alt-right antifeminism antifeminist women bullying comics cupcake douchebaggery empathy deficit entitled babies harassment men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny twitter

Comics fanbullies refuse to believe comics fanbullies drove Mockingbird writer offline

mockdet_phixr2
Modified detail of cover art for Mockingbird #8

Yet another woman has been driven off Twitter by misogynistic fanboy bullies angry that she had invaded their putatively male turf. This time, the arena is comics, and the woman in question is writer Chelsea Cain, a bestselling novelist who brought her feminist sensibility to the Marvel comic book series Mockingbird, which recently came to an end after eight issues.

Cain deleted her account on Twitter yesterday, after a series of tweets aimed at the misogyny that’s still rife in the comics world.cain1

cain2

cainagain

Cain’s resignation from Twitter prompted a flood of support, on Twitter and elsewhere, from fans and others troubled by misogyny online.

Her detractors responded by declaring that it was all a big hoax — that she’d made up the misogynistic harassment she claimed she’d gotten. And also that she sucked and feminism sucked and that it was a terrible thing that she and other feminists were ruining comics and that no, the harassment of her, which didn’t exist, had nothing to do with sexism, it was just because she sucked.

Gosh, what a shock to find Donald Trump fans mixed up in all of this.

EDIT: As several people have mentioned, Mockingbird Vol. 1: I Can Explain is currently the #1 seller in Marvel Comics & Graphic Novels on Amazon.

H/T — Thanks to everyone who brought my attention to this as well as to CBR.com and Willamette Week for screencapping and posting the screenshots of Cain’s tweets.

TirAlseen
TirAlseen

Woman comic book writer being harassed on Twitter…must be a day that ends in Y.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Scildfreja

Southeast Asian Steampunk?
Ask, and ye shall receive.

occasional reader
occasional reader

Hello.

So free speech is ok, but free comic development is not ok. So selfawareness, and absolutely no double-standard. At all.
Maybe they think life will give them an achievment like a console, something like the “Whinning Achievment”, “Troll Achievement” or “Harassment Achievment”. From the bottom of her well, the frog is still complaining.

Have a nice day.

Keated
Keated

So, serious question, is there a handy list of every media property that may be worth a look because it caused tantrums in the manosphere somewhere?

Tragedy of the Commas
Tragedy of the Commas

Never had to block people until I started writing comics.

Says it all, really.

Comic book fans, and many geeks in general, will claim that they were bullied in high school and grapple with trauma from insults and verbal harassment they received. Which may very well be true. But now those same fans and geeks, usually men, are telling women and people of color that insults and harassment are just words; toughen up.

Well, thank goodness they made sure to actually dump misogynistic harassment on her to retroactively prove her right. Good Samaritans doing good work is what they are. /s

Also, FUCK that asshole who dares claim that “this has nothing to do with sexism, she’s just a bad writer”. Holy fuck do I wish that I had some handy chart showing “number of times women are accused of being bad writers” vs “number of times men are accused of being bad writers”.

It’s almost as if when a woman isn’t working within a box of behaviors acceptable to a specific audience, she’s torn down and all manner of harassment and threats are justified.

Which is a phenomenon that is in no way anything like the treatment of women who aren’t perceived of as sufficiently liberal. Nope. Not at all.

Matt C
Matt C

That’s a pretty cool idea. Easiest thing would be to just create one here:

lkeke35
lkeke35

For all you guys wondering about Black Steampunk, its called SteamFunk (and a bunch of other names) and there are many different kinds, with anthology series, short films and cosplay. Its beautiful:

AFROPUNK – … the other Black experience

And visit the website Chronicles of Harriet, which deals with all things Steampunk, SteamFunk, Afro Punk, Afro-Future Punk, etc. in the Black community. It even has cosplay and costume segments for the Black cosplayer. They’re gorgeous!

lkeke35
lkeke35

As for Asian Steampunk theres:

Shanghai Steam anthology
Steampunk World anthology
The Far West anthology (its also an RPG)
Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff

And I am currently reading Toru :Wayfarer Returns by Stephanie Sorenson

The RPG:
Steamscapes Asia

LaterSpaceCowboy
LaterSpaceCowboy

“Obvious feminist trash writing”
*current #1 best seller in all of Marvel’s material*

*facedesk*

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

@FoxKit

I love video games, and I love the idea of this Zoe Quinn/Chuck Tingle collaboration. My concern though is that things that are made with the purpose of being so-bad-it’s-good tend to just be bad.

I intend to pledge as a Spaghetti Sweetie, and recommend the same to others, because “spaghetti” is tied to a bunch of memes on 4chan and I expect a significant number of awful people will feel upset about “their” jokes being appropriated.

LaterSpaceCowboy
LaterSpaceCowboy

@Tragedy of the Commas

1st: AWESOME username. I’m 1,000,000% jeally. Respect!

2nd: Your article link from the TheEstablishment.co is FANTASTIC. This quote, in particular, is well worth sharing:

White nationalist David Duke high-fiving Assange on Twitter is a sign that it’s long, long overdue for progressives to consider the source of the material leading them to think certain feminist and black journalists are traitors to all that is right and good.

This is the first I’ve heard about this. Am I living under a rock inadvertently, or is this not something that has been reported sufficiently? To me, if someone hobnobs with a prominent white nationalist and former grand dragon of the Klan, this immediately calls everything about that person into question. I suppose that may be the fallacy of the poisoned well, but racism is SUCH a noxious, ubiquitous, and pernicious toxin that frankly I’d like to be a few counties away from the well at this point.

Really quality share! Thank you for enlightening me today 🙂

@Lkeke

its called SteamFunk

Right on, sista!
*digs thru links*

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ axe

There was something I wanted to run past you, but I’m not sure if it’s a bit weird. But as we’re speaking about comics. For various reasons I’ve been on a bit of a nostalgia trip in regards to some Brit comics of my youth. You’ve mentioned you’re a fan of The Wall so there’s one character I thought you might be interested in. She was the first black woman main character with her own strip over here. The backstory behind how she was created is, I think, quite interesting in itself. But I’d be interested in your take on her. Please tell me to stick if I’m being out of order, but if you wouldn’t mind having a look let me know. Cheers.

@Alan
Ominous af, but whatever. Go for it, bruh

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ axe

Here we go, meet Ms Ebony Jones.

First perhaps a little background as to how she came about. Back in the 70s IPC publishing brought out a comic called ‘Action’. It was phenomenally popular. Unfortunately it got banned and was effectively relaunched as ‘2000AD’ (the theory being that they could get away with the themes if they presented them in a sci-fi/fantasy context). IPC’s main rival DC Thompson created a comic called ‘The Crunch’ to compete with Action/2000AD. IPC then created a distaff version of 2000AD called Misty. So again DC Thompson set out to create their own version. The rule was ‘no ponies, no ballerinas’. Unfortuately the project was abandoned. However Ebony was one of the stritps they’d created and they though she was too good to waste so they published the stories in The Crunch.

As to Ebony herself, she’s the daughter of an ex British army officer and works for the special missions section of MI6. Apart from her name and her ‘She’s black, beautiful and deadly’ tagline, her ethnicity didn’t appear to be a major feature of the stores themselves; although she wasn’t a fan of racists. Anyway, I can dig a bit more stuff up if you’re interested.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@Dalillama, of course the Girl Genius would be first to bat with exactly the steampunk I was looking for. Thank you 😉

Gotta say though, Steamfunk? My god that sounds awesome. Reading that article I can understand the issue – Steampunk generally has this Victoriana bent to it that hauls a lot of colonial and imperial visions which clash with a lot of, well. With a lot of humanity. Still, I’m super pleased that it’s being chewed up and digested by other cultures, making it into something new and unique.

(I’d really, really like to see some alternate history fiction where the Kingdom of Mali/Songhai was able to fend off the colonial powers, and where Ethiopia managed to fend off the Italians and reclaim old Abyssinia. That would make a great story, I think. That’s just me though!)

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

The video game Guns of Icarus was made by a team of British people of Asian ethnicity, IIRC. Given that it’s a game about steam-powered airship combat in which you can dress up your characters in waistcoats, corsets and goggles, I defy anyone to say that it’s not steampunk.

The band Sunday Driver do a fusion of steampunk folk-rock music with traditional Indian music, based around steampunk themes and played whilst wearing goggles, so I would argue that they count too.

(They’re completely awesome, by the way. Just saying.)

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Guns of Icarus

yessssssss

pew pew pew!

@Alan

Ms Ebony Jones

Ha! Perfect

a distaff version of 2000AD called Misty

Left: Marvel’s Misty Knight. NYPD detective turned private detective with a super fantastic, golden robot arm. The fro is righteous
Right: Simone Missick. Portrayed Misty in Netflix’s Luke Cage, a comic in which Misty was regularly featured. Great casting

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

@ axe

Great casting

Indeed. Although forgive me if I recycle an old joke.

Agent: “Congratulations Simone! I’ve got you the part of Misty. It’s a three year contract, you get star billing and you’re on $100,000 an episode. You start on Tuesday.”

Simone: “For that money I’ll start on Monday!”

Agent: “You can’t; Monday’s when they’re taking your arm off”

(I’ll get my coat)

Tashilicious
Tashilicious

I wish the TV Misty Knight had a golden arm and a fro

AsAboveSoBelow
AsAboveSoBelow

Mercorgies?! *dies*

@Tashilicious

I wish the TV Misty Knight had a golden arm and a fro

I’m sayin! I waited 13 episodes for that arm, and they dare to deny me!? The fro woulda been sweet too, but her poofy curls are cool too
comment image
Apparently, she was explicitly told not to straighten her hair 🙂

chesselwitt
chesselwitt

@Axe

I’m sayin! I waited 13 episodes for that arm, and they dare to deny me!?

I know!!! I was so excited when they teased it; when it didn’t actually happen I was so disappointed. Much muttering at my computer transpired after that.

@chesselwitt
It better happen in the Defenders show. And a Misty/Colleen team up too. The debt must be repaid, Marvel!
comment image

lightcastle
lightcastle

I am sort of dreading this happening to my sister now that her comic is out.

lkeke35
lkeke35

Yeah, I was waiting for that arm and to come off and didn’t care too much for that tease later in the series. Marvel owes me a golden arm!

A Misty/Colleen teamup is the ONLY reason I’m going to watch Iron Fist.

I love Iron Fist in the comics, but I’m angry because once again we’re getting a Might Whitey in Asia trope from Marvel (on top of Dr. Strange, already) and I really stanned for an Asian American to play either of those characters rather than reproducing the same Yellow Peril narratives that ruined Daredevil.

Anyway, for the poster above there is such an African inspired Steampunk novel. It’s brand new, EVERFAIR, written by Nisi Shawl, about how The Congo had defeated being colonized by Belgium because they discovered Steam power first.

Incidentally ima huge Steampunk fan. I try to stay up on my sh*t!😄

Fabe
Fabe

@EJ (The Orphic Lizard) & Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Agreed, Guns of Icarus is awesome. I can’t wait for the new adventure game mode/spin off to launch.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@lkeke35, thank you! Everfair looks excellent, and the whole Belgian/Congo thing is something of a blank spot in my knowledge, so I really should pick it up! I really hope I get the time to do some more recreational reading soon. Sounds very up my alley! I’m not huge into steampunk but I do really enjoy the optimism of the genre.

And the style. Oh god the style. I would be a very happy pony if I could just design funky clothes all day. So good.

eli
eli

@Ikeke35

I’ll thank you, too. PZ Myers recommended this one a while back and I hadn’t put it on my library list. I’m gonna swing by tomorrow and check it out.

chesselwitt
chesselwitt

@lkeke35

A Misty/Colleen teamup is the ONLY reason I’m going to watch Iron Fist.

My understanding is that Misty’s not going to be in Iron Fist, just Colleen. We’re probably going to have to wait for Defenders for their teamup.

leandro
leandro

have you even tried to talk to her instead of making shit up atleast? https://chelseacain.com/blog/140-characters-plus-few-thousand-more-twitter-hubbub

RC
RC

She’s said it was not harassment but an overwhelming amount of detractors

But if they were calling her comic terrible I can see why with these modern jive talking pirate skeletons

Nice Guy David
Nice Guy David

There’s just one problem to your claim, David.

Chelsea Cain herself.

chelseacain . com/blog/140-characters-plus-few-thousand-more-twitter-hubbub

Quote:

I got used to a certain level of take-down tweets after that. Every time an issue came out. I’d get lots of love and support. And a handful of people who seem to thrive off making sure strangers feel hated. I guess it’s a way of being seen. It’s not different than what most comic book writers deal with, especially female ones. The tweets that bothered me were never the ones concerned with content; they were the ones that questioned my right to write comics at all, and were disgusted by the idea of a female hero having her own series.

Wednesday, I had a bubble of these types of tweets. Mockingbird had been cancelled, and they were really celebrating. Understand that this is not me looking for mentions. These are tweets in my feed, people who tag me. It is not trolling. I was not being targeted. It was just a lot of people being jerks, per usual, but in greater numbers.

I posted a comment about how I was done with Twitter. And I went downstairs.

I exchanged a few more tweets with friends later Wednesday night.
The next morning, yesterday, I woke up to find that my Twitter feed had exploded. This was before a Comics Beat story ran later that morning, which REALLY got people interested. Overnight, I had lost thousands of followers. (I’d gone to bed with about 8500.) I had gained a thousand new followers. I had been tagged thousands of times.

Comments were coming in, fast and furious, every second. I’d never seen anything like it. I saw a few of them – a lot of support, a lot of people yelling at one another – a lot of people mad at me for being too quick on the block button or too critical of comic book readers or being too feminist. A lot of them just seemed mad at women in general.

I deactivated my account. I got up. I walked my dogs.

But know that I did not leave Twitter because of rape threats or because someone had posted my address, or any of the truly vile tactics you hear about. I left Twitter because of the ordinary daily abuse that I decided I didn’t want to live with anymore.

Sure, by the time I deactivated my account on Thursday morning, the whole thing had imploded. And I bet that some of the thousands of posts on my feed were really really vicious. But I don’t know. Because you know what? I didn’t read them.

Listen and Believe.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

Wait, so 3 muffugas showed up to prove the point, all thinkin they had the smoking gun? And the “listen and believe” shit? What is it with these people and using SJW terminology they clearly don’t understand? Oh, this is just beauteous!

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

So the people who drove her off are now here trying to divert attention to the fact that they drove her off?

Is that what I’m reading here?

Are they really that upset that she deactivated her account so they cannot harrass her any more?

Poor babies. My heart. It bleeds for them.

gelar
gelar

Hey, I can do the blockquote trick, too:

I left Twitter because of the ordinary daily abuse that I decided I didn’t want to live with anymore. The base level of casual crassness and sexism.

I mean, I don’t know why somebody wants to come here saying, “No, no, ‘bullying’ / ‘sexist’ is too strong a word! You’re wrong, David! It was ordinary daily abuse.”

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Axe

I’m actually kinda glad they did, otherwise I’d’ve missed lkeke35’s book recommendation.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

I guess misogynistic abuse is okay as long as it’s not a rape threat and she’s not doxxed. You learn something new every day!

@Dali
And lo, everyone wins 😀

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

lol

Nice Guy David, I’m not sure how you got from “She was so harassed that she didn’t even read all of her tweets, just shut down her account” to “She wasn’t harassed”, but I suggest you examine the path you took ’cause it’s off the edge of the dock. You want us to throw you a life preserver?

Patrick McGraw
Patrick McGraw

@Scildfreja Unnýðnes:

Dunno if you’re into miniature wargames, but just such a Kingdom of Abyssinia is going to be one of the playable factions in the upcoming game “The Other Side,” set in the Victorian/Gothic/Steampunk/Wild West setting of Malifaux. We don’t know much yet except that they are going to be more technologically advanced than the other factions, while remaining steampunk.

Joseph Solano
Joseph Solano

Hey, that’s me! I’m in an article. Of course in a negative manner, but hey people understood what I was saying.