Uncategorized

Three days left, and the Final Countdown Video Party is overrun by tubas and pugs

We’re only three days away from the big day. Probably a good idea to turn off the news and play videogames, or watch creepy old episodes of Space 1999 or something.

Today’s Final Countdown cover isn’t the worst cover I’ve ever heard, but it’s definitely the one with the most tubas.

The bonus video today involves three layers of pug.

JoeB
JoeB

Got around to early voting this morning. While I’ve seen and continue to see 4-5 hour lines on TV and Online in heavily minority/Democratic areas of VA/NC/FL here in Iowa it took me 40 minutes from parking to taking a selfie in my car with my “I Voted” sticker. Wonder why that is?

Knitting Cat Lady
Knitting Cat Lady

Actually, those were Sousaphones.

They’re easy to distinguish: You hug a Tuba, the Sousaphone hugs you. And gives you an elephant ear.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

I got all my cleaning done yesterday, and I even managed to make some more of Katz’ Chicken Recipe, which Roommates really liked.

I am even making headway in my new Skyrim save file. I’m a badass orc woman named Sirrah Shadow-Blessed, and I saved a woman in Markarth from being stabbed by a Forsworn agent, I’m a member of the Thieves’ Guild, and I just joined the Dark Brotherhood.

I also think I might have found myself a good orc wife to settle down with, and I just bought my first house finally. And then the XBox overheated, so I have to get off it for a while. : /

Progress is being made!

Roommates also went out shopping/on a date, so I have the apartment to myself for a few hours (they said they’d bring me back some mozzarella sticks).

varalys the dark

Well after a whole day fast asleep looks like the worst of the breathing difficulties from this chest cold I’ve got have passed. Still feeling somewhat grotty but at least going to the kitchen to make a cup of tea doesn’t feel like climbing Everest now. Sounds like a merry Bonfire night going on outside, although hopefully what happened last year won’t happen again when the people next door let off a tonne of fireworks at once at 0300.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

The tuba section of our high school band was called the ‘Legion of Boom’. We earned the moniker 🙂

Otrame
Otrame

@ varalys

Ah, yes. Remember, Remember…..

In other news, I was able to vote in about 15 minutes at about 2 in the pm at the early voting site a couple of days ago. No sign of intimidation going on (I almost wanted there to be… Almost… )

But truthfully, I didn’t really expect it. San Antonio has been a multicultural town since it was founded, and there is less casual racism visible here than in most places I’ve lived. I’m not claiming we don’t have our racist idiots, because oh, boy do we, but in this town the cultural segregation is (mostly) financial rather than racial. Middle and upper class live north and less well-off live south, but you can find someone of just about any albedo just about anywhere in this town. This fact makes attempts at intimidation of racial minorities (Anglos are our largest minority) not easy to manage.

I once passed a snack area near the lab I used to work at where a black woman, a hispanic woman, and a white woman were arguing in a mix of Spanish and English, about which Thai restaurant had the best food for a reasonable price. I walked away thinking “Puro San Antonio“.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

Seconding Knitting Cat Lady: those are sousaphones, David. Meant to emulate the sound of a tuba for marching bands. I should know. I’ve played both. (Not a contrabass horn, though. *shudder*)

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

Also, @Axecalibur:

-salutes-

Knitting Cat Lady
Knitting Cat Lady

What’s a contrabass horn?

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

I voted a while ago, thank goodness for the people who got mail order voting to be a thing.

In my Divinity: Dragon Commander game, oh the things I did. I legalized gay marriage, equal conscription, enforced geneva conventions, restricted the sale of magical swords to prevent magical swordings, turned my empire into a republic with equality put into the constitution, equal pay, health insurance, right to die, banned underage and arranged marriages and legalized unions. The Republic Lizards, environmentalist Elfs and and Atheist experimental Imps seemed to like that. The Howard Taft conservative dwarves and religious conservative undead not so much. My lizard general learned over time to be less racist, even he admitted he might not be fully free of thay prejudice but is making strides to the right path.

My war vet general learned to trust his fellow female generals, my youngest general was fine with being open about her sexuality and my naval general finally stopped thinking I was a chauvinist pig. That being said I really wished the devs wrote a few lines where she isn’t giving me backhanded compliments.

My mid terms are done, stressed about the resutls but at the least I’ve noticed after weeks of using Anki core 2/6k I am getting a bit faster and better in translating.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

@Knitting Cat Lady

That great silver beast. Notice how most of the weight is on one shoulder. The tradeoff is better sound. (Sousas kinda suck in comparison to real tubas.)

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Troubelle
Contra horns are meant for sitting, dammit! Like how do these people walk with those things? My arm would fall right off. Took me years to get to the point where a sousaphone wouldn’t kill me. BTW, did your concert tubas have quadvalves? We got some in during sophomore year, blew our fuckin minds. We were gonna get some rotaries too, but it wasn’t in the budget. Anyway, tubists unite!

Kat
Kat

#MelaniaTrumpTookMyModelingGigs
#ICouldHaveUsedthe$20,000

#MelaniaSorrytoHearDonaldCheated
#ButUnderstandablewithaPlayboyModel

Ray of Rays
Ray of Rays

Currently sworn off 538 for a while, since I’m starting to get worried and anxious near to the point of physical sickness. Not helped by my state pretty much being in the bag for Clinton already, meaning I have to trust to hope, luck, and her skill and support that she’ll pull it off in other, more competitive states. Trying as best I can to distract myself with games and laundry until I vote on Tuesday.

Currently trying to beat FTL on hard mode with all ships (one down, 27 to go, dozens or hundreds of attempts down). Debating opening up Europa Universalis 4 once and for all and attempting to actually play it, rather than getting intimidated away by the loading screens (attempt # 1) and the tutorial (attempt # 2). Finally replaced my copy of DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3, and using that to distract myself with physical activity (god, I love the Wii version).

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Axe
I had a neck strap for mine, because the sousaphone didn’t work. Fortunately, we didn’t actually have a marching band per se, so I was rarely called upon to use it.

Kat
Kat

National Enquirer Paid to Suppress Story of Donald Trump Cheating on Melania: Report

The headline doesn’t tell the whole story. The National Enquirer paid Playboy model Karen McDougal (Playmate of the effin’ year in 1998, people!) for the exclusive rights to her story about her year-long affair with Trump in 2006, after he was married to Melania. “Exclusive rights” means that McDougal can’t have her story published elsewhere — but the Enquirer has no obligation to print it.

Turns out that David Pecker, the chair and CEO of American Media, which owns the newspaper, is friends with Trump. The newspaper has endorsed Trump and has attacked her (and his other rivals) as only a tabloid can and does. For example, “Bungling Surgeon Ben Carson Left Sponge in Patient’s Brain!”

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

I was always a little disappointed that Japanese war tubas weren’t actually an instrument.

EV is looking promising in Florida and Nevada – Latinos, blacks, and women are turning out in greater numbers than 2012. Hope the firewall will hold on election day.

Kat
Kat

@Varalys

Glad you’re on the mend!

@Ooglyboggles

Time flies! It seems like only yesterday you were starting another year of school. Best wishes with the midterms!

@RayofRays

Lots of people are feeling the stress. With any luck, we’ll be able to party on Tuesday after the polls close. Hang in there!

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Dali
Marching band is huge down south, but I mostly avoided it with concert and jazz (so much fun). We did have this anniversary of the town celebration, so we’d march up and down Main Street for an hour. Before we got sousas, we’d just hold our horns tight (no strap either) and try not to drop em. We never did, the fear of having to replace it giving us strength behind our wildest dreams 😀

Kat
Kat

Pussy Grabs Back
Kim Boekbinder

We’re not your daughters, your wives,
We’re humans with lives.
And on November 8th,
We’re gonna rock it.

Kat
Kat

“We’re not your daughter, your wives”. . .

Trump Has “Almost Certainly” Lost Nevada, as Latino Turnout Surges in Key States

epitome of incomprehensibility

2nd day of my craft show (last day is tomorrow) and I spent about $10 more than I made. 🙂 I got my cousin a knit hat with a black cat pin, and my brother some little wooden ducks for his own crafts.

I was annoyed, though, to hear someone make a gross comment – the kind of sexist bullshit that I’d expect to see mocked at WHTM. One of the visitors, a middle-aged man walking around with some friends/family, kind of winked at one of the artisans (she’s new in the club, about 30, and she makes cool things with recycled fabric) and said as she was passing by, “Are you for sale?”

She just said, “No, but my stuff is” and I couldn’t tell whether she was angry or not. I was pretty mad. It wasn’t just creepy, it was also… well, people aren’t for SALE, okay?!

Of course I’m not saying it’s bad to flirt/joke with people – one of the woodturners joked that I was his girlfriend (and that was the reason he was giving my friend a discount) but he knew I wasn’t uncomfortable with that and it wasn’t a joke about a person being for sale. Grr.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Thanks for that, Kat. I do know that early voters tend to lean Democratic and have been clinging to the hope that the polls are tightening because fewer of the likely voters who haven’t already voted are Democratic voters. But the surge in Latinx voters was news – good news! – to me. I do remember reading some months back that Trump’s comments about Mexican had caused an influx in new Latinx voter registrations but wasn’t sure what was going to come of it.

That post did make me feel better. I’m still anxious, but that helps.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

@Axe

My mom made me do marching band in my high school freshman year. She wanted to prove that I, a high-functioning autistic female, could in fact do marching band despite the dude running it dismissing me.

However, I did not want to actually do marching band, and this wasn’t the hill I (or my feet) wanted to die on.
I made a friend, but in recent years he’s been proving himself to be disgustingly transphobic…so, yeah. Gains are low.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Troubelle

Sorry about that. Internet hugs abound <3

Subtract Hominem, the Renegade Misandroid
Subtract Hominem, the Renegade Misandroid

Clearly, the correct name for those low wraparound marching horns is sousamaphone.

Anyway, If we’ve moved on to Final Countdown covers that aren’t actually bad, then let’s break out the banjo virtuosos and the blonde wigs!

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

‘Tuba and pugs’ is funny to say, but even better if you spoonerise it XD

@epitome of incomprehensibility,

That reminds me of the old Simpsons episode (the Mr Plow one):

Every guy at the car show says the same thing!

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Troubelle
Ugh. My sympathies.

TreePerson
TreePerson
Fabe
Fabe

I never played Dragon commander. Does it seriously have that much detail , control and options when it comes to policy making?

TreePerson
TreePerson

@Fabe
If I remember there are regular meetings with representatives of the various peoples in your empire and your given a couple of options on a given topic and your choice affects your popularity with a given demographic.

JoeB
JoeB

Trump briefly rushed off stage by the Secret Service at a rally in Reno Nevada. Returned to the stage and continued speaking about a minute later. I’m not going to jump the the conclusion it was a stunt, people (including the USSS) being a bit jumpy explains it fine. Not that he isn’t going to milk it either way.

impatiens
impatiens

Anybody else gotten back into Animal Crossing New Leaf after that big update? I’ve just started a new town after having my save data deleted in the process of softmodding my 3DS ages ago, and it’s a lot of fun. Finally got all the intro crap done, got my first house expansion, and I’ve probably used my NFC reader more for this game than I did with Happy Home Designer.

JoeB
JoeB

Update: Per ABC and CNN there was a report of a gun in the crowd causing Trump to be taken off the stage. No weapon was found.

Fabe
Fabe

Given his supporters I would have thought that guns would be a common sight at one of his rallies,2nd rights and all that.

Amnesia
Amnesia

Already voted. Planning on spending election night figuring out the best mixer to combine with Absolut Pear Vodka and Midori. Tried lemonade and ginger ale, both turned out okay, but I’m thinking something with less flavor of its own is the way to go.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Right wing politicians love to claim that guns make everyone safer but they never put their money where there mouths are and allow guns at their rallies.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Absolut pears is best just as a plain martini with a cherry garnish. Or mixed with club soda or sparkling water.

I’m thinking I might do something blue colored. Perhaps vodka mixed with blueberry or blackberry juice or soda.

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina
GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

All along, I’ve refused to believe that Trumpster hasn’t alienated women and Latino/Black/non-white people and college educated white men enough to insure he can’t win. I’m going to be very interested to see how actual voting compares to the polls, because I don’t think it’s going to be nearly as close as a lot of the polls seem to indicate. I think Trumpster will bring out a lot of marginal voters who hate the thought of him in the White House. But I’ll have to admit I’m going to be very nervous until the race is called for Hillary Tuesday night. (It doesn’t help my nerves that we have a critical Senate race here in NH.)

Jesalin
Jesalin

I’d love to spend a few days up to my ears in cherry brandy (or vodka) or Kahlua, too expensive though. Not to mention, probably a bad idea anyway.

Ray of Rays
Ray of Rays

@ Kat

Thanks, that helps a lot, actually! I’ll trust a little more to hope*. Our family’s already going to be celebrating voting by going out for Japanese food on Tuesday night, including my girlfriend (who sadly can’t vote with us, yet, since she hasn’t finished the naturalization proccess…of everything at stake in this election, some are more personal than others).

<_<

>_>

In fearful day, in raging night…

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Ray
With strong hearts full, our souls ignite.

When all seems lost in the War of Light,

Look to the stars, for hope burns bright!

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I’ve sometimes wondered if married women actually vote the same way that they poll. Married women trend in polls the same way their husbands trend, so middle-class married white women poll as Trump supporters, to a lesser degree than their husbands but still a significant number.

How many of those women tell pollsters one thing, because their husbands are listening, and tell the voting booth something else, because the ballot is secret?

I don’t know of a way to answer that question, but it’s crossed my mind a few times this election.

TreePerson
TreePerson

@Policy of Madness
I’m hoping they see Trump for the sexist bigot he is and vote accordingly.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

It’s crossed my mind a few times too. During the 2004 election, I was doing door knocking and fund raising for the DNC and a couple of times a couple would tell me they were a Republican house, I’d go on my way and the wife would chase me down and slip me some cash and tell me they were secretly voting for Kerry. And Bush did not come across as overtly misogynistic the way Trump does. It would not surprise me at all if there were quite a few women who are surrounded by Republicans at home and at church but will be voting for Hillary Clinton because Trump is a huge misogynist and he’s running against a woman. How many women and whether it’s enough to skew polls, I don’t know. I guess time will tell. I’m not going to assume anything on a hunch or anything like that.

JoeB
JoeB

I saw one poll that asked married men who their wife was voting for and polled the wives in question.

ETA: Not quite that dramatic, but interesting

Ray of Rays
Ray of Rays

OT random note, I’ve finally found a decent stainless steel blue lantern ring…but only in size 14. I don’t remember how big my hands are, but probably not that big.

@ Axe

^_^

@ Policy

That is kind of weird. I have at least one cousin I know of who’s doing exactly that (voting for Clinton, but keeping it from her husband; it was the Access Hollywood tape that did it). On the other hand, there’s apparently enough polling difference to turn every state blue if hypothetically only women voted, so maybe they are counting it? v(-_-)v

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Amnesia

Pear vodka, elderflower liqueur, grapefruit juice. Trust me!

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

@everyone discussing drinks

I’m not old enough to drink, and am predisposed to alcoholism. I’ll be drowning my day in sheer fat instead–a visit to what’s essentially a Chuck E. Cheese’s sans animatronics for lunch and a lot of chocolate, cheesecake, and ice cream the rest of the day.

If Hillary wins, I’ve got a nice bottle of carbonated grape juice. If not…I’ll get some yeast. Fuck it.

1 2 3