alt-right anti-Semitism grandiosity irony alert literal nazis trump

Tila Tequila brings D-list celebrity glamour to Alt-Right conference in DC this weekend

Detail of Tila Tequila's Twitter header
Detail of Tila Tequila’s Twitter header

Tila Tequila is a bisexual former reality TV star of Vietnamese descent whose stage name incorporates the name of an alcoholic beverage made in Mexico. She’s also a Hitler-loving Alt-Right Trump fan who likes to joke about the Holocaust.

And so it’s perhaps less weird than it might seem at first glance that Tila spent the weekend at the annual National Policy Institute conference in Washington DC, a gathering of Alt-Rightists and fellow travelers, where she treated the attendees (and her Twitter followers) to Nazi salutes, anti-Semitic jokes, and an assortment of baffling pronouncements — ranging from an assertion that she’s an “alpha male” to a claim that she “willed Trump into [the] Presidency.”

Let’s take a look at some of Tila’s more, er, colorful Tweets from the convention.

It was a busy weekend for Tila, clearly, but she managed to find time for some anti-Semitic antics that she, at least, seems to have considered utterly hilarious.

She also posed with an assortment of Alt-Right personalities and fellow travelers, including “journalist” and beard-haver Chuck C. Johnson.

She lashed out at her critics:

And somehow managed to claim credit for Brexit and Trump’s electoral college win:

Apparently she’s taking lessons in reality-manipulation from Mike Cernovich and master persuader Scott Adams:

Given how this year has gone so far, I fully expect Donald Trump to name her to a cabinet position. Is there a Secretary of Delusional States?

Kat
Kat

Oops! Now I see that the New York Times article that I linked to reports on the same alt-right convention that is the subject of this discussion.

My bad.

But the New York Times article is a good story.

Acadia
Acadia

Isn’t Chuck autistic?

He claims he is, but I think he’s only claiming that because he thinks it gives him free reign to act like an asshole. It’s trendy to say you have Asperger’s or high-functioning autism so you can go out there on the internet and be a total douchecanoe with no consequences. Such behavior is so harmful to those of us actually on the spectrum.

As for Tila Tequila, she appears to be in serious need of some help. Her distressing behavior does suggest to me that she is facing mental issues, but I’m not going any further than that. I’m no mental health expert. I can only hope one day she realizes she needs to make a few changes in her life.

Michael Lindsay
Michael Lindsay

Being a shithead is not a mental illness!

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

@Michael : her behavior is a bit more complicated than being a shithead. She can have a problem *and* be a shithead at the same time, it’s not mutually exclusive.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Ohlmann

But we don’t know that she does. That’s the point.

Kevin
Kevin

Looks like a case of too much of the cactus juice she took her stage name from…

Michael Lindsay
Michael Lindsay

If evidence of actual mental illness presents itself then that would be the time to start factoring that into an analysis of her behavior. Until then, “being a shithead” is quite sufficient in it’s explanatory power for being jokey about genocide and being an alt-right troll.

And being an asshole is all I’m seeing from Tila.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

That’s just the thing, there seems to be evidence. It doesn’t change much to the asshole thing, of course. But it adds some perspective regarding how nazis won’t hesitate to use vulnerable people to further their own rhetoric. It also means that we should be careful mocking her for the outlandish things she said (like the alpha male thing). It absolutely doesn’t mean we shouldn’t call her out on the more “usual” nazi stuff though.

On a somewhat related note, I’m surprised that she seems to have escaped the slut-shaming. Paris Hilton recently came out as a Trump voter and the usual assholes literally said “all is forgiven” in a DS post entitled “Whore’s Homecoming”. If that doesn’t make it to top example for “backhanded” in every new dictionnary edition from now on, I don’t know what will.

PreuxFox
PreuxFox

Some of the comments today are pretty yikes. I think this is the only thing I’ll contribute to this convo.

I am diagnosed psychotic and have similar beliefs to ms. tequila regarding reality manipulation, so (@Sinkable John) if the alt right is taking advantage of her, then the extreme left is taking advantage of me.

The reality is that having unusual beliefs (or delusions, however you want to refer to them, I’m not gonna fight about it) doesn’t get in the way of us developing political opinions, including reprehensible ones like hers, all on our own. We are perfectly capable of being full-on racist a**holes just like people who are lucid 100% of the time. We aren’t naive fools being led around by the nearest person and parroting whatever they feed us, as the media and many people seem to believe.

iskadrow
iskadrow

@calmdown and re: the article by Scott Alexander:

I’ve recently been re-reading a book. Milton Mayer’s, “They Thought They Were Free.” It’s basically an attempt to make sense of Nazi Germany, aided by extensive interviews with a number of petty bourgeois in Königsberg. However, the chapter that stuck most with me – “But Then It Was Too Late” – was a recollection of a conversation Mayer had with an academic who tried to make sense of how things could have gone as they did. By happy coincidence, it seems like I am not the only one to think of it as the most important part of the book, since the University of Chicago Press decided to excerpt it on their website:

In the university community, in your own community, you speak privately to your colleagues, some of whom certainly feel as you do; but what do they say? They say, ‘It’s not so bad’ or ‘You’re seeing things’ or ‘You’re an alarmist.’

“And you are an alarmist. You are saying that this must lead to this, and you can’t prove it. These are the beginnings, yes; but how do you know for sure when you don’t know the end, and how do you know, or even surmise, the end? On the one hand, your enemies, the law, the regime, the Party, intimidate you. On the other, your colleagues pooh-pooh you as pessimistic or even neurotic. You are left with your close friends, who are, naturally, people who have always thought as you have.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Moocow,

My phone is an asshole about pasting things on this site, but if you look up Lee Atwater southern strategy on YouTube it should be one of the first results. He says it very clearly. Don’t play it out loud anywhere but home though. There are racial slurs.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Speaking of D-list celebrity alt-rightists:

I know there’re a few JonTron fans here, and, uh… I have some bad news.

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

I’ve described Scott Alexander as “the Young-Earth Creationist of social studies” before, and it keeps on getting more and more true. He’s absolutely convinced that he is right and that mainstream academia must therefore be entirely wrong, to the point of crowing loudly over every anomalous data point. This leads him to absurdities of motivated reasoning like this one, in which he argues that the only racists are KKK members and /pol/ posters.

Sadly, he writes wittily and readably, which means there are a whole lot of people out there who are going to end up persuaded by it.

Cynical Optimist
Cynical Optimist

@SFHC

Anybody got a screaming gif? I’m only equipped with my phone at the moment.

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy

@Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

comment image

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Frustrating news here regarding online harassment. Body positive activist Stina Wollter had her Instagram account shut down. She would post pictures and video clips of herself dancing fully clothed and in various states of undress, within the boundaries of community guidelines. In reply, obviously she received a million dick pics. Her response was to just return the dick pics to the senders. For this, she was reported and had her account shut down for “harassing” other users by sending dick pics. Can’t make this shit up.

enjolra
enjolra

Remember that time Tila Tequila manipulated reality so much that she got pelted with human excrement by a bunch of Juggalos?

Ellesar
Ellesar

I don’t think this is going to end well for TT, esp if she wants to retain custody of her child.

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

@IP:
Thanks for sharing that story. I… I am not okay with that. I am really, really not okay with that.

Holytape

I once met a native-American who was a neo-nazi. He just didn’t get that he would have been head to the ovens if the Nazis would have won. He didn’t think he would because he wasn’t a jew. Didn’t realize that being not-white was also important.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

@IP & EJ

Vomitous but not surprising, unfortunately. Remember when Facebook did the exact same thing to Clementine Ford?

Frankly, I’m half-expecting Facebook et al to just give up the pretense and ban being an open feminist before the year’s out. That’s clearly what they want.

Hu's On First
Hu's On First

Holy tape:

His name wasn’t Jeff Weise, by any chance?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ holytape

The Nazis categorised the Sioux as ‘honorary aryans’ for some reason. Hitler generally though admired the Americans’ treatment of the Indians and saw it as a model for his plans for parts of Europe. But then later Goebell’s intimated that if the Indians engaged in an uprising the Nazis would support them. But of course consistency has never been a Nazi strongpoint.

HawkAtreides, on the floor again with a head full of rain
HawkAtreides, on the floor again with a head full of rain

@SFHC

Facebook’s policies are certainly applied in such a way that targets of harassment are burdened far more than their harassers, not to mention being applied unevenly for even the same content. Whether or not they intend to ban progressive speech, that’s the effect – groups coordinating to harass others are given pass after pass while their critics get 30-day suspensions for reposting the group’s content for the purposes of criticism. People explicitly threatening bodily harm to LGBT users get shrugged off, but their critics get hit with spurious “real name” reports. It’s a complete Bizarro World method of handling community policy, and even if the intent is not retaliatory, it certainly feels that way with the fact that vocal critics of Facebook’s refusal to crack down on harassment are the ones being hit with the suspensions and bans.

Nequam
Nequam

@Cynical:

comment image

A YouTube clip might not be what you need, but this one’s good:

Nequam
Nequam

@Alan: It may have been because Hitler was overly fond of Karl May’s Westerns. (I have also heard the idea that someone important in the Party was found to have Amerindian ancestry…)

The Real Cie
The Real Cie

I guess I can still be surprised. Today I discovered that Tila Tequila is an even worse person than I thought she was.

Kobun37
Kobun37

Ok, I’m a bit late to the party but I have to say the mental image of Richard Spencer and his Nazi buddies getting their comeuppance from the protesters made me laugh my ass off. I wish I could have been there.

I hope it happens every time those wastes of skin try to get together in public. They might think they’ve won, but we’re not going to idly sit by while the fascists take over.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

Update: A total of 3 Bills were printed due to scale being a tricky mistress to figure out. But I got one that’s a size I like! Just need a chain or particularly hospitable piece of thread.

Also, I was correct in predicting that time needed seems to increase exponentially. 3.0 scale Bill took 4 minutes. 6.0 scale Bill took 17 minutes. 12.0 scale Bill (final product) took 55 minutes.

Bina

So’d I, and yup. He saw Jews as parasites out to destroy the world (sound familiar?). Never mind that there was a genocide of First Peoples on this continent. No, the problem wasn’t Whitey McAnglo trying to wipe him out, or Hitler following McAnglo’s lead…it was TEH JOOOOOOOOS! Who never expressed the slightest interest in anything of the sort, outside of the Likudniks in Israel maybe, doing the same to the Palestinians.

This onion is just ironies all the way down.

(Also: Now would be a good time to go back and read Mother Night, and find the passage about the cuckoo-clock in Hell.)

Ooglyboggles

@ Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Another one on my “list of people that disappoint me with their unbridled bigotry.”
@Bina
One thing that makes me laugh with these uncle Tom/Chan/etc. types is when they oh so boldly claim they’d lay down their lives in a blaze of glory or would be fine with having themselves and their country people die for the good of the empire. They’re cowards at heart and would flee at the first sign of danger. “They didn’t know” is the mantra for gun dicks first questions never.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Alan

Nothing inconsistent there at all. A tactical decision to help your enemy’s enemies if it’s convenient doesn’t at all mean they’re not your enemies too, just lower priority.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

I know there’re a few JonTron fans here, and, uh… I have some bad news.

Are you telling me…Jon “JonTron” Jafari fucking did an interview for Breitbart?? About people trusting the media??

Jon Jafari did an exclusive interview for Breitbart??

comment image

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ dalillama

A tactical decision to help your enemy’s enemies

Yeah, not unlike what the Brits did during the American revolution or even the promises made to black soldiers by the Union in the civil war.

And I very much doubt those promises would have been kept either. But a trail of broken promises is pretty much the Indian experience.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

I’m still…I’m still hung up on the JonTron thing.

Did he not peruse the website before hand? Did he just blindly say yes to an interview with a random website? Did he not hear in the news that the owner is a fucking nazi?

What. The. Fuck. Is. Going. Oooooooooon??

Ooglyboggles

@ Handsome “Punkle Stan” Jack

What. The. Fuck. Is. Going. Oooooooooon??

Everyone you like is literally a nazi sympathizer. You would think I am joking but frankly that’s been that’s been my reality for alot of people. Wow, you know the world is fucked when the Nostalgia Critic, a guy who repeatedly fucked over and abused his employees alongside his abusive brother and attack dog Mike Michaud, at the very least isn’t a neonazi sympathizer.

Cynical Optimist
Cynical Optimist

@Nequam

Yeah, those about sum up my reaction to the news.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

@Ooglyboggles
comment image

I just…I just wanna listen to a cover of Katy Perry’s “Firework” and watch biannual videos by a guy named Jon Jafari and not have to deal with the fact he fucking gave nazis and exclusive interview, man.. That’s all I ask, man. That’s all I ask.

It’s all I ever wanted.

At least I got some GOOD news today involving an inanimate object of a senitent one-eyed triangle who wanted to destroy a dimension with weirdness and mentally abused at least two characters from a cartoon show. And wasn’t a fucking nazi.

BlackBloc
BlackBloc

Tia Tequila is not being mentally ill. She’s putting forward the exact ideology that nazis have always had, which is an extreme form of philosophical idealism, that an iron will triumphs over mere physical matter (hence the title of the Leni Riefenstahl movie).

And that sort of crap is not new to America, you can think of The Secret and zillions of self-help gurus to add to the mix. And it’s no surprise that the sort of people who are celebrities, and therefore used to having the universe fulfill all their whims, could mistake correlation for causality and assume their whims generated their material wealth and power rather than their wealth and power being that which allows their whims to be fulfilled at will.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Who the heck is JonTron?

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

I have every sympathy for Thien “Tila Tequila” Nguyen if she’s gone through mental health issues. I wouldn’t wish that upon anyone. That said, having medical issues is not mutually exclusive with being a Nazi.

(Also, on her bisexuality, am I out of line if I find her treatment of it distastefully exploitative? What is the hive mind opinion on that?)

BlackBloc
BlackBloc

This bi man says “you can say that again”.

IIRC her first season ended with the very predictable “sorry babe gotta get me a man for an actual relationship, but I enjoyed all the wild stuff we did” storyline that everybody who knows anything about media depiction of bi people could have seen coming a mile away. (It’s a phase, it’s all about sex, bla bla bla.)

Personally I think the contestants would have been better off pairing with one another instead of fighting each other for a shot at the host, but what do I know?

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Unfortunately, I doubt it’s a mistake, since he was already a #Gater and all.

Hey, since you know way more about the non-gross stuff he’s done than I do: What’s the story behind that picture of him in the tweet thread dressed as an SS officer? Was it just for a sketch, or what? o_O

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

On Trump’s attempt’s to speak Hindi: Jimmy Kimmel played the ad to a number of native Hindi speakers to see if they could figure out, through his incredibly thick accent, what Trump was trying to say.

“I am a naan bread”

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

I totally LOLed at the “seig heil” in one of Tila’s tweets. It’s a gem on par with “Trump supporter blocks your cat on Twitter”.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

Unfortunately, I doubt it’s a mistake, since he was already a #Gater and all.

…I didn’t know that.

Sigh.

Yeah, I think it was from his recent review of The Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf. It was a bit about something or other, like, five seconds on screen at most so I don’t remember it exactly. It wasn’t that funny, to be honest. The Elsa one from Disney Bootlegs was better.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@EJ(TOL)
Yes, I’m very much getting a ‘bi for the benefit of male gaze’ vibe here.