnected from the common person. Poor and working-class people are more progressive. The poor know hardship better than any, and we don’t want others to live through it as well. That’s what being a Progressive is.

(@Karalora, you previously worried that love wouldn’t eventually win, because of how rampant hate seems. I can’t tell you what you’re seeing, and wouldn’t want to, but I’ll just say this – hate is loud and angry. Love is quiet and gentle. Hate demands your attention, love’s willing to wait. Only 18% voted for Trump, and I’m willing to bet a large number of them weren’t enthusiastic about it. Don’t immerse yourself in that hate too long. Take breaks when you can!)

Bill Stickers
Bill Stickers

I also remember a time when 4chan and ED seemed just… silly. Not dangerous at all, clearly just teasing/ venting/ experimenting/ trying to get a rise out of people. I also remember when Anonymous fought for justice (Steubenville) and WikiLeaks for truth.

Increasingly, I wonder if I was ever right. Maybe it was always like this.

kupo
kupo

@Bill
It was always like this. At the same time anonymous was fighting for justice with Stubenville it was doing mean-spirited ops. My source on this is Our Weirdness is Free by Gabriella Coleman, but it’s been a couple of years since I read it and I’m at work now, so I’ll try to get to it tonight to get a more specific example for you.

numerobis
numerobis

Not a lot of coal miners in Chicago

Coal is big business in Illinois: http://isgs.illinois.edu/ilmines

Even in Chicagoland according to that map, though I’m not aware of any active mines.

dlouwe
dlouwe

@Bill Stickers

For as far back as I can remember, 4chan (/b/ specifically) has always been something of the internet’s refuse trough – the lowest common denominator – and they revel in it. I don’t think it’s always been quite so virulent and hyper-focused about it (/pol/ has only been around since 2011), but they’ve pretty much always featured a lot of slurs and bigotry and casual mentions that people should kill themselves. My gut instinct is to think “Yeah it wasn’t always so bad” because I wasn’t as socially aware a decade ago, so I didn’t think it was so bad at the time (I mostly just saw them as rejects from SA). But stopping to think of what I actually witnessed at the time, yeah, it was always super awful.

Gipsz Jakab
Gipsz Jakab

There’s also the issue with Anonymous that it’s an amorphous mass rather than a cohesive group. It’s difficult to pin down their aims and disposition, because completely different people may be working towards completely different goals under the same moniker.

As for how 4chan used to be… I suspect that some of the nastiness has always been there, except perhaps not quite as prominent and widespread as it is now. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the shitlords drove out most of the halfway decent people over time.

kupo
kupo

Also, can someone please explain how trolling “just to get a rise out of people” is harmless? Not trying to call you out specifically, Bill Stickers; it’s a sentiment I see expressed a lot and I fail to see how antagonizing people “for the lulz” is somehow harmless. It’s like calling bullying harmless, IMHO.

Gipsz Jakab
Gipsz Jakab

@kupo

I guess it’s along the lines of deliberately saying dumb, nonsensical, or exasperating things to annoy people, versus openly attacking them. Possible examples:

Trolling as harmless, if dumb joke: going onto a Star Trek forum and praising Star Wars to the high heavens instead.

Trolling as vile bullshit: doxxing or SWATting people.

kupo
kupo

@Gipsz Jakab
When the result is to actually upset people, it’s never harmless. If you go into a Star Trek site and praise Star Wars I’d agree that it’s harmless but I also don’t see it as trolling. Trolling, in my experience, has the intention of making people angry, hurt, or upset, which is a form of violence (emotional harm is a violence).

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

@kupo & Gipsz Jakab

Admittedly I’m young enough that I can only speak for the last 12 years or so, but I remember a time when a troll was just that, the goofy harmless one who just comes in to fool around, being at worst a bit annoying (that was the great majority). Wasn’t much overlap between bullies and trolls either, in my limited experience.

And then you had the truly great ones. The ones that actually provided something. But they were pretty rare. Still, that’s how I met one of my best friends !

But that era’s over.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I think tolerance of the “harmless” troll made trolling seem like it was an inevitable and natural part of online culture and wound up providing cover for those who were out to harm people. Sort of like how rape jokes and objectification are a part of rape culture and provide cover for rapists. Trolling should have been nipped in the bud right away.

angry feminist
angry feminist

Upon proof-reading this I decided I should preemptively apologize for the ensuing rant-ishness haha:

While the alleged (forgive me if after the Bush years I take unnamed CIA sources with an enormous grain of salt) interference in our election is obviously an enormous problem, we can’t forget that Clinton was massively flawed. I think people tend to look over that point (idk about here I’m not in the comments much) and wholly blame her loss on the FBI director, Russia, and angry racists. These factors obviously had a hand in her loosing, but had she been more cognizant of/cared about reaching out to those who were angry because of lost jobs and wages she may have won the states like PA that haven’t gone for a Republican since the ’88 election.

Millennials, like myself, were one of the first groups to be blamed as well. However, there were more baby boomer/older Americans who switched from Democrat to Republican in this election. Many millennials saw a man who could ruin our futures for way more than 4-8 years and “held our noses” to vote for Clinton.

I guess my point is, I fear that if we don’t remember why Clinton lost and it comes to be remembered as a narrative entirely about the Russians hacking the DNC, liberals will lose in 2020 and beyond. We need to push Trump, and the DNC to actually have the interests of the country as a whole in mind rather than just their own.

Weird aside: Never seen a troll complain about not being banned yet lol.

kupo
kupo

@angry feminist
Come back when you have actual numbers to back up your claim that it’s related to job insecurity. Per the exit polls it was people making above the median and who were concerned about immigration and terrorism who voted majority for Trump. People who were concerned about the economy and who made below the median voted in larger percentages for Clinton. Until you can back up your assertions with facts, stop spreading them around.

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

The basic problem for Hillary was that the media is a corporate entertainment industry, and as with Al Gore the media disliked her because she wanted to talk about boooring issues in a pragmatic way, while Bernie was promising rainbows and unicorns and Trump was telling a new lie every day, making for great stories. Hillary was NOT massively flawed — she was a very intelligent, decent woman who had spent a lifetime preparing herself for political leadership. It is my impression that most “journalists” are not good at math and science, and their eyes glaze over when someone wants to talk about the details of policy. So we got endless stories about the fact that she handled emails in more or less the same way her Republican predecessors did, and rather than Russian attempts to influence the election being a big story, the media eagerly scooped up the hacked emails and used them to make Bernie voters think that the nomination had been stolen from him. (Hillary could have easily destroyed him at any time but chose not to because she needed the votes of people who were starry-eyed over him.)

A lot of progressives seemed to think this election was about universal health care and free college. It was, in fact, about whether we got to keep Obamacare and Medicare and some restrictions (Dodd-Frank) on the banksters and Roe v. Wade; now we are going to see the US turned into a giant hedge fund for the benefit of the most rapacious corporate interests, with gay rights and reproductive rights cut in order to keep the religious right happy. But Hillary was flawed and would have been SOOOOOOO much worse.

Karalora
Karalora

That’s just it, though…in this era of media, loud wins. We’ve been hoping our actions would speak for themselves while the haters seized the microphones and loudspeakers of the world and demonized us, and now they have shouted one of their own into a position of such power that he could (and would!!) potentially prevent us from ever being heard again.

The ideology of hate is consistent with destroying those who love. The reverse is not true. That’s what has me pessimistic.

I’m seeing the same things as everyone else here, I fancy. I don’t think it would be responsible of me to stop watching. We must know exactly what to hold the haters accountable for. No more pulling our punches. As they say on TV Tropes, Good Is Not Nice.

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

And, believe me, if I lived in Lithuania or Latvia or Estonia, I would not have an hour of decent sleep in the next four years, because Trump will sell them out in a New York minute.

Valentine
Valentine

@grumpy old social justice mangina

….or Ukraine -_- oh wait.

Rhuu
Rhuu

@GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina: Well put, and something that I have been wanting to express for a while.

@angry feminist:

I feel like this is throwing everyone who isn’t white and male under the bus. The whole ‘economic anxiety’ thing was predominately about white middle class people, while exit polls show a different story (as kupo pointed out above.)

When you see headlines telling people to stop with the identity politics and focus on what really matters, white men with less money than feel they should have, it’s pretty shitty for all the women, POC, LGBTQ people, etc etc etc. Why do those who historically have the least protections have to continue to suffer so that this ‘economic anxiety’ thing can be fixed? Can’t we do both? Didn’t Hillary have plans on how to bring jobs back to coal country, jobs that wouldn’t be phased out as there is no such thing as ‘clean coal’ and the world is moving away from using it as a power source?

(As an example, we don’t use it any more in where I live. All those plants are closed.)

I don’t understand why not reaching out to one group that probably wasn’t going to vote for her anyway would have helped her win the election. It seems like it was fear that was the deciding factor here.

numerobis
numerobis

Clinton reached out to everyone, but with white papers not reality TV. The media didn’t cover her position on anything — it was emails and the latest stupid thing Trump said, all the time.

Karalora
Karalora

To put my despair more succinctly:

Only 18% voted for Trump,

Yeah.

That was all he needed.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

I think it’s not that white men want to be prioritized, it’s that many of them want to be the only ones prioritized because when you’re used to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

I’m not sure what people wanted Hillary to do. Obviously she was not willing to compete with Trump in making promises that she knew she couldn’t possibly fulfill.

The Carrier deal is a good example. Trump is crowing about having “saved” about 750 of 2000 jobs (it seems like there are different numbers in each article) by giving the company a $7 million tax giveaway. [If you look at the deal carefully, it amounts to rebating the state taxes the EMPLOYEES pay to the COMPANY, so it is in effect a pay cut for them — their taxes that would go to their roads, schools, etc., go to the company instead. But anyway … ] But the promise he made was not merely to keep a part of US jobs from going abroad, it was to BRING BACK millions of good-paying manufacturing jobs, so that white men can live a middle-class lifestyle without being put to the inconvenience of working hard in school and going to college.

And I guess I’m a cynical old curmudgeon, but when people talk about Hillary’s flaws, I always think, “Yeah. The biggest one — no penis.” Not just being a woman, but being a woman who doesn’t show much traditional feminine deference to men.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

She’s a smart, savvy, strategy-minded woman. I think she could’ve baked everyone in the country a fresh country apple pie and she still would’ve lost. Sigh.

Eeesh. Cynical day today, looks like.

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

I’ve been thinking about these things a lot over the last month …

(I’m going to oversimplify quite a bit here, but I think there’s a real point.) Feminism has made a major impact on college-educated women, and I think a majority of college-educated men are moderately to seriously sympathetic to feminism. At least it is unfashionable to be openly male supremacist. But feminism has had a much lesser impact on non-college-educated women, and has found not much sympathy among non-college-educated men. A lot of men in that category have lost a lot of ground, particularly relative to college-educated women, and they are bitter not only about the feminazis who are trying to rob them of their male birthright, but about the male “cucks” and “betas” who are not only the enablers of the feminazis but seem to feel that they are superior to more traditional men just because they refuse to work to keep women in their place. (We see these attitudes constantly in the complaints of the manospherians that David provides.) I think this election gave such men a chance to give feminazis and their unmanly male enablers a good hard kick in the crotch. That’s where Trump’s “grab ’em by the *****” talk elicited a “Right on, dude!” reaction.

There’s an add for a “male enhancement” product that I hear on the radio constantly. “American men have lower testosterone levels than their fathers, and they had lower levels than THEIR fathers. Are we becoming a nation of powder puffs?” Apparently there are a fairly large number of men with fragile, easily threatened masculinity. Independent women are a terrible threat to them, but it is unmasculine to say so out loud. To such men Hillary is a living symbol of what is wrong with society these days. Unfortunately, it seems like all too many women (particularly on the religious right) are much too strongly invested in the role of caring for a fragile male ego.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Is Angry Feminist Mrex or just a troll? Oh, like there’s even a difference at this point.

@angry feminist

Blaming the hostile takeover of a nation planned and carried out by white men for the benefit of other white men on the nearest woman, because she’s only 90% perfect, how dare she be anything less than 120% perfect, ugh, I’ll have to hold my nose and stomp my feet when voting for* a ~~flawed~~ woman over a white supremacist child rapist, how horrific, isn’t a particularly feminist position.

(Notice that nobody calls Trump “Flawed” – well, not as an insult, anyway.)

*If you are Mrex, I still don’t believe you did vote for Hillary.

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

@SFHC — I had my questions about whether @angry feminist is really a feminist, but …

I mean, the idea that a feminist would think that Hillary’s “flaws” were within several orders of magnitude of Trump’s boggles my mind.

Kurt Eichenwald is one of the better writers on topics involving finance — numbers do not make his eyes glaze over. He wrote a lot about Trump’s finances, which of course was mostly ignored. I liked this article: http://www.newsweek.com/myths-cost-democrats-presidential-election-521044.

SpukiKitty
SpukiKitty

There’s got to be a way to take down Putin. I realize that he’s the source of all the Far-Right noise swamping the planet.

Good is greater than evil. Karma reigns over all. Surely, this is a temporary birth pang before the New Age of Enlightenment comes.

Well; Progressives need to do what the Far-Right doses….BE LOUD AND PROVIDE A LOUD COUNTERVOICE!

PUTIN HAS NO POWER! I REFUSE TO HAVE HIM RULE ME! HE IS EVIL…THEREFORE, HE IS WEAK!

Dalillama, Effort Chicken
Dalillama, Effort Chicken

@WWTH

It’s this exactly. American whites will do absolutely anything to prevent PoCs from getting a leg up.

because
when you’re used to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

I’ve seen this a lot, and honestly I think it gives these assholes way too much credit; it’s not even actual equality that they’re claiming is oppression, it’s the mere suggestion that there ought to be any, or that a white supremacist is a bad thing to be.

Moocow

@kupo

Wow, the latest entry on that blog is perfect. Dude reposts fake news about issues surrounding fake news because he believes that he can tell which news is fake.

On the broader point, I’ve seen many of the Trump supporters constantly talking about how “people should just decide on their own”. Yeah, not how ‘facts’ work.

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

@Moocow One person responding to a Newsweek article on Trump’s financial affairs having a negative impact on US interests makes the following comment:

The outgoing administration used the Justice department and the IRS to punish their enemies, corrupted the FBI and CIA, and took millions and millions of dollars in bribes in exchange for sweatheart contracts. There is no way that Trump could match that record. When it comes to corruption, the Democrats are NUMBER ONE!

In other words, whatever you say, I’ll make up my own facts to prove that you’re worse.

Belladonna "Toxic Hag"
Belladonna "Toxic Hag"

@angry feminist
The first presidential election I voted in was in Bush vs. Dukakis, and I don’t remember a single presidential election I ever voted in when I wasn’t holding my nose in the voting booth. If Sanders had won the DNC nomination, I would have voted for him. And I would have still been holding my nose.

So I understand people who want to point out that HRC had some flaws. But the “extremely flawed” narrative is extremely tiresome. There were times when she clearly lied. And frankly, she wasn’t a particularly good liar, either. I mean, she might as well have said that she tried marijuana, but she didn’t inhale.

And in an election where her opponent was rather clearly lying about absolutely everything, in the most disgusting manner, I’m starting to wonder why I can’t find any studies about double standards on lying. You know, about how men who are clearly lying get a wink, wink, nudge, while women who are clearly lying are reprehensible offenses to humankind.

@GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina
A propos of nothing, is there any chance you used to be a regular commenter on YSAC? You remind me of a “GrumpyOldMan” I used to admire there very much.

*sigh* All my comments go into moderation now. 🙁

Viscaria
Viscaria

Other flawed politicians include literally every politician that has ever lived. Every vote is a compromise.

weirwoodtreehugger: chief manatee

This isn’t the first time this Isaac Asimov quote is relevant and it won’t be the last.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.

kupo