bullying crackpottery entitled babies hillary clinton irony alert men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny scott adams trump

Scott Adams: Trump won the debate by lurking behind Hillary, threatening to jail her

Donald Trump preparing for last night's debate
Donald Trump preparing for last night’s debate

Are any of you wondering what Dilbert creator and Dunning-Kruger poster boy Scott Adams has to say about last night’s debate? No? Too bad, because I already went and looked at his post on the subject, and it’s too loopy not to share.

Given that Adams, like Trump, is a narcissistic buffoon who’s wrong about nearly everything, it may not come as a shock to learn that Adams thinks Trump won the debate. It’s the reasons he gives for this, er, victory that are a little strange.

Let’s go through them.

First, the self-styled master persuader thinks that Trump scored big persuasion points by responding to the question about his “p***y grabbing” comments by … talking about ISIS.

As Adams sees it:

The persuasion move was that he quickly contrasted that “small” issue with images of ISIS beheadings, and cage-drownings. It was a high ground maneuver, a powerful visual anchor (like the Rosie O’Donnell move from his first primary debate), and a contrast play. In this framing, Trump cares about saving your life while Clinton cares about your choice of words. I realize the issue is Trump’s alleged deeds, not his words. But in terms of debate persuasion, Trump nailed it hard.

I’m not sure what exactly a “contrast play” is, but I feel comfortable in saying that most of those watching the debate saw Trump’s move as a “completely transparent attempt to change the subject.”

Adams then suggested that Trump’s much-discussed habit of following Clinton around the stage and lurking behind her like some kind of movie monster was actually a brilliant persuasion technique:

Clinton’s body language was defensive. Trump is physically larger and prowled the stage. He won the optics.

Adams also seems to blame Clinton for the actions of a random insect:

It only got worse when a fly landed on Clinton’s face mid-answer.

Apparently, flies never land on true ALPHA DOGS like Trump.

Adams also thinks that Trump’s not-really-joking threat to toss Hillary in jail — which many people see as proof that Trump doesn’t understand how democracy works — was actually a super-smart “visual persuasion” move.

His comment about putting Clinton in jail has that marvelous visual persuasion quality about it, and it was the laugh of the night, which means it will be repeated endlessly. He also looked like he meant it.

Adams doesn’t care much about actual policy, and assumes no one else does either, and so he’s somehow convinced himself that Trump deserves more points for occasionally sounding like he almost knows what he’s talking about than Clinton does for actually understanding the issues inside and out.

For Adams, it’s enough that “Trump threw in enough random details about Syria to persuade viewers that he knows more than they thought he knew” — which was nothing.

As for the rest of the issues, well, all Trump needed to do to beat Clinton was to pretend he vaguely knew about some of them.

We don’t know how to fix Obamacare or what to do with TPP. But by acting competent on these and other policy issues, Trump gains more than Clinton in persuasion.

TOTALLY NOT A DOUBLE STANDARD GUYS.

Adams has a few other arguments, but I’m not going to write about them. Instead, I want you to imagine Scott Adams picking his nose and then eating his boogers.

You’ve got to admit that image has a “marvelous visual persuasion quality about it,” huh?

DEBATE WON. I AM THE WINNER. I AM THE MASTER PERSUADER.

Bina

Apparently, flies never land on true ALPHA DOGS like Trump.

magnesium
magnesium

“My candidate knows nothing and has no real plans and this is good, actually” – The Dilbert Guy

eli
eli

Adams calls the post “Quick Debate Reactions from Switzerland”

Is he on vacation? Or does he have a whole series of ‘neutral’ Swiss posts?

and “bigly”?

I tried to read the whole article, but I gave up after the first paragraph

Ktoryx
Ktoryx

Falconer
Falconer

You’d think that the guy who writes the Pointy-Haired Boss would cultivate a modicum of self-awareness.

Alas, and also, alack, it does not appear to be so.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol

I’m wondering why Scott Adams thinks Trump can act competent.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

I would like to point out that strategically speaking this post is great for posting on Facebook right after the ones Bina posted about Trump looking very familiar to stalking vctims.

Even Trump’s supporters see it and it looks like shit right after hearing from the victims of such behavior.

Dalillama
Dalillama

@Vicki P
Because Scott Adams has no idea how competent people act.

BGHilton

C.S.Strowbridge
C.S.Strowbridge

“Wow. It takes some kind of skill to think that hulking behind a woman and glaring at her like some random perv on the subway right after you’ve just been accused of sexually predatory behaviour makes for good optics. It made me want to reach for the pepper spray, but whatever Adams.”

I honestly don’t know if he is stupid enough to believe what he’s saying, or if he’s just fluffing Trump, because if he didn’t, the scary Trump fans will send him death threats.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

By the way, my previous post is an example of weaponizing the anchoring bias. This is not a bad thing because normal decision making is based on rational bias, in this case using the story order to affect how the second story is viewed in order to eliminate the bias that let’s people make predatory behavior sound good (like what I see see in lots of things on FB today). Rational and irrational bias use the same processes.

hugseverycat
hugseverycat

“In this framing, Trump cares about saving your life while Clinton cares about your choice of words. I realize the issue is Trump’s alleged deeds, not his words.”

Yes, if the issue was Trump’s word choice then yes, we’d have a different argument. But it’s actually not, because actual physical sexual assault is a lot different than using the word “pussy”. I know it’s inconvenient to be defending a sexual predator instead of a person with a colorful vocabulary, but that’s just too bad for you.

Lady Mondegreen
Lady Mondegreen

“contrast play”…“completely transparent attempt to change the subject.”

Tomato, tomahto.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

I think some of the disconnect here has to do with who each candidate was talking to. Trump is talking to white men and has given up on every other demographic. Clinton is going for everyone else and has given up on trying to win over any other white men besides the ones already inclined to vote Democratic in presidential elections. Many white men are not able to consider perspectives other than their own because they don’t typically have to whereas people who not white men are used to having the white male perspective shoved down our throats by most aspects of culture. As a result, white men do not realize when they’re being pandered to and think their perspective is universal unless they train themselves to think critically about race and gender in our culture. It’s really no surprise that Adams and people like him think deflecting away from “pussygate” is a good move. They don’t understand why it was a big deal in the first place and it would never occur to them to see how disturbing Trump’s lurking and looming is. It’s no surprise they think Trump’s racist and xenophobic fearmongering is a brilliant show of strength because it wouldn’t occur to them that not everybody sees black and brown people as scary others.

I truly think that part of the k-12 schooling requirements should be that English classes most include literature by women and people of color and should include some works that weren’t originally published in English.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Ooglyboggles,

If you’re reading this, I just wanted to tell you that I texted that Trumpferatu picture to a friend and she said she laughed so hard she peed a little.

Becky Hopkins

I recently learned of Scott Adams’ failed attempt at a Dilbert-themed line of vegan burritos, so I think it’s appropriate if we just replace every word he types and says with the sounds of horrible bean farts.

Tara the Antisocial Social Worker
Tara the Antisocial Social Worker

Lurking over her like that was “good optics”????

Trump came across as totally out of control: the constant grimacing, interrupting, pacing, and looming behind her like he’s afraid of being out of the camera for even a moment. Clinton came across as calm, reasonable, and focused.

And that’s BEFORE we consider their actual answers to the questions. Can you imagine the right-wing collective tantrum if she’d called HIM “the devil”?

Bina

Ugh. Anyone else notice how much his shit is stinking of PUA rhetoric, lately? This sounds just like something Roosh V would write. Right down to the “framing” bullshit.

Also, minimizing sexual assault as a “small issue” is just plain gross. And “contrasting” it against “images of ISIS beheadings, and cage-drownings” is exactly what I would expect of those antifeminists who are always whining about Muslims and how much “worse” they are than westerners…never mind that westerners do and have done the exact same awful things at various times, often in the not-so-distant past.

Or, to put it as they might: “Why are you so mad about some guy’s awkward approaches to getting laid? There are women being stoned to death in burqas on the other side of the world RIGHT NOW! Why aren’t you getting all hysterical about those, like I am?”

Ooglyboggles

@WWTH
I’m glad she liked it! : D

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

I’ve always felt that Adams is basically a PUA, @Bina. Both he and PUA’s in general (PIG is a fitting acronym for those) fetishize pseudo-scientific rationalizations for their beliefs that women are evil and stupid. Or, no, “controlled by base impulses” and “emotional”, sorry.

Racist HBD jackasses, PUA’s, Libertarians, this Dilbert asshole (Dillhole?); they all drink from the same tepid trough – science as a prop for their pride and their prejudice.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

They will put ‘game’ after literally any fuckin word, won’t they?

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

I gotta start making a list of people whose salty reactions I need to remember to check out on election night.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@Axecalibur, anything to minimize life to a trivial entertainment with these guys. If it’s serious time then they’d have to actually address peoples’ critiques seriously, but if it’s all a game then they can be dillholes to anyone they want and it’s all in fun, right?

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

I’m thinking of taking the day after the election off. Now that I’m starting to feel more confident that Trump is going to lose*, I’m thinking a night spent drinking wine, watching election returns, and watching Trump supporters cry delicious tears.

* Don’t worry. I’m not going to get complacent or encourage others to be complacent.

Brony, Social Justice Cenobite

comment image
@Scildfreja

…dillholes…

PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic
PeeVee the (Noice) Sarcastic

I remember watching the 2012 election returns very anxiously, and when Obama got the required number of electoral votes to become POTUS and he was declared the winner, I burst into tears. I’ve never had that reaction before.

I will have a box of tissues ready this time, along with a bottle of the finest spirits, for when HRC crosses that threshold.

(Either way, I’ll be prepared, is what I’m saying.)

Ray of Rays
Ray of Rays

It sounds like someone spinning the Fallacy of Relative Privation by desperately trying to remove the first word.

Mike
Mike

Aw man, “Dunning-Kruger poster boy” is a good description of Adams – his posts are so painful and frustrating to read because he tries to write as a voice of reason and authority, but so clearly has no clue what he’s talking about.

Bina

Dillhole!

(Honestly, these two are more mature than Snotty Scotty & Co.)

Vucodlak
Vucodlak

Trump doesn’t give a fuck about saving anyone’s life. His talk of implementing official torture programs, of murdering terrorists’ families, of using nuclear weapons, and other heinous acts puts every person who is so much as sympathetic to the United States at risk. It makes for great propaganda. Daesh ought to send him a muffin basket.

As for his stalking around behind Clinton, it was such a transparent attempt to keep himself on camera and the center of attention that it was frankly pathetic. He might as well have been stamping his feet and whining “Pay attention to me now!” I’d wager the man has never won a poker game in his life, except for those he’s played with people who wanted to use him for something. Or with people who were afraid the tiny-handed tyrant would screw them over if they didn’t let him win. The idea of this blowhard being the chief negotiator for our country is truly sickening.

There isn’t much to say about Trump’s “special prosecutor” threats. Resorting to petty threats always, ALWAYS makes one look like a weak-willed loser. Whatever happened to “I wouldn’t tell the enemy my plans,” Mr. Trump?

The only positive thing I can say about last night’s debate is that it didn’t turn into a riot. Towards the beginning, the mood of the crowd was so ugly I honestly thought it might. Both candidates lose points for continuing to Daesh what they prefer to be called. If they must go on and on about them, the least they can do is grant them the respect they deserve.

One last point: Winners don’t whine about mean ol’ moderators reminding them of the rules of the debate. They suck it up and adapt their tactics. Be cool Trumpster, or the real meanies out there will eat you alive.

Schnookums Von Fancypants, Social Justice Wario
Schnookums Von Fancypants, Social Justice Wario

mildlymagnificent
mildlymagnificent

They also don’t complain that their opponent was given more time … because anyone with a working thinking machine knows that someone will fact check that. Guess what! They were almost equal – but he had a minute and a bit more than she had.

As for the stalking. That’s the killer for the women’s vote. There must be some women who don’t know that feeling, purely on a statistical basis. But for most women of any and every age, colour, creed or social group, seeing a man stalk and loom over a woman reminds them viscerally of a creepy man in the street-workplace-public transport-pub-choir-neighbourhood – or several creepy men. Creepy men who made them glad to get home or back to their group of friends or kept them afraid, looking over their shoulder for an evening, or every time they caught a bus or for the whole time they were at that workplace, in that neighbourhood, members of that drama-sport-political club.

No one can talk you out of that instant, visceral reaction. I have no idea whether Trump did or didn’t do it deliberately. Either way, many undecided women would have found their gut deciding for them.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@mildlymagnificent, I’d be totally surprised if he knew what body language he was sending out to every woman in America there. I imagine all he was thinking about is trying to assert dominance. He has absolutely no idea how other people feel – much less how a *woman* feels. Complete narcissism.

(The first time I saw him wander on the shot of her replying like that I had to shut the video off for pretty much exactly the reason you describe)

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Wrong. Clinton knew what she was doing. She deliberately positioned herself in front of Trump so he’d be less likely to interrupt her (and also to better connect with the town hall questioners). Trump, on the other hand, was pacing, grimacing, and hanging on to the back of his chair, bent over. When he wasn’t looming menacingly, he looked like he was trying to pass a kidney stone. In terms of optics, Hillary easily outmaneuvered him.

This is exactly what pisses me off the most about this entire election. Here we have one of the most experienced, competent, intelligent presidential candidates ever running against a depraved, know-nothing serial rapist and grifter, and the country is still indecisively stroking its chin, going “Hmmm….” Apparently, no matter how qualified a woman is, if there’s a man who wants the job, no matter how stupid and grotesque he might be, it should automatically go to him. The media lowers the bar for him, and raises it for her, to make it seem like more of a horse race than it actually is. All he has to do is show up, and not projectile vomit on stage, and people like Scott Adams praise him for “exceeding expectations”.

In a rational world, Hillary would have a 20-point lead in the polls.

Robjec
Robjec

About his pacing, I didn’t see it the same way you guys did, but I did see it as damaging. And it comes down to personal experiences so ueah, I just want to say that it was damaging to men who haven’t had to deal with stalking expressed that way.

The pacing made him look nervous. It’s a common nervous tick. And that he did so much of it made him look terrified. I ALMOST felt bad for him. It’s like you could see he knew he lost. And the glare just added to it. He was angry because he knew he couldn’t fix the damage he had done, and if the only other thing he can show is fear (we all know he can’t act unphased by anything by now), so he glares. He looks unprofessional and like a whiny kid who just found our they won’t get there way.

And that’s another angle on why it was damming. :p

Viscaria
Viscaria

So just to recap: according to Scott Adams’ infallible persuasiony intellect, in the last debate, Trump was less scary than anticipated (or so Adams claims) which was a good thing. In this debate, he was looming over his political opponent and threatening to throw her in jail when he wins, and that is… also a good thing. Yeah, okay.

occasional reader
occasional reader

Hello.

Well, trying to repeat words you have read/heard somewhere and put them in what you think is the right context does not make the context right. Especially when it is coming from so-called “self-improvement methods”, themselves using words from aknowledged sciences but bending them to match their own messages and contexts rather than the original ones. Sure, that may look nice, that may even give some kind of impression of seriousness and authority, especially when the reader knows nothing about the topic and is eager to believe it, but for someone with a minimum of common sense, that is just wind, vain and pretentious.
Ah, but maybe M. Adams has a diploma in social science ? If this is the case, and it is an official diploma (i.e. not from a diploma mill), then i may agree to read what he writes with more attention. Till that, in my point of view, he just makes a fool of himself.

Have a nice day.

HawkAtreides
HawkAtreides

If pacing directly behind someone and looming over them ominously were Presidential virtues, I think we would have already had our first feline President by now.

Ledasmom
Ledasmom

My cat volunteers. He pledges to eat five meals a day and fall asleep on my legs. I can state with absolute certainty that he will fulfill this pledge.
Also, when my cat rubs up against people, they smile.

Moggie
Moggie

Ledasmom, can you guarantee that your cat has never grabbed a pussy?

SpecialFFrog
SpecialFFrog

I thought this video of Trump lurking with the music from “It Follows” sums up how Trump actually came across.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

My cat knows nothing about Russia, and he’s currently putting up a wall in front of my computer screen. He will keep us safe.

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy

comment image

Ledasmom
Ledasmom

My cat grabs pussy constantly. Either the longhaired gray one, who he’s known from a kitten, or the white one, with whom he does not get along. And, let me tell you, he is huge. He would be huger except that we limit his food; as it is, he’s fourteen pounds. And he’s orange.
Actually, my cat may be bizarro-world Trump.

Moggie
Moggie
weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Cats don’t loom behind you. They dart out right in front of you so that you almost trip over them.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

Well that whole “with” versus “behind” thing can get pretty confusing.

comment image

Shalimar
Shalimar

I would give a male candidate the same general advice for reacting to Trump’s hovering nearby as I suggested in various places for Clinton (regrettably after the debate, because who expects someone to be that creepy): Hold one hand over your crotch, and say for the audience, “he’s reaching for my crotch, isn’t he?”

1 2 3