gloating schadenfreude trump

Spinal Trump Mach 2: A Jazz Odyssey

Donald Trump: The center of attention once again
Donald Trump in Cincinnati: The center of attention once again

Last night Donald Trump kicked off his “Neener Neener, I’m Going to be the President” tour with an appearance in Cincinnati in which the popular-vote-losing president-elect regaled a crowd of almost-exclusively white supporters with a play-by-play recounting of what he insisted on calling his “landslide victory.”

What wasn’t apparent to television viewers of this strange spectacle was how sparse this crowd really was. Photos of the event reveal that the auditorium was half-filled, if that. It’s not clear if this was due to traffic snarls that kept his fans from the arena, or to the public’s lack of interest in attending an event that had no purpose other than burnishing Trump’s ego.

Looking at these pics of the half-empty arena, I couldn’t help but think of the sequence in This is Spinal Tap after Nigel Tufnel quits the band mid-tour, forcing the rest of the band to rename themselves Spinal Tap Mach II.

If the crowds continue to shrink, Trump may end up having to resort to doing dinner theater.

Or maybe Trump’s crowds will start growing again. Who the hell knows? Who the hell knows about anything any more?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

His appeal is becoming more selective.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

I wouldn’t be surprised if a few people who voted for Trump “in protest” are having Brexit-like feelings.

“Wait, you mean the guy I elected for the lulz is actually going to be president? Oh, jeez.”

Falconer
Falconer

@Alan Robertshaw:

His appeal is becoming more selective.

Turns out, without a specific enemy to inveigle against, he’s losing energy. Sad!

He’s spent his whole life selling his name as too good for us Poors. Everything he’s marketed has been at a premium, from steaks to plane tickets. (Turns out, if you price yourself out of the market, you don’t make any money!) And he never learned how to make a quality product. Without the energy of an upcoming election, us Poors aren’t turning out just to hear him talk. I just wish he could have reaped this whirlwind a year ago.

Kevin
Kevin

Maybe if his drummer died in a ‘freak accident …’

Hashtag Ravenclaw
Hashtag Ravenclaw

I think (and hope) that even setting aside policies, ideology and party loyalty, the vast majority of Americans will be heartily sick of Trump’s egomania and shameless self-promotion by the time the mid-term elections roll around.

Bina

From wank-wank to womp-womp in just three weeks. Sad.

(ha ha, not really)

Cynical Optimist
Cynical Optimist

In other news, Pence’s D.C. neighbors are flying pride flags. Heh.

losername
losername

May I share this off-topic epiphany I’ve experienced please? I just learned about the ring theory, described here which lays out a brilliant social rule for when it is okay to complain to someone and when it isn’t.

An excerpt:

Draw a circle. This is the center ring. In it, put the name of the person at the center of the current trauma. Now draw a larger circle around the first one. In that ring put the name of the person next closest to the trauma. Repeat the process as many times as you need to. When you are done you have a Kvetching Order.

Here are the rules. The person in the center ring can say anything she wants to anyone, anywhere. She can kvetch and complain and whine and moan and curse the heavens and say, “Life is unfair” and “Why me?” Everyone else can say those things too, but only to people in larger rings.

I realized this perfectly explains why some privileged people can be so infuriating. The privileged people in the outer rings keep directing their complaints inwards towards the oppressed people in the inner rings.

kupo
kupo

He’s losing popularity. See Trumpgrets.

Somewhat on topic, somewhat off: Representative DelBene is trying to stop the Muslim registry before it happens. I’m having the opposite of Trumpgrets as I voted for this wonderful woman. 😀 http://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/editorials/us-rep-delbene-bill-would-rightly-prohibit-any-religious-registry/

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

I’ve been playing some Football Manager 2017 on mobile and just got to the point where the game warns me that Brexit will make acquiring foreign players much more difficult in a few seasons. :p

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

Fuckin’ Cincy? Really? I grew up in the Greater Cincinnati area, and the Cincinnati community did nothing to deserve Trump…existing anywhere near it. The poor place.

Of course, now I’m wondering if he’s even tried chili spaghetti since he’s been there. It’s a Big Thing.

Kevin
Kevin

Kupo:

Register of a religious minority ? Didn’t a regime led by an Austrian failed artist do that ?

dlouwe
dlouwe

Small thing, David, I’m pretty sure it’s Spinal Tap Mark Two.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

WWE crowds are never as large as they appear. Vince creates the illusion that they are by tarping over empty areas, so it seems like there aren’t seats there. This also eliminates the slight reflections of lights on the metal bits of the chairs and keeps the attention in the actual people. Pretty ingenious…

kupo
kupo
Leftwingfox
Leftwingfox

Losername: While this makes a lot of sense for individual traumas and dealing with the effects of specific social issues, when it comes to systemic injustices, you have to account for multiple rings for an indefinite duration at the same time.

There’s really no good personal problem that should be brought up to a person suffering a specific trauma, such as a hospital emergency. But for oppression, a victim on one axis (i.e. sexism) might be might be perpetuating a problem on another (i.e. racism). Recognizing that we can be inside one ring and outside another is vital.

So while this is a great way of reminding people not to hijack threads on one issue to redirect to themselves (i.e. “What about the men” in a thread about a specific act against women.) I think we need to be careful adopting it to the broader stage, lest people try and justify their position in the center of their circle as a way to ignore complaints from people in the center of their own.

Kevin
Kevin

Kupo:

‘They set aside their law when it proves inconvenient.’ House point for identifying where I’ve (probably badly) quoted it from.
I find it beggars belief that so many voters in a democratic republic back such a blatant constitutional abuse. As I understand it the measure would undermine provisions pertaining to both freedom of worship and separating church from state.
But then the only constitutional rule many Americans seem to care about these days has to do with their dangerous gunpowder fuelled toys.

kupo
kupo

@Kevin
Yeah, the people who support this think that it’s violating their religious freedom if they’re not allowed to discriminate against others based on their religion, sexuality, or gender.

Cynical Optimist
Cynical Optimist

@kupo

RNGesus, the gaslighting (or just blatant lying) going on there is disgusting. There’s recorded audio of him calling for registry, how the hell do they think they have plausible deniability?!

Hambeast (fan of diversity)
Hambeast (fan of diversity)

I watched (unwillingly; I was waiting for Chris Hayes’ show on MSNBC which was almost entirely pre-empted) about a half hour of that saffron howler monkey before I got done with what I was cooking and turned to a different channel.

He went from 0 (Lots of Dems want to work with me!*) to light speed (press said we wouldn’t win but we won bigly! Therefore lying, horrible, doubleplusungood press!!**) in record time.

Even though my ground turkey wasn’t quite finished, the thing that got me away from the stove and has started to really grate on my nerves was when he started with the whole I-don’t-want-to-say-anything-don’t-tell-anyone thing about his chief military advisor pick. On. National. Television. WTF is up with this??

I don’t know why this infuriates me so. Probably something to do with the debates where he kept “not saying” things about his opponents. But that is peak passive-agressive bullshit and last night was more like unprofessional and unserious silliness. But that was my limit.

*That was where I tuned in, don’t know how much came before.

**And had to brag about his unexpected win making one unnamed pundit cry. GRR.

Juniper
Juniper

I could only stand to watch this for about five minutes, but I swear I saw at least one Nazi salute in the crowd in that time, and a lot of people who were close-but-not-quite. That just creeps me out more and more.

AsAboveSoBelow
AsAboveSoBelow

Now that he has to actually work and not just get applauded at rallies, he doesn’t really want to be president, does he?

Freemage
Freemage
Conan the Librarian

Perhaps our biggest hope is that people just get bored with his antics? I mean, he’s a narcissist, he wants to be in the news all the time, but who honestly wants to hear from and about the President all the time? The true believers will, probably. But, see…at least The Apprentice wasn’t on every single day. Just a thought.

Vic
Vic

At least he did get the bigger dressing room…

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Sorta OT:
Donald Trump is already instigating a war. Maybe 2! Only he doesn’t know he’s doing it. But that’s totally fine, cos Clinton was gonna start a war with Russia apparently. Djeizas Kraist…

Also, Donald fuckin Trump refers to Chinese trade policy as ‘rape’, and just… FFS

Not even 4 weeks, and he’s not even started his 4 goddamn years!

HawkAtreides, on the floor again with a head full of rain
HawkAtreides, on the floor again with a head full of rain

@Axe

I could never wrap my head around the Trump-fan doublethink.

Trump: “I love war”*
Fans: CLINTON IS GOING TO START WWIII

Trump: “Grab ’em by the p***y” & a history of adultery
Fans: CLINTON WAS MARRIED TO AN ADULTEROUS WOMANIZER

* – And of course <a href="http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/trump-i-love-war-comment-227818"Conway tried to spin the whole thing as "cherry picked", yet could not herself provide any further context by which to judge the phrase. And no one called her on it to her face (or in any appropriate amount of time) – not even the article I just linked to. Congrats, news outlets, you done did the jurnalizms.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

Kupo:

Thank you thank you thank you for steering me towards Trumpgrets.

HawkAtreides, on the floor again with a head full of rain
HawkAtreides, on the floor again with a head full of rain

Dangit, got called away before my comment loaded and didn’t come back until the edit window was past. The link should be to here. This, in particular, was what I was referring to:

“‘I love war,’ putting nuclear weapons on the table. The Clinton camp says that’s irresponsible,” ABC’s George Stephanopoulos remarked to Kellyanne Conway at the start of their interview on “Good Morning America.”

Conway responded that what is actually “irresponsible” is “taking little, cherry-picking little snippets of what he said and not giving the full context of the sentence, let alone the speech.”

[…]

Asked what Trump meant when he said “I love war,” Conway demurred.

“I’d have to see the entire snippet there, but obviously many commanders in chief have made the very difficult decision to go to war,” Conway responded.

And this is the level of discourse we can expect for the next four years. Repeated claims that things are “taken out of context” without providing that greater context, claims that things we have on video were never said, and the general implication over and over that we’re all too dumb to understand the words Trump speaks and have to have an intercessor interpret for us. We’re phasing out the incandescent bulb and bringing back gas, apparently.

kupo
kupo

Dang it, I just lost a post I had composed. Sorry if this ends up being a duplicate.

The house just voted in a bill that would strip away the 2014 executive order that’s currently protecting LGBT workers contracting with the government from discrimination. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lgbt-workplace-discrimination-ndaa_us_573cd273e4b0aee7b8e8e176

I wrote my rep to let her know that I was disappointed in her vote of Yea and why. You can see how your rep voted (if you’re USian) here:

Angry Since 11/09/2016

Buyer’s Remorse has begun…

Blue wave
Blue wave

@Hambeast He once told reporters in private that he knows exactly how the pool cameras work and how networks film his rallies, yet still lied to his supporters about it. He also thought the media was lying about him claiming he’ll keep Carrier from leaving until his aides showed him video footage of him making the promise.
The “Democrats will work with Trump” claim seems to be purely based on the 2018 map and how many Democrats are now sitting in red states because of the “white working class”, when everyone who has looked at the data says it’s more of rural vs urban divide, you don’t really see a lot of Republicans from red states with big urban areas line up for a cabinet post in the Trump administration.