Dunning–Kruger effect entitled babies hillary clinton persuasion scott adams trump twitter

#Hillbullies: MasterPersuader Scott Adams discovers hashtag of doom for Hillary C

The MasterPersuader, persuading
The MasterPersuader, persuading

Watch out, Hillary Clinton! Dilbert creator and self-described master persuader Scott Adams has discovered the Twitter hashtag that will spell your doom!

#Hillbullies.

See, it’s “Hill” for “Hillary Clinton,” and “bullies” for “bullies,” and it sounds like “hillbillies” which is HILARIOUS, so therefore LANDSLIDE VICTORY FOR TRUMP.

Let’s back up a second here, in case you don’t fully grasp Mr. Adams’ PERSUASION MASTERY.

But as Adams sees it, it’s Hillary’s supporters who are the REAL bullies, because some of them have called him “silly” on Twitter.

No, really. This is his response to someone literally calling him “silly.”

And here he is taking on someone who jokingly referred to him as the creator of the Garfield comic strip.

And here he is responding to someone who called him a “douche.”

But there was something, well, lacking about his replies, persuasion-wise. “Clinton bullies” doesn’t have much of a ring to it. Even when it’s rendered as the hashtag #ClintonBullies.

Now Adams has turned his MasterPersuasion up to 11 with a devastating new hashtag. I am speaking, of course, of #Hillbullies.

BAM.

Adams wasn’t the first to use the hashtag to go after Ms. Clinton; assorted tweeters have been using it sporadically for some time. But none of them had Adams’ reach, or his enthusiasm for the hashtag, which he’s pulled out again and again since his earthshattering discovery of it.

Apparently it has not occurred to Mr. Adams that calling someone a “Hillbully” isn’t technically an argument either.

But no matter. Adams’ fans think he’s a GENIUS.

Naturally, people have started making the memes.

I don’t know about you, but all this persuasion is making me dizzy.

(Note: I realize that I used the “fanbullies” in the headline of my last post. In my defense, I only used it twice. I hadn’t seen Adams’ tweets before using it, which must mean that I am as much of a MasterPersuader as he is for attaching “bullies” to another word.)

Turan, Emissary of the Fly World
Turan, Emissary of the Fly World

I will add that the problem with making “Hillbullies” catch on is that it is very easily misread as “Hullbillies,” i.e., uncouth people from Hull.

And from there one can easily proceed to “Hullabillies,” i.e., devoted fans of the old television show “Hullabaloo.” (I do not know that they call themselves that, but why not?)

Or so it seems to me. Then again, Scott Adams is a Master Persuader, so any phrase he picks MUST be guaranteed to lodge itself in your mind and change your beliefs.

(Though there is an embarrassment (in all meanings) of riches from which to choose, I think the single silliest aspect of Adams’s comments on the election is his unshakable belief that “Master Persuader” is an impressive, even awe-inspiring term. As the kids might say, living in a bubble much?)

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

re: “hillbilly,” Appalachia, and so forth

I live in proximity to Appalachia, but don’t recall going into the area much at any point in my life. I am, however, well aware of the notion.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Ooh, good one, Ron. Stings.

Edit: You should call us “cucks” next. Really hit us where we live.

Schnookums Von Fancypants, Purveyor of Misandrist Klondike Bars
Schnookums Von Fancypants, Purveyor of Misandrist Klondike Bars

I….I just want to grab Scott Adams by his collar and shake him in a cartoonish manner while screaming “WORDS HAVE MEANINGS!” to him. But maybe that’s just my cognitive dissonance making me hallucinate again.

littleknown
littleknown

@ Spaniard in the Works

Wait, whaaaaa???

Scott actually thinks that ISIS would prefer a Clinton presidency? And that the lack of an “October surprise”, successful, headline-grabbing terrorist attack proves that?

He actually thinks that ISIS, this cult of death, is afraid of cities they control being carbet-bombed by a fanatical U.S. President and Congress spewing anti-Muslim rhetoric? Not in their most fevered dreams could they have hoped for such a future…

Oh, but he’s not rooting for an attack, oh no, of course not — that’s a hallucination. He’s just pointing out that it would greatly increase the chance of his favored candidate, Donald Trump, getting elected — wink, wink.

That doesn’t say anything good about Trump. In the real world, electing a President because you are afraid is a very bad thing to do.

Tragedy of the Commas
Tragedy of the Commas

Similar to the thoughts in his blog that Spaniard in the Works analyzed, Scott shared this insight on his Twitter account: “If there are no sponsored terror attacks before Election Day, it means ISIS prefers Clinton. They have the means. Think about it.”

It’s true! ISIS must attack America to prove that America is safe from ISIS! Trump guarantees mass murder, which means he’s better able to protect us from mass murder! Think about it, sheeple!

Or, as Jim Sterling put it, “If there are no attacks from living skeletons before the election, it means The Dustward Bonemancers support Hillary, Think about it.”

But fear not a “Hitler-ish” Trump, my fellow Americans! For Adams has promised to kill Trump if he acts at all like a fascist!

My promise: If Trump gets elected, and he does anything that looks even slightly Hitler-ish in office, I will join the resistance movement and help kill him. That’s an easy promise to make, and I hope my fellow citizens would use their Second Amendment rights to rise up and help me kill any Hitler-type person who rose to the top job in this country, no matter who it is.

slowbeef had a counter proposal: “Elect Clinton and if she turns out to be Idi Amin? Well my friend, I will give you the heartiest mea culpa you ever seen.”

But perhaps we don’t need to fear violence from Alpha Men Who Definitely Don’t Wear V-necks (Mom!). It’s quite possible they’ll be too busy beating themselves with cudgels in an effort to “harden” their bodies.

Weird (just weird today...) Eddie
Weird (just weird today...) Eddie

@ Oogly;

white terrorism is apparently a legally sanctioned activity

I think it’s always been that way….

@ Dalillama

Black and Native folks get shat on the most

“How the Irish Became White” has some interesting input on that!

Nick G
Nick G

He’s just pointing out that it would greatly increase the chance of his favored candidate, Donald Trump, getting elected — wink, wink. – littleknown

It’s actually not clear who an Islamist terrorist attack at this stage would favour. The “obvious” answer is that it would favour Trump, but Clinton actually scores slightly higher on trust to deal with terrorism and national security. Whatever, I’m sure Daesh would love to launch a large-scale attack in the USA any time, and especially now. If they don’t, it’s because they can’t. I’m just as sure that much of the right, including Scott Adams, would be delighted, because they think it would favour Trump, and they don’t give a shit about the potential victims, unless it’s them or possibly a family member or friend.

Nick G
Nick G

his unshakable belief that “Master Persuader” is an impressive, even awe-inspiring term – Turan, Emissary of the fly world

So much so that, as someone noted (I don’t recall who, but I’m not claiming originality), he goes around Masterpersuading in public.

Tabby Lavalamp
Tabby Lavalamp

This reminds me of “#FTBullies”.

Awful people sure like to deflect.

‘I engineered the offending tweet’

As an actual degreed and licensed engineer I am offended by this remark.

ikanreed
ikanreed

@guest bad news. He’s a former actual engineer too.

The Salem Hypothesis seems to be overwhelmingly proven to me. Us engineering folk like to think we’re smart. We then think smart=right. Then things go off the rails.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

Hey, did y’all know that Ron Hyatt is Ron Jeremy’s real name?

Jaygee
Jaygee

Buttercup Q. Skullpants, can I use your following quote about the Bundy clan being acquitted elsewhere?

Re: the Oregon standoff jury nullification, that verdict was a disaster. The militias and “poll watchers” are now going to be emboldened, right before election day, because apparently it’s just fine and dandy to do whatever the hell you want in this country as long as you’re white and armed. Expect more armed takeovers of public lands, more violence, more ugliness. What a horrendous miscarriage of justice.

I like how you capture the bad precedent this court decision sets.

kokoda
kokoda

Words do have meanings: “You see, Adams has been trying for some days now to reverse the perception that Trump and his followers are bullies — you know, just because Trump has repeatedly called for protesters at his rallies to be beaten up, and his followers have gone ahead and done that, you know, that sort of thing.”

Opinions (above quote) are one thing but FACTS are another. Suggest all watch Project Veritas vids:

leftwingfox
leftwingfox

Gout be damned, I needed several stiff drinks after hearing about the Malheur Malcontents being acquitted of all charges.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

@Tabby Lavalamp

This reminds me of “#FTBullies”.

Awful people sure like to deflect.

It’s good to know I was not the only one who saw that. The sensitivity to criticism and push people into all sorts of things.

Podkayne Lives (Hairless Marsupial Gutter Nun)
Podkayne Lives (Hairless Marsupial Gutter Nun)

So, are we world-dominating, all-powerful, all-knowing shrews, or are we ignorant schoolyard bullies with no teeth who drink too much moonshine? I can never keep track of what stereotype I’m supposed to live up too each day.

It’s an especially intriguing choice, given the amount of crap I’m seeing trying to persuade me that as a coastal American I am a super-privileged soignee sophisticate who HATES hillbillies and is prejudiced against them.

Also, the fact that there was a certain amount of sneering about people from Arkansas when Bill and Hillary first came to Washington.

Robert Walker-Smith
Robert Walker-Smith

I am descended from Scots-Irish Virginians. The painful history of that American subgroup is well-known to me. If my great-great-grandfather hadn’t decided to head West until he ran out of continent, my entire life would have been very different.

Scott Adams is apparently trying to establish the Dunning-Krugerbund. He’ll have plenty of company. I also look forward to his flustered, spasmodic attempts to stuff all this wild-eyed buffoonery down the memory hole immediately after the election. He’s going to make Karl Rove look like a model of quiet dignity.

Podkayne Lives (Hairless Marsupial Gutter Nun)
Podkayne Lives (Hairless Marsupial Gutter Nun)

Since their ‘persuasion’ technique is just repeating the same bullshit ad nauseum and hoping it will convert other people, I believe the word they should be using is ‘propaganda’, but of course that word sounds scary so they prefer ‘persuasion’.

It’s sort of a combination of propaganda and an attempt at psychological manipulation. The psychological manipulation is very clunky and obvious, and not improved by the fact that they point it out to you brightly as they go along–“Lookit! I induced cognitive dissonance in you!”

I can’t even give Mr. Adams credit for inventing this behavior; I’ve been on the receiving end of similar approaches from men trying to pick me up, men trying to make me change my political opinions (they run around on the left as well, BTW), and men trying to make me buy stuff over the phone. But there is something cute about the fact that he thinks he’s a master manipulator.

Also, “Persuasion” always makes me think of the Austen novel.

littleknown
littleknown

@ Nick G

Good catch. The line should be:

He’s just pointing out that he believes it would greatly increase the chance of his favored candidate, Donald Trump, getting elected — wink, wink.

It’s not clear that terrorism would help Trump, because people aren’t buying his apocalyptic “I’m the only one who can save you” / “the world is unraveling” / “if Clinton is elected, ISIS will over-run the U.S.” nonsense. It is clear that Scott Adams thinks it would.

@ kokoda

So, the guy who sucker-punched a handcuffed protester as he was being led out of the arena, and then was quoted saying, “The next time, we might have to kill ‘im!” — was he a DNC operative???

Matthew Heimbach, the white nationalist, joining in with the crowd violently pushing a non-violent black woman back-and-forth in the aisle at a Trump rally like a pinball — also a DNC operative???

Trump telling his supporters that he would pay their legal bills if they rough up protesters — is Trump a DNC operative???

Trump telling his supporters that in the “good old days” protesters would be “taken out on a stretcher, folks” — again, is Trump a DNC operative???

James O’Keefe is a lying hack, and a convicted criminal. Every single time unedited footage of his videos has leaked, they have shown the exact opposite of what his edited footage shows. Why should he be trusted now? You know the saying:

Fool me one, shame on you. Fool me six times, shame on…a fooled man can’t get fooled again.

RiNS the deplorable
RiNS the deplorable

This place is Hillarioused!

Falconer
Falconer

Kokoda’s Gravatar is apt.

I wouldn’t trust James O’Keefe if he told me water was wet and the sky was blue.

Also, he tried to roofie a woman.

No surprise he likes Trump.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

[RiNS the deplorable]
Potential empty insult detected. Humor has a role in social conflict.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

I wonder how many of the Veritas fans were the same assholes ready to throw Van Jones and Shirley Sherrod under the bus. Or destroy Acorn. Or gut Planned Parenthood. Oh, but this manufactured, partisan hitjob is different, yuuze gaize! Then I think to all the barely legal ‘true progressives’ who were literal children at the time of O’Keefe and Breitbart’s early shittery. People who don’t remember that the people behind PV are the reason their ‘real change’ is slow. Naivety? Malice? Probably both. In short, @kokoda, get that weak shit outta here

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

Dear Mr Adams,

I’ve noticed an odd correlation: the harder you stump for Trump, the worse he does in the polls.

On the off chance that there’s a causal link here, could you please also start stumping for downticket Republicans too? I’d love to see your master persuasion skills do their magic there too.

Toodles,
– EJ

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

I hate it when trolls spam videos. Link to a news article or GTFO.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

[RiNS the deplorable]: Threat analysis.
*Subject is applying the descriptor “Hillarioused” to the WHTM commentator arena of social interaction. It is an example of “twisted humor”, humor that is funny to one group and insulting to another. It’s sole content is the manipulation of emotions. It translates to.

“You suck because you are positively associated with Hillary Clinton.”
Social threat value is negligible, this is the human equivalent of pissing on a tree. Readying social response: Muffin cannon

Firing now.
comment image

Viscaria
Viscaria

Good old RiNS “I know fuck-all about feminism in general or what its various movements and waves are, but I will claim to be specifically opposed to 3rd wave feminism because I understand that it’s the most recent stuff, and I think I look more reasonable if I imply there might have been a version of feminism in the past that I wouldn’t have a problem with” the deplorable.

comment image

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ scildfreja

Is that a donkey on the left? Does MLP have donkeys!

comment image

Scildfreja Unnýðnes

(Yes, there are donkeys. Also: Ahuizotl, Breezies, Bugbears, Centaurs, Cerberus(es), Changelings, Chimeras, Cipactli, Cockatrices, Cragadiles, Cyclopses, Demons, Diamond Dogs, Draconequui, Dragons, Fruit Bats, Gargoyles, Griffons, Hydras, Jackalopes, Manticores, Minotaurs, Orthrosi, Parasprites, Phoenixes, Pigasi, Quarray Eels, Sea Serpents, Sirens, Slingtails, Star Spiders, Tantabusses, Tatzlwurms, Timberwolves, Twittermites, Ursas, Vampires (fruit bat vampires of course), and Windigos.)

MLP has plenty of nightmare fuel in it. Also donkeys.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Shelf donkey approves!

comment image

I did dip into a few episodes to see what all the fuss was about. Have to say I really enjoyed them. They’re so well written and love the characters. Now I know there are also donkeys I’ll have to have another look.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

@Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Don’t they have sea ponies too? Or have they not been added to the new gen yet?

I like the sea ponies.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@Jack, apparently in the 2017 movie! I like them too. They’ve showed up in some comics and story books, but not in the show yet. I like them too!

I forgot a few others, too! There are Zebras, Donkeys, Mules, and Horses. Horses being bigger and less anthropomorphised, obviously. Mostly from Saddle Arabia, a neighbouring country.

EDIT – @Alan, the episode you’re looking for features Cranky Doodle Donkey in A Friend In Deed. (Also other episodes, like ep 100, but … yeah)

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Hambeast
Hambeast

David said

And here he is responding to someone who called him a “douche.”

We also learned that Clinton bullies like you attack the messenger, not the message

I just can’t get it out of my head that if that response had said “We also learned that Clinton bullies like you attack the Massengill, not the message.” instead, it would at least have been somewhat amusing.

I’m sorry for that, but a purge was necessary.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

THERE IS ALSO YACK

(They always speak with force.)

Note on the other two characters from Scildfreja’s image. They are DJ Pon-3, she who brings the WUBS in the center. The grey, cross-eyed, muffin-obsessed pony on the right is the first “ascended fansevice”, Derpy Hooves. If anyone finds Derpy to be troubling I would consider no longer posting her.

The bronie community was so obsessed with the show that an error in the art became an entire fleshed out character, and the subject of the first fandom conflict. Some people hated her for really stupid and bigoted reasons. Others has reasonable ones that had to do with concerns of representation of people who were wall-eyed or assumed to be impaired in some other way.

I thought she was an avatar for us because we honestly loved that character. Well intentioned, clumsy, but loved by everyone. Hasbro allowed the animators to keep her around in episodes, but they do not use her fandom name. They also edited the first scene with Derpy as an approved fan character. I thought it was great and was like the people in the video reacting to Derpy, but I can see how others might be concerned.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ scildfreja

Cranky Doodle Donkey

Wonderful!

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

@Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Well, at least they’re getting them soon maybe probably.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

There were sea pony references in the early fandom. It seemed a generational disagreement and humor was used in different ways. Some of the younger bronies would link things like “look what they doing on the show next!”. And it would be “Shoo be doo, shoo shoo be doo!”.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes

I love Derpy Hooves to bits. I identify with Derpy. (I prefer the name Ditzy Doo, though). I get why some people may have not liked her first speaking role, but I’ve always loved her. She’s a goof, she’s not exceptionally accomplished and is a bit of a klutz, but she’s liked and respected all the same. That’s a good message. (They play up the comedy relief too much in my opinion, though, but well, nothing’s perfect)

kokoda
kokoda

Amuses me that so many here support the reality “everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others”.

Lol.

kokoda, care to define equality for us? Just so we can be sure you know what you’re talking about.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes

The reply of kokoda notwithstanding, can I dork out about something awesome for a second?

We’re goin to Mars baby! 😀

(I know it isn’t really Mars, it’s just a simulation. I don’t care.)

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

@Scildfreja
We were obsessed with Derpy back then. I’m actually pretty happy with the social compromises that Hasbro has made with the the show and team that made it. They let the team stay responsive to the fandom and culture. The sprinkle references all over the place.

At the height of the hate and discontent about Twilight becoming an Alicorn M.A. Larson even did a short bit for the brony anthology youtube series fanseries. It might be a touch disturbing to someone who did not see the drama, spoilers “Kaboom”.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

“Incoming truthbomb!”

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

Speaking of ponies, I finally figured out something about my old pony toys that had been bothering me for a while.

You see, I always thought my Rainbow Dash had, like, a grape cabinet and grape comb for some reason? But it turns out I was confusing her with Ivy, who I even forgot I had.

It’s not like I had many ponies anyway, geesh.