Uncategorized

Four Days: The Final Countdown Video Party goes metal

Four days left to election day. Today’s cover version of The Final Countdown is METAL AS HELL, if by “metal” you mean “the lead guitarist apparently thinks he’s so cool he doesn’t have to hit any of the notes at the correct time.”

Today’s bonus video: Nicolas Cage goes for a short drive.

ikanreed
ikanreed

It’s almost over.

I’m scared of the aftermath though. We aren’t going to get over the tides of hate that have been created quite so easily.

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy

With a bit (or perhaps a lot) of work that could end up sounding like an awesome cover.

Frigid Virgin (hey, I'm trying to stop global warming over here, what's your excuse?)

@ ikanreed: The aftermath will be ugly no matter what, but it will be uglier if Trump wins. Don’t know if that helps any, but it’s something to hold onto?

Off-topic: I just came across a very illuminating article and I thought I’d share it, if that’s okay? It basically asks the question: What if Clinton acted like Trump? It’s… revealing, to say the least.

dlouwe
dlouwe

I’m traveling down to Seattle next Thursday for the weekend, so, I’m curious (and a tiny bit worried) about how the election results are going to influence my visit!

Dalillama
Dalillama

@dlouwe
At least in Seattle, you can legally get a joint to keep your booze company.

feartheminotaur
feartheminotaur

@ dlouwe

Here in Seattle? Very little. The city is left-leaning in general and the economy is booming (but…but…$15 minimum wage…will kill business! /s), so there’s very little incentive for anyone of fall for Trump’s lies.

Now, if you go out on the peninsula or east of the Cascades? Thar be Trump-ites.

Skiriki
Skiriki

Dang, 331Erock hasn’t done a version of this.

However, if you ever want to see “X meets metal” vids, c’mon, run there to see and hear!

dlouwe
dlouwe

@feartheminotaur

Yeah, I’ve been down there a few times, and it seems rather politically/culturally similar to Vancouver, so my worries aren’t very serious. It’s just… imagining just a few days after the election where it’s technically possible for Trump to be the new President, pretty much everything south of the border is giving me a bit of a “here be dragons” vibe.

feartheminotaur
feartheminotaur

@ dlouwe

Well, if Trump wins, say hi to the streams of refugees heading north on I-5 as you pass by!

dlouwe
dlouwe

@feartheminotaur

I’ll make sure to do up a “Welcome to Canada, eh!” banner to wave out the side of the bus.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Skiriki
Speaking of 331E:
Mr Rogers is my idol, just as a human being, so this is my favorite remix 🙂

Skiriki
Skiriki

@Axecalibur

I’m strangely fond of his various-Marvel-movies-meet-metal (especially Iron Man) and Yakety Sax/Benny Hill Theme versions.

Dude haz skillz.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@Frigid Virgin – a good article! I’ve seen that sort of argument made before, and the Trumpistas have a ready-baked reply – they say she’s already done worse, emails emails curruption benghazi. Still, it’s pretty stark for someone who lives outside of the borders of conspiracyville.

Unrelated, Keith Olbermann continues to be on-point. I shudder to think of his video if Trump wins.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

So, does anyone know where or if I can pre-order that new Nintendo mini console with all the retro games on it?

It’s not election related, but it’s highly important!

Thalia
Thalia

These daily bonus videos are the only thing keeping me sane between now and Tuesday.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Skiriki
Also, his collabs with PelleK. And just PelleK in general. Dude can scream!

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

o-o

History Nerd
History Nerd

In my experience, Trump appeals to people who are angry about the disappearance of lower middle-class jobs that you can get with just a high school diploma. There’s a perception that immigrants are taking those jobs from white Americans, but it has more to do with structural changes in the economy and education.

In terms of the specific people I know, it’s often their own faults that they don’t have more education. The opportunities are available to them, but they don’t want to go to school. They all feel they deserve an easy job that pays $50K per year without hard work or personal sacrifice, except they won’t admit that getting a college degree is hard work.

Snowberry
Snowberry

Alex Jones has been peddling the “Hillary is a Witch” nonsense for years. Looks like a handful of prominent right-wingers are trying to give public credence to that idea as a last-minute act of desperation. I’m pretty sure most of them don’t actually believe it.

History Nerd
History Nerd

It also happens that they’ve been paying attention to “alternative” news sources for a few years. Most “alternative” news (including Breitbart) is actually very heavily pro-Russian, so it promotes a worldview similar to Trump’s. Hence the perception that Trump is standing up to a big conspiracy.

Luxbelitx

I hope you don’t mind if I use this space to test the links for a few gifs of my new kitty, baby Dilma:

ETA: yaaaay worked!

Everybody, this is Dilma Miuni Rousseff <3

Nequam
Nequam

D’awwww. She’s a cutie.

Jesalin
Jesalin

*Melts* Omg so cute!!

Caerulean
Caerulean

RE: Spirit Cooking

Thank you, Makroth for posting that link!

My Google skills have let me down today while searching for an explanation for the memes already filling my inboxes.

I forwarded that link to my tinfoil hat-wearing partner and he actually apologized for believing and spreading the Alex Jones version of events. So…maybe there’s some hope for him.(Fingers are crossed as I’m rather attached to him.)

I can’t wait for this horror movie of an election to be over with, but I’m afraid the hatred and obfuscation will continue. 🙁

(Oops, I didn’t realize there was an existing commenter with a nym similar to the one I’ve chosen.)

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Cerulean
Wouldn’t be the first time. That’s why one EJ is The Orphic Lizard; there’s another ej around who isn’t.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Okay, so day update: I had a bit of a depressed moment, so I decided to channel that energy I was using to feel awful about things* into cleaning. I had already cleaned the kitchen, so I cleaned and organized my room to the best of my ability at the moment (I’m still lacking in bookshelves so I can’t organize my books or my crafting materials or my dolls like I’d like).

*My job’s really the only bad thing left in my life right now, so I feel bad about complaining about it, but it’s an awful job and I can’t wait to be actually in the field I studied for and out of a workplace that literally gives me anxiety attacks at the thought of going back.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Paradoxy

All my sympathies and condolences. I’ve been there, and it damn near killed me; I still have a stomach ulcer as a legacy to remember it by. *big hugs* and hope you have a new position soon.

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy

@Caerulean

I’m so happy i could help make that happen. I can’t even remember how i stumbled upon it. Snopes is also a good resource to help disprove myths about Hillary. I’ve encountered people who actually believe she defended a child rapist and other such flimsy accusations.

Skiriki
Skiriki

@Luxbelitx

DAWWWW!

@Axecalibur

Agreed, my fave is metal cover of “Maniac” from Flashdance.

booburry
booburry

The 11/03 episode of Rachel Maddow was pretty interesting/irritating. Pretty sure it was 11/03 anyway. It was about the guy that funds Breitbart and how he has also been funding Trump’s run in a big way. Plus how some of the leaks from FBI were straight Breitbart conspiracy theory bullshit. And the fact that it seems Rudy Guliani(sp?) knew the leak was coming days beforehand. The whole thing is very frustrating. I hope many people aren’t duped by it and still gt out and vote blue.
It’s an extra layer of terrifying how many law enforcement types are Trumpets who believe this stuff.

Dalillama
Dalillama

Apparently Scott Adams has apparently seen a precipitous drop in his speaking invitations since he got on the Trump train.

JoeB
JoeB

Makroth

Well defended a child rapist is true…
in the sense she was the public defender assigned to do it, because, you know, in America everyone has the right to competent legal representation no matter what they are charged with

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

But Dalillama (I say with surprise in my voice) surely Adams is pro-Clinton? I recall him saying that he had become pro-Clinton to avoid the violent gangs of Clintonistas who would beat him up of he wasn’t one of them. Adams would never adopt a disingenuous, dishonest stance on any matter, would he? He’s too persuasive for that.

(/s, naturally.)

Also, how can any Trump supporter oppose Clinton for having defended a child rapist? In December, Trump will be taking the defendant’s booth against charges of raping a twelve-year-old. How can they be in favour of child rapists but against the legal counsel that those child rapists retain?

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

@Dalillama You don’t say! How terrible. 😉 And I suppose the writer of the article thinks that Drumpf ‘Master Persuader’ can do no wrong? Yes, many of us on the ‘Left’ are intolerant – of extreme willful ignorance, dishonesty and hatred.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Welcome to the show, people!
Yes, you read that URL correctly. Wikileaks is trawling thru r/the_Donald for scoops, looking explicitly to hurt Clinton

Meanwhile, Marco Rubio is tryna tell Republicans to ignore wikileaks, or else risk legitimizing that shitpit any further. Then who knows what’ll happen when the snakes turn on the tamers. A little late for the ‘principled’ stand, but at least he’s being smart…

4 days. Just 4 more days

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Wikileaks stopped being Wikileaks the moment it began to post hacked information. The power of a leak is that someone in the know thought that what was going on was wrong, and broke protocol to leak it. None of the shit they are posting these days is leaked, which shows how little they think of their supposed core mission.

I am working tomorrow on an optional-yet-fun assignment, so they let me out early today and I took an epic nap from 1 PM to about 6. I wish I could get away with that every day.

That’s a big thing! My first job was in a factory, and it was so physically painful that I would usually start my day by crying over the fact that I had to go to work that day. I worked there for two years and it was the worst two years of my life. I still have some physical problems left over from that glorious time. I have nothing but sympathy for you, and I hope you get into a better employment place soon.

History Nerd
History Nerd

Scott Adams was never really all that political per se aside from the misogyny (which you can find in the Dilbert comics). He’s promoted himself as something of an expert on project management and business culture. So he’s committed to defending his prediction that Trump will win in a landslide and that commitment pushed him deeper into supporting Trump.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

After I got my followup MRI of the brain today, Mr. Parasol and I tried to vote. But once again, the early voting location we picked was so busy, we didn’t think we could finish before I had to be back at work.

History Nerd
History Nerd

@PoM Wikileaks apparently isn’t doing anything to verify the authenticity of anything that gets posted. They could easily be publishing whatever the Russian government allows them to publish.

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina
GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

I spend a lot of time on a liberal political blog, and today it’s being flooded with crap like this (regarding an article by Andrew Sullivan).

Sullivan gets it exactly backwards. His panties are in a wad for fear of Donald Trump but the prospect of a felonious Hillary Clinton and the oligarchic elitist control of the country she represents running th show is just peachy. Jeeez what a blathering idiot. Face it dems your candidate is unindicted merely because the DOJ, and its AG Loretta “Tarmac Friend of Bill” Lynch, are completely politically corrupt. If Hills is elected the scandals we are already involved in, her private email server, and the Clinton Foundation Pay for Play Access and Influence Peddling, Inc for which the private email server was necessary are just the beginning.
Donald Trump could NEVER do the damage that this hateful vengeful, corrupt, criminal, greedy, and power mad cryptomarxist will do. She will push us into a civil war with her “style”.

It seems to me that nobody could expect liberals to buy this stuff, so what they are trying to do is discourage liberals from voting — which is a lost cause, since those of us who can vote early have, and those of us who can’t will make sure to get there next Tuesday. It just does not see to me like the work of people who think they are going to win.

I am concerned that voter suppression may be enough to flip North Carolina, at least, where it’s at its worst.

By the way, IMO Assange is hoping that Trumpster will offer him asylum in the US. It’s interesting how someone’s ideals can suffer when his ass is on the line.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@Victorious Parasol,
How’s the brain? Is it behaving?

OT whine: yesterday I had to mark an essay that argued feminism was not needed in western countries any longer, and in fact was actively harming men. The depressing thing was that the student’s actual argument made sense aside from that – she wrote about lack of support for men’s mental health issues, and male victims of DV, and so on – real and serious problems. But she then used that to claim that feminism was responsible… :O

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina
GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

@Mish — but that’s the standard MRA point of view — feminists are to blame for the effects of toxic masculinity. It must be difficult to see a young women falling for that misogynistic line. Hopefully she will see the light as she gets older and sees how the world really works.

Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy
Mish of the Catlady Ascendancy

@GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina
(whose nym always makes me smile)

Yes, I know that’s the MRA line – you’d only have to read this blog once a year to be familiar with it!
She seemed a bit muddled over whether feminism had done its job (for white women, anyway) and should therefore cease to be, or whether it was actually hurting men. If she’d stuck to the lack of support for men’s health etc., it would have been a kickass essay; she had plenty of peer-reviewed research for that part.
In any case, it was a great test of my objectivity as a marker. I had a colleague moderate it for me, just to make sure 🙂

As for Wikileaks, I can’t even. So disappointed (a former fan). Axe, if you’re around, don’t you dare tease me about this – I’m sad and angry, I tells ya!

Tovius
Tovius

I just got back from early voting. Glad that’s behind me.

Jesalin
Jesalin

After I got my followup MRI of the brain today

I have one of those scheduled for later this month. Apparently my prolactin levels are a bit high and the Endocrinologist wants to see if it’s my pituitary’s fault.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

@Mish

No idea what the MRI showed just yet. Right now the brain and the rest of me? Dog tired.

@Jesalin

Hope your MRI is helpful!

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@Vicky P, don’t give up on the early voting! It makes me so upset that voting is so difficult for some people down there – you guys really should have a half-day off to do it!

And, like, an actual half day, not a sure-you-get-a-half-day-but-if-you’re-late-you-have-to-make-up-the-time. Or a be-back-in-a-half-hour-or-you’re-fired. It’s an outright sin to prevent people from voting! And yet they’re still reducing voting locations and restricting voting rights everywhere. Makes me mad!

I hope your MRI turns out well; yours too @Jesalin!

GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina
GrumpyOld SocialJusticeMangina

@Scildfreja: It is often suggested that Election Day should be a national holiday — and it probably would be, if I didn’t tend to dilute the influence of people who can easily take time off to vote as against those who have little flexibility. Another way of privileging the affluent.

@Mish: I used to be GrumpyOldMan, but I decided that I wanted to state proudly that I am both a Social Justice Warrior and a mangina. The manosphere types get really upset when someone proudly claims what they regard as deadly insults. Because of my use of mangina, Attila Vinczer (former sidekick of Paul Elam at A Voice for Men, until Elam expelled him) called me “of all the people I have encountered throughout this world, you are the most horrid despicable evil freak of nature”. I was highly flattered until I realized that he thought he was talking to our David Futrelle — obviously there couldn’t be more than one pro-feminist man in the world.

Jesalin