cuteness kitties no trolls allowed open thread

Time Out For Kitties: Non-Election Fun Stuff Open Thread

You're never fully dressed without a fake smile
You’re never fully dressed without a fake smile

An open thread for everyone sick of talking about the orange monster and/or other crappy news stuff. No trolls, MRAs, etc. Yes kitty pics, capybara pics, ponies, stuff you’re reading or watching, etc.

FoxKit
FoxKit

I’ve never watched wrestling before, kind of known about it from the odd podcast or let’s play where the commentators would mention something about it. Recently I was introduced to Lucha Underground, though, and I’m almost through season 2 of 3 and it is amaaaaaaaaaazing~ It’s got a time traveling astronaut who dresses like a power ranger and fights for justice, a ninja skeleton who breaks arms as sacrifices to his dark master, it’s got an ongoing plot about undercover cops infiltrating the underground fighting ring to put a stop to the proprietor’s plans to bring about the end of days by reigniting a war between the 7 founding Aztec tribes, and a man who is literally a dragon who took human form so he could wrestle.

There are no weight classes or divisions, so there are plenty of intersex matches, cruiserweight vs heavyweight matches, and one extremely gifted fighter named Mascarita Sagrada who is barely three feet tall and can throw down with the best of them. All the seasons are up for sale on itunes, but they put all their main event matches on youtube for free~

I’m getting so into this show and its ridiculous universe. I don’t think I’ve seen a single match so far that was worth skipping. Plus it’s refreshingly feminist in a lot of ways. It’s still got some of that wrestling baggage in others, but the ladies get a really fair shot in the spotlight, they get involved in the major stories, they get a lot of input into the content of their matches. The commentating team points this out a little too often during the first season, but it gets better as it goes on. :p

(((Chiomara)))
(((Chiomara)))

A resume of my life right now:

Kittehs kittehs kittehs kittehs

KITTEHS!!! KITTEHS kittes!!!!

kittehs! KITTEHS!

KIIIIIIIITEHS.

Obs:All of them were already adopted and will be picked up this week! ^^
I love them so much. I am sad because they are leaving but happy because I found nice home. It’s four, two black and whites and two blacks… But my pics with the other two show my face. I made the strass colars myself! And the green Pompom too :3 I can’t stop giving them presents.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

IP – that is AWESOME! Hope you and the Otter have fun tonight!

Buttercup Jr. & Buttercup II are going as Olaf and Darth Vader for Halloween this year, and they’re not amused by me singing “Do you wanna build a Death Star?”

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

@IP:
That’s an incredible costume. I love it! The book and dagger are such good accessories too.

@Chiomara:
Those kittehs are totally adorable! The one in the third picture looks more surprised than anything else, but they look utterly cuddlesome and frolicy. I can see why you’re sad to lose them.

(((Chiomara)))
(((Chiomara)))

We’ve cobbled together passable Sam & Gilly costumes for Halloween and plan to go to an LGBTQ+ bar tomorrow and get wasted. I have a dragonglass dagger (made of painted clay) and an old dusty book I picked up somewhere. Otter has a baby Sam doll and the perfect Gilly accent. Not sure what to expect from this evening.

Wellp? Sounds like the most fun night EVER. Can I go too and be the savage chick who Jon Snow likes? Easy costume, I just have to straighten my hair. Any Jon Snow lookalike is free to be my date. :p

You should watch Black Mirror, my friend said. It’s excellent, my friend said. Two episodes now, and I’m ready to accuse her of attempting to destroy my mental health.

Word. THAT THING MESSED ME UP, I VOMITTED AND CRIED AND SHIT. WHATS THE PURPOSE, ANYWAY?!? I mean, from a critical point of view it’s excellent, even TOO excellent, BUT WHATS THE POINT?! CRYING A LOT?!? Seriously, stop recommending this without giving warnings.
The pig episode… It was basically rape… And I’m really afraid of pigs… So please don’t do this, people. Shit like this is why I am in favor of trigger warnings.

@EJ Yes, that one hated to be grabbed. BUT I GRABZ ANYWAY MWAHAHAHA

ETA: Wait, is that you in the pic?!? You are not actually a cat? I am disappointed, I thought you were a cat. But seriously, though, can I say you look cute and adorable?!? SO CUTE and SO ADORABLE?! Especially dressed as Sam, I just want to SQUEEZE you :3 They should fire the actor who plays Sam and put you cause you’re SO CUTE. Also, how old are you?! You look 19 at most, but I’m almost sure you are older. Awesome. And awesome costume too.
I hope it’s alright if I say all this.

(((Chiomara)))
(((Chiomara)))

(The ETA was @IP,of course. I mean, if he’s the one in the pic)

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Buttercup

Hah! Somebody really needs to make a mismatch buddy sitcom with Olaf and Darth Vader.

@EJ

Thanks! That book was behind a padlocked door in a thrift shop, so I was worried it might be very expensive. Turns out it was about $10. :p

@Chiomara

Start a petition to get Trudeau to dress up as Jon Snow?

You are too kind. It’s all in the crappy wig, I promise :p I recently bought some corn on the cob, too. I didn’t forget about the creepy picture I promised. 😉

In return, I will compliment you on your amazing hair and (what I assume are) impressive kitten scratch wounds!

I’m actually almost 32…

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Happy day: Microsoft finally gave me an update to remove all the Get Windows 10 garbage from my computer.

((Chiomara))
((Chiomara))

@IP
No, it’s not the wig. Your face is cutie. And btw, I’m very glad it’s a wig. I wondered for a second, and I am very relieved xD
You really look very young.

Trudeau IS hawt, but I don’t think he matches that role, I don’t know…

Did you like my Minnie top that doesn’t match my shorts? Hahaha, I always forget I should take “presentable” pictures to post here and end up posting these ones.
If you post that picture I may finally get brave enough to post one with my face.
Thank you about the hair, but I respectfully disagree, this thing is CRAZY. And the scratch on my leg was made trying to get the cats from their hidden nest. Again, I didn’t hide it, cause the pics weren’t supposed to be public, but I can’t resist showing stuff to you guys (and girls and others) ^^

(((VioletBeauregarde))): Crooked Nasty Social Justice Necromancer
(((VioletBeauregarde))): Crooked Nasty Social Justice Necromancer

Last night I went to the Greene Turtle, it was noisy and crowded as always but I couldn’t resist going to a Halloween party. I went as the Angel of Death. I look scary and unsettling in the pics that were taken but that’s what I was aiming for. It was fun seeing who every else was dressed and everyone was so friendly! We had good conversations (even when we had to shout in each other’s ears to be heard) and nobody minded my minor social awkwardness (if anything, they probably found it somewhat endearing).

Sally

Yo guuuuys!

I’ve been wondering: any other mammother artist around here? 😀 if so, show off! I’d love to see your stuff 🙂
(My stuff be here: natevans.net, with links to tumblr and deviantart o/ (or you can click my name for tumblring))

hippielady
hippielady

I want to put up a pictures of my puppies (no kitties in the Hippielady household) but I can’t see to do it. Help?

Paul Beaulieu

@Sally

Like your artwork! I haven’t done much in the way of drawings lately but have done a lot of photography: you can look up “amontrealpaul” and “patterns of light and colour on tumblr, I’m also on Instagram.

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy

I’ve recently finished Dreamfall Chapters. Feels more like a conclusion to the previous Dreamfall game so be sure to play that first. Lots of emphasis on choice. Despite this, they don’t matter so much in the final chapter and i don’t think there is any way to get a ”bad ending”. Kinda light on puzzle-solving too. I really wish i could use Zoe’s dream-powers more. Those were the most interesting puzzles. Also, Saga’s… saga has a pretty dissapointing ending. Still waiting for those ”Reunification wars” i’m being promised. It better be good. I’ve also been playing alot of Painkiller. Classic fun shooter.

@hippielady

Post a link that ends in .jpg or other image file name.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

In Parasol Recovery News … yesterday I did some spinning AND some knitting, both activities my neurologist has praised for their rehab potential. Also, I have an MRI of the brain scheduled for next week to see if there’s anything dangerous still lurking around my basal ganglia.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@opposablethumbs, these threads are for you to post things that are bothering you, if they’re bothering you. Don’t you feel bad about it.

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

I’m really glad to hear that, Victorious Parasol. Your recovery is absolutely inspiring.

On a different note, I’ll also express support for Policy of Madness. I was weak and gave in to Windows 10. Congratulations on staying strong.

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

Thanks, EJ. I’m a little nervous about the MRI. I’ll have to be in the machine for half an hour, which is quite a while to be still and listen to noises. There’s a chance the MRI will show I’m at risk for sequelae, but I’m trying to be relaxed about that … after all, I could get hit by a car when I’m crossing the street.

Paul Beaulieu

Can’t figure out how to embed one of my cat pictures so I’m linking to it here.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

HOW TO POST A PHOTO in 3 easy steps

1. Upload to a file hosting service that will give you a direct link to the image (not a link to the page where the image can be viewed). I use imgur.com personally.

2. Obtain a direct link to the image (again, not the page where the image can be viewed). The link should end in .jpg, .gif, .png, etc. Imgur has gotten a little pissy about this, but a direct link can still be obtained by appending the file type to the page link. For instance, if it tells you your page is located at https://imgur.com/STRINGOFLETTERS, and you uploaded a gif, then your direct link is that with .gif on the end. If your link ends in a bunch of extra html, try just deleting all that junk and ending your link with the filetype.

3. Post your direct link in a comment on a line by itself. If https doesn’t work, try http instead. It should automagically embed.

JoeB
JoeB

Football is about to consume my life for the rest of today, but I’m going to get a Don’t Starve game started in the hour before kickoff.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

I’m so glad everyone’s doing well. Thank you for the update, Vicky P! MRIs can be stressful and uncomfortable. I hope it goes well!

My dad’s recovery is proceeding apace, he’s got a new surgery on Monday that should help him eat a bit better. That should help him recover faster overall, though he’s doing pretty well as it is.

Otherwise, anxiety and stress and whatnot – my boss seems to think that I’ll be happy to continue working for him for free between now and when the lab gets money again. I think my time in academia may be coming to a close soon… Things are going well, though, really. Can’t wait for this darn american election to end!

EDIT: Great art, Sally! You have a way with ink and markers. I used to do a bunch of arts but haven’t in a good while – I’d post, but I’m on a tablet and don’t have the files local.

Jaygee
Jaygee

@Axe, yes I suggested the sexy webcomic. I’m glad you’re enjoying it 😉

I just signed a contract to start working as an elementary school art teacher abroad at a private American school. It’s in the same city as my sister, and the apartment provided by the school will allow pets. Yay! This was something I was worried about. The unit is likely a studio apartment and small, but I’ll make sure to take my dog on plenty of walks when I’m not at work so she doesn’t feel so cooped up.

I also gave dating a try for the past month and a half. It’s been interesting. Maybe not the best idea since I’m leaving the country, but it was something I wanted to do. My dreams were very kind of explicit in telling me I missed cuddling. I’ve told all the people I’ve dated I’m leaving, so they know things won’t go anywhere in the short term. But it’s been fun. Dates have been pretty innocent. I spent one watching the second presidential debate and another walking through a cemetery (it has pretty scenery). Dating has definitely given me a self-esteem boost. Though as I understand it, I get to date on easy mode since I’m an Asian woman.

Glad to hear Victorious Parasol is doing better in recovery. It sounded like you had to go through some scary health stuff and stay in the hospital for a while.

I love seeing people’s costume and their creativity on display. Pretty cool Sam costume Imaginary Petal. I’m going as Fionna from Adventure Time. I bought a costume. The costume clothes suck, but the accessories are ok. So I bought a real shirt and skirt for my Fionna costume instead. My friends and I are gonna go out to the Castro in SF to celebrate Halloween tonight.

Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden
Sinkable John : Pansy Ass Pinko, Regicidal Beast-of-Burden

So… hi, am back :p

Been a rough month and I finally crawled back into my hole, so here I be. Hey at least I have internet access again.

impatiens
impatiens

Time for me to introduce my little fuzzballs.

This is my older cat, Alley. About 15 years old. Main hobbies are sleeping in the sun, eating her food too fast for her stomach to handle, and demanding lots of cuddles from me, her favorite human.

This is my younger cat, Titania. About 8 years old. Main hobbies are sneezing, demanding pettings by nudging human’s hands away from everything else that isn’t her, sleeping in odd spots, showing her butt off on Skype, and getting herself in weird situations.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

@guest

This was on the Cassie Jaye thread but I thought I’d answer it here instead:

When I was in the biz my reasoning was ‘rich people have the resources to make sure their neighbourhoods are looked after; all the better if their neighbourhoods also include people that aren’t rich.’

I don’t know where you live, but I’m in the US and there is definitely some racism behind the push for mixed-income. It isn’t even disguised; if you read stuff from the architects of HOPE VI, they admit straight out that forcible desegregation of communities was one of their first principles.

Now, I’m not in favor of segregation, but desegregation has to be handled with a healthy dose of respect for the people who are going to need to move if housing desegregation is going to occur. I’m never going to say it’s okay to force people who don’t want to move to do it. People who want to move should be supported; people who don’t want to move should also be supported where they currently live and where they intend to stay.

There’s no physical reason why communities need to be destroyed to rehabilitate the housing. That’s an entirely political decision, one based, in my experience, on the presumption that poor black people are pathological in large numbers, so we need to scatter them around if we want a good result. I would rather see desegregation occur because people want to live in mixed-race communities, rather than because their homes were bulldozed. Moving people who have formed a mutual support network far away from each other is not a recipe for success.

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Post-voting today, Roommates and I went to the Asian market.

They didn’t have my Hello Kitty candies that I’ve come to love (BOO!), but I did get some Halloween-themed strawberry pocky and some vanilla (?) Hello Kitty cookie sticks, along with my usual jar of kimchi.

We also got our usual curry buns, and I tried a “pickled mustard bun” that had mustard greens, chopped sweet pickles, and peanuts in a fried bun. It wasn’t bad, but I most likely wouldn’t get it again. I’m more of a fan of sour pickles, like dill.

I also got some shrimp chips to try (they’re…surprisingly bland. They smell SUPER fishy, but the taste is just so mild), and some Tonkatsu sauce (I’ve tried making it before, but Japanese worcestershire sauce and ketchup are so different from American…) so I’m looking forward to my foodstuffs for the next few days.

Especially when the kimchi runs out and I can use the juice to make salad dressing again!

The last time I made it, I used sesame oil, and it overpowered EVERYTHING, so I think next time I’m going to half it (maybe quarter it), and use a little more maple syrup.

I’m also hopefully going to go to Walmart later today and get a big can of Guiness for Samhain dinner (I’m hopefully making beef stew)!

So yeah, good day so far.

Lea
Lea

Kitties!

numerobis
numerobis

Any mammotheers from Iqaluit here? My SO is moving up there next week.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@John
Hey! Welcome back, pal! I missed ya!

JoeB
JoeB

There doesn’t seem to me a lot of american football fans here but I’d recommend anyway a look at the Michigan-Michigan State game, the uniforms are impressively ugly.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

Would it be too much if I posted about the journal articles I’m reading about right now? I’m pretty excited about it but I thought inheritance of social information might get unpredictable.

Danny the Chameleon
Danny the Chameleon

Happy National Cat Day to everyone in the usA!

Robert Walker-Smith
Robert Walker-Smith

Our younger son is a high school sophomore in what the district calls a ‘counseling enriched’ class. I got two calls from the class counselor this week to tell me how very well he’s doing. The second time, one of the other students had filched his PS Vita (hand held electronic fascination device), and he sat quietly and calmly doing his work while the classroom staff worked on retrieving it. “Thank you,” he told them when he got it back.

The class he’s least enthusiastic about is the mainstream graphic design class; apparently, the general education students are noisier and more disruptive than the Special Ed students he’s accustomed to.

His older brother is still at the board and care home, still hearing voices. The staff have told us that he gets more phone calls and visits from friends and family than any of the other residents. The other residents don’t mind, because he’s just so darn likeable. He always has been. I’ve told him that that’s a highly desirable trait; if his younger brother had it, he’d be king of tenth grade by now.

It sometimes takes me aback how completely I’ve inhabited the roles of husband and father. I’m grateful to have had the father I had, seeing how I grew up to be him (to the point of marrying a man eerily similar to my mother).

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Jaygee

yes I suggested the sexy webcomic. I’m glad you’re enjoying it 😉

Thank you very much. It’s so good! The characterization, the feelz, Chester is (literal) fucking machine. Solid recommendation

@Robert
Dawww!

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Nikki
Congratulations.

@Opposablethumbs

Holidays (of any stripe) are generally sad times for me because the high-profile presence of parties and get-togethers throws the relative friendlessness and isolation of non-neurotypicalSpawn into sharper relief than usual. I’m going to a birthday tea this afternoon, which is nice, but nnS has nothing to look forward to and I’m gutted and sometimes I’m plain terrified of what this may be doing to them over the years.

Nothing pleasant, IME, but I’m honestly not sure there’s a lot you can actually do about it.

@Sinkable John
Hi! Welcome back. *hugs*

@Numerobis
I forgot how huge Nunavut is. No, I don’t know anyone within a couple thousand miles of there.

@Robert
Go you.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Chiomara
Kitties! Also, while I’m sure it’s troublesome for you, I agree with IP that your hair looks great.

numerobis
numerobis

She initially was looking at a job in Cambridge Bay, which is as far from Iqaluit (and Edmonton) as Iqaluit is from Montreal.

Nunavut has three time zones. About 35,000 people total. By far the biggest “city” is the capital, where 8,000 people live.

A big change from our neighbourhood which has over 100,000 people in it, and is surrounded on all sides by city (except for the side that’s a city park I guess).

We’ve been on a crash course of learning how she can live up there. If she likes it — and the job like her — then there’ll be a question of whether I’m going up as well.

There’s a big issue with the white man’s burden, flying us up to save the local Inuit population — which is exactly what she’s been hired to do. The Inuit look at us askance because in our benevolence we tend to do things like steal their kids, destroy their culture, and ban them from using their language. Not to mention climate change.

opposablethumbs
opposablethumbs

@Scildfreja, thank you. I hope your Dad’s surgery goes well – and that the lab can’t wait to get you back. You’re a very inspiring person, if you don’t mind my saying so!

@Victorious Parasol, may your MRI be impeccable – both in smooth running, and in results.

@Chiomara, cute overload!!!! How do you say cute overload in Portuguese?
eles são tão fofos/são fofinhos de mais?

@Robert, you and your OH and the kids are just the godsdamned best. I take off all my hats to all four of you.

@Dalillama, thank you. Things fluctuate, and sometimes Spawn amazes me with how well they’re managing – and sometimes I get overwhelmed with worry (this morning was just such a time) and it’s a kind of a relief just to come out and say so. And in a way, because it’s not my tale to tell, as it were, this is the perfect place because a) you are all awesome and b) I don’t compromise Spawn’s privacy (as their name isn’t actually Spawn O’Thumbs, or not until the deed poll thing is all sorted, anyway)

Wishing all of you who do hallowe’en-y things a fun and just very very slightly scary hallowe’en, just enough for a momentary shiver and then feeling all the cosier afterwards. (we and the neighbours all live at the end of a looooong dark path; no trick-or-treater has ever come up here in all the years which is kind of funny really 🙂 )

(((Chiomara)))
(((Chiomara)))

@Sally
I love your art! No idea how you do what you do with markers!

@John
Welcome back! I hope you are OK. If you need anyone to talk to…

@Dali

@OT
Yes! There’s no literal translation, but I’d say “fofos/fofinhos demais!” (literally, “too cute”). Perfect, congratulations ^^

DandAHC
DandAHC

I know I haven’t posted here before and this is kind of an involved topic for an open thread, but I’ve been lurking for a long time and I figured this was probably where I could get the best advice for this problem I’m having. At the very least, I know I’m not going to get a lot of comments that I’m a horrible person.

It starts, at least today, with this: http://writerunboxed.com/2016/10/29/author-bryn-greenwood-on-dogs-drugs-and-decisions/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WriterUnboxed+%28Writer+Unboxed%29

It’s an interview with an author who wrote a story about an older guy getting together with a young girl (known her since she was eight, got together with her at thirteen, from what I understand), and I found myself really angry about it. I’ve always been pretty grossed out and horrified by what I consider these grooming situations that are treated as perfectly okay, and it looks like this book is making it out to be fine, given the author’s quote that she’s writing about consent and a child’s right to self-determination just like everyone else.

I’m pretty upset about it, for the obvious reasons (children really don’t have an adult’s capability for self-determination or consent to romantic relationships with their natural authority figures). But, I’m also upset because, deep down, I’m jealous. The author said she started dating much older men at thirteen as well, and I have to confess that I didn’t start dating until sixteen, and didn’t have sex until twenty-one. I’ve never had any attention from older boys/men in my life, and men haven’t really come on to me. I’m jealous of women who have had these experiences, because I feel like I’ve missed out on something. More than that, though, I feel like I’ve never been attractive or alluring to guys, or that I’ve never had that special something that allows girls to appear appealing to men. At twenty-eight years old, you’d think I would have gotten over this by now, but I’m still struggling with it.

I just want to know what you guys would advise for stopping this feeling, or if you had any consoling words. I definitely feel like a bad person for feeling jealous of kids who were by MOST moral standards been taken advantage of as well, so I that just compounds my upset right now. Any wise words?

Schnookums Von Fancypants, Purveyor of Misandrist Klondike Bars
Schnookums Von Fancypants, Purveyor of Misandrist Klondike Bars

Well, since ponies are allowed, I finally have an excuse to post this:

(Sadly not my art, but art I did pay to be drawn all purtylike)

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Chobani greek yogurt, the “flip” style, is really, really damned good. I note this because I just discovered how good it is and it’s so good I feel like I need to tell someone.

numerobis
numerobis

Just back from watching Two Lovers and a Bear, which has been on our list of movies to watch since before any job interviews. It happens to take place in Iqaluit and surroundings.

Not a warm cuddly movie!

kupo
kupo

@John
Welcome back! I’m sorry you had a shitty month. Hope it gets better.

@DandAHC
First, that author’s comment makes me sick. Second, I don’t think your experience is in any way unusual. I’ve never felt desirable or feminine in my whole life because society tells me to be those things I have to look like 0.05% of the population. I’ve felt jealous or just been completely unable to identify with people describing sexual attention they’ve received. My ex had to point out that he was extremely shallow for me to believe he ever found me physically attractive.

But the fact is physical attraction isn’t at all like what we’re taught. People have a wide variety of preferences and often find people outside their usual preferences attractive, too. I don’t care if you’re Quasimodo or Frankenstein’s monster, you’re still sexy, probably to lots of people. The part of you that tells you you’re not attractive is wrong. It’s hard to ignore it, I know, and I’m 37 and still struggle with it, but just knowing it’s wrong helps me.

Oh, and welcome!

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

I have a poll for no reason other than that I’m curious. Who is left handed? I am!

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@DandAHC

I’m a guy, in his mid 20s, who’s never been on a date, and is a virgin. You say that’s a confession you’re making. It’s not. There’s no right time for these kind of things, guy or gal. Some people do early (leaving aside the grooming thing, cos blergh) and some never do. The world tells you the way things are supposed to be and what “special somethings” you’re supposed to have. Well, my advice is fuck that noise

I don’t know how to make you feel better about any of this, but maybe try this: stop saying what you didn’t do

I started dating at 16, and I 1st had sex at 21

See, instantly a positive sentence rather than a negative one. There’s nothing to be ashamed of there, so don’t say it like you are. No need to confess, it’s not a sin 🙂

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

So many lovely things from everyone this time around! And a pony! And Iqaluit! (I so want to go there) Schnookums, I love her hair and eyes, she’s very expressive. And, thank you opposeablethumbs :3 I’m flattered.

(I’ve also certainly missed some people here, sorry! It’s late and I am on a tablet)

@DandAHC, welcome! And thank you for sharing. Not easy stuff to share! I can’t give you an answer, only some things to think about perhaps. Take them with salt. (I struggle with similar feelings of inadequacy and having “missed out”, and have thought about it a lot)

Our brains trick us into think that the know what our problems are. There’s lots of psychology on this, and lots of theories about having missed out on X in childhood, or needing more hugs, or whatever. The deeper I dig into it, though, the less the theories matter. They’re just lenses.

I feel inadequate, unloved, unlovable, and it’s not because I have these qualities – they aren’t me, they aren’t part of who I am. They’re just habits of thought, calcified through repetition. They’re no more me than my choice of breakfast. I can change them, and they will evaporate.

Accept these feelings. Accept that you feel them, that they’re there, in your periphery. Don’t feel guilty for feeling them – they’re neurochemicals, it’s silly to feel guilt over neurochemicals. It’s the guilt that keeps them there. When you feel that way, let it happen, and then let the feeling go when you’re done with it.

This is how I’ve learned to handle my depression. It’s going okay so far! Some days are good, others are bad, but overall it seems to be a good strategy for finding a lasting peace.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Also, some interesting news from over here today – just found out that a friend is trans, and has just gotten an appointment for MtF hormone therapy! He (old pronoun still in effect) sort of blindsided everyone with it, but I’m super pleased at the reaction everyone’s had. His girlfriend and friends have been very supportive, and we’re all hoping it turns out great. Ideal circumstances, basically. So, super chuffed! Looking forward to when he goes for a pronoun change and the like.

How quickly things change, too. Progress is progressin’! It has been a good day.

Nikki the Bluth Wannabe
Nikki the Bluth Wannabe

@EJ, @Dalillama
Thanks! I’ve been job-hunting for a long time, and I’m glad it was finally successful.