open thread

Trump-free Open Thread for Not Talking About Trump

Not Trump
Not Trump

This blog has been pretty Trump-heavy of late, so here’s a bit of a respite. Talk about anything other than Trump. No trolls or Trump fans allowed, obviously; post personal stuff in the latest open thread for personal stuff.

(((Zero))))
(((Zero))))

wanna hear how I got banned from all the Pizza Hut’s in my county?

(((Zero))))
(((Zero))))

It’s a really funny story

Dalillama, Effort Chicken
Dalillama, Effort Chicken

comment image

Some Guy
Some Guy

okay how do I post images here D: (I tried an img src tag and it appears to have failed)

Dalillama, Effort Chicken
Dalillama, Effort Chicken

@Some Guy
Usually, posting a url that ends in .jpg, .png, or .gif will do it. Other image formats are iffy.

Some Guy
Some Guy

Oh, so just a standard link? Alright, let me try again:
comment image

THERE we go.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

Ooops. I commented with links to cute animal pics. Guess it’s in moderation. It’ll be a nice surprise for later. ^_^

(((Zero))))
(((Zero))))

hey I have a question, how do I get my icon to be a picture of my choice?
I’m still a noob
srry

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Any history buffs have a good rec for a book about Eleanor of Aquitaine? My mom loves her and wants a new book about her for Christmas. She has a couple but they were published a while ago so maybe something newish?

Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy
Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy

@ (((Zero))):

Create a Gravatar account with the same email address that you use for commenting here, and follow their directions to upload a picture.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Song drop:

@Zero
Use the email you post with here, and follow the instructions

PS. We really need to put this in a FAQ or summat, cos jeez…

ETA: ninjad

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy

Here’s an awesome band i recently discovered:

Dalillama, Effort Chicken
Dalillama, Effort Chicken

@Zero
Sign up for Gravatar with the same email you use here.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

I’ve caught a rogue rhinovirus, so I decided to fashion a meal with roast chicken ramen, a small can of regular chicken, and two eggs.

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy

@David Futrelle

Do you know who the artist of the sci-fi bear picture is? I wanna see more of their work.

Weird (yeah, it CAN happen here) Eddie
Weird (yeah, it CAN happen here) Eddie

This album is great! Available on Amazon as download. Artist Barbara Dane was active with the Vietnam Vets Against the War (G.I. Movement) in the 60’s when I was a kid.

Nequam

@Troubelle: would you appreciate a recipe for hot and sour chicken noodle soup? (It’s not so complicated that you can’t make it yourself, though if you can get someone else to do it that’d be even better.)

kupo
kupo

@Nequam
I would love your recipe. I’m not thrilled with the ones I’ve found.

@Zero
As a former Pizza Hut employee I’m fascinated that it’s even possible for that to happen and would love to hear the story.

Jedi Mind Tricks of the Bible
Jedi Mind Tricks of the Bible

The GIFs on this site are so great. Can anyone tell me their fave sources? (De-lurking)

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

@Nequam

I’ve never had hot and sour, but I’ll take it.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Gonna join in on the song-dropping with two of my favorites.

This one I’ve covered a bunch of times, and I hope to do so again when I’m not too busy with that whole hip-hop thing. Also when and if I find a way to play the guitar despite my crippled left hand.

And this one just because it’s awesome. No, seriously. CYNE and Nujabes. Sometimes, mixing two awesome things together does indeed result in more awesome.

LindsayIrene

I vote yes on hearing the Pizza Hut story.

@Kupo, @Troubelle:

Hot and Sour Chicken Noodle Soup

1 (5 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breast half, cut into thin strips
2 T. + 1/2 t. soy sauce
1 T. + 1/2 t. Chinese rice wine
1/4 t. sesame oil
4 cups chicken stock (defatted chicken broth will do, too)
2 oz. (1 generous cup) medium egg noodles
1 large egg, well beaten
1/4 cup Chinese black vinegar
1 t. black pepper
1/4 cup sliced green onion tops

Toss the chicken with 1/2 t. soy sauce, 1/2 t. rice wine, and sesame oil. Set aside.

In a large pot, bring the stock to a boil. Add the chicken and noodles. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered until the noodles are tender, about 7 min.

Stirring the soup constantly, pour in the beaten egg so that it forms lacy threads. Add the vinegar, pepper, remaining soy sauce, and remaining rice wine. Simmer for 1 min. Taste and add more seasonings as needed. The soup should have a peppery, slightly sour flavor. Garnish with green onions.

Serves 4 [2 if it’s the main course]

[From Accents of the Orient: Eastern Influence on Western Cooking by Susan Grodnick– a cookbook worth finding; I bought it on the strength of this recipe alone!]

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@wwth,

There are so many good books on Eleanor! Does your mum like fiction ones, or non-fiction?

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

Makroth:

Google says “atlan 767: schicksalswelt (heftroman)”

Looks to be a German magazine cover?

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

@Nequam

Sounds delicious, though my minority prevents me from obtaining the rice wine.

Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy
Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy

@PeeVee:

Actually a serialized novel (Heftroman).

NicolaLuna - epic slut
NicolaLuna - epic slut

Every time I see a recipe I look at how to veganise it.
Veg stock and udon noodles. But not sure what to use in place of the egg.

Nequam

@Troubelle: oh, I forgot! Though I had bought a cooking rice wine, which are usually in grocery stores away from the wine section proper (cooking wines are usually salted so that only the most desperate soaks would try to drink them– that’s why the recipe has no added salt. If you have to watch your sodium, you’ll want low-sodium broth or salt). My underage days are long past, though, so now I don’t remember if the underage can get cooking wine. :/

ETA: A Google search suggests that yes, cooking wines are all-age (just like alcohol-based extracts). I’ve never seen Chinese rice wine other than the salted cooking stuff, so you should be good.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

I’ve been listening to this song on repeat because it’s so damn good.

It can be interpreted as dancing or murder according to Jackie.

Nequam

@Nicola: I think you’d be better off doing a Google search on vegan hot and sour soups– I’m sure there must be some out there! And the egg, at least in the chicken soup, is optional. It just adds some nice thready texture. You could probably put in some tofu cubes for chewiness.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Non fiction. Since she’s already read some books on her and knows all the basics, nothing too 101.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

@Nequam

Huh. Would never have guessed.

Also, Nicola made me think: I don’t have egg noodles, but I do have at least some instant udon lying around. And God, I love udon…

Nequam

I’m sure udon would work great (I’m more a soba fan, me). I usually just get the western-type spiral egg noodles for the soup– it’s a East/West fusion, why not?

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

David, what the hell is going on with your Twitter avatar?

Those eyes startled the absolute shit out of me. =P

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

@Nequam

Finals are next week for me, and that plus sickness leads to me not planning to take the bus anywhere for a while. So I’ll stick with the crap-ton of udon I got (and some that my grandma got me).

kupo
kupo

I can confirm that I’ve purchased cooking wine in the self-checkout lane with no prompt to show ID. But there’s also alcohol-free mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine) that might be a good substitute in a pinch.

Nequam

Mirin’s flavor profile is a bit different, but it would probably be good. You might find that a pinch of salt could be added back in if the broth seems too sweet.

Steampunked
Steampunked

Finding images cool link: tineye.com

Tin Eye does a reverse image lookup. I used to use it to find stolen art. It’s helpful for working out where some folks ‘come from’ (i.e.: on other forums we’ve found bad actors on 4chan using the same icon/name so we know to just treat ’em like the troll they are).

Snowberry
Snowberry

Fake mirin is mostly sugar water with traces of alcohol and rice lees added. Real mirin requires you to be 21 (or whatever the local drinking age is) to purchase because it’s an actual form of rice wine, with just high enough alcohol content to qualify as an alcoholic beverage. They don’t normally add things to make it “undrinkable” like most other cooking wines.

Croquembouche of patriarchy
Croquembouche of patriarchy

I would love to hear ((((Zero))))’s Pizza Hut story.

Also, Brony SJ Cenobite, are you still out there? I’ve always enjoyed your comments. And your troll dissections. Seems a while since I’ve seen one.

I’m contemplating improvising a corn-dog fritter/muffin recipe.

tim gueguen

Anyone need a new webcomic to read? I’ve latched on to this one of late, Shattered Starlight. Farah Shaughnessy is the magical girl Arcturus, Guardian of Heaven. Or she was a decade ago, when she led Montreal magical girl team the Star Guardians. She still has her powers, and using them on her nasty boss just got her fired from her graphic design job. So her overseer, the Empress Celestial, decides a job at a café is a good way to keep her out of trouble.

Like that kind of thing ever works.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

’tis the first time I ever hear of cooking wine with stuff added to make it undrinkable. Damn, America’s weird.

Not sure we even got cooking wine here at all. More like we just grab a bottle of whatever cheap stuff we find and just go about our business with it.

Admittedly, I stopped even looking at wine when I was about 18, after too many of my teenage years were wasted getting drunk on plonk and waking up wondering what the hell kinda animal came in during the night to die inside my mouth. So that stuff may actually exist and be sold here, and I may just be gleefully ignorant of it.

On a somewhat related note, my favorite sport is to find the cheapest and nastiest boxed red available and cook it into the most wonderful mulled wine you’ve ever tasted. Not bragging, it’s just the recipe I got that’s awesome. The owner of my favorite bar (place closed down a few years ago and I almost quit drinking, that’s the kind of favorite I’m talking about) gave me his recipe and it’s the best thing ever. As a bonus, it’s possible to entirely remove the alcohol from it to make it suitable for kids – did this last year for Christmas and my cousins (8 and 12) absolutely loved it. ’twas wonderful.

S. John for President of your friendly neighborhood bar.

BritterSweet

So I just went and saw Moana today and really enjoyed it, probably better than Frozen! I won’t spoil anything important.

The basic plot structure is your standard hero’s journey story, but the execution was beautiful! The water looks like it must have been a nightmare to animate, but the end result was worth it.

Frantic Caps
Frantic Caps

You gu-uys, I know I don’t usually post much but I’m stuck on a train at the moment and the reason I’m stuck on a train is that I’m going to submit my thesis today! I’m currently veering between euphoria and feeling like a turd that someone wrapped in tinfoil and then microwaved (yeah, I don’t manage well on zero sleep).

LittleLurker
LittleLurker

@wwth

Some I know…

Eleanor of Aquitaine : By the wrath of God, Queen of England by Alison Weir

Eleanor of Aquitaine : The mother queen of the Middle Ages by Desmond Seward

She-wolves : The women who ruled England before Elizabeth by Helen Castor

Eleanor of Aquitaine : Queen of France, Queen of England by Ralph V. Turner

Eleanor of Aquitaine : Queen of the troubadours by Jean Markale

The titles above are some I read for an uni course ages ago. I liked them, but they might be too 101 for your mother already.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@Frantic Caps,

That is exciting. Try not to get caught out by the post-thesis blues (i.e. what the hell do I do now?). Keep us posted! 🙂

@wwth,

LittleLurker’s list is great, imo, especially the Weir one. This is one I’d love to get, and it’s definitely not 101:

It’s 2003, so not recent, but looks like a fantastic collection of essays.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Guess who just caught their first Gen 7 shiny. 8)

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Thanks, Little Lurker and Mish!

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

A short article about masculinity and mental health from one of my buddies.