hillary clinton no trolls allowed open thread trump

Ten Days Now: Election, etc Open Thread

Cheeto Jesus
Cheeto Jesus

So it’s ten days until the election now, and I cannot wait until this nightmare is over. Talk about it, or whatever else you want to talk about. No trolls, MRAs, Trumpkins, etc.

JSun
JSun

Somehow trump is gaining a small amount of momentum leading up to the election. It won’t be enough (it’s like half a percentage point) but it’s scaring me a lot.

eli
eli

I am so terrified. I can cast my one little useless vote. My state will probably go for Trump. My county definitely will.

I am counting on you, rest of the country!

Please? Pretty Please? with sugar on top?

[in odd news, my sample ballot arrived today. Last election Green party was not on our state presidential ballot, but this year they are. Now I have to go google some judges]

Kat
Kat

My boyfriend has three Facebook friends who support Trump.

It gets worse.

He knows all of them IRL, two of them for years. And they’re all nice people.

Even worse: He has a sweet coworker, who seems to have some serious life challenges, who also supports Trump.

Worst of all: They’re all women, one of them a POC.

Horrible.

That said, I’m hopeful that we can vote Hillary in — and insist that she stick with the progressive agenda that Bernie pretty much made her adopt.

And I’m hopeful that Bernie and Elizabeth Warren will be strong, powerful voices in Congress.

With Katie on our side, we can’t lose.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

I suspect that trolling patterns here will shift as we approach the election. The usual suspects will need to work themselves up or dominance displays. So far it’s mostly low content aggressive emotional displays, or analytical bigots justifying how they react to anxiety about groups of people. I’m experimenting with ways of dealing with them. I’m tempted to do more with pony posting as a strategy too.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

Trump literally needs everything possible, stars and planets aligning, win the grand lottery tier luck to win. I sent my vote, and I’m happy to see him squirm in those final moments. Oh this the best early Christmas present I can hope for, Donald Trump’s name both in business, social and politics to be nothing but a muck filled wreck wasting in a rancid pool.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

In case of any kind of emergency, election-related or not, I have thankfully received a canister of pepper gel. (Sword canes seem to be prohibited on-campus.)

joekster (Bearded Beta)
joekster (Bearded Beta)

I’m actually kind of worried. Yeah, trump obviously doesn’t have a clue about how to run a country. But, neither did George W Bush, and this country not only elected him, but re-elected him after it became patently obvious that the man had no clue what he was doing.

I can only hope that the fact that Trump is also an obviously despicable sample of the human race will tilt the balance.

Also, my brother in law is a state trooper. In a very, very red state. Filled with the sort of racist, minutemen-type people who blew up the Federal building in Oklahoma City.

That could be very bad.

JSun
JSun

What I’m worried about is the possibility of an alt-right militia group attempting to take up arms when trump loses.
I know it’ll fail because they drastically underestimate the power of the U.S. military. But I’m in a state where the violence could get very bad if they start.

Terrabeau
Terrabeau

Praise Jebus, it’s almost over. I’m getting sick of all the goddamn edgelords around me who can’t wait to tell me the same tired joke of “I hope Trump wins ’cause fuck America, amirite? Up top!” Though I guess it’s better than having actual Trump supporters in the vicinity.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Pony posting is always a winning strategy, Brony.

I’m confident that there will be a President Hillary Clinton – odds are incredibly in her favour. Don’t be complacent though, friends! Vote, the world needs Trump to lose, and badly! You’re our only hope, Obi-wan!

joekster (Bearded Beta)
joekster (Bearded Beta)

@JSun: agreed a hundred times. Trumps supporters include an awful lot of people who tend to shoot things up when they don’t get their way.

joekster (Bearded Beta)
joekster (Bearded Beta)

@Schildfreja: My aunt in California sent a link out to the rest of us that may be relevant:

The introductory paragraphs say something very true: it’s not enough for Trump to just lose. If he looses by a slim margin, his supporters will just double down next election. Orange Satan needs to loose by a landslide.

Stage Manager
Stage Manager

I just moved to Florida–managed to get my registration in before the deadline. For the first time in twenty-five years my vote for President will actually MEAN something (after having spent so much time in a deep red state).

Leliel
Leliel

Not too worried about the election-relatively, which is why I’m checking Comey’s latest bed shit (the three emails that were to Hillary on Weiner’s wife’s computer) nervously despite the fact that the coverage is increasingly “…FBI director fed us a nothingburger”, and the wingnuts see evidence of a conspiracy to throw up chaff to distract from something that would actually hurt her.

Please. End.

Zatar
Zatar

This is one of the only times I’ve wished I was a US citizen so I could vote and make the chances of a Trump presidency just slightly smaller.

Kylo Ronin
Kylo Ronin

@everyone

Just thought I mentioned you’re awesome, kind, and caring folks. And that I hope my family, Mexican immigrants mostly, stay safe. Actually, that goes for everyone, you folks included, who face the worst that humanity has to offer.

Gonna go back to watching Boris Karloff in The Mummy now.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

Some/all of you have probably already seen this, but here’s former congressman Joe Walsh threatening to kill people if Trump doesn’t win.

On November 8th, I'm voting for Trump.On November 9th, if Trump loses, I'm grabbing my musket.You in?— Joe Walsh (@WalshFreedom) 26 oktober 2016

I’ve reported him.

joekster (Bearded Beta)
joekster (Bearded Beta)

@IP: Yep. Thank you for reporting him.

I really hope he’s all bluster, but this is the US. Where we have more firearms than people. God help us.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

Joe Walsh is an asshole.

He’s been tweeting violence and threating messages against Obama for years.

Not to mention how he treated his ex wife and the thousands in back support he owed…

Here is a couple of videos from when he was in office:

Of course he’s a Trump sycophant. They’re cut from the same cloth.

Jayne
Jayne

I’ve gotta say, I did learn a lot about some of my facebook friends these past few months. Turns out some people I always thought of as reasonable, kind, and well-educated are Trump supporters. That was a massive disappointment. (All of them are Canadian, and therefore not really capable of doing anything about it.) On the upside, I found out that the elderly lady I dog walk for, who I’d always figured for a religious-right type turns out to be a vehemently pro-Hillary feminist.
You never can tell I guess.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Scildfreja

Vote, the world needs Trump to lose, and badly! You’re our only hope, Obi-wan!

Not just trump, but all the down ticket fascists sharing a slate with him.

Not directly election related, but still political.

The shitshow at Standing Rock is only getting worse. They’re locking people up in fucking dog kennels now. But, yanno, the fucking malheur malcontents just walk. Fuck this country so fucking much.

Closer to (my) home, a bunch of folks were driven out of City Hall with clubs and pepper spray so that the city council could vote for the new police contract without their input.

The said police just attacked another encampment because that’s what passes for housing policy aroubd here these days.

About all the commentary I can muster on these situations consists of strings of profanity at this point.

Laugher at Bigots
Laugher at Bigots

I’m glad to live in a more liberal state (though in a rural area of the same). I can’t wait for this nightmare to be over. I hope that the Trumpets are more bark than bite and we’re all just paranoid. And I’m a cishet white male! How much worse it must be for anyone else!

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Joe Walsh is the absolute worse. And speaking of Illinois politics, let’s hope that the woman who defeated him, Tammy Duckworth wins the senate race. Incumbent Republican Mark Kirk has made some ignorant and racist remarks about her and her heritage.

Asshat.

Just thought I mentioned you’re awesome, kind, and caring folks.

comment image

And that I hope my family, Mexican immigrants mostly, stay safe.

I hope so too! I’m not as worried as many are that there’ll be some sort of major armed insurrection from Trump supporters. I think it’s mostly talk. I do however, worry that there will be an uptick in hate crimes. The far right thinks they’re some sort of silent majority forced into hiding by the PC police/jackbooted SJWs/Katie minions. If Trump loses, it’s going to prove them wrong and that’s going to cause a major crisis of faith. They’ll react to this by lashing out at others. IMO, anyway.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

For those who can but haven’t voted yet, don’t forget to do your research downticket. Not just candidates but amendments or initiatives or whatever too. And be safe out there. Those ‘poll watchers’ scare the living fuck outta me

Scoots
Scoots

My state will go blue anyway, but I am still voting for Hillary and put a “My Vote Is For Hillary” magnet next to my “Bernie 2016” magnet. No, Bernie supporters are not voting for Trump, you orange Voldemort. Hillary needs as many votes as possible. I want her to crush him.

Tragedy of the Commas
Tragedy of the Commas

This is one of their downstream effects. “There’s no official tally of how many schools will be closed nationwide on Nov. 8, according to the National School Boards Association. But in various districts from New Jersey to Nebraska, officials have canceled classes, or moved polling out of schools to other buildings this year.” (Apologies if that story has already been shared.)

But speaking of research on who and what is on your local ballot, Ballotpedia is an excellent place to start.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@joekster, that’s an excellent article. The exit ramps for people with bad ideas thing, that’s basically my #1 consideration in how I deal with people. Great article, thank you.

@Stage Manager, welcome! I haven’t seen you before! Nice to hear from you. You too, @Scoots – are you new also?

@Kylo Ronin, <3. I really, really hope that the US comes to accept immigrants as they are, culture and all. That's what it's going to take. You guys stay safe down there.

@dalillama, the down ticket votes are so important. The republicans need to be shown that America is not a nation of bigots, and that their flirtation with fascism will destroy them.

You can do it! I believe in you!

Standing Rock is… ugh, horrible. I’m so sorry about all of that, it’s a miserable situation. I’ve been following it, and yes, the scene of the Malheur terrorists being let scot-free while the protestors defending their own sovereign land are brutalized is… it’s a thing.

Your more local events are just as awful. So depressing. You can pull through! It will get better!

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Trump has virtually no path to 270 at this point, and accusers are still coming forward. According to Liz Mair, there are at least two more devastating stories against Trump that have yet to break, both of which are apparently worse than the Access Hollywood tape (and no, the recent cocaine-fueled underage sex party revelation wasn’t one of them). Unfortunately, she believes one of them has been squelched due to the prohibitive cost of violating a Trump NDA.

Still, it’s vital that we get out and vote. The downticket races are especially important, for SCOTUS reasons (ie actually having a SCOTUS at all, never mind a majority, now that Republicans are threatening to continue the blockade). The Senate is within reach. The House doesn’t look as likely, but at least the GOP margin could be eroded.

Happy balloting, and stay safe, everyone.

Sporkey
Sporkey

Dear USA,

For my birthday, I’d really like a female president. Also, democracy and our shared decency back, but I understand if that’s too much for you right now. Just at least a woman as the president will be fine.

And because I live in WI, would my fellow Wisconsinites vote for Feingold? Pretty please? With a cheesehead on top? Brandy Old Fashioned on the side?

Signed,
Sporkey

Honestly, I hope Clinton wins. I’d never thought it would happen, and on a year when my birthday falls on election day, no less. I hope things get better soon, that this is the last throes of reactionaries, that they start diminishing permanently. There’s so much more we as a nation can be, and I’d like to see many more positive changes by the time I’m a purple-haired 80 year old lady knitting dildo cosies on the front porch.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

I just found out that my county has been sending officers to help put down protesters at Standing Rock. It really pisses me off. Sheriff is an elected office in my county so writing a letter to the sheriff’s office is definitely on my to do list for the weekend.

It’s hard to believe that people still doubt that law enforcement agencies are more about protecting wealthy and powerful than public safety and justice.

Again, people find all sorts of ways of getting rich. These are diseases like everything else. You look at people getting rich, organizing trusts, and making a million dollars, and somebody gets the disease and he starts out. He catches it just as a man catches the mumps or the measles; he is not to blame, it is in the air. You will find men speculating beyond their means, because the mania of money-getting is taking possession of them. It is simply a disease; nothing more, nothing less. You cannot avoid catching it; but the fellows who have control of the earth have the advantage of you. See what the law is; when these men get control of things, they make the laws. They do not make the laws to protect anybody; courts are not instruments of justice; when your case gets into court it will make little difference whether you are guilty or innocent; but it’s better if you have a smart lawyer. And you cannot have a smart lawyer unless you have money. First and last it’s a question of money. Those men who own the earth make the laws to protect what they have. They fix up a sort of fence or pen around what they have, and they fix the law so the fellow on the outside cannot get in. The laws are really organized for the protection of the men who rule the world. They were never organized or enforced to do justice. We have no system for doing justice, not the slightest in the world.

– Clarence Darrow

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@Sporkey,

do you know how much money you would make knitting dildo cozies?

you would make so much money knitting dildo cozies

@WWTH, oh my gosh that’s awful. Write them, please do. I’d be horrified to discover that. Write them, write the newspapers, write everyone who’ll listen. That’s hideous.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

I just wanna remind you people way back when, months and months ago, when I was scared about Trump becoming a legitimate candidate and all you guys were, like, “Haha, like he’d EVER get the nomination!”

I just wanna say I won’t forgive your flippancy and I will never forget, not until President Hillary Clinton is singing her first order into law or whatever.

comment image

You don’t even wanna know what will happen if Trump wins. Mark my words.

Keith Benoit
Keith Benoit

I’m here to get a print of the Cheeto Jesus illustration. And ask for an attribution for its creator. Great piece. Also, how much for the original? If, that is, Trump didn’t already buy it with money given to his crooked charity.

Lea
Lea

Not I, Handsome.
I live on the shiny brass buckle of the Bible Belt where the only thing loved more than white Jesus is conceal and carry. I never doubted the country that elected W twice could elect Trump.

I never bet on the angels of our better nature.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

singing her first order into law

Hillary will make Schoolhouse Rock a reality!

comment image

comment image

Sporkey
Sporkey

@Scildfreja – yes! I plan to supplement retirement with creative things. My father did the same, he retired from the US Post Office early, and ramped up his stained glass window business. He does fused glass pieces and custom windows in a Frank Lloyd Wright style, as well as seasonal windows and fairies.

I’m setting a goal for 2017 to finally learn how to do rounds in crochet, as I turn 40 next year. I’m hoping that I can get that down and then figure out how to do cozies…if all else fails, I’ll try to pick up knitting and see if that works. I’m also going to try to beef up my sewing skills so that I can make steampunk clothing. Because I really want to be the weird old lady at the end of the block. Until then, everything is preparation for it.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Handsome “Punkle Stan” Jack
Just remember, in less than two weeks we get to see Trump have to face the fact that he lost. And also keep in mind in the coming months I completely believe that we’re going to head in a very dark period. Who knows maybe after the dark period of just pure awfulness we’ll all be back better than ever. If we’re lucky the Trump supporters and the rest of the GOP base will eat each other alive.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

@WWTH

I thought to myself, when I realized my mistake much too late to change it, would someone will make light of this, would someone kick a person when they’re down, when they’re on the ropes?

I thought yes, but hoped no.

Yet again, my hopes were dashed, dashed upon the cold, rough coral in the turbulent sea of life. The tempest cares not for the boats or people upon the waves, it just is, and it rages with all its power and might.

comment image

I hope you’re happy with yourself.

(Also I definitely haven’t learned to triple read the shit I’ve wrote, jesus fuck, for real.)

calmdown
calmdown

@JSun

Me too. After the Malheur jerks were aquitted I am more concerned than ever. Yet some people are STILL denying that we excuse white right wing violence/threats.

eli
eli

@ Handsome “Punkle Stan” Jack

Better Hillary singing than this one:

grrr….can’t get it to embed even without the ‘s’

it’s terrible…Donald Trump singing “Green Acres” at the 2005 Emmys

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

Overhearing a news section that covers all the racist stuff Trump has said and supported sure does solidify my choice in voting for Hillary Clinton. I am so glad that I have a pet dog to pet at the moment.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

I fear even a landslide victory won’t be enough to stop the next Trump. To me it seem that we need both a landslide defeat for Trump and a refoundation of the Democrat (or republican ?) party on more social bases.

authorialAlchemy
authorialAlchemy

I cast my vote, although I walked to the mailbox I was afraid I accidentally filled in the wrong bubble.

I’m nauseatingly anxious. I’m going fucking lose it if Trump wins.

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

Axe

Those ‘poll watchers’ scare the living fuck outta me

You’ll just love this stuff about how wildly, over the top, desperately illegal this stuff is. Rachel Maddow has covered all the steps in the saga.

In date order …
1. http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/why-rnc-fears-trump-calls-for-poll-watching-792778307865
2. http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/trump-poll-watching-call-lands-rnc-in-court-794546243979
3. http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trumps-poll-watching-scheme-creates-legal-fight-rnc
4. http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/rnc-tries-to-wall-off-trump-on-poll-watching-795443267955

Watching this day by day has been downright hilarious. You really only need to watch 1 & 4 to get both the background and the latest steps in this doomed dance. But anyone with time to spare should watch all of them or look to the relevant items on RM’s blog.

No matter which way he goes, Trump can’t stop himself from going too far and causing problems for other people.

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

@mildlymagnificent:
What’s the cost to the Republican Party of this happening? Can they just shrug it off, or is it actually going to cause real legal penalties that they’d care about?

I hope it does, I really do. But after Malheur and Standing Rock, my confidence in the legal system’s willingness to actually do the right thing has been shaken.

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

The penalty? The restrictions placed on their polling place activities was due to expire next year. Any breach of the consent decree before that period will result in an automatic extension of those restrictions for a further 8 years.

The papers lodged by the DNC are asking the court to issue a determination that the breach has already occurred and that the extension should now be enforced. Hence the RNC’s dancing about trying to say it’s nothing to do with us, while Trump’s campaign people are telling everyone within earshot about the constant daily contact between the two teams which are supporting each other with staff and offices and services.

No choreography on earth can prevent these clumsy dancers from tripping each other arse over teakettle.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

So, uh, rumour is that the FBI’s email fuckup might’ve been a deliberate attempt to discredit Hillary? That’s a bit too far into Conspiracy Land for me, but hypothetically, if it was true… The fuck kinda legal connotations would something like that have? o.O

Dreadnought
Dreadnought

With the election over, hopefully America will be able to concentrate all of their resources on ending the colossal humanitarian clusterfuck in Europe and the Middle East. I’m just so exasperated with everything that is going on in the world.

Kureten
Kureten

This is giving me post-Brexit vote PTSD.

America, please do better than we did.

1 2 3 9