kitties YouTube

Ten Hour Beach Sunset vs Big Cats in Boxes: An Open Thread Video Showdown

Sorry, folks. I migrained out today. (Headache seems to be fading now.) So how about an open thread? And a VIDEO SHOWDOWN? Vote for your favorite below!

VOTE! Unlike the real elections last week, there is no wrong choice here, and the results will not cause you to curl up in a fetal position on your bed for a week!

Kat
Kat

Don’t fall for this scam, Mammotheers — this is a trick question!

Clearly, both videos are the best!

Can’t live without kitties — or we humans get the Black Plague.

Can’t live without oceans or sunsets — or we humans, uhhh, don’t wanna think about it.

In summary, David, I’m glad to hear that the migraine is easing. I hope that you’re at 100 percent very soon!

ETA: The ocean at sunset is a scene of Baker Beach, the San Francisco nude beach. I was there (once). Oh yeah.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Ouch, not a great showing for vid #1 so far.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

Ouch, not a great showing for vid #1 so far.

That’s because it’s 10 hours and doesn’t have cats.

Viscaria
Viscaria

@Jack, oh I hear ya. I’m firmly in the adorable-large-felines-with-incredibly-apt names camp. I just kind of feel bad for vid #1 for being so completely routed, even though it is inanimate and cannot know how it is performing in this competition.

Kat
Kat

This thing is rigged! I voted for both videos!

#AUDITTHISEFFINVOTE

ETA: Oops, never mind. *Slinks away quietly*

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

This thing is rigged! I voted for both videos!

The only people that voted for both are just doing it out of pity for the ocean one.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

OT: Anyone heard of Dunc’s AlgoMusic?

Croquembouche of patriarchy
Croquembouche of patriarchy

Kitties or beach?
I vote both.
ETA: Kitty swims with puppas.

gijoel
gijoel

I’ll just leave this lion around.

Tovius
Tovius

I wondered where this image came from.
comment image

dikdik
dikdik

Big Cat Rescue is great. They are a gift to this planet.

Fun fact: Snow Leopards are not soft 🙁 but Lynx are crazy soft!

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Lynx wins obvs…

Songs drop:
(chill beat)
(best song in a game fulla awesome songs)
(the whole new album is fantastic)

Shadowplay
Shadowplay

Big Kitties in Boxes. It’s fun, cute and doesn’t make me seasick.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Wow, you guys are fast! I’m only three hours into the beach video so far. Will vote when I’ve seen both videos!

Belladonna "Toxic Hag"

I didn’t watch the videos. I just voted for the kitties based on the first frame or whatever it is that shows up without pushing play. Typical uninformed voter, here.

Ledasmom
Ledasmom

I had already seen the kitty video, and voted for it on the basis that no damn natural phenomenon was gonna be awesomer than that.
Oh, and the other day at work I finally got to meet the cat I’ve been in love with ever since I saw his name in our records. The name? Bob Stripe! For some reason, to me that’s the best cat name ever, and the cat lives up to it: he’s a sixteen-pound-plus behemoth, not fat but huge, with a torn ear from when he used to go outside. I doubt he had much to worry about from predators; I suspect he ate predators. Not the friendliest cat, but Bob Stripe does not have to be friendly. If he does not devour you, you should be grateful.
And his name keeps running through my head with backing music by Wang Chung: Everybody Bob Stripe tonight!

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy

Kat
Kat

@IP
I’d already seen the beach at sunset in person. So I watched only nine hours of that, and then I watched the whole cat video. Then I voted.

Easy peasey.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Story from Swedish news – a case study in misogyny Nice Guy TM style.
CN: harassment, stalking

A 70 year old man has been convicted of harassing a woman for more than 40 years!

The two had only met in person once, in the early 1970s when the woman accepted a request for one dance. Afterwards, they parted ways and never saw each other again. However, the man somehow managed to figure out where she lived, and he started to send her letters. Sample of things he wrote:

“You wouldn’t regret it if you were to choose me”

“This letter is a marriage proposal.”

“This is serious. If you won’t do as I tell you, you’ve shown yourself to be immature and childish.”

“We’ve always liked each other, haven’t we?”

“I would love to get in contact with you. Do you have any suggestions, sexy?”

“You’ve ruined women for me. I can’t find anyone who’s good enough!”

“When do you want me to come pick you up and bring you to my place? ANSWER ME.”

The woman, who is now in her 60s, has never replied to any of these letters. She’s simply collected them so that she could build a case against the harasser. At one point (it’s not clear exactly when) she filed a police report, but the investigation didn’t go anywhere. While the investigation was active, the man sent another letter saying:

“I think you should retract your statement to the police. You need to humble yourself to me. You know I’m right.”

Afterwards, the harassment just continued exactly as before.

“Why are you afraid? You can move in with me and I’ll save you, and then you won’t need to be afraid anymore. These are love letters, not threats! I’m sending you marriage proposals!”

“I’m retired now, just so you know. I know you’re older now too, but we don’t need to talk about that!”

“Hey slut, how are you? I’m doing great!”

Over the years, the woman has moved several times but her stalker always found her new address. After receiving seven letters between March and June this year, the woman reported the harassment again. This time he was convicted of sexual harassment. When asked why he kept sending so many letters, he claimed that since he never got any reply he assumed the letters hadn’t reached the woman.

His explanation as to why he kept trying to contact the woman despite having been reported to the police, he said:

“I don’t know. I guess it was a bad idea. It just happened. I just felt like I wanted to do it.”

In the end, the man was fined about $850, and the woman was awarded $550 in damages.

The message is, of course, that if you stalk and harass a woman for her entire adult life, you will receive a minor fine.

Skiriki
Skiriki

@Imaginary Petal

Wait but this is Sweden, so he wasn’t locked up for life and done god-knows-what-awful-things as a punishment?!

Has that so reliable-and-well-sourced professor of law lied to us!? :O

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Skiriki

Seems like it! I guess if he had ever gotten into an elevator with the woman, it would’ve been a different story.

Viscaria
Viscaria

IP, that’s bloody awful. And I bet it won’t be long until the letters start up again

“You’ve ruined women for me. I can’t find anyone who’s good enough!”

I have not been persistently stalked for 40 years, but I have had a man say something sort of similar to this to me once. His fiancée had died 3 or 4 years prior, and he’d decided he didn’t want to be with anyone else.* Then he met me. “You’re the first and only woman I could ever be with, after her.” Implication being, you are obligated to sex me up, because otherwise I won’t get to have sex, and that’s unacceptable.

*At least that was his claim. For all I know, he said this to every pair of breasts he met.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Sounds like my sister’s ex, Viscaria. The whole “Love at first sight” and “I’ll never be with anyone ever again mope mope sad sad” gives me the creepies.

(And the angries, because he was also sharing photos of himself out at parties on facebork at the time, and yeah, he didn’t look so unable-to-feel-anything-but-endless-pain there…)

Viscaria
Viscaria

Love at first sight = I think looks are the only part of a woman that matter.

kupo
kupo

@David
Migraines are the worst. I wanted to say I really appreciate this blog. Without it, I don’t think I would understand the shitstorm that’s happening right now with Trump or how deep the neo-nazi sentiment goes on the right. Thank you so much for everything.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Love at first sight = I think looks are the only part of a woman that matter.

Also,

Love at first sight = love is about ownership.

Moocow

Heh, seems nobody picked dares pick sunset over kitties!

I’d like to share how I’ve been. I’ve had a really annoying year because one of my 2 jobs has me working for someone who openly supports Trump and quite a few of the students I teach parrot the things their Trump-supporting parents tell them. It uses up so much of my mental/emotional and when a kid says “Hillary has more scandals than Trump” I can’t let that go unchallenged.

I’ve also had some personal, say, quarter life crisis. Now that I’ve come to realize the world is a lot more… unstable than I had imagined, I’m trying to figure out who I am exactly and what it is that I’m looking for in relationships.

I also had to take a break from this blog, it was becoming overwhelming, although I would still skim the articles when I was bored. But it’s nice to be back! I’m also been working on making my own blog (bought a domain name! http://www.vgstoryreviews.com is mine! :D) where I can host my video reviews and make blog posts like: ‘Why Time Travel is such a prevalent theme in video games’ or ‘what video games can teach us about the human condition’

Oh yeah, and I have a Gravatar now. Or at least I set one. How long does it usually take to show up?

@Visceria @Scildfreja

Add that to the pile of “thinks that are supposed to be romantic but are actually hella creepy/sexist/abusive”

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Viscaria

Ugh. I personally haven’t had any stalkers/mopers, but women in my immediate vicinity have. My ex had some dude from her dorm get hung up on her for a while. He kept sending her weed in the mail, thinking it would eventually change her mind about him.

My wife had a creepy dude harass her for years, in a sort of low level way. They had hooked up a few times a year or so before I met her, and it turned out he had used a fake name and was married. Otter found out when the wife called her to yell on the phone. After that, the wife tried to contact Otter through facebook several times, hoping she would tell more details about the affair. The guy kept sending creepy messages at the same time. She blocked them both, but the guy made a number of sock accounts so he could keep sending her a message on her birthday every years. This went on for five or six years. Then his wife messaged Otter again to ask if she could help out in the divorce proceedings. Again, Otter blocked them. Now it seems like they’ve finally got the message.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

It’s rigged. Nobody would’ve voted for the beach alone.

So I got up at 3pm, meh. Hash (especially the crappy stuff I got) isn’t always enough to make me sleep, and after nearly two months without insomnia my body is like “yeah look nah, you’ve had your sleep, let’s start screwing your whole schedule over again”.

I’m actually considering moving to America because legal and easily accessible weed. Does that outweigh the incoming fascist regime ? I don’t know. But I got a good opportunity to go and steal yer jerbs : translations. In France, being fluent in English only brings you so far, there’s a lot of competition (and they’re a bunch of wankers whom I want nothing to do with), but being fluent in French while in the US ? Might work a lot better.

I dunno. Plus we got out own fascistoid here, closer than ever to becoming the first woman president of this country… the main difference with Trump is that she’s actually competent. Probably scarier too.

kupo
kupo

@John
Trump is very anti-marijuana so those of us in legal states are a little worried about that but not sure what he could do since it’s already federally illegal.

As for jerbs, you might be able to find some work in localization, translation, or phone support. I used my extremely poor, barely passable French to get a phone support job that I otherwise was not the best candidate for, but that company has since stopped directly hiring for foreign language skills and now only offers temp positions for that kind of work (entry level, at least–it’s still possible to get hired, just a lot more difficult). Localization at that company was always direct hire, but harder to get.

@Moocow
I am really glad you’ve been around! I always ultimately end up having to take a break from all things involving internet interaction since I tend to do everything I do obsessively. 🙁

@Sinkable John

but being fluent in French while in the US

Ça m’a pas aidée. Your mileage may vary. Your French is likely much better than mine, especially since mine is really rusty. But I’d venture to say that while there may be a lot more competition in France, it’s also important to remember that Americans often don’t think they should have to translate anything. There are some global companies that do some localization, of course. And a few companies who work with Québecois. I interact with Québecois in MMOs from time-to-time, and they often tell me I say funny French things.

Marine Le Pen, though, would surely be another bright moment for enlightenment!

Margot
Margot

With regards to big cats:

Dalillama
Dalillama

@John

but being fluent in French while in the US ? Might work a lot better.

Vraiment, ce n’est pas la cas.

Maybe try BC; in Vacncouver it’s not actually legal but it’s very hard to get in trouble for it, and you can duck down to Washington state to actually buy some. You’re probably more likely to be able to monetize your French skills in Canada too.
@Belladonna

Ça m’a pas aidée.

Moi non plus.

@Dali
😀 Combien de francophones y a-t-il ici?

sparkalipoo
sparkalipoo

@Moocow

I’ve had a similar problem with students telling me their frankly kind of dumb opinions about how Trump is so great and at times either me or one of my coworkers will point out how their arguments are weak but sometimes I feel as stuck as you do

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

j’suis pas francophone mais je me débrouille.

Sinkable John est français, par contre.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

je sais seulement un p’tit peu d’français :s

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

Voir la course de chiens. Le chien court vite. Courir, chien, courir!

comment image

I can read children’s books in French.

@Jack

I can read children’s books in French.

lol. Considering that Le Petit Prince is arguably the best children’s book ever written in any language, that’s not a bad start! 😉

I’m also extremely fond of Le Petit Nicolas books.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Being French/English bilingual opens up a lot of opportunities in Canada, particularly – but by no means exclusively – in Quebec. I don’t know about the immigration requirements, though. And you’d have to deal with a different accent, but that probably shouldn’t be a problem for you at all unless under that incredibly nice and thoughtful exterior you’re secretly a snob (doubtful).

Moocow

@sparkalipoo

Good on your for pointing it out. It’s a delicate situation to be in…

I should also point out, parents are not the sole source of their ill-informed and naive opinions. I know for a fact some of these kids are learning their hate online.

@Belladona

Thanks! I’m like that too, when I come upon a new hobby I get pretty obsessive. I love that the internet exists, makes it easy to learn skills quickly.

Jesalin
Jesalin

I wanted to go into French Immersion when I was in elementary school. My mother said nope, nuh-uh, not happening. Her only reason was…I might call her names in French and she wouldn’t know what I was saying..

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@moocow,

Let us know when you start posting stuff on your blog! I has it bookmarked in anticipation XD

@everyone,

I have a compromise for the vote here, which also relates to some comments above: A FRENCH KITTEN AT THE BEACH. You are welcome.

@Jesalin
Oh holy Jesus Mary Joseph. That’s not earning my vote for parent of the year award. OTOH I had my own failings in that respect. When my daughter was around 8 months old, I decided I should start speaking French to her. She was preverbal, but she gave me this look like “What in the world is wrong with you?” And I gave up.

@Mish
Awesome minou video! I kept trying to figure out if I recognized the beach, but all I came up with was, well, it’s not Nice, since it has sand.

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy

Jesalin
Jesalin

@Belladonna

I could add several things more to that..but this isn’t a therapy group. Let’s just say that I’d hate her, except that A) I don’t believe she’s worth the energy that wold entail and B) I believe that real hate implies the existence (past or present) of love, and I have none for her.

Skiriki
Skiriki

OT:

I was sleeping soundly and then Didi jumped the bed and suddenly my toes were sinking into soft kittyfur and I startled awake. And now I can’t sleep. Boo.

@Jesalin
I really get angry when I hear about queer/trans folk who don’t have family support.What the fuck is the matter with people? But it sounds like your mom must have been a real shitbag even outside of that. I’m really sorry for whatever you’ve been through, and I really hope you have found your real family!

Also, just in case you actually did want to share anything, I’d be happy to listen.

Jesalin
Jesalin

@Belladonna

I have my partner (of 14 years this past Sept), it’s her support that keeps me going, and her family is pretty good too.

As far as my mother goes, it’s complicated in it’s own way and I’ve already summed up my feelings towards her. In her ‘defense’ (for lack of me thinking of a more suitable term), she was abused by her parents, physically, mentally and emotionally. I do have respect for her, she managed to break the cycle…mostly. She never physically abused me, nor was she mentally abusive. Emotionally…well, it depends on your definition of abuse, but in all honesty, I doubt it was intentional. I grew up in an emotional black hole. I had no emotional support, nor did I ever get any kind of affection. To explain why I doubt it was intentional..she never had any emotional support and she was scared witless (as she told me after I moved out) that showing me affection would make other people think she was sexually abusing me. That’s a very brief overview without getting into specific incidents.

She does support my transition, in a rather loose sense of the word. (ETA: On the other paw, that’s now. I kept quiet about it when I was younger due to said emotional void).She’s not antagonistic and she does try to remember to use the right pronouns (although she frequently forgets). On the other hand she hasn’t bothered to educate herself either, so she’s pretty clueless as to the issues I have to deal with.

Skiriki
Skiriki

More OT:

Today’s tabletop RPG is gonna be fun with only couple of hours of sleep under my belt.

Then again, right now my character is tipsy and headed to battle without her weapons (but at least armored, since she’s a paladin and her chainmail is a part of her noble’s outfit), so I guess I’m in a right mindset for that kind of action.

I shall report more once the game is over.