armageddon bad science citation needed empathy deficit entitled babies grandiosity men who should not ever be with women ever MGTOW misogyny reddit trump

“Females will lead to Extinction” because they don’t know how cars work, MGTOW scientist declares

Damn you, Thelma and Louise!
Damn you, Thelma and Louise!

The Men Going Their Own Way subreddit has become a fertile breeding ground for some of the Internet’s most delightfully unhinged misogynistic rants.

But lately it’s been outdoing itself. And so today I would like to present to you a 2-for-1 MGTOW special, not one but two unhinged misogynistic rants, each with its own post devoted to it, both from the very same MGTOW subreddit thread.

First, we have a dire warning from a MGTOW scientist, who presents his highly scientific theory that women — sorry, females — will soon drive our species extinct, because they don’t understand how cars work. Or something.

Honestly, it’s a little confusing. Let’s try to work our way through it.

“Females will lead to Extinction and I am not talking about climate change,” a newly minted Redditor called Colmaxhoffmann declares.

I am scientist that has studied the future of species and human sustainability for years.

HIM IS SCIENTIST.

My conclusion is that we will go extinct if we continue to allow females to take control of our world.

The reason is quite simple: since the dawn of time males have needed to please females to breed. This has become unsustainable as their demands have become increasing technology based.

FEMALE NEED IPHONE IF MAN WANT BREED.

THEREFORE NEED OIL.

Technologies that burn oil a non-renewable resource: oil. Oil has become the dominant means of providing the energy for all other forms of energy and technology.

FEMALE NEED LOTS OIL.

Oil though is non renewable. It also has an energy cost to extract. The deeper the oil the more energy used. In 1900 it took 1 barrel of oil costing $1 to extract 100 barrels. … Now having exhausted the oil fields we get a ratio of 7:1. It is predicted by 2046 this will be 1:1 making it from then on unprofitable to extract. By then there will also be a massive fall in quality of the oil. This means that oil will cease to be viable.

NO OIL MAKE FEMALE SAD.

People believe by then we will have found substitutes for oil. Unfortunately so far not one has proved to be portable, safe, cheap to access/produce … Static energy requires can be met by renewable energy and nuclear power for a time but eventually these will be unable to replicated or repaired as oil is the very basis of making such technology viable … .

ALL THIS TALK OF OIL MAKE FEMALE HUNGRY

Food sources will be quickly impacted as food is transported by plane, ship and articulated lorries all of which rely on cheap fuel to be profitable.

IF NO FOOD CAN FEMALE HAVE LIPSTICK?

The demands of post-war (ww2) females will cease to be practical. They will no longer be able to titillate their desires with decorative jewelry or lipsticks since the markets will be running on an emergency basis.

LIPSTICK IS EMERGENCY!

As hyperinflation takes hold money will devalue. Women will be forced to resort to their baser occupations since it will be better to become a whore than starve to death.

IF NO LIPSTICK HOW FEMALE CAN BE PRETTY WHORE LIKE IN PRETTY WOMAN?

Cars will be a thing of the past … Society and civilization will simply disintegrate.

Women will find that males are required for protection and hunting.

CAN FEMALE EAT DEAD PEOPLE BODY? FEMALE SECRETLY WANT EAT DEAD PEOPLE BODY.

(In some case1s scavenging on dead bodies will be required).

AWW YISSSS

All of this must happen because humans live under a female misapprehension due to a lack of scientists amongst them that men will solve these problems. They thus vote in people who have not a single clue that oil which raise a global population from a few billion to 7 billion and perhaps by 2050 25 billion is unsustainable.

FEMALE BEG DIFFER. POLL SHOW FEMALE MORE BETTER LIKE ENERGY CONSERVATION THAN MALE.

Most women don’t know how a car works. They don’t know that 80% of the fuel it burns is lost in heat and friction. This ignorance has contaminated the male world because males are now subservient to females. Consider Donald J Trump.

FEMALE NOT UNDERSTAND WHERE TRUMP COME FROM ALL OF SUDDEN.

He lives to enjoy women and the sex they provide. All else is just a means to gain more females. His entire life has been enslaved by the desire to breed. This desire whilst being natural has diverted men from seeing the future threat that the loss of oil creates.

FEMALE PRETTY SURE OTHER FEMALE NOT FORCE TRUMP SPEND MONEY ON FANCY CRAP.

FEMALE NOT IMPRESSED MGTOW SCIENTIST ARGUMENT. ALSO NOT REALLY BELIEVE MGTOW IS SCIENTIST.

Stay tuned for the second half of today’s MGTOW Two-fer, tentatively titled “Females are breeding with f***y weak men at the behest of corrupt elites.”

EDIT: PART TWO IS HERE!!!!!1!

Belladonna "Toxic Hag"
Belladonna "Toxic Hag"

Women are ruining the world because they love iPhones and cars, and men, who totally hate their iPhones and cars, have to STEM for their boners. Except MGTOWs, who of course, would never own an iPhone or a car.

Bina

@Belladonna:

Right? Why don’t they GTFO the internets, then? Saves so much electricity not to have to hear from whiny migtoes. Keeps the air so much cleaner and nicer smelling, too…

Weird (yeah, it CAN happen here) Eddie
Weird (yeah, it CAN happen here) Eddie

Ok, lemme get this…

When women run things, men don’t want to breed

When men don’t want to breed, women use more lipstick

When women use more lipstick, we use too much oil

When we use too much oil, we run out

When we run out of oil, humans go extinct

Women, don’t let humans go extinct: don’t run things….

Izzat it??

Belladonna "Toxic Hag"
Belladonna "Toxic Hag"

@Bina

Well, of course, they don’t actually want to be on the internets or own computers or contribute to all that nasty world-ending technology. But as the only men who aren’t enslaved by their boners, it’s morally imperative to go on the internets to fight all the evil female overlords. 😉

numerobis

@The Adjunct: you’re not alone. I’ve heard variations on the theme from most the women I was close with who were in grad school (both when I was undergrad and grad).

Given the number of stories that have been breaking lately, I’m hopeful that rape culture in academia is in decline. It’s going to take a lot of work.

Her Grace Phryne: Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite (also cats)
Podkayne Lives (Soulless Golem)
Podkayne Lives (Soulless Golem)

They really do like the ‘women will have to sell sex post-apocalypse’ thing.

They do realize, don’t they, that there are women NOW who sell sex, and they don’t actually have to wait for the destruction of civilization to purchase some? Not that I would advise any sex worker to actually take any of these people on as clients. If nothing else, I suspect them of not bathing, and tipping very badly.

TreePerson
TreePerson

I find it somewhat amusing that AdBot decided to put a picture of the Nomad from the new Mass Effect in the middle of that rant.

@Sinkable John
Combine that with our new VP wanting publicly funded conversion “therapy” and Texas is going to have a lot of traumatized youth on its hands.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

@Podkayne Lives

Yeah, but that’s illegal and looked down upon now. As soon as the apocalypse happens, like right away, society and decency are thrown out the window so they can rape fuck anyone without people saying they can’t or thinking they’re scum.

That’s what it’s like in Akira and Fallout, duh.

Flora
Flora

Thanks for the props guys, I get so frustrated with idiots going around claiming they can STEM inherently while i’m busting my butt actually doing the work (my residency program requires we take a graduate level course in biostatistics, and my final is tomorrow and oh god oh god).

@Adjunct

I’m so sorry. I know i’m in the wrong field, but you can come science with me any day. (People are like insects, right? Some more than others…)

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Adjunct
I wish I could say I was surprised. *hugs* or other supportive gestures as desired.

Pie
Pie

Interesting thing about peak oil… there am scientists who working on some promising research projects involving nifty photosynthetic devices where you feed water and air into one end, and get various useful industrial chemicals out of the other. Stuff like ammonia and methanol. Combustion engines exist that run on both of those, and given sufficient energy and enthuisiasm you can turn methanol into more complex hydrocarbons. Carbon neutral, by way of a bonus. Give it a few years.

Damn technological progress ruining perfectly good post apocalyptic harem fantasies 🙁

AW
AW
Bonelady
Bonelady

I understand tractors, does that count?

tim gueguen

I love that picture at the top. It looks like a flying car.

Sseba
Sseba

So, did I get this right: Super-alpha-male Trump, now that he has been elected turns out to be Subservient To Females? Is he secretly a Beta-Mangina? Oh the conspiracy!
It is FEEEMALES all the way down!

hottotrotsky
hottotrotsky

Even if the apocalypse *did* happen the way these numpties imagine, we have firearms now, and it is a curious but well phenomena that one doesn’t need testicles to shoot a gun.

Oh, it’s true.

Fortunately, the evidence for functioning car-less societies is laying around everywhere, *and* we have a better chance of solving our problems now that half the population isn’t automatically excluded from the drawing board. It would be even better if half the population didn’t have to endure so much bullshit to be allowed in. More brains at work equals more work accomplished. SCIENCE!

numerobis

Pie: peak oil is probably about now. We’re not likely to run out of the stuff; we’re instead going to just stop burning it because electric cars will have become cheaper and more convenient — that and less polluting.

Cheaper probably happened this year; if not, it’ll happen next year (depends on oil price).

Moocow

Already one sentence in and my bullshit alarm is going off. That field is called “sustainability studies”

I know this because I am not a scientist but I have studied sustainability studies for two years as a college minor.

Nope, that just means the price of oil will go up. Guess this guy studied sustainability “for years” without ever studying economics.

What a fake scientist boy. Like, what? Oil is non-renewable? You don’t fucking say!

Yep, and clearly the only way for us to get food is by plane, ship and whatever the fuck articulated lorries are. It’s not like community gardens exist or that the slow food movement exists (and people who actually give a fuck about sustainability studies are actively pursuing ways of transporting food from farm to table within the smallest distance)

Also, not even a mention of Monocultures? Factory Farming? Overuse of pesticides? Bee Colony Collapse Disorder? Overfishing?

This guy studied environmental sustainability yet seems to think our biggest food sustainability problem is just “the oil used to transport it”? I call 100% Bullshit.

In fact, the only ‘enlightning’ thing he’s described is that oil isn’t renewable! No way!

comment image

Or, y’know, grow food. These misogynists seem to forget that they need to be fed as well, or do they think that an environmental apocalyptic will lead to an infestation of mammoths?

@Adjunct

So gross and creepy. Hugs if you’d like.

It’s funny (the sad funny), reading your post made my jaw drop to the flour and filled me with shock and disbelief yet I’m seeing a lot of people’s reaction being “yep, sounds about right”. My emotional response to this message of “shock and outrage” demonstrates privilege very clearly.

Specifically, I’ve never had someone use sex as leverage against me. I’m trying to imagine what I would do in a situation where someone said the more subtle version of “if you want [job enhancement] you’re going to have to have sex with me”. Like, that’s scary as shit to imagine that scenario happening just once. I have no idea what I would even do aside from ‘resist the urge to vomit’.

Cynical Optimist
Cynical Optimist

@The Adjunct

I’ll add my support to everyone else’s, though I’m afraid I don’t have any gifs to go with it. No one should have endure that kind of bullshit and be told to just deal with it.

Steampunked
Steampunked

They don’t want women to sell sex, I think. Selling involves trading for money, which can be spent on anything.

They want women to barter sex for something that is consumed right then and there – protection from some guy down the road, immediate food, something from the company store.

Barter is the fantasy because effectively it’s people ‘willingly’ having sex with you in the hope it will lead to survival without you necessarily having to do anything.

Banananana dakry
Banananana dakry

Sigh. Like some other people already mentioned, this is an awfully elaborate chain of events this guy is making up so he has a possibility of getting his dick wet. Which says something about the ridiculous odds of someone right now willingly touching him, which also says a lot about how repellent his personality must be.

@Chie Santonaka

Given he thinks his entire experience and perspective is all that matters, and given his idea of sex is probably *hump hump* *squirt* *snore*, no wonders he can’t imagine women enjoying sex.

Steampunked
Steampunked

I also get the irrits every time this shows up because these people do not seem to understand how small scale farming and agriculture works. It is inconvenient, and subject to weather, but it is something a family can often do very effectively – especially if in coordination with other families, so that your society can absorb problems without collapse.

Damn it, I have bees, chickens for eggs and meat, and grow fruit, vegetables, salad, and mushrooms in my back yard. I do it because it is pleasurable (and I’m self indulgent), but women have always been farmers. I can tell you a good deal of what we can eat locally, but during the apocalypse, my money is going to be on the local Koori people so the weird stench of white supremacy these dudes always reek of can go fuck itself too.

( Oh, also, in Antarctica there are female scientists. A doctor there performed her own biopsy for breast cancer. My organisation sends people there – and we send women. 🙂

Cranelady
Cranelady

Sorry if this is unacceptably long!!

@LindsayIrene, thanks for brightening my day with those STEMming, as-ridiculous-as-a-female-scientist (/s) doggies. GAY FEMALE HAVE STEREOTYPE IRRATIONAL OBSESSION WITH DOGGIES.

It’s actually kind of hard to devise a statement as grammatically incorrect as that. When you’re literate, anyway.

@Chie Santonaga, if your only concept of sex is a gameified transaction between a master and his child-like, genetically subservient conquest, would you have many experiences that confirm women can enjoy it?

@The Adjunct, PZ Meyers’ confrontational style might do well among people who can acknowledge a logical argument in a statement they disagree with, but a big problem on the internet especially is that people dismiss confronting arguments as stupid, factually incorrect and completely illogical before they even make an attempt to understand the logic a person was trying to use. You can still reject the premises of an argument while acknowledging that if they were correct, the offensive argument would make rational sense (much less so in this specific post, of course.) I have actually thought the opposite, that hateful people feel so fragile outside these self-affirming bubbles and feel so persecuted by people reacting with anger to their toxic beliefs, that while anger might be just it only further entrenches these people’s self-image as martyrs. It’s just an idea of mine, that maybe kid-gloves, politesse and superficial respect, validation of fears and that their arguments are logical given a set of incorrect premises might lead to more productive communication. I’ve also tried acknowledging their experience of women as valid to them, based on their perceptions– dismissing personal testimony is bad for both sides. I admit it’s usually failed spectacularly where I’ve tried it (these people have anger and hostility on hair-triggers), and I may be optimistic from a lot of DBT and communication training. 😛

(TW: rape)
But I mostly wanted to share sympathy and solidarity with your experience. Even though I am out of the closet and have a lot of male friends, I literally don’t have a single one that has not still tried to sleep with me during a late night of hanging out. They are good people and pretty feminist in talk, I think too many beers and lust overriding compassion is to blame (SO NOT AN EXCUSE), but it still makes me feel undervalued, objectified, slightly unsafe every time. Like no matter how well we get along, I am still Just A Woman and my identifying as lesbian is just some silly female pretension. It was in this context that I was actually raped, and got blamed for it in spades. One of my closest friends made her doubts *very* apparent until the guy actually told her in so many words that he did it, then had the bright idea to confront him on my behalf– so I got being called a liar, hysterical, and descriptions of how I totally came on to him to boot. She has since called it a “grey area,” and when she was talking about forgiving him she described being plied with alcohol and “taken advantage of” herself, which is a devastating example of a self-described feminist buying into rape culture hook, line and sinker. On another fairly liberal site several men thought it was perfectly acceptable to react to women’s stories with things like “Well, you hung out with him, isolated in his car– what did you expect to happen?” Like if a man comes to assume you want sex you have a social obligation to give it to him– I think people’s monkey brains assuming that women either “give” or fail to give a man sex as Gatekeepers is the biggest factor in rape culture. It was well over a year before I could have open conversations about my experience with my closest, and until that point I had totally projected a lot of the blame and doubt I perceived I was getting, because society teaches me to expect it and because on some not-yet-healed level I hold those beliefs myself. If you see this and hold on through the blathering I go through intense periods of isolation myself due to depression/anxiety, and would love to talk to you. <3

numerobis

Moocow: the argument about the ratio of barrels spent mining versus how many barrels you mine is basically a simplified version of the EROI (or EROEI) — energy return on [energy] investment. The price is expected to grow according to 1/(EROI – 1) as EROI falls to 1.

Price goes to infinity when EROI approaches 1 from above: No matter how many dollars we give Shell, if Shell will use two barrels of oil to dig up one barrel, it’s pointless. In the end we would have had more energy by burning the two barrels than by scrounging for more.

But that’s the supply-side peak oil problem, which people were worried about in the 1970s and 80s. That problem is generally viewed as being irrelevant now: Long before we run out of oil supply, we run out of carbon budget (aka global warming kills us all).

The demand-side peak oil concept is far newer: we now have the technology to keep our economy running almost without oil, on largely renewable resources. We just need to deploy it.

In either peak-oil scenario we see oil production go up and up and up (as we have), then plateau, then fall precipitously, because nobody is going to be burning it anymore. The curve looks the same, but one scenario (supply-side peak) ends in civilization collapse and the other (demand-side peak) leads to a life much like today’s but less polluted.

chesselwitt
chesselwitt

@Flora

biostatistics

I think every muscle in my body tensed at that word. Regular statistics was bad enough, I can’t even imagine something called biostatistics. Good luck on your final!

@Steampunked

Yeah, their scenarios are always that the uppity womenfolk will have to trade sex for the protection of the manly man after the apocalypse. Women will be forced to offer sex or they will die, mwahahaha! It never crosses their minds that after the apocalypse women’ll have even less use for them then we do now. ETA (The douchecanoes, not men in general.)

Steampunked
Steampunked

@chesselwitt One of the big things they never fucking consider is that for a lot of women in the modern world, the prospect of pregnancy post-apocalypse WITHOUT a very, very strong structure of community is terrifying if not deadly. Why would I trade sex for temporary protection if there was a high chance I would be pregnant and then die in childbirth given the dire straits of the situation?

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

I’m late to this thread, and I’ve had some wine, but has MGTOW just discovered that fossil fuels are not infinite? And found a way to blame it on lipstick?

@The Adjunct

I am in awe of you. You are welcome here, to share your experiences (or insect pictures, if you’d prefer). Your story isn’t over yet, and I’d love to hear about it (even if it doesn’t feature a *traditional* win; if you’re happy, it’s a win).

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

since the dawn of time males have needed to please females to breed

1)Does he mean “breed”, or does he mean ‘have sex’. Cos, that ain’t remotely the same thing these days. It never was really…
2)Of course he can’t imagine (cis) women enjoying/seeking sex, but he also can’t imagine (cis) men needing to be convinced beyond ‘I am girl with girl parts. Want snu snu?’ Some of us have standards *harrumph*

titillate their desires with decorative jewelry or lipsticks

Why do I have a feeling he’s not mad at the frivolity of it? I’m thinking maybe he’s… Like, he wants… That is, he thinks they should… For him… Nope, lost it. Nevermind

by 2050 25 billion

10. Not 25. 10. Maybe. Scientist my ass

@Adjunct + Cranelady
<3 <3 <3
And totally talk about bugs. All ears 🙂

Moocow

@Numerobis

Ok, fair enough, I misunderstood what that figure meant to represent. And you’re right, the problem has never been ‘running out of oil’ so much that the damage we’d cause to get the that point

@Cranelady

Hugs. That’s unbelievably shitty that you got victim blamed for it despite him having admitted it. And fuck those guys for not respecting your lack of attraction to their entire gender. You’ve every right to feel objectified the way you did and I hope they’ve realized it was a really shitty thing for them to do.

Amazing that men will more readily believe that a lesbian woman ‘led on’ a straight man than the idea that a man sexually assaulted a woman.

numerobis

I wonder how many migtoes are aware of global warming?

They’re very similar to conspiracy theorists, but they don’t necessarily buy into all the conspiracies. They probably believe we went to the moon (and they likely believe it was all men who did that).

numerobis

Part of rape culture is the belief that rapists are monsters who grab you in the alley; part of our homophobic culture is believing that lesbians just never met the right man. Both are false, but engrained.

If faced with the choice between believing one friend is an alley monster, versus believing another friend just never met the right man, which belief is more comfortable?

Awful, but not exactly amazing.

Cranelady
Cranelady

Thank you, thank you everyone.

(TW, rape)
numerobis, I saw some truth in that with my experience. It’s natural to evaluate people you like more positively, but what was really amazing to me was the default position my friend, and *everyone,* seems to take: “hmm, this woman is claiming she was assaulted. I need to hear every excruciating detail and decide for myself if she really was, because obviously women have tremendous personal benefit in disclosing, and could *just as easily* be lying.” Or women “misinterpreted” a situation or claim rape all the time to excuse their sexual behavior, because whether a man made you feel violated is apparently some ambiguous thing we can’t wrap our heads around and the personal consequences of disclosing are somehow equal to or easier than just admitting we had sex.

My friend had also rationalized her own experience with sexual assault; even though she describes herself as a feminist she thought a man conspiring to get her drunk and following her home, treating her in forceful ways she had not consented to, was just “being taken advantage of,” losing a hand in the game that is male-female gender relations.

I am also a feminine lesbian, and my friend knew that I had experimented with men in the past. I am mystified by how many people think telling them I’m a lesbian is just me being a hipster or being confused. My mom didn’t even want to tell my dad until she knew I was dating someone.

Moocow

@numerobis

I should clarify. I’m not saying these results are “amazing” as in “shocking an unprecedented” but more like “amazing” as in “The problem is so shockingly bad that…”

Not the best choice of word on my part. “Sad that…” or “really sums up rape culture when…” would have been better.

epitome of incomprehensilibility

Oh, so the reason Donald Trump doesn’t care about global warming is because he likes sex too much, thus he has to please women, and women are greedy and want all the world’s oil? MAKES SENSE.

@The Adjunct & @Cranelady – So sorry about what happened to you, and that people were making excuses and outright denials.

@Flora – Best of luck with the exam!

@numerobis – Going back a bit, to electric cars: I think right now the infrastructure is the main challenge, not the price of the cars themselves.

I think I remember you live in Quebec? We’re pretty good for charging stations, better than most states/provinces so far. My parents got an electric car last year and can drive around here pretty well, but can’t go to Kingston (Ontario) without taking a ridiculously convoluted route. I was surprised how few charging stations there are in Ontario.

The car’s a Mitsubishi – not a huge battery, but quite adorable looking, sort of like this but a different colour/pattern:

leftwingfox
leftwingfox

@the Adjunct & Cranelady: My sympathies and respect to you both.

Cranelady
Cranelady

Also @weatherwax, I really like what you said: “even if it’s not a *traditional* win; if you’re happy, it’s a win.” A really hard part of accepting chronic mental illness is letting go of the expectations you had as a healthy person. Seeing getting out of the house and building support, getting on the treadmill as huge wins, because they are. Dealing with loved one’s expectations based on who you were can be pretty draining as well. With regards to rape, so very few women see the defined win of a prosecution, and those who do go through an unacceptably dehumanizing process to get it– for most of us, the best win we can hope for is finding acceptance and rediscovering what it means to feel happy and safe.

numerobis

epitome of incomprehensibility: that’s the same car my uncle has!

He has driven to *Toronto* with it, often goes to Ottawa and Québec. He’s hit up the Bas-Saint-Laurent, but you can’t reach Gaspé yet. For a year (until he was forcibly retired) he commuted from the exurbs where he lives to his job downtown. It was about a 75 km commute from home to the metro, in a car rated at 80 km range. In winter, he didn’t have the range to turn on the heat, so he’d drive with windows open.

Now he volunteers to drive senior citizens around (e.g. to the hospital) because he loves his little car so much (and the reimbursement rate on his mileage.

He revels in thumbing his nose at society telling him things aren’t possible. Ridiculously convoluted just makes it more fun.

His project: drive across Canada. Right now there’s a nearly 400km blank spot in the prairies — doable, barely, in a Tesla (we saw an Ontario-plated Tesla at a trailhead in BC), but not in the MiEV.

My in-sins have a Volt, which is a far more practical car for the transition period the plugs become sufficiently ubiquitous.

The Adjunct
The Adjunct

Ahhhh I had a long response written out, but it got lost….

@everyone

Thank you so much. I’m honored to be a part of this esteemed commentariat.

@Cranelady

I agree wholeheartedly with your first point. Being confrontational doesn’t always work.

Regarding your story.. I feel you so hard. I’m sorry. Rape and sexual violence make people really uncomfortable and most would rather ignore it or explain it away because to confronted with the reality… that it’s everywhere and it happens all the time. People want to believe that if they follow the rules they’ll be safe, and they want to believe that otherwise ‘nice’ people can’t do horrible things. Because to accept the inverse is.. well, it’s reality and it’s pretty scary.

Rape culture is so frighteningly tied in every minute way to mainstream culture it’s indistinguishable. This is why after the whole ‘grab them by the pussy’ thing, when sooooo many men came out to say that they had never heard ‘locker room talk’ I just laughed and laughed. They are definitely either lying or they’ve never paid attention. Come on, guys, really? But I guess it’s easier to completely blanket deny that the problem exists than confront the uncomfortable reality that one may have wittingly or unwittingly participated in rape culture.

This election has been.. horrible and triggering in many ways but it’s also been a validation in a weird sort of way. There does not exist a level of misogyny that will cost a white man his job, which is something I’ve always believed, but it’s now been definitively proven. Also, that a woman, who is better and stronger and more intelligent and more qualified in every conceivable way than such a man, who will suffer unrelenting misogynistic attacks her entire career, will not ultimately prevail.

It’s cynical I know, but the hardest thing for me to accept is that I was told over and over as a child/young adult that you can do anything you put your mind to. I wish I had been warned that life isn’t always so rosy and that this is a fact of life for many women. What these predators in academia (and everywhere else) do is so practiced it’s no wonder they get away with it, over and over again. They understand rape culture and how to use it to their advantage.

I have a lot of sympathy for someone like Gretchen Carlson, because I see a lot of parallels between her experience and mine.

I think I’m losing the plot a little. Thanks again for all your kind words and support. I’m actually oddly functional IRL, I think I’m just really good at compartmentalising.

numerobis

Moocow: Indeed. Amazing as in amazingly bad as in actually not amazing at all, just bad. English is funny sometimes.

The fact that these conversations are happening with a fairly broad audience gives me hope for a better tomorrow.

Twenty (oh shit… 21) years ago I got to college and somehow got a reputation as a good listener — it shocked me given how antisocial I’d been in high school, but hey, I was a teenager hungry for acceptance so I embraced it and practiced listening. In confidence I was told plenty of stuff that mainstream culture ridiculed or blamed the victim. I was part of the laughing/blaming culture myself: see “hungry for acceptance” above.

Now, mainstream culture still ridicules and victim-blames, but there seem to be a much louder undercurrent of alliance, support, help, and condemnation.

That or I’m just older and wiser, and the web has allowed me to create a bubble where the sound is loud.

Kat
Kat

@The Adjunct, @Cranelady

You’ve been through some very difficult experiences. I wish you all the best in the days ahead.

Kat
Kat

@steampunked

That is terrific! (And I’ve never heard of something that is hard work being called self-indulgent. Damn, you’re a hard worker!)

Yeah, women have always been farmers. But in the USA at least, women have been described as farmers for only about ten years. Before that, they were called farm wives. And don’t get me started on jokes about “the farmer’s daughter.”

Congratulations to all farmer-Mammotheers!

FoxKit
FoxKit

Hey, speaking of cars!

I’m doing a rebuild on my carburetor this week. Been doing a bit of a restoration job on my daily driver and she’s looking really nice.

comment image
comment image

She’s a ’78 Ford Fairmont with a 3.3L inline 6. Mostly stock but for the ’90 Mustang differential in the back. Been learning a lot working on her. Reupholstered the interior, replaced the fuel pump and the lines, redid most of the cooling system and all of the interior and exterior lights. She complains about the cold this time of year, but once she’s warmed up she handles amazingly well. Gas mileage isn’t terrible either.

comment image
comment image

Pie
Pie

@numerobis:

My point was that the ability to effectively delay “peak oil” forever is pretty much within our grasp, even in the absense of electric cars.

occasional reader
occasional reader

Hello.

Wait, you should give Doctor Colmaxhoffmann the benefit of the doubt, because s/he is going to provide the signatures of all the scientific articles, papers and thesis s/he had based his work (and the results he presents in his post) on.

S/he is collecting them from her/his paper, wait.

It must be somewhere under this heap of playgirl/boy magazines

Anytime soon…

By the way, s/he has a perfect white lab coat, that is enough prooves for you, people. And s/he does not see the reason s/he would give you the information on how and from where s/he redacted her/his work, or it will be stolen and someone will appropriate all her/his work ! Just believe her/him ! S/he is a misunderstood scientist, shunned by “mainstream” scientists who are all bought by Wom… Females/Jews/ISIS/Aliens (see how s/he is broadminded ? S/he is even allow you to pick which your biggest fear is) !

But i believe her/him, because i am the Pope.

On a more serious side, all my sympathies to the persons who went through hard times. I hope happiness will hit you soon enough.

Have a nice day.

Christina Nordlander
Christina Nordlander

@The Adjunct: I just wanted to say… what everyone else has said, really. They did not break you. You are stronger and more intelligent than they will ever be.

And while I’m not an entomologist, I find insects absolutely fascinating.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

I just kinda love how all these MGTOW post-apocalypse scenarios always involve women coming to them to beg for food and supplies, and in return, the Miggy-Toes get to FINALLY have control over us feeeemales and they’ll finally get the respect (read: subservience) they deserve! Complete with sexy tiems!

Because the Miggy-Toes would have to have some in the first place for women to beg for, and none of these dudes strike me as the “I’m going to learn a valuable survival skill” type. Especially if they’re complaining on the internet that women won’t touch their peens and women are going to cause the downfall of civilization because of lipstick.

And, as many here have pointed out on other post-apocolypse mastubatory fantasies, women aren’t going to put as much effort into their looks post-apocalypse.

We’re going to be gross. We won’t shower as often, we won’t shave our legs, we won’t wear deodorant or lipstick or jewelry.

No HB10s in the wasteland dudes.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Insects are wonderful and lovely. I was looking for “bug hug” animated gifs, but they were all drawings.

I did find this though

Lone Galtian Bootstrapper
Lone Galtian Bootstrapper

@Crane Lady

Yes yes yes yes yes.

The sad truth of activism is that you will have to choose between Expression vs Effect. As justified as your anger is, it often only entrenches the people you want to listen to you. It’s a sucky thing, but I feel it’s better to deal with the reality that most people are self-centred, lazy, averse to change and not good with criticism, than to fight this reality.

Snowberry
Snowberry

@Pie:

Um, yeah. “Peak oil” means “when we run out of oil” like “feminist” means “woman who wants to enslave and/or kill all men”. Or how “climate” means “weather”. Or how “toxic masculinity” means “men are poisonous”. Those darn anti’s sometimes succeed at denying people the language to properly talk about issues by changing the definitions in the eyes of the general public. I call that “defining the problem out of existence”.

In order to “delay peak oil forever” under the original definition we’d have to keep extracting more and more oil until we’re getting infinite amounts of oil per second.