Dunning–Kruger effect entitled babies hillary clinton persuasion scott adams trump twitter

#Hillbullies: MasterPersuader Scott Adams discovers hashtag of doom for Hillary C

The MasterPersuader, persuading
The MasterPersuader, persuading

Watch out, Hillary Clinton! Dilbert creator and self-described master persuader Scott Adams has discovered the Twitter hashtag that will spell your doom!

#Hillbullies.

See, it’s “Hill” for “Hillary Clinton,” and “bullies” for “bullies,” and it sounds like “hillbillies” which is HILARIOUS, so therefore LANDSLIDE VICTORY FOR TRUMP.

Let’s back up a second here, in case you don’t fully grasp Mr. Adams’ PERSUASION MASTERY.

You see, Adams has been trying for some days now to reverse the perception that Trump and his followers are bullies — you know, just because Trump has repeatedly called for protesters at his rallies to be beaten up, and his followers have gone ahead and done that, you know, that sort of thing.

But as Adams sees it, it’s Hillary’s supporters who are the REAL bullies, because some of them have called him “silly” on Twitter.

No, really. This is his response to someone literally calling him “silly.”

And here he is taking on someone who jokingly referred to him as the creator of the Garfield comic strip.

And here he is responding to someone who called him a “douche.”

But there was something, well, lacking about his replies, persuasion-wise. “Clinton bullies” doesn’t have much of a ring to it. Even when it’s rendered as the hashtag #ClintonBullies.

Now Adams has turned his MasterPersuasion up to 11 with a devastating new hashtag. I am speaking, of course, of #Hillbullies.

BAM.

Adams wasn’t the first to use the hashtag to go after Ms. Clinton; assorted tweeters have been using it sporadically for some time. But none of them had Adams’ reach, or his enthusiasm for the hashtag, which he’s pulled out again and again since his earthshattering discovery of it.

Apparently it has not occurred to Mr. Adams that calling someone a “Hillbully” isn’t technically an argument either.

But no matter. Adams’ fans think he’s a GENIUS.

Naturally, people have started making the memes.

I don’t know about you, but all this persuasion is making me dizzy.

(Note: I realize that I used the “fanbullies” in the headline of my last post. In my defense, I only used it twice. I hadn’t seen Adams’ tweets before using it, which must mean that I am as much of a MasterPersuader as he is for attaching “bullies” to another word.)

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Scott Adams is trying so hard to be relevant. It would be cute if he weren’t a grotesque human being, but he is, so it looks more pathetic than anything.

All of his tweets might as well be LOOK AT ME #popularhastag over and over

Lady_Zombie
Lady_Zombie

It’s odd. Every time Scott Adams lets slip one of his whinges of war, it conjures both an image and sound in my head, namely that of a out of tune fog horn blatting loudly whilst a sewage drain ejects its payload into a fetid river.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Oh my god, this guy is hilarious.

I can’t wait to read his reactions after the election. It’s gonna be glorious.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

How cute. Really that’s just adorably naive.

Bina

Dear Scott Adams: Your message is crap, and so are you. Also, you’re the bully. Now pull your head out and stop projecting your own faults onto your critics. The Power of Persuasion: Yu no haz it.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

I keep thinking “hillbillies” instead of Hillary, tbh. Like, really mean rednecks or Biff on a tractor in overalls or something.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

He induced cognitive dissonance like Cernovich induced Clinton’s pneumonia…

Bbz
Bbz

Didn’t he endorse HRC?

Weatherwax
Weatherwax

I may be missing some nuances, being British, but aren’t the following things true?

– Hillbilly is a slur commonly used against working class white communities in the Eastern states of Anglo-Saxon (often Scottish and Irish – I know, A-S not the best label) origin.

– These are communities often cited as easy targets for Trump, not least the ones from traditionally mining communities who are concerned about HRC’s climate change agenda.

– Scott is seeking to support Trump by using a slur (albeit an oh-so-clever play on words) that paints HRC with an association to these communities.

Explain to me again how Scott thinks this helps anyone but HRC. Assuming anyone outside the alt-right echo chamber ever sees them.

Terrabeau
Terrabeau

Oh goodness, Scott Adams is a national treasure; may he never, ever stop saying ignorant shit in public.

In other news, a jury in Oregon has just found every single one of the Oregon Standoff terrorists not guilty. They’re going to be heading back out into the world celebrities of the Sovereign Citizens movement. So, yeah. Fuck that.

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Terra
There is only one, consolation, the Bundy family and those 15 are still facing federal prosecution, facing charges of 20 to life. If then they all still are considered innocent, well I might as well call liberty dead and buried because white terrorism is apparently a legally sanctioned activity.

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

I tried to come up with something clever around Lady and the Trump, but it sounded too romantic. Which… ick.

Scott Adams continues to annoy me by misusing the term “cognitive dissonance”. He must be punished.

But not now. Now it’s raining, and I’m going to pull up a cat and crack open a book and forget about elections and idiots for a while.

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

I respectfully disagree. Chuck Tingle is a National Treasure. Scott Adams is just an ignorant shit.

About the Bundy Gang: I hope they get nailed in federal court. Fuck those domestic terrorists.

ColeYote
ColeYote

Notice that the bullying is about the messenger, not the message. As per usual.

Your message is even more reprehensible, Scott.

Lucrece
Lucrece

Well I’m an atheist living in Australia and even I am praying for November 10th (the date we will probably learn the outcome of the election in the antipodes.) At least then some of the smug will disappear from the Trumpette-sphere. (I’m a little worried about what will replace it.)

It’s finally something of a relief to live in this little, backwards, refugee-torturing, marriage-equality denying island, for a change. Never thought I’d say that, but at least the whole Pacific is between us and the US – seems safe enough 🤔

(Ps – also first time posting here – hi everyone! Long time reader, first time poster kind of thing)

Viscaria
Viscaria

Just to recap: at one point, Adams claimed that he had no particular fondness for any of the candidates. He was simply impressed with Trump’s supposedly masterful persuasion abilities. At this point, persuasion is cool and evidence of skill. Politics had nothing to do with any of it – or so he liked to say at the time.

Then, post Trump tapes, he began to claim that Clinton’s people (not Clinton herself, cause girls can’t hypnosis I guess) were the real master persuaders, and all this time he’s been trying to pull the wool down from America’s eyes. In this context, persuasion is wrong and bad and manipulative, and the ignorant everyday American must be saved from it by Certified Genius Scott Adams.

Now, he is the master persuader, since he’s discovered a hashtag. And now persuasion is a good thing again! Also, he’s using it to support his preferred candidate, who just so happens to be the same person whose persuasion skills he had been talking up for months. But he wasn’t being political then, no sir.

Also, that candidate isn’t even his preferred candidate, because he’s supporting Johnson now. And by “supporting Johnson,” of course I mean “disengenuously pretending to support Johnson in order to make some self-satisfied point about how people are making way too big a deal about Trump’s sexual assaults.”

Nentuaby
Nentuaby

Weatherwax:

Yeah, you’ve got it essentially right there. It would be a stretch to call it a slur, at least in the modern age, but it’s definitely an insult and the dynamic you describe is correct.

However, it probably won’t come across quite as badly as the base analysis paints it… It’s sort of a– hierarchical– insult? Virtually everyone who might be tarred with it doesn’t consider themselves its target, but THOSE yet-poorer, even-less-cosmopolitan hicks right over the next hill…

(((VioletBeauregarde))): Crooked Nasty Social Justice Necromancer
(((VioletBeauregarde))): Crooked Nasty Social Justice Necromancer

“Hillbullies” Yep, it’s hilarious all right but not for the reasons Scotty thinks it is. What’s the next, “#BigMeanPoopyHeads”?

Paradoxical Intention - Resident Cheeseburger Slut

Well, in order to critique your “message”, Mr. Adams, there are a few steps you must take:

1. You have to have a message.
2. You have to have a coherent message.
3. You have to have a coherent message that doesn’t change every time you make a new post to your blog or a new tweet.
4. ???
5. Profit! Discourse!

You see Mr. Adams? It’s really quite simple.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Weatherwax

Scots-Irish is the term. Poor Anglo-Saxons don’t get culturally shat on as much, nor do Germans. Poor Irish, Poles, and other white Catholics get shat on more, Asians more than that, Hispanics more than them (especially if they’re poor ), and Black and Native folks get shat on the most. There’s a brief primer on US castes.

Bina

(waves hello to Lucrece)

Howdy! Pull up a hard chair, light your scented fucking candle from the Welcome Package (on the right-hand sidebar), and a beverage of your choice. Also, make sure you have plenty of popcorn on hand for this one; it beats eating one’s fingernails, what with Drumpf’s Electoral Adventure being about to come to its ignominious end.

And welcome!

Mels
Mels

What is it with alt-righters and their ilk thinking their asinine little insults are devastating? The praise of “#Hillbullies” reminds me of the argument that “cuck” is somehow an enormous blow to the liberal psyche. It’s all very goofy.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Hi, Lucrece! Welcome!

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Notice that the bullying is about the messenger, not the message. As per usual.

Ummmm…Isn’t “hillbullies” also about the messenger, not the message?

Re: the Oregon standoff jury nullification, that verdict was a disaster. The militias and “poll watchers” are now going to be emboldened, right before election day, because apparently it’s just fine and dandy to do whatever the hell you want in this country as long as you’re white and armed. Expect more armed takeovers of public lands, more violence, more ugliness. What a horrendous miscarriage of justice.

impatiens the hillbully
impatiens the hillbully

(Name is totally worth going back in the filter.)

So, are we world-dominating, all-powerful, all-knowing shrews, or are we ignorant schoolyard bullies with no teeth who drink too much moonshine? I can never keep track of what stereotype I’m supposed to live up too each day.

Besides, didn’t a lot of conservatives get very salty about Obama’s “clinging to guns and religion” quote from way back when?

Stella
Stella

Do… do they know what persuasion means?

TirAlseen
TirAlseen

Who? Why is this guy relevant?

Imperator Kahlo
Imperator Kahlo

comment image

(Also hi and welcome to the new people!

I’m feeling a bit better, much less itchy, and maybe getting a new bed soon, which is a net good overall. Apparently bedbugs can’t get into memory foam, and I’ve been wanting a memory foam bed for a long time because I dislocate joints so easily, especially when I’m not conscious enough to be careful, so… win win! Potentially, anyway. We’ll see what happens. As it is, Small Otter and Significant Otter have been sleeping on the bed in the office, since the Otter works nights they can trade off, and it’s been cold enough that I can deal with sleeping in socks. If they’d stop biting my ears, I’d be much happier, but hopefully they’re largely being starved? Not that I’m going to mention that, because I want a memory foam bed, dammit, not the one that feels like I’m sleeping on jello in an earthquake whenever the cat decides to clean himself at night.

Also I just found a keyboard shortcut by accident that’s very useful! Ctrl + arrow keys takes you to the next/previous word or paragraph!

And it’s possible that in the foreseeable future I could have insurance, which means I could get meds again, including my ADHD meds, which means I won’t spew out long paragraphs of irrelevant nonsense! Wheeeee!!! Ok, done now.)

Lucrece
Lucrece
Reply to  Bina

Hi Bina – thanks! And thanks also Scildfreja!

The popcorn is a grand suggestion – I’ll get right on it 😂

Ooglyboggles
Ooglyboggles

@Her Grace Phryne: Tool of the Butt-Worshipping, Lesbian-Powered Elite (also cats)
That’s some great news! Hope your new bed and new meds for you. Nonsense, your long paragraphs are a joy to read.

Ichthyic
Ichthyic

I thought that WAS federal court they just got acquitted in?

clearly, someone wants these asshats out and about… someone with some serious pull.

like Koch funded the teaparty, someone is funding the sovereign citizens movement… someone with a LOT of money, and the ability to hide their influence.

the question is… what is the endgame?

Moocow

I’m still laughing from when he predicted Trump would win the election in the biggest landslide in american history.

To be fair, if you swap “win” for “lose” then I think his prediction might come true.

eli
eli

I just saw this:

Oh, you! *blush* Stop, you’ll just encourage me! (don’t stop) 😀

Currently trapped by a cat; she’s sitting on my arm, the left for a change, and appears to intend to sit there until my arm falls asleep. Which may be soon, as her bony paws and heels and whatnots are perilously close to some large nerves… At least she’s happy and purring, I guess? (She’s the one stole my username from.)

By the way, anyone else on Imzy yet? It seems like a friendly place and growing. http://imzy.com

brian
brian

so… “persuasion” is some weird code word to these people, isn’t it? do i want to know what it means?

Moocow

@brian

Since their ‘persuasion’ technique is just repeating the same bullshit ad nauseum and hoping it will convert other people, I believe the word they should be using is ‘propaganda’, but of course that word sounds scary so they prefer ‘persuasion’.

occasional reader
occasional reader

Hello.

> Iseult The Idle
+1 about the cognitive dissonance

And even after reading the definition of “persuasion” in various dictionnaries, i still fail to see why it is evoked in these tweets.
Maybe, as suggest some commenters above, it is part of some alt-right oblique thesaurus ? Like it stands for “brainwash” because writing clearly the term may be seen as too harsh (but again, what about free speech ? (sarcasm)).

Have a nice day.

Spaniard in the Works
Spaniard in the Works

Good morning everyone.

I have not read all the comments yet, so I don’t know if anybody’s already commented on it but the best part of all this is the blog post he links to in the “cognitive dissonance” tweet:

I engineered the offending tweet to make the point that ISIS appears to prefer a Clinton presidency. That puts Clinton’s supporters on the same side as ISIS, at least in the narrow sense that they might prefer the same candidate. That creates a conflict between Clinton supporters’ self-image as good people and the uncomfortable reality that they might prefer the same candidate as ISIS. If my point is credible, the predicted result is that it would induce cognitive dissonance and a literal hallucination.

And it did.

Oh, for all that is holy’s sake. The “sociological experiment” excuse? What is this, 1998?

1. Trump gains popularity when people are thinking about terrorism because the public perceives Trump to have the stronger anti-terror position. ISIS would have learned that by watching the reaction to earlier terror attacks this year.

Trump gains popularity when something happens that brings out the public’s inner douchebag. If this is the starting point of your reasoning, this is only going to go downhill from here.

2. It only takes one terrorist with some guns and ammo to capture American headlines.

I would add victims to the equation but, OK, we’ll play on.

3. It is highly likely that ISIS could inspire at least one suicide terrorist in the United States or Europe between now and Election Day if that was their intention.

Because the terrorists are omnipotent and can perform an attack just the moment they feel like it. But OK, I will accept that premise.

4. If Homeland Security thwarts a big terrorist attempt before election day, we would hear about it. So even if an attempt is unsuccessful, we would still get a feel for ISIS’ intentions.

Aaaand this is where “logic” starts to fail.
Mr. Scott Persuader Adams seems to posit that the only reason a terrorist attack can fail is if the guys in uniform save the day by tackling the baddie down among cries of “Curses! Foiled again by Homeland Security!”
If I, say, want to attack somewhere and a surveillance tells me that it’s too dangerous (well guarded, police monitored, logistically complicated, whatever), I will withdraw. In this case the attack was thwarted but nobody gets to trumpet around about it because it was conceived, planned and cancelled under the radar.

5. ISIS probably follows American presidential politics because it matters to them. Clinton and Trump are sufficiently different that it makes sense ISIS would have a preference. For example, Trump is likely to better partner with Russia, restrict immigration more, and focus more on the persuasion game against ISIS. (That last one is what they might fear the most. They too are Master Persuaders.)

I’m beginning to get tired about all the persuasion. Mr. Persuader seems like someone who’s so fascinated with his interest du jour that he’s adamant on seeing it anywhere.

6. ISIS has used Trump’s rhetoric as a recruiting tool, and that makes sense for them while he is a candidate. But a President Trump would actually have power to implement his war preferences, and that’s a different calculation for ISIS. Recruiting is a lower priority than war strategy, so it makes sense that ISIS would prefer the candidate that gives them the best odds – in their opinion – of defending their Caliphate and winning in the long run.

I don’t even know what he’s hinting at here. Help?

7. Given the assumptions above, it follows that if ISIS preferred Trump to be leading the war against them, they could greatly increase the odds of that happening by activating a headline-grabbing attack between now and election day in Europe or the United States. (Here I assume I am not telling ISIS anything they don’t already know.)

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE. “Given the assumptions above”, which is not like the assumptions were picked specially to get to this conclusion. St. Thomas Aquinas would be proud.
And the conclusion boils down to “If ISIS preferred Trump they would have attacked. They did not atack. Therefore ISIS prefer Clinton”.

Obviously there are no absolutes in this world. Maybe our immigration vetting and security services are already so good that no bad people have slipped in. But that would mean those services suddenly got a lot better than they were earlier this same year. That’s possible, but unlikely.

“Increased awareness” and “increased diligence due to the US being, oh, IN THE MIDDLE OF A FUCKING PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN” are not factors in Mr. Persuader McPersuaderson’s world.

It is also possible that ISIS isn’t thinking about American elections because they are busy defending the Caliphate. But that means the lull in attacks for the past few months is happening for some reason other than influencing our politics. What other reason can you imagine for them to take a pause?

“I can’t imagine any reason and, therefore so can’t you. Are you PERSUADED yet?”

You can see how this line of reasoning would make Clinton supporters uncomfortable. Terror is high on everyone’s list of national priorities, and no one wants to be backing the same candidate as ISIS. So if my point in the tweet seemed rational to Clinton supporters, it should – in theory – trigger them to hallucinate in order to rationalize-away their discomfort in being on the same team as ISIS (in this limited sense).

And sure enough, hallucinate they did.

That “in this limited sense” disclaimer is so transparent an ass-cover that it’s almost funny.

The most popular hallucination is that some folks see my tweet as “praying for a terror attack” so Trump can get elected. No rational person would believe I expressed a public preference for more terrorism. But that’s what many Clinton supporters saw. They literally imagined (hallucinated) that I would be delighted with a new terror attack. That’s a big hallucination. (Just to be clear, I don’t want any terror attacks for any reason whatsoever.)

For fuck’s sake. You engineer a predictable response and reply with “Ha, ha, I am pulling your strings, I’m so persuadingly clever”. You know what, screw you. Hard.

Sorry for the wall of text.

tl;dr – Scott Adams believes he’s a puppetmaster and is wanking off to his tweet responses. What a sack of shit.

ETA – and he temporarily disabled comments. Way to protect your bubble.

Moggie
Moggie

I don’t want to deploy Vizzini GIFs every time Scott Adams is mentioned, but, man, he makes it difficult.

Also, he reminds me a little of a PUA guru, but without the sex.

Turan, Emissary of the Fly World
Turan, Emissary of the Fly World

To repeat a point I have made here before: At least part of the time, what Adams means by “persuasion” is literally hypnosis. So I think that he really does believe that he and Trump are planting commands in the minds of people that will be activated at the right moment. This is why polls can be ignored–the majority may believe that they are opposed to Trump, but when they go to vote, they will succumb to an irresistible impulse.

This is the only interpretation under which Adams’s remarks make sense.

Turan, Emissary of the Fly World
Turan, Emissary of the Fly World

I repeat another point I made previously, in reference to Scildfreja’s first post: However the election ends, Adams will claim to have been proven right. Remember, he has said that Trump has a 98% chance of victory. This still allows, if only barely, for the chance of a Clinton victory. Therefore, when she wins, Adams will say that that is what he predicted all along, and that anyone who did not see this plain fact has no understanding of basic math and logic. There will be many blog posts and tweets mocking those people, and declaring his superiority to them.

In other words: A Trump victory will be a vindication for Adams. A Clinton victory will be a vindication for Adams. A Johnson victory will be a vindication for Adams. I do not know if he has ever mentioned Dr. Jill Stein (Green Party rule #1: always include her title), but I am sure he can find a way to interpret a victory for her as vindication for him.

The one thing guaranteed in this election: Scott Adams will be proven right. At least, he will believe so.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ turan

I’ve been trying to think of a play on “Mantrumpian Candiate” but I’m rubbish at this. However I’ll put out a call for Buttercup Q Skullpants; they’re really good at coming up with stuff.

Ron Hyatt
Ron Hyatt

Ha. You Hillbullies in the comments prove Scott’s point.

Turan, Emissary of the Fly World
Turan, Emissary of the Fly World

As I suggested above, EVERYTHING proves Scott’s point. He will always be proven right. If he ever appears to be wrong, that is because the person who thinks he is wrong is too dim to understand him, or is deliberately distorting his words.

pitshade
pitshade

Hillbilly is a mostly archaic term for white people native to the Appalachian Mtns. The region is historically empoverished and there have been studies to show that Appalachian people are economically and socially disadvantaged.

It is however true that people who would get called that tend to be reactionaries.

Turan, Emissary of the Fly World
Turan, Emissary of the Fly World

The obligatory Simpsons quote, after Dr. Hibberd refers to Siamese twins:

Lisa: I believe they prefer to be called conjoined.

Dr. Hibberd: And hillbillies prefer to be called sons of the soil, but it ain’t gonna happen.

Approximately half a minute into this clip:

Nanuqi of the North
Nanuqi of the North

Hi all! another lurker/newbie here

I have been intrigued by what Adams has meant by “persuasion” over the years.

It started with hypnotism, as far as I can tell, but then the meaning of hypnotism itself expanded, because he did that thing where he claimed to “hypnotize” his readers (“without the trance”) into having orgasms at his written, electronically published command.(I don’t link because it’s so skeevy and pompous it could easily trigger somebody who actually got stuck with one of this kind of creep, but it’s not hard to find.)

I think that fantasy says a lot about what he means by Persuasion: he says “come” in his blog, and his entire readership climaxes, ecstatic with his power and awesomeness – and completely helpless under him.

eew

My tentative decoding is that Master Persuader means Master, first of all. The Master Persuader controls others; that’s how you know he (always he; Adams reserves female pronouns for the objects of his scorn) is a Master. “Persuader” simply modifies “Master”; it means he does it with the overwhelming power of his superior mind, and his inherent special wonderfulness.

I’ve never seen any other alt-right use of “persuasion” like it, but then, I rarely go swimming in those swamps; I mostly read it here. I suspect this is Adams’ own special little thing.

magnesium
magnesium

The only good thing to come out of this election are the Daily Dilbert-Guy Melt Downs. I am so grateful to be blessed with this unending comedy goldmine.

Nanuqi of the North
Nanuqi of the North

@Moggie

I agree; he feels exactly like a PUA.

And I for one, can always use a Vizzini gif