Uncategorized

ONE DAY LEFT, so here’s an accordion army playing The Final Countdown

The Final Countdown Party comes to an end today. Rest up for the big day tomorrow!

In the meantime, here’s a cat going for a walk.

H/T — Thanks to TZer0 for recommending the accordion video!

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy

It’s almost over.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Speaking of walking cats

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

@Axe:

I dunno if you caught this, because I’m late on the pickup, but someone defaced the Hillary chalk. Now, the Trump chalk from before was also defaced, and turnabout may be fair play, but someone took note of a bit saying “PRO-BLACK ISN’T ANTI-WHITE” and scratched out the fuckin’ N’T.

Aside from “almost definitely white,” I’ve got nothing on whodunnit, but I find this horrifying in many senses, and also really assholish. God, some people….

kupo
kupo

@Troubelle
Seriously? How can anyone think something like that? It boggles the mind.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

@kupo

There are some people who look for any excuse not to lose their privilege. This has been noted again and again, and not by me–by others here in the comments section.

It’s pathetic and disgusting, but it will not change in a day.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Some people think that it’s a zero-sum game, that anything gained by a minority is something lost by the majority. That’s the whole “white genocide” argument, as I see it. Fear of the outsider coming in and destroying things, even though minorities aren’t mysterious outsiders and they aren’t gonna destroy things. It’s all overinflated by polarization and right wing talk radio-style media and hypernationalism and so many other stupid things.

Makes me upset to think about all of the cynical rich assholes who lit this fire, because it’s not the sort of thing you can put out easily.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

In any case: ladies, gents, and esteemed individuals of neither title….cross your collective fingers.

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

…fasten your seat belts, take note of the emergency exits…. 😛

Weird (and tired of Milo, et. al.) Eddie
Weird (and tired of Milo, et. al.) Eddie

@ Troubelle, Scildfreja

CW: This post contains sarcasm, but really only slightly…

I believe that the roots of that “zero-sum” mentality are in the “arrangement” that white society forced on the former slaves after emancipation.

1) Whites will no longer hold blacks in chattel slavery, but
2) Blacks are not allowed to participate in white society in any way
3) Blacks are free to build their own society, but
4) Any non-surplus resources available to blacks will be taken by white society.

This leaves everything in the control of whites, so if blacks DO have anything, it must have either been given by whites as SURPLUS, or TAKEN FROM whites in violation of the social arrangement. We are now in a time of perceived lack of surplus (I say “perceived”, because America still has plenty, it’s just been shifted to the control of a very wealthy elite), so if blacks have anything, it must have been taken from whites. This idea can be expanded to any group that’s not cis, het, white male.

Not that any of this is actually TRUE (except maybe the attitude), but I think it explains white society’s blindness to everything except it’s own needs.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

The Dow is up almost 300 points on the news that once again, the FBI didn’t find shit on Hillary Clinton. Apparently the markets are more confident she’ll win now.

Name
Name

How can anyone mention accordions without this?

Moggie
Moggie

WWTH:

Something something Wall Street, something something Jews.

Ross
Ross

There is one thing that really gets my goat with this ellection cycle (being Canadian I got the same thing earlier in the year). That thing is, people bitching about folks not voting, without providing any solutions.

I don’t know of anything that could help, like ride sharing etc. But please, if anyone has/knows of any resources to help get people to vote, please share it instead of moaning about the non-voters. Not that I see much of it here, its just a pet peeve.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Troubelle
Yeah, I caught it 🙂
TW: vulgar racism

Good on the students confronting the racists, undoing their bullshit. It may not seem like it helps, but it does. It’s a known, psychological phenomenon that people form political views not based on sage study of the evidence but peer pressure. If everyone you know and admire thinks a thing, so will you most likely. Part of ‘fixing’ (lack of a better term) the ‘white working class’ is to make their thought processes untenable by ostracizing them in their own communities. Not the nicest way to do it, but a necessary component

@Scildfreja

cynical rich assholes who lit this fire

Fanned. The fire’s been lit for centuries…

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

@Axe

Uh…you may have parsed that the wrong way, dude. The original text was, “PRO-BLACK ISN’T ANTI-WHITE.” Which is A Good, because it reinforces the notion that supporting a particular minority will not inconvenience a given majority. But someone slashed out the N’T, which gave it the opposite meaning, which is A Bad and clearly racist.

Or am I bungled? Are we both bungled?

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent (Now Mobile!)
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent (Now Mobile!)

also hello this is mobile trou

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Troubelle
Nah, I got it. I was kinda fusing the whole graffiti saga together, including the back and forth on the Clinton stuff as well as your wish to ‘reface’ this particular slice of nonsense. Bullshit fights hard when it’s cornered. It’s good we have people willing to do the cornering

Also, I just find it funny that, somewhere in central Kentucky, there’s a raging, ideological turf war, being fought with chalk. It’s quaint. And they said kids today weren’t exposed to differing opinions 😛

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent (Now Mobile!)
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent (Now Mobile!)

@Axe

turf war

And now I’m thinking of Splatoon. Great.
(Trivia: the colour rotation in Splatoon does not contain red vs. blue because studies show that the red team has a biased win rate. Take that as you will.)

It is a bit quaint, yes…. but it is getting a bit worrying. You can draw anything with chalk, after all.

If things get bad, I’ll go out and buy a box of my own. I fancy myself….not terrible at art.

Lea
Lea

It isn’t almost over.
A guy told me yesterday that he believes there will be a revolution in the streets if Hillary wins. He sincerely believes she is evil and that her supporters tried to assasinste Trump. He doesn’t think he’s racist. He just thinks black people are whiny and this new generation is soft and blah blah blah…
He really isn’t as bigoted as many of the people I live around. He’s fairly cosmopolitan in comparison.
I believe she will win. I also believe that will piss off a lot of white men with guns and no love for democracy or equality. Trump’s supporters aren’t done burning churches and kicking kid’s wheelchairs.

Whatever we’re in, it’s just winding up.

Ooglyboggles

@Lea
I sincerely believe that there will be far too many incidents in the coming months, it’ll be a dark time indeed. Hopefully this is a sign of an extinction event so we can finally move past this and the cancerous root of the GOP.

Hambeast
Hambeast

Got my DVR stocked with some movies off of TCM for tomorrow night in case Husbeast can’t/doesn’t want to watch Once Upon a Time with me (we’re watching season 3 right now off of Netflix.)

Got a marinaded and cooked pork loin to make into something yummy for dinner and yesterday, I made oatmeal cookies with toffee bits for dessert.

Got my edible cannabis meds to keep me calm, pain-free and happy.

Other than a trip to Trader Joe’s for some sides for the pork loin, I think I’m set.

edited for tpyos

All ready for election night!

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

I want everyone to know a 4 year old gave me a cold and children are the goddamn devil, especially the ones who don’t cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze.

Anyone of you that has children I consider a traitor to the cause of not making me sick.

At the very least, teach them to cover their fucking mouths.

That is all.

P.S. Children are gross, sticky, slime-covered germ buckets and I hate them.

Weird (and tired of Milo, et. al.) Eddie
Weird (and tired of Milo, et. al.) Eddie

@ Scildfreja

‘fixing’ (lack of a better term) the ‘white working class’

I believe these things change over generations, and they change because more and more people demand change

JoeB
JoeB

If, and only if, you aren’t stressed out enough by the election

The most dramatic 2 minutes of footage I’ve ever seen.

LindsayIrene

So Trump came to Minnesota yesterday to tell us Minnesotans how terrible our Somali immigrants are, and how they shouldn’t be allowed to “roam our communities”. It’s like he was talking about bears.

There are a lot of Somali people in my neighborhood, and I’d be happy for there to be more. My white non-immigrant neighbors are dealing meth in broad daylight, having screaming fights in the middle of the street, and wandering around outside in nothing but their underpants.

varalys the dark

Well I’m English and hoping the lovely US folk can give me an early birthday present and defeat the Great Cheeto. And hopefully defeat him really badly so there will be no more truck with this nazi nonsense. I’m gearing up to follow the election via this board because I know that it’ll be free of Trumplings (or at least they get mocked if they appear) and I can’t say that about other websites I frequent. Whether I last the night is up to my flu meds though but I shall try.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@LindsayIrene, that was The Indefatigable Axecalibur that wrote that, not me. +1 to you both, though. Which introduces a very odd tension. You have to stand against the wrong and the injust in order to isolate it and create social pressure against it. At the same time, it’s association and familiarity which changes minds much more than argument. Isolation and confrontation only strengthens divisive beliefs. It’s quite a tightrope to walk.

Aunt Podger
Aunt Podger

Anyone want to come over to my house and watch the MRA meltdowns over today’s XKCD? I just baked snickerdoodles, and I have popcorn. We can feminest.

Weird (and tired of Milo, et. al.) Eddie
Weird (and tired of Milo, et. al.) Eddie

@ Scildfreja

(See if I can reply to the correct person… 🙁 🙂 )

I think it’s much more our children associating with the children of those who teach hatred which drives the social change. Not that we can’t generate changes in their attitudes, but I’ve been “talking ’till I’m blue in the face” and….

The people who are wealthy enough can send their children to private schools to isolate them, but the children of the rest are going to be exposed to diversity and to the idea that mocking and hating diversity is not acceptable. I think this is why the right-wing is so in favor of “vouchers for private school education” in the U.S., they KNOW they’re going to lose the children who go to public schools, so they want to use the public treasury to prevent that.

Frigid Virgin (hey, I'm trying to stop global warming over here, what's your excuse?)

So… I’m going to show my ignorance on the American political system here, but: When Clinton wins, that’s it, right? I mean, when the votes are counted and she’s been declared the winner, there’s nothing more Trump can do, yeah? He can’t make some complaint and wiggle his way into the White House by some underhanded “I’ll sue you for x”-tactic, or something like that, can he?

In other news: My 90-year-old grandmother hates Trump with a passion. She went on a long, blistering rant about him just yesterday. It was glorious.

Oh yeah; one day left!

JoeB
JoeB

Frigid Virgin
Unless it’s very close, yes. If it’s close then there can be some clusterfucks with recounts and two jackasses in Washington state who are electoral college delegates saying they are willing to take the 1k fine for not voting for the candidate that won the state.

ETA: the electoral college is dumb and should be abolished. If not fully, have the potential for faithless electors eliminated.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

In an ideal world, Trump would concede when it becomes clear that he doesn’t have the electoral votes to win. In the real world, I see a high probability of that not happening.

That doesn’t prevent him from losing, but it means that we don’t have an “official” Presidential win until the electoral college actually votes. This will happen in December. Until then, Trump could try to lobby the electors to get them to vote for him faithlessly. He could also tie up resources in recounts. Depending on the state, a recount is typically done at the public expense if the race is an arbitrary level of close, and can often be done at the expense of a requesting party regardless of how close/not close the vote was.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

One day and a wakeup, as Gawker put it.

@ JoeB and Policy of Madness: Thank you both. So basically there are underhanded tactics he can try, but unless it’s a fairly close race, he’s still going to lose, whatever shenanigans he gets up to? Unless I misunderstood something?

Also, why does the US not have a direct democracy? All this business with voting, when it’s just a tiny group of people that actually do any electing seems a bit… back-wards, and also vulnerable to corruption.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

It kind of ruins our economy when a candidate refuses to accept the first call of the election’s outcome. In the case of Gore, that was fully justified because the man fairly won, but we still had a massive drag until he conceded.

Also, why does the US not have a direct democracy?

Early American leaders had no confidence that ordinary people could be trusted to elect good leaders. It’s elitism, more or less. The electoral college isn’t particularly vulnerable to corruption, though, because the electors are typically rock-solid party leaders for whom the thought of losing any political influence is worse than death. It would a lot easier if we just had a direct election. However, the legacy of our early rural elitist roots lingers in more ways than this.

JoeB
JoeB

The electoral college made sense in 1789 when sending a person with a message was the best means of communication between the 13 states, so it was worth it’s problems. That hasn’t been so for a good while now, but constitutional amendments are hard.

ETA: also what Policy of Madness said.

ETA2: it was also a bit of a concession to the small states because they have disproportionate influence in the EC. Passage of the Constitution was one state one vote so there are a lot of those.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

It’s worth noting that in 1800, 90% of the US was rural, and in 2010 that had flipped and only 10% of the US population didn’t live in a metropolitan statistical area. Much of the Constitution is intended to preserve the power of rural interests, and several influential American founders (Thomas Jefferson in particular but also others) thought that the finest manifestation of America was the gentleman farmer.

The electoral college draws its numbers from the number of people a state sends to its Congressional delegation, which is slanted in favor of rural states. Wyoming gets 2 senators, after all, the same as California. There are as many rural states as non-rural, and a Constitutional amendment has to be ratified by 3/4ths of the states, not 3/4ths of the population. The rural states are not going to vote for something that diminishes their power, so this system isn’t going anywhere.

Aunt Podger
Aunt Podger

I’ve heard that early laws against “miscegenation” in the States were conscious and deliberate efforts to keep the white indentured servant/ transportee convicts and the slaves from uniting against the rich white ruling class, but I am having trouble pinning down firsthand documentation. It seems so intuitively obvious that I am forced to mistrust it (not traumatized by the Chief Seattle hoax/ Sojourner Truth “Ain’t I a Woman” embroidery, oh, no! Not I! [muffled sob]). Does anyone here have a source on this?

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

Oh! Just for those USAnians who’ve not yet voted …

Moggie
Moggie

JoeB:

How long has the fine been 1k? Was that set when 1k was a small fortune, and just never been updated since? Because some of the electors are probably wearing shoes which cost more than 1k. It doesn’t seem an adequate deterrent.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Mr. Parasol and I will be voting tomorrow morning. In other news, my MRI from Friday has been interpreted, and it’s as good as we can hope for – the bleed is resolving, with no scary stuff lurking underneath.

@ JoeB and Policy of Madness: Thank you both for all the information. I never could quite understand the whole electoral college thing before. It makes sense with such a big country back in a time when long-distance travel was weeks, not hours or days. And yeah, there’s no way it wasn’t also a means to keep the paupers down. The elite can only remain elite so long as the common folk are powerless, after all. Which of course is why it’s still in effect today.

(Also; WRT not conceding. Trump’s going to do that, isn’t he? He’s going to drag this out for as long as he can, and he’s going to make it as ugly and exhausting for Clinton as humanly possible. I mean, Obama and that birth certificate? That was low.)

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

A few of my comments are in moderation due to me posting from mobile. Ah well.

In the interim, I’m mostly just hoping that All Goes Well.

Moggie
Moggie

I don’t think I’ve seen this video here yet, which is some kind of weird mistake, so let’s rectify that while there’s still time.

JoeB
JoeB

Moggie: It’s set state by state. I don’t know when Washington decided on 1k, a number of states have no penalty at all, they just don’t expect a faithless elector to matter since they are chosen by the state party.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Vicki P
Yay, that’s great!

Weird (and tired of Milo, et. al.) Eddie
Weird (and tired of Milo, et. al.) Eddie

@ Aunt Podger

I think that’s partly true, although there was a lot of good ol’ fashioned bigotry in them as well…. A good source for info on that is “How the Irish Became White”, by Noel Ignatiev

Re; “Is it over when…”, I believe Trumpf has been “running” for an audience of right-wingers for his upcoming cable TV show, and (I hope I’m wrong) contesting the election, regardless of the outcome, is part of the plan. (Rigged election… did you know there were black people who voted MORE than 3/5ths of a time??? Totally rigged, big time….)

Tovius
Tovius

@Victorious Parasol

That’s great news!

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

I mean, Obama and that birth certificate? That was low.

Somehow I fear that’s nothing compared to all the “email” talk we’ll hear in coming years from assorted rightwingers. Emails, voter fraud, rape coverups, assassinations, whatever wild conspiracy theories anyone can imagine from the general “corruption” theme. Endless nuisance investigations and empty legal threats.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@Dalillama and Tovius

Thank you! It’s a huge relief.