entitled babies hillary clinton PUA scott adams trump

Dilbert dude endorses The Donald, because Trump stands up for dead millionaires

Scott Adams, master persuader
Scott Adams, master persuader

The Pledge Drive has commenced! If you enjoy this blog, and can afford it, please click on the “donate” button below!  Thanks!

In June, Dilbert creator and insufferable human being Scott Adams pretended to endorse Hillary Clinton — because, he facetiously claimed, he was deathly afraid that Hillary’s fans would murder him in his sleep if he came out for Trump.

Now, having apparently concluded that he’d exhausted the humor potential of this belabored joke, Adams has traded in his fake endorsement of Hillary for a real endorsement of Donald Trump. (archived here). His stated reasons range from the stupid to the selfish, but the issue closest to his heart, and the one that seems to have inspired him to come out un-ironically for Trump, is … the estate tax.

Clinton, you see, has set forth a proposal to increase the estate tax to 65% for those with more than $500 million in net worth. As Adams figures it, everyone who’s accumulated at least $5 million or so will end up paying more as well. And that’s just plain “robbery by government.”

So Adams is plugging Trump because he believes The Donald will fight harder for the rights of dead millionaires.

Adams’ other reasons for supporting Trump make even less sense.

First off, he claims that nobody really knows whether Trump or Clinton will be better at dealing with terrorists or trade, or any of the other big complicated issues that tend to bedevil presidents.

“There are many things I don’t know,” Adams writes.

For example, I don’t know the best way to defeat ISIS. Neither do you. I don’t know the best way to negotiate trade policies. Neither do you. I don’t know the best tax policy to lift all boats. Neither do you. … So on most political topics, I don’t know enough to make a decision. Neither do you, but you probably think you do.

Ok, sure, I don’t have a plan to defeat ISIS. But Hillary does, while I’d be shocked if Trump could find Syria on a map, even if it were circled in red with a giant arrow pointing towards it. Hillary is a far from perfect candidate, but no one can doubt that she takes policy seriously and knows her shit. Trump, by contrast, is a giant screaming baby who knows less about government than a regular-sized screaming baby.

Let me put it this way. Would you prefer your Uber driver to be a) someone with a decent if not perfect driving record who knows every street in your city like the back of her hand, or b)

I have a secret plan to get you to the airport
I have a secret plan to get you to the airport

That said, I would definitely go for a ride with these gals.

Going my way?
Going my way?

Adams has other highly evolved reasons for preferring the last person who should ever be president of anything:

Trump and his fans are party animals:

It seems to me that Trump supporters are planning for the world’s biggest party on election night whereas Clinton supporters seem to be preparing for a funeral. I want to be invited to the event that doesn’t involve crying and moving to Canada.

Trouble is, I suspect that, regardless of who wins, a lot of Trump fans will be partying like this on election night:

Please do not save the invitation
Please do not save the invitation

While Adams claims to be too ignorant to make sense of any political issue besides the estate tax, he is somehow able to diagnose Hillary and her husband’s respective health by watching them on TV.

To my untrained eyes and ears, Hillary Clinton doesn’t look sufficiently healthy – mentally or otherwise – to be leading the country. … Likewise, Bill Clinton seems to be in bad shape too, and Hillary wouldn’t be much use to the country if she is taking care of a dying husband on the side.

Trump apparently thinks like a pickup artist circa 2005:

Self-proclaimed pickup artists used to talk constantly about using the neurolinguistic programming (NLP) techniques of “pacing and leading” to manipulate women into having the sex. Adams thinks Trump is the “pacing and leading” master:

Trump always takes the extreme position on matters of safety and security for the country, even if those positions are unconstitutional, impractical, evil, or something that the military would refuse to do. … Trained persuaders like me see this as something called pacing and leading. Trump “paces” the public – meaning he matches them in their emotional state, and then some. … Once Trump has established himself as the biggest bad-ass on the topic, he is free to “lead,” which we see him do by softening his deportation stand, limiting his stop-and-frisk comment to Chicago, reversing his first answer on penalties for abortion, and so on. If you are not trained in persuasion, Trump look scary. If you understand pacing and leading, you might see him as the safest candidate who has ever gotten this close to the presidency.

Adams loves being “persuaded” by Trump and thinks ISIS will too:

The battle with ISIS is … a persuasion problem. The entire purpose of military action against ISIS is to persuade them to stop, not to kill every single one of them. We need military-grade persuasion to get at the root of the problem. Trump understands persuasion … .

In short, Scott Adams continues to be a massive disappointment to any decent people who might have once thought his comics and books were sort of funny.

And he really doesn’t understand persuasion at all.

NOTE: During this Pledge Drive, every post on We Hunted the Mammoth will contain at least one picture of a capybara. Here is the capybara for this post:

Chillin, capybara-style
Chill Capybara says: DONATE!

Thanks for your support!

Kat
Kat

His stated reasons [for supporting Trump] range from the stupid to the selfish.

I cannot distinguish between this Dilbert creator’s rationale (ha, ha!) and the rationale (snort) of all other Trump supporters.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

This is the perfect Trump endorsement. It so perfectly describes the mindset of his supporters. Happily ignorant authoritarians who are easily suckered into a cult of personality.

Aunt Podger
Aunt Podger

I will admit to being a stereotypical humorless feminist w/r/t Adams: I can’t tell where his true persona and his joke persona begin and end. I think this is supposed to be hilarious, but it just doesn’t get to me. Then again, when I used to date, I was a conventionally-pretty woman who preferred men to be my height or slightly shorter (everything lines up so nicely), so in Adams’ world, I don’t exist and am not a viable audience for comprehensible jokes.

Grogepi
Grogepi

Hate to be the asshole in the room, but if they were into Dilbert, they only have themselves to blame.

Now when Frank Miller throws out his Trump endorsement (as he inevitably will at some point), I’ll be here hoping you guys can cheer me up with cat-vines…

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Trained persuaders like me see this as something called pacing and leading.

Trained persuader, huh? For being such a trained persuader, why don’t so many people find your ideas at all appealing, Mr Dilbert?

I just love it when they do this and write their biases into the damn argument they’re making.

Adams, dude, if he looks scary to someone who doesn’t have specialized training, they aren’t gonna be persuaded. No better evidence that your ideas are bullshit than that!

Keep it up, though, you’re a font of hilarity! Way better than that boring-ass comic strip.

Weird (not wired) Eddie
Weird (not wired) Eddie

Hey, sounds like a plan! Let’s just punt everything we as a nation have CLAIMED to stand for and go with our basest self-serving wants. We’ve got someone here who can “pace and lead” us in that very direction!! Thanx, Scot, I’m all in (/s)… far as I’m concerned, Dumpster and fanboy Scott Adams can both “park and walk”….

Kat
Kat

Echoing Scildfreja, WTever-lovingF.

Pacing and leading, my ass. Same old, same old fascist BS — this time with a pretty frosting.

Kat
Kat

David Futrelle tweeted (see the right column) that he’ll be live-screaming the debate tonight. Ha, ha — you and me both, David. Mind the kitties’ sensitive ears!

For those not within 10 blocks of David’s home, Democracy Now! will be live-streaming the debate from 8:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Eastern time. That includes discussions before and after the debate.

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

I’m a trained persuader; it is my job after all. I even know what BATNA means. Now I’m not saying I’m necessarily any good at it, but the people who taught me were and they tended not to endorse the ‘lie through your teeth, yell and be completely incomprehensible’ approach.

Of course that might just be a British thing.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Where did he receive this persuasion training? I looked on Wikipedia and found that his education is in economics. I’m not sure what that has to do with persuasion, but it does lead me to wonder about why he’s so ignorant. Doesn’t his economics background at least give him some of the tools to educate himself about fiscal policy. At least more tools than the average person.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

For example, I don’t know the best way to defeat ISIS.

Hmmm.

The battle with ISIS is … a persuasion problem. The entire purpose of military action against ISIS is to persuade them to stop, not to kill every single one of them. We need military-grade persuasion to get at the root of the problem.

HMMMMM.

Self awareness, what is it.

Dalillama

So on most all political topics, I don’t know enough to make a decision.

Fixed that for ya, Scott.

Neither do you, but you probably think you do.

I absolutely guarantee that I’m orders of magnitude more informed on literally any political or economic topic whatsoever than either Scott Adams or Donald Trump. Although I may be giving them too much credit.

Daughter of Bilitis

Okay, but… the picture of those pugs made my day. I can’t stop smiling.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

See, he’s a very smart man, so he naturally accrues training by just existing! He gets it all through osmosis by existing in environments. Formal education and practice are wasted on him, when he can just soak up the skill-juices of others!

That’s what bein a very smart man is all about, and he knows he’s a very smart man. It all started when his mother told him he was a very smart boy, and so he learned that he didn’t have to do anything to be a smartie-smart. He just gets to poop out his golden opinions all over, and gets head-pats for bein so smart!

(er… that may have been waaaay more snark than I’m used to posting, mea culpa)

Dalillama

@WWTH

I looked on Wikipedia and found that his education is in economics.

No, his education is in finance, which is totally different.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Okay, but… the picture of those pugs made my day. I can’t stop smiling.

I don’t know. They look to me like pampered entitled females who probably sit around and eat bonbons while some poor beta male pugs slave away to provide them with all those fancy cars and lavish fashions. They’re probably the harem to that alpha thug dog pictured above. The one in the dangerous bad boy red car.

I support the MPGTOW (male pugs going their own way) movement.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

comment image

Troubelle
Troubelle

I should have expected nothing less.

Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger
Axecalibur: Middle Name Danger

I have no earthly idea how to defeat ISIS

Lemme explain how Trump can beat ISIS

De. Plor. A. Ble

I won’t be watching the debates either. Made that mistake 4 years ago. I’ll get the high (or more likely low) lights later

Kootiepatra

Dear Dilbert man, please install wall-to-wall LEGO carpet in your house at your earliest convenience.

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy

I don’t know how to best defeat ISIS either. But i can think of a way to help prevent new terrorists being created. Education, infrastructure, humanitarian aid. Military operations are important, but you need something to help them after the troops ”ride in to save the day”, as it were. Without it, the cycle just starts all over again.

Kimstu
Kimstu

Because of course the President of the United States has absolutely no resources available to help in caring for a seriously ill spouse (even if Bill Clinton were to become seriously ill, for which prediction there seems to be zero evidence other than Scott Adams’s unsupported say-so).

Mind you, President Bill Clinton was raising a teenage daughter for the eight years of his administration, while President Barack Obama has been raising two daughters from ages seven and ten to fifteen and eighteen respectively during his time in office. But of course, a President’s family responsibilities aren’t a cause for concern unless the President happens to have a vagina.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

The Dilbert guy looks like the dad from Calvin & Hobbes but without the charm and charisma.

weirwoodtreehugger: communist bonobo

Were Abraham Lincoln and Gerald Ford unfit to be president because of their spouse’s respective mental illness and substance abuse issues? By Adams’ logic, yes!

Aunt Podger
Aunt Podger

Well, if certain sources are to be believed, Edith Wilson did alright Presiding while her husband Woodrow was very unwell indeed. However, I understand that there is a great deal of debate as to the degree to which she exercised her authority. Perhaps she should have done more of it; I heard somewhere that she was uncomfortable with Mr. Wilson’s bald and egregious racism.

kupo
kupo

I have a coworker who every now and then will ask if anyone reads Dilbert and then proceed to explain the latest one he read to us. There was a time when I would have just mentally compared him to Andy Dick’s character on News Radio, but the more I learn about Scott Adams it makes me wonder how much this coworker agrees with the author of those comics. Sigh. I’d much rather think about Andy Dick than the dick who wrote those comics.

Troubelle
Troubelle

@Kupo, re: Dilbert otherperson

Has this person ever gotten a response to the tune of “please stop”?

Falconer
Falconer

You say, “pacing and leading”
I say, “walking back your previous comments”
Let’s call the whole thing off

kupo
kupo

@Troubelle
No. This isn’t the battle I’m going to fight. I’m slowly working on challenging his perceptions, mostly using the Socratic method, and maybe one day I’ll say something like, “oh, didn’t the author of that comic say xyz recently?” But I’m not about to ask him to stop in a blunt way because honestly it’s not worth it.

latsot
latsot

Adams’ books mention (far too many times) that he once took a hypnotism class, decades ago.

I expect this is what he regards his ‘credentials’ as a ‘trained persuader’ to be.

HawkerHurricane
HawkerHurricane

Scott Adams has gone from mocking the pointy haired boss to endorsing him for President.

Michael P
Michael P

Is it just me, or does that “I don’t know; you don’t either” line sound like he’s making an argument against democracy?

Troubelle
Troubelle

@ Kupo

Ah. Understandable. I’m just the kind of person that tries to clear out all annoyances from the space around them.

Skiriki
Skiriki

WELL IF SCOTT ADAMS DOESN’T KNOW, MAYBE HE SHOULD SPEND THAT HOUR IN MASTERING THAT SKILL, LIKE HE BOASTED EARLIER.

Skiriki
Skiriki

Screencap of the relevant tweet, if people have forgotten.

PocketNerd
PocketNerd

Thus Spake ZaraAunt Podger:

The joke is there’s no joke persona. He really is an asshole.

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

Skiriki, that was awesome.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Adams strikes me as one of those dark enlightenment assholes who believe in ‘enlightened despotism’. Otherwise known as outright tyranny. Of course, they all think they’re super-smartie-smart mans, so naturally they should be the one in charge. (The most smartiest of them, like Adams here, realize that they probably couldn’t be in-charge in-charge, so they instead want someone else to be in charge, as long as that someone else is someone who happens to agree with them on everything)

PeeVee the Sarcastic
PeeVee the Sarcastic

If Scott Adams hasn’t mastered penning a funny comic in 27 years, I’m not real confident he can master anything other than putting his foot in his mouth.

latsot
latsot

Skiriki:

It makes me wonder whether the “top experts” all learned their mad skillz through one hour’s tutelage per topic from each other.

It’s not surprising that Adams thinks experience is the same as an A4 sheet full of scribbled bullet points.

Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy
Makroth - Agent of the Great Degeneracy

@Skiriki

If someone as clueless as Trump can run for president, maybe he’s partially right.

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

@Scildfreja:
I’ve been thinking a bit about the Dark Enlightenment (ever since I declared myself to be the king of it) and it occurs to me that there’s a basic difference between it and other extremist movements.

Communists – as Dalillama and Virgin Mary will remind us – gather in cooperatives and practise communism on a small scale. In some places, such as in Emilia Romagna, they have been fairly successful. Anarchists do likewise, often as squatters. Extremely religious people sometimes form religious communities and live under the rule of their priests in the way that they hope everyone would. Even fascists have been known to obey their petty führers.

The same applies to non-extremist groups: feminists live and behave the way we hope the world would live and behave, for example. Everyone forms their own little community and applies their own political theory to it, because they genuinely believe that this is the best political theory.

Everyone except the neo-reactionaries.

I am not aware of anyone, from Curtis “Mencius Moldbug” Yarvin to Davis “poor man’s Anton Levi” Aurini, who has formed such a community and is obeying the dictates of their king, or who even acknowledges a king in the first place. They just seem to be standing around thinking that it would be great if there was one.

Even worse, when I tell them that there is one and it’s me, they fail to obey my commands but instead expect me to read long tiresome blog posts by people who are not kings.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

“Pacing and leading”?

Dude, we’re not Lippizanner horses. What a sinister view of the electorate.

“I have absolutely no credentials and no idea what I’m talking about”, followed by baseless innuendo. Is that how they train persuaders these days?

I don’t even know what he’s looking at when he says Clinton isn’t healthy. Last night I saw a bright, alert, engaged, confident woman, and a fidgety, sniffing man who couldn’t stop rambling, groaning, and interrupting. I would love to have even half of Hillary’s stamina and intellect, and I’m 20 years younger.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@EJ, hadn’t thought of that, but you’re totally right! Thinking about it, it’s the same with the Randian Libertarians – they never go off to make Galt’s Gulch, and they don’t ever seem to want to do so.

I think that the big thing about the Dork Enlightenment and their neo-monarchy nonsense is that it’s not about making their lives better, it’s about imposing their will. Communists and Anarchists (and, like you said, some fascists even) make their little communities with their own rules because they think it’s better, and want to live that way. These neo-reactionaries don’t do so, because they don’t want their lives to be better, they want to shape the lives of others to fit a ‘better’ pattern.

Whether it’s a power fantasy or an honest desire to improve society, I don’t know – probably a mix. But yeah, there’s certainly a difference between them and the left-leaning groups.

(Aside, gotta wonder if that’d be a more useful way of classifying political agendas and structures – whether it’s something that can be successfully applied to small groups, or whether it requires enforcing it upon the rest of the host society. Seems to me that that might be useful from a semantic viewpoint; maybe more than the “left vs right” divide)

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

That’s an interesting idea. Some ideas work well only when they have buy-in from everyone in society and so are better suited to the small scale; others work only when they’re globally enforced.

The great Karl Popper, of whom I am an immense fan for his writings on science, said that liberal democracy is the strongest form of society because it is capable of coping with internal dissent. I’m not a political scientist, but it sounds convincing to me.

Dalillama

@EJ (TOL)

There’s actually been a considerable amount of overlap between these two categories, historically speaking. I’m most familiar with the Christian varieties, as there’s more stuff in English about them, but I’m aware of Muslim, Hindu, and Buddhist examples as well.

The most prominent Christian example would probably be the Diggers , or Levellers. These were a group in 17th century England who maintained that living a truly Christian life meant eliminating all earthly hierarchies and sharing all land and goods in common. They implemented this by tearing down the enclosures and farming the old commons, until the army was sent in to shoot them all and burn their homes.

Schnookums Von Fancypants, Social Justice Wario
Schnookums Von Fancypants, Social Justice Wario

Not that this should come as a surprise to…well anyone, but Scott Adams consistently sounds like what a stupid person thinks a smart person is.

PocketNerd
PocketNerd

Så snakker Scildfreja Unnýðnes:

Exactly. Authoritarians don’t necessarily want to hold the whip; they just want to see the right people getting whipped.

EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

Thank you, Dalillama. I was vaguely aware of the Diggers (thanks to The Devil’s Whore) but you sent me on a deliciously fun reading binge and I learned a lot!

Dalillama

@EJ(TOL)
You’re welcome :). I hadn’t heard of The Devil’s Whore, but it looks interesting, and I want to find a copy now.