bears open thread Uncategorized

Open thread for personal stuff: Autumn of our discontent edition

Literal bear hug!
Literal bear hug!

Hey! It’s a long-overdue open thread for personal stuff! Post away. No trolls, Trump fans, MRAs. Email me if things get weird.

Charlotte
Charlotte

I’ve never really contributed to one of these but damn if this election hasn’t triggered my depression worse than ever. I am surrounded by “let’s just see how it goes” types who don’t want to face what could be coming. People, including those closest to me, have literally said my fears are too stressful so please do not talk about it to them. I feel incredibly alone, isolated and like everyone I know thinks I am a crazy conspiracy theorist for being so scared. I have nightmares about secret police pulling people from their homes and violent Trump rallies and just cycle between rage and sadness then brief periods of normalcies. And then afterward I can’t believe I felt normal for a while.

It all sucks. Thanks anyone who read this, I just needed to get this out. I’ll be fine, this just sucks.

Johanna "Actually Godzilla" Roberts
Johanna "Actually Godzilla" Roberts

Well husband’s in the hospital, Vivi is being difficult as we struggle with her PTSD, my fibro is flaring up and yesterday Sebs bit Vivian. He’s never done that before and yeah. 🙁 I’m also completely cashless, scrambling and terrified for me and my husband in the future. Just… so tired. I either wanna 420 myself off to join David Bowie or just curl up and cry awhile.

kupo
kupo

@Charlotte
I’m sorry. That’s really terrible. I found out the hard way that when you really need people is when they don’t want to be there for you. That’s why I have about two friends now. I’m extremely introverted and because of my childhood have a really hard time opening up to people so when I really needed my friends and finally, painfully, shared a small amount of what I was going through and was told I needed to stop talking about that because it’s depressing…yeah. I stopped having “friends.”

Worried Hobbit
Worried Hobbit

I’ve only ever posted here once before, but I really need to vent..

My dad has been in the hospital (again) since last week, he has cancer and he probably doesn’t have much time left. He has to go to the hospital every week, and when he’s home I have to take care of him because he can’t do much on his own anymore. I don’t want to sound ungrateful but I’m just so burned out and tired and depressed and I can’t say that to anyone… It’s all too much and I can’t let myself feel anything because I wouldn’t be able to handle it…

At least my new therapist just called today to give me my first appointment (next week, yay!). I’ve been waiting for that since July…

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

@Charlotte, Johanna, Worried: Feel free to vent here. <3

*internet hugs for them's as wants them*

@kupo. Yeah. :/

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

I’ve been doing a little better as of late personally. Obviously, I’m still terrified of the election and what it means for people like me (girlflux, queer, pagan, poor, mentally ill, etc), but I’m trying not to be gloom-and-doom all the time as I simply cannot deal with it all the time. I am still serious about it, and I am still terrified, but I’ve been trying to distract myself lest I trigger my depression again.

My hours at work are being cut because we’re over budget at our location, so everyone’s getting cut hours. It’s bad because less money, but good because I can have more time off to focus on polishing my portfolio and resume.

I also have been playing lots of Pokemon Moon and having a good time, and I made a second batch of homemade cheese sauce Hamburger Mac, and it’s still delicious.

I’m also planning pony care packs for people here, and another friend of mine as well. I’m hoping to send some candy, but I don’t know if y’all have any allergies, so I am a little leery, but Skiriki liked their candy just fine too. : I

It rained today too, so that’s nice.

Weird (yeah, it CAN happen here) Eddie
Weird (yeah, it CAN happen here) Eddie

@ Charlotte, Kupo, all

Air hugs if you want them. You have friends here. This is not only where we find out what kind of friends we have, it’s also where we find out what kind of friends we ARE. Reach out, if only online, we need each other right now. It’s dark, but winter doesn’t last forever. Joe Hill said “don’t mourn, organize”, and we will. As we find the strength to get back on our feet, we’ll look to the local, state and mid-term elections and take this back from the right-wing.

Johanna "Actually Godzilla" Roberts
Johanna "Actually Godzilla" Roberts

Oh this month is going to be hell for me no matter how I slice it. My birthday has been bad luck, and with Christmas I get to just know how I can’t buy any gifts for anyone because SSDI, yo. 🙁 1500/mo… totally enough to live! Thank you Republicans!

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I’m going to add a few hugs to the internet hug pile here, for anybody who wants them.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

Yesterday was my first appointment with the psychologist in about a month and a half (read : I missed a month and a half worth of appointments because I’m shit at remembering anything that doesn’t involve large amounts of booze and loud music). Of course the whole hour was spent talking about Trump and related subjects, and how those subjects affect me and my depressed ass.

(for anyone who doesn’t know, I’ve had really bad insomnia since I was born, and I use marijuana both as a sleep-inducing drug and an anti-depressant)

Well, turns out I’ve got another problem coming up : so my mother pays for my “medication”, right ? She also drives me to those dealings, and sometimes runs them on her own since she knows the guy (who’s also a friend). Anyway, last week while I was sleeping during the afternoon due to insomnia the night before, she went by herself and decided to get weed instead of hash, because it’s healthier and more effective (to Americans : hash in France is nothing like you know, it’s actually the cheaper option here and you really don’t wanna know what’s in the stuff) although it’s more expensive.

Normally, with the deals I get these days, I can last about 10 days and nights on a 20€ bill with hash. Well, not with weed. That 20 lasted all of 5 days and right now we’re way too short on cash to be able to afford another purchase so soon. On one hand it was a really great 5 days : the sleep was wonderful, I never had to get up in the middle of the night to roll another one, the crippling depression and loneliness were held at bay. On the other hand, I’ve gotta run dry for at least a week and a half, maybe two.

It’s 11 pm right now. About the time I’m usually smoking the second one (it’s 2 on most nights, 3 on the bad ones) and about to go to bed. Well I’ve got a coffee and cigarettes instead, and there’s no way I’m gonna get any sleep until at least the same time tomorrow. The nightmares and the shitty “good dreams” are gonna be back as soon as I finally hit the hay, too. And of course there’s everything that I try to keep suppressed in my waking moments, that dumb mix of anxiety, bitterness over good memories because those ships have sailed and outright despair over the bad ones because they ain’t over yet.

TL;DR : day 1 with nothing to help me sleep or deal with the state of my mind, and I’m already considering breaking into my neighbors’ ugly house to steal their shit and sell it to buy weed. 9 more days to go, at a minimum.

Not looking forward to my really unhinged moments when I usually go “I’ma sue the government for making it illegal for me to sleep” while frantically operating a coffee machine that sees so much use we have to run full maintenance every two weeks or so.

ETA : It appears I’ve also run out of coffee. Oy vey.

Paul Beaulieu

I’m sorry so many folks here are having a hard time. I myself am dealing with seasonal depression compounded by the election. Also my wife recovering from surgery and financial trouble. Writing and making music are a couple of ways I’m dealing with it but focus, motivation and perseverance are a problem.

Be well everyone!

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

I’m sorry people are going through a rough time.

I’m afraid I don’t have much of anything helpful to say, but lots of hugs if they’re wanted.

Snowberry
Snowberry

Five of my relatives have serious health problems, and they’re starting to get scared about what will happen if Trump guts health care. Worst case scenario, I can care for one of them, but I can only really afford the time and money for just one. My brother can probably provide the money for two or three… but given his rather repulsive views about sick and disabled people, that’s pretty unlikely. I have an aunt who might be able to take care of one person, but I’m not 100% sure of this. Everyone else has their own serious problems and are likely to be unwilling and unable even if they were willing.

This means if it comes to the worst, at most two people could be given a chance to weather the storm until better health care becomes available, and the other three (or four) are seriously fucked and might die in the meantime. That is not okay.

…They’re also calling the plans strip away healthcare “Empowering Patients First Act”. Yeah.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@everybody tryna deal
Love and Hugs

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

I’m still waiting for my seasonal depression to set in. It usually happens in January even though it’s starting to get lighter by then. I guess it’s a cumulative effect or something.

Some Guy
Some Guy

I live in Australia, and even when Obama was in charge over in the states I thought about how being 24 and needing a kidney transplant would probably completely ruin my life if I lived there because of medical bills and things.

Now that Trump’s in…well :/. I know people who live over there, and I’m worried about them on top of everything. I feel like I have a responsibility to keep up with it all because it’s not as personal to me so it’s not as painful to do, but at the same time it’s really depressing.

I shouldn’t complain. I have a stable job with a large company and the transplant is covered by public health over here and hell my dad is even healthy enough to donate which gives me great odds. Plus, yanno, cishet white male and I even pass for healthy.

Still feeling very powerless at the moment, I guess. And feeling bad about that because I’m part of the social group that HAS all the power kind of makes it worse.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Snowberry

Same. In the last two weeks I’ve picked up $5k worth of necessary medication, and paid $130. If I lived in the US I would be fucked.

Dalillama, Effort Chicken
Dalillama, Effort Chicken

@Charlotte, Johanna, Worried
*hugs* and sympathies; my family are pulling some of that kind of shit right now, but at least my friends aren’t. (Of course, most of my friends are just as terrified and angry as me, so there’s no problem with minimising there.)

@All who are struggling financially and medically, right there with you. Solidarity and sympathy.

Steampunked
Steampunked

A little bit of joy – my very beloved kitty died about a year and a half ago at 19-20 years old. It was my preschool kid’s introduction to death, and for a long time (about a year) she was asking when the kitty would be back, leading to a sort of constant long extension of grief for the adults and sometimes sobbing fits for the child.

Well, recently we have been visiting shelters to get her used to the idea of another kitten, and talking about how pets are for life and what the responsibilities are. She had no interest in kittens – most little girls adore them, but not this one. No matter what fluffy balls of joy we showed her, she was uninterested. The adults wanted another one, but we decided she was too young for it and to hold off. I wasn’t able to be present for the meets since I work full time.

On the weekend, my partner took me to a shelter so I could get a dose of cute, and there was a young cat there who spotted my kidlet and began purring. So. Loud. That. No. One. Could. Talk.

Purring louder than other cats mewing. Purring louder than other cats HOWLING. Throwing herself at the cage door to get through to kidlet.

The kidlet and she glommed onto one another and wouldn’t leave each other when the door was opened. Cat wasn’t listed as kid-friendly, but apparently it didn’t matter – she knew what she wanted. We had tears when it came time to go home and the separation, but Edwina needs to recover from her spaying and an illness caused by a horrible previous owner.

So on kidlet’s birthday, we take Edwina home with us. All she can talk about now is Edwina. I may not survive this obsession.

joekster- (betas bearded)
joekster- (betas bearded)

Hey everyone, best wishes to everyone trying to deal, and I’m so sorry everyone going through black times is going through them.

Good luck.

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

Hugs to everyone who’s having a hard time. You are beloved. Your concerns are not meaningless, and you do not need to hide them from people in order to preserve their illusion that everything is fine.

My seasonal affective disorder is kicking in in a very big way right now. I’m smiling and trying not to let anyone see how I actually feel, and meanwhile finding it harder to get out of bed. I’m finding refuge in my work and in Thea: the Awakening (so good), but it gets harder.

hchillcat
hchillcat

I’m sorry for the troubles as well everyone is going through. :/
I am in graduate school in Chicago, where I recently moved and no one seems to want to hire me. I am wondering if no one will hire me because of my personality, I am introverted and have ADHD and so I come across as an eccentric recluse. I have also made around ZERO friends so far. So, I am running out of funds and Christmas is coming up. My family expects me to hop on a plane many miles away with ease. I do not want to have to make scary choices in the very near future once my small funds that I have saved up run out, which involve eating and living situations. I have always fought very hard to land on my feet and it feels like the more I try to improve my life, the more the bar is upped for me. Sometimes I get tired of it all and just want to quit.

I have one professor that has not graded a single thing and it’s the very first class for the semester, essentially the 101 version of grad school classes. I’m making As in my other two classes, but her class is freaking me out. I am documenting this in case I have to fight it later.
All of this and the election has caused me to fall into a depression and I have been sleeping too much in between doing a lot of school work. I also have some medical issues that I cannot afford thanks to the lovely American health system. My brother has had to move back home and my staunch Republican parents (who voted for Drumpf) are basically blackmail controlling him into needing their help, only to bitch and resent him for needing said help later (they did similar to me).
Well, that is enough for now. Sorry for the rant-isode.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Oops. My comment should’ve been addressed @Some Guy, not @Snowberry.

Megalibrarygirl
Megalibrarygirl

I am glad to know I’m not the only one freaked out by this election. My co-workers and friends are liberal, but say “wait and see.” But I’m scared. My kids are black. Many of their teachers are Muslim. I live on the US Mexican border. It’s a friendly safe town, but I’m worried about what Trump will do to people I know and love.

I’m sorry too to read the posts of how upset others here feel. I’m glad you shared because I hate feeling like I’m in an alternate universe of evil. I am glad I am not alone in my fears.

Therapy is so important. I go and if you can, please go. Take care of yourself and each other.

Also for those who need a little help, please go to Modest Needs: https://www.modestneeds.org. They are very helpful for small grants for people in a bind.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I feel like shit. My life is actually going great, so I can’t talk about it with anyone, they’ll just point out how my life is fine so I have no reason to feel like shit. Like … I know there’s no reason. It’s mental illness, it isn’t rational, it doesn’t follow life milestones.

I haven’t had a depressive episode this bad in probably 10 years. I’d forgotten how horrible they are. I’m crying at the stupidest, pettiest bullshit ever. This is especially fun when it hits me at work and I wind up in the restroom trying to get a grip as silently as possible. I can barely watch a movie without falling apart. My living space is a wreck. I keep wondering if life is actually worth it if this is what it’s like, and I have to keep reminding myself that all episodes are temporary. Nothing makes me happy, not even funny stuff that makes me laugh. I’ll laugh, because it’s funny, but I’m not happy or even close to it.

And I didn’t even get a manic episode to compensate for this. The manic episodes always come before the depressive ones, so I can’t look forward to having one later.

Don’t mean to drag anything down, but it seems like this is that kind of thread tonight and there’s nowhere else I can say this.

magnesium
magnesium

This semester has been especially rough. I’m struggling to keep my grades up well enough to make doing a thesis next year worth while. I’m in a group project right now that should have been an easy A. I suppose the grade we get will still be okay, but the defacto leader of the group has taken it upon himself to rewrite all of my code for no apparent reason. My working code. He says he’s “optimizing” it, but most of his optimizations aren’t necessary for a project of this scope. And often what he ends up doing is just breaking stuff I have done so that I have to now redo things that were finished. It’s a huge waste of time. My partner, a seasoned programmer, has reassured me that, no, I’m not being unreasonable in being completely baffled by this. It has been… odd to watch. This group member is a very nice person, but I’m definitely never working with him again, because jesus dude.

dlouwe
dlouwe

Hugs for all who need them. I’m sorry to hear so many of you are having a rough time. We’ve just had our first day without rain here in about a month, and coupled with daylight savings, it’s been hitting a number of people I know particularly hard.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

I hate that. I’m not sure if this is an USian thing or an everywhere thing but people tie so much of their identity and the identity of others into things like their jobs or their looks that people think a career, beauty, marriage, status, whatever is a magic happiness pill.

When I was eating disordered I had this notion that if I get skinny enough (and that goal was always vague and ever shifting of course) I would be happy and confident. That’s not how our brains work but people can never understand that.

I’m sorry the people in your life don’t get it but you can always come here and vent if it’s any comfort at all.

Nequam
Nequam

In spite of everything, I’m doing okay– hope that doesn’t sound like a threadcrap here! My electronics projects are doing all right (though I have to go and exchange some resistors I bought– I needed 47 Ohm, not 470 Ohm), and on Thursday my husband and I are going to see A John Waters Christmas.

I’m also getting a big stack of Christmas/holiday cards printed (the poem I found is Christmas-themed, in its own very strange way, but many of the recipients celebrate other holidays, so I just wish them Happy Holidays). I hope people will like them…

NicolaLuna - epic slut
NicolaLuna - epic slut

Sending massive internet hugs to anyone who wants them. I hope you’re all doing as well as possible as soon as possible and that the hard times get easier.

I feel like this is probably a good place to explain why I’ve been absent for most of this year. I genuinely didn’t think people would notice I was gone as I wasn’t as much of a regular poster as some so thanks for the welcome I got on my return, it meant a lot.

So early in the year I almost lost my job because of a spiteful coworker throwing around allegations. The investigation went on for months and the end result was that he and another person lost their jobs but me and some coworkers he’d accused of things kept our jobs. But it sent me into a bit of a downward spiral with my mental health as the stress of being investigated was too much. Trying to prove that I hadn’t done the things he said was really difficult but in the end they realised he’d done it out of malice.

I was starting to get things back on track and was doing well. Applied for a part time degree at the open university that I can do on evenings and weekends as I have a full time job. Got a place on the course (it’s a BSc in environmental science) and got accepted for a student loan.

Then on 3rd September I was raped. It’s been a really shit 3 months. I spent a month on PEP (to prevent HIV) as this guy was a total stranger so I didn’t know his history. PEP wasn’t fun, I puked almost every day and lost 16lbs in a month. The police caught him pretty quick and he’s on bail until the evidence is all gathered and presented to the Crown Prosecution Service. If they decide there’s not a reasonable chance of conviction then he’ll walk free without charge. Luckily the housemate of this guy has written a statement that backs up mine but he wasn’t there for the actual incident so that isn’t in his statement.

I start counselling next week, the waiting list is huge and I’ve only just been allocated a counsellor. I also have a hospital appointment on Thursday as I may need surgery to fix some damage that was done that hasn’t healed properly.

But weirdly, since it happened I’ve been doing really well at work and getting 85% in my uni assignments and keeping on top of things more than I normally would. So maybe that’ll crash at some point or maybe not.

But it’s good to be back here. I’ve missed lots of you fantastic commenters and your insight into things that I’ve learned so much from. And also your troll roasting skills which are unrivalled.

Sending more hugs to you all. Xx

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I’m adding some extra hugs to the pile for NicolaLuna.

Nequam
Nequam

Oh geez, Nicola. Good luck.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

hchillcat | November 29, 2016 at 5:23 pm
My family expects me to hop on a plane many miles away with ease.

As someone in a similar situation, my sympathies.

I have a job, but it’s minimum wage retail work. My mom is getting married this Christmas to a guy (who is shady as fuck as far as I’m concerned but that’s a whole ‘nother kettle of fish), and she expects me to be there for her wedding.

When she told me she was getting married, I was happy for her, and I still am (despite my misgivings about the shady-as-fuck dude she’s engaged to), but I can’t afford a six hundred dollar plane ticket to go to her wedding across the country, and I sincerely doubt I can get the time off to go, even for one day, because it’s Christmas.

As for the dude himself: He’s given all the hallmarks of a con-artist. He says he’s not in touch with his family because they want his money, he vanished off of Facebook as soon as my mom started “dating” him because he said he was being contacted by too many people, and he has her send him money via Western Union all the time because he supposedly works in Africa building roads and “can’t access his bank”.

It’s all shady as hell, and even other family members are in agreement with me about it.

My aunt even sent me this link, and I sent it to my mom explaining to her that I would love to be proven wrong, but this guy has hit enough of these points to worry me.

And of course, my mom has said nothing about it and has barely contacted me since, despite having my phone number my Facebook. And my grandma is also trying to silence any sort of dissent that we have, because she just wants my mom to be happy after all her shitty relationships.

And I do want my mom to be happy. But that means not being with someone who can potentially get her arrested for money laundering or some shit.

Dalillama, Effort Chicken
Dalillama, Effort Chicken

@Nicolaluna
lots of extra *hugs*

@Paradoxy
I dunno how much it helps, but he’s probably gonna ghost before the actual wedding. There’s basically no chance that your mom will end up in legal trouble over this. Financial and emotional is another story. (I have been in an analogous situation to yours, and got to watch it play the whole way through.

Mels
Mels

I see lots of other people here are worried about their or their loved ones’ healthcare being snatched out from under them.

I have multiple “pre-existing conditions” (if ever there were a phrase that needs to gtfo the English language…) and I’m terrified. I’m already disabled *with* medication, and I can’t imagine what would happen with out. And I live with other disabled family members. I’m already looking into low-cost clinics and low-income prescription help programs, but I’m afraid they’re going to be (understandably) overloaded if/when the ACA disappears.

My Buddhism has me trying really hard not to rage at the participants of the new kakistocracy, but good god it’s difficult.

I’ve begun learning Swedish on Duolingo in case I need to get out of the country. I don’t know how the hell I’d manage it, since I don’t have the money to move and I’m tied down by stuff like student loans on forbearance. But the impossible has already happened…so I’m gonna prepare as much as I can anyway.

authorialAlchemy
authorialAlchemy

I’m actually doing better. I’m on antidepressants now. My mind feels really empty though. It’s because I had a lot of intrusive thoughts, suicidal urges and paranoia, and those are pretty much gone. I don’t feel foggy.

I’m trying not to let the election bother me because I have school work to do. But when break rolls around, hooooo boy I’m going to get sad and angry again.

Almost all of my friends are queer, trans, and/or poor, and the only one who is neither is black and his parents are documented Jamaican immigrants. (He sat on his ex-friend and yelled at him for voting for Trump. That is why they aren’t friends anymore.)

So no one told me to stop freaking out. Even my dad is scared, snd he’s usually the positive soothsayer. He’s chronically ill/disabled. The only person who told me to stop talking about it was my sister, but that’s because she has even more intense feelings about it than I do. She has had nightmares.

Anyone who is scared, you are not alone and your feelings are valid.

hippielady
hippielady

@NicolaLuna I’m so sorry that happened to you. I hope the person gets prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Also, internet hugs to anyone who wants them.

This election has made me sad and angry in equal measure. I work in the mental health field (and just got my professional license–yay!) and I am afraid for my clients because all of them are on SSI/D or public assistance. They are already living in poverty and have difficulty getting doctor’s appointments because nobody wants to take Medicaid. I also worry about the decidedly fascist, nationalist, bigoted, misogynistic tilt out entire country just went on. All those people have been emboldened by the election of a man who was openly all of those things. I try hard not to let it get to me, because I’m no good to anyone else if I’m in a rage or hiding in the corner all the time. So I have decided that it’s time for me to get more active. My first step in that direction is to go to the Women’s March on Washington on January 21st. My daughter, son, and son’s girlfriend are going with me, so that makes me happy.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Mels

If you move to Gothenburg I can give you free private tutoring.

Rare Pupper
Rare Pupper

Don’t normally comment, but life is depressing and I feel like rambling into the void. My father’s side of the family has ostracized me, my mother is trying to get me arrested for looking after her parents with her permission, and I’ve spent almost two weeks trying to get a Shiny Popplio.

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

:: moves barrel of hugs, teddy bears and bon bons right out into the middle of the room ::

There’s a couple of rays of hope for some of you living in the USA even if you can’t find it in your own circumstances for the time being. Looking at all the people who’ve decided that they now have every reason to push their issues and no good reason to hold back, today’s Fight for $15 strike is the biggest ever. It’s hard to recall that it started out 4 years ago as just a couple of hundred fast food workers. Thousands of people in over 300 cities this time.

And watching Standing Rock water protectors stand their ground in the face of horribly violent attacks by assorted police and company employed thugs. The vets who’ve signed up for unarmed shielding/ defence of the protectors have almost reached their gofundme target and they’ve got over 2000 people already on their duty roster. They start arriving on Sunday. https://www.gofundme.com/veterans-for-standing-rock-nodapl Anyone with $3 or $5 or $10 they can chip in might feel better for doing so.

If you’re currently lacking in the persistence, activity, courage departments on your own behalf, you can at least bask in the warm glow of seeing others doing what they can in the meantime for their own causes. (And getting a bit of progress on the $15 might do a lot of good for a lot of other people as time goes on.)

Your time will come.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

*brings fluffy blankets and pillows for blanket fort*

Claire
Claire

I’ve been sitting here a while trying to think of something to write but I’ve got nothing. I’m so sorry y’all are going through such a rough time. If anybody ever comes to South Africa, there’s a guest bedroom and a free tour guide waiting.

Kat
Kat

Thanks, mildlymagnificent, for your words of encouragement.

I’m sorry that so many of us are going through such a hard time right now. I had to cry when I read your stories. I haven’t cried much since Trump won the election, so it was good that I did just now.

Here’s Emmylou Harris, quintessential American singer and songwriter (with a bunch of Grammys to her name), singing a very sad song, “Hard Times” by Stephen Foster, the father of American popular music.

American readers, it looks like the fight against Trump is largely ours. (That said, it’s still everyone’s fight. Thank you, allies worldwide!)

Our country was founded on a rebellion against and a resistance to unjust authority. We are better than this. Let’s make Donald Trump bitterly regret the day he decided to run for the highest office in the land.

This is our country.

Kat
Kat

@NicolaLuna
I’m so sorry to hear about such an awful experience. I hope that justice is served, and that you experience good health and peace of mind.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Thanks WWTH. The thing is that my new job did make me happy for a while, so I understand the thinking there. My parents and all my IRL friends, though, don’t really understand mental illness, and they are of the school of thought that says I am somehow choosing to be a wreck, and I could just as easily choose to be happy if I wanted to be.

@NicolaLuna

I am so sorry that happened to you. I hope you find justice and peace in the coming days.

Kevin
Kevin

Is the thread picture a Gurrow facing the Eeka threat ? (From a vaguely remembered SF short story…)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Kevin

That’s so weird! That was exactly my first thought too; even though the image doesn’t fit the story in any way.

(“No connection” btw)

Kevin
Kevin

@ Alan Robertshaw

I thought it vaguely did fit. At the end of the story the Gurrows were worried that the Eekas might invade their territory, as the primate Eekas did not seem to view the ursine Gurrows as people. (Which sounds depressingly familiar these days.)

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ Kevin

Yeah, I could see it being the sort of cover an artist might draw for the story. I always envisage the Gurrows as wearing those lumberjack shirts for some reason!

Although if I learned one thing from Yogi, it’s that bears dress quite formally. (But perhaps the average bear doesn’t dress so smartly?)

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

All of my respect and virtual hugs and I wish I had more, to all of us with really awful shit to deal with. And fucking hell NicolaLuna, I wish you well and I wish the rapist convicted.