trump

“Autocracy: Rules for Survival” Essential reading for everyone in Trump’s America

Maximum Leader Trump
Maximum Leader Trump

If there’s a part of you that still holds out hope that, for all his autocratic tendencies, Donald Trump will revert to a sort of political normality as president, you need to read Masha Gessen’s chilling but essential article “Autocracy: Rules for Survival” in The New York Review of Books.

Gessen, a journalist who has devoted much of her career to making sense of Russia under Vladimir Putin, offers a number of hard-won lessons for surviving in the autocracy that we may soon find ourselves living in here in the US.

The first and in some ways most important lesson for those still holding out hope for a more-or-less normal presidency:

Believe the autocrat. He means what he says. Whenever you find yourself thinking, or hear others claiming, that he is exaggerating, that is our innate tendency to reach for a rationalization. This will happen often: humans seem to have evolved to practice denial when confronted publicly with the unacceptable. Back in the 1930s, The New York Times assured its readers that Hitler’s anti-Semitism was all posture.

I think we’re going to have to suspend Godwin’s Law for the length of Trump’s presidency; the comparisons are simply too apt.

He has received the support he needed to win, and the adulation he craves, precisely because of his outrageous threats. Trump rally crowds have chanted “Lock her up!” They, and he, meant every word. … Trump has made his plans clear, and he has made a compact with his voters to carry them out. These plans include not only dismantling legislation such as Obamacare but also doing away with judicial restraint—and, yes, punishing opponents.

Gessen’s other rules:

Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality. Consider the financial markets this week, which, having tanked overnight, rebounded following the Clinton and Obama speeches. Confronted with political volatility, the markets become suckers for calming rhetoric from authority figures. So do people. …

Rule #3: Institutions will not save you. It took Putin a year to take over the Russian media and four years to dismantle its electoral system; the judiciary collapsed unnoticed. …

Rule #4: Be outraged. …  [I]n the face of the impulse to normalize, it is essential to maintain one’s capacity for shock. …

Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.

The final rule offers up a little bit of hope:

Rule #6: Remember the future. Nothing lasts forever. Donald Trump certainly will not, and Trumpism, to the extent that it is centered on Trump’s persona, will not either.

Gessen ends her piece with a call for “resistance—stubborn, uncompromising, outraged.” Thousands of Americans are already taking to the streets in cities across the country to let the world know that Trump — who after all lost the popular vote — is not their president. He’s not mine either. We need to join those in the streets — literally, figuratively, or both — to make clear we don’t want, and won’t stand for, Putinism in the United States.

Ooglyboggles

@Belladonna
I’m with you there. Reminder that Bernie helped Clinton and in turn Clinton decided to drop over complicated meritocracies, and guess what those Bernie Supporters did? They let Trump win, and Bernie cried, actually fucking cried knowing the guy who is the exact opposite of his beliefs became president. They let Bernie Sanders down and he fucking cried at how the American people he kept trying to move forward with let this happen.

If that isn’t more evidence that they when it comes down to it they weren’t for the people, it’s now. They won’t feel a thing under Trump, I bet a good chunk of them are upper middle class Caucasians who would have nothing to lose no matter who won. Trump’s tax cuts for the most part won’t harm them, but for everyone else they will cry and bemoan. Would they then try to help and aid? I have feeling the answer is “hell no.”

On another note I’m still going to be livid at the DNC for losing to Donald Fucking Trump and the entire GOP in every possible way. Seriously just get out, you’ve all proven how much of a collective failure you all are and should take a sabbatical to realize why you all lost to the least liked presidential candidate in history. Make no mistake I despise Trump several magnitudes more, this is just a “I hate you all for failing and being so ignorant that even now you all still believe your passiveness is somehow going to save us from hell in a handbasket.”

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

So here it is. Is anyone besides me nearly as sick of Bernie supporters who are gleefully and smugly crowing “I told you so” as they are of the Trump supporters?

Okay, I haven’t been around any Bernie Bros, at least not since the election, so, like, why.

What is it that they told? That Trump would win? What is it that they said that is true?

Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy
Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy

Speaking as an erstwhile Bernie supporter, let me say: Fuck Bernie-or-busters and Berniebros and these “Bernie Gloaters”. I echo @Jack’s query: What is their “so” in “I told you so”? The three groups whose fucking I wished for contributed to the rise of T.H.O. Groper by concocting conspiracy theories about the DNC rigging the nomination in favour of Hillary, and Mr Groper eagerly leapt upon the germinating “Crooked Hillary” narrative, because it played nicely into his anti-establishment shtick. Thus, they empowered a greater evil by spurning a lesser evil and let down him after whom they are nicknamed. They should be feeling profoundly crappy about themselves. I know I would be.

dreemr
dreemr

I believe they said that Bernie could beat Trump, and that Hillary couldn’t.

Belladonna
Belladonna

@Kupo and Ooglyboggles
Thank you. Expressing my anger always makes me afraid and your support made me cry. Bernie crying while his supporters gloat somehow seems so a propos of this entire time, somehow. And yeah, the GOP sucks and the DNC failed spectacularly, somehow, and it’s all just bad.

@Jack
The common themes are these (I’m sorry if I’m oversimplifying them): During the primaries, polls showed Bernie would have beaten Trump by a large margin. Polls didn’t show Clinton beating Trump by such a large margin. Thus, Bernie would have won. The corrupt DNC pushed the deeply flawed candidate Hillary Clinton on us anyway, even though we all hated her. She lost and we told you she would. Bernie was also an “anti-establishment” candidate who could have stood against Trump. Trump is going to be president and it’s all your fault because Bernie didn’t win the primaries. Y’all got what you deserved for not listening to us, because we knew better. We voted for Stein or didn’t vote and you should have seen it coming because Hillary sucked. Hillary said she didn’t need us, but maybe she did.

You know, I know Bernie had a very different platform and I truly understand its appeal. But I can’t help also noticing that Bernie is a man. *sigh* More analysis needed.

Anyway, after a couple of decades of being unaffiliated, I’m thinking of registering GOP. If democracy survives the next four years, I could vote for the Republican candidate I think is the least odious in the primaries and then vote democratic in the national election.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Belladonna
There aren’t words, in this language or any other, powerful enough to express my disdain for (some) Bernie supporters

Anyone who minimized Clinton’s primary voters as ‘conservative, low information Southerners’. Fuck you
Anyone who told Clinton supporters that they were voting against their interests, so lemme condescend to you your priorities. Fuck you
Anyone who complained about superdelegates until they were your last hope to snatch the nomination away from Clinton. Fuck you
Anyone who went on and on about those fuckin ‘head to head polls’ as if they wouldn’t be obsolete once the smear machine started. Fuck you
Anyone who claimed the media, the DNC, the banksters or whoever else rigged a damn thing, cos ya couldn’t fathom losing. Fuck you
Anyone who dismissed the danger of a Trump presidency cos you thought Congress would stop him. Fuck you
Anyone who said they were voting 3rd party on behalf of minorities, while ignoring the minority voices screaming not to. Fuck you
Anyone who bought into the emails or called her a criminal or excused ‘locker room talk’. Fuck you
Anyone who’s convinced that the ‘Communist Zionist’ woulda won in a Murica where Jews are hiding mezuzot for fear of violence. Fuck you
And anyone who finds scared people facing a uniquely inhospitable world and mocks them to get their jollies. Fuck you especially

I know who and what you are. I know why. I’m angry but not surprised. I won’t forget y’all, and I won’t let anyone else forget y’all either. Bigots get no quarter from me, no matter what ‘side’ you claim

/rant, and sorry, Bella. The hits just keep on coming 🙁

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

Ah, yes, and Bernie endorsing Clinton absolutely had no bearing on their opinion, of course. They’re just like the assholes who voted for Dump because he’s “anti-establishment”. They’d win whether or not Dump or Bernie got the vote because they don’t care about his actual policies or progress, just that he’s an “outsider” and not a sentient pile of trash like Donald.

I keep forgetting how much I hate brogressives. Because it’s a lot.

Hopefully we can rub it back in their faces if the electoral college pulls their head out of their asses and votes in Clinton.

Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy
Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy

@dreemr: Fuck them doubly then. They seem to think that their bragging rights are worth the rise of the Groper and his express desire (and that of his appointees) to undo all the social progress we’ve made since the turn of the century.

Also, I echo @Jack’s hatred of brogressives. They’re the opposite of the Rockefeller Republicans: whereas the latter were fiscally rightward and socially leftward, the former are fiscally leftward and socially rightward.

Ooglyboggles

@Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy
Brogressives; bottom line > minority lives

Belladonna
Belladonna

@Axe
Brilliant. For every item on your list, let me echo the “fuck you!”

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Bella
🙂

Kat
Kat

@David Futrelle

Following up on my earlier comment, what is your decision on Herbert West’s and Dan Kasteray’s comments?

I thought that they violated your “no violent comments” rule.

I understand these commenters’ frustration and dread — but am not sure that you’re okay with the way they express it.

I would’ve emailed you but I couldn’t locate your email address.

Thanks!

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Axe
As someone who far preferred Bernie’s platform, and would’ve much rather seen him as the Dem nominee, I must wholeheartedly endorse everything you just said.

Angry Since 11/09/2016
Angry Since 11/09/2016

I went from extreme anger to feelings of extreme sadness and despair. I can’t read the Internet anymore because of the hate from Trump supporters and seeing how Americans are being treated for wearing hijabs, being of color or being women. I feel exactly the way I did after 9/11 except now the terrorists are people who live next door.

Thank you for being such a supportive and kind community. I was a lurker for years but now I just need to be with people who get it. Thanks also to all the wonderful people outside of the US who have been so kind and supportive. I really understand the value of being a part of the world, not just a part of a country.

Hugs for anyone who wants or needs them. I’m feeling pretty maudlin but somehow seeing this thread made me feel less alone.

Ooglyboggles

@Angry Since 11/09/2016
I’m glad we’re able to help you out there. For all its worth I’m pretty sure we’ll all be sticking around if you need any of us.

Angry Since 11/09/2016
Angry Since 11/09/2016

@Ooglyboggles
Thank you….I love your name btw. I’m ok, just incredulous and feeling alone. I live in the Deep South. I feel betrayed by my neighbors.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Dali
Agree, disagree, and I very much appreciate it 😀

kupo
kupo

@Kat
David’s email is dfutrell (at) gmail (dot) com.

joekster (Bearded Beta)
joekster (Bearded Beta)

@Bella: I know at least one person back in Nevada who joined the GOP in 1990 specifically so they could vote against Jim Gibbons (Nevada’s very conservative representative, then governor. Think mini-Trump-he even has his own sex scandals) twice every two years instead of once. It’s been done.

@Axecalibur: Echo what Dali said. I did prefer Bernie’s platform, but once Hillary adapted large portions of it and Bernie supported her, I transferred support to Hillary. I’d like to think I’d have done that even if the GOP had run someone less odious than Trump.

Agree with all the ‘fuck yous’. The berniebros need to accept responsibility for the Trump presidency we’re staring down the barrel of.

joekster (Bearded Beta)
joekster (Bearded Beta)

The morning after the election, one of my residency mates sent us the following quote from Trump in 1998:

‘If I were to run, I’d run as a Republican They’re the dumbest group of voters in the country. They believe anything on Fox News. I could lie and they’d still eat it up. I bet my numbers would be terrific’.

I’m not sure what to make of this, or even if it still reflects Trumps thinking 20 years later.

Any thoughts? (apologies if the quote has already been posted on these threads and chewed to death).

One question about the safety pin: does it count if I’m using it to keep my straight tie attached to my shirt so it doesn’t flap onto my patients? Or does it need to be located in a specific position to be recognized?

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ jokester

It’s a fake quote, he never actually said that. However rather like:

“Failure is not an option”

or

“I feel that all we have done is awaken a sleeping giant…”

he might as well have done.

joekster (Bearded Beta)
joekster (Bearded Beta)

@Alan: thanks. It did seem too good to be true.

kupo
kupo

@Joekster
The safety pin should be visible. The original idea was to come up with something easy to craft to pin to yourself in solidarity, and then someone else suggested just the safety pin itself would be good because it’s simple and has safety in its name. Know, however, that some people kind of see the safety pin as a way for white folks to think they’re helping while putting the onus on the victim to come to them. Plus once someone does something like this they might feel less like they need to help in more impactful ways.

Scoots
Scoots

I’m getting a little tired of the “fuck those Berniebros” comments. Hillary lost, we all lost, the next four years at least are going to be hellish, but it’s all the fault of those goddam Berniebros! And Berniegloaters!
Kick that dog!

Look, you can be as mad as you like at people who didn’t come around and support Hillary, as Bernie clearly told us to do. But if someone voted for Hillary, and supported Hillary, and drove around with a Hillary magnet on her car (and yes, I said HER car), that person has earned the right to say, “maybe next time we don’t do things this way. Maybe we don’t have candidates publicly lock down superdelegates months in advance. Maybe we don’t run a Third Way Democrat.” Etc.

It is probably too soon to say these things, when people are in so much distress. But when people are making the wrong choices for DNC chair and talking about running Tim Kaine next time, I think it’s fair to say, “uh, maybe not a winning strategy.”

And for heaven’s sake, we’re upset, too! I’m mad at Bernie supporters who didn’t follow his lead, and those who wrote in his name when he said “don’t,” or who voted for Jill Stein when the stakes were so high. I gotta live here too, y’know.

Signed, a survivor of childhood sexual abuse who is having flashbacks and losing hair over this and will not be anyone’s chew toy.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Scoots,

Bernie bros =/= all people who supported Bernie in the primaries. Many of us were Bernie supporters. We’ve made it clear we’re only talking about the ones who threw tantrums. What exactly are you mad about?

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

I totally agree, Scoots, and I’m really so sorry about your stress. Avoid caffeine, drink water, breathe slow and regular – especially while on a computer. People breathe funny when they’re on a computer for some reason, and it makes their adrenaline spike.

Many, many of us were Bernie supporters here – and still are. Hillary was never the perfect candidate. You can’t be in politics for 30 years and still be perfect. Bernie’s platform was better, and even though the DNC adopted many of its points at the convention, I was dubious that they’d follow through if they won. The real fight against corruption and corporatism is prolonged, difficult, tedious and unrewarding – voting Bernie in wouldn’t change that, and he knew that. He said that to us. The president can’t do that. The people have to.

We’re angry at the Bernie Bros – the guys who decided that if they couldn’t have Bernie, they’d vote to burn the whole thing down. They put an abstract, token “fight against the establishment” ahead of the safety and lives of millions of people. If you’re a regular reader, and I believe that you are, then you know how terrible that is, and I hope you’re mad at them, too.

We’re not mad at you, and certainly not mad at people who want Bernie’s dream to come true. We’re mad at the people who failed once, and instead of rolling up their sleeves and doing hard work, decided to light a dumpster fire instead.

I hope that helps you feel a little better, and I understand your frustration. I wince when I hear about how “bernie bros” are ruining everything, too.

richardbillericay
richardbillericay

Can’t help thinking the “consensus building” infrastructure initiative is unsettlingly reminiscent of Hitler kicking off his rule by building Autobahns. Is that another dog whistle?

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Scoots
It’s not my intention to make anyone a chewtoy. And I’m sorry about what you’re going thru. I truly am, and I hope you come out the other side… if not OK, then better. I’m rooting for you <3

That said:

maybe next time we don’t do things this way

What way should we do things then? I’m not miffed at Sanders supporters making suggestions. I’m miffed that some Sanders supporters think ‘I told you so, this is your fault’ is a suggestion. Foster Campbell for Senate, Keith Ellison for DNC Chair, Kamala Harris 2020. These are suggestions. So, I ask with no malice whatsoever, what do you suggest we do? No need to answer now, you have enough to deal with (sorry again). It’s just that gloating is the last thing we need right now

Also, what @Scildfreja said 🙂

Ooglyboggles

@Angry Since 11/09/2016
From what I’ve seen online there have been alot of people having the horrid realization that the people who were kind and close them did show that at the end of the day, their kindness is the closeminded sort. On another note thank you for the compliment on my name! It’s kind of silly, I can’t remember why I made that name up, but for some reason I keep thinking it might have been an important reason.

@Scoots
As someone who has ardently argued on behalf of Bernie to the point of coming off as a troll, and went through the efforts of phonebanking for him, yeah I understand. If you read the entire forums during the election you would be hard pressed to find anything that pins blame on Hillary’s failings her staffers. And on a personal note I am so glad you spoke out. I was hesitant to do so because I wondered if stating the failures of Clinton’s staffers and the DNC as a whole would come off as classic left cannibalism.

The people we’re talking about aren’t those who wanted Bernie in, or those who believed in his message, we’re talking about spiteful people who when they lost due to very poor decisions on the DNC’s part (let’s be real, acting like they were anything but incompetent the entire way is naive at best and being willingly ignorant at worst), they then decided to facilitate Trump’s victory. The people we’re talking about are those who basically decided to turn their backs against everything Bernie believed in, even after Bernie managed to get Clinton to turn left instead of traditional republican views. We have no quarrel with you, we have quarrel for those who valued their own spiteful self satisfaction over the welling of others.

Make no mistake we all hate the DNC for being the biggest losers in the history of the US, alongside their corporatist leanings and many missteps in the campaign. If the DNC was a cologne company and Clinton was their Brand, they failed to outmarket Trump, the Axe Body Spray of the political sphere. If that isn’t a particularly big sign that their political strategy is garbage and have no value to us the american people, nothing else will. You want the DNC to get booted out in favor of true progressives like Keith Ellison for DNC chairman, who has the backing of Warren and Bernie? We’re with you right there. You want the Democrats to actually be the party of the people and start getting ready to be the boulder in the GOP’s path to self immolation? We’re with you right there.

Hell I was plenty fucking pissed off when people started to pick Bernie supporters as their whipping boy as a way to avoid taking blame for their failures. Yes Hillary being a women was a major issue that brought her down, but I’m positive no one here would think that her campaign was exactly a near flawless one in terms of well, everything.

In short, continue to express that anger, it’s helpful in getting past the anti honeymoon phase of this election and getting into the “what went wrong, now how do we fix/mitigate it” phase.

@ richardbillericay
At this stage taking Trump’s word and assuming he means what he says is a good way to stay alive. Don’t mistake any form of normalcy that things are okay and alright.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

In my defense, my hate of Bernie Bros is pretty recent, and only for certain Bernie Bros.

Hell, I mean, I was 200% behind Bernie, I voted for him in the primaries, I thought the DNC was rigged, too, but I supported Clinton reguardless.

It’s the Bernie Bros that do I hate, the Ride or Die Bernie Bros who put their “principals” above common sense, above what Bernie wanted, above decency–oh, yes, there’s a certain hatred for the Bernie Bros that spread all sorts of misogynist memes about Clinton.

I mean, god forbid we’d have to deal with “more of the same” for a few more years. It’s not like people only have one shot at running for president. Bernie has even said recently he’s thinking of running again. It’s almost like people don’t have to be fuckheads and screw everyone over because they didn’t get what they want the first time.

But now Donald Dump is possibly going to be president with a goddamn anti-science, sexist, neo-nazi cabinet members. I hope those Bernie or Bust people really enjoy the “bust” part, if worst comes to worst and Donald Dump gets officially voted in. I hope they enjoy every second of it.

Skiriki
Skiriki

Correct me if I am wrong, but had Hillary been elected (well I guess she still might), couldn’t Bernie do the thing where she tells Hillary as a fellow Democrat “have you considered doing X” AND expected to have a reasonable convo with Hillary? Like, “Hillary goes well, that’s interesting, tell me more, or no, is there some other way to do it” and then they could talk about it like adults and have proper committees and what the fuck ever? Like politicians?

And correct me if I am wrong, but aren’t the chances of that kind of thing happening with Bernie and The Donald is so abysmally low, that I’m likely to be hit by a meteor, hit by lightning AND winning the lottery at the same time?

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

Oh, Skiriki, that’s not how it works! I mean, what president would appoint their party rival to a cabinet position where they may actually have some sort of powe–

Oh…

Oh wait.

Skiriki
Skiriki

Oh my, my lying eyes are telling me lies about Obama doing something nice for Hillary. What is this!?

sparkalipoo
sparkalipoo

@Dan Kasteray

I understand your anger. Sometimes when I can’t handle how horrible this world is and how horrible people can be sometimes I also have revenge fantasies. However, telling someone how to kill another person is not the most helpful thing. I think that a lot of people would not be able to kill another person if push comes to shove so any defense that depends on someone killing another person isn’t very reliable. Try to channel that anger and frustration into something helpful. If teaching you’re friend self defense would be helpful do that. As Scildfreja said promote and support policies in Canada that would protect marganilized people. Also, you could see if you can donate to organizations in like Planned Parenthood and the ACLU that would help defend marganilized and vulnerable people (at the end of the latest episode of Last Week Tonight they list a whole bunch of similar organizations)

sparkalipoo
sparkalipoo

@Belladonna

I feel the same way. Those Bernie supporters forget that, as you said, ALL THE POLLS WHERE WRONG and that when Hillary first entered the race she was wicked popular and when you analyze the media coverage she got the most negative coverage of anyone in the election and Bernie lost the primaries.

My boyfriend had a friend who was a Bernie or Buster and voted for Jill Stein and after the election he was like “I’m going to do everything I can to protect black people” when he could have started by voting for Clinton

Belladonna
Belladonna

@Sparkalipoo
Thanks. You know, it’s not really even people like your boyfriend’s friend who voted for Jill Stein who I’m mad at. All the polls were telling us Clinton would win. I read some article just before the election that was speculating about ways Donald Trump could win the election (and even it didn’t go so far as to say he could win Wisconsin and Michigan) and all the liberal comments in it were like “right, nice fiction, never gonna happen.” Liberals were really confident going into this election, so I can forgive someone who made a conscience vote. In fact, I can especially forgive someone like that whose initial reaction is “OMG, I’m going to do all I can to protect vulnerable people.”

I’m for sure not mad at people like Scoot, either.

No matter which way they voted, the ones I’m truly sick of are the ones who haven’t even bothered to stop and say “This is so horrible” or said anything about how they would fight any harm before launching into “this is what would have happened if you’d listened to us” gloating.

It’s like people who warn someone else that something might be dangerous. And then if the other person decides to proceed anyway, they watch and hope that person gets hurt. And then if the person does get hurt, they feel deeply satisfied and happy about the harm, just because they get to feel like they were right.

Kat
Kat

@kupo

Thanks so much!

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

@Psycho Gecko:

Yeah, Trump isn’t a populist.

Trump is a demagogue.

sparkalipoo
sparkalipoo

@Belladonna

what’s frustrating to me about people like my boyfriend’s friend is that I spent this entire election cycle trying to convince people (including him) that to vote for Clinton and that she isn’t just as bad as Trump and kept getting “no she’s just as bad because blardieblar” and now their upset that she didn’t get elected and it’s like “why couldn’t you agree with me when it would actually make a difference?”

Belladonna
Belladonna

@sparkalipoo

Ick, you didn’t tell me about those “she’s just as bad arguments.” I liked Hillary reasonably well, for a politician, but I could certainly understand a lot of the criticisms of her. But I’ll never understand (ever, ever, ever) how anyone claiming to be a progressive could take a stance that Hillary was “just as bad” as the orange, scumsucking, con man, racist, sexist, lying, glory-seeking narcissist.

Clearly, maybe he never really thought Hillary was “just as bad,” after all, eh? I empathize with your feelings on this! Hugs to you (if you want them)!

sparkalipoo
sparkalipoo

@Belladonna

I’m sorry, I need to get better at communicating clearly, especially on the internet

thank you for the hugs, this election cycle has been disappointing and frustrating the whole way through and now it’s scary to think about what could happen next and it might be to late to do anything about it

Belladonna "Toxic Hag"
Belladonna "Toxic Hag"

@sparkalipoo
I didn’t mean to accuse you of failing to communicate clearly! It was just sort of, well, bad transition garbage, to try to say how much I get what you’re saying! And I’m scared, too.