hillary clinton trump

VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE

VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE

VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE

Tony
Tony

I understand the despair – really I do. We felt it also after Brexit. But here’s the thing. This election is only valid for 4 years. Brexit is forever – irreversible.

True – it shows you have an electorate prepared to elect a seriously shitty human being. But that can be worked on. Starting now – target change in 4 years.

And on the bright side. 1 – he may not be as bad as we think. 2 – If he is, those who voted for him will also be worse off, and will learn the *consequences* of voting for shitty people.

It’s not the end of the world, it’s the start of the next campaign.

JoeB
JoeB

For the record I said the electoral college was dumb and obsolete before votes started being counted, let alone it became clear Trump was going to win the EC while very likely losing the popular vote.

bluecat
bluecat

Best comment I’ve seen so far on the UK side of the Atlantic:

“Many in Britain and elsewhere will be understandably shocked by Donald Trump’s victory in the US presidential election, the rhetoric around it and what the election result means for the rest of the world, as well as America.
Trump’s election is an unmistakable rejection of a political establishment and an economic system that simply isn’t working for most people. It is one that has delivered escalating inequality and stagnating or falling living standards for the majority, both in the US and Britain
This is a rejection of a failed economic consensus and a governing elite that has been seen not to have listened. And the public anger that has propelled Donald Trump to office has been reflected in political upheavals across the world.
But some of Trump’s answers to the big questions facing America, and the divisive rhetoric around them, are clearly wrong.
I have no doubt, however, that the decency and common sense of the American people will prevail, and we send our solidarity to a nation of migrants, innovators and democrats.
After this latest global wake up call, the need for a real alternative to a failed economic and political system could not be clearer.
That alternative must be based on working together, social justice and economic renewal, rather than sowing fear and division. And the solutions we offer have to improve the lives of everyone, not pit one group of people against another.
Americans have made their choice. The urgent necessity is now for us all to work across continents to tackle our common global challenges: to secure peace, take action on climate change and deliver economic prosperity and justice.”
Jeremy Corbyn MP.

joekster- (betas bearded)
joekster- (betas bearded)

I just woke up and read the results.

Trump wins. The senate stays GOP
Fuck.

I do not understand my country.

Fuck.

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy

@RiNS the deplorable

You fuckers are willing to hurt yourselves to hurt others. It will affect you less, but it will affect you. It will come back to kick you in the ass. Not now, not very soon, but it WILL come back to you, shitstain.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

I woke up at about peak hatred this morning. I’ve spent the last hours indulging and feeding that hate. I don’t like this, but I can’t really stop myself. The majority of the Murican electorate (including some Clinton voters) disgusts me. This ain’t the time or place to drop the fire. Or maybe it is, but, if I start…

@bluecat
I really shouldn’t start…

@David Futrelle
Please be generous with the Open Threads. I have a feeling we’ll need them going forward

TirAsleen
TirAsleen

#notmypresident

To all those who are depressed, please know that when we need to fight the hardest is when we feel the least like fighting at all. Hugs to you all. Glad to read such amazingly honest posts. Sorry so many are feeling defeated. I get it, but I’m only stunned, not out of the fight yet.

TirAsleen
TirAsleen

@axecalibur….why do Clinton voters disgust you? We are shocked and dazed. Not sure why you are disgusted with us. Some of us have been fighting for months against Trump and his minions of hate so if we feel a little down, it is expected at this point. Americans are divided…do you get that? We are broken. We are outraged and angry and deeply upset so please don’t try to act like all Americans wanted this fiasco or aren’t acting with the appropriate outrage. I’m crushed. I haven’t given up but I do need a moment to vent and reflect. I’m sure the rawness of this unexpected election result has made most of us Clinton supporters a little depressed.

Quinalla
Quinalla

I’m not shocked, I thought it could go either way, but I’m severely disappointed in my country and angry too. I’m disappointed that far too many couldn’t bring themselves to vote for a woman for president, even though she’s the most qualified candidate we’ve ever seen running against the least qualified candidate we’ve ever seen. I’m angry at all the bigots who voted for Trump because they can’t face losing their white/male/cis/etc. privilege. I’m angry at the media coverage this entire election that helped tip things Trump’s way, how much we’ll never know, but when there is more negative coverage of Hillary against Trump, something is seriously wrong with the media coverage and I’m pissed that the media is not taking any accountability for their BS coverage. I’m so upset at the voter suppression efforts that seemed to have paid off, upset for this election and the future, that I’m sure played a part in keeping democratic voters home who might have otherwise turned out for Hillary and for congress. Seats were picked up, but not nearly enough seats :/ Oh and I’m scared for my family some but moreso for folks with much less privilege than me.

I’m taking today and maybe a little longer to be sad/angry/etc. Then I’m making a plan to figure out what I can do to push back against the bigotry, to help those that are going to need it and to make the next election really count.

numerobis
numerobis

On the plus side, my girlfriend still loves my Canadian side.

On the minus side, a good fraction of my Facebook friends are legit terrified for their safety.

Viscaria
Viscaria

@Lux, I’m so so sorry. I hope your girlfriend will be alright. I hope you can find time to take care of yourself while you’re taking care of her.

@palmedfire, it isn’t selfish to be focusing on your immediate reality right now. You have to put the oxygen mask on yourself first. Then you can help others.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@thread

Friendly reminder to everyone that ableist comments aren’t allowed, even when things are looking grim. If you’re not sure what ableism is or entails, just don’t say or imply anything about people being “sane”, “insane”, “crazy”, etc. Read the comments policy for more detailed discussion.

@TirAsleen

Axe said that his disgust extends to some Clinton voters. In other words, being a Clinton voter doesn’t necessarily shield you from blame. You can still have contributed to this catastrophe in other ways, even if you voted for Clinton. Please, this is not the time to misunderstand grammar.

Kobun37
Kobun37

@Bluecat

It’s too bad different does not automatically mean better. The people who voted for Trump because the they are being economically left behind will almost certainly be one of the groups his economic policies will harm the most. They’ll have no one to blame but themselves, but I’m sure the Republicans will try to pin it on Obama.

I’m thinking we’re about to see 2008 Part Deux.

Gonna invest in a “Don’t blame me, I voted for Clinton” bumper sticker as soon as they’re available.

Cynical Optimist
Cynical Optimist

Is Anisky okay? Did anyone hear back from them?

TirAsleen
TirAsleen

@imaginarypetal

How? How are Clinton voters to blame? What exactly did Clinton voters do to promote Trump for President? I’m not willingly being obtuse or misunderstanding syntax if blame is being distributed to the people who were fighting against this catastrophe. This is not the time for people to blame Clinton voters and supporters.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@TirAsleen

Until you demonstrate that you understand the difference between “blaming Clinton voters for the election results” and “being disgusted with some Clinton voters for various reasons”, I won’t waste any time trying to explain anything more complicated than that.

Viscaria
Viscaria

It’s seriously not cool to ask Axe right now to give a point-by-point accounting of how some Clinton supporters have harmed him. Especially as he indicated, twice, in his comment that he doesn’t want to vent those feelings here. I’m sure if you use your imagination you can think of some ways that someone could have voted Clinton and still not been a perfect human being.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

It’s almost 6am, and I woke up because I couldn’t breathe. Cold shit. I was kinda hoping that I’d wake up to news of voter fraud and national outrage over that. I checked the news and there’s some fire and riots and Trump has taken over the POTUS Twitter account already?

Imma just go back to sleep for a few more hours. Or at least try.

I love you all. Be safe.

Gipsz Jakab
Gipsz Jakab

I’m sorely tempted to think that it might be time for a coup. I know it wouldn’t be right, but fuckdamn, it’s starting to look like the lesser evil at this point.

Hu's On First
Hu's On First

Okay, I’ve done it. Created a petition to allow Minnesota (my state) the option of joining Canada via popular referendum.

Here it is. Feel free to sign and share it with your friends.

Between this, #Calexit (which is trending big now), and Texit (Texans may have voted for Trump but they still want to secede, apparently), Trump won’t be able to take the country for granted; he’ll have to either moderate his behavior to keep the Union together, or else let it fall apart in which case he won’t have much of a country, or much of an opportunity to do damage anymore.

TirAsleen
TirAsleen

@imaginarypetal
Wow, could you be any more unpleasant about something rather simple? I was truly interested in the ” various” reasons for disgust you mentioned. Why so dismissive and unkind to someone who is here to discuss and understand and ask questions?
My misunderstanding was thinking that Axe was thinking Clinton supporters weren’t outraged enough. I knew he wasn’t blaming us for election results. So, Until you can demonstrate that you even get my question, don’t bother replying to me.

@Viscaria…I missed that he didn’t want to discuss that…my apologies to him. I think it is best I no longer read or comment here. Sorry for upsetting everyone.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Forgive me for this personal note.

Yesterday I had a pretty bad allergic reaction to my arthritis treatment, with bumps and itchy rash all over my body. Since this was the second time it’s happened, they’re taking me permanently off the medication. In other words, I will be in extreme physical pain and have very limited mobility until I find a different kind of medication that works. In addition, I only had about 1/4 of the full dose yesterday, so it will wear off a lot faster than normal. Currently trying to make an appointment with the Social Insurance agency in order to figure out if I can go on disability. Pretty stressed out right now.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@TirAsleen

Yes, I can be more unpleasant. Shut the fuck up and go away. This is not the time for your crap.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

(I’ve never used the ‘back’ key so many times before a post before)

I’m still finding this hard to believe; it’s just so surreal. I went to bed last night after the first few results had been called and it seemed clear that Trump’s almost negligible ‘path to victory’ wasn’t about to happen. It took me quite a while to process when I flicked on the news this morning and someone was taking about Pence as VC (“Huh? I though he was the Trump guy”).

Anyway the concerns of a cishet white guy 3000 miles way don’t amount to a hill of beans at the moment. My heart goes out to my USian friends and especially those in groups that now face the real and terrible consequences of this.

Stay safe all of you. You’re in my thoughts. I just wish there was some immediate practical thing I could do to help; it’s just so bewildering and frustrating.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Petal

@Tir
That the irony is lost on you here breaks my heart a little

@Thread
I’ll shut up for a while <3

Weird (and stunned) Eddie
Weird (and stunned) Eddie

Some good news in this sea of heartbreak, in Kansas, Governor Brownshirt’s plan to buy a new Supremee court more in line with his fundamentalism failed as Kansans voted to retain all Judges

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

….This sucks. This really sucks.

kupo
kupo

@Luxbelitx
You haven’t failed her. You didn’t bring this on. Don’t blame yourself and please take care of yourself.

@Tir
Please stop. No one owes you any answers.

@Petal
I’m sorry. I know how hard arthritis can be. I hope they find you a good alternative soon.

@Axe
<3 You don't need to shut up if you don't want to.

@Everyone
I think I'll start looking at what I can do to be more active in fighting against oppression. Maybe do some volunteer work if my arthritis will allow it.

Monzach
Monzach

I’m very sorry, America. I’m so very sorry. Please stay safe. If we didn’t have a foot of snow on the ground already with more coming all the time, I’d suggest all US Mammotheers to come to Finland.

Just…just stay safe one and all.

Hugs to all who want them.

Malitia
Malitia

I so loath when privilege blind people try to be “inspirational”. I mean I got on soc media a comment around the lines of:

“Be mosre positive! If Thrump can be a president, you can be anything you want too!”

… I was snarking back “do I look like his demographic to you?!” I’m not sure they got what I meant. :/

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

The government is not a perfect machine. It’s a bunch of people arranged in a fashion that’s allegedly supposed to give law to the people, chosen by the majority. And when the majority fails to consider the interests of minorities, deliberately ignores the interests of minorities, or actively wishes to oppress minorities for their own personal gain, people suffer.
Persons who happen to be part of one or more minorities are stuck in a shitty situation not of their own choosing, and things generally suck. Their ability to lobby for recognition of rights is hampered, further slowing progress.

Something has to give. Something has to break. The dam’s going to burst eventually. When?

Hu's On First
Hu's On First

“Not As We” by Alanis Morissette. The official anthem for the Minnesota Should Join Canada movement!

mcbender

I’m having a hard time processing this, to be honest. But regardless, I wrote a thing:

Also, while I am at it, here are some other people writing good things you should read

I really don’t know what to say. This is horrific and terrifying. Hang in there, everyone. I guess we’ll either get through it together somehow, or we’ll all be dead and not aware of anything?

Jesalin
Jesalin

‘Land of the bigot, home of the spiteful’

I am so beyond being disappointed and disturbed that hate managed to win and by such a large margin. This is a very dark day.

Please stay safe!! (Somewhat dazed and depressed) hugs to all who need them!

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

So is this the wrong time for blatant self-promotion ? We do bed&breakfast here. If any Americans want to put an ocean between the orange catastrophe and themselves.

Anyway, what’s up with the troll onslaught ?

@Axe

I’ll be honest, I don’t even live in Murica but there’s still no way I’m going through today without large amounts of booze and/or drugs. More than ready to forgive any outbursts, they’re so justified.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent (Now Mobile!)
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent (Now Mobile!)

Best-case scenario, Trump bumbles about, doesn’t get anything meaningful past, people learn he doesn’t follow through and vote for someone else in 2020.

I don’t even want to think about the worst-case scenario. But I will not go down without a fight.

Weird (and stunned) Eddie
Weird (and stunned) Eddie

@ Kupo

I think I’ll start looking at what I can do to be more active in fighting against oppression. Maybe do some volunteer work if my arthritis will allow it.

YESSSSSS!!!

favorite Pete Seeger quote;

I think the world is going to be saved by millions of small things.

Utah Phillips

Who took the children from the mines, the young women from the mills,
When the bosses turned to look the other way?
It was the rebel voices raised high against the wind,
That fought for the rights we have today.

If you’re a reader, research the Social Conscience Movement. Look up the Lowell, Mass. garment workers strike… Google Ida B. Wells… Angela Davis… Karen Silkwood. We have roots, and our branches are reaching into an uncertain future, but it’s always been that way. Our footsteps mark the path for our children to follow.

WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED!!

PreuxFox
PreuxFox

So…

…what do we do now?

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

@PreuxFox

Pray to whatever deity or deities you worship. Cross your fingers. Hope. If things start looking like Trump’s actually going to follow through, take to the streets. Get other people to. Make your voice heard.
It is in our best interests to keep the United States of America from devolving.

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

… let alone it became clear Trump was going to win the EC while very likely losing the popular vote.

So, it still looks likely* that Trump lost – or so close as makes no difference – the overall votes of the electorate at large.

All those people who’ve been moaning incessantly for a couple of years about how The Establishment fails to take into account the Real Concerns of Real People are now crowing in triumph at their candidate winning despite the majority vote being against – or at least not for – him.

How does that work?

*We’ll probably not know for a good while what the exact figures are.

aqua
aqua

@ bluecat and that is a typical disingenous mealy mouthed response from Corbynn. A man who shares the same instinct for divisveness as Trump. A man who is as emotionally dishonest as the day is long.

A man who contributed to Brexit with his evasive obstructionism.
And Climate change? Trump – seriously?

Li
Li

Hi everyone. I’m from Argentina. I woke up today to the news that Trump had won the election… and my first reaction was sheer disbelief. But then I realized that we lived trough something very similar in our last presidential election here. We also elected an ignorant, mysoginist, racist millonaire, who inherited his fortune from his father, with a past (and present) awfully tainted with corruption and obscure dealings. That disgusting bigoted clown is our President now… And things got worst fast. But we are trying to stay strong and stay together. So… I send you all a big hug, and hope we can find ways to live trough this. Don’t give up!

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

We take action. Hope is nothing without action. Hope is the catalyst for action, not the excuse for inaction. And praying has done shit for no one. Remember what Christians say? “God helps those who help themselves?” That’s because just praying and hoping doesn’t do shit.

You do everything you can, whether that’s ranting or marching or whatever it takes to stop this.

Also, the fucker who started that petition for Minnesota to join Canada? Fuck you too. There’s more than just your ass at stake here.

Do. SOMETHING.

And you fuckers better hope this all of what I just said is melodramatics and Trump and Pence are just shitty presidents because I am not gonna sit quietly while people get killed and fucked over for not being rich, cis, het, male, Christian and white.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

@Handsome Jack

….I concede. The problem is I’m not sure how to arrange these things without potentially damaging my academic record, or my parents dragging me back home and/or doing something drastic with me. Being below the age of majority seems to limit my capabilities.
So far, the most I’ve done is try to comfort my friends. That’s what I know how to do.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

So… I’m going to make the (in my opinion, relatively easy) guess that Pence will be a highly active and involved Vice President, like Cheney was for W Bush.

Who do you think’s on the shortlist for Pence’s Supreme Court nominees?

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy

@banned@4chan.org

I dread to imagine what his choices will be. Some will probably make Scalia look moderate.

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

@PreuxFox:
What now? We organise. We contact people, form networks, arrange meetings. We get a grassroots movement going. In fact, we should get a lot of allied grassroots movements going. Diversity is strength, as long as they talk to one another.

When – not if – something happens which makes it necessary for tens of thousands of pairs of shoes to hit the street, then these networks and movements need to already be in place. People need to know where meetings are, they need to know where to get information, and they need to know where to send emails. Find out who has time, who has energy and who has money.

If you’re in college, talk to your fellow students and organise a local group. If you’re working, do it with other employees. Get together with people from your church, your gaming group, your atheist meetup group – whatever group you hang out with.

Organise.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

@Troubelle

You’re a kid, you’re a minor, I don’t expect you to take action. You may if push comes to shove but I hope it doesn’t get that far.

Idk, part of ne feels I’m being over dramatic. I don’t wanna make anyone panic but I dont wanna have to clean up a mess we could have prevented. It’s gone far enough.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

I have a hypothesis about why we lost. A lot of people have claimed that this election was “rural vs urban.” Rural communities in the US were failed once by globalization, and they’re being failed again by the energy crisis.

Imagine your father worked in either the coal or petroleum industry. Imagine he followed in the footsteps of his father. Imagine that you dreamed of carrying on the family tradition. Imagine that even if you’re a woman, you can support this industry indirectly.

And now imagine that some eggheads say that the stuff you’ve been digging out of the ground for the past few generations is having diminishing returns. And they have no plans to integrate your family into the new energy economy. Nevermind that it’s 97% of universities, and also the US military, and also oil companies like Shell (privately, of course) who are all saying this. You were promised an honest day’s work for an honest day’s pay, but that work is going away.

“Fuck me? Fuck you!” is actually kind of an intuitive answer. You don’t have to be a practiced troll to come to that conclusion, when you’re living those circumstances.

Subtract Hominem, the Renegade Misandroid
Subtract Hominem, the Renegade Misandroid

Who do you think’s on the shortlist for Pence’s Supreme Court nominees?

They released a few names back in May, but have since said they may nominate someone else.