empathy deficit entitled babies men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny sexual assault sexual exploitation sexual harassment trump

Open Thread: Donald Trump brags, on tape, about sexually assaulting women

Big mouth strikes again
Big mouth strikes again

So Trump’s been caught on video bragging about grabbing unsuspecting women “by the p***y.”

Watch the video in this tweet and throw up in your mouth a little:

Yes, this is horrible Trump revelation number two billion and seven, but this one looks like this could be the straw that breaks the camel’s back, and Republicans are scrambling to condemn his comments and distance themselves from their nominee.

I don’t have much to add here but I think some of you probably do.

hippielady
hippielady

The sick part of all of this is that there will still be people who stand behind his remarks as “telling it like it is” or some such bs.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

My mother is very upset about this. She probably will never vote for Clinton but she might stay home on election day!

Michael Brew
Michael Brew

My Twitter notifications started blowing up my iPad when this came out today. It’s one of those things where people seem both horrified and paradoxically relieved at the same time. Because, I mean, a lot of us have known he’s terrible for awhile, but it’s hard for the flaky majority who seem to see Trump and Clinton as equally viable choices to ignore sexism that crude.

Nequam
Nequam

I’m not sure I could add anything that would pass moderation.

Mea
Mea

Sad thing is, the only thing that surprises me is that they got this admission on tape.

I’m sure there are tons of incidents that went unreported because he’s always got a loaded legal team at the ready to silence anyone who tried to complain.

So much slime packed into that human skin. [shudder]

Bina

The “pussy” is about to fight back.

[video removed by DF]

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

I remember some months ago that there was a rumor the Clinton campaign had some dirt on Trump that was supposed to be able to sink his campaign. I wonder if this was it. I guess we’ll find out, but this seems like the kind of thing that’s not going to go away and is perfectly timed as an October surprise.

authorialAlchemy
authorialAlchemy

Well. I’m glad I sealed my ability to vote today by registering where I attended college.

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

And how about that apology, hm? That was some sheer class, am I right?

“This was locker-room banter, a private conversation that took place many years ago. Bill Clinton has said far worse to me on the golf course — not even close,” Trump said in a statement. “I apologize if anyone was offended.”

IF anyone was offended? IF?

You’re comfortable with your choice of words, there?

So, it was a long time ago, and beside, the other side is just as bad. Nice try at deflection, you sorry piece of shit.

Nothing to see here, folks, just some light-hearted banter among us sociopaths. You know how it is, right, boys? Just can’t seem to stop talking about sexually assaulting women.

Only the good looking ones, though, we’re not pigs.

eli
eli

Yeah. I moved since the last primary and I sent in the form updating my registration last week and got my new voting card in the mail today. Technically you don’t have to do this, but I’m glad I did.

I was watching the Guardian’s live updates earlier. Every few seconds was another condemnation of him. The governor of Utah said he won’t be voting for Trump (he won’t vote for Clinton, either).

And honestly, I’m surprised people are acting so surprised about this. Seems expected.

Zyvlyn
Zyvlyn

I can’t say I’m surprised, because frankly, I’m not. However, I am glad that the media has decided that this is finally worth attention. Trump has been accused of sexual harrassment and worse multiple times, but it took him saying it himself for people to pay attention and believe it.

I’m glad that this is happening, but it’s irritating it took this long.

kupo
kupo

Wait, how is this worse than him violently raping a child? I mean, it’s bad but the Republican party didn’t all turn on him like this after that news surfaced. Honestly I expected this response back then and when it never happened I just assumed they were all okay with this. The shit he says here is stuff we all have always known he believes. Nothing about this is new. Arrrgh, I’m just so frustrated that his party didn’t care until they heard it in impolite terms from his own mouth. Doesn’t matter when women point this shit out.

Also,

“I apologize if anyone was offended.”

Of course he would throw out a notpology.

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

I agree that it’s not unexpected, and I actually laughed at someone’s comment that “well, at least he found a working mic.”

I think the thing that I’m reacting to is the non-apology, which is a pet peeve of mine anyway.

If he had any sense of irony (and education) he could as easily have said, “But that was in another country, and besides, the wench is dead.”

Mels
Mels

Because they’ve never believed victims. They could dismiss that child as lying/looking for attention. Jill Harth’s description of her assault by Trump bears quite a bit of resemblance to the comments he made in the Billy Bush tape, but it took a recording of Trump’s own words to get them to believe that maybe, JUST MAYBE, he’s a sexual predator.

*spits*

kupo
kupo

@Iseult
You might enjoy Sorry Watch if you hate non-apologies. They did a post on this one, too.

Michael Brew
Michael Brew
Reply to  kupo

You say that like people aren’t still denying that Bill Cosby raped the – I dunno, a hundred or so? – women who have so far accused him. Just copy & paste reasons here. Besides, it really is all about the “language,” here. I just saw an anchorwoman on the local news say explicitly that people were upset about his “vulgar language toward women.” As if cussing at women were the problem.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

@kupo

I figure the GOP didn’t respond to the other allegations because they simply didn’t have to after the media successfully buried the story, but a video can’t be buried. Pure PR.

Iseult The Idle
Iseult The Idle

@kupo thanks! I’ll check it out. I recommend My Bad for a quick hit of sheer WTF.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Yep. When it comes to rape or sexual harassment, people won’t believe it until it’s caught on tape. At this point, I’ll take it though. If this is going to be what destroys his campaign, that’s the most important thing.

I can’t wait to see Clinton milk the shit out of this at the debate Sunday.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

When even Paul Ryan thinks you’re being too sexist, you know you fucked up.

Of course, Ryan still manages to disavow Trump in a sexist way

I am sickened by what I heard today. Women are to be championed and revered, not objectified.

Championed and revered? How about women are people? Ffs. I don’t want to pedestalized and treated like a fragile flower anymore than I want to be “grabbed by the pussy.”

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Trump, putting the POS in POTUS.

Keep in mind that at the time, he was newly married to Melania, and she was three months pregnant. This was perfectly timed by the Clinton campaign. If he tries to bring up Bill at the debate, he’s toast. He may already be toast anyway. White suburban women are the only remaining persuadable demographic, and this will effectively crater his chances with them. It may even convince some evangelical women to simply stay home on election day. For months now we’ve all been asking “when is enough enough?” I hope this is finally it. It’s long past time America pulled the plug on this man.

If there’s a silver lining to this shitshow of an election, it’s that a significant portion of Trump’s past misdeeds are being hauled out into the sunshine and held up for everyone to see (and ridicule). These are actions that would have otherwise remained hushed up had he not stepped outside his bubble. He’s finished. He’s a laughingstock, his brand is ruined, there are several lawsuits and investigations waiting in the wings that threaten to drain a significant chunk of his remaining fortune (if not land him in prison), he’s in hock up to his eyeballs with foreign banks and oligarchs, and his name is synonymous with charlatan, rapist, and loser.

And still this is just the tip of the iceberg. I’ll bet the Clinton campaign has several more October surprises up their sleeve, considering that Trump is an endless fountain of vileness. He’s the gift that keeps on giving. Every few hours another damaging revelation comes out, another tape is leaked, another expose is published, another past victim comes forward, another flurry of 3 am tweets is unleashed. After this is all over, nobody’s going to want to invest in any of his business ventures, given all the revelations about his incompetence and mismanagement. US banks won’t touch him, which is why he’s had to go abroad for financing. Why would anyone do business with someone who lost a billion dollars in the prosperous economy of the 1990s? What contractor will want to work with him, knowing they won’t get paid?

He brought this all on himself by having the hubris to think he was qualified to run for President. He’s not even qualified to babysit a goldfish.

Ooglyboggles

Yeah, GOP, you can go screw yourselves. If any of you actually cared about women, or minorities, or anyone who isn’t rich and whiter than bleach you all wouldn’t have given him the time of day. He’s the manifestation of the GOP propaganda machine, the product that the Right has propped up as the qualities the poor, disgruntled, racist middle class should admire and desire in a leader. Dems do not give them a chance out, let them all burn with the Trump ship.

“My time is now.” Why yes it is person I once knew, time to show all the ugliness to the world.

Kat
Kat

Am I surprised that Trump would stoop this low — and then decide to run for president, presumably knowing that his past could come back to haunt him?

Like several other Mammotheers, I’m not surprised at all. And I’m also wondering, Why is this particular incident upsetting people? Wasn’t it clear from — I dunno — everything else we know about this man that he indulged in this kind of behavior?

At one point in my life, I would have been stunned by this kind of behavior by someone with everything to lose. But that was a long time ago

OTOH, this did surprise me:

Federal Judge Orders Hearing in Donald Trump Rape Lawsuit

But if this thing does go to trial, it would not be unmitigated good news for the left. Jeffrey Epstein, noted NYC procurer of girls for pedophiles, is involved. And from what I’ve read, Bill Clinton is also a buddy of Epstein’s. I’m not sure what the implications of that are but, you know, the truth could be really bad.

That said, it would ultimately be good for the left, the USA, and the world to know the truth, whatever it may be.

Gaebolga
Gaebolga

@Buttercup Q. Skullpants

That was worth its weight in slow claps.

Skiriki
Skiriki

Ew.

Reading the shit this miserable tangerine asshole has spewed has made me consider the idea of projectile-vomiting in bathroom like forever. 🙁

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

I reached the limits on how much I can revile Trump way the fuck back. I do, however, have plenty enough animus left over for:
1)Paul Ryan, Kelly Ayotte, Kelly Conway, Rudy Giuliani, Ted Cruz, and every other ‘serious’ person who has or still does support him, knowing full well, the whole time, who he is

2)Anyone in the news media whose telling of this doesn’t begin and end with ‘accused sexual predator is an admitted sexual predator, we’re sorry we buried that for a year, and may any and all gods have mercy’

3)Those paragons of willful ignorance and selfish entitlement who seek to justify the contents of his confession by conflating acceptance and consent and proving themselves dangerous in the process

4)The ‘nondeplorable’ Trump voter and the Johnson voter and the Stein voter, and those staying home who would help him, even slightly, out of greed, naivety, indecision, accelerationism, or egotistical purity

All of you and more. You made Donald Trump, presidential candidate, possible. May you develop a sense of shame so that you can feel about yourself the way I feel about you

@kupo + Iseult
Nthing the unpology hate

Neurite
Neurite

Having watched the tape, I was so overcome with disgust and loathing that my brain decided to skip right past the open bragging about sexual assault and instead focus on the hilarity of Trump needing someone to explain to him how to open a bus door. Guess that’s what happens if you’ve never had to do anything for yourself.

I am pretty angry, though, at the number of news outlets that are reporting that “Trump has apologized for the first time in his campaign!” No, fools, he hasn’t. As several commenters here pointed out, all he gave was a textbook nonpology served alongside a heaping helping of “there was nothing wrong with what I did” and “the other side has done worse.”

Rahu
Rahu

My favorite comment on all this is “This is what happens when he has a good mic.”

Theladyinsomnia
Theladyinsomnia

Now when I think back on some of Hillary’s smiles in the first debate I’m imagining her thinking “just wait until people hear your tape…”

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

I wish I was surprised by this. I wish I lived in a world where a rich powerful white man doing this was shocking and unusual. I wish I lived in a world where this would have resulted in a criminal conviction back when it happened.

I feel numb.

Kootiepatra

I don’t know why this is the straw that broke the camel’s back, when there have been umpteen straws just like it before–but I’m so, so glad it has. Here’s hoping the news media is finished trying to build up a “both sides” narrative.

rugbyyogi
rugbyyogi

@Policy of Madness

That’s all it takes. I’m a full-fledged Clinton fan and have been for a long time. But I do understand that she has some problems – some of them of her own making, but a lot of them because she’s a woman who is outspoken. I can be angry, sad, etc that she faces electoral challenge because of her gender, but I also accept it as a fact.

I urged Republican friends to stay home – don’t vote for Hillary if you don’t want to. But you know that you’re better than Trump. You know that’s not who you are.

I don’t know about your relationship with your mother but I urge everyone to take the high road and help people climb down after this latest (completely unsurprising to me) revelation. There is no shame in not voting if you have given it reflection and thought. If someone can’t bring themselves to vote for Hillary Clinton, the better thing to do, the moral thing to do is to not vote. A vote for that man is vote for the moral and intellectual and democratic decline of America.

On the other hand, if you’re not totally enamoured of Sec. Clinton but you’ve given it a passing thought, get your ass out and vote for her.

JCfromNC
JCfromNC

The man is a vile racist, misogynistic scum-sucking asshole, and I hope after the election is over, he ends up living a long life filled with poverty (after the various lawsuits are done) and shunned by all.

That being said…

On the one hand, given the context and the way he says it, I can believe it was only meant as hyperbole and that he doesn’t actually think it’s okay to, or make a habit of, greeting women by giving their crotches a handshake. On the other, there’s the accusations of spousal rape and sexual assault of a minor, so maybe he was speaking literally. In either case, I have no doubt what-so-blooming-ever that he’d do it in a heartbeat as long as he thought he’d get away with it.

[Last line redacted due to probable conflict with commenting policy]

OT: That baby/cat video really made me angry at whoever was filming it. That person shouldn’t be allowed to keep kids, if that’s typical of their behavior. Or cats, for that matter.

[Edited for minor readability issues]

latsot
latsot

This story is being reported on the BBC’s Breakfast show as I type. One of the anchors has just said “some might say ‘offensive'”.

They have some idiot on saying that it’s just the sort of thing that guys do and some other guys have said other things so it’s totally OK and anyway, Clinton’s policies are no good, so it’s wrong to not vote for Trump just because he’s a terrible person.

The tone of the piece is about whether or not it will harm his campaign, not about the culture of celebrity which makes Trump feel entitled to sexually abuse women in the full knowledge that he’ll get away with it.

Yes, I sincerely hope that it will end any forlorn hope he has of actually being elected, but there’s a huge opportunity being missed in the reporting, which frustrates me.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

@Theladyinsomnia

just wait until people hear your tape…

HRC whipped out Drumpf’s mixtape. He got his dude Billy B on the track. Shit is so fire, he lit himself up. The whole campaign self immolating…

But seriously, if it was the Clinton campaign, I hope they have more stuff in their pockets. 30+ days is too long to be comfortable. I hold no illusions about how quickly the electorate lets these things fade

Moggie
Moggie

He does know that people are not voting for Bill Clinton in November, right? That Bill and Hillary are two different people? And that everyone already knew that Bill can’t be trusted around women?

latsot
latsot
Reply to  Moggie

And that everyone already knew that Bill can’t be trusted around women?

That’s the bit that made my monocle fall out in amazement. It’s like saying “Well, Harold Shipman killed way more people than I did, as we discussed over a cosy dinner”.

Or like a school child being caught doing something wrong and naming everyone else who was doing it too. I’m not bitter.

msexceptiontotherule
msexceptiontotherule

They shouldn’t bother to vote for Stein or that Johnson dude who said he’d totally be able to sleep at night if Trump were elected either.

This is not the election to vote for a 3rd party candidate.

skybison
skybison

@Kootiepatra

I assume it’s because he’s tanking in the polls after the first debate. It’s clear that any chance he could win is gone and only very stupid rats don’t abandon a sinking ship.

Also, don’t know if this has been mentioned here yet, but in case not, it’s good to remind people there is something worse then Donald Trump: Donald Trump Supporters.

Journalist writes a piece where they say bad (and presumably accurate) stuff about Trump. Trump fans know that this reporter suffers from epilepsy so they start sending him gifs that would trigger epilepsy. …Luckily the worst thing that happened was that he dropped his tablet when opening up one of them by mistake.

(((Chiomara)))
(((Chiomara)))

Hey, hello!
First of all, fuck Trump. I hope hell exists just so he can burn there.

Second, I heard the desperate call for brain bleach, so I’m posting it!
Since this is an open thread I would like to inform you I became a godmother to a few stray kittens and their mommy, who decided to give birth where I work. I had to move 22 boxes of beer bottles to find the kittens, she hid them so well… My arms are so sore, but totally worth it.

They are at my home now. I brought them without my mother’s knowledge or consent, HAHAHA, we had a fight, but she simply couldn’t deny them a home when she saw their faces.
They are all locked in my bedroom so my jealous cat doesn’t find out about them :p
I made them a nest with a big basket, newspapers and a furred fabric so they sleep warm and tight ^^
I already found future loving homes for all of them! I am just so ridiculously happy. I love kittens (duh), but above that, it just feels good to do something good. I don’t feel this whole in years.

Oh, as I didn’t want to flood the thread, I made a imgur album with all the pics. It includes my hand very badly scratched by this little black gentleman while I was trying to take him out of his hiding place, a pic of his sister, a picture of his nest (he spilled the water within three minutes), and a pic of his beautiful (though painfully skinny) mommy breastfeeding. And a BONUS PICTURE you’ll only find out if you click! Hint: It’s a sexy pantless bunny!
Here’s the link :

Ps: Sorry for the gray blur in the picture, I didn’t want to show faces there aren’t even my own in a place like this.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

Congratulation Chiomara 🙂

Potential Human Bean
Potential Human Bean

The kitten pictures were the exact prescription I needed filled.
Thank you.

They look so loved.

nparker
nparker

This very well may be the leak that sinks the ship. Disgusting behaviour. Anyone who actually defends this now is truly sickening- but it looks like the American media may finally be trying to pull their weight.

@latsot

I’m hoping the BBC’s Andrew Neil may have a go at coverage of it.

@Neurite

I’m not sure how it works in America, but over in Britain when the bus stops, the doors get opened automatically by the driver. I’ve never opened them myself and wouldn’t know how, and don’t really like the implications- I’m not like Trump.

Playonwords
Playonwords

MRAs will be all “Well how else do you expect a real man to act when women are so hateful”

PUAs advocates will praise his “Game”

Incels will want to copy him

MGTOWs will blame women and say that Donald should just leave them alone and fund robosex initiatives.

latsot
latsot

@Chiomara:

I consider this a successful and welcome derailment of the thread. Secret cats are among the best kind of cats. SECRET BLACK KITTENS tick every box I can think of.

Here is my own (not-so) secret black kitten(ish), looking terrifying and kind of like a dilophosaurus:

latsot
latsot

There’s a button. On this occasion, I don’t think the driver was there but finding the button is really not difficult. It’ll probably have a picture of a door next to it, or a sign saying “door”. Trump is definitely the sort of person who would stand outside any door until it opened, then assume it had opened for him alone.

You can take that as referring literally to the bus thing or as a metaphor for every single thing Trump has ever done. Works either way.

Zatar
Zatar

Ugh. Can’t say I’m surprised by this. But do you know who else needs to be called a piece of shit here? Billy Bush. Note that that’s his co-host and college that Trump is talking about. Not only does he join in with Trump’s talk but when there out of the car he sets up that skeevy as hell hug with that poor woman who’s just trying to do her job.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

That mic wasn’t hot. It was a disgusting pig. A 5 or 6 at best. Sad!

Corey Lewandowski’s reaction was, as usual, breathtakingly dense:

I think the American people know exactly who Donald Trump is…What has been such an attraction to Donald Trump is that he’s not a career politician. He doesn’t measure every word. He speaks from the heart. He speaks the way many times people talk around their dining room table.

WTF? “Pass the peas, grandma, let me grab your p****”?

Said no one, ever, at any dining table I’ve ever sat at.

It ain’t the heart he’s speaking from. Try a couple feet lower.

numerobis
numerobis

I think the American people know exactly who Donald Trump is

Which is apparently false, since there’s shock and horror at this where there wasn’t before.

I saw someone quoted as saying there’s an October surprise every election, but this election, it’s more an October advent calendar.

Skiriki
Skiriki

Well there are actual accounts of The Donald trying to grab said region without consent, so…

Anyway, of course the horrible slimebag which is Scott Adams has weighed in too. Vomit.

1 2 3 4